Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

My 16 year old walked into the room in time to see Matt announced as the champion.   She said oh my God! mom that is legit, the scariest thing I've ever seen! Ewww, he looks like the guy in the health class stranger danger movies. 

• Love 3

Yeah, presidential salary is not what I'd call "common knowledge," because I too had last heard it back in high school civics or something ($200k).

That's the amount I remember learning as a kid. Can't believe it's doubled since then but then again the job has gotten a lot tougher.

I've peeked in at the beginning of this week's games but I'm gonna wait until Alex is on to watch a full episode.

• Love 1

I'm sorry, but I liked Matt then and I like him now (ducking tomatoes). He's smart, he doesn't make wild guesses, he's quick (to most of you that equals rude) and he clears the boards. In ToC they actually showed a picture of Ronny Reagan?!? Holy shit.

• Love 3

I'm with Mystery Author, I like Matt, much better than some that waste so much time trying to decide which clue to pick. 

I don't usually watch the end of the show when the chat with Alex, but did this time.   And, it looked to me like Alex was snubbing Matt, but maybe it was just that Matt chose not to participate.

• Love 3

I also like Matt, his no-nonsense attitude and his questionable social skills make him truly adorkable to me. Plus he truly is a phenomenal Jeopardy player. Extremely smart and doesn't buzz in with wrong answers all the time (last week was full of those types, argh).

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, ABay said:

That was one of the most poorly-worded FJ clues I can remember seeing. 

It was hard to figure out.  I didn't get it the first time around and I didn't get it this time since I had forgotten it.

• Love 1

In ToC they actually showed a picture of Ronny Reagan?!? Holy shit.

That was unbelievable. I thought it was enough of a huge hint that the clue said this person was president in 1982, but then to include a photo? Wow. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

That was unbelievable. I thought it was enough of a huge hint that the clue said this person was president in 1982, but then to include a photo? Wow. 

I felt like a dinosaur.   Wouldn't it make more sense as teen tournament stumper?  Surely anybody over 20 knows him on sight...? 

9 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I'm sorry, but I liked Matt then and I like him now (ducking tomatoes). He's smart, he doesn't make wild guesses, he's quick (to most of you that equals rude) and he clears the boards. In ToC they actually showed a picture of Ronny Reagan?!? Holy shit.

Lol.  Weird thing is I like Matt too, for all the reasons you mentioned.   Anybody who demonstrably doesn't give a damn about Trebek's meandering is alright with me.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I'm confused. Is the Tournament of Champions new? The one I started yesterday, Alex said it was Veterans Day and they had a special category with Eric Stonestreet. ???

This is last year's ToC. Jeopardy is on hiatus for the Olympics.

• Love 1

Matt was rude because he did not let Alex finish sentences, like yes, pick a clue.  That's just rude, has nothing to do,with how smart he is.  I'm so glad he lost.  Today's game was interrupted by President Obama.

• Love 2

Can we just have Kerry (smart as a whip), Andrew (good looking as all get out - yes, I'm shallow) and Elliot (funny and charming) back at the beginning of the new season to play one game a week?  They were enjoyable to watch.

• Love 7
On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:36 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

Wow, I remembered Matt was an asshat, but I positively loathed watching him again.  If there's a nasty, lethal, barking rodent it should be named Matt.

That FJ was an instaget.  I swear I don't remember it from before.  My mind's a sieve.

I skipped this game because I loathe Matt, and am only going to watch the final so that I can seem him lose all over again.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I grew to really like Matt. He's odd, and I disliked him at first. But somehow he wormed his way into my heart. So I'm happy to see him again.

"Wormed" possibly being the operative word.  ;o)

• Love 5

I like Kerry a lot.  I wish she would be the Tournament Champion, but I guess that doesn't happen based on the posts here. I honestly can't remember from watching it last time.  Maybe because I so strongly dislike the guy who did win. 

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 2

I disliked him a lot less during the ToC than in his regular-season play.  Back then we didn't have Matt to compare him to, so there's that.  And something seems to have made him more likable on his own.  Maybe marriage.  Whatever she did, at least she got him to stop scratching himself.

• Love 3

I did feel sorry for the guys who had to play him today.  It was funny about practicing with the toilet roll holder.  Also funny, "What is Aleve."  Yet, I still can't stand him.

• Love 2

Shoot, here I go again. Sorry, but I like Alex for the same reasons I like Matt. Intelligent, quick, clears the board, and I had forgotten about Aleve which made me LOL (again). With Alex I keep saying, "How the fuck does he KNOW this?" And, for the second time I couldn't get FJ (dammit).

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I disliked him a lot less during the ToC than in his regular-season play.  Back then we didn't have Matt to compare him to, so there's that.  And something seems to have made him more likable on his own.  Maybe marriage.  Whatever she did, at least she got him to stop scratching himself.

He was truly sweet when he told the story of the wedding cake his wife made - and seemed very much in love. So that softened him up a bit for me. I don't really remember if I liked him during the regular season or not. But he is brilliant - and I love that.

• Love 2

I haaaaaated Alex during his run until his very last day and then became fully enamored during his TOC (except for his annoying FJ habit).

Matt I also loathed and during his TOC run I loathed him less but did not fall in love.

• Love 4

Matt never really bothered me.  He seemed like a little kid who really loved that he got to play Jeopardy.  I can understand, though, why he bothered some people.  Alex always looks bored, like he's way too smart and above playing this stupid little game.  I also hate that he seems to hesitate when it benefits him (maybe to run out the clock, I don't know).  Like when AT had to keep prompting him to pick a dollar amount for his DD clue.  And his pulling out the answer at the last minute like it just came to him.  Please.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

At first I thought it was the heat and constant drone of my A/C making me stabby.  Then I realized it was Matt the Barking Rodent. 

Even though I like Matt, I love your Barking Rodent analogy! 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I couldn't believe no one knew Ethyl Kennedy.

Hee. And her brother Gas Kennedy. Anyway, I couldn't come up with her first name in time. I can't recall if I remembered the complete answer the first time this played.

Yeah, Matt bugged me just as much this time. I try to keep in mind that a player may be nervous or may be trying to be funny, or in any case isn't really like that in real life, so let me just say that I don't like his on-screen persona.

I LOVED how after Andrew's FJ wrong answer was revealed, and Alex said it didn't really matter, Andrew shrugged jokingly, then turned to Catherine and shrugged, and she shrugged, and they giggled.

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Hee. And her brother Gas Kennedy.

Had a distant relative named Ethyline. I always wondered how they came up with that name - they were at the gas pump and just to end the debate, one of them said FINE, we'll name her Ethyline!?

I was astonished no one knew Ethel Kennedy either - but then the mister admitted he didn't recognize her either.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

About all I can say is that it was satisfying to see Matt not win and to blow everything on that DD.  I wish Kerry had won, but Alex was a gracious winner.

I don't know any of these guys so it was interesting to read all the comments about them here.  I'm so glad Alex won...it was a complete blowout.  The only time I came close to liking Matt was at the end...he was very gracious and clapped very enthusiastically for Alex.  And I was sure he was going to pitch a fit.  Not sure how Kerry even got in the finals...she seemed almost intimidated by the boys.  But this was my first exposure to her and she may have been brilliant on regular Jeopardy.

• Love 1

I generally like both Alex and Matt, but I think Alex has a tic that is farrrrrr more irritating than anything Matt ever did. It's whenever Alex gets a DD, then takes until the last possible nanosecond to blurt out the answer after putting on exaggerated "oh gee, I dunno" faces. HE KNOWS, DAMMIT. He's just stalling to a ridiculous degree for, what, dramatic effect? He gets away with taking far more time than should actually be allowed. 

• Love 5

I think it's probably less a tic than a strategy, to slow down the game as much as possible when he's ahead.  But it really is irritating.  Last game he almost waited too long (or maybe he did--that's how it sounded to me), but they gave it to him.  It might've made him rethink that gambit if he'd actually been buzzed out.  I'd still rather live with that than with Matt's psycho-killer smile, though.

• Love 5

I think sometimes Alex is just running through his head again to make sure he hasn't overlooked something or misread the clue.  Too often you see players blurt something out quickly and then realize they missed something that made a different response the right answer.

In other news, in the Saturday re-run, I saw Vaughn's first episode--it was weird since I just saw him in the Tournament of Champions to see him in the challenger position again.

• Love 2