Type keyword(s) to search

Media, Ratings, and More: The Blogs Continue To Be Crazy!

• Start Topic

I'm not saying you (and many others) are wrong, purist. Or that the women angrily speaking out publicly about Trevor don't have a beef about his "jokes" being offensive. What I am implying is that to get anything more out of Trevor, besides what he already said, would be the equivalent of trying to squeezing blood out of a stone. A whole slew of stand up comedians would be far less courteous than Trevor was if they were in his position. Hell, some of them would react just as offensively.

If they want to protest Trevor's appearances in Australia this coming month, they can go for it. But I'm not sure, at this point, what they hope to accomplish in the end.

• Love 3

Apples and oranges. Like I said, being a stand up comedian is different from hosting a television show where you may influence peoples thought process. There's a different code involved in the former, where one is just personally blowing off steam.

Trevor did an interview on a community radio station in Brisbane, Australia, on a show called Wild Black Women, which is hosted by two Aboriginal women. I haven't listened to it yet, but here is a newspaper report about it, and here is the audio. And here is an article by one of the women who interviewed him, in which she relates what happened at Trevor's show in Melbourne on Thursday night. Spoiler: it's not good. :(

Edited by purist
  • Love 1

‘The Daily Show With Trevor Noah’ Executive Producer Steve Bodow To Depart

Steve Bodow, executive producer of The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, will be leaving after 16+ years with Comedy Central’s late-night franchise. He just informed the staff of the show of his decision.

Bodow’s departure is not imminent — he will stay on and help with transitional matters as well as work on a few more projects before leaving some time in the first quarter of 2019.

Some people online seem to be taking that as an indication of ominous happenings for the show. The guy is one of four executive producers ... maybe he just wanted different professional challenges after 16 years. Jeez.

• Love 4

OK, I just have to share this, although it's old news in a couple of ways...

So I'm watching Mr Selfridge, and a new character appears. He is to be a true mustache-twirling villain. However, I find him so distracting...

MR_SELFRIDGE_SERIES3_EP10_18.jpg

He looks so much like Jon Stewart that I can't stand it! He's played by Irish actor Aidan McArdle, whom I don't remember seeing before. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Can you imagine how many devout Fox news viewers who have absolutely no context were genuinely confused by the ad? :D I bet it was a deliberate decision to have Desi, an attractive young blond to front it.

Edited by sum
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2

TDS took out a full-page newspaper ad for the legal firm Trevor Noah & Associates & Sons Presidential Attorneys, reading: “Are you a soon-to-be ex-president? About to lose legal immunity? Has your lawyer gone to jail? Call the very fine people on YOUR side.”

The best part is if you call the number listed in the ad (1-210-WH-CRIME), you're asked to press 1 if you're the president and 2 if you're not.  One leads to a message from Trevor touting relocating to Uganda as an option, given its "strong goat-based economy" and lack of extradition treaty, offering to transport the president and "any members of your family you actually like" there.  Two encourages people to register to vote.

There's more information, and a picture of the ad, in this Variety article

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

Directors Guild of America nominations!

Variety Talk/News/Sports (Regularly Scheduled Programming)
Paul G. Casey - Real Time With Bill Maher, “Episode 1835” (HBO)
Jim Hoskinson - The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, “#1025 Live Show Following Capitol Insurrection” (CBS)
Don Roy King - Saturday Night Live, “Dave Chappelle; Foo Fighters” (NBC)
David Paul Meyer - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, “President Obama: Inspiring Future Leaders & ‘A Promised Land’ (Comedy Central)
Christopher Werner - Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, “Trump & Election Results” (HBO)

Variety Talk/News/Sports (Specials)
Stacey Angeles - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah Presents ‘Remembering RBG: A Nation Ugly Cried with Desi Lydic’ (Comedy Central)
Marielle Heller - What the Constitution Means to Me (Amazon)
Jim Hoskinson - The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, “Stephen Colbert’s Election Night 2020: Democracy’s Last Stand: Building Back America Great Again Better 2020” (Showtime)
Spike Lee - American Utopia (HBO)
Thomas Schlamme - A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote (HBO Max)

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television

“8:46 – Dave Chappelle (Special)” (Netflix)
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” (Comedy Central) – Season 26

“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver” (HBO) – Season 7

“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” (CBS) – Season 6

“Saturday Night Live” (NBC) – Season 46

The show is supposedly coming back with new episodes on Monday, 9/13. That's what the show's website says, anyway. But my DirecTV listings say there will  be repeats all week, and thus my DVR isn't automatically recording them. I just thought I'd mention it, in  case anyone else is in the same boat and would want to set up a manual recording, or try to watch it live. 

I'm curious to find out what they've decided to do with the new season. I really liked the stripped down pandemic shows, and I'm interested to see what they decide to do next.

• Love 2

Comcast had it wrong, too. Manually recorded and glad I did. Too many media outlets reporting new season starts Monday 9/13.

I don't know about the new format. I'll give it some time to settle in and see.

Glad he interviewed Fauci and had a good talk with Roy.

• Love 1

Now that I've watched the video:  That was a nice announcement of why he's decided to move on, but he's not going to just disappear right now, they'll work out the timing.  Imagine turning up for what you think is a run of the mill taping and hearing that!

I think back on when he was announced as the next host after Jon Stewart, and I had no idea who this guy was beyond a few TDS pieces and was dismayed by a handful of sexist, anti-atheist, anti-semitic tweets in his past.  But as time went on, they seemed to be bad acts from which he genuinely strayed, not something he stayed away from to keep a job.  He did this job well, intelligent, funny, and a good interviewer. 

I look forward to seeing who next fills that role, and am glad for his tenure.

• Like 1
  • Love 10

Trevor! Noooooo! Ahhhhhh! 🥲

Actually, I sorta sensed this coming. It seemed he didn't want to be tied to the Daily Show desk much longer. Still, I'll miss his intelligent and thoughtful commentary on so many terrible things going on in our world.

Now, the question is: when is he leaving and who will replace him? Sam Bee? 🤞

• Love 3

I feel like the show went backwards when he came back from the pandemic and put back in place all the things he said he wasn't going to go back to. 

His quarantine shows were the only time I felt like TDS became his own. And reverting back just because everybody else did the same thing felt like misstep. He even said he'd never put a suit back on and then he did.

I don't know if he was forced to or he just couldn't figure out how to make the vlog format work for good, but that was the only time his Daily Show felt essential for me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, DrSparkles said:

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭 IMO, he’s the best interviewer on late night. I have felt that there’s something off with him… I think ever since he got Covid he’s rethinking priorities.

He's definitely a good interviewer. He's genuinely interested in his guest, he asks thoughtful questions, he doesn't use the discussion as a springboard for his own anecdotes. Mr. BaaBaa and I were trying to think who else is a good interviewer of that caliber. Couldn't really come up with anyone viable.

Trevor took a while to grow on me. Now I realize what a loss to late night this will be 🥲 Plus he had great chemistry with his correspondents. Dang.

• Love 5

I think having multiple co-hosts in theory is not a bad idea. But I don't think any of the current "correspondents" are good enough to give them the role. They mostly do gag humor with only the tiniest amount of actual insight. It's just not interesting enough. There are too many shows now that are doing actual commentary on the news for TDS to rest on its laurels. It has to actually be interesting and informative and say something different, not just be generic "ain't politics irritating" and "harass people on the street for laughs". 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, marina to said:

Does anyone know what has happened to the show in Canada? It's no longer on the Comedy Network/CTV.

Was coming to ask the same thing. I tweeted CTV Comedy, and no response. 

• Like 1