Type keyword(s) to search

The Crown In The Media

Message added by formerlyfreedom,

Posts in this topic should be about the media for The Crown. Off topic posts may be removed with notification; repeated infractions may result in warnings.

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Thumper said:

, but for most of us out here, he was not known.

He's been on the cover of multiple issues of Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide so many people do in fact know him.

• Love 4

A lot of people I know who don’t even watch Doctor Who and who were looking forward to The Crown recognized Matt Smith’s face, even if they didn’t know his name, due to the magazine covers.

I’d heard of both Claire Foy (Wolf Hall) and Matt Smith (Doctor Who), but I tuned in because of Matt Smith. Speaking only for myself, of course.

Edited by katie9918

I hadn’t heard of either actors before this show. Not Clair Foy or Matt Smith. I thought they were both really good but Claire was the main character in this series and just nailed the Queen. The fact that the producers/directors initially paid her less than him based on his notoriety was a travesty, IMO. She was the star, she was the basis of this whole series and was excellent in the role. I am sorry that both of these actors got caught up in this controversy through no fault of their own. Matt Smith had nothing to do with who was paid how much. He cannot be blamed for this. Nor can Claire for not asking for more. That’s her agent’s fault if fault is to be placed.

• Love 2

Now my question is who gets paid more now? Tobias Menzies is a pretty big deal, but I would argue that HBC is the biggest name they have.  She will have a smaller part, but I think she gets paid the most. Next would be Tobias and then Olivia. If the producers were smart they would pay them the same or at least make sure there is a bonus for awards.  I wonder if they will tell us or not.

4 hours ago, Arynm said:

Now my question is who gets paid more now? Tobias Menzies is a pretty big deal, but I would argue that HBC is the biggest name they have.

From the NY Times: “Going forward, no one gets paid more than the queen,” said Suzanne Mackie, creative director of Left Bank Pictures, which produced The Crown."

• Love 4
On 3/31/2018 at 10:43 AM, biakbiak said:

He's been on the cover of multiple issues of Entertainment Weekly and TV Guide so many people do in fact know him.

I'd never heard of him or seen him either. I didn't see covers of Entertainment Weekly OR TV Guide. May people may "in fact know him" but plenty obviously do not. I didn't care for the actor in the role. He neither looked nor carried himself like Philip--with his big nose and play doh face.  [imo and all that]  

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, AnnieBeez said:

I'd never heard of him or seen him either. I didn't see covers of Entertainment Weekly OR TV Guide. May people may "in fact know him" but plenty obviously do not. I didn't care for the actor in the role. He neither looked nor carried himself like Philip--with his big nose and play doh face.  [imo and all that]  

My point wasnt that everyone knew who he was but rather he had a large enough following to be put on the cover of prominent magazines more than once who typically only put on people/projects with high profiles and repeat when they sell well. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5

Good for Left Bank Pictures.  I get that they didn't do anything *wrong* and had this come out 18 months ago, it probably wouldn't have been a big story.  They didn't have to do this, but they did...  

• Love 3

The Crown will not be returning until 2019 and they haven't even given us a clue about when in 2019. :-(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/crown-enlists-jason-watkins-as-harold-wilson-1108230

Netflix's The Crown has cast its Harold Wilson.

BAFTA-winning actor Jason Watkins has been tapped to take on the role in the third season of the Netflix royal drama from producers Sony Pictures Television Studios.

Season three picks up in 1964 and covers Wilson's two terms as prime minister, from 1964 to 1979 and again from 1974 to 1976, with season four likely to explore Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana.

In addition to announcing Watkins and confirming Helena Bonham Carter as Princess Margaret, Netflix revealed that season three of The Crown will not premiere until 2019.  

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Season three picks up in 1964 and covers Wilson's two terms as prime minister, from 1964 to 1979 and again from 1974 to 1976, with season four likely to explore Margaret Thatcher and Princess Diana.

Thanks for posting this @ProudMary.  There is a typo in the article that confused me. Wilson's two terms were from 1964 - 1970 (not 1979 which is my most frequent typo when using my cell phone - the 0 and the 9 are just too close together). The second dates were accurate.

Bring back the job of editor for text articles! is all I can say.

Edited by Anothermi
clarity
  • Love 1

I don't much like storylines that start approaching my adult life. When Mad Men reached 1967, the year I graduated high school, I could remember what I was doing every day, and it took away the mythic quality that the show had in the beginning. Young Elizabeth's life was in the misty past - her childhood crush on her handsome flawed Prince- but to see her tangle with Harold Wilson or Margaret Thatcher over some mundane political issue is a whole different show. "Ripped from the headlines" or not.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/18/2018 at 11:53 PM, CousinAmy said:

I don't much like storylines that start approaching my adult life. When Mad Men reached 1967, the year I graduated high school, I could remember what I was doing every day, and it took away the mythic quality that the show had in the beginning. Young Elizabeth's life was in the misty past - her childhood crush on her handsome flawed Prince- but to see her tangle with Harold Wilson or Margaret Thatcher over some mundane political issue is a whole different show. "Ripped from the headlines" or not.

I want to know what you thought of the Beatles going into their Sgt Pepper phase!

"None of the Beatles had mustaches. But then one day, all of them had mustaches! That's weird."- standup comedian John Mulaney

One of the things I love about Mad Men is seeing that huge cultural shift that happened in the mid 60s and how different people reacted to it. With Elizabeth she did belong to the "misty past" and so for her to suddenly to be like almost a living relic in the 1970s both as a person and figurehead where it's a totally different world and where some of the people around her like Margaret kept with the tie but Elizabeth didn't would be fascinating. Like Grey Gardens but in clean palaces.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

I'm not familiar with the actor playing Wilson but I'm sure it'll be another home run for the show.  One of the very best aspects of the crown is the focus on the Prime Ministers and their interactions with the Queen.

• Love 2

Both Jason Watkins and Alex Jennings are in the BBC drama series "A Very English Scandal" starring Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw.  It will be streaming on Amazon Prime on June 29.  It's the best thing I've seen on TV all year.  

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, Badger said:

Both Jason Watkins and Alex Jennings are in the BBC drama series "A Very English Scandal" starring Hugh Grant and Ben Whishaw.  It will be streaming on Amazon Prime on June 29.  It's the best thing I've seen on TV all year.  

Thanks for the heads up!  I saw Ben Whishaw on stage while in London last fall and have become a fan.

(edited)

The Crown has been nominated for 13 Primetime Emmy Awards!

Outstanding Drama Series

Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Claire Foy 

Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Vanessa Kirby 

Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
Matt Smith 

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series
Matthew Goode 

Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series
Stephen Daldry 

For episode "Paterfamilias"

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series
Peter Morgan 

For episode "Mystery Man"

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)
Martin Childs, Production Designer
Mark Raggett, Art Director
Alison Harvey, Set Decorator

For episode "Beryl"

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series
Nina Gold, CSA, Casting by
Robert Sterne, CSA, Casting by

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour)
Adriano Goldman, ASC, ABC, Director of Photography

For episode "Beryl"

Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series
Ivana Primorac, Department Head Hairstylist

For episode "Dear Mrs. Kennedy"

Outstanding Special Visual Effects 
Ben Turner, VFX Supervisor
Standish Millennas, VFX Producer
Alison Griffiths, VFX Line Producer
Matthew Bristowe, Consulting Visual Effects Producer
Iacopo Di Luigi, Lead CG Artist
Garrett Honn, Lead Compositor
Charlie Bennett, Lead DMP Artist
Jenny Gauci, Lead Roto-Prep Artist
Carmine Agnone, Lead Matchmove Artist

For Episode "Misadventure"

Outstanding Period Costumes
Jane Petrie, Costume Designer
Emily Newby, Assistant Costume Designer
Basia Kuznar, Assistant Costume Designer
Gaby Spanswick, Costume Supervisor

For Episode "Dear Mrs. Kennedy"

Edited by ProudMary
My original post was from info gathered from IMDb, which included only Series, Acting, Writing and Directing Awards. I then learned that 6 other nominations were received in technical categories which I got from the Emmys website.
  • Love 2

Damn!

I loved Vanessa Kirby's young wildchild Margaret but I am really looking forward to seeing Helena Bonham Carter's middle age burn out, NGAF any longer Margaret! Also the reverse of the height differences will be amusing.  Vanessa was taller than Claire Foy and it seems even more fitting Margaret will be much shorter than Elizabeth this time!

• Love 5
On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎13 at 3:16 PM, jjj said:

Another article on Claire Foy being paid less than Matthew Smith.  I find this astonishing, but why am I even surprised.  FFS, if CLAIRE FOY is not worthy of pay parity, what hope is there for the rest of us?  They totally should pay Claire Foy the difference now.  She was magical in this role. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/crown-will-embrace-salary-parity-star-claire-foy-earned-matt-smith-1094270 

I didn't recognize the Prince Phillip actor, and, Claire Foy should be making all the money.  She is amazing.

• Love 1

The Creative Arts Emmys are being presented tonight and tomorrow night in advance of next week's Emmy Awards.
The Crown just won its first Emmy of the evening!
https://www.emmys.com/news/awards-news/2018-creative-arts-awards-saturday

Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series

The Crown • Netflix • Left Bank Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television
Nina Gold, CSA, Casting by
Robert Sterne, CSA, Casting by

• Love 2

The Hollywood Reporter has a video up with additional information about the casting of Diana for Season 4 and also mentions that Gillian Anderson has been cast to play Margaret Thatcher in S4 and Emerald Fennell, who played Lady Lovelace in Victoria, will play Camilla Parker-Bowles.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/video/crown-netflix-drama-finds-princess-diana-video-1200673?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

• Love 1

I heard rumours that the new season drops in June (the site I heard it from doesn't look super-legit.  And if it REALLY DOES drop next month, shouldn't we have a trailer by now?).

• Love 1
(edited)

The show had momentum during season 2 and then they made all the season 3 casting announcements. Now....crickets. People have short attention spans these days. There is too much good competition out there.

The Crown used to drop before PBS showed Victoria. The latest season of Victoria has come and gone. I told the family back then we had to finished The Crown before we started to watch Victoria. I was not going to jump back and forth between British monarchs!

Edited by chitowngirl