Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

Is there anybody from NYC area that watches TDS? I'm certain Jordan's backdrop was Midtown Comics, but I'm not sure whether it's the Grand Central location or at Fulton Street. Also, I feel that Star Wars is newsworthy, but I'm a geek like that. While I'm uncertain as to what stories could be told after Episode VI, I'm not getting angry over Finn the Black Stormtrooper.

Anybody else figure that Trevor wouldn't have talked about the Canadian election if John Oliver hadn't talked about it on his show first?

The right were the ones who pulled shit like using the filibuster as a daily political strategy against President Obama, and hold the debt ceiling hostage until they got things their way. And they're the ones who, with the aid of Fox News and other RWNJs, used lies and distractions to get their agenda pushed through, like destroy ACORN or get Shirley Sherrod fired because of a doctored video. I'd say the level of bullshit between the right and the left accurately shows the right far, far engaged in this behavior than the left could. And any attempt to try and even things out is an attempt at false equivalency, which ironically Jon was accused of on more than one occasion in places like here and over at TWoP.

Your comment is interesting. I actually had read an article recently that criticized mainstream media for focusing too much on "being balanced" versus reporting accurate information that could have shed a negative light on one side. It went on to indicate the negative consequences of the falsely balanced storylines regarding what the public hears and what we do/do not hold politicians and the government accountable for. 

Anybody else figure that Trevor wouldn't have talked about the Canadian election if John Oliver hadn't talked about it on his show first?

Not exactly. With Trevor in the reins TDS' future plans would expand their topics beyond US and politics, so covering an international direction would have been part of their agenda. Also, I wouldn't have surprised me if Trevor would mention (thanked) Ollie-Scone for his last-minute contributions before election day.

Also, Jordan's "Fantasy Culture Correspondent" title seems befitting for someone invested in science fiction and other fantasy elements without giving them a derogative title. They could've used "geek" or "nerd" or "fictional fanboy" but at least those stereotypical titles are wearing off these days. 

• Love 1
The right were the ones who pulled shit like using the filibuster as a daily political strategy against President Obama, and hold the debt ceiling hostage until they got things their way. And they're the ones who, with the aid of Fox News and other RWNJs, used lies and distractions to get their agenda pushed through, like destroy ACORN or get Shirley Sherrod fired because of a doctored video. I'd say the level of bullshit between the right and the left accurately shows the right far, far engaged in this behavior than the left could. And any attempt to try and even things out is an attempt at false equivalency, which ironically Jon was accused of on more than one occasion in places like here and over at TWoP.

That's a political view, not a comment about TDS. My perspective, as an independent, supported by the fact that JS is beloved by the left and not the right, is that JS's choice of topics, and his editorial slant, was very left. I am not saying that either the right or left is better, or that was either political party does (or has done) is good or bad. That isn't my point.

Have you ever read the book Animal Farm? There are some good lessons there.

I actually had read an article recently that criticized mainstream media for focusing too much on "being balanced" versus reporting accurate information that could have shed a negative light on one side. It went on to indicate the negative consequences of the falsely balanced storylines regarding what the public hears and what we do/do not hold politicians and the government accountable for.

Can't get my head around that. Being balanced doesn't mean you can't hold politicians accountable. It means that you include more than one perspective, and give more or less equal weight to each - even if you don't agree with one. That could be in a single report, or in a series of reports over time. if you continually take the same perspective on an issue where there is debate, or you mock another perspective without considering any of its merits (merits that may exist but be different than the reporter's personal views), then you are not being balanced. That's the path JS often took in the last few years, IMO.

Trevor seems to be heading back to the rich comedy grounds that is commenting not on issues, but on how the media reports those issues. That's safer. His Biden report went there. 

I was surprised that the show didn't get into the Freedom Caucus reaction to Paul Ryan's demands. Maybe that'll be addressed in tonight's show.

I didn't care for Jessica's bit. There were some weird edits, I thought, and the thing just didn't work for me. Not that funny nor insightful.

I really want to see Room. I knew about it before last night's show, but I thought Trevor explanation of the plot was really poor. Fortunately, Brie Larson is funny, smart, and engaging.

I don't think much will change in congress overall, but I'm wondering too what the tea party reaction to "you're going to sit down and shut up". They're still going to whine about the debt ceiling and planned parenthood.

It means that you include more than one perspective, and give more or less equal weight to each

Not all perspectives are equal.  Discussions about global warming give "equal weight" to "yes, it's a thing" and "nuh-uh", despite the scientific community being overwhelmingly on the "is, too" side.  Or look at the debate over vaccines.

• Love 13

That's a political view, not a comment about TDS. My perspective, as an independent, supported by the fact that JS is beloved by the left and not the right, is that JS's choice of topics, and his editorial slant, was very left. I am not saying that either the right or left is better, or that was either political party does (or has done) is good or bad. That isn't my point.

That is so a comment on TDS under Jon. He saw the outrageous stupidity in our political and media culture, and what it was doing to America, and pointed it out on a regular basis. That he showcased the right's antics far more than the left's wasn't something Jon did by design but rather what he was given to work with. He never wasted an opportunity to slam any dumb thing liberals did, like calling Harry Reid a terrible person one time.

And besides, TDS is, first and foremost, a comedy show. Something Jon has made mention of on more than one occasion. And comedy is very subjective. It isn't supposed to be fair and balanced.

• Love 6

Trevor is well and truly settled in now and taking ownership of the jokes and the skits and he's looking very comfortable doing it. I like his cheerier demeanour over the cynical Jon we had for so many months/years but he still gets some really good zingers in. I'm thoroughly enjoying his show.

• Love 4

And besides, TDS is, first and foremost, a comedy show. Something Jon has made mention of on more than one occasion. And comedy is very subjective. It isn't supposed to be fair and balanced.

Exactly -- it's news & media satire with a liberal bent, and has never pretended otherwise. And the show mocks liberals when they do ridiculous things, just not for their liberal politics, since the show is approached from a left POV.

Trevor's getting progressively better every day. This is a fun arc to watch!

• Love 2

Noah tweeted from Dubai, where he's performing, and so that's how I learned that he's on vacation next week after just four weeks.

Noah will also be on Jimmy Kimmel in L.A. next week.

He was also performing for the Eddie Murphy tribute on Sunday...

One thing I've noticed is that Noah is keeping up doing his standup gigs.

When Jimmy Fallon first started, he'd spend the weekends traveling the country performing and tweeting about everything...Nowadays, he just takes the weekend off, as he should.

I hope Noah doesn't do too much extracuricular stuff.

That is so a comment on TDS under Jon. He saw the outrageous stupidity in our political and media culture, and what it was doing to America, and pointed it out on a regular basis. That he showcased the right's antics far more than the left's wasn't something Jon did by design but rather what he was given to work with. He never wasted an opportunity to slam any dumb thing liberals did, like calling Harry Reid a terrible person one time.

This is not the original article I referred to but another article now discussing the media's equal treatment of unequalsides. http://www.salon.com/2015/10/24/lets_call_them_all_lunatics_fearful_balanced_journalists_let_wingnuts_run_wild/

Disclaimer: I have not yet read the whole thing. My phone notification gave me that story, and I started to read it at the store but have not yet finished.

Such a shame no one has input about Jordan Klepper's piece about the Illinois lottery, which I liked. Sure, it sounds like a filler correspondents piece but it did make me reconsider the structure of lotteries. It makes me wonder about which government needs to be restructured: the one in D.C. or the state gov. It just seems like a never-ending pattern of Republicans interfering with progression. I just feel really bad for the couple Jordan interviewed. 

And really, a cell phone for a camera?!? I guess going up close with the authorities is becoming a norm for TDS that I think almost every professional institution has kept them on the blacklist after Jon Stewart's departure.

It's strange, but refreshing to see TDS cover superheroes/pop culture representation, especially now that African Americans are gaining more spotlight and Supergirl is garnering the same. There are politics in this medium and it gives enough love for those "Fantasy Culture" Enthusiasts.

Still wish TDS was on so I can watch them cover any Halloween-related stories, but they have to be in sync with TNS and @midnight's break-less tenure, so I'll live.

I felt bad for the couple until the guy said he still buys lottery tickets.

Although I think it's an important point how Republican governors may be even worse than Congress. I mean, look at Kansas.

Rachel Maddow never hugged Jon before. Wonder why she did so with Trevor? I don't watch her show, because I don't get MSNBC, but it's clear she wants Bernie Sanders to be the Democratic nominee for president but is resigned to the fact that Hillary Clinton will win it.

Maddow has a history of enjoying disruptors. She likes it when an outsider throws an establishment into chaos. She didn't give Obama that kind of coverage but she was definitely entertained by Ron Paul's campaigns. Similarly, she was definitely entertained by the scramble by the Iowa GOP trying to make Romney the winner and not being able to cover up that he wasn't.

Jessica Williams was right, we'd get another shooting before Thanksgiving.  Before Halloween even.

Sadly, by the time I watched it there indeed was another shooting.

He occasionally made a comment about Dems and the left, but far less than the right

In this current environment, counting the number of times Stewart dinged Republicans and Democrats to determine "bias" is as sensible as counting the number of positive mentions Superman gets vs The Parasite as proof of The Daily Planet's bias.

• Love 2

I like that Trevor is bringing more international stuff on to the show and using his perspective as an "outsider" to point out America's foibles; Americans are so self-centered, we think we're the only place "real" news happens. (To date, his Donald Trump/African dictator montage was the best thing the new show has done already, and I love when Trevor puts on his high school girl accent.)

I hope he starts zinging the left more and more; there's no reason the show has to remain left-leaning. Not that I didn't enjoy Jon Stewart's evisceration of Republicans (they certainly deserve it), but he was never as vicious to Democrats.

I have always hated the "moment of zen." I think it's stupid.

I really want to see Room. I knew about it before last night's show, but I thought Trevor explanation of the plot was really poor. Fortunately, Brie Larson is funny, smart, and engaging.

You should definitely see it. It's extremely moving and Brie (and her co-star Jacob) are amazing. I cried. A LOT. 

Trevor is well and truly settled in now and taking ownership of the jokes and the skits and he's looking very comfortable doing it. 

I'm with you on that, shok. I think he's definitely finding his groove... and it'll be interesting to see how the show evolves as it goes along.. 

Okay, it's a horrible situation and the White House is being totally shady about Syria, but Trevor's summation made me snort-laugh more than once. "Just the tip!"

I love when he does his fake American accent.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 5

Interesting -- two extended desk pieces.  They are really playing with the mix of desk pieces / correspondent throws / pre-taped segments.  And have they ever done a psuedo-commercial before?

I enjoyed both segments.

• Love 2

If the police do their jobs properly and conduct themselves in a professional manner and don't treat certain people as if they're some kind of violent threat, then they have nothing to worry about. Otherwise, they may come off as whiners who now feel like they can't get away with doing something bad to the people they were sworn to "serve and protect".

• Love 3

The bit about the whining about cops being targeted and victimized by people filming everything they do was totally on point and felt very much like it would have made a best of Jon reel.

I think the first segment about how US troops are most certainly not in combat would easily fit into Jon's run as well.

• Love 1
If the police do their jobs properly and conduct themselves in a professional manner and don't treat certain people as if they're some kind of violent threat, then they have nothing to worry about.

In fact, they may actually come off as heroes! Cops who did a good job would be beloved, not feared and hated. They'd be lauded like firefighters, and treated like pillars of the community, role models, etc. Just this week, Colbert aired a clip of a cop who de-escalated a tense situation by getting into a dance-off with someone on the street. You wouldn't have to be that cool to gain respect from people, but it shows that video is not a threat, unless you have something to hide.

I think Noah's hosting is starting to really work. he's found ways to incorporate his "not from here" vibe along with his own humor, and still address issues that are of interest to people who are "from here." He doesn't yell and get angry like Jon did, and I think he absolutely would not get away with if he did. Sometimes his way of giggling at everything is a little off-putting to me, because I'm the type who tends towards getting riled up and angry, but I think it's not an inherently bad quality for him to have, this ability to not lose his cool despite everything. I think he does need to find a way to convey that he takes it seriously and does actually care, and isn't just passing it all by with only mild interest, though. The subject matter of the show is only funny because we rise above it, not because we don't think it's really horrible to start with.

But even with that criticism, I think he's really doing a great job now, and sometimes the actual commentary is razor sharp.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1

Aww....those "gotcha" questions are just too hard on those Republican candidates.  You do realize that you occasionally have to answer tough questions from time to time, don't you?  I mean, you can't always retreat to Fox News and get softballs from them all day long, right?  Reminds me when Sarah Palin thought "What newspapers do you read?" was a 'gotcha' question as well.  And you do realize you Republican candidates that you occasionally have to give speeches in conditions that aren't a pristine 67 degrees, don't you? 

I think those Republicans on that debate stage are bigger divas than the Real Housewives of (fill in the blank).  Geesh.

• Love 4

Trevor and the writers had some fun with Iowa for sure. "I hadn't even heard of it until 3 months ago." And while (Trump aside) I usually think digs at someone's looks are uncalled for, the Iowa guy did look like a hybrid of Costanza and Newman.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 2

Aww....those "gotcha" questions are just too hard on those Republican candidates.  You do realize that you occasionally have to answer tough questions from time to time, don't you?  I mean, you can't always retreat to Fox News and get softballs from them all day long, right?  Reminds me when Sarah Palin thought "What newspapers do you read?" was a 'gotcha' question as well.  And you do realize you Republican candidates that you occasionally have to give speeches in conditions that aren't a pristine 67 degrees, don't you? 

I think those Republicans on that debate stage are bigger divas than the Real Housewives of (fill in the blank).  Geesh.

I just want to know how it became a thing that any question you don't have an answer for is a "gotcha" question.  More of the legacy of Palin, I guess?  

And, yes, how are we supposed to believe any of them can lead this country when they can't handle the stress of being asked questions by a couple debate moderators in a room over 67 degrees?  They think that's an unbearably stressful situation, and they want us to put them in charge of our military and the nuke codes?  

TDS lampooned them perfectly.  It's just a shame that the media isn't doing the same.  We're just seeing their whining and not anyone (other than President Obama) pointing out how absurd it is that people trying to land the single most stressful job in this nation can't handle a little sweat and thinking.  I mean, how does anyone let them get away with that "oh, the Dems' debate was so softball!!" whining without listing some of those questions we from Anderson Cooper that we saw TDS run through?  It's like Trump has bullied the media so much with his "I'm going to take my ball and go home" behavior that nobody is willing to call any of them out on their blatant lying.  

• Love 1

I'm really glad Gloria Steinem shut down the silly approach to the interview last night and brought some substance. She's awesome. I think Trevor is a funnier and funnier host every day, but someone behind the scenes needs to do some serious interview coaching. This isn't news, but I just want to at least see baby steps!

Trevor being so charmed by how handsome Anderson Cooper is was adorable.

I mean, how does anyone let them get away with that "oh, the Dems' debate was so softball!!" whining without listing some of those questions we from Anderson Cooper that we saw TDS run through?  It's like Trump has bullied the media so much with his "I'm going to take my ball and go home" behavior that nobody is willing to call any of them out on their blatant lying.  

The funny part is that they're right about the tone of the Dem debate -- it was much more civil and substantive and dignified. But that was because of the answers, not the questions! Look inwards, candidates! Good grief.

Edited by gesundheit
  • Love 5

I loved the one-two punch pieces about the ridiculously oversized importance Iowa gives itself in the election process followed by the very pointed commentary on the apparently needed babyproofing of the Republican debates.  How the hell do any of these people expect us to think they're capable of taking on what's arguably one of the most stressful jobs in the world when they can't handle a 68-degree stage or questions that haven't been vetted in advance?  The montage of the candidates' empty braggadocio was pitch perfect in relation to this. Trevor's really hitting his stride on the biting political commentary, and it's fast becoming as good as anything Jon ever did.

The Daily Show at its best has always made me painfully aware of the failings of current "serious journalism."  It's doing that again and doing it well.

• Love 4

'Stab him with his boxing knife...' Boxing is very different in South Africa. I think Trevor is really hitting his stride now. I find myself laughing out loud as much as I did when Jon was at the desk.

He's done the "X is different in South Africa" bit a few times now and it never fails to get a laugh out of me.

• Love 4

The bit about the whining about cops being targeted and victimized by people filming everything they do was totally on point and felt very much like it would have made a best of Jon reel.

&

I think the first segment about how US troops are most certainly not in combat would easily fit into Jon's run as well.

Which indicates to me that while Stewart certainly was integral to the tone of the show, much of the content was likely driven by the writers. I think I recall reading that much of the writing staff remained at the show, post-Stewart.

• Love 1

Good show last night. I agree with the comments here.

"Oh NOW you're concerned about warming."

TBH, I didn't watch the Democratic or Republican debates, but were there any softball questions in the D debate?

Loved the Steinem interview and that she made Trevor stop joking so she could make her very interesting and important point about how many people view women of power.

"Gotcha!"

• Love 2

My politics are more left than right by a long shot, but I loved Trevor lashing into Obama and the administration for refusing to say that we're basically opening a new front in the Middle East, when we should really get out of there entirely.

I haven't seen last night's episode yet (I watch them the day after on DVR), but I liked that Monday's show had no correspondents' stories. I very rarely find them funny, partly because I can't understand what public official would agree to appear on a "The Daily Show" segment when they should know they're going to be mocked.

Personally, I have almost zero interest in comparing Trevor and Jon Stewart; they're different people who do things differently. 

I don't think it's fair to compare the two either.

I loved the one-two punch pieces about the ridiculously oversized importance Iowa gives itself in the election process followed by the very pointed commentary on the apparently needed babyproofing of the Republican debates.

If I were a candidate, I'd spend minimal time in Iowa. It's not worth the few delegates out of 1100 needed, nor does Iowa even remotely represent the nation. Way back, sure this was a lot of people's first exposure to the candidates. Now, they're all over the news cycle. It's not like you don't know what the candidates are about. It's silly really, and a classic example of doing something because that's how it's been done. I'm glad the show pointed out that the past few winners had zero effect on the race. So does NH really.

There's been some fair criticism of the CNBC debate. Part of which is that the networks are more concerned with ratings than the actual debate. So it's ok to me if the candidates are insisting on something like opening statements. But they torpedo themselves by complaining about the liberal media when you look at the Democratic debate and the questions are legit.

• Love 1
I very rarely find them funny, partly because I can't understand what public official would agree to appear on a "The Daily Show" segment when they should know they're going to be mocked.

And as we learned last night, if you are Republican and recognize this and decline to appear on the show, you will still be mocked. Refusing access for TDS was pretty stupid, though. Say no to interviews, but don't refuse access.

The funny part is that they're right about the tone of the Dem debate -- it was much more civil and substantive and dignified. But that was because of the answers, not the questions!

The WSJ had an editorial earlier this week where they rephrased debate questions to Democrats in ways that resembled the way the moderators asked questions of Republicans. Interesting juxtaposition. The Republicans had a point. The party handled it very poorly, though. 

My politics are more left than right by a long shot, but I loved Trevor lashing into Obama and the administration for refusing to say that we're basically opening a new front in the Middle East, when we should really get out of there entirely.

It was very gentle, complete with cooing over a drone outfitted with boots. It was more a recitation of historical events that led to Obama making his choice than a commentary on Obama's going back on his word, IMO. That's an example of the tact the show takes when it comes to left vs. right issues. I was surprised they didn't go to Dick Cheney footage to underscore this happened before Obama was elected.

I have been enjoying the show a lot but I agree that the Steinem interview was badly handled. She did a great job of redirecting, but it's clear Noah had no idea what she was talking about nor any clue how to approach the interview to find out.

By contrast, I also watched her on The Tavis Smiley Show (PBS) and they got on very well, she was able to say much more (granted, it's a longer interview, but she didn't have to reframe the questions or redirect the flow), and Smiley was able to engage her on a lucid level.

It's not just with Steinem, though, that Noah's weakest area seems to be the interviews. He usually seems to have studied up and at least read some of the interviewee's book, maybe all of it, but I think he doesn't do well unscripted, maybe. He seems nervous and superficial, and his questions are neither challenging the person nor eliciting more info from them-- it's odd. I hope he does get coaching, because he's clearly a quick learner, given how fast he's improved as host in other parts of the show.

It's not just with Steinem, though, that Noah's weakest area seems to be the interviews. He usually seems to have studied up and at least read some of the interviewee's book, maybe all of it, but I think he doesn't do well unscripted, maybe. He seems nervous and superficial, and his questions are neither challenging the person nor eliciting more info from them-- it's odd. I hope he does get coaching, because he's clearly a quick learner, given how fast he's improved as host in other parts of the show.

Yep, he seems so eager to stick with the scripted framework and official questions that he can't roll with it on the fly if the interviewee starts saying something that needs to be heard. He'll get there, but it's hard to watch right now. (And even with Steinem's adjustments last night, you could tell it was heavily edited)

Maybe his appendix was bursting right then? I don't know. I just really hope he gets some guidance there. It's Gloria Steinem, for crap's sake, let her talk! She can handle herself without your prompts!

• Love 1

There's been some fair criticism of the CNBC debate... But they torpedo themselves by complaining about the liberal media when you look at the Democratic debate and the questions are legit.

When one of the CNBC people who questioned the Republican candidates is Rick Santelli, you are loads of stupid in lumping them in with the so-called "liberal media".

Between Jordan being denied access to Saturday's Iowa Republican event and Wednesday's debate and fallout from said debate, the Party of Personal Responsibility™ is in need of a serious timeout, and/or a serious diaper change. I just wish, after all that, Trevor would have showed a clip of President Obama laughing at the GOP candidates, saying that if they couldn't handle questions from CNBC, of all fucking places, how are they going to be able to handle Vladimir Putin or China.

Get well soon, Trevor.

• Love 1

I just wish, after all that, Trevor would have showed a clip of President Obama laughing at the GOP candidates, saying that if they couldn't handle questions from CNBC, of all fucking places, how are they going to be able to handle Vladimir Putin or China.

To be fair, then Trevor would need to show a few clips of Pres. Obama whining and complaining about Fox News over the past 7 years.  Pot meet kettle on that one.