Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: 40 Days Falling Apart

(edited)

I came away from this episode completely infuriated.  (Enough so to seek out a place to vent, lol.) It's like now that Alana had gotten rid of Shane, she set her sights on poisoning everyone against Dani (The Omnivore non EMT)  I was floored that anyone had any problem with her.  She was always calm and respectful and listened and was willing to do whatever was asked of her.  She's the reason the rest of her team even knew where the guy's camp was located. She's the reason they decided to go where there was more resources. 

But because she wasn't besties with everyone and no one in that group ever planned out anything in advance (thus letting her know when they would miraculously rise and actually try to do something) she's not there and thus called lazy and selfish.  I hate how Chris went along with it.  I had thought better of him, but people are susceptible to the group think and once you get those ideas planted in your head, you start LOOKING for proof.  Luke didn't seem to actually be caught up in the hate but he didn't do anything to try and mitigate it either.  He seemed to be aware that Dani was being unfairly attacked but apparently after Honora, he was only keeping head down and not interfering with anyone.   

I'm glad she realized that she really didn't have anything she needed to prove but I hate that Alana and her band of not so merry folk are probably going to last until extraction and will pat themselves on the back for "winning" the challenge.  Honestly, Eva was nearly as bad as Alana.  She didn't feel like she could trust her? Trust her to do what? What's she going to do?  Is this more of Alana's "fear" of what Shane might do? 

After what happened to Dani it makes a lot of sense why she's not the kind to easily bond and open up in a big group.  Even one on one would be tough but a group, yeah, that's not going to happen.  Sooo frustrating to see them just edge her out. 

It is no wonder that EJ and Jeff do not want to mingle.  Probably the best decision they made on the show.  I think they made a lot of foolish choices early on (bad ass shelter ahead of water) out of hubris but not getting caught up in the drama makes them both look effin' brilliant. 

Wonder who Alana will target now. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 19

Spent some time reading comments about the earlier episodes and I had forgotten how awful Chris had been in the beginning.  He really doesn't do well if a) he's not allowed to feel kind of in charge or b) he thinks someone is unworthy. 

After Honora left he and Luke had no power conflict and later he seemed fine with all three girls when they joined their camp.  He only suddenly had a problem with Dani "the last few days".  That would have been the few days since Alana no longer had Shane to complain about.   I really think she did get in his head with her snide comments and observations and probably also cracked open the previously healed over divide between Ava, Laura and Dani.  Alana's comment about from what she had observed made me think she'd been making a lot of observations lately.  I also find it telling that Dani had been withdrawing more from the group rather recently. 

What's different?  Alana joined the group and proceeded to stir everyone up. 

• Love 10

Dani was the one with the net that came in handy a few times, right? True they only caught small fish but what did the others catch that was any better until the sting ray - incredible that not one of them offered EJ a bite when he stopped by. Despite there being so little it was the point of returning the favor.

Although it would have been nice for Jeff and EJ to take her in with a little more a week to go it made more sense for them to do what they did or they'd be engaging in the drama.

Jeff was 100% right about the dynamics of working with 1 other person than a group of people. This series has been an interesting study of survival in the wild.

• Love 9

While I know we don't see everything that happens, it is beyond infuriating to hear the woman whose survival strategy is to lay very still and hope to reach 40 days before starving to death call someone else lazy. Dani always seemed pensive, calm, resourceful, and above the drama. I wish she would have just separated from the group and spent the last few days alone surviving (thriving) as the badass she is, but nothing but respect for her for deciding to leave those harpies.

Edited by rlc
  • Love 16

I've always observed how people act when that are drinking compared to when they are sober to judge their true nature. Apparently, starvation is an even better way to see ones true nature. I hope most of these people are truly embarrassed by themselves upon viewing the show.

• Love 9

As someone who needs a lot of alone time, I felt sorry for Dani.  Those idiots couldn't trust her?  What the hell does that even mean?  From my standpoint, they bullied her for no good reason other than that they needed to put someone on the outside to make themselves feel better about themselves..  Totally ridiculous.   I thought at least Laura would be better than that.  And I am sure the women would be the first ones to scream "bullying" if they had been the victims of this emotional abuse.  As far as I'm concerned, Dani is a survival goddess, right up there with Jeff and EJ. The rest of the bunch can go pound sand.

The big group catches a stingray and devours it, not even allowing EJ a taste, but feel completely entitled when Jeff snares another eel.  It was very kind of Jeff to share.  Alana falling into the water while trying to stab the stingray showed how completely idiotic she is.  Yeah, good survival skills on that one.  

I'm sort of ready for this to be over.  It's become too much like the show Survivor, just without that stoopid Jeff Probst.

• Love 16

Dani, the "Chick with the Stick", is my favorite Naked and Afraid XL female.  She was certainly the my fave after seeing Laura in action.

Eva had a problem with Dani since Dani showed up, stating at one point she thought 'Dani had one foot out the door'.

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 4

As Alana drifts off to sleep. She ponders in silent song.

Lazy Alana had a plan, in the Co-lom-bian jun-gle.
Seeded with a group of willing— pawns.
Here's a snide remark, there's a snide remark.
With a tap out over there— comes my parting snide.
She hi ho, she hi ho, bye bye— Shane!
And a tap out over here— comes my parting snide.
She hi ho, she hi ho, bye bye—Dani!
Here a snide remark, there a snide remark, everywhere a snide remark.
I have my seven dwarfs, Alana Hi Ho, Alana Hi Hooooo!

• Love 1

Wow . Infuriating is the right word. That was unbelievable. Before I'd give them any eel I'd let them all apologize to EJ for not giving him a TASTE of that ray. I was a little shocked at Luke's silence since it was clearly unfair what was being done to Dani, but I guess he bought into it all too.. I also didn't see why EJ and Jeff couldn't take Dani into their team for the last 8 days.

What a bunch of toxic bitches and I include Chris in that description. SOCIOPATH? Really?

Edited by ari333
  • Love 10

Count me in as one totally frustrated with the big group.  What a bunch of hypocrites about sharing food and not one of them even mentioned that they did not share theirs so why should Jeff.  No self awareness for any of them.  

I too am ready for this to be over as it is starting to feel like Survivor with the mean girls. 

I wish EJ and Jeff had taken Dani in so she did not have to tap out.  I am glad, like Shane, she went out on her own accord.  I do hope they have a reunion show so we can see the major backpedaling and complaints on editing from the group.  Sorry that does not cut it since we saw and heard from your own month the crap you said. 

• Love 11

I too am just pissed off about this episode. What a bunch of high-school-acting assholes that group has. Luke is the only one NOT acting like a dick, yet I find myself most disappointed in him. Where the fuck was the compassion that he showed Honora? And Honora was acting like a lunatic, unlike Dani, who is just...gasp...an INTROVERT! So she needs a bit of time away to go for a walk by herself! What the fuck is the problem with that?! Have none of these people ever met an introvert before? I am totally baffled and infuriated, on behalf of introverts everywhere. And that the group is so shocked and wonders why Dani doesn't want to be around them, when they call her mentally ill with her WITHIN EARSHOT. Oh my fucking god. Sorry for all the F-bombs. 

Meanwhile, Jeff continues to dominate, and show that he is a far better person than anyone in Bitch Group 6 (BG6 for short). That they haven't shared a single thing with Jeff and EJ, then were like "I wish I could repay you" when they get a giant eel. How about you fucking share YOUR shit, that'd be great repayment. Argh.

• Love 13

I take all of this with a grain of salt, because script and editing etc.

But Dani was a cool chick - she was one of the most likable people out there (one of the few left) and she didn't seem to have any physical issues holding her back. The herd mentality went against her and forced her out. Pretty soon they'll start chewing each other up, which may be entertaining but I hate that it was at the expense of poor Dani.

Love the alpha male team - they're pretty good blokes, talking to Dani about her problems, sharing the eel etc. Hope they make it through. And I hope the big team eats itself.

• Love 7

Well, I wish EJ and Jeff had taken Dani in so she wouldn't have to choose to tap out ....to the satisfaction and smirks of the BG6. Great name btw.  And agreed. NO SELF AWARENESS... not even Luke!  I am disappointed in him as well. He did give it a weak ass try with his mumbly, "Dani embraced the water chore;" and then he was met with a chorus of, "That is the easiest thing EVER!" and he backed down like a chicken shit. But yeah, he didn't actively torture Dani (other than the TH) but he didnt' jump in to stop it either. They actually had her thinking there was something wrong with HER; Sweet baby jesus. ANd Danielle you do not have monopoly on the name Danielle.

• Love 12
(edited)

I was just thinking about how much I would love to see a reunion show and have Shane and Dani totally humiliate and embarrass those assholes.

Sigh. Poor Shane likely wouldn't be able to express himself without giving Alana something new to pick apart. And I have a feeling Dani would rather not waste her time. (So here's hoping she persuadable, lol)

Would they put them all in a room though so they would even have that chance or would they more likely do separate interviews? I'm going to have to watch the pop up version with behind the scenes quotes. I usually skip them but I regret not watching ( and reading) the one where Shane left and I so want to know if anyone is sorry. It kind of too late but it would be nice if there was some regret at least over their actions.

I too am just pissed off about this episode. What a bunch of high-school-acting assholes that group has. Luke is the only one NOT acting like a dick, yet I find myself most disappointed in him. Where the fuck was the compassion that he showed Honora? And Honora was acting like a lunatic, unlike Dani, who is just...gasp...an INTROVERT! So she needs a bit of time away to go for a walk by herself! What the fuck is the problem with that?! Have none of these people ever met an introvert before? I am totally baffled and infuriated, on behalf of introverts everywhere. And that the group is so shocked and wonders why Dani doesn't want to be around them, when they call her mentally ill with her WITHIN EARSHOT. Oh my fucking god. Sorry for all the F-bombs.

Let 'em fly. I'm not in the habit myself but this time around they are making me feel better.

Yeah, I was really disappointed in Luke too. Honora was seriously unbalanced and he tried to act as a mediator but he doesn't even try here. The weariness makes everyone withdraw in some ways. Or harden and get meaner maybe.

Meanwhile, Jeff continues to dominate, and show that he is a far better person than anyone in Bitch Group 6 (BG6 for short). That they haven't shared a single thing with Jeff and EJ, then were like "I wish I could repay you" when they get a giant eel. How about you fucking share YOUR shit, that'd be great repayment. Argh.

I felt Luke was sincere in his wish and just as sincere in knowing he probably can't. Out of that group, I feel like he is the only one even aware of their poor behavior but again, he's pretty much saying and doing nothing which almost makes him more accountable.

I take all of this with a grain of salt, because script and editing etc.

But Dani was a cool chick - she was one of the most likable people out there (one of the few left) and she didn't seem to have any physical issues holding her back. The herd mentality went against her and forced her out. Pretty soon they'll start chewing each other up, which may be entertaining but I hate that it was at the expense of poor Dani.

I take it with a grain of salt too but the looks of bewilderment and confusion on Dani's face when she's accused of things like being untrustworthy happened in shots with the group and at a very specific time making it IMO pretty hard to piece in footage from other times. Dani her whole time on the show seemed pretty self aware and humble. She seemed blindsided by the hate that was going on in such a way that it does reinforce my impression that the hate was not based on her actual actions but just on their newly twisted perception of her actions.

And Eva was not tricked into saying she didn't trust her. That statement is something I just can't wrap my head around. What could she even have meant that made sense to her?

Love the alpha male team - they're pretty good blokes, talking to Dani about her problems, sharing the eel etc. Hope they make it through. And I hope the big team eats itself.

Agreed, but I was disappointed that they were so quick to say no to a trio. I get it in a way - they've been clear about wanting to stay out of the drama but I also think just a little bit of a double standard was rearing its head. They seemed to get that the drama wasn't coming from Dani but while they were willing to risk it with Shane they weren't with Dani. I can't help wonder if they just automatically assumed she would bring drama because she was a woman.

It's a shame because she would have fit in beautifully in a team that all go their separate ways during the day. EJ was no more successful than Dani on his hunt than she on her walk so they've all been riding on the coat tails of Jeff since they got to the lake anyway. Plus I think EJ and Jeff would have just told her if they wanted something from her rather than get all passive aggressive when she doesn't figure it out on her own.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8

Jeff, EJ and Dani are the only ones worth watching.  I've always hated Chris.  He was a supreme dick in his original episode and he's been pretty bad here as well. Luke seemed cool in a hippie way but I've grown to dislike him because he's too meek and just goes along with the flow.  He appears quiet and humble but he is passive aggressive when he wants to be.  Like when his group "serendipitously" stumbled across EJ, Jeff and Shane just as those three were about to enjoy an eel supper.  The way Luke stood there and said "I can't help but notice you are cooking something".

So this week the group gets a ray and they don't even think to share any with EJ?  Ungrateful assholes.

On the whole, this season has basically devolved into the immaturity of Survivor, except they're naked.  I prefer the traditional two person episodes, when we can see how two people will get along and how they truly have no one to depend on but each other.  This season has been a good experiment and while I like the XL nature of seeing Jeff get two huge eels, I could have done without the cattiness and paranoia and general all around assholishness of most of these people.

I had thought that Eva and Laura would be immune to the complete asswipness of Alana, Danielle and Chris, but alas.

• Love 12

Agreed, but I was disappointed that they were so quick to say no to a trio. I get it in a way - they've been clear about wanting to stay out of the drama but I also think just a little bit of a double standard was rearing its head. They seemed to get that the drama wasn't coming from Dani but while they were willing to risk it with Shane they weren't with Dani. I can't help wonder if they just automatically assumed she would bring drama because she was a woman.

It's a shame because she would have fit in beautifully in a team that all go their separate ways during the day. EJ was no more successful than Dani on his hunt than she on her walk so they've all been riding on the coat tails of Jeff since they got to the lake anyway. Plus I think EJ and Jeff would have just told her if they wanted something from her rather than get all passive aggressive when she doesn't figure it out on her own.

Yes yes yes. They told her she should just continue on her own as she has been. Would it have been so hard to say "hey, you can sleep at our camp, and during the day we can do our own things. You shouldn't have to LIVE with those folks." It's not the same as being a trio, because they wouldn't have to share resources. Also, I really hope that Dani said "screw you, bitches, I'm taking my mosquito net" to those assholes...or gave it to Jeff and EJ. Let's see BG6 catch fish now.

• Love 8

Dani DID give her net and things to EJ. I was happy about that. :D

I missed that too, good! Unfortunately I think EJ and Jeff will share their things with the other group which is so frustrating to me. They wouldn't even give EJ a taste of stingray but Jeff shared the eel with them. I was screaming at my TV " don't share, don't share"!

I was disappointed Dani let the mean girls and Chris get to her. there were only 9 (?)days left at that point, she had lived alone for quite awhile at the beginning before finding the other two girls. I wish she had just stuck it out on her own and finished.

• Love 3

Sorry but Luke is no saint, he might have had more patience with Honore because it was the beginning of the challenge when most of us wanted to look at her as lunch,but he was a real pain to his previous partner, where she had read about the area and was aware that the rainy season was about to begin and thought their camp too close to the water, so he called her lazy as she built the second shelter which saved their butts when the rains began and they lost the food that she helped him capture.  It was on the other day and I was not impressed with Luke complaining about his partners oily ass and calling her lazy because she was not helping him hunt, but was building an entire above ground shelter by herself. . 

• Love 1

Sorry but Luke is no saint, he might have had more patience with Honore because it was the beginning of the challenge when most of us wanted to look at her as lunch,but he was a real pain to his previous partner, where she had read about the area and was aware that the rainy season was about to begin and thought their camp too close to the water, so he called her lazy as she built the second shelter which saved their butts when the rains began and they lost the food that she helped him capture.  It was on the other day and I was not impressed with Luke complaining about his partners oily ass and calling her lazy because she was not helping him hunt, but was building an entire above ground shelter by herself. . 

I think you are thinking of someone else. Luke was a rock star on his original challenge, and got along great with his partner.

• Love 3

I think you are thinking of someone else. Luke was a rock star on his original challenge, and got along great with his partner.

Yeah, I was about to say, I think that was someone else, but also a "hippie" type.  I think that was Jason with the returning AK?

You are thinking of a different Long Hair.  That was Jason, with Amanda ("AK") in Guyana.  I think Luke was in Africa on his challenge, it wasn't rainy.

So I have been watching this show since its inception and am so frustrated by the group of 7.  EJ walks by and no ray is offered.  Why? Because they are hungry and when you are at your lowest your truth is exposed.  Inversely, Jeff fed the group a third time, demonstrating his character.  Alana is simply one of the most awful people I have seen on reality TV.  I am also so disappointed in Dani (the Vegetarian) who meekly goes along with the pack rather than stand up for anything other than her commitment to being a vegetarian.  Congratulations Dani, your a vegetarian who feeds on the negativity of Alana.  Hard to eat anything with a backbone when you don't have one.  Since this is my first forum I also wanted to mention Shane.  My heart goes out to him and my esteem for him and the Alpha males was enhanced by their compassion.  It is my hope that as the individuals who were in the show are watching now, reading forums and are embarrassed by their actions.  However, they will point to editing and the audience not knowing the real story as a giant smoke screen to keep from having to look into the mirror of reality (or reality TV) and ask themselves some really tough questions.  Go Shane, Go Dani, Go E.J. Go Jeff.  The rest of the bunch are what they are.

• Love 12

Yes yes yes. They told her she should just continue on her own as she has been. Would it have been so hard to say "hey, you can sleep at our camp, and during the day we can do our own things. You shouldn't have to LIVE with those folks." It's not the same as being a trio, because they wouldn't have to share resources. .

I agree. I wish they had done that. There were only a few days left.

Anyone watch "Hannibal"? I wish an eel would do to Alana what Mason Verger's eel did to him.

I'm glad Dani got to see those cute otters.

• Love 4

Not sharing that stingray with the alpha males is one of the most uncool acts I have ever witnessed on reality TV.  I could not believe that not a single person in the group offered to share his/her portion.  That was just wrong.  

• Love 10

You know, I've been thinking about this...and I will preface by saying I am agnostic, but raised Catholic, and have a skeptical view of Christians and Christianity in general. Seems like a lot of them (like a lot of religious people, generally) are hypocrites. Not Jeff. That guy is Christian in both word and deed, and it is impressive and inspiring. See that, bible thumpers? That's what you should act like. Feeding BG6 when he didn't have to, and they didn't do him the same kindness...that is what Jesus would do, fo' sho'.

• Love 19

What a pack of hyenas.

Dani is an introvert, and needed some time alone. I hope she realizes that now because I don't think she did at the time as she was questioning herself. I thought something was wrong with me, too, before I understood introversion. I can give extroverts a pass when they don't understand it, but not when they act like the hyenas did. They couldn't even muster up some common human decency. All because they didn't understand her. Lovely group of people.

The pack:

Alana is probably the ringleader, but certainly not alone in her wretchedness. Eva expressed her distrust of Dani back when it was just her, Dani and Laura. For what and why? I assume because she didn't understand her. Eva acts like she thinks she's an enlightened person. She has lots of confidence in herself. She needs to re-think that. You cannot be mature and enlightened if you mistrust something simply because you don't understand it.

Chris's "just tap out" was a disgusting thing to say to Dani. I felt the pain of it when he said it to her. Again, an overly confident person. Again, needs to rethink that.

I never liked Danielle, even in her original episode. She always seemed kind of smarmy to me, except when she gave her partner the toad to eat. It was nice, but didn't match what else I was seeing in her. Whoever commented above that Danielle does not own that name - I know right?! Is she five? That was all kinds of immature and whiny.

Luke and Laura, well, they have to live with the fact that they helped bully an innocent person. That is weak. I hope they see that in themselves and adjust.

I hate that it seems from the previews that this pack of dogs makes the extraction. I'm sure they will over-praise themselves for their accomplishment. I wanted Dani to stay and finish it out on her own, but I understand what that kind of group bullying can do to a person. It's hard to overcome. I had it happen with some family and it hurt worse than 99% of pain I've ever experienced. A year later one of those people manned up and apologized, and we have a great relationship to this day. Mainly because we keep the rest of them out of it. While some of them won't ever change (Chris and Alana) the others might see the wrong they did and correct it someday.

• Love 10

If there was even one scene of Dani J. committing some egregious offense against any of the others I might begin to understand the vitriol...but I don't recall anything that fits.  I'm aware of editing, but I doubt that something meaty would have been left on the cutting room floor.   Dani J. also seemed mature and willing to assume responsibility. 

I have to wonder if the others were simply jealous of her good sense to bring along a mosquito net which probably afforded Dani at least some relief that the others missed out on, particularly while sleeping at night. 

I honestly think all of those remaining are kind of despicable in their own ways.  EJ and Jeff less so than the others, but seriously, would it have been such a bad thing for them to welcome Dani into their group? Would that not have been the Christian thing to do, Jeff?   I don't consider them stellar individuals either.  It bothered me incredibly when Shane thanked them for putting up with his personality prior to tapping out as though he didn't make valuable contributions to their group like the water hole he dug despite his physical condition at the time.  Both of them seemed to accept his words like they deserved them. 

Definitely rethinking this show and whether or not I will continue watching since it has become a typical reality show gang up rather than an actual survivor experience.

Alone on the History Channel was far superior.

ETA:  Spelling

Edited by ichbin
  • Love 7

Definitely rethinking this show and whether or not I will continue watching since it has become a typical reality show gang up rather than an actual survivor experience.

I agree. XL started off so promisingly with the appropriate groupings of the alphas and betas we mostly wanted to see again, but then they had to all come together as #TeamHighSchool, leeching off of basically one person's efforts. This current incarnation of the show is devoid of the aspects that made it so impressive and refreshing to begin with.

I also can't stand Chris. I never liked Team Bromance because they ostracized and dismissed Honora before she went all feral. Luke was enjoying being a frat boy with Chris and only tried to counsel her after she had already erupted so he really doesn't have a spine, as further evidenced by his relative silence as they ganged up on Dani.

• Love 4

Regarding Jeff and EJ not accepting Dani, I wonder if they were thinking if the other group was imploding and they'd be having to deal with someone else wanting to join them.

I don't remember which 2 women were making those totally inappropriate comments about Dani while Dani was listening in the bushes but I hope they watched the episode and are proud of how they behaved.

There was nothing stopping anyone else from wandering around on their own to find food or even trying to go along with Dani, but that gets in the way of being lazy, ha ha.

I hope Jeff's latest eel sharing is the last time - what would everyone else have done for food if it wasn't for him (and Shane too the first time)? Probably eating possibly rabies infested squirrel, lol.

• Love 4

I wonder when Alana or Danielle will go onto reddit and claim it was all editing again?

Alana has already intimated that on her Facebook page.  Her feed has a lot of negative comments.  She's pretty snarky about her "haters".  I didn't notice any admission that she could have handled anything better.   

• Love 1

Thank goodness next week is the last episode--I almost feel like I've endured as much as they did. That hateful group of 6 is absolutely exhausting and I agree that Dani should've just struck it out on her own since she did pretty well those first few days alone.

When did N&A:XXL stop being a show about survival in the wilderness and become The Real World? 

And, since we're on Survivor-esque territory, I'll sum this episode up with a famous Survivor quote: "Stupid people, stupid people!"

• Love 7

I can't help but wonder if some important things were edited out. It seems strange that everyone would go against Dani. I get that Alana likely planted some thoughts in people's heads, but they can't be that gullible. Laura and Eva didn't like her either before meeting Alana. It doesn't excuse their behavior, but it seems unlikely that multiple people would dislike her for no reason.

I was talking to a friend about this show and how much I detested Alana for what, I believe, she did to Dani and Shane.  She said to me, "well Neurochick, that's nature.  In nature the ones who can't run with the herd are cast aside, the runt of the litter is abandoned, that's just nature."  I think a lot of that is true.  Sometimes I think that polite society exists, in the US, because most of us have our needs met.

Though I like Jeff, I thought it was interesting that he, or EJ said something like it's better with only two people.  That makes me wonder if they on the first day, consciously, or unconsciously forced the third man on their team out.  Interesting that they didn't want Dani, yet they took in Shane.

In Recovery programs there's a saying, HALT don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, meaning that you could be a perfectly nice and decent person, but if you get hungry, or tired watch out.  I do think that Alana is an awful person but then I think, is she like that because she's hungry and tired?   How would any of us act in that situation?  I like to think of myself as tolerant of all types of people, but in a survival situation, where I was hungry and not getting enough sleep, I might not be so nice.

• Love 4

Though I like Jeff, I thought it was interesting that he, or EJ said something like it's better with only two people.  That makes me wonder if they on the first day, consciously, or unconsciously forced the third man on their team out.  Interesting that they didn't want Dani, yet they took in Shane.

They definitely did not help Hakim other than to encourage him to take it easy.  It was a real disappointment that EJ and Jeff did not get the search for water going when they saw how ill Hakim had become.  They knew they would need water sometime, yet they waited until Hakim was gone to 'find' water. Real team mates may have changed direction when they saw one needed help.  It is starting to appear that Jeff & EJ are attempting to use this as a launching pad for reality show fame.  They really like to whoop it up when they kill something.  Also getting tired of the "bro" and "dude" vocabulary they employ.

Alana could have used a trip to the make-up counter with the unbelievable bags under her eyes.  Probably not getting enough sleep thinking up who she will attack next, or possibly because she feels bad for the evil she has wrought.

How about that Eva, she's just starting to learn from her new guru, Alana. 

• Love 4

They definitely did not help Hakim other than to encourage him to take it easy.  It was a real disappointment that EJ and Jeff did not get the search for water going when they saw how ill Hakim had become.  They knew they would need water sometime, yet they waited until Hakim was gone to 'find' water. Real team mates may have changed direction when they saw one needed help.  It is starting to appear that Jeff & EJ are attempting to use this as a launching pad for reality show fame.  They really like to whoop it up when they kill something.  Also getting tired of the "bro" and "dude" vocabulary they employ.

Yes, I do remember they didn't help Hakim at all.  They didn't want Dani, yet they took in Shane.  Perhaps there's a little racism/sexism in there somewhere?  Maybe, but probably because they felt that Hakim was "weak" where they felt Shane was strong?  Who knows?  I thought Jeff was a good Christian?  But maybe he really sucks.  

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

In Recovery programs there's a saying, HALT don't get too hungry, angry, lonely or tired, meaning that you could be a perfectly nice and decent person, but if you get hungry, or tired watch out.  I do think that Alana is an awful person but then I think, is she like that because she's hungry and tired?   How would any of us act in that situation?  I like to think of myself as tolerant of all types of people, but in a survival situation, where I was hungry and not getting enough sleep, I might not be so nice.

Yeah, the situation does not help, especially when someone is already awful. But you can tell Alana is really that bad because of how she has acted on social media since then. She is still taunting Shane and keeps referring to people as "haters." If she were just hangry, she'd be like "wow, I sure was bitchier than usual, huh? Sorry about that!"

• Love 6

My rambling thoughts...

Yeah, I have a love/hate relationship with EJ/Jeff. Overall, I like and respect EJ. On one of his two N&A episodes, after he and his more "hippie" partner had a constructive conversation about their differences, he came to respect her choices and methods. He can communicate and consider what others have to say. IIRC, they worked together well and equally after they talked. Jeff's eagerness and emphasis on killing things bothers me. Yes, hunting is part of survival. And, yes, Jeff is a hunter, which is a great skill for this kind of challenge. But, for example, his saying "I WILL kill one more eel before we leave. That is a fact," combined with the OTT yelling and proclaiming supremacy when he does kill something really puts me off. Sure, he follows that with prayer of thanks, but I do have to wonder if G-d would be pleased with his taking so much primal pleasure in killing one of His creatures, rather than expressing joy and thanks for the opportunity to eat. It's one thing to yell in happiness that you're going to eat, but his victory yells seem more about the killing than the sustenance. For some reason, that bothers me.

With all that said, Jeff does try to do the right thing, and I give him lots of credit for that. He apologizes to the big group, and he shares the eel with them, which is more than charitable in a survival situation. EJ is more than happy to go along with that. There is no denying the two guys work well together and respect each other. One thing I have to criticize the guys for is their watching and laughing privately at the other group's poor attempt at fishing/hunting. They had two options: 1) Go about their own business, or 2) give them advice or education on what they've done successfully, so the group could be more self sufficient (give a man a fish vs teach a man to fish...blah, blah). Sure, not the guys' job, but the positive outcome would be the larger group not expecting to be fed, and Jeff/EJ not being resentful when they ultimately share their food. Would it deplete resources in the area? Maybe, but I don't think they'd be fishing the lake empty, given the time left in the challenge.

If I was to speculate about why the guys didn't take (awesome)Dani in after previously accepting Shane, I really do think it was the potential for drama. When they took in Shane, they believed they were leaving the area and wouldn't have to deal with the drama coming from Alana and (evil)Dani after their trek to the lake. They likely had no idea they'd see them again during the challenge. If they took in (awesome)Dani, they would do so knowing Drama Central is 1/4 mile away and that they run into members of that group almost daily.

I am so disappointed with the larger group. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. I echo the thought that I think (awesome)Dani would have thrived on her own out there. I'm guessing that, during her treks, she found food of some kind, because it didn't look like she was there when the group ate the eel or the ray, and I don't think the group saved any for her. Yet, she does have the energy to trek daily. I kept hoping she'd come back to camp with some kind of awesome food source for everyone. That would have been awesome. Also? The biggest "fuck you" if they still treated her like shit and she tapped out, leaving them lying around hoping for gift eels and questionable squirrel.

Edited by Captain Asshat
  • Love 4

I wondered at the time why EJ and Jeff didn't immediately focus on cutting through the that tangle of bamboo and brush so they could look for water on lower ground. Instead, they all agreed to build a shelter... But then Hakim got sick right away. I think they were afraid to leave Hakim alone in camp all day in such bad shape. Jeff and EJ probably put off hacking through all that stuff because they knew it could take both of them about a full day. The way Hakim was curled up in pain and having spasms, I would certainly have been afraid to leave him alone. Hakim could have had a full-on heat stroke --his temperature could have spiked up really high, then he could have gone unconscious or had a sezure (or even worse) --and EJ and Jeff couldn't be certain that a cameraman would be focused on Hakim all the time, to call a medic. So at least one of them had to stay with Hakim.

Jeff and EJ were looking for water during that time, by the way. They were collecting those cacti, and checking out the general vicinity. (But that's very boring activity, not the kind of thing they show us on reality TV.)

I was really sad about Hakim tapping out so early. With his ninja training, he would have been a wild card --good at climbing trees, for example, and other acrobatic/strength tasks. 

As for Shane --he had some of those skills, too, but he wasted them on the Mean Girls. (By the time those girls were finished with him, Shane was too depleted for climbing trees.) Even so, he was a hard worker. Jeff and EJ took Shane on because he did his part --and because they saw for themselves a bit of the Drama and manipulation Alana and Danielle used to attack him.

Dani had made the choice to stay with her 3-woman team after they teamed up with Chris and Luke --and chose again to stay with that group even after they added the Mean Girls who had literally taunted Shane to tears. EJ and Luke wanted no part in Alana's vicious drama and they were probably worried that Team High School might continue harassing Dani even after she left to join the Alphas. So they (reluctantly) decided Dani had already made her choices (and they had made theirs). 

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 3

Alana could have used a trip to the make-up counter with the unbelievable bags under her eyes.  Probably not getting enough sleep thinking up who she will attack next, or possibly because she feels bad for the evil she has wrought.

How about that Eva, she's just starting to learn from her new guru, Alana. 

Jeff and EJ did help out Hakeem. There is an interview out there where Hakeem stated that Jeff and EJ did all they could for him. Fetching water for him and telling him to take it easy. He admitted that he hadnt prepared this time like he should have and his muscles suffered from it. It wasnt dehydration that did him in. It was muscle cramps.

• Love 7