Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Pallas said:

Season 3 will be released in the second half of 2019.  It makes sense that there's a longer pause between seasons that shift from one cast to an other. 

What the heck is that supposed to mean, anyway?  "Second half" could mean any time between July and December.  So are we expecting it in the summer or fall?

• Love 2

I'm beginning to question the validity of the Hypable article with the S3 release date. Embedded in their article-which is normally a good thing-is the link to an article in Entertainment Weekly that supposedly broke the story. That article has been removed by EW. No other sources are reporting an official release date.  There is nothing on the Twitter feed for The Crown either. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

You're right. I wonder, though, if it will turn out that the release date is correct, but that EW broke a press embargo, caught hell from Netflix, and took down their announcement -- after it got picked up by Hypable? Then again, a Sunday release for a streaming series is unusual; the first two seasons were both released on a Friday. So did EW briefly fall for a hoax that was then ballyhooed by Hypable?

• Love 3

Yes, it's right that the first two seasons were released on Fridays, and really it would make more sense to release it on a Friday to give people time to binge it over the weekend. I'm still expecting/hoping it to come out sometime around Thanksgiving, and by Christmas at the latest.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, ombelico said:

I'm still expecting/hoping it to come out sometime around Thanksgiving, and by Christmas at the latest.

I'm thinking Tobias Menzies was still in character as The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Gaffe, when he proffered up November. (And like Philip, meant it.) My guess is Thursday, November 14: fifty years after Prince Charles turned 21.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

We didn't get Netflix until after the first two seasons of the crown were available. Do they release the entire third season at one time?

Yes, typically all of their shows are released a season at a time. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, benteen said:

Charles Dance, hell yes!

Darn it! I wanted him to play Phillip in seasons 5 and 6.

1 hour ago, ombelico said:

Did I just mark off all of Sunday Nov 17 on my calendar? Yes, yes I did.

We're planning to mark off the whole week so we can re-watch seasons 1 & 2!

• Love 7

That trailer really was a tease but I'm so happy to have a release date.

And I am here for Charles Dance as Uncle Dickie. OTOH, he'll have big shoes to fill as I loved Greg Wise in the part. OTOH, it's Charles Freakin' Dance. 

• Love 10

Vanity Fair

In an interview with Vanity Fair last November, Colman praised Foy’s performance, saying she was “in love” with the actor’s impeccable portrayal of the queen in the show’s first two seasons. Colman began preparing for the part by going through massive files sent by the research department and watching archival footage.

“You watch her move and how her movements change.… The way she holds her handbag,” Colman said. “I’m still not very good at physical copying. One of the directors kept shouting, ‘Queen, not farmer.’ So I’ll keep trying.”

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
On 8/5/2019 at 11:26 PM, Pallas said:

You're right. I wonder, though, if it will turn out that the release date is correct, but that EW broke a press embargo, caught hell from Netflix, and took down their announcement -- after it got picked up by Hypable? Then again, a Sunday release for a streaming series is unusual; the first two seasons were both released on a Friday. So did EW briefly fall for a hoax that was then ballyhooed by Hypable?

I think you called it @PallasEntertainment Weekly just dropped their September cover story, all about The Crown. They would have known the release date in advance.

God Save the Queen: The new stars of The Crown open up about the royal gamble of Season 3

• Love 6

Helena Bonham Carter Remembers “Scary” Encounter With Princess Margaret

In the Crown’s upcoming third season, Helena Bonham Carter will replace Vanessa Kirby as Princess Margaret. But unlike Kirby, who never met the late English royal, Bonham Carter has had a real-life run-in with the princess. But the run-in wasn’t all galas and friendly cocktails; by Bonham Carter’s account, it was terrifying.

“My uncle was actually very close to her,” Bonham Carter told Entertainment Weekly in a new cover story about the Netflix drama’s new season, set to premiere this fall. “She was pretty scary.”

WARNING

After the Margaret bit with Helen, there are a few actual spoilers for the season.

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 4

Okay, this part of the article just ticked me off.

The season examines Charles’ youthful relationship with his future second wife, Camilla (Emerald Fennell), which began in the early ’70s, years before he met and married Diana.

“People always assume Charles cheated on Diana with Camilla,” says Morgan. “It’s absolutely the wrong way round. He was deeply in love with Camilla and forced to marry Diana.”

• Love 7
5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Reveal spoiler

The season examines Charles’ youthful relationship with his future second wife, Camilla (Emerald Fennell), which began in the early ’70s, years before he met and married Diana.

“People always assume Charles cheated on Diana with Camilla,” says Morgan. “It’s absolutely the wrong way round. He was deeply in love with Camilla and forced to marry Diana.”

Me too. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

Reveal spoiler

Same here. He wasn't forced to marry Diana. He was being pressured to get married yes but he'd didn't have to marry her. Also didn't Camilla want to marry her first husband?  

• Love 6
51 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Same here. He wasn't forced to marry Diana. He was being pressured to get married yes but he'd didn't have to marry her. Also didn't Camilla want to marry her first husband?  

I think they would have married young but  Camilla was seen as an unacceptable choice for the future king. Remember this was before Kate and Meghan. The heir couldn’t be seen to marry someone “with a past.”(Read; not a virgin) It’s crazy because would anyone have really cared in the 1970’s about someone not being a virgin?

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I think they would have married young but  Camilla was seen as an unacceptable choice for the future king. Remember this was before Kate and Meghan. The heir couldn’t be seen to marry someone “with a past.”(Read; not a virgin) It’s crazy because would anyone have really cared in the 1970’s about someone not being a virgin?

I know very little about the modern Royal family (I’ve mentioned in another thread I’m a Tudor girl). But after watching the Crown I watched a house of Windsor documentary on Netflix. Ok, I just looked it up and it’s literally called “The Royal House of Windsor”. 2017. It does seem to insist that Charles was in love with Camilla early on but wasn’t permitted to marry her. 

I do get that the documentary could just be modern propaganda. Like I said, I don’t know much about what’s left of the monarchy. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kieyra said:

I know very little about the modern Royal family (I’ve mentioned in another thread I’m a Tudor girl). But after watching the Crown I watched a house of Windsor documentary on Netflix. Ok, I just looked it up and it’s literally called “The Royal House of Windsor”. 2017. It does seem to insist that Charles was in love with Camilla early on but wasn’t permitted to marry her. 

I do get that the documentary could just be modern propaganda. Like I said, I don’t know much about what’s left of the monarchy. 

I don't think it's propaganda.  Camilla wasn't suitable because she wasn't a virgin, though she was the one Charles was in love with.  So he was pressured to marry Diana, and we see how that turned out. 

The BRF have since learned their lesson and William and Harry were allowed to marry for love, even if one of wives was a commoner and the other an American. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

I've heard it both ways.  One, he "wasn't permitted because she wasn't a virgin or royal enough" and another "she was super in love with Andrew, in spite of his many faults, and was determined to marry him."   

I think it's probably all spin, since the future king finally married her, but generally I believe that she was smitten by Andrew, as well as tired of waiting for Charles and not sure she wanted the hassle of marrying the future king anyway.

He may have been pressured to marry Diana, but no one forced him to lie to her, or cheat on her.  He chose to do both. 

Edited by Umbelina
  • Love 6
On 8/15/2019 at 9:23 PM, Umbelina said:

I've heard it both ways.  One, he "wasn't permitted because she wasn't a virgin or royal enough" and another "she was super in love with Andrew, in spite of his many faults, and was determined to marry him."   

I think it's probably all spin, since the future king finally married her, but generally I believe that she was smitten by Andrew, as well as tired of waiting for Charles and not sure she wanted the hassle of marrying the future king anyway.

He may have been pressured to marry Diana, but no one forced him to lie to her, or cheat on her.  He chose to do both. 

Spoiler

Charles did cheat on Diana- if you’re married to someone, and don’t have a pre-arranged open marriage and have sex with someone else that is CHEATING. Even if you love the other person and/or knew them first. (Diana also cheated on Charles). Charles should be been up front with Diana from the beginning- that he was in love with someone else, wanted some healthy kids from her but that was it. No one (including Charles) told Diana how it was because she would’ve gone running in the other direction.

I definitely think Charles is and was MADLY in love with Camilla and she just “liked him a lot” (or at the very best didn’t love him as much as he loved her). As much as Charles loved her he wasn’t going to risk his position for her (because it was obvious to everyone that she wasn’t a suitable bride for him ), Camilla, being the more pragmatic of the two married someone else-no point waiting on Charles which was ever going to happen (or so she thought). She wanted to live her life. I do believe she loved her first husband and they got along well, even after the divorce they remained on good terms (she attended the funeral of his second wife who had cancer). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
On 8/15/2019 at 10:43 AM, CountryGirl said:

Reveal spoiler

"Stupefying" is the word I would use for that quote. 

• Love 6

Keen to see the new series even though it may also be a killer for me. I liked the old cast and not so sure I will like the new lot. They are taking a risk here, lets hope it will be worth it.

They could have just aged up the original cast.

On 8/16/2019 at 11:34 AM, toolazy said:

I don't think it's propaganda.  Camilla wasn't suitable because she wasn't a virgin, though she was the one Charles was in love with.  So he was pressured to marry Diana, and we see how that turned out. 

The BRF have since learned their lesson and William and Harry were allowed to marry for love, even if one of wives was a commoner and the other an American. 

The Queen meddling in who her sons marry never ended very well. Andrew also wanted to marry someone else but the Queen saw her as unsuitable as she was an actress! Instead she gets Diana and Fergie. 

Much better! 

Edited by Forsaken
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2019 at 4:14 AM, Forsaken said:

Keen to see the new series even though it may also be a killer for me. I liked the old cast and not so sure I will like the new lot. They are taking a risk here, lets hope it will be worth it.

They could have just aged up the original cast.

The Queen meddling in who her sons marry never ended very well. Andrew also wanted to marry someone else but the Queen saw her as unsuitable as she was an actress! Instead she gets Diana and Fergie. 

Much better! 

On the actress thing:  I guess she changed her mind (or decided it wasn’t really her job to meddle too much with a grandchild’s choice of spouse) since she was okay with Meaghan.  Or maybe it’s just a different time.  

I don’t think it was ever in the plan to age up the cast.  They’ll be another cast change for the final two seasons.  I think they’re going to the 90s??

• Love 1
14 hours ago, PRgal said:

On the actress thing:  I guess she changed her mind (or decided it wasn’t really her job to meddle too much with a grandchild’s choice of spouse) since she was okay with Meaghan. Or maybe it’s just a different time. 

I think it’s the different time. They came to realize that the public will be okay if the princes didn’t marry a perfect Disney princess.

• Love 2

I think the BRF also realizes that a prince marrying his true love is much better PR than being strongly encouraged to marry someone more "suitable." (Heh; kind of a pun now with MM!) And let's face it, as cynical as it may sound, good PR is important for the BRF to continue.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

I think it’s the different time. They came to realize that the public will be okay if the princes didn’t marry a perfect Disney princess.

That often didn't turn out to be perfect anyway. Not that I think Meaghan is great anyway.

• Love 1
On 10/2/2019 at 8:18 PM, PRgal said:

On the actress thing:  I guess she changed her mind (or decided it wasn’t really her job to meddle too much with a grandchild’s choice of spouse) since she was okay with Meaghan.  Or maybe it’s just a different time.  

I think the fact that, because of William's children, Harry's quite a bit further down the line of succession now makes a difference, too. 

• Love 4