Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

It was definitely before the 2014 Teen Tournament, because that's how its winner was determined.  Of course the kid I disliked won.

Tiebreakers in tournaments were around before the regular-play rule change. There's a history of them here.

Well, that was a  . . . palate cleanser, I guess.

Ha, that's an excellent way to put it!

I was hoping Todd would win. For TS I got hack and recession. I'd never heard that analogy to describe recession but thought it was a good one.

Katina was just too extra for me. And “Bachelorette”?? Yeah that sounds academic *eyeroll* I don't watch the stories so I didn't know what the heck she was talking about with "Gnomey's been there". I know a little kid named Nomi and my mind went to him which is ridiculous but confused me even more...

My embarrassing FJ guess was Stephen Hawking.

• Love 2

I got FJ based on the Latin alone and thought it was extremely easy with all the clues given. Apparently the two "Notre Dame" guessers stopped listening after "Catholic university." SMDH. I like the new champ for the most part. Not annoying...yet.

• Love 6

Congrats to Courtney - I like her too. They were all okay in this game.

The J round was fairly slow but it picked up in DJ.

I did really well on the ts's tonight: George Eliot, St. Vincent, Edna Ferber, USS Missouri, Molly Malone and the missed DD of Potemkin.

FJ came to me about a split second before Courtney's answer was revealed - so I give it to myself as a get:).  Two contestants guessing Notre Dame (Our Lady) was pretty bad.

Six weeks with no Jeopardy! I'll probably watch at least some of the reruns but it just isn't the same as new games.

• Love 5

I admit, Notre Dame crossed my mind for a half second, then I focused on the Latin, too -- and would have had plenty of time to write it down.

Anyone else automatically say "Next Tuesday" after Alex announced the "C-U" category?  Just me, then?  Okay....  :)

I liked that the DD was in the $400 spot -- I guess they're trying to thwart the DD hunters who start with the higher value clues.

I was very sad that no one knew Pern (I love those books -- at least the ones written by Anne only).  I also got Chrysanthemum, verb, Elton John, USS Missouri (Mo was a huge hint), and Molly Malone, which I immediately started singing and now can't get out of my head.

I like the new champ.  Too bad we have to wait six whole weeks before we see her again.

• Love 10

I couldn't believe there were so many ridiculous TS's. I wish we could get an entire new set of contestants when new episodes start. Idiots! But thank God, at least the new champ knows Suri as Tom Cruise's daughter. What a redeeming quality..... 

• Love 4

Congrats to Courtney.  She seems okay.

A ton of TS's and I only got a few - verb, Peter Frampton, Elton John, USS Missouri and Kells.  Lots of GGs (goofy guesses) tonight, too.

What was up with Alex giving away two clues with, "I'll call this one Caspar" and his Dracula accent?  STFU!

I know absolutely nothing about college basketball and got FJ instantly from the Latin.  

What am I going to do for six weeks without you lovely people?  Can we come here to bitch about the reruns?  I'm sure I'll find something new to snark about or just rehash old Moronic Moments.  ;-)

• Love 6
(edited)

I couldn't get Notre Dame out of my head even though I knew it was not it because the meaning was different. I don't even think I knew there was a school named Villa Nova. Not on my list of schools to apply for at any rate. I got TS's U.S.S. Missouri, Potemkin, & skeleton shrimp. Also Peter Frampton because I had a suitemate at school who played "Frampton Comes Alive" constantly and was wealthy, so had better speakers than anyone else in the building. And "Jeh" because I like to imagine he has a twin sister named "Meh".

Edited by NorthstarATL
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I liked that the DD was in the $400 spot -- I guess they're trying to thwart the DD hunters who start with the higher value clues.

I liked it, too.  Unfortunately, they waited a couple days too long to try it out.

4 minutes ago, NorthstarATL said:

And "Jeh" because I like to imagine he has a twin sister named "Meh".

If we can make them triplets with the third one named "Feh," I'm totally on board.

I'll still come here and talk to anybody who's feeling season withdrawal.  We can go through the shakes together.

• Love 6

I'm pretty sure all the knuckle-rapping nuns at my high school would be thrilled to know that all those years of trying to teach me Latin finally paid off in FJ.

• Love 3

Aww Northstar Villanova won one of the greatest ever NCAA basketball championship games this past March.  Just when you thought the evil Tar Heels hit the game-winning shot, the Wildcats hit the ACTUAL game-winner!

I didn't get the chance to watch tonight but I like to imagine I would have gotten FJ from what I'm seeing here.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was very sad that no one knew Pern (I love those books -- at least the ones written by Anne only). 

Came to the forum to say just that. My oldest daughter grew up reading them, one of our bonding activities.

• Love 5

I got quite a few TSs, but I can't recall any right now. I'm too tired.

For FJ my BIL immediately blurted out Notre Dame. I didn't think that was correct, but I couldn't think of anything else. 

I will miss Jeopardy. I may watch the repeats. At least that way I have a better chance of getting questions right.

• Love 2

I'll still come here and talk to anybody who's feeling season withdrawal.  We can go through the shakes together.

I'll come here and talk to you, Mondrianyone! I'll miss my J! friends more than AT (heh!)

In fact, the sleuth in my mystery series is addicted to J! ... and the Keven Bacon game :-)

If we can make them triplets with the third one named "Feh," I'm totally on board.

"Heh" for quadruplets?

• Love 4

They must also have a Canadian cousin named Eh.

I couldn't come up with villa because I got stuck on thinking "there's a university called Casanova?"

• Love 11

I couldn't come up with villa because I got stuck on thinking "there's a university called Casanova?"

It's like I have a twin!  I knew Casanova was probably wrong, but couldn't come up  with any other Nova except Chevy Nova and I knew for certain THAT was wrong.

• Love 4

I also said Casa Nova, but that is not a school and then I said to my son, what school has Novo in it? and he came up with Villanova so it was a combined effort- he knows all the colleges.

If they tie, isn't the champ whoever had the most going into FJ? If that is the case, he should not have bet anything.

• Love 1

My husband was bummed that he didn't get it - despite having taken Latin in school AND being a huge college basketball fan. I didn't get it either, I went down the wrong rabbit trail, trying to figure out a college that started with "Dom" (domicile). Boy did I feel stupid.

• Love 1

I'm a huge fan of college hoops so that, and 9th grade Latin, made FJ an instaget for me.

The TS I can remember getting were Peter Frampton, Elton John and USS Missouri, and I got the missed DDs chrysanthemum, verb and Potemkin.

It's hard to watch reruns when you already know who won but I guess it's better that six weeks with no Jeopardy at all... There's always the app too, I guess.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, operalover said:

I also said Casa Nova, but that is not a school and then I said to my son, what school has Novo in it? and he came up with Villanova so it was a combined effort- he knows all the colleges.

If they tie, isn't the champ whoever had the most going into FJ? If that is the case, he should not have bet anything.

No if there is a tie there is a tie breaker clue.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No if there is a tie there is a tie breaker clue.

I wish he would have bet zero and taken a chance on a tie breaker clue.  I'd like to see how they would do it.   Would we get to see it play out or would they just announce the winner?  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, SierraMist said:

I wish he would have bet zero and taken a chance on a tie breaker clue.  I'd like to see how they would do it.   Would we get to see it play out or would they just announce the winner?  

On the teen tournament which is the last time I remember a tie they showed the question. Don't know what would happen if they went through more than one question.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I can never remember who won so is new to me! 

Me too. The answers don't stick with me either, at least it doesn't improve my scores, so I'm making as much effort and having as much fun as usual. Though oddly, I don't feel the same way about Saturday Jeopardy reruns.

• Love 1

A Jeopardy clue about one of my favorite authors (women or men) and no one gets it!  Dear, departed Anne McCaffrey, if I had been on this particular game, I'd have been shouting "Pern" loud enough to be heard on the street.

Oh, and I got "Dreadnought" in the ship category whichever night that one was on.  Naval history is kind of a thing of mine, and the name "Dreadnought" goes back to the wars with Revolutionary France.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I for one am thrilled to watch the ToC rerun. Matt and Alex were such powerhouses, and fun to watch in my opinion (which may not be a popular one).

I'll probably watch just to see Alex beat the smirk off Matt's face.  And I wasn't even a fan of Alex during his original run.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, and I got "Dreadnought" in the ship category whichever night that one was on.  Naval history is kind of a thing of mine, and the name "Dreadnought" goes back to the wars with Revolutionary France.

In the first question of that category they showed a large ship and I said to myself "Dreadnought".  But when that actually was the answer at the end of the category, I had totally forgotten it.  I've quit kicking myself but I really felt stupid about missing that question.

• Love 2

Finally catching up on Friday's show

'Women Authors' as a category to close out Season 32 -- once again, can't the category just be 'Authors' and as a refreshing surprise have them all be women.  Come on clue writers.

What is with AT leading Courtney in that INS clue ?  And instead of saying BMS, he says "and ....".  That's deliberately helping the contestant -- not that it helped much.

None of them knew how much the President makes.  Really ?  And Jeh in 'Jeh Johnson' was also a TS.  Come on contestants, read a book, or lookup a web site.

That DD in the $400 spot in the DJ round really is an exception -- can't remember the last time that occurred.

About that Lusitania answer by Courtney -- 1st, not a battleship, and 2nd, it was sunk in a different war than the correct answer (Bismarck).

Battleship, Mighty Mo -- how was that a TS ?  Followed by Jim missing the DD on the most famous Russian battleship in history.

So many TS in the DD round.  And even then it still wasn't a runaway -- which was hard to believe.

And FJ was pretty badly guessed -- 2 out of 3 didn't know the latin word for 'new'.  Really ?  
I guess Barbra really did luck out beating Pranjal because she was simply unimpressive this game.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:07 PM, Browncoat said:

I have no problem putting the DDs in the $400 or $200 spot, just make the DDs tougher than regular questions instead of the cakewalks and gimmes that they have been recently.

On 7/29/2016 at 8:40 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

What was up with Alex giving away two clues with, "I'll call this one Caspar" and his Dracula accent?  STFU!

Combine that with the INS clue I mentioned above, and I'm wondering if AT still understands his role in the game -- he's not supposed to spoon feed the contestants answers.  And when he brought out the Dracula accent, I said 'What is a vampire fish ?", which is a real thing.  Would that have been accepted ?

I was really impressed when Jim pulled out Linda Eastman to that 'Work with a Beatle' clue. I had forgotten her maiden name.

I couldn't believe that with a category called "In September", there was no clue about Earth, Wind and Fire.  

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Finally catching up on Friday's show

'Women Authors' as a category to close out Season 32 -- once again, can't the category just be 'Authors' and as a refreshing surprise have them all be women.  Come on clue writers.

Wait...what?  Women are writing books now?  WTF?  Next these career gals will be doctors, lawyers, maybe even astronauts lol.  Can you even imagine a lady astronaut?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

None of them knew how much the President makes.  Really ?  And Jeh in 'Jeh Johnson' was also a TS.  Come on contestants, read a book, or lookup a web site.

Back when I was taking American Studies classes in high school, the salary was $200K. It was $200K for a REALLY long time. I knew it had gone up, but had no idea how much. Thanks to Jeopardy, I now know it's $400K. (For the record, I looked it up, and it was $200K from 1969-2001. It went up to $400K when GWB took office and has stayed there ever since.)

• Love 1

None of them knew how much the President makes.  Really ?

I didn't either.  And since I don't remember what the answer was, I still don't.  Way more than me, I hope.

Followed by Jim missing the DD on the most famous Russian battleship in history.

If I hadn't seen the interminably boring film in a history of film class, I'd have missed it, too.  It's not really that famous if you're not up on Russian history.

That has never bothered me.  It helps me narrow down possible answers.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, trow125 said:

Back when I was taking American Studies classes in high school, the salary was $200K. It was $200K for a REALLY long time. I knew it had gone up, but had no idea how much. Thanks to Jeopardy, I now know it's $400K. (For the record, I looked it up, and it was $200K from 1969-2001. It went up to $400K when GWB took office and has stayed there ever since.)

Yeah, presidential salary is not what I'd call "common knowledge," because I too had last heard it back in high school civics or something ($200k). It's not really a subject that is dwelled upon much anymore by anyone. Plus presidents frequently donate their salaries to charities or whatever the hell they do.

• Love 2

Kristen (sp?) Sausville is married to that redheaded guy with the ears--Justin?--who was a multi-game champ a few years back.  I think they may be the only married couple where both spouses made it into the TofC.  At least I don't ever remember a previous couple.

I got FJ wrong again, by confusing Madison and Monroe again.  But I knew terza rima.  I was just as impressed with myself for that one this time as I was first time around.  It doesn't take much.

I liked Greg, too, during his regular games.  He seemed rattled during the TofC.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That has never bothered me.  It helps me narrow down possible answers.

There are a few reasons "women authors" or "women whatever" categories bother me - one, it doesn't really make sense. "Female authors" would at least make grammatical sense. Another reason is that there are NEVER "men/male" categories like that. They'd have a category called "authors" and maybe all of the answers would be men, but they still wouldn't put "men" in the category.

• Love 13
14 hours ago, secnarf said:

There are a few reasons "women authors" or "women whatever" categories bother me - one, it doesn't really make sense. "Female authors" would at least make grammatical sense. Another reason is that there are NEVER "men/male" categories like that. They'd have a category called "authors" and maybe all of the answers would be men, but they still wouldn't put "men" in the category.

Eh, I've never cared about that.  But hey, to each their own.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

If I hadn't seen the interminably boring film in a history of film class, I'd have missed it, too.  It's not really that famous if you're not up on Russian history.

'Battleship Potemkin' is one of those movies film buffs know. The Odessa Steps sequence is famous and has been paid homage to (or parodied) many times, the best known, to me, being 'The Untouchables.'

• Love 3
16 hours ago, secnarf said:

Exactly. Men are the default and anything else needs the extra because people won't think of it without it. It's awful. It's not like the clues all didn't say either she or her at some point for extra context anyhow and no one in that category was so obscure that people would struggle without knowing it was about women. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

'Battleship Potemkin' is one of those movies film buffs know. The Odessa Steps sequence is famous and has been paid homage to (or parodied) many times, the best known, to me, being 'The Untouchables.'

I like that one, but the version in "Naked Gun 33 1/3" is the tops for me.  Yeah, OJ makes me uncomfortable now, but him trying to spike the baby is still hysterically funny.   The Odessa Steps sequence was the only part of "Battleship Potemkin" which I found the least bit watchable.  I actually kept falling asleep during much of the rest of the film.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

Wow, I remembered Matt was an asshat, but I positively loathed watching him again.  If there's a nasty, lethal, barking rodent it should be named Matt.

That FJ was an instaget.  I swear I don't remember it from before.  My mind's a sieve.

• Love 3

We were laughing that no one got PC....then I though maybe because we are old. That seemed so painfully obvious. The guy who barks out his selections and interrupts AT really bugs me. His smile looks like the one you get before Dexter gets you. It makes me want to hide behind the couch. 

• Love 3