Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1: All Episodes

Actionmage

At first I wasn't sure if she had been bitten by the spider but after that it is quite obvious that she had been bitten. That's why her sister let her run away because she knew the venom would catch up to her and knock her out. She is basically dying which is what allows the totem to be removed. Of course with only 7 mins there is a lot that gets left out so I hope there is a reason why their mother left the eldest behind.

She didn't have an evil sister in the comics.

• Love 2

If she was supposed to have been bit by the spider, they did not do a good job conveying it.  I'll probably do a rewatch of all the sections before I watch the final one.  Maybe I'll catch something I missed. 

So no evil sister in the comics.  Gives me hope that she's not really her sister but one way or the other it give a good look inside the minds of Vixen's creators.  It was their choice to go there.  So weird. 

Episode 6 (Season Finale):
(This one comes with "exclusive" trailers for The Flash and Arrow attached.)

So, we're all set up.  Barry's line delivery was still a bit awkward, but not as bad/forced as Stephen's IMO.  I went back and looked at Episode 5: Kuasa says, "The spider is the true form of Ananzi; with its bite, the bond between you and the totem will be broken."  And, we hear a loud "chomp" just before Mari conjures the rhino and tries to escape.  My interpretation is that she got a mild bite from the spider, and while it isn't fatal it does break the bond.

And yes, I liked the animal stampede.  I'm assuming that, since she's a fashion designer, she created the costume herself.

• Love 1

It was a quick finale. Billed as 8mins, video was only 7:45 with 5mins being dedicated to the actual show. Oliver backed down real quick from his speech about Mari having no training. And even though it is no surprise that she doesn't wear a mask, I'm still surprised she doesn't or that it was glossed over.

• Love 2

That wrapped up quickly.

I'm a bit mixed about the overall season - I think it started out strongly, but the whole evil sister part was both really full of plot holes and resolved too quickly.  Does that totem have enough power to let her fly back from Africa and over the ocean? Because I didn't get the impression that she had enough cash on hand for a plane ticket. Also, did the kidnappers remember to bring her passport along so she could get back into the U.S. without too many problems? And I think I would have liked to see more time spent on Vixen learning/figuring out her powers.

But I like Mari and her foster dad, and overall, the show was fun, so fingers crossed this turns into a live action show or at the very least we get more cartoon episodes.

• Love 3

Well, I knew it would have to be quick wrap up, but yeah, they really skipped over a lot. So the older sister was chosen, but for some unknown reason, she wasn't worthy? There's a story there that I guess we'll never get.

Arrow and Flash weren't really necessary, but I suppose they needed to call back to them. Weird how Arrow was all "training!" when he already saw Mari's capabilities at their last encounter.

I definitely would like to see more Vixen.

• Love 2

Episode 6 (Season Finale):

(This one comes with "exclusive" trailers for The Flash and Arrow attached.)

So, we're all set up.  Barry's line delivery was still a bit awkward, but not as bad/forced as Stephen's IMO.  I went back and looked at Episode 5: Kuasa says, "The spider is the true form of Ananzi; with its bite, the bond between you and the totem will be broken."  And, we hear a loud "chomp" just before Mari conjures the rhino and tries to escape.  My interpretation is that she got a mild bite from the spider, and while it isn't fatal it does break the bond.

And yes, I liked the animal stampede.  I'm assuming that, since she's a fashion designer, she created the costume herself.

I rewatched the 5th part and heard the crunch sound this time too, but her sister was still talking about killing her so I think that Mari surviving the spider bite was supposed to be a surprise.

The resolution was rushed and confusing.  All the animals and guides seemed to say that her sister (did she have a name?) actually wasn't the chosen one and at the end Mari said the totem belonged to both of them...but took it for herself.  Also, if the sister was surprised that Mari survived, does that mean that Mari killed her sister?  And if I'm wrong about the spider being normally fatal, why the change of heart from kill to eh, let's go to Africa and find a spider.  Plus, who were the zombies at that village?  Why did the sister care about the land?  Who raised her?  How did their mother die?  Why was Mari so uncurious about why her sister wanted to protect the native land? 

I too would be curious how she got back to the states let alone how long it took.  Once again, the timeline gets fuzzy because either Mari got home really fast or Oliver took time off from being hunted in Starling (either from Ray or the Police or Ra's)  Plus Oliver went from, GRR, you're untrained to, ok sure go ahead, makes sense.  

I actually thought Amell did better with the voice overs than Grant.  Grant was better than before but still sounded off.  I thought their banter was so so.  I would have found it a lot funnier if they hadn't basically reused the line about Felicity being related to Barry (Oliver said almost the same thing about Ray to Felicity) 

I was happy that Mari ended like she started, with her dad.  That was sweet and unexpected.  I also liked that she decided that protecting her land translated to looking over her city instead of feeling compelled to change her whole life and dreams, I only wish they gave us more time for her to work through her issues. 

I guess I agree that the show left you wanting more. I'd take more episodes of just her but what it really did was whet my desire for the live action crossover.  I don't even need to see her fighting, just want her to show up for girls night with the rest of the bunch.  She's a designer, maybe she could collaborate with Cisco and design an even more fashion forward look for Laurel.       

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

BkWurm1, I couldn't resist:  https://youtu.be/1Ul5gCoASTo?t=9m17s  (just9:17 - 9:35, always make me think of Laurel now)

I just finished Vixen last night and was definitely left wanting more.  I rewatched 1 - 5 before watching the last episode.  They packed a LOT of story into 30 minutes.  While I would prefer a live action guest spot leading to a show, I think that they could make a series of full 22-minute animated episodes work.  That would definitely give them the space to fill in all  of the details that were too rushed in this . . . season(?).

Edited by netlyon2
  • Love 1

Not a bad origin story. It kinda sucks that Mari had two seasons online and the Arrow guest spot, and yet her grandmother winds up looking more interesting.

Nice touch with her shadows changing along with the animals. I don't think that was in the comics. Minimum, I don't think I've seen that in any of the other animated shows.

On 8/30/2017 at 11:48 PM, Lantern7 said:

Not a bad origin story. It kinda sucks that Mari had two seasons online and the Arrow guest spot, and yet her grandmother winds up looking more interesting.

I have to assume that had the actress that played Mari been available, they would have built up a story around her instead of the Grandmother.  Or at least actress availability was the reason given for why Legends went with Amaya instead of Mari.  But yeah, Amaya really was a better fit than I can ever imagine Mari being. 

Spoiler

Though it is odd now that her sister is showing up that Mari hasn't.  

• Love 1