Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I said manicure. Mr. Author said nail polish. He insisted it was nail polish even after I explained that it had to start with a freaking M. To my surprise I got FJ. I'll miss Kelly. Stew has bigger ears than Obama :)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I said manicure. Mr. Author said nail polish. He insisted it was nail polish even after I explained that it had to start with a freaking M. To my surprise I got FJ. I'll miss Kelly. Stew has bigger ears than Obama :)

Speaking of ears the clue about the name of the first Space Shuttle was easy enough did they actually need to have a picture of Nimoy in front of it be part of the clue?

• Love 5

I loved the sports name change category.  The only one I didn't get was the Reds, because when you say NL Central my mind automatically went to the Cubs, then the Cardinals, and then I was out of time.

My DVR decided to reboot in the time between revealing the FJ category and after the credits rolling so I missed it, but other than being sad I didn't get to see if I would have known the correct response the outcome was already determined so I wasn't too broken up.

• Love 3
(edited)

I too focused on the Latin part of FJ and got it in seconds. "God and love...deus...amare...AMADEUS." It doesn't hurt that I was a high school clarinetist who played a shitload of Mozart, too. 

This Tulsa librarian killed it! Good for her! The new guy is pretty hot though.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, DrScottie said:

She should have gotten revenue for sure. Income and french word for return had no business being a $1200 DD.  I would have expected wunderkind or cipher to be the $1200 response instead. 

I completely agree about wunderkind and cipher. Those were challenging. And there was another clue that was a TS, and when the name was revealed, I said "Who?" I can't remember the clue now. 

5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Speaking of ears the clue about the name of the first Space Shuttle was easy enough did they actually need to have a picture of Nimoy in front of it be part of the clue?

Boy that pissed me off. I got Enterprise before the picture popped up, but I didn't think it was super easy without the pic. It took a little knowledge about Star Trek.

I didn't catch all of the game because of household interruptions. I saw the FJ answer but not the clue, so I have no idea if I would have gotten it.

• Love 1

Here is the clue:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
18th CENTURY NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
From the Latin, it’s one of the middle names of an 18th century luminary & means lover of or loved by God

• Love 1

Ha!  It does not matter I did not see FJ because I would have a better chance of actually flying a space shuttle from my house than knowing the answer to that clue.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I completely agree about wunderkind and cipher. Those were challenging. And there was another clue that was a TS, and when the name was revealed, I said "Who?" I can't remember the clue now. 

Oh man, me too! I'm assuming you mean this one: 

What a feeling! This disco & electronic dance music pioneer won for "Flashdance" in 1983

And the answer was obviously the super well-known Giorgio Moroder.

• Love 6

Totally agree about the Flashdance clue, I said Irene Cara and was like "huh? That was wrong?" Because she SANG it, right? I mean, I guess I don't know who played the friggin' synthesizer or whatever :-P

• Love 2

Totally agree about the Flashdance clue, I said Irene Cara and was like "huh? That was wrong?" Because she SANG it, right? I mean,

She also wrote the lyrics.  Three people won Oscars for that song, Moroder for the music and Cara and somebody else for the lyrics.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sorry to see Kelly go, but I love a man in uniform.  Lots of wild guesses.

I got germ, Russian, manicure and interfaith.

I was clueless on FJ and then banged my head against a wall when the answer was revealed.

Me too on the uniform!  Specially Navy men.

I got Russian, Moroder, interfaith and manicure.  (The disco bit fit Irene Cara too, but the electronic music pioneer part of the clue was strictly Giorgio Moroder.)  With FJ, I got stuck trying to think of some important 19th century politician or scientist with a famous middle name, and didn't think "love in Latin" until the last minute.  I came up with Amadeus, but it wouldn't have been in time to write it down.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

I loved the sports name change category.  The only one I didn't get was the Reds, because when you say NL Central my mind automatically went to the Cubs, then the Cardinals, and then I was out of time.

Since the Cubs were once known as the White Stockings, I was sure that was the answer. I felt stupid when it was revealed, because I knew that the Reds are the oldest franchise in MLB. (They used to always participate in the first game of each season, a nice little tradition until the game went totally corporate a few years ago, and stunts like having Opening Day happen in Japan or Europe took over.)

• Love 2

Re: Men in uniform. While on vacation these past two weeks, I realized I like men in uniforms, too...but only the National Park Service uniforms. Something about those Park Rangers gets to me.

Anyway...
The Atlanta Symphony used to have an associate conductor who pronounced Mozart's middle name Ah-MAH-dee-us.  I got so used to that, it sounds funny to hear it pronounced the regular way.

• Love 3

A sports category for the second day in a row!  I felt a little bad for Malavika because I would guess she zoomed in on integration and blurted out Robinson, but not TOO bad because come on.  While I don't expect non-fans to know what position he played, he's pretty famous for one very specific thing.  Which is integration.

Robert, on the other hand, I have no use for with the Yogi Berra answer.  For shame.

• Love 4

I can't remember exactly what the question was but it was DJ. Malavikia answered,Alex paused and she said a different answer. He then said he needed something else. I'm throwing up my arms yelling "It's Double Jeopardy! She doesn't get that many answers."  

• Love 6

It was switchboard.  I can't remember what Malavika's two answers were.

I got FJ is less than two seconds but I missed what the category was.  I'm really surprised Robert missed it, I mean I get that the clue said ambulance but a road ambulance doesn't have all those letters in the name.

Also, wasn't M*A*S*H Army, not Navy?  Not that it matters, but still.

• Love 1

Thank goodness Stew won.  Malavika was annoying (they shouldn't have given her credit for Le Miz - how hard is it to say the entire name? and then saying "phone board" over and over again - ugh!)  Robert totally lost me when he threw down his buzzer in disgust, made annoying sounds and clicked his poor buzzer to death.

I got Corporation in FDIC, American Beauty and Android.

I answered FJ before Alex finished reading the clue.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Re: Men in uniform. While on vacation these past two weeks, I realized I like men in uniforms, too...but only the National Park Service uniforms. Something about those Park Rangers gets to me.

And they have some cute lady Rangers too!

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Also, wasn't M*A*S*H Army, not Navy?  Not that it matters, but still.

Yes it was.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

they shouldn't have given her credit for Le Miz - how hard is it to say the entire name?

If I remember, it was widely advertised as "Le Miz" on Broadway, and I'd probably mangle the full name enough that some here would complain if they gave me credit for it.

• Love 1
On May 10, 2016 at 11:32 PM, peeayebee said:

I wondered if Alex was a bit sweet on Malavika (he sure did love saying her name!) and that's why he gave her so many chances to correct "phone board" and gave her credit for "Les Miz."

i didn't think FJ was that simple. My mind ran through a bunch of vintage medical shows like ER.

• Love 2

Could FJ have possibly been more tailored for the new champ ?  There's no way a military chopper pilot has never heard of MASH.

What's next -- aircraft carrier names that rhyme with Risenhower ?

Since when do you get multiple tries in Double Jeopardy ?  Umm, no.

I was surprised Marshmallow as the latest Android OS was a TS -- no matter how many times you mispronounce iOS it will never be correct.

• Love 4

I got American Beauty and Android too. I couldn't have told you that Marshmallow was a version of Android, but I sure as heck knew it wasn't Apple.

My first thought with FJ was Emergency, but I didn't have much time to think about it because my sister said "MASH!" So I can't say for sure that I would have gotten it.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Every time Alex over pronounced Malavika's name, I cringed. Am I crazy or did he straight up call it exotic at one point? Not okay. 

My name is often referred to as exotic -- although I am most assuredly not -- and I've never taken it as anything but a compliment. (The embarrassing truth is that I am named after my father's favorite stripper during his Navy days in Norfolk, Virginia.) Is exotic considered politically incorrect?

• Love 5

I thought Alex's overpronounciation of the name was akin to how he says genre. I don't even trust that he was saying her name right, but he seemed to be getting pleasure out of saying it elaborately. I found it bothersome. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

My name is often referred to as exotic -- although I am most assuredly not -- and I've never taken it as anything but a compliment. (The embarrassing truth is that I am named after my father's favorite stripper during his Navy days in Norfolk, Virginia.) Is exotic considered politically incorrect?

Yes. Exotic tends to suggest that you're sexualizing and fetishizing someone in a kind of racist way. It's setting white and western as the default and saying everyone else is somehow "other." It's one thing to call a plant or animal exotic but it's rude to apply that same word to a person. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

(The embarrassing truth is that I am named after my father's favorite stripper during his Navy days in Norfolk, Virginia.) 

Thumper, is that you? :D

• Love 7

ARGH!!!!!  I was watching something on tape and missed an entire category!!!  And I would've run that one too.  Otherwise, I did pretty well, except in the Catchers category, where I got 2 out of 5; I forgot that Carlton Fisk was a catcher for some reason.  I actually guessed the correct FJ answer based solely on the category when it was revealed.  When I think Historic TV, I think M*A*S*H.

• Love 2

I have a theory (a theory, it is mine and belongs to me--Miss Anne Elk) that the military are the best players. Anytime a new player shows up in uniform I know the current champ is going down.

• Love 1
(edited)

Alex introducing Torrey and Hunter made me giggle and think of baseball player Torii Hunter.  I'm quite silly that way.

On the other hand, Hunter standing with one hand in his pocket turned me right off, and I can't quite explain why.  Also, and again I can't quite articulate why I hated it, but his answers of "what's" instead of "what is" irritated the bejesus out of me.  Especially as I myself used three contractions in this post.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 7

I didn't mind his having one hand in his pocket so much as I minded his waving his buzzer hand around when he was choosing clues and ringing in.  Other than that, though, I thought it was a good game.

TS I remember (that I got) were cormorant, Harvey Fierstein, and Tucker.  I was one of the five people who actually paid money to see the movie about Tucker back in the 80s.  Oh, and isn't the Po River in Italy? 

• Love 4

Tucker just would not come to me even though I could picture the movie poster.  

Aww no one knew who Zingbot was!  Zingbot is the BEST.

I did not come up with St. Paul.  The clue said Midwest so my brain landed on Topeka and would not budge.  Oddly enough, I don't really consider Minnesota to be Midwest anyways.

Sad to say good bye to Stu.

• Love 3

Sorry to see Stew go.  Hunter annoyed the heck out of me - "casual guy" hand in pocket and the way he pointed the buzzer.  Ugh.

Hoffman should have been a BMS.  It could have been one of the great revolutionaries Dustin or Philip Seymour.

I'm one of the other five people who paid to see Tucker.

My mind wildly went through state capitols and blanked out.  I don't think of Minnesota as being Midwestern either.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I did not come up with St. Paul.  The clue said Midwest so my brain landed on Topeka and would not budge.  Oddly enough, I don't really consider Minnesota to be Midwest anyways.

I never got there either - I was thinking Nebraska, Iowa, and those parts.

• Love 3

I got St Paul pretty fast because I used to live there and it is about 3 hours due north of me. LOL @mojoween and @CarpeDiem54 not considering Minnesota the Midwest, it is so quintessentially Midwestern they even have Polite Freeway Merging ;) Unless you mean it is too far west? Having lived all over the Midwest from MN to OH, I think the most Midwest-y of all states is North Dakota. So freakin' polite, and you know they know their way around a casserole.

• Love 3

I think of it as North!  Midwest to me is like the middle of the country, down below Minnesota and Michigan and the like.  North Dakota isn't Midwest either hahaha.

• Love 5

The embarrassing truth is that I am named after my father's favorite stripper during his Navy days in Norfolk, Virginia.

I think that's awesome. Must be a nice icebreaker at parties too :-)

I had to play catch up and watch two eps today. Thank goodness Malavaika(?) didn't win. With the case of the sillies she gave Alex, my eyes almost got stuck rolling.

Stew was a good player and I'm sorry to see him go. I can't with Hunter's swinging-pointing-buzzing. He seems to have broad knowledge but I hope he's a one and done.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I think of it as North!  Midwest to me is like the middle of the country, down below Minnesota and Michigan and the like.  North Dakota isn't Midwest either hahaha.

Same here.  I think it's "the North".  Nebraska (I grew up there) and the Dakotas are in the West.

• Love 1

I can't with Hunter's swinging-pointing-buzzing. He seems to have broad knowledge but I hope he's a one and done.

Agreed.  He comes off as smarmy, is the best I can put it.  Like his hippo story should have been cute, but with the way he emphasized he kidnapped her rubbed me the wrong way.

• Love 4