Type keyword(s) to search

• Start Topic

I thought it was a good show, very nice first show.  He addressed in several jokes of taking over for Jon and that difficulty, which I think was a good ice breaker.  He does need to learn to wait/quiet the audience in the beginning, he was trying to talk over their applause/cheering. 

I liked the new correspondent, Ron Jr. too.

Ms Blue Jay, on 29 Sept 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

Trevor (and Roy) are black.  It's not "stuff".  Jon talked about being Jewish all the time.  Trevor is also half white and South African.  They're not objective News Robots without colour or creed, they're humans, and that is going to be a part of the show.

I don't think you understand the point. Also, you quoted me out of context. My post said that the show could have a very interesting future if they chose to capitalize on Trevor and a more global outlook, and that to do so they need to be inclusive ... and *then* I said they need to drop the black stuff, because that isn't inclusive.

And of course Trevor is black. My TV is old, but not that old. I can tell. But you can be black (or anything ethnicity) without constantly talking about it. Which this episode seemed to do a lot, with both Trevor and the bit with the comedian.

As for Jon and his being Jewish, if it helps, I never cared for that, either. But that is besides the point, which was that Trevor, being from South Africa, can bring a different perspective to TDS than Jon did because of who Trevor is. But he won't be successful if he chooses to harp on his differences, vs. being inclusive and helping as many viewers as possible identify with him. This goes for the whole 'Murica point as well. You can make fun of 'Murica once you get viewers on your side. You do that by casting a wide a net as possible. Emphasizing race (or religion) doesn't do that.

Edited by Ottis

Jon Stewart constantly talked about the person he is and "harp(ed) on his differences". I watched countless episodes where he referenced Jewish holidays, Jewish food, New Jersey, and Bruce Springsteen.  How many times did I hear about Bruce Springsteen?  It was his show and he was the host.  Sorry, but I don't expect Trevor to whitewash anything just because he's blacker or less American than what TV audiences are used to.  I really wouldn't want to see that happen or what kind of show that would be.

Your idea of 'being inclusive' seems to be to downplay Trevor's "differences" from what demographics you think The Audience may hold.   I also strongly differ with you on that point.

There are lot of comics out there with widely different backgrounds out there that do not make me feel excluded and are very successful at making me relate.  Seinfeld had a lot of Jewish elements, and I'm not Jewish, yet it's still my favourite show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 21

I just have to announce this even though I'm posting anonymously on the internet:

You know that Club Congress joke where Trevor said everybody has AIDS/aides? One of my best friends was in the picture that flashed on the screen at that moment. She's a congressional staffer, and we were all floored when we saw that because it was so unexpected.

OK, Trevor. Well played. You bribed us with unexpected fame, so we'll keep watching.

• Love 5

I think Noah was very funny and the jokes were on-target.  I even found Jordan Klepper funny and I never did before. I don't like Kevin Hart but that doesn't matter. The MARS correspondent bit was fantastic

All around a really great debut.

• Love 3

I don't think you understand the point. Also, you quoted me out of context. My post said that the show could have a very interesting future if they chose to capitalize on Trevor and a more global outlook, and that to do so they need to be inclusive ... and *then* I said they need to drop the black stuff, because that isn't inclusive.

How does one capitalize on the background of a comedian by suggesting they drop a significant part of that background?  Would you also advocate they drop the 'poor stuff' or the 'immigrant stuff' or any other 'stuff' that isn't bland and whitewashed of any identity markers?  I'm just not sure what your intent here is in both arguing for inclusivity while also suggesting they drop part of an entire identity and then reducing it to 'stuff', with the only reduction of 'stuff' being race.  It's pretty offensive.

The jokes on the first night were pretty damn 'global' and also fairly inclusive.  Jon couldn't have gotten away with the AIDS/aides word play, neither could Larry Wilmore.  Amy Schumer couldn't, nor Margaret Cho.  Trevor being of 'black stuff' (gods, this term is making me cringe, hopefully you'll notice how offensive it is) from an African country that has been ravaged by the AIDS epidemic can make this joke and it can be funny and have completely different connotations than if it came from an American of any racial or gender background.  This is just a reality of comedy.  Larry can speak of issues concerning black Americans in a different way than Jon could while Jon will be able to discuss Jewish American culture very differently than Larry would.  

I'm not sure exactly what sort of global perspective you expect to get, but what we saw last night was a pretty good taste of what we should expect.  

Edited by Human
  • Love 6

I was really impressed. You could tell there was some nervous energy there, but they hit it, got the laughs, talked about issues, and nodded to the past.

I imagine the "We love Jon" stuff will die down pretty quickly. With all the changeovers recently that's been a staple of new host taking over (the only I can't recall was Cordon after Ferguson, but that was such a change up in everything). Trevor's I think had a bit of extra nostalgia to it because the changeover was so quick.

All three segments were America-centric. So aside from Trevor's quips about being a foreigner, I don't think there was a "this is an international show now" feel to it al all.

• Love 2

A second strong episode! I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with a couple of his jokes during that interview. I think I'm just waiting for the Trevor from the old Twitter posts and interview comments to make an appearance. This debut seems too good to be true.

Now I want a Ben Carson mixtape. I haven't heard anyone go after how dull Carson is.

• Love 3

Now I want a Ben Carson mixtape. I haven't heard anyone go after how dull Carson is.

It's weird, he says some truly bat$hit crazy things, and I'm used to just reading the text. Now I know how he gets away with it, his delivery dulls the crazy.

Interviews continue to be a weak spot, but .... well, no one ever claimed Jon was good at them either. Some solid material though. The bit on ISIS was funny, despite being deeply depressing.

Edited by Unusual Suspect
  • Love 1
possibilities, Isiah Whitlock Jr.?

Maybe? (Thanks for checking)

Larry Wilmore has been burning Ben Carson's dullness (and obnoxious viewpoints) pretty regularly on The Nightly Show. I find it remarkable that, in addition to sounding drowsy, Carson seems to be unable to keep his eyes all the way open when he talks. He's a pretty easy target.

• Love 3

Even better the second night. His humour is very very different from Jon's so I imagine it's going to create a bit of an uproar, even a backlash, but I loved it. Even the audience didn't seem to be sure whether or not they should laugh at some of his jokes but he had me laughing at home.

Trevor wasn't quite as jacked up tonight (understandably) so it seemed a little smoother but I still found he talked a little too fast sometimes and with his accent, charming as it is, I had to really pay attention to catch what he was saying. That's ok though. If I miss a few words here and there I'll just ogle and admire the dimples!

• Love 4

The Bastard Executioner ran for 70 minutes last night, meaning it cut into the Daily Show - not sure if it says more about how much I enjoyed Noah on night 1, or how little TBX held my attention, but I left TBX during the last 10 to watch this. Once again I thought he came off as funny, intelligent, and incredibly fun to watch. 

• Love 1

What happened to Chris Christie? Why did he cancel?

He's barely a candidate anymore, so it's not like he's an actual newsmaker.

I guess he's still a target of humor, and still a barely tolerated governor though.

He's barely a candidate anymore, so it's not like he's an actual newsmaker.

I guess he's still a target of humor, and still a barely tolerated governor though.

I don't think he did cancel -- he's scheduled for tonight.

What happened to Chris Christie? Why did he cancel?

Wait, where are you getting that he canceled? He was always supposed to be tonight, and as of last night he was still in (Noah announced it at the end of the night.) I'm not seeing anything saying otherwise.

Oh, a dating site that makes women make the first move. Because asking for a date is sooooo hard. Boo fucking hoo. You know what else is hard? Doing all the fucking laundry. Getting paid 70% of what men get paid. Tell you what, fellas: when we reach universal pay equality and when men do fully 50% of the household labor (including the planning of the household labor), then we'll let you off the hook for asking for dates. In the meantime, do some fucking work for all your privilege. Which includes doing the work on improving your asking-out game. Because sending an unsolicited dick pic? Lousy game.

Disclaimer: women who like asking men out? You do you. I support you.

• Love 16

Oh, a dating site that makes women make the first move. Because asking for a date is sooooo hard. Boo fucking hoo. You know what else is hard? Doing all the fucking laundry. Getting paid 70% of what men get paid. Tell you what, fellas: when we reach universal pay equality and when men do fully 50% of the household labor (including the planning of the household labor), then we'll let you off the hook for asking for dates. In the meantime, do some fucking work for all your privilege. Which includes doing the work on improving your asking-out game. Because sending an unsolicited dick pic? Lousy game.

Disclaimer: women who like asking men out? You do you. I support you.

In reading about Bumble the primary impetus for it's creation seemed to be avoiding the avalanche of unsolicited dick pics that is Tinder, so I was a bit surprised that that angle didn't come up in the interview.  But I'm not putting that on Trevor, as Whitney's talking points clearly stepped away from that unattractive reality.

• Love 3

I'm 100% pro online dating but I find it hard to believe that we're still in a society where women "aren't allowed" to ask men out. 

In reading about Bumble the primary impetus for it's creation seemed to be avoiding the avalanche of unsolicited dick pics that is Tinder, so I was a bit surprised that that angle didn't come up in the interview.

That makes more sense then. That's not the way the interview went though. Why not just say that then?

• Love 2

I'm 100% pro online dating but I find it hard to believe that we're still in a society where women "aren't allowed" to ask men out. 

I recently read Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari and (although my memory is like a sieve) I'm pretty sure there is actually a statistic in there about the higher success rate for couples where the woman made the first move (online).  On the other hand, in other countries (specifically, in the case of the book, Japan) there's still a huge social stigma against women taking the lead (while there's also a growing cultural trend to "herbivore" men who will NEVER take the first step for fear of rejection but still look unfavourably on "forward" women -- the book is quite interesting).

Tangential existential query: If dick pics are avalanchey (not a word, I know, work with me here), why is it so uncommon for men to drop trou in movies?

I think my head might explode if I think too strenuously on that.

After 2 shows so far so good. Although I did skip the dating app interview. Smart not to change the set up of the show to begin with.  Tried Colbert's new show for a week but I don't care for the late night talk shows and it just seems more of the same. I never missed a Colbert report but don't like the new show.

• Love 2

After 2 shows so far so good. Although I did skip the dating app interview. Smart not to change the set up of the show to begin with.  Tried Colbert's new show for a week but I don't care for the late night talk shows and it just seems more of the same. I never missed a Colbert report but don't like the new show.

It's deceptive.  Colbert isn't doing the same constantly pointed satire, but he's had tons of guests and serious discussion that none of the other nighttime talk shows would touch with a ten foot pole. If it's more of the same, it's more of Dick Cavett (three decades off the air) than Fallon or Kimmel. 

Like any of these shows it does matter what night you tune in on though. He's gonna have a stupid boneheaded celeb occasionally and can't have the Secretary General of the UN or Tim Cook or the First Lady or the sitting Vice-President every day.

• Love 5

Colbert is essentially doing The Colbert Report on CBS, married to the regular talk show format, of course. All his bits seem to be stuff he'd do on The Colbert Report (and that Letterman or any other late-night host would never do).

• Love 2

I thought for sure that Bumble thing was going to be presented as a way for women to be more in control of their own on line dating experience because so often it's creeperville for women more than men.  But I sure didn't see it being presented as something that takes the pressure off those so shy men that just don't think they can get a date.

Oh boy. 

I did laugh that Noah was like, "Yeah I'm not gonna be doing that". 

Another good episode. I'm all in at this point.

• Love 2

It's deceptive.  Colbert isn't doing the same constantly pointed satire, but he's had tons of guests and serious discussion that none of the other nighttime talk shows would touch with a ten foot pole. If it's more of the same, it's more of Dick Cavett (three decades off the air) than Fallon or Kimmel. 

Like any of these shows it does matter what night you tune in on though. He's gonna have a stupid boneheaded celeb occasionally and can't have the Secretary General of the UN or Tim Cook or the First Lady or the sitting Vice-President every day.

Agreed.  Also, IMO, Colbert's first few Late Shows were fairly mediocre, but the quality really picked up by the second week.

I'm glad to have TDS back though, and Noah seems promising so far.

Definitely another good episode.  I didn't experience as many laugh out loud moments as I did in the first, but I can see where and how Trevor might start experimenting and forming the show in his own image.  I think it was a really good idea for him to keep to the Jon Stewart script to start because it doesn't alienate so much of the audience right away.  Slow change can good good change.  

The interview was better though partly that's because the guest didn't force the host to open a gift in front of people.  Trevor still isn't great with asking questions, so it's a good thing that this week is full of mostly 'soft' guests.  I continue to have hopes that practice will make improvement.  

I've really enjoyed his take the last few days. He's obviously trying to find his groove still but he's doing well. Love the dimples!

I feel like most comedians aren't great interviewers - I don't watch a lot of late night TV, but from what I've seen, it's always very stilted and awkward. Trevor is doing an okay job so far so hopefully he can still improve. 

• Love 1

I don't quite understand the app, but from the way she keep pumping the girl power thing up, it seems like the power (or empowerment) is from the rules of the app being that women make the first move. So, because the men go in know the women move first and the women go in knowing they have to move first, it makes it seem less like you're stepping outside of social norms and more like you're just following the rules of the app.

I'm excited to see how he fares against/with Rachel. Let's see how much of what he does is scripted.

• Love 1

Seth (Fatass) Rogan and Aaron (Smarmy Delusional Shitwipe) Sorkin can both go fuck themselves up their assholes with a white hot poker.

Sooooo, you're a fan? ;)

I wonder why they have the promotion of that film, two days in a row?

• Love 1

This episode was sort of a bomb.  Something about it didn't work, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.  I kept thinking that I'd already seen that exact same correspondent sketch with Jessica Williams and Jordan Klepper.  Of course I think #BlackLivesMatter warrants plenty of coverage and commentary, but maybe not the exact same sketch.  It was just weird.  

Other than that, none of the jokes seemed to land.  I started glancing at the clock and wishing the interview would hurry up and get there.  I mean, ugh.  I hardly ever care for the interviews but when it involves Chris Christie, one of the most worthless horrible men in the world, then there's something really wrong.  

I'm also really ticked he didn't have anything on the Planned Parenthood hearings.  Women's issues ought to play a part in the show.  Is there still a women's issues correspondent?

Edited by Human

Agreed.  This was the first show that didn't quite work for me.

The timing seemed to be a bit off.  Most of the jokes didn't seem to land.  Also was disappointed in no Planned Parenthood coverage.  Though Larry did address it on his show.

I listened to most of the Chris Christie interview.  But to me, Trevor was just too "buddy buddy" with him.  Now I'm not saying he should be rude to him of course, but he seemed to be almost giddy sitting down and talking with him.  And they didn't seem to get too substantive either.

To be fair, there were times when Jon's show when not everything worked either.  But this was the first Trevor show that kinda had me shaking my head a bit.

• Love 2