Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 32 (2015-2016)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I can't remember if it was Tim or Joshua, but one of them answered "Who is Lech Valensa." I spelled it with a V as he pronounced it, but my point is that it sounded like he added the N. I expected him to be ruled incorrect for adding a letter that changed the pronunciation.

FJ was easy. I was kind of irked by Alex's comment that he hadn't known that phrase because he didn't pay attention to t-shirts. Way to sound like a pompous elitist.

• Love 3

I can't remember if it was Tim or Joshua, but one of them answered "Who is Lech Valensa." I spelled it with a V as he pronounced it, but my point is that it sounded like he added the N. I expected him to be ruled incorrect for adding a letter that changed the pronunciation.

FJ was easy. I was kind of irked by Alex's comment that he hadn't known that phrase because he didn't pay attention to t-shirts. Way to sound like a pompous elitist.

I lived through the Lech period and heard it pronounced hundreds of ways. Some European spellings vs. pronunciations confound me.

Wow. I never would have gotten "pompous elitist" from Alex's statement! I just thought he sounded old, as I see the statements most frequently online, and not on clothing. I assume that an older person might think that popular phrases were still a t-shirt thing.

and, yes, I don't see what holding one's breath has to do with being upside down. I might have liked Maria to demonstrate just to have her make no noise for a minute or so.

• Love 3

I noticed that too (I think it was Joshua). There was also the name of the banking family that I'm pretty sure someone pronounced "Rothchild." It's "Rothschild."

It took me a moment to come up with FJ. I thought of "Close your eyes and think of England" but that's too many words.

• Love 1

I remember a few years ago the poster surfaced in a shop somewhere and there were news stories out of London talking about its WWII origins.

I have two variations on a bookmark (Keep Calm and Read Books) and a t-shirt (I Can't Keep Calm, You're In My Spot).

I was giggling throughout the show because every time Alex called on Joshua it was reminiscent to me when Rachel was dating Tate Donovan's character on Friends and she said it JoshUWA, with a heavy punch on the UA.

• Love 2

Throughout the '80s, I always heard Walesa pronounced Valensa. I remember being in the car when the news about martial law being declared in Poland. Since I lived in Buffalo, home to the second largest Polish population in the U.S., I figured that was the correct pronunciation.

• Love 3

It took me a moment to come up with FJ. I thought of "Close your eyes and think of England" but that's too many words.

LOL. Isn't that the advice women were given on their wedding night?

Throughout the '80s, I always heard Walesa pronounced Valensa. I remember being in the car when the news about martial law being declared in Poland. Since I lived in Buffalo, home to the second largest Polish population in the U.S., I figured that was the correct pronunciation.

My dad was Polish. When martial law was imposed in Poland, my uncle happened to be visiting us and couldn't return home for months. He gave me a Solidarność pin. Anyway, maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought Walesa was just pronounced as Valesa. I just checked pronunciation online, found a couple of different ones actually, but with an N sound seems right. I was wrong.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2

All I could come up with for FJ was Loose Lips Sink Ships which was obviously incorrect.  Keep calm and carry on is really not a phrase I associate with wartime England.  But I look at the Chive enough so I could have guessed it.

Yes Maria was annoying - when you do things that make the audience laugh you are going too far.

I like Tim very well - hope he continues to win.

• Love 2

Boy, did I actively dislike Maria, Our Lady of the Pissy Faces.  I don't think I've ever flipped the bird at a J! contestant--not once but three times tonight!

Awwwww, I kinda liked her.  Although I'm just as glad she didn't win, because I'd probably have gotten tired of her very quickly.

My initial reaction upon seeing FJ was "Keepcalmcarry- oh wait, that's only four words" and then it took me another ten seconds to remember that it's "keep calm AND carry on". My mother and sister had no idea, though. My sister said she'd seen the parodies everywhere, but never wondered where the phrase came from, and neither of them knew it originated in the war or in Britain - something that I had assumed was common knowledge. I guess without that, it would be a difficult FJ to figure out.

All I had to hear was "British WWII slogan" and I knew it instantly, but I suppose without that point of reference it might be tricky.  I saw some of the original WWII posters in a museum when I was in London several years ago, and a picture of Churchill standing in front of one - it was a very, very big phrase there during the Blitz.

What was the DD in the first round that Joshua missed?  I can't for the life of me remember, but I know I got it right at the time.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

What was the DD in the first round that Joshua missed?  I can't for the life of me remember, but I know I got it right at the time.

"It's the third-holiest city for Muslims." Sounded like he said "What is Talba."

• Love 1

"It's the third-holiest city for Muslims." Sounded like he said "What is Talba."

Thanks.  Actually it turns out I didn't get it right.  Oops.  Although when Alex said the answer was Jerusalem, I was all "D'uh, of course!".

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

It's one of those things where if you saw it the first time, you'd have to ask about it or look it up yourself to know the origin. However, it has been ubiquitous to the point of nausea for the past 5 or so years. I heard of it 6 years ago when my skate club designed the mugs with Keep Calm and Skate On. The first draft had a crown on it which was then changed to a skate wheel. I had never heard of it so I looked it up. Since that time, I see it EVERYWHERE, constantly. But I think if I had never had the experience with the skate club, maybe I would never have noticed it either! A lot of things you know on Jeopardy hark back to a personal experience. 

• Love 2

I admit that I have never heard this particular phrase in regard to WW2 and if it's all this prevalent that it was an instant FJ,  I'd like to know where I should have seen it.  Must be an age thing for me as well as Alex.  For a WW2 slogan I'd have guessed "Keep a stiff upper lip."  As for tee shirts I never try to read to read the assorted phrases on them.  Were I to wear one with a slogan, it would be the one that says "I don't care who dies in the movie as long as the dog lives."  Minor quibble on "Keep Calm" -  shouldn't it be "stay calm"?

The "keep calm" phrases are rather ubiquitous, but the original is a bit less so - I can't say where you "should" have seen it (at least one of the parodies) because they're everywhere. I can't go to the mall without seeing at least one piece of merchandise with a keep calm phrase, and they're all over the internet as well. There's also a website where you can design your own ending to the phrase. I think it's a matter of curiosity - were you curious as to where the phrase came from and therefore took a few seconds to google it, or did you just accept it and forget about it.

Why should it be "stay calm"? The original phrase was always "keep calm".

As an aside, this question had me wondering if the parodies are as common in Britain as they are in North America, or is it kind of like Rosie the Riveter is in the US?

I thought he said "what is Kaaba" which kind of annoyed me because the Kaaba isn't a city.

• Love 1

Re: the Canadian who was on last night, one of the articles I read said that any Canadians who are in the existing contestant pool will retain their eligibility, so we could conceivably be seeing Canadians on the show for the next year or so.

• Love 2

The "keep calm" phrases are rather ubiquitous, but the original is a bit less so - I can't say where you "should" have seen it (at least one of the parodies) because they're everywhere. I can't go to the mall without seeing at least one piece of merchandise with a keep calm phrase, and they're all over the internet as well. 

That probably helps explain why I was unaware of the phrase when the answer was revealed as well. Outside of the attached movie theaters, I don't think I've been to a mall to go shopping in about ten years. The one closest to me closed and I don't like shopping enough to go out of my way to another one. As for the internet, not going on Facebook seems to help in avoiding some (not all) ubiquitous items. 

It seems like forever since we've had a TOC qualifying run from a player, so I'm hoping Tim sticks around for at least a bit more.

• Love 1

I think I knew the origin of Keep Calm and Carry On because I've watched a lot of British shows set during WW2. The poster is on walls in many scenes.

Those shows are not being realistic because in reality the posters were not put up. Many were printed but never put up from what I understand.

eta:

I guess a few were put up but they were not up all over England. No one really knew about them back then until they were discovered again in 2000. 

From Wiki (so it must be true)

Although 2.45 million copies were printed, and although the Blitz did in fact take place, the poster was hardly ever publicly displayed and was little known until a copy was rediscovered in 2000 at Barter Books, a bookshop in Alnwick.

• Love 1

Watching today's game, Ben struck me as a good player.  Not as good as Tim, but good enough to win a game.

Little surprised Tim missed that Final Jeopardy.  Oh, well, he won over $100K and will probably make it to the next TOC.

• Love 2

I did pub trivia last night, and one of the questions had that same picture of Jackie Kennedy, asking what kind of hat she was wearing! Quite the coincidence. :)

I guessed King Lear, by guessing that maybe that's when George III died.

There was a surprising (to me) triple stumper, but for the life of me, I can't remember what! It was a $2000 clue, I think.

Glad I read this board, otherwise I would not have known what Alex was talking about at the beginning with the Keep Calm bag. Thanks guys!!

Edited by Fex
  • Love 1

Is there anyone alive who wouldn't know that, when speaking of ocean liners, QM2 means Queen Mary 2?

I was so confused...my thought process was basically "Wait what are they looking for? The name of the liner? But isn't that already in the clue?"

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 9

I had almost always heard it pronounced with the N sound in it.  My mom would hear it, too, and for some reason, she found it totally aggravating.  Some people have to make up their problems, y'know.  ;-)

• Love 2

If I ever make it to Jeopardy, I'm really going to have to study Shakespeare.

I hadn't see the show the past few days, so I hadn't seen Tim before tonight.  When he said his first car was a '69 Road Runner, I thought "Cool, another Mopar guy! Hope he has a long run..." 

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

Darn, sorry to see Tim go. Ben seems good, though.

QM2 = Queen Mary2. WTF?! They gave the answer.

I got emulsify and Clara Barton (missed DD).

Did this game seem relatively easy or did I grow some extra brain cells overnight?

I thought it was relatively easy until FJ. I would have guessed Henry VIII too, but that's a "history" and not a "tragedy." I never thought of King Lear as infrequently performed.

• Love 3

I knew from the date that the royal death was George III, so I guessed it was King Lear based on that.

I knew it had to George III from the date, but didn't make the 'mad king' connection.  My answer of King Lear was a wild guess based on nothing more than that the answer had to be a royal play.

I got emulsify and Clara Barton (missed DD).

I got emulsify as well, but couldn't do the math and guessed Florence Nightingale.

• Love 3

I got emulsify as well, but couldn't do the math and guessed Florence Nightingale.

Same here, emulsify and Florence Nightingale.  But my second guess would have been Clara Barton:).  My other TS was Ireland.

Went with Henry V for FJ, just to have something to say.

I am very sorry Tim lost, hope he makes it into the next ToC.

• Love 3

I think they should show a clip of Tim being the first one to clap for the new champion to all future contestants as the example of great sportsmanship. I already liked him a lot but that solidified it.  Hope we see him again in TOC.

I saw Tim's applause and thought the same thing.

• Love 6

I know nothing much about Shakespeare so I made a while guess of King Lear. I love when a random guess is right!  Florence Nightingale was British and she helped in the Crimean War and is called the Lady with the Lamp. Clara Barton was American and helped in the American Civil War and then went to Europe and assisted in the Franco-Prussian War and then she founded the American Red Cross. These questions come up a lot, I usually guess one or the other so I thought I would try to learn the difference.

I liked the old champion, he was classy and we will see him in the ToC I an sure! 

• Love 2

I'm drawing a blank -- What was Tim's interview story? I thought it was funny.

His first car was a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner, and a cop pulled him over, not because he had done anything wrong, but because the cop wanted to check out the car.

• Love 4

I knew it had to George III from the date, but didn't make the 'mad king' connection.  My answer of King Lear was a wild guess based on nothing more than that the answer had to be a royal play.

My line of reasoning as well--just figured it had to be a tragedy about an English king, and came up with King Lear.  I actually felt a bit stupid when Alex reminded me that Lear suffered from madness as well, and the answer was far more self-evident than I had realized.

• Love 3

Suzy was nice. Too pleasant, actually because her sweet clue-choosing was so flipping slow. Also the "Dennis...Iggersley?" made my teethe hurt. And for cod's sack if you don't know, don't guess when the game is that late.

Jill's "hundrit" was most upsetting. Also, there is a fine line between competitive and off-putting and I find her to be closer to the latter.

Could be "Legendary People" and you could use the same clue, show. Just saying.

I know the Clue Crew isn't a favorite, but when the dark-haired girl threw the grenade she was adorable.

• Love 3

For Final Jeopardy I guessed Boudicca, not having interpreted the category to exclude real women who became heavily mythologized.

me too!   I really disliked the woman (Suzy) on the end, not just for her answers but her behavior and the way she had such a death grip on the signalling device.  I think she got a bum rap on several answers, which might have been correct but she pronounced with a strong midwest (I assume) accent.  I liked both of the other two,though, and I'm glad they won.  I was surprised the guy didn't get "hydoponics," though, I thought that was pretty well-known.

• Love 3

I didn't like Ben, mainly because he deposed Tim, so I was rooting for Jill.  Her mannerisms didn't bother me.  She moved along quickly.  I was surprised he didn't get hydroponics, though.   

• Love 4

I was also surprised that Ben missed hydroponics. 

I got that one easily, surprised Ben didn't get it.

I also went with Boadicia for FJ.  I didn't think "Legendary" necessarily excluded real people.either. 

I liked Ben better than the woman who won but I guess she's okay too.

• Love 2

I got Guinivere pretty quickly, and then realized that I know of about twenty ways to spell it and would be completely frozen if  were on the show! My TS that I am inordinately proud of since it was a random, wild guess was "stalk". I like the new champ well enough. Still getting over Tim leaving, I think.

• Love 2

Well, darn. Not only did Ben lose, but he lost to Jill. I was actively rooting against her. Her cutesy little fist bumps and glancing at herself in the monitor were annoying.

I got stalk and hydroponics.

I, too, answered Boudicea for FJ. I thought someone could be legendary even if they were a real person. Oh well...

• Love 3