Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I liked that Stephen was able to have a substantive debate with Breyer. I'm on Stephen's side for this for 2 reasons.  First, oral argument is already open to the public and audio recordings are released.  Second, many lower courts already allow video recording and they haven't turned into circuses.  

• Love 2
Also I found it interesting that Breyer was saying the oral arguments aren't even close to the most significant part of the process, that they base their decisions mostly on other things. I know many other arguments are made in writing, but I wonder if that's what he was implying, or if the Big 9 rely on their own legal thinking, research, and analysis, or what.

In my experience (not before SCOTUS, but other Courts of Appeal), judges usually have their minds made up before oral argument based on reading the briefs and their own research/knowledge of prior cases.  The questions are usually to clear up some particular issue and/or are used to try and convince another judge to see things their way, like some 'what if' type question another judge posed in their discussion sessions.

The Breyer intro was so Report-y that it could have been called "Better Know a Justice."

Yes, I felt the same. It was a nice flashback to the Report style humor, especially the line about people identifying Breyer as Mr. Burns. The more of that kind of humor we get the more likely I am to keep watching. Also, hoping that they continue to have non celebrity, non movie stars interview guests. I'm just not interested in pop culture, even if Colbert is more likely to extract an interesting nugget than any other late night host.

Sorry, just because Stephen Breyer is a Supreme Court Justice I'm not buying that there is never an uncivil word said among the judges behind closed doors. Especially as even their published opinions can be prickly, especially Scalia's.

I actually thought the interview was kind of boring, and was wishing that Stephen would ask about some of the court's controversial decisions, such as Citizens United or the recent gay marriage case. But now that I think about it, I'm betting it was a condition of Breyer coming on that no cases were discussed.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

"Guests of The Late Show stay. . . somewhere, I assume."  Hee.

This is obviously a minority opinion, since they all do it now, but I'm tired of every talk show ending every night with a musical number.  Here I go being really old, but it was exciting when Johnny Carson had a musical guest.

Monologue, in-house funny segment, guest, guest, possible third guest.  When the last guest was a comedian doing his standup or a musician performing, it was a notable event, and, mmm, way cool. 

I guess it might fall under "booking considerations," currently.

Edited by candall
  • Love 1

This is obviously a minority opinion, since they all do it now, but I'm tired of every talk show ending every night with a musical number. 

I agree. I had stopped watching late night talk shows years again, and I'm back now just for Stephen. And after 7 nights I'm liking the show but tried of the same exact formula every night. What would be wrong with having a musical guest second or even first. And do we need a musical act every night? (Well, if it's someone on the level of Paul Simon I'm fine with that).

The Lizard Man segment was very Colbert Report-ish, and I was laughing at loud at the bit about the rental cars. Because Stephen stayed in character for all those years, I don't think he got enough recognition for his comedic skills. He's really a great comedian. His timing is always perfect.

• Love 1

I don't think he got enough recognition for his comedic skills. He's really a great comedian. His timing is always perfect.

After I watched the singing/dancing youtube video (linked on the previous page,) there were various other Colbert clips and I watched him on Whose Line Is It Anyway?  He was not only as adroit as the others but in fact, SC and Wayne Brady seemed to be the two "anchors" tasked with the most difficult improvs.

After watching two shows in a row last night (Monday's and Tuesday's), and being thoroughly entertained by both of them, I'm beginning to realize that Colbert may just be the best talk show host in history. I expected him to do well, which is why I didn't mourn the end of The Colbert Report--I knew he'd be bringing his genius to whatever format he filled. But I didn't expect he'd be able to build a show in which there was literally not a dull moment.

• Love 10

I agree. each night I say "well I'll only watch the first interview" and I end up watching the whole thing. and then James Corden comes on and sings with Stevie Wonder! CBS must be so happy right now. Also, Stephens interview with Tim Cook was terrific. Serious and funny, and Tim Cook really does seem like a super nice guy.

• Love 4

One complaint I have is with the audience -- I hate that they applaud every punch line. Stop it!

I would attribute that to "The Friendly Confines of The Ed".  As much as I love Dave not every punch landed yet judging the audience reaction you'd had thought each joke was a knockout.  Maybe the audience is trying to stay warm?  (Doesn't anyone know if Stephen is keeping the room temperature on "Arctic" like his predecessor?) 

Edited by kib
  • Love 1

I think I read Stephen is keeping the theatre a few degrees warmer.

The thunderous cheers probably means the show has a really good warm up comedian. I've been to a few show recordings in college, some really build up the audience. First they get you in a good mood with jokes, then they start telling you how much some really big applause will mean to the cast/host/crew who work so hard to make a good show.

I think I read Stephen is keeping the theatre a few degrees warmer.

Yes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/10/arts/television/stephen-colberts-shiny-new-home-on-broadway-reflects-its-past.html

Mr. Colbert also had CBS enlarge the seats for the audience, and the theater now accommodates 370, compared with 461 for Mr. Letterman. At a news media event in Los Angeles last month, Mr. Colbert described his new set as “a very intimate space now.” Mr. Letterman kept the building at a famously cold temperature, around 61 degrees; Mr. Colbert will heat things up a bit, to 65.

One complaint I have is with the audience -- I hate that they applaud every punch line. Stop it!

When I saw Dave's show, the way they warmed you up and prepped us made it almost impossible not to do that. Plus if there was a lot of peer pressure to applaud. We were told to laugh as much as possible and not clap much. But some people took that to mean react as much as possible, which became clap at everything.

When we walked out, we turned to each other and commented on fun the show was but how unnatural the whole thing felt.

Colbert needs to keep the Hunger Games gag as long as he can.  It pretty much sums up what I think about the process.

The Hunger Games works better for the whole GOP circus than Game of Thrones.  Then again, some GOT moments would work very well with how the GOP sideshow is shaping out.  Think Trump as Stannis and Walker as Renly and the evil smoke baby assassin or Jeb Bush as Joffrey and George W. as Cersei weeping over his body.  Rubio or Kasich are more Littlefinger types. 

• Love 1

Carol!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And she is rockin' those gams. 

And Kevin Spacey's Jimmy Stuart is frighteningly good.

Indeed. For all his serious work, sometimes we forget what a good mimic Spacey can be.

Oh, for the record, it's not spelled like the Scottish Kings, it's like Jon's name.

• Love 2

I actually teared up as Kevin read that poem. It was so sweet and actually sounded like something an old-timer would compose.

Carol Burnett is fantastic. Not only was she funny, but she still is. She's still quick-witted, and that's nice to see.

I enjoyed Stephen's comedy segments, esp the spider ad.

I just realized it's pretty amazing that Stephen opens the show with all that dancing and then speaks without being out of breath.

Oh, and is it my TV or is the show having problems with their sound? Some of the guests were hard for me to hear, but Stephen was always loud enough.

• Love 2

Colbert needs to keep the Hunger Games gag as long as he can.  It pretty much sums up what I think about the process.

Agree. The truly brilliant thing about the bit was not just that Colbert's performance was right on--it was that the whole conception, that this is what we've become, was scarily right on.

The bit wouldn't have quite fit with Colbert's "persona" on The Colbert Report. Which is why this show is a godsend. It allows Colbert to do more with his talents in the service of social commentary than even The Colbert Report did.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 1

Of course the moment I decide to put Colbert on full time on DVR I accidentally set it to Kimmel instead so will need to watch it online. 

For all his serious work, sometimes we forget what a good mimic Spacey can be.

Look up his Wheel of Impressions on Fallon or the Star Wars sketches he did when he hosted SNL years ago.  His Carson and Walken impressions are so good, it's scary.

• Love 2

Echoing all the love for the Hunger Games/Flickerman segment. Absolutely brilliant, especially the face of the 'dead tribute' (in this case, Rick Perry) projected on the ceiling. I hope Stephen continues with this segment until that absurd collection of nominees is whittled down to just one or two.

Carol Burnett and Kevin Spacey were wonderful together - and separately.

• Love 4

I think it was in earlier years of Letterman that Spacey would always do a number of impressions in each visit.  There were one or two (can't remember which) that were just stunning.  I love Jimmy Stewart, and I could have closed my eyes and believed he was there, folksy poem and all. 

• Love 3

How wonderful to see Carol Burnett looking so well and sharp as ever. I watch the reruns of her variety show at 11 on MeTV and that show is as funny now as it was 40 years ago. Spacey's Jimmy Stewart impression was priceless.

• Love 2

Oh, and is it my TV or is the show having problems with their sound? Some of the guests were hard for me to hear, but Stephen was always loud enough.

I don't think it's you.  That was a terrible mix on the Willie Nelson performance.

Give it some time. I can tell you first hand it takes awhile to dial stuff in. Even if the sound guys are using a audio console and gear they're familiar with, things can be slightly different or very different.  Keep in mind the room itself has been substantially altered too.

Seeing Carol Burnett standing there, so comfortable taking questions from the audience again after all these years, brought back memories of her show that suddenly seemed like just yesterday. She looks and sounds perfectly capable of taking up where she left off--just wonderful. And I loved Spacey's sweet tribute--lovely moment. That whole bit made it so much better than "Hi Carol, when's the dvd coming out?"  Stephen really seems determined to change some of the late night formula--and all for the good. 

Carol Burnett is 82, btw. How is that even possible?

Glad to see that others had some concerns about the music at the end (and ITA why not do as Carson did and mix it up, placement-wise? I hope SC will do that, and also bring out some new comics, etc.  The two-guest format is better than I expected, but could benefit from not just having every show end with the music.)

• Love 4

When I saw Dave's show, the way they warmed you up and prepped us made it almost impossible not to do that. Plus if there was a lot of peer pressure to applaud. We were told to laugh as much as possible and not clap much. But some people took that to mean react as much as possible, which became clap at everything.

When we walked out, we turned to each other and commented on fun the show was but how unnatural the whole thing felt.

I guess everyone is entitled to have a bad day, but when I saw the Letterman show, he seemed kind of impatient about coming out beforehand and then proceeded to be a total snot to the audience--who had slept all night on a cold dirty floor in the hall for the privilege.

I didn't have too much trouble keeping down the whoop-whoops.

Edited by candall
  • Love 2

Glad to see that others had some concerns about the music at the end (and ITA why not do as Carson did and mix it up, placement-wise? I hope SC will do that, and also bring out some new comics, etc.  The two-guest format is better than I expected, but could benefit from not just having every show end with the music.)

If I may offer a contrary view...The music is the least interesting part of the show to me. Compared to the brilliance of the rest of the show, to which I'd assign a score of 99.5 on a scale of 100, the music rates about a 3 for me. Consequently, I'm very happy that the music is segregated all the way at the end of the show, and hope it remains that way. Putting it anywhere else would only slow the show down.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

I'm not a fan of the music segment either unless it's a particular performer who interests me. For instance, I was entranced by Kendrick Lamar's performance last week.

It would, however, be great if Stephen would have new standups up every once in a while. Something else I would love is if he had on non-famous people, like Carson did, who did something that caught the public's interest. Maybe that's kind of played out these days.

I see your point, and that would work if it's not a 'band' but obviously it takes time to set up the instruments and such.  That's why the last block of commercials run so long.  We're only two weeks into the program, I'm sure there will be plenty of tweaks as we go along.

I thought Mellencamp sounded like Tom Waits...hope it was technical, not medical.

No kidding.  Can't say as I follow his music all that much but that was a long way from the voice I heard on "Cherry Bomb" (then again that was 1987)

I'm not a fan of the music segment either unless it's a particular performer who interests me. For instance, I was entranced by Kendrick Lamar's performance last week.

It would, however, be great if Stephen would have new standups up every once in a while. Something else I would love is if he had on non-famous people, like Carson did, who did something that caught the public's interest. Maybe that's kind of played out these days.

I don't think it's "played out". Ellen DeGeneres tends to have those kinds of people on her show. Like today she had on a young girl who creates cheap in cost, but fully-functional & effective, prosthetic hands from a certain kind of plastic on a 3-D printer. It somehow tied into her new clothing line for Gap Kids, but exactly how was lost on me.

So, yeah, people like that are still getting on talk shows. There's 1 person in particular, from the last few days, I could've seen Carson interviewing if he were still around. But I don't know if Stephen would as well. And that's all I'll say since it's diverging into OT areas.

I don't think it's "played out". Ellen DeGeneres tends to have those kinds of people on her show.

Yep -- I have a friend who was a human interest guest on Ellen after a good deed she did made national news. There can be a LOT of competition if somebody is getting press... my friend was courted by numerous shows, and I think Ellen has kind of developed a reputation as the most generous host (indeed, Ellen wound up giving her a free vacation at the end of the segment). I'm sure Texas Clock Kid is fielding offers from everybody right now. Since Stephen is a big science/space fan, of course I think he'd be the perfect person to interview him.

David Letterman always used to have the Piedmont Bird Callers on every year. I live near the school and have wondered if Stephen will continue the tradition, but he might not want to do something so closely associated with his predecessor.

• Love 2

Totally! I hope it becomes a regular bit, instead of the "Planet of the Apps", which was announced as an actual recurring bit!

Look up his Wheel of Impressions on Fallon or the Star Wars sketches he did when he hosted SNL years ago.

But then I'd have to watch Fallon!

Okay, I might risk it for a few minutes to see Spacey. But it's definitely a sacrifice!

Since Stephen is a big science/space fan, of course I think he'd be the perfect person to interview him.

Anyone else shocked that Neil Degrasse Tyson hasn't already been on (Colbert had him in a video over the summer)? Or for someone slightly less overexposed, Michio Kaku?

Seeing Carol Burnett standing there, so comfortable taking questions from the audience again after all these years, brought back memories of her show that suddenly seemed like just yesterday. She looks and sounds perfectly capable of taking up where she left off--just wonderful. And I loved Spacey's sweet tribute--lovely moment. That whole bit made it so much better than "Hi Carol, when's the dvd coming out?"  Stephen really seems determined to change some of the late night formula--and all for the good.

Spacey and Burnett classed up this episode and showed how even when Colbert doesn't have newsmakers on, he can differentiate from the stupid shit Fallon does. Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

I mean, Stephen Colbert's show is basically an expanded version of The Colbert Report, right? (Merged with the network talk show format, of course).

David Letterman always used to have the Piedmont Bird Callers on every year. I live near the school and have wondered if Stephen will continue the tradition, but he might not want to do something so closely associated with his predecessor.

Ha! I live near (well, 3 miles away) from the school, too. It took me years to realize that Piedmont high had anything to do with the city of Piedmont I lived near.

Since it was a Carson thing, maybe Colbert will bring it back to carry on a tradition that has been through multiple late-night hosts.

• Love 1

This is obviously a minority opinion, since they all do it now, but I'm tired of every talk show ending every night with a musical number.  

I remember reading an article on this about 20 years ago.  Apparently, the reasoning behind placing the musical act last is that there are so many genres of music that only a small portion of the viewing audience will like a musical performance at any time, while the entire audience will love comedy bits and funny banter, and so they are placed before the music.  The exception to this, of course, are musical mega-superstars.  And even then, they'll often be brought out for an interview early and then come back later for the musical number. 

• Love 1

I just read that Ahmed Mohamed, the boy from Texas who made the clock, has agreed to be on the show.  

It didn't take Stephen long to find his groove.  I love that he's doing bits similar to what we saw on Report.  That's his bread and butter, commentary on all the insanity of the world, making us feel like we aren't crazy for wondering if celebrity lifestyle websites, politicians, etc aren't insane. 

• Love 6

Anyone else shocked that Neil Degrasse Tyson hasn't already been on (Colbert had him in a video over the summer)? Or for someone slightly less overexposed, Michio Kaku?

Neil DeGrasse Tyson had said in an interview sometime this summer that Colbert had tried to get him as a guest (for either the first day or first week) and he wanted to come on. However, they weren't able to get the schedules to work out for that and Neil DeGrasse Tyson has to work on Star Talk (season 2 premiering October 25 on Nat Geo). No doubt he will be on at some point.

• Love 2

Neil DeGrasse Tyson had said in an interview sometime this summer that Colbert had tried to get him as a guest (for either the first day or first week) and he wanted to come on. However, they weren't able to get the schedules to work out for that and Neil DeGrasse Tyson has to work on Star Talk (season 2 premiering October 25 on Nat Geo). No doubt he will be on at some point.

It shouldn't be THAT hard. Both Tyson AND in fact also Kaku are based in New York.

Kaku's an interesting guy. Stephen should try him if Tyson is booked up.

Not that they really do the same thing. I mean Kaku is a Theoretical Physicist, not an Astrophysicist. But they both have that "translating Science for the common man" aspect to their careers.

Edited by Kromm

I really enjoyed last night's show. The bit with the candidates saying each other's names was fantastic, esp when it ended with Lincoln pounding the table. Loved the Pope's chair. I can see the Pope being a guest! I mean, he won't be, but I can easily imagine it. And the whole curated lifestyle segment was fantastic. Stephen's "want" commercial was perfect.

Trevor Noah was very good. Ban Ki-moon was a good guest, too. 

I skipped the musical performance.

• Love 1