Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E21: Spring Dance

• Start Topic

The first time I heard Steve's adoption confession to Brandon I thought he was going to tell him he'd found out he was secretly related to Kelly, because it's otherwise a pretty weird response to being asked why he's being such a dick to Kelly. I kind of like my version better.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

The first time I heard Steve's adoption confession to Brandon I thought he was going to tell him he'd found out he was secretly related to Kelly, because it's otherwise a pretty weird response to being asked why he's being such a dick to Kelly. I kind of like my version better.

Well, he was pissed off that Kelly not only forgot about his birthday (she is the only one that would really know) but didn't even think about how his first birthday after finding out how he was adopted would make him feel. There is a logic to it. It's not justified of course. Steve could have just used his words and said something. They could also made his relationship with his mother look more estranged earlier on so this reveal could make sense.

This episode really suffered from not really showing Kelly being awful during the lead up to the prom. As it stands, she was mildly more bitchy (for a lack of better word) than usual so the impact of everything doesn't land.

I felt like I was in some sort of acid fueled dream watching David dance his heart out on that dance floor. I just wanted to yell MAKE IT STOP at one point. Just say he won already.

• Like 1
  • Love 5

Funny, I am doing a re-watch right now and watched this episode last night!

So Brenda is ready to have sex.  Good for her!

In this episode we see Steve again try to push Kelly to feel what she doesn't feel.  He laid a thick guilt trip on her so she said that  "her own way" she loves him.  Ya.  Okay.  Whatever, Kel.  Steve is permanently friend-zoned. 

I felt like I was in some sort of acid fueled dream watching David dance his heart out on that dance floor. I just wanted to yell MAKE IT STOP at one point. Just say he won already.

This.  Watching all of the spinning, deep knee bends and arms out made me feel tired. lol

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 2

I'm not sure what it says about Brenda/the show's world view when she says "How many girls get to have sex for the first time with someone they love?" That's pretty jaded even by my cynical old bitch standards. Not that it has to be all rainbows and unicorns on your first time, but this is California in the 90s, not Game of Thrones.

This is the first time I watched the ep before listening to the pod. I found myself anticipating "oh, Sarah is going to hate that shit" and "ooooooh, that radish boutonnière (!?) is making it into the visual aides."

Also: every time they showed that clip of Donna's wacky dress shenanigans, I got an earworm of "HOOP, there it is. HOOP, there it is".

• Love 4

Oh, good, I'm here in time to tell Steve to shut his whiny fucking piehole. What a shitbird. The bitch of it is I like Ziering, but when they try to give him feelings, I don't want to be there. This so easily could have just been him being slimy with Donna and I probably would have been amused. Glad they realized crying wasn't in Steve's wheelhouse so much.

Fucking Dylan owes me money for teeth erosion for the barfing in my mouth "enjoying each other" has made me do. I'm with Tara, he's cute in this one overall, but c'mon, dude, don't say that shit in front of people.

• Love 2

Prior to the Walshes showing up in Beverly Hills, did Ohn-drea not have any friends? I know she's supposed to be an overachieving nerd but I was an overachieving nerd and I still had friends -- all the other overachieving nerds. We wouldn't have hung out at the Peach Pit with the cool kids but we would have all gone together as a group to the school dance.

And, if the reason she didn't have any friends was because she didn't want anyone to know she lived out of district, did she not have friends at her old school or in her neighborhood? I kinda want to imagine Ohn-drea has her own Poor Dead Scott-ia that she's shunning in favor of circle dancing with Brandon, et al.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

While not every woman's first sexual experience is painful or even uncomfortable, I suspect that the fact that Brenda doesn't have a hair out of place upon her return to the dance floor does not bode well for hers being an enjoyable one...

• Love 7

Ugh, I had that dumb dress for my prom or prom-related event.

Same here. I also went with a group where one of the guys was forced to wear a baby carrot (with green tops attached) boutonniere so I can confirm that it was at least kind of "a thing" and honestly it was pretty cute at the very beginning of the night, but those greens wilted in like 20 min. and it looked sad the rest of the evening. I think someone ate it later because that's hilarious? I don't know. High school. 

• Love 3

More evidence that Dylan got a room at the Super 8: that room key. Nothing says Klassay like a big plastic key ring! Just like the shiny gold hangers tell you that Brenda and Kelly really WERE shopping at an upscale BH boutique.

, I suspect that the fact that Brenda doesn't have a hair out of place upon her return to the dance floor does not bode well for hers being an enjoyable one...

Maybe Dylan hired a hairdresser and had him/her waiting in the suite next door? You know, just in case.

• Love 2

I have to say, Kelly's party look aged a bit better (but not my much) than Brenda's, since the gloves just scream early 90s.

Donna looks like Gone With the Wind had a grandchild, that grandchild moved to CA, and threw up a dress on her. Though interesting that in season 1, Kelly and Brenda are both wearing a dress that is both tighter and shows off more skin than Donna's does...that won't last long.

As for Andrea...I can't believe she said yes to the dress.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

Maybe Dylan hired a hairdresser and had him/her waiting in the suite next door? You know, just in case.

Just another reason why he's mad bad and dangerous to know. He has all those hairdresser hook ups. Even exclusively for after your first time.
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

Random trivia: I was recently re-watching this episode, and realized that one of the names read out for Spring Princess was Maria Semple -- the author of (the awesome) "Where'd You Go, Bernadette" who's also written for several TV shows, including 90210 (I think her first credited episode is in season two). That made me love this episode just a little bit more!

• Love 2

I never understood the timing in Steve's story. His mother told him he was adopted six months ago - and when his birthday rolls around it gets to him, and it's his birthday? How many birthdays has he had in six months?

(Also I feel like if the show started on the first day of school and now it's Spring, so six months ago he and Kelly were broken up and barely speaking so when did he tell her? I don't know. It just never worked for me.)

(Also I feel like if the show started on the first day of school and now it's Spring, so six months ago he and Kelly were broken up and barely speaking so when did he tell her? I don't know. It just never worked for me.)

They've referred a couple of times to the Walshes' having moved in the middle of the year, but you're right, six months ago at the start of term they weren't getting along so hot either.

I simply cannot hate on Brenda's/Kelly's dress because that look was the tits back in the day. I am not ashamed to say I had my mother make me a mermaid-style dress with a black sequined bodice and white satin skirt for my junior prom in 1992. I wore white opera-length gloves, because of course I did. Black and white was de riguer. That red number of Donna's was just wrong. She belonged in 1986 with that mess.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5

...was this an actual band they got for this episode, like they did in later seasons with Wild Orchid and Christina Aguilera?  Who were they, because the singer looked a little like a blonde ewok, and I must learn more about them.  

Dylan has smarm to spare in his let's go up to the hotel room and screw conversation.   Opinion poll?  And Brenda and Dylan's magically perfect post sex hair and makeup?  I forgot how much I love it when Brinda and Kelly bitch at one another.  The dress feud is great.

I've decided that this must have been a two hour episode because there seems to be so many conversations that happen off screen.

I happen to love that DeadScott is the MVP because he was just..there this episode. But this episode was, I agree with Sarah and Tara very teenage worthy. All of them were acting pretty stupid and not saying how they feel or what they want. Like, say something.

The dresses were so bad. All of them. I am so glad I never went to a formal dance in the 90s, not that I don't have some embarrassing fashion choices of my own I am sure, but I bypassed 90s formal wear and I think that's a win.

The band was actually The Rave-Ups. They were a real band but never made it really big. I think their biggest claim to fame was they were one of Molly Ringwald's favorite bands in the '80s and she worked them into a couple of her movies. They play in one of the club scenes in Pretty In Pink. And yes, I know way too much about this and have no idea why.

• Love 6

I am in LOVE with this podcast!

I watched the first 3-4 seasons of 90210 when I was a kid and have fond memories of the show but haven't really thought about again... until now. Little did I realize what absolute monsters the majority of these characters were. I remembered Brandon as a noble and wise protagonist. Yet again proving that children are complete morons.

Revisiting the show as an adult, I think Steve Sanders is my favourite character. He's an unapologetic sleazebag and at least the show doesn't try to paint him in any other light. Of the male cast, Ian Ziering also makes the least objectionable choices as an actor (not difficult) and is even genuinely funny at times.

Anyhow, keep up the fantastic work! I look forward to having my childhood impressions of the show shattered on a biweekly basis.

• Love 3

My memory is a little fuzzy from when I first viewed the show, but I thought David gained street cred at the spring dance.  I guess not.

Also, Dylan's statement about "enjoying each other" sounds like something that would come from a 30+ year old man...along with the forehead wrinkles... lol

Edited by MissScarlett
  • Love 1

Well, he did know a stylist who owed him a favor...

Ew.

• Love 1

They've referred a couple of times to the Walshes' having moved in the middle of the year,

But didn't what's-her-name from the pilot episode throw a huge "welcome back to school party, excpet for freshman, because they suck, and I can't spell"? Unless that's how they roll in West Bev, back to school parties in the middle of the year...or, in the spirit of fan-wanking, it was a post winter holiday back-to-school-party...yeah, lets stick with that.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2
I simply cannot hate on Brenda's/Kelly's dress because that look was the tits back in the day.

I wore that exact dress to Homecoming in 1990. Which I want to be VERY CLEAR, was BEFORE this episode aired. You can imagine my excitement when I watched this episode a few months later. I have to say, for how bad things could have been during that sartorial era...I'm less embarassed about wearing this dress than about some of my other fashion choices.

• Love 2

I just want Tara to know that the opinion "pole" joke totally landed with me.

It is true that some dress similar to this black and white bow-riddled travesty was on every third girl at my homecoming and prom. I was a bigger girl and could not carry off the strapless, much to my teenaged chagrin.

I don't understand how Brandon didn't get why Andrea was upset. They had plans. Yes, Andrea should use her words "we had plans" but she shouldn't have needed to do so. I think in my younger years I thought he was the good guy. I was an idiot. Kelly doing the whole "don't we make a cute couple" thing was a bit bitchy given she knows Andrea's crush.

The red dress Donna wore was ridiculous but she did look fabulous.

I agree with others, must have been some really quick and tame sex given how perfect Brenda's hair remains.

On the one had, I've always hated Kelly so I was cheering on Steve's nasty comments to her in the hotel kitchen. On the other hand, wow was he out of line. The time table makes no sense and he wasn't acting upset about the whole adoption/birthday thing until after he saw Brandon and Kelly kiss so, what a load of BS. They were being teenagers so I appreciate that aspect of it but they were both complete jerks for whom I had no sympathy.

I loved Mabel's contribution and timing!

I saw someone wear that very same black and white dress to a funeral. Yes, a funeral. I suspect it had been bought for a formal and since it was black the girl wore it to the funeral too.

I totally wore a variation on this dress to my prom in 1991, and I got it on sale for like, $17. Why so cheap? Because it's NOT a spring dress. It's def a winter dance dress. After someone pointed this out to me I got practically the same dress for my senior prom, only in lavender. With sequins. Sigh.