Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: Fake It 'Til You Make It

I loved Maura waving hello at the guy on camera at the rental car kiosk. She's always so polite. Since the show established that he lives in Boston, I assume we'll be seeing him again. Initially I thought he would be for Jane, but then he seemed to form a rapport with Maura.

Really?  I know we'll never get Rizzles (a romantic relationship between Jane and Maura), but why must so many viewers ship every man that appears on this show with either woman?  It's ludicrous!  Maybe you were joking?  I hope so.  

Really?  I know we'll never get Rizzles (a romantic relationship between Jane and Maura), but why must so many viewers ship every man that appears on this show with either woman?  It's ludicrous!  Maybe you were joking?  I hope so.  

No, I wasn't joking, but it was an observation rather than a shipping statement. (The only guy I've ever really been interested in seeing with one of the women is one that never happened and now never can happen: I always thought Frost and Maura would be great together.) Why else would they bother to have the guy be from Boston? Unless the characters are going to be seeing him again, it would've been more in keeping with the episode to have him be a Californian. And if they're going to bring him back, it's probably as a love interest. It's been a while for both women, not that I've minded because I've hated all of Jane's love interests and been at best indifferent to Maura's (Enver Gjokaj is probably the closest I've come to liking anyone for her, but mainly on the strength of my love for the actor, because his character was kinda boring. Of course I hated the psycho serial killer and the attempts to pair her with Rizzoli men.).

I've enjoyed Rizzles over the seasons, as it happens, but the writing for them, their chemistry, just doesn't feel the same this season. Their relationship has a perfunctory feel nowadays. But then, lots of things don't feel the same to me this season. I'm kind of barely hanging in with the show - I'm basically here for Maura now. Although I like Nina.

Edited by Black Knight

Why else would they bother to have the guy be from Boston?

To facilitate Jane's running commentary on all the differences (real and imaginary) between Boston and Los Angeles by giving her "oh thank god, I'm talking to someone normal, because I've been subjected to nothing but weirdos in the short time I've been here" opening to justify spending screen time on dialogue about car rental.

Setting him up to reappear wouldn't have occurred to me.

The running joke of Jane's hatred of all things California would've worked the same if he was just another Californian and it would've been faster to leave out the "oh, we're both from Boston" part, which didn't add anything in itself to the scene. The joke of talking to a guy on a kiosk screen as well as the payoff of the Aston Martin were sufficient justification for the scene - we didn't need to know anything about him.

• Love 1

I was rather irritated by Jane's attitude about the camera phones, even though Angie Harmon's delivery was very funny and I especially cracked up at the one cop who was totally smiling and waving at the crowd until Jane noticed and yelled at him.

The weird part was how Jane was surprised by it. Ah, that would happen in Boston too and New York, really anywhere

its not uncommon for people to do that when they see cops chasing and/or taking down a suspect. Its not something

they normally see in person. I loved the guy cop who just waved that was funny. It would be in character for her to

not like it but not be surprised by it but find it annoying or in an even more rare thing comment how she hates it

because of that one time she ended up on the internet in that video in which she was being set up for a lawsuit.

But the last part seems unlikely, the writers never seem to remember anything that happened before on the

show.

Maura pulling out the headscarf in preparation for driving the car was classic. If only she'd added sunglasses to complete the look!

I loved that too. But yes she should have had glasses. That would be so Maura.

• Love 1

Maura pulling out the headscarf in preparation for driving the car was classic. If only she'd added sunglasses to complete the look!

I wonder if they thought it would be too similar to and steal the thunder from the bit in club where Jane tells Maura to put on the sunglasses and read her phone to pretend to be a movie star---because I can't imagine why else she wouldn't put them on to drive in the convertible.
  • Love 1

Jane's running commentary on how everything is weird in LA didn't fit at all with her transformation into a sleek-haired, crop-topped Hollywood fixer.  And how did she get her Boston hairdo back overnight?

The  LA-based writer apparently decided to portray Bostonians as behind the times (breakfast burritos are everywhere, Katie Wech).  You overdid it.  

• Love 1

The weird part was how Jane was surprised by it. Ah, that would happen in Boston too and New York, really anywhere

its not uncommon for people to do that when they see cops chasing and/or taking down a suspect. Its not something

they normally see in person. I loved the guy cop who just waved that was funny. It would be in character for her to

not like it but not be surprised by it but find it annoying or in an even more rare thing comment how she hates it

because of that one time she ended up on the internet in that video in which she was being set up for a lawsuit.

But the last part seems unlikely, the writers never seem to remember anything that happened before on the

show.

And just this season, wasn't it a camera that helped clear Frankie in the shooting by proving the guy he shot did have a gun? I vaguely remember them watching footage and seeing that the gun was stolen by someone else. Cameras help cops too.

I wonder if they thought it would be too similar to and steal the thunder from the bit in club where Jane tells Maura to put on the sunglasses and read her phone to pretend to be a movie star---because I can't imagine why else she wouldn't put them on to drive in the convertible.

Yeah, I think that was probably the reasoning. But I think they could have done both, since wearing sunglasses while driving would not have invalidated Maura's objection to wearing them inside the nightclub; the former is normal, the latter is a "LA thing." Actually, it would've even helped set up the nightclub bit because it would have explained Jane knowing for certain that Maura had sunglasses with her, if she'd seen Maura wearing them earlier.

But mostly I'm just bummed to miss out on the visual of Maura driving the convertible with a head scarf and sunglasses! Come on, Show!

• Love 3