Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Welcome to the season 32 thread. This season will run from September 14, 2015 to July 29, 2016.

Please avoid posting details about the episode of the day before 7PM ET. If necessary, you may use spoiler tags. This allows time for other posters to catch up in their own time slots.

For a fun reference guide on terms used in this thread and the Jeopardy! fandom, see the glossary thread.

Feel free to create tournament threads as they happen or PM me for help. Thank you.

J! Archive page for S32.

• Love 1

NO SPOILERS.  And we're back.  Good representative game for the new season.  Contestants generally knowledgeable.  (Only a few triple stumpers.) Alex made some typically unwitty quip in the interviews ("It's not unusual.")   Everybody had lots of money at the end of DJ.  And the FJ clue was at the right level of difficulty.

• Love 1

Finally !!! Alex asked for more information about Juan Peron when Tara answered with "What is Peron ?".  Kit Carson must be spinning in his grave.

Good game -- everyone had big dollar amounts going into FJ, but the DDs in the DJ round were pretty easy.

Good bit of wagering by Ed -- our first new champ of Season 32.  I figured for sure that Rook would wager $0.

• Love 3

For once, I actually sort of laughed at Alex's quip.  It's the sort of punny thing I might say.

Rook's voice was nice, but I'm glad he didn't win -- drove me nuts (as usual) with the starting in the middle of the categories.

I was surprised FJ was a triple stumper.  The correct answer was the first thing that popped into my head.

Overall, though, a good game to start the season.

• Love 1

I thought the FJ was really easy - mostly because I am absolutely horrendous at poetry and yet this was an instaget for me. I would have bet $0 for sure though, because poetry is easily one of my worst topics. It was a good game overall though. They didn't miss many.

Alex went and got "It's Not Unusual" stuck in my head, just by mentioning it. It'll probably be stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

• Love 1

I found it a boring game and missed a large part of DJ because I decided to do some stuff in the kitchen. My precall for FJ turned out to be correct, and I was surprised no one got it (or even got close to it, since it's an easy poem to give a mis-title).

• Love 1

I found it a boring game and missed a large part of DJ because I decided to do some stuff in the kitchen.

The game itself wasn't that boring but the inclusion of a Steve Jobs category was.  True to form, the obligatory Steve Wozniak stock photo was trotted out for the occasion.  Am I wrong in thinking there was a Steve Jobs category not that long ago?  While I'm at it, the world needs another Jobs movie like bacon needs more cholesterol.  Didn't we suffer enough with Ashton Kutcher's rendition?

• Love 2

I found it a boring game and missed a large part of DJ because I decided to do some stuff in the kitchen. My precall for FJ turned out to be correct, and I was surprised no one got it (or even got close to it, since it's an easy poem to give a mis-title).

Yeah, I figured what poem it was, but would have written the wrong thing anyway. 

It's good to be back. I had to drive like a maniac to get home in time. I can see trying to explain to a cop that I had to see Jeopardy! if I got stopped for speeding.

Good game, good contestants. I said Stopping By Woods On A Stormy Evening for FJ. Correct poet, incorrect poem.

• Love 1

While I'm at it, the world needs another Jobs movie like bacon needs more cholesterol.

I don't have much interest in Jobs, but "screenplay by Aaron Sorkin" means it should be outstanding, and I will eventually see it.

• Love 5

I had the right poet and poem, but I said "The road less taken." I'm blaming it on a gin and tonic. :)

I said The Road Less Traveled, but I knew I had the title wrong. In fact, I believe I was reminded of the correct title on Jeopardy last season.

I did embarrassingly poorly in the So You Want to Write a Novel category. And me an English major. My mind was just drawing a blank for every one but one, 'cliche.' 

The only TS I got was Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Whoop-dee-do.

Anyway, pretty good game.

• Love 1

It's good to be back. I had to drive like a maniac to get home in time. I can see trying to explain to a cop that I had to see Jeopardy! if I got stopped for speeding.

Good game, good contestants. I said Stopping By Woods On A Stormy Evening for FJ. Correct poet, incorrect poem.

I think it's Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening, and that's what I said.  We were both wrong, anyway.

• Love 4

I said The Road Less Traveled, but I knew I had the title wrong. In fact, I believe I was reminded of the correct title on Jeopardy last season.

I did embarrassingly poorly in the So You Want to Write a Novel category. And me an English major. My mind was just drawing a blank for every one but one, 'cliche.' 

The only TS I got was Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Whoop-dee-do.

Anyway, pretty good game.

This English major also bombed in that category. I didn't even get "tone" correct. I thought it was a good game, but I thought the weakest of the three won. I was rooting for Tara.
  • Love 1

I'm glad the new season has started but I agree that it was a rather boring game.  Maybe we really do need a weird arm waving, dancing, swaying contestant to liven things up.  

I did get FJ but I waffled a bit between The Road Less Traveled and The Road Not Taken before deciding on the right one.

but I did make a "note to self" if every on Jeopardy - don't attempt to answer in the French...

Heh, aw, I probably would have done the same....and said it just as badly.  Just because I forgot about the English version of the book/movie/play and just remembered the French title.

I was surprised FJ was a triple stumper.  The correct answer was the first thing that popped into my head.

I got it right away too, which confirmed the fact that stuff learned in high school decades ago CAN stay in the brain.

I thought this game was ridiculously easy. Either that, or I grew a bunch more brain cells during the hiatus. (Not!) Anyway, I thought it was sort of a Teen Tournament level set of questions.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire as a TS was a hoot. I guess some game-show addicts are selective about their trivia-watching habits. Speaking of, the new season started yesterday and I missed it. Was wondering if Chris Harrison is really hosting.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

I gave him props for the French, especially since my French is so bad.  Plus, there's something about that title that always comes out over-exaggerated for me, so it ends up as "Lay Lee-ay-zonh Danh-zher-oooooos".

I did get FJ but I waffled a bit between The Road Less Traveled and The Road Not Taken before deciding on the right one.

I mentally chastised myself for not knowing the answer.  As many times as I've watched The Sopranos there was an episode that stuck with me where Meadow helps A. J. with this poem for an English class.

I did not know FJ. Hadn't a clue, I was thinking of a philosopher because I didn't know what it would be.

This is all me, I know it's petty, but I cannot stand the way Audrey speaks when she says "What. is" etc. it is not pleasing to my ears.

• Love 1

Why Alexander Hamilton was considered an answer worthy of being a great thinker eludes me.  Obviously he had accomplishments worthy of being put on a $20.00 but I'll always think of him as the guy who died in a duel with Aaron Burr.  Somehow I don't think a philosopher would have engaged in a duel.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 5

Good game today. I like Audrey and am glad she won, but there is something odd about the way she speaks, mojoween. Can't put my finger on it though.

I can't believe no one got The Doobie Brothers in the Grammy category. Now I have "What a Fool Believes" stuck in my noggin.

I was totally clueless for FJ.

• Love 3

Why Alexander Hamilton was considered an answer worthy of being a great thinker eludes me.  Obviously he had accomplishments worthy of being put on a $20.00 but I'll always think of him as the guy who died in a duel with Aaron Burr.  Somehow I don't think a philosopher would have engaged in a duel.

I think there's a difference between being a "thinker"--someone who has put thought and study into an area or areas--and being a "philosopher"--someone into philosophy.  I knew it was an economist, but I couldn't come up with the name in time.  I kept thinking, "Not him, the other one--the smart one!"

• Love 2

Alexander Hamilton is one of my favorite personages of historical significance (thanks, Bill & Ted!)

Truly a great man.  According to Wikipedia, he was "one of the most influential interpreters and promoters of the U.S. Constitution, the founder of the nation's financial system, the founder of the Federalist Party, the world's first voter-based political party, and the Father of the United States Coast Guard. As the first Secretary of the Treasury, Hamilton was the primary author of the economic policies of the George Washington administration. Hamilton took the lead in the funding of the states' debts by the Federal government, the establishment of a national bank, a system of tariffs, and friendly trade relations with Britain."  He also wrote most of the Federalist Papers.

Not being a Great Thinker, I totally blanked on FJ. 

• Love 7

I guess I must be getting smarter as I get older, because I thought that was a pretty easy game overall.  I liked Audrey, and especially liked that she won, not just by getting FJ right but by betting it all.

What I chiefly remember Alexander Hamilton for is being the hottest of the Founders. By far.

I never listen to the interviews so had no idea Audrey is from WNY. Not even the accent tipped me off; I don't remember her having the notorious flat a. I'll listen more carefully tonight. Anyway, now I'm doubly glad she won.

• Love 3

I wish they had finished the Give category in the first round.

And, once again, Amelia Earhart shows up.

I did get the Smith part of FJ but I'm not sure they would have given it to me without the Adam part.  I thought Alexander Hamilton was a bad guess just because the quote was about Europe, so was probably a European great thinker.

I can't believe no one got the FJ on Monday.  It seemed obvious to me.

Oh well, at least Chinbeard didn't win - I couldn't have taken another day of looking at the ridiculous facial hair.

I thought of Adam Smith immediately last night, but wouldn't have been surprised if that answer had been wrong.  Economics is not my field.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

Alexander Hamilton is one of my favorite personages of historical significance (thanks, Bill & Ted!)

Truly a great man.  According to Wikipedia, he was "one of the most influential interpreters and promoters of the U.S. Constitution, the founder of the nation's financial system, the founder of the Federalist Party, the world's first voter-based political party, and the Father of the United States Coast Guard. As the first Secretary of the Treasury, Hamilton was the primary author of the economic policies of the George Washington administration. Hamilton took the lead in the funding of the states' debts by the Federal government, the establishment of a national bank, a system of tariffs, and friendly trade relations with Britain."  He also wrote most of the Federalist Papers.

Not being a Great Thinker, I totally blanked on FJ. 

Mine too, and I'm devastated that he's coming off the $10 bill (shoulda been Andrew Jackson losing the $20, imo).  Okay, 'devastated' is an exaggeration, but still . . .  And yes, he was exponentially hotter than all the other Founding Fathers put together.

I don't know many philosophers, and only know two economists, and John Maynard Keynes was too recent to fit the clue so it had to be Adam Smith.

Edited by proserpina65

And yes, he was exponentially hotter than all the other Founding Fathers put together.

I read a biography of Martha Washington.  It was so well known that Hamilton was a womanizer that Mrs. W. named her tom cat "Alexander Hamilton."

I missed FJ, Hamilton or not.

• Love 7

I can't believe no one got The Doobie Brothers in the Grammy category. Now I have "What a Fool Believes" stuck in my noggin.

I misread the clue and thought they were asking for the song title. I hate when I misread it.

And, once again, Amelia Earhart shows up.

I only had to see the map and hear the clue-giver say, "She..." and I knew the answer was Amelia Earhart. Ridiculous.

I didn't know FJ. I feel completely ignorant.

However, I did get one TS: "... without any mental reservation." I was surprised no one knew that expression.

• Love 2

Going now to check out pictures of the Founding Fathers for hotness level. (Thanks, ABay!)

My personal favorite was Paul Revere.  The man could make beautiful things out of silver.  There was one portrait of him with his hand slightly cupping his chin conveying a brooding quality.  Artistic and sensitive are hot qualities as far as I'm concerned.

Has anybody played J6 on the Jeopardy website?  Some of the questions are a piece of cake while others made me want to pull out my hair.  There's multiple choice answers but a limited time to answer.

• Love 2

Has anybody played J6 on the Jeopardy website?  Some of the questions are a piece of cake while others made me want to pull out my hair.  There's multiple choice answers but a limited time to answer.

I played for a few days, but when I got to a clue that referred to Joan of Arc as the "Maid of New Orleans", I kinda gave up on it.

• Love 2

OMG, that Talia did everything I hate in a contestant. She wiggled around, held her signaling button up in the air, picked the clues in the middle of the category and then gave a stupid cutesy answer when she didn't know FJ.

I knew Blame Canada! Yay me!

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 13

OMG, that Talia did everything I hate in a contestant. She wiggled around, held her signaling button up in the air, picked the clues in the middle of the category and then gave a stupid cutesy answer when she didn't know FJ.

90% of the time I never notice the things you guys complain about the contestants. This one I noticed.

• Love 6

I decided to skip Jeopardy to work out and turned it on right in the middle of FJ. I got it and was again surprised no one on the show did. I was right out of college in 1999 and so was in the right age group, even though I didn't see the movie (I had watched the show, though). 

• Love 1

I knew Blame Canada! Yay me!

And she dotted the "i" in her name with a heart. Ugh.

Did she actually think "toast cut like soldiers" was a legit breakfast dish? Hubs and I had to go back and make sure that's what she said. She was brutal.

• Love 7

Don't forget the noises. The constant noisemaking. I happened to be looking at the TV when the answer was a TS and she did this shoulder shrug "I have no idea" motion and I stopped looking at the TV.

Also, and I feel badly for noticing, but she needed a friend who would tell her how that shirt was going to look under bright TV lights.

• Love 1

Talia actually drove me completely nuts. I thought the dancing woman from last season was bad, but at least I could watch her games. I actually would not have been able to watch tomorrow if Talia had won today. And I was only half-watching! It was like she wanted everybody to know that she knew the answer and it was all because of the signaling device that she wasn't doing better. But then she would get chances to answer and say things like "toast cut like soldiers".

I had no idea for FJ. I didn't even know South Park made a movie. I was disappointed that nobody recognized Romania on a map, though.

• Love 1