Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Tea At Buckingham Palace

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I am a Monarchist, Royal Watcher and royal collector. My main love and focus is 1953 and earlier though I am pretty much all over in my way of doing things with some very unpopular opinions on some people and topics sometimes.

I was super looking forward to this because it is my thing but I generally am not allowed to watch royal shows because they make me want to throw things at the TV. 

This is a big royal week for me with this dropping and I plan on going to Toronto to see the Crown Prince and Crown Princess of Norway on Wednesday.

Is this where I can say we toured Buckingham Palace in Sept 2015?  Our trip to London lined up with when it is open to the public and we got tickets.  When watching The Crown I could tell it wasn't filmed in the palace because the actual grand staircase is not that big.

• Love 4

Does anyone have a recommendation for a movie that focuses on King George VI and Queen Elizabeth I during WWII and/or the late 40s/early 50s? We watched through The Crown, and then watched The King's Speech last night, which gets us to 1939 right at the beginning of WWII, and I'm looking for something (or a couple somethings) that covers what's between that, and the beginning of The Crown. Obviously there are bunches of WWII movies, but I want something that specifically focuses on KGVI and the British monarchy at that time.

You might want to check out "Bertie and Elizabeth" which was a British TV movie made by ITV.  It's available on ACORN , and Youtube has it although it's broken up into a bunch of different segments.

• Love 1

While in London this week, I visited the Churchill War Rooms -- the underground "intelligence center" from which Churchill and his staff directed Britain's efforts in WWII.  Well worth a visit if you are ever over here.  It's just around the corner from 10 Downing and includes a museum about the life of Churchill. 

• Love 8

I'm in a British Monarchy mood after watching all of season 2 so tonight I watched the 3-hour HBO miniseries, "Gunpowder," about Guy Fawkes and the plot to blow up King James I of England and VI of Scotland, plus his wife, son and all his courtiers along with the Parliament buildings.

Damn.  That was a buzz-kill.

Interestingly there was another sneaky Cecil at the center of the action, though this one did great service to the King by uncovering and stopping the plot.  Nevertheless he was a smarmy guy -- well-deserving of the "Never trust a Cecil" canard.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1

Double posting to say that I was watching the Doctor Who Marathon on Christmas day (as you do) when BBC America just interrupted to broadcast the Queen's Christmas address.  At first I was confused, thinking "I don't recall an episode that begins with a choir singing in an undercroft?"  (Did you see me just use the word "undercroft"?  Learned that from "Gunpowder" didn't I?")  Anyway the camera then zoomed to Buckingham Palace and I was still confused but the reality started to dawn on me. And then there she was -- Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.  The very first thing she noted was that this was 60th time she had made a televised Christmas speech.  She then made reference to her very first televised speech and even played a clip from it.  I watched that whole speech on YouTube just yesterday (I was curious to see how well they portrayed it in the show.)  Ye gads the synchronicity!

Not gonna lie.  The speech made me cry.  She's good.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Double posting to say that I was watching the Doctor Who Marathon on Christmas day (as you do) when BBC America just interrupted to broadcast the Queen's Christmas address.  At first I was confused, thinking "I don't recall an episode that begins with a choir singing in an undercroft?"  (Did you see me just use the word "undercroft"?  Learned that from "Gunpowder" didn't I?")  Anyway the camera then zoomed to Buckingham Palace and I was still confused but the reality started to dawn on me. And then there she was -- Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth.  The very first thing she noted was that this was 60th time she had made a televised Christmas speech.  She then made reference to her very first televised speech and even played a clip from it.  I watched that whole speech on YouTube just yesterday (I was curious to see how well they portrayed it in the show.)  Ye gads the synchronicity!

Not gonna lie.  The speech made me cry.  She's good.

Here’s a video of it.

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

I just rewatched the first series due to horrible insomnia and the fact that I had been watching all these wonderful documentaries about the Royals on Netflix and frankly, I just needed a fix.  This show is even better the second time around. Love it. Jolly Good. Right you are and Bob's your Uncle.  Snort. So Sorry. This is the best thing Netflix has ever done, but I haven't seen Peaky Binders yet. Anybody recommend anything else?

Not a series, but Netflix just released "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" yesterday. Awesome book, and now an awesome movie.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Not a series, but Netflix just released "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" yesterday. Awesome book, and now an awesome movie.

It's on my list - I'm waiting for a time when I can watch it uninterrupted. I'm looking forward to it.

• Love 3
On 8/11/2018 at 8:37 PM, AZChristian said:

Watched it yesterday and liked it! For fans of Downton Abbey, it’ll be like old home week. The actors that played Cousin Rose (Lily James) Talbott (Matthew Goode) Isabel Crawley (Penelope Wilton) and Lady Sybil Crawley (Jessica Brown Findlay) are all in it. Superb acting from the entire cast and beautiful scenery. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

Attention royal watchers, there is a documentary on Princess Margaret that will be airing soon on PBS.  It's called "Margaret: The Rebel Princess."  Check local listings.

Thanks for the heads up! 

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

For NYC-area folks who watch channel 13, the series starts next Sunday at 10, after VIctoria. It's a two-parter.

Thanks. Same here.

12 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I'm beginning to think that I am going to go gray waiting for this to come back. 

We had our routine dental checkups yesterday.  Our hygienist (like us) is a big fan of Broadchurch and The Crown.  I asked her, "Do you know who's going to play Queen Elizabeth in the next two seasons of The Crown?"  She didn't.  When I told her it was Ellie Miller, she was SO excited.  And when I told her that Tobias Menzies was going to be Philip, she was (as the Brits put it) "over the moon."

• Love 2
On 2/20/2019 at 1:19 PM, missbonnie said:

I'm beginning to think that I am going to go gray waiting for this to come back. 

I know! I'd be happy with a teaser trailer, promo pics, anything! It's all been very quiet.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, pootlus said:

I know! I'd be happy with a teaser trailer, promo pics, anything! It's all been very quiet.

There are a few pics out there, but not much.  Try googling "teaser trailer the crown" to see if you can find anything.

Helena Bonham Carter is there as Margaret, and Olivia Coleman as Elizabeth.  Can't wait to see more!!!

23 hours ago, AZChristian said:

There are a few pics out there, but not much.  Try googling "teaser trailer the crown" to see if you can find anything.

Helena Bonham Carter is there as Margaret, and Olivia Coleman as Elizabeth.  Can't wait to see more!!!

Sorry, should probably have said 'new promo pics'. The 'announcement' ones were months ago.  Surely they must have new stuff by now - why aren't they taking advantage of Olivia Colman's Oscar nomination to pimp the show?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Each time the forum listing for The Crown shows that there are new posts, I get all excited that we may finally have a date for Season 3.  Alas... 😞

Right??? I'm beginning to think that I am going to require a total re-watch from the beginning because it's been so damn long. 

• Love 2

Does anyone know of a way to watch The Audience with Helen Mirren? I'm usually good at tracking these things down, but I can't find it anywhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I recently rewatched The Queen and with the new season coming up I'm going a little Elizabeth-crazy.

Edited by PinkRibbons

This trailer popped up on my YouTube feed.  

I didn't recognize any of the cast as having been part of this show.  But somewhat interestingly, they cast someone to play Anne Boleyn.  

Edited by PeterPirate
  • Useful 1