Type keyword(s) to search

Sarah's Marathon Diary: I Double-Dog Virginia Dare You

I think that might be a bas-relief of Der Bingle...?

But your discussion of Corpse Crucifixion Camp (...holy crap, ISO) made me wonder if you've ever read Mary Roach's Stiff, Sarah? It's all about the myriad ways bodies donated to science are used, from med-school courses to forensic study and automobile safety (it's not always a crash-test dummy in there, turns out). About 50% of my book club was flat-out appalled...but my late Grammy had rather recently donated her remains to the local university, and I found myself much more impressed and moved by her choice after reading.

• Love 2
Even better, the episode gathers a roomful of these goddamn Bigfoot crackpots in an English library, then drags a Buddhist eminence down to its level when an A.S. researcher claims the lama "knew the Yeti firsthand"!

Oh man, this could have been the Greatest Midsomer Murder episode, ever!

For reelz, though, the plaster bodies from Pompeii and Herculaneum have always creeped me out.

For reelz, though, the plaster bodies from Pompeii and Herculaneum have always creeped me out.

My mom took me to Pompeii when I was a kid and I flat out refused to go into the building where the body casts were. Twenty-ish years later and that would still be a hard pass for me. Creepy and sad.

I did read "Stiff" -- good book. Not nearly as good as Roach clearly thought it was, but informative, though because I'm a horrible ghoul who's seen every Forensic Files, I wasn't too shocked by it. Chilled by the voice she thought she heard in the graveyard, though, to this day.