Type keyword(s) to search

The Correspondents: Roy and Desi, Ronny and Michael, Dulcé and Jaboukie, OH MY!

• Start Topic

New correspondents

NEW YORK, September 2, 2015 – “The Best F*ing News Team Ever!” just got bigger and f*ing better. “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” announced today that Ronny Chieng, Desi Lydic and Roy Wood Jr. will be the newest correspondents to join the team under new host Trevor Noah.

Ronny Chieng! He's pretty well known in Australia, having lived and studied here for the past decade or so. He's performed a lot of stand-up and been on TV quite often. He has a very interesting background (thanks, Wikipedia): 'Chieng is of Chinese descent. He was born in Johor Bahru, Malaysia and was raised in Singapore and New Hampshire, US.' His style of comedy is a bit confronting - his on-stage persona is bad-tempered and impatient - but I like him a lot.

Edited by purist

I've liked Lydic in all that I've seen her in (even Stan Helsing), so I'm happily surprised to see her here. Let's hope she doesn't succumb to the army of pitchfork-waving "she's only there because she's hot, booo" critics that are already complaining online.

Are all of the correspondents also staff writers? I know Wyatt Cenac was until his last year on TDS, where he was only a correspondent. But do Jessica, Hasan, et. al write anything besides their own segments? Do they write their own segments?

Edited by topanga

Not sure about the usual correspondents, but I do remember reading that Lewis Black hasn't written his own segments for the show in years.  He's said that the show's writers do a great job writing in his "voice" so he usually just goes with whatever they give him.

• Love 1

Are all of the correspondents also staff writers? I know Wyatt Cenac was until his last year on TDS, where he was only a correspondent. But do Jessica, Hasan, et. al write anything besides their own segments? Do they write their own segments?

I know you asked over a month ago (I'm nothing if not timely :) ), but none of the current corespondents are also writers on the show, and I don't believe that they write their segments (though, they may come up with the ideas).  To your point, I do believe Wyatt Cenac was the last correspondent to also be a staff writer.

• Love 1

This has nothing to do with anything, but Jessica Williams has beautiful skin. I know she wears makeup on the show, but I can still tell when a person has blemishes or acne. And she has neither, the lucky girl.

• Love 1

I'd be super interested in Jessica's sitcom -- the article said she'd be exec-producing, but I'd also hope she'd write and star in it. The downside is that she's by far my favorite correspondent and I'd miss her dreadfully on TDS.

http://press.cc.com/press-release/2016/04/04/press-the-daily-show-taps-michelle-wolf-as-newest-contributor-and-writer

“THE DAILY SHOW WITH TREVOR NOAH” TAPS COMEDIAN MICHELLE WOLF AS NEWEST CONTRIBUTOR AND WRITER ON COMEDY CENTRAL’S® LATE NIGHT FRANCHISE

NEW YORK, April 4, 2016 – “The Daily Show with Trevor Noah” adds Michelle Wolf as an on-air contributor and writer, it was announced today by Trevor Noah, Executive Producer, Writer and Host of the program. Wolf is the latest contributor to join “The Daily Show’s” “The Best F#@ing News Team.”

Wolf (@michelleisawolf) is a New York-based writer and stand-up comedian who most recently worked as a writing supervisor on “Late Night with Seth Meyers,” where she also made her late-night television debut as a comic in July 2014. Wolf appeared regularly on “Late Night” in various bits and as the popular reoccurring character she created, “Grown-Up Annie.” She has also made numerous appearances on Comedy Central’s “@midnight.” Additionally, Wolf created and starred in two Comedy Central digital series, “Used People” and “Now Hiring.” She was named to Vulture’s list of “50 Comedians You Should Know in 2015; Time Out New York listed her as one of “The Top 10 Funniest Women in NYC;” Complex Magazine put Wolf on their list of “50 Funniest Comedians on Twitter;” and she was selected as one of the “New Faces of Comedy” for the 2014 Just For Laughs Festival in Montreal.

Wolf headlines comedy clubs and colleges all over the United States. She has performed at the Riot LA Comedy Festival and as part of the San Francisco Sketchfest Dozen. This past summer Wolf continued the festival circuit with performances at Moontower, Bonnaroo and the Dublin Comedy Festival.

She's a very familiar face to Seth's audience. 

On 4/26/2016 at 11:19 PM, saoirse said:

I have the worst crush on Hasan, and he's young enough to be my...much younger brother. Not quite my kid, thank god...

Yes, Hasan adorable. If you're into podcasts, listen to this hilarious interview with him on Sklarbro Country

Oh, and were the heck is Jessica? I hope her hiatus is self-imposed. Her segments are too funny and too smart for her to be marginalized.

• Love 1

Whoa. Way to put it out there, Hasan.

The audience was already doing a halfhearted, bored clap when he was introduced but it went downhill from there.

Hell yeah, I'd contribute to a Kickstarter fund to replace NRA lobbyist funds!

The only downside is that if Hasan's fame/popularity continue to rise he may leave TDS.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Fable said:

Hardy Clap!   I'm sure that took guts!  

It'll make his career in some ways, and hurt it in others. I could see a lot of Republicans subtly making sure he never works comedy clubs in their home districts, for example. But now he's got a profile beyond a version of The Daily Show that a lot less people watch than it's heyday, and in the long-term that's going to do his career good.

That was fantastic. He didn't even care if he was funny anymore by the end of it, which is completely appropriate given the subject matter. Brilliant. He made so many points that needed making, in a way that was very concrete (your body will betray you, 12% approval, the cost of congress is $4million/what is the cost of thousands of lives?).

I hate to say it, but maybe he should leave TDS. Maybe, like Samantha Bee, he could do better work in a less limiting environment. It seems to me that there may be some blandification orders coming from the network, because it's clear that the people on staff are capable of being so much more powerful than they are shown to be over there.

• Love 1
On 6/18/2016 at 11:51 AM, possibilities said:

That was fantastic. He didn't even care if he was funny anymore by the end of it, which is completely appropriate given the subject matter.

To "the room" very little of it was funny. But of course that's not the point.

Back when Larry Wilmore did this in a smaller form, he got criticized for "not reading the room", which was a BS way to try and throw him under the bus for trying to make people think. 

Here. from the moment of the opening salvo at Kasich, he set up a set that had nothing to do with making the people there laugh. Which is great, actually. It started with some nervous unsure laughter, but eventually that room went dead silent. He DID read the room, but... didn't care. Making them laugh wasn't his agenda. Not that any of the Republicans there are going to rethink their positions because of that. The point he was making was to the home audience. Not that CSPAN normally HAS a home audience, but he's not an idiot. He knew the Internet would (if he was lucky) pick up the performance and run with it.

• Love 1

I just read that Jessica Williams' last episode will be this Thursday, so she can go do her pilot! At least she has something lined up for us to look forward to. 

• Love 1

Article about Ronny on TDS and his new pilot for ABC Australia.

"Asked about what he looked to for inspiration, he rattles off a list of some of the best shows on television: Louie (because of the autobiographical element), Community (set at a university – and it’s “very silly”), Scrubs (that absurdist tone), Broad City (its pace and its humour). “I tried to make the best television I could – cool television without ego,” he says."

I have a SiriusXM account and got an email a few minutes ago telling me that they're giving away 80 pairs of tickets to see Lewis Black at the Barrow Street theater on 11.07 & 11.08.2016.  It's a 'first click first served" thing and it starts tonight at 9pm.

There are 80 pairs* of complimentary tickets for this event and attendees will be chosen based on SPEED OF RESPONSE. This special offer extends only to select listeners receiving this email. Listeners may submit their request starting at 9 pm ET, October 28, until all available tickets have been allocated. Requests cannot be submitted before that time. TRANSPORTATION IS NOT INCLUDED. All winners and guests must be at least 18 years of age to attend this event.

On 4/25/2016 at 11:19 PM, saoirse said:

I have the worst crush on Hasan, and he's young enough to be my...much younger brother. Not quite my kid, thank god...

After seeing him on Wednesday's show, I can't deny any longer that I do too. Luckily, I embrace my cougar ways.

• Love 3

I remember Hassan being worried if his mother was going to be able to come back to the US after visiting his grandmother.  This immigration order Trump signed included people who were legal residents with green cards.  I don't know what country his mother was visiting, although in Wikipedia is states his parents were from India, not one of the countries on the "banned" list.  Even so,  I imagine he's got to be really worried now.  

• Love 1

@ALenore I found this interview.

So on November 10, I did that piece from the desk. The following night, we got her a ticket back pre-inauguration, so she's back in the country. And it's exactly because of stuff like that. She was visiting my grandmother and she was supposed to stay through February, and we're like, “We should probably get you back.” 

It sucks she had to cut short the time with her mother. And now she may not be able to visit again.

• Sad 1
  • Love 2

I thought Roy's stand-up special was good. His infant son is shown briefly at the beginning and IS ADORABLE.

The venue seemed kind of small, but maybe that was Roy's preference. You'd think he could fill at least a 1K seater these days.

Short piece on Roy and the special in Salon.

Edited by Lord Donia