Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Why did the cameras focus on a tattoo of the new champ's ankle at the end of the show?

Because in the bio blurb, the old champion mentioned being a hard core Stones fan.  To such an extent that she has a tattoo of the band's logo.  I think the camera person just focused on the wrong ankle.  That stumped me too, I was like um, why are we looking at a ladybug or button or whatever the hell...?  To their credit, whatever new champion's tat was, at first glance it does actually resemble the Stones' tongue logo.   The shot widens and the old champion is covered head to toe, long sleeves, long pants.  Hilarious.

I couldn't watch last night and gather I missed the Contestant from Hell.

You have no idea :P

If you can, you should just watch the first five minutes, just to get a sense of what it was like. And then imagine a full episode of that. She had totally driven me nuts by the first commercial break.

Every shot of the contestants before they buzzed in, she waved the buzzer around at shoulder level, kept pressing it wildly, and then made a very exaggerated disappointed face whenever she didn't get to answer - most likely because she locked herself out with her constant buzzer pressing.

Every. Single. Question.

• Love 6

Egads! I'm sorry I missed it. Which, if I don't get my cable installation problems straightened out in my new home, I may be missing a lot. My main worries about TV are watching Jeopardy! and my football team. Everything else I can watch online or through Amazon.

• Love 1

Because in the bio blurb, the old champion mentioned being a hard core Stones fan.  To such an extent that she has a tattoo of the band's logo.  I think the camera person just focused on the wrong ankle.  That stumped me too, I was like um, why are we looking at a ladybug or button or whatever the hell...?

Natalie expressed her devotion to coffee; I thought it was a cup of you-know-what.  When will Jeopardy stop shilling the Steve Jobs movie?  It's getting tiresome. 

• Love 4

When will Jeopardy stop shilling the Steve Jobs movie?  It's getting tiresome. 

Earlier this week there was a category about Jobs and I didn't think anything of it, until somebody on these boards mentioned the movie about him due to come out soon.  Today during Jeopardy there was a TV commercial for the movie (which is odd because the show's on in the late afternoon here and they rarely show commercials for movies then.)  Then, a minute later, there was an official Jeopardy sponsorship message about the movie (as they often do with Aleve).  So, yeah, that Steve Jobs category earlier this week was not an innocent coincidence.  Wish they wouldn't choose categories based on their sponsors.

• Love 2

Yes. He said cute. Ugh.

I didn't get FJ, but I was thinking it was a French photography guy. So... I was kind of close?

I liked Natalie. Very competent and knowledgeable. I was amused that in her little talk with Alex, she said her office mates "give her crap" about her coffee drinking. I wonder if anyone has said "crap" on Jeopardy before.

I liked Audrey too, and I'm sorry she didn't do better. 

That 3D-printed car was amazing.

I'm surprised no one got 'barge' for Cleopatra. I don't know the bar or whatever in Vegas, but I thought it was pretty well-known that she floated down the Nile on a barge, at least in the Shakespeare play.

• Love 2
I'm surprised no one got 'barge' for Cleopatra. I don't know the bar or whatever in Vegas, but I thought it was pretty well-known that she floated down the Nile on a barge, at least in the Shakespeare play.

I thought so too. When Audrey said "ship," I thought she would be prompted to be more specific. Or is a barge not considered a type of ship?

• Love 1

I was shouting Elmer Gantry at Audrey but she did not hear me. I liked Audrey but I like the new champion better, hope she stays a while..

I know who Matthew Brady was but I couldn't come up with anything for FJ.  It was a head smack when the answer was revealed.

• Love 2

I'm glad at least someone got FJ last night.  I thought it was easy, but I guess one had to know that Matthew Brady was a famous photographer and that the daguerrotype was a form of very early photograph.

Wasn't her personal anecdote basically, "I like coffee?" Admittedly I wasn't paying full attention, but… seriously, come up with something better. Anything better. 

She could've talked endlessly about her husband sending her flowers via the kremlin in some Russian city.  (Not THE KREMLIN in Moscow, which is what Alex made it sound like at first.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

I thought so too. When Audrey said "ship," I thought she would be prompted to be more specific. Or is a barge not considered a type of ship?

Technically, no, a barge is not a ship.  'Ship' is a very specific designation for naval craft and a barge does not meet those specifications.  But in general usage, maybe, so I was a bit surprise Audrey's answer didn't merit a 'be more specific' from Alex.

I've heard of daguerreotypes but had no idea they were named after a person. My lack of knowledge of the name Mathew Brady hamstrung me on that one. Anyways when I hear Brady my first thought is always to go to James Brady which certainly did not fit in the context of 1851.

• Love 1

If I knew who Mathew Brady was, I may have been able to come up with FJ. Alas, I do not.

Oh, mojoween, I have to say this astounded me. Then I assumed you must not be from the United States so did not study the Civil War. So that lets you off the hook. (Please, tell me I am correct!)

I missed yesterday's show so am catching up here. I hate when I get behind!

Sorry Saber, born and bred in New York State!

I've been thinking about it since yesterday and realized that I do not have a working knowledge of pre mid-century photographers.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I saw an article that was posted on Twitter and the headline read "We Talked to the Hero Who Pranked Alex Trebek."

I haven't read it, don't know if I want to, because not only does the headline piss me off but the photo they used made me stabby.

• Love 5

I saw an article that was posted on Twitter and the headline read "We Talked to the Hero Who Pranked Alex Trebek."

There's an article on Yahoo! about Turd-gate, too.  The Talia hype train continues on its blah-blah way.  Before it's all over with, Talia will be the most famous loser since Kato Kaelin.

• Love 3

I don't know the Greek alphabet, so I was just going thru Roman numerals hoping some combination sounded good. LI? MI? IM? CIV? Needless to say, I didn't get it.

I did, however, get a couple of TSs. The first one, clue, came after a second's hesitation. I also got Bill Clinton, which should have been a gimme since the title of the book had Hope in it. And I also got Captain Blood and Ulysses Grant.

I got a chuckle out of Alex telling Eric that Natalie and Tina were cleaning his clock.

I didn't know Lady Gaga was an extra on The Sopranos. Cool.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 3

I didn't know Lady Gaga was an extra on The Sopranos. Cool.

She was one of A. J.'s classmates in the episode The Telltale Moozadell.  While A. J. and others vandalized the school swimming pool, she sat on the bleachers, smoking a cigarette. 

Note to self:  Learn more about the Greek alphabet.  To prove my ignorance, I chose lambda because the L would also represent the number 50.  I've had a sorry track record this week for FJ's.

• Love 1

Having the first $200 clue of the Jeopardy round be a TS did not set a good tone for this game, but it turned out well for Natalie.

That Lake Victoria DD clue in the Jeopardy round was WAY too easy.  And they were really generous about that continental plate answer that Natalie gave as well.

I'm surprised that Tina missed that Turing DD in the DJ round since there was an Oscar-nominated movie about him just last year (The Imitation Game) and a movie about a Turing test scenario (Ex-Machina) this year.

FJ was way too easy.  Like Teen Tournament easy.

Natalie looked much more stylish in that green outfit yesterday.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

There was a Greek letter FJ a few months ago, which I didn't get, so I studied up on the Greek alphabet - it apparently all faded from my mind because I couldn't come up with XI.

I agree, Natalies' green outfit was very stylish.

• Love 2

I'm surprised that Tina missed that Turing DD in the DJ round since there was an Oscar-nominated movie about him just last year (The Imitation Game) and a movie about a Turing test scenario (Ex-Machina) this year.

I knew who the clue was asking for, but I just couldn't pull the name out of my brain. I might have just said, "Who is Benedict Cumberbatch."

• Love 4

I love my Mohu Leaf antenna!

Someone needs to tell me about this new-fangled invention because I cannot get CBS or the CW, and I've fooled with buying all sorts of antennas (antenni?).

FJ was way too easy.  Like Teen Tournament easy.

Ha ha! I'm heading off now to sign up for the Jeopardy! Pre-School Week.

• Love 1

I don't know the Greek alphabet, so I was just going thru Roman numerals hoping some combination sounded good. LI? MI? IM? CIV? Needless to say, I didn't get it.

Yeah, FJ was a washout for me too.  I did well during the rest of the game, at least.

• Love 3

Congrats to Natalie on her third win - that's a pretty impressive total for three days.  She is very likable.

I thought of The Prince for FJ but just wasn't sure enough to give it as the answer.  As crazy as Mussolini was, The Little Prince was probably just as good a guess - although, of course, it wasn't written during the Renaissance.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

The Pancho Villa quote was beyond painful.

At the time, I thought his Julia Child would be the worst of the evening.  And then came the Pancho Villa clue.  That one wasn't just bad, it was offensive, because I don't think he was attempting to imitate one individual's voice, but instead just doing a terrible cliché of a Mexican accent in general.

FJ was one of those, "Well, it must be X" clues for me -- I didn't specifically know the book had been referred to that way, but from the information given and the show's traditionally shallow exploration of non-American subjects, I figured the obvious guess was the right one.

I didn't watch last week, so tonight was my introduction to the champ.  I like her, and like the bopping along to the J! music she did after writing her FJ answer.

I also thought the Mexican accent was offensive.

I'm glad Gordon didn't win solely because his shirt was displaying terribly on my tv.

I doubted myself on The Prince. I knew it was Machiavelli (and I have no idea why I knew that since I'm weak on history). I liked Sue's little bit of commentary. It's like she knows the Internet will judge ;)

• Love 1