Type keyword(s) to search

The Correspondents: Roy and Desi, Ronny and Michael, Dulcé and Jaboukie, OH MY!

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, Lord Donia said:

Short piece on Roy and the special in Salon.

I missed the first airing, but it looks like it's going to be rerun this Saturday just after midnight. (It's also available on demand.)

From the Salon article: "As Wood waited in the back of the club and thought about a new opening, his thoughts were interrupted by a whoosh and roar. A woman’s hair fell into a candle and caught on fire." I saw that exact same thing happen once in a comedy club in San Francisco. Next time I went there, the real candles had been replaced by those "flameless" votives. Drunk people & open flames don't mix!

• Love 1

Gina is great. I think she'll be a fine addition to the team. She's also in her 40s, so she's a bit older/more experienced than a some of the other correspondents.

NEW YORK, March 16, 2017 - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah adds Gina Yashere as the latest contributor to join "The Best F#@ing News Team." She was tapped by Executive Producer, Writer and Host, Trevor Noah to make her first appearance on the show tonight, Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:00 p.m. ET/PT with an in-studio desk piece.

Yashere (@ginayashere) was born & raised in London UK, of Nigerian parents, and previously worked as an elevator engineer for Otis. Gina has been a stand-up comedian and television star in the UK for several years now, appearing on iconic British TV shows such as Live At The Apollo and Mock The Week, as well as creating & performing popular comedic characters onThe Lenny Henry Show.

• Love 1

Here's some more info about Jordan Klepper's new show, which was mentioned in the episode thread earlier today. The stuff about his "Daily Show persona" and "singularly correct world view" makes me think they're gonna try and make this into the new "Colbert Report." Yeah, good luck with that.

NEW YORK, April 4, 2017 — Jordan Klepper will be bringing his Daily Show persona to 11:30 p.m. with a new late night talk show premiering this fall, it was announced today by Kent Alterman, President, Comedy Central. The Daily Show companion will air Monday-Thursday at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT, beginning this fall.

“Jordan’s talent has become so increasingly obvious it would take a real fool to not offer him this opportunity,” said Alterman.

“The choice to entrust me with the 11:30 p.m. timeslot is both incredibly humbling and deeply disturbing,” said Klepper. “Without a doubt, it has utterly destroyed my confidence in Comedy Central’s decision making acumen. Dear God, now I have to work with these fools.”

Klepper was hired by Jon Stewart to join The Daily Show in 2014 and continued on to become the senior correspondent under Trevor Noah where he has defined himself with both his studio work and segments in the field, ranging from his multi-part series exploring the reality of being a “Good Guy with a Gun” to his field pieces at Trump rallies which have garnered millions of views.

His new series, which is in the beginning stages of development and will be produced by Klepper, Trevor Noah and Stuart Miller (The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, Ferrell Takes the Field), will look to embrace and define the chaos of our country by channeling Klepper’s steadfast attitude that institutions are to be trusted less than the lies of the mainstream media. He’ll surround himself with a hand-picked team of contributors contractually obligated to reinforce his singularly correct world view. Adds Klepper, “Finally, there’s a show on TV that’s not didactic and is NOT GOING TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO. Watch – 11:30’s in the fall on Comedy Central. Do it.”

• Love 2
18 hours ago, trow125 said:

Here's some more info about Jordan Klepper's new show, which was mentioned in the episode thread earlier today. The stuff about his "Daily Show persona" and "singularly correct world view" makes me think they're gonna try and make this into the new "Colbert Report." Yeah, good luck with that.

Yeah kind of hoping that's just PR blathering. I like Jordan, but I can't see a show based on his "Daily Show persona" unless it's loosely based and is more about an approach and POV than presentation. That doesn't mean he can't have a successful show just like other Daily Show alumni whose work on the show wouldn't necessarily expand to a whole show like Steve Carrell or Jason Jones. And I'm also hoping that Comedy Central execs aren't trying to replicate Colbert since they didn't like Nightly thinking they can just copy the formula and create the same cultural phenomenon. I can't think of any better way to guarantee failure.

• Love 5

Ugh.  I'm sure Klepper is a delightful man but I stopped watching The Daily Show in part because I got sick of his mugging on practically every episode.   Also I am bitterly disappointed that once again, the white guy gets ahead on this network.  Thank goodness TBS saw the potential in Samantha Bee.

• Love 3

I wish Jordan the best.  But I dunno, he is either hit or miss for me.  And when he hosted The Daily Show that one time, he really looked wooden/stiff/out of sorts.  Maybe he was just really nervous that night.  I guess we'll find out if he's up to the job soon enough.

Still miss Larry though....sigh.

• Love 6

So I'll definitely check out Jordan's show.  The "Best of" shown last week were definitely some of Jordan's highlights and certainly appear to indicate he'll stick with the liberal bent.  

That said, yeah, another white male.  And also still very upset about Larry.

• Love 1

I wish Jordan the best.  But I dunno, he is either hit or miss for me. 

I feel the same way about Jordan.   Honestly I think a lot of his bits on TDS are pretty dumb, but when he does a good one, it's really good, and his "best of" reel on Thurs reminded me of his better moments.  And honestly, I felt the same way about Sam Bee when she was on TDS.  Absolutely loved some of her segments and found many of her segments ranged from meh to cringe worthy.  But she's my favorite late night TV host now, and although I found John Oliver more consistently funny when he was on TDS, I would not have predicted that his HBO show would be as awesome as it's turned out to be.  So, I'll withhold judgement on Jordan until I see the actual show.

I really wish he was in a different time slot than right after TDS though.  That slot belongs to Larry Wilmore goddammit, and it makes it difficult for me to wish anyone else success in that slot.  I try not to hold that against Jordan, but Lar-ry, Lar-ry, Lar-ry!

• Love 6

Just a reminder - discussing Hasan doing the WHPC dinner is fine. Using that as an opportunity to air personal politics? Is not fine.

Posts will be removed that are off topic, and repeated violations may result in further sanctions. Thank you.

22 hours ago, AmandaPanda said:

Update: Hasan's Netflix special is on Netflix now and it is hilarious.

It absolutely is! I was ???????????????? through most of it, and also being Indian, could SO RELATE to EVERYTHING he said!

But the phrase "Log Kya Kayenge" does not mean "What will people think," but "What will people say." And I got so much of that growing up!

Loved how he peppered his comedy with Hindi! And that he explained what he said to the non-Indians!?

I did wonder if his wife was White or not and to discover his wife is Hindu was a delight, because for me, it means that we all (Muslims and Hindus) don't hate and revile each other. Though I did wonder if his mom was Hindu because Seema isn't a Muslim name.

I'm TOTALLY watching it again!

• Love 4
(edited)

Ronny Chieng's new Australian comedy series, International Student, starts on our national broadcaster on 7 June. A bunch of different comedy pilots were aired last year and put to a public vote. Ronny's and I think one other were picked up for series. I watched the pilot, and enjoyed it. Here is a trailer - not sure whether it is geoblocked.

Just googled some more and found out it will air in the US on Comedy Central (that link includes some pretty funny comments about dumbing down the show for American audiences). Good for Ronny!

And more googling has led to this 2016 piece from The Guardian about the new series and about Ronny's experiences on TDS.

Edited by purist
  • Love 2
On 5/24/2017 at 5:42 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Though I did wonder if his mom was Hindu because Seema isn't a Muslim name.

She's Muslim.  The episode after the election, Hasan got very emotional relating the story of his mom - who was in India visiting her mother - calling him after Trump was elected to ask if she was going to be able to get back into the country in February (because of what he'd said during the campaign about Muslims).  And they wound up changing her ticket to get her home before Inauguration.

I just watched his special last night, and it was wonderful.  I loved his response to the high school classmate's request for tickets to his NY show, when he threw her family's "We're going to be taking a lot of pictures" thing back at her.  That was perfect.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know she's no longer a correspondent, but Jessica Williams will be on Late Show with Stephen Colbert this TUESDAY!!!

Ooh, thanks for posting this! I'll be sure to watch and it'll be good to hear what she's been up to.

New info released today about Jordan's new show including a title The Opposition with Jordan Klepper and a premiere date September 25. I assume it will get it's own forum at some point soon as well.

http://deadline.com/2017/07/jordan-klepper-the-opposition-september-25-debut-tca-1202135401/

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/jordan-klepper-daily-show-tca-1202506132/

Unfortunately it really does seem that Comedy Central is pushing for The Colbert Report Reduxe rather than building something new based on his Daily Show work.

Speaking at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour Tuesday in Beverly Hills, Jordan Klepper, who will host Comedy Central’s upcoming “The Opposition With Jordan Klepper,” described the show as a vehicle built around a faux alt-right host, taking cues from outlets such as Infowars, Breitbart News, and The Blaze. ... That character, he said, will be “a heightened version of myself—a character, somebody who is a know-nothing provocateur who fights for the forgotten man. I may at times also forget that man. But I will remember him and try to sell him supplements that are made in China.”

I'll reserve judgement until I see the finished product and even then I'll wait until it has a chance to settle in, but this really feels like something driven by executives. Bashing Trump is getting ratings, Colbert was huge, alt-right and "fake news" is big right now like Fox News was then, let's do an updated remake!

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh. Klepper already comes across smug and smarmy. Amplifying that and trying to imitate Colbert doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all. They might surprise me, but I wish they weren't doing this.

Jessica Williams was on Fresh Air with Terry Gross today. She talked about her time at TDS, among other things. Audio of the interview can be found at npr.org on their "Fresh Air" page.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
On 11/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Michelle Wolf has a stand up special on HBO. It premieres on December 2.

It’s ok.  Too much of the usual penis and boob jokes for my taste (especially these days) as well as bathroom humor.  But some tidbits of good joke/commentary mixed in.  I vastly prefer her bits on TDS. 

Michelle Wolf gets her own late night show on Netflix.

"The 32-year-old rising star, whose show does not yet have a name, is expected to make fun of everything and everybody, with no preaching or political agenda — unless, of course, it’s funny. “You can expect the types of jokes my former bosses would tell me we couldn’t do on TV,” she joked in a statement."

• Love 2

Hasan also gets his own weekly Netflix show!

"Netflix has ordered 32 episodes of the new show, which will launch later this year. Minhaj will stay with The Daily Show until this summer."

Sorry to lose him from TDS, but he's rarely on now anyway.

• Love 1

Hasan was the last remaining person left over from when Jon was the host. Unless you count Lewis, who's been with the show since year one when Craig Kilborn was hosting.

Wonder who between Desi, Ronny and Roy is now the top correspondent by seniority?

2 hours ago, 2727 said:

Hasan also gets his own weekly Netflix show!

"Netflix has ordered 32 episodes of the new show, which will launch later this year. Minhaj will stay with The Daily Show until this summer."

Sorry to lose him from TDS, but he's rarely on now anyway.

That article states that Michelle was a "vet" of this show. Really? I would think Hasan is the vet who's leaving, Michelle appeared when Trevor took over, no?

22 minutes ago, ChelseaNH said:

1.  I don't see where the article refers to Wolf as a vet.

2.  There's only one vet?

That is really weird. I know I read a Variety article that stated that she was the vet, but didn't mention she was going to the next Correspondent's dinner, unless it was updated? Or I'm reading too much and mixing up different articles in my head! Sorry!

On 2/23/2018 at 8:20 PM, wknt3 said:

Is this the first time the WHCD has had a woman as the featured entertainer?  I can't recall.  I love Michelle Wolf and can't wait to watch.

• Love 1
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Is this the first time the WHCD has had a woman as the featured entertainer?  I can't recall.  I love Michelle Wolf and can't wait to watch.

No. Paula Poundstone was the forst women in 1992. Wanda Sykes hosted in 2009 and Cecily Stong in 2015. Im excited for Michelle her standup special was very funny. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 4

Hasan is writing for an issue of the Ms. Marvel comic book.

The 50th issue of MS. MARVEL just got even bigger! In addition to its already stellar team of creators, comedian Hasan Minhaj will be joining the team as a writer. The Peabody Award-winner and “The Daily Show” correspondent will be writing part of Kamala Khan’s big sleepover-Jersey City battle story in MS. MARVEL #31.

The multi-talented Minhaj has been recognized as one of the most influential Muslim Americans in media and has brought his perspective to a multitude of platforms. He was the featured speaker at the 2017 White House Correspondents Dinner and his one-man show “Homecoming King” is currently streaming on Netflix. Minhaj will also appear in the upcoming comedy “The Spy Who Dumped Me.”

Minhaj joins writers G. Willow Wilson, Saladin Ahmed, and Rainbow Rowell to propel Kamala Khan into a slumber party — and Super Hero fight — to remember! The MS. MARVEL #31 writing team will be joined by an equally excellent squad of artists: Nico Leon, Bob Quinn, Gustavo Duarte, and Elmo Bondoc.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/peabody-winner-hasan-minhaj-joins-the-creative-team-for-ms-marvel-31-the-fiftieth-issue/

https://www.facebook.com/hasanminhaj/posts/10155504277771272

• Love 1

Roy has some new gigs that will likely mean a lot less of him on TDS. Happy for his success but he's become my favorite correspondent and I'll miss him.

"The cable network has signed a first-look deal with Wood to develop new projects for television and digital platforms. In addition, Wood will star in a third stand-up special and a digital series for Comedy Central.

Comedy Central will begin production in May on Jefferson County Probation in Wood's hometown of Birmingham, Alabama. ... the show will star Wood as a probation officer who bends the rules to help the clients he monitors, to the chagrin of his partner and everyone else in his life."

• Love 3