Type keyword(s) to search

Monty Python's Flying Circus - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes! Along with "Would you like to come back to my place bouncy-bouncy?" and "Drop your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait until lunchtime."

Have we mentioned Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days yet? A swell gathering on the lawn gone horribly wrong. I'm still amazed that they were able to keep that segment in the episode with all that gore. Fountains of blood.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 1/1/2019 at 1:40 AM, Sandman87 said:

And then of course there was the Funeral Parlor Sketch:

That's the one where the crowd is all booing and they have them storm the set.  One of those controversial pieces that kept Monty Python subversive.

On 1/1/2019 at 11:42 AM, Inquisitionist said:

My all-time favorite is the Hungarian in the tobacconist's shop.  "My hovercraft is full of eels" will never get old...

I like that they explained that later in the show by saying that someone had intentionally given him a wrong and naughty translation book.

• Love 2

German Baroque composer Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern-schplenden-schlitter-crasscrenbon-fried-digger-dingle-dangle-dongle-dungle-burstein-von-knacker-thrasher-apple-banger-horowitz-ticolensic-grander-knotty-spelltinkle-grandlich-grumble-meyer-spelterwasser-kurstlich-himbleeisen-bahnwagen-gutenabend-bitte-ein-nürnburger-bratwustle-gerspurten-mitzweimache-luber-hundsfut-gumberaber-shönendanker-kalbsfleisch-mittler-aucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.

And "French Lecture on Sheep-Aircraft". Listening to them mangle languages with excellent pronunciation was especially fun for me in high school because I was studying French and German at the time.

• Love 2

Clever Sheep

"Sheep don't so much fly, as plummet."

"Harold is that most dangerous of creatures - clever sheep."

I had a professor in college who used a lot slides. This happened to be a particularly dry subject about feudal Britain. Once when he noticed the class was drifting away, he put up a slide of a large ram in front of a castle. And said, that the ram's name was Harold who was that most dangerous of animals. Two of us laughed. The rest didn't get the joke.

Edited by Loandbehold
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

I saw the "Live in Aspen:  One Down Five to Go" special, I've been going through all the Python stuff on Netflix.  This was the film of the final show the Pythons gave in 2014 (they also have a documentary on this show on Netflix).  I remember when this was broadcast, you could see it in certain theaters, and I really wanted to see it at the time, but couldn't for whatever reason.  My impressions:

It's touching the way they've kept Graham Chapman as part of the show.  There would really be something missing if he weren't there, to be honest.  The other Pythons are all in their 70s now, it's fortunate that they are all alive and in good health.  Terry Jones supposedly has trouble remembering his lines now, so you can see him reading off little prompts here and there.

John Cleese's voice was a little rough here.  I think they had done four nights in a row at the O2, which is probably why.  He seems to be in good humor though, so it doesn't really matter.  

If I'm going to criticize, I'll just say it:  too many songs.  It was Eric Idle's idea to turn the show into a musical.  In recent years, he's almost exclusively focused his career on music, writing songs and the like.  He was the one who developed the Spamalot musical.  Actually, if there was a song I would have liked to have seen, the Camelot song would have been nice.  But he's been the one pushing the music side of things, and at times it does work well.  For instance, at one point a song ends just as John Cleese appears and slams down a bird cage, saying "I want to register a complaint", introducing the Parrot Sketch.  Crowd cheers wildly, of course.  Other times there are singers and dancers on stage for long stretches, which makes you wonder where the Pythons are.  Changing costumes presumably.  Ultimately it doesn't matter, of course, because the night is a celebration of Monty Python and also a farewell, and it succeeds on those tasks completely.

One other note:  Reportedly it was Michael Palin who did not want to extend the tour beyond this, or there would have been some more shows.  Palin is usually such an agreeable sort, I can't help but wonder what his reasons were.  Not that he owes us an explanation at this point.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, rmontro said:

One other note:  Reportedly it was Michael Palin who did not want to extend the tour beyond this, or there would have been some more shows.  Palin is usually such an agreeable sort, I can't help but wonder what his reasons were.  Not that he owes us an explanation at this point.

My guess is that it was because Terry Jones is suffering from a form of dementia and was diagnosed about a year after that show. I read an article where the Pythons said they knew it something serious back then. 

Eric just did an interview recently, they are making a Spamalot into a movie. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, AstaCharles said:

My guess is that it was because Terry Jones is suffering from a form of dementia and was diagnosed about a year after that show. I read an article where the Pythons said they knew it something serious back then. 

Eric just did an interview recently, they are making a Spamalot into a movie. 

I guess you're saying Palin declined to continue the tour in order to spare his friend Terry Jones.  In the documentary about the show, the group was aware of Terry Jones memory issues.  You can see him during the show reading his lines, like from the "Crunchy Frog" ingredients list.  It's somewhat noticeable that he is talking a little slower than normal, but given the circumstances, I thought he did a good job.

I didn't know that about Spamalot, so thanks for the info.  Eric Idle continues to push the music stuff.  Palin is probably my favorite Python, but Idle was an early favorite when I first saw the show on PBS back in the '70s.  He had sort of familiar British rock star vibe about him, and of course we were all heavily into music back then.  Funny he ended up focusing on music so much.

• Love 4

It's probably being repeated, a lot have been, but I record almost everything I watch.
I realized that it's free to subscribe to their youtube channel, so I watch some there.

ETA:  There are some on BBCAmerica Sunday morning, tomorrow starting at 7, following Sunday starting a bit earlier.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2
On 1/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, Inquisitionist said:

My all-time favorite is the Hungarian in the tobacconist's shop.  "My hovercraft is full of eels" will never get old...

I think that is mine too. "I will not buy this record, it is scratched" 

On 1/1/2019 at 8:33 PM, Sandman87 said:

Yes! Along with "Would you like to come back to my place bouncy-bouncy?" and "Drop your panties, Sir William, I cannot wait until lunchtime."

Have we mentioned Sam Peckinpah's Salad Days yet? A swell gathering on the lawn gone horribly wrong. I'm still amazed that they were able to keep that segment in the episode with all that gore. Fountains of blood.

I love it! 

On 1/10/2019 at 12:02 PM, Loandbehold said:

Clever Sheep

"Sheep don't so much fly, as plummet."

"Harold is that most dangerous of creatures - clever sheep."

I had a professor in college who used a lot slides. This happened to be a particularly dry subject about feudal Britain. Once when he noticed the class was drifting away, he put up a slide of a large ram in front of a castle. And said, that the ram's name was Harold who was that most dangerous of animals. Two of us laughed. The rest didn't get the joke.

Years ago, my supervisor (who actually started as a friend) was a big Python fan. When I moved to her department (it was a store), we would have so much fun saying lines to each other. Our favorite bit was something that if you blinked you missed it, the fish slapping dance. That we would reenact. Its a wonder we got work done. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Rest in peace Terry. Your role as Mandy in Life of Brian is mentioned a lot, but you made me laugh out loud when you played "Simon" who offered to help a prisoner carry his cross...then got left with it when the prisoner ran off, and got crucified for it. " ugh..it's not my cross..." still gets me.

Edited by AstaCharles
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, AstaCharles said:

you made me laugh out loud when you played "Simon" who offered to help a prisoner carry his cross...then got left with it when the prisoner ran off, and got crucified for it. " ugh..it's not my cross..." still gets me.

I remember the first time I saw that.  It's such a terrible joke, but it was so funny.  I also thought his portrayal of "The Bishop" was memorable.  

RIP Terry, part of the great writing team with Michael Palin.  Another Python lost, it's a sad day.  I can't imagine that his funeral would be able to match Graham's though, or the bit with Graham's ashes.  The other Python members honored him so appropriately.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, rmontro said:

I remember the first time I saw that.  It's such a terrible joke, but it was so funny.  I also thought his portrayal of "The Bishop" was memorable.  

RIP Terry, part of the great writing team with Michael Palin.  Another Python lost, it's a sad day.  I can't imagine that his funeral would be able to match Graham's though, or the bit with Graham's ashes.  The other Python members honored him so appropriately.

In addition to being funny, he was also a scholar in history. What an amazing man.

• Love 3

I'm saddened to report the death of Michael Palin's wife, Helen Gibbins.  They first met while holidaying in the seaside town of Southwold, Suffolk, while in their 20s.  They celebrated their 57th wedding anniversary one month ago.  He is quoted as saying "Helen was the bedrock of my life."  He was my favorite Pythoner. 

"Hello......no, not now......shtoom...shtoom....right......yes, we'll have the watch ready for you at midnight.......the watch.....the Chinese watch....yes, right-oh, bye-bye...mother."

• Sad 5