Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Had no idea people didn't like Buzzy until I saw a  story on Entertainment Tonight.

He didn't bother me but I fast forward the non question stuff.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Well, there's former Congressman, former Senator, former Vice-Presidential candidate and former Presidential candidate Bob Dole -- but I don't think he ever grew pineapples.  :)

And Elizabeth Dole (I can no longer remember if the clue specified a man, and the archive's not up to date).

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 5:28 PM, SierraMist said:

I never really considered the Moonstone a children's book.  Was Alex just being pompous when he said it was one of his favorite books as a kid?  Please.

I don't think he was being pompous. I also read it as a kid. Though I'm considerably younger than Alex, I'd read the children's fiction that interested me and there wasn't a wealth of young adult fiction like there is today.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:40 PM, peeayebee said:

I ALMOST got FJ. Almost immediately I said "Nude Descending a Staircase," then I realized they were asking for the artist. I said Picasso. DOH!

I did the same thing! I was pleased, at least, that I had the right painting in mind.

We applauded when Erin won. Literally applauded. I didn't hate Buzzy as a player, but the affectations were too darned annoying.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Well, there's former Congressman, former Senator, former Vice-Presidential candidate and former Presidential candidate Bob Dole -- but I don't think he ever grew pineapples.  :)

If you really wanted to argue it, I think Sanford Dole, president of the Hawaiian republic and first territorial governor (and James' cousin), would be more appropriate.  At least he was well-known in the same era and location.  

(And here I must admit that, while playing at home, I committed the cardinal sin of saying the wrong first name without being required to give one, which is why I'm now fully aware of the difference between Sanford and James.)

Edited by Scott
comma!
  • Love 4

I didn't mind Buzzy. His story about teaching his little girl Shakespeare was really cute, that kind of won me over. But he was rather underwhelming for a multiple-day champ, and I agree that it would be very surprising if he did well in the ToC. I think champs on the level of a Julia or an Arthur C would make short work of him.

Some people really found him objectionable, though. One article I read referred to him as "punchable", which I found confusing. I don't think he acted obnoxious (those game-opening gestures aside), so I don't know how he earns that classification. Unless it just refers to his nerdy looks, which is totally unacceptable; that's just some bully BS, wanting to beat up the nerdy guy.

The new champ seems ok, nice base of knowledge, no annoying tics. Now if she just wouldn't start in the middle of categories...

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Jesse said:

I think the punchability comes from the gestures at the beginning and the jokes at the end of the games.

Who was the other winner who did gestures? I think he kept showing how many wins he had, I don't remember because I never saw it for some reason my dvr always starts recording after the opening intros so I only learn about things when people complain about them here.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Who was the other winner who did gestures? I think he kept showing how many wins he had, I don't remember because I never saw it for some reason my dvr always starts recording after the opening intros so I only learn about things when people complain about them here.

Matt Jackson.

• Love 3

Matt Jackson also had the slow creepy smile! But I liked him, he was excellent and kept the games moving quickly. And, he was kind of adorkable in the interviews.

• Love 8

I must get worn down over time, because with the exceptions of Arthur, who I loathed on sight and that never abated, and Julia who I adored forever, I start not liking people but then they grow on me.  Like Alex, Matt and Buzzy, to name a few.

• Love 2

The women did well today, but I really think they need to bet bigger on the daily doubles.  Quick way to build a big lead.

For FJ, I said Shaw also, but in retrospect Wilde is obvious.

• Love 3

I hope they're about done with the "Fifty Shades of Gray," questions. It just doesn't make them look as cool as they think it does.

On the other hand, the way Bryna held her buzzer,  with it's cord against her stomach like a feeding tube, had me giggling through the whole show.

• Love 2

I was worried that Bryna would cause someone some damage with that buzzer! 

Good game -- boards were cleared and there were very few TS.  I got Linda Ronstadt and Boris Karloff.  It made me sad that they didn't know Boris, and then it made me sadder when Alex tried to do a Boris Karloff accent.

I was nearly clueless for FJ, but leaned toward Shaw, knowing it probably wasn't right.  I agree with Roaster -- in retrospect, Wilde was obvious.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought it was a pretty good game.  I thought it was Linda Ronstadt but wasn't sure enough to say it - I don't get any money deducted if I'm wrong but Mr.Trey and the cats know it.

That's a very nice total Erin has, after only two games.  Hope she continues to do well.

Instaget FJ. 

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
(edited)

In regular Jeopardy when Wilcley answered just "American Eagle" instead of "American Eagle Outfitters," I thought AT should have said be BMS instead of not prompting Not that it made any difference to the outcome but the inconsistencies drive me batshit crazy. But AT makes me stabby anyway.

Edited by Spunkygal
Prompting...not promoting
  • Love 9
(edited)

I don't like that Wilcley got credit for American Eagle and also the NFL clue was asking for Paul Brown, not The Browns, so he should have been dinged for that too.

I got the TS of the Bills.  I loved that category so very much.

Otherwise I was watching from behind and for the first time ever the DVR jumped from the middle of DJ to a show recording at 8 even though there was only one show recording and it was the same freaking station.  So I missed the last two categories and FJ.  *grumble*

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Wilcley didn't get credit for American Eagle, but I so agree about the Browns response.

They came back and gave him credit for it later.

Congrats to Erin on an impressive game.  I like her.   Pretty good game.  I couldn't figure out what Bryna was doing with that buzzer.  LOL.

I got Linda Ronstadt and Boris Karloff.

FJ was an instaget.  I'd seen that picture recently whilst surfing the web.  Goofing off is highly underrated.  ;-)

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I thought he should have gotten a BMS for "American Eagle." The lack of BMS was BS, IMO.

Alex paused, I thought, and Wilcley just repeated American Eagle.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

In regular Jeopardy when Wilcley answered just "American Eagle" instead of "American Eagle Outfitters," I thought AT should have said be BMS instead of not prompting Not that it made any difference to the outcome but the inconsistencies drive me batshit crazy. But AT makes me stabby anyway.

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I don't like that Wilcley got credit for American Eagle and also the NFL clue was asking for Paul Brown, not The Browns, so he should have been dinged for that too.

I got the TS of the Bills.  I loved that category so very much.

Otherwise I was watching from behind and for the first time ever the DVR jumped from the middle of DJ to a show recording at 8 even though there was only one show recording and it was the same freaking station.  So I missed the last two categories and FJ.  *grumble*

They needed a BMS on the NFL team names clue about the Browns -- it asked for the name of "this first coach".  The first coach was Paul Brown, not Browns.  That $1000 clue in the same category was too easy -- the moment they mentioned "Scandinavian", it was obvious.

Wait, at the break they credited Wilcley with American Eagle, but didn't remove anything for the Browns answer he gave.  BS indeed.

That Dirvishes clue in the Religious Title category was also too easy for a DD.

Last time I checked Wilcley Libya is not in East Africa, so bad guess.  And William the Conqueror did not live in 804 A.D. either.

Did AT boo, hiss Wilcley about his lack of answer.  WTF Trebek ?

Glad Erin pulled out the win from 2nd place going into FJ.  Good game between her and Bryna -- Wilcley was there too.

• Love 3

I guess the only TS I got was Boris Karloff -- loved his voice work in that toon. I was thinking Linda Ronstadt for that one clue but wasn't positive. 

I said Oscar Wilde before Alex finished reading the clue. I thought Erin's explanation for how she got it right -- the lounging part -- was very cute and funny.

Pretty good game. I don't know if it was the wine, but I thought a lot of clues were pretty hard.

I missed the beginning with the intros -- What was Brynn's job?

• Love 2

They needed a BMS on the NFL team names clue about the Browns -- it asked for the name of "this first coach".  The first coach was Paul Brown, not Browns.

I didn't see it, but if the clue sought the coach but the contestant gave the team, I'd say that calls not for a prompt to be more specific, but a ruling that she or he is incorrect.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I didn't see it, but if the clue sought the coach but the contestant gave the team, I'd say that calls not for a prompt to be more specific, but a ruling that she or he is incorrect.

The clue went as follows:

"The Cleveland team's name was decided by a 1945 fan contest; The winning submission honored this first coach"

So yeah, they were definitely looking for the coach's name and not the team name.

The 'this' defined what the correct answer should be -- that's how Jeopardy has always worded clues.  But somehow the judges chose to ignore that and ruled Wilcley correct.  Bad Jeopardy judges, bad judges.

For Wilcley's answer to have been correct it should have read: "This Cleveland team's name was decided by a 1945 fan contest; The winning submission honored the first coach"

• Love 5

Hmm. While watching, I thought Wilcley should have been ruled correct on American Eagle, and was pleased when it was corrected. Looking at things after the fact, I'm surprised at how consistent they are in calling themselves "American Eagle Outfitters". At the same time, their website is just ae.com, and most of their clothing seems to just say AE or Amer. Eagle or the like. I'm no longer as confident in my conviction that he was right, but it probably was the safe call to overturn, just to avoid any potential problems. 

Browns was just flat-out wrong, though. 

• Love 3
On ‎05‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 3:11 PM, tom87 said:

Had no idea people didn't like Buzzy until I saw a  story on Entertainment Tonight.

He didn't bother me but I fast forward the non question stuff.

Fast-forwarding makes all the difference.  He didn't bother me at first because I didn't see his pre-game shenanigans, but once I did, ugh.

• Love 2

I don't know if I've laughed harder at anything this week than at Bryna answering "Xmas" for "yule." That might say more about my week than anything else, but whatever.

I really like Erin, and it's clear Alex does as well. I don't know who she kissed or killed to get those two softball FJs in a row, lucky girl, but I'm sure she's glad Bryna is not also an English prof.

• Love 4

The writers are coming up with some creatively different categories.  I like it.

Yesterday we had "Right Initials, Wrong Voice".  Today "Body Parts in Songs" and "Also a Church Word"

Also, a whole category on Hamilton Fish (Fish was a figure in US history, but not important enough that they would normally make a J! category about him.)

• Love 5

Not a bad game.  I liked Erin but I didn't really think she'd last long.  Congrats to the new champ.

I said Australia for FJ.   Mr.Trey pointed out that since Florida is a state, then the platypus island would be part of a country.  Of course, he didn't say that until we knew the answer was Tasmania.  And I'm really annoyed that he saw that but I didn't.

• Love 2

Erin seemed off her game, like getting in the red threw her and she couldn't quite recover.

Tim's wild guesses were driving me bonkers but Lori (sp., but I was listening and not watching so I'm not sure how she spelled it) was wearing a Troll doll pin and I cannot abide that so go Tim.

I knew the Columbia DD because NYC is the only place I know with that odd pronunciation of Houston.

• Love 3

Sorry to see Erin go. I liked that she chose the African-American and Africa categories early, rather than leave them dead last like a lot of contestants do. The new champ seems OK though.

I couldn't think of the name Tasmania to save my life. Saw it in the map in my mind as clear as day but no words.

• Love 2

Sorry Erin lost but Tim seems like a good guy.  That was a pleasant game - everyone started at the top, moved quickly and no weird tics or mannerisms.

I got Detroit and Stanislavski (missed DD).

I thought FJ was an instaget as I screamed out Australia.  Well, heck!

• Love 3

I had zero clue for FJ, as I know about neither platypi (?) nor Pacific geography. Oddly enough Australia was the one place I had totally ruled out, since they said "island" and I think of Australia as a continent.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Roaster said:

Also, a whole category on Hamilton Fish (Fish was a figure in US history, but not important enough that they would normally make a J! category about him.)

Not being particularly well-versed in American history, I had never heard of Hamilton Fish before. It took me a couple of clues to realize it was a person. I did still manage to get a couple in the category, but I wouldn't be able to tell you the first thing about Hamilton Fish.

Did I misunderstand the "backlight" clue? Because I thought the clue referred to lighting up an object to it look further from the background - with an example in the video clue where the person was clearly lit up from the front.

For FJ, I immediately said NZ and then thought well, that's not an island - although it recently counted as "an island" in another Jeopardy! clue - so then I thought maybe Tasmania, and was on the fence when time was up.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, just prin said:

Did the troll pin curse, mo? 'Cause if you were only listening, how'd you know the thing was there? Lol

Oh hahahaha!  I had recorded the show tonight and the recording started when they showed her the first time before it scrolled to her name.

• Love 2

As a long-time subscriber, seeing The Nation stump all three made me sad.

I love airport code categories; I have a freakish knowledge of them and generally don't need the other aspects of the clue.

I somehow knew someone was going to guess sperm (bank) instead of blood, but I laughed anyway.  Waiting for Guffman was the other wrong answer that tickled me.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Waiting for Guffman was the other wrong answer that tickled me.

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

One TS I got was (cold) shoulder. That seemed pretty obvious.

I didn't know a chipmunk was just a striped squirrel. I thought it was a completely different animal. Also, I never thought about Mercedes-Benz's logo as being a 3-pointed star or any star at all.

I've never heard of Hamilton Fish.

For FJ I thought for a second about Tasmania, but for some reason I dismissed it and randomly went with Bora Bora.

Sorry to see Erin lose, but Tim seems ok. I liked Laurie's troll pin. 

• Love 2

Hamilton Fish can be Lin-Manuel Miranda's sequel.

If he calls it Fish! people of a certain age who go to the theater will be expecting Abe Vigoda.

• Love 10

Tim lost me forever when he thought the brilliant Charles Drew was associated with sperm banks. I mean, sperm banks have their place, but it's nowhere near the heart.

And, am I wrong, or did he think Edna Mode was a real person?

I too liked Erin going for the Afams and Africa categories. I'm sad to see her go.  And the Nation TS made me sad also.

Animals and geography are pretty much my two weakest subjects, so I never had a prayer on FJ. Unless they would've accepted "some South Pacific island."

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

And, am I wrong, or did he think Edna Mode was a real person?

YES! That made me laugh really hard. 

DTW was the TS that surprised me, but maybe my travel habits are weird. 

Edna Mode vs. Edith Head:

screen-shot-2014-11-14-at-2-41-17-pm-the

• Love 3

I've been on a cruise that went along the southern coast of Australia, Tasmania & New Zealand so I knew that is where the platypus is. I said Tasmania at first but changed it to Australia because that's the only place where there was a side trip to see the little guys. I saw the Tasmanian devils, kangaroos, wallabies, wombats and various types of birds at the animal sanctuary I visited in Tasmania, but no platypus.

• Love 2