Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

The biggest surprise from these first two episodes is that Stephen is not doing a very good job with the interviews.

I hate to say it cause I worship Stephen but yes, that's what I noticed too....Elon Musk doesn't seem like an easy interview though, for anyone.  I was disappointed that he didn't ask Scarlett more substantive questions but maybe he's being cautious (or cautioned) to be way more vanilla than he was on TCR.  Overall though I really think he's doing a good job - you can tell he's enjoying the hell out of it and that makes him a pleasure to watch.

• Love 2
He's always been a little interrupt-y, but he seems shot out of a cannon these first couple episodes. Hopefully once he settles in, the adrenaline will slow a bit and he can be more conversational. With his Stephen wit thrown in, of course.

I think it's just nerves.  I know he's a seasoned performer and even used to being a host, but this is (to put it mildly) a big gig. 

I think Stephen is nervous as hell and just hiding it well, but that his version of nerves in being super-uber ON , which is part of the reason I think the training wheel guests and debuting during a short week was a good idea.  I haven't seen the interviews from last night yet (only had enough "I'm awake" in me for the opening segment) but I could swear Stephen has interviewed Musk before, on TCR.  He's usually kind of a nice guy and good interview, considering everything he's done, he really seemed kind of down-to-earth.  

On NPR Larry Wilmore talked pretty specifically about the kind of advice Jon Stewart gave him during his first rocky months, I'm sure Colbert isn't working in a vacuum.

Plus, even in his premiere episode, I felt like he did certain things very well.  The setup to ask Jeb! how he differs from his brother was elegantly done.  I'm sort of glad that Stephen is doing political guests this week.  It's an area where he really is able to have almost laser-like focus and he gracefully maneuvers around in that space.  

I'm not some seasoned performer and I have no idea what I would do if asked to do anything, at all, in front of six + million people.  I doubt I could friggin' respirate successfully for a second.  If it was being committed to some kind of digital permanent record, I'm pretty much positive I would simultaneously pee, fall-down and possibly be the first recorded and verified case of spontaneous combustion, just to get the hell out of having to do it.  

So to my mind, he's doing great to be as relatively even as he has been.  It's just such a big difference from the "This number of people reliably watch TCR" to "Hey, good luck.  A large portion of America is watching and that's without counting all the people who are DVRing this -- which will give them all the ability to rewind everything you do that is goofy, over and over...and over....until Skynet kills us all.  Good luck!"  kinds of pressure. 

• Love 6

The biggest surprise from these first two episodes is that Stephen is not doing a very good job with the interviews. I know this is a small sample size, but going in I figured that would be the one thing that he'd have nailed right out of the gate, even if some of the more creative aspects would need reconfiguring.

I've seen this elsewhere and I have to disagree a bit. I thought of the 4 interviews so far Scarlet Johansson was good, Elon Musk was interesting but not very telegenic, and Clooney and Bush were a mixed bag. The thing with Clooney and Bush is that it was obvious to me that the debut and setting the tone elements took priority over the interviews themselves. With Clooney and the bits it was all about showing that this would be a fairly traditional late night show and with Bush he seemed to be making a real effort to show that politicians he didn't agree with did not have to fear coming on the new show, so he avoided anything too challenging or going in for the kill. I think the best is yet to come, but he's doing ok so far.

• Love 1

There are still kinks to work out but I gotta say, I laughed out loud a lot.  Stephen is still a bit frantic and figuring out his tone, but he is very appealing.  I loved seeing the picture of all of the presidential candidates with Stephen's face peeking through the upper corner.  That was a great carry over from TCR.  

• Love 3

The bit last night about the campaign merch was hilarious.  That stuff just writes itself. 

I wish they could figure out bits for him to do other than the thing with the amulet or that wizard hat last night.  I read the Time article about him and they mentioned a few cards in the writers' room with ideas for potential segments, and they were much funnier.  I'd like to see him go out and do remotes, he's great just talking to people. 

Speaking of Larry Wilmore's interview, which I really enjoyed,  I noticed last night Jon is an executive producer on Late Show, so I'm sure he's giving his input. 

Clooney isn't that great a guest, he's kind of boring.  And I couldn't get what the problem was with Scarlett, she seemed nervous and he was asking her weird questions.   I was flipping back and forth between this and Fallon. 

It'll all smooth out over the next few weeks.  

I've seen this elsewhere and I have to disagree a bit. I thought of the 4 interviews so far Scarlet Johansson was good, Elon Musk was interesting but not very telegenic, and Clooney and Bush were a mixed bag. The thing with Clooney and Bush is that it was obvious to me that the debut and setting the tone elements took priority over the interviews themselves. With Clooney and the bits it was all about showing that this would be a fairly traditional late night show and with Bush he seemed to be making a real effort to show that politicians he didn't agree with did not have to fear coming on the new show, so he avoided anything too challenging or going in for the kill. I think the best is yet to come, but he's doing ok so far.

I agree that they set a tone and were successful for me (yes, I laughed at the fake movie and--begrudgingly--had to admit Jeb! came across as more pleasant and likable than usual. Sorry they left the gun question on the cutting room floor though.)

Did someone pressure Stephen to say "I might really vote for him" last night (v. the previous "zero chance" or whatever)? That really wasn't necessary.

I thought the SJ bit was funny although I didn't expect it and her weird chemistry with Stephen worked for me in the interview. I don't know where I've been, but I've never seen Musk before and thought the interview was pretty interesting (with all his money and all he's done do we really want him to be highly charismatic, too?) I probably missed some of it from reading about him on Wikip.. Horrific bullying throughout his childhood--boys threw him down a flight of stairs then beat him to unconsciousness and he was hospitalized. So I was kind of impressed by him--and the idea of going to Mars to nuke the poles and create the climate we wanted there did kind of seem "real life Bond villain" which was entertaining.

I never saw a melodica before I saw JB playing it, and ordered one on Amazon. Under $40--which is pretty crazy and it looks super fun ($25 if you want a green one).

The shopping for merch thing was funny. I just went to the Sanders' store and that's ALL they have "Feel the Bern" (Who came up with that? Hate.) Third party sellers are the ones with the nice designs for his stuff.

I thought the show was good, but ITA, whatever happens with the interview , Stephen MUST stop interrupting his guests. That may be a holdover from years of TCR but in this context it is just so rude and breaks the flow.  I also hope--hope a lot--that he'll stop dancing. I hate Ellen's dancing schtick but I know it's her thing and her audience loves joining in. I don't see any reason for him to keep doing it. Cute? Talented? Dance along-able? Endearing? No. 

All in all though, I thought it was a good show.

I don't like SJ, for a number of reasons, so I skipped over her, but I thought Elon Musk was a bit of a jerk, and Stephen handled him as professionally as he could. Looking forward to Joe Biden. That should be a good one. I'd love to have one of those t-shirts.

Did anyone watch the credits to see if any familiar Letterman names where there? I didn't see anything in IMDB but that doesn't have a full list. I can't help thinking the pacing and long overruns wouldn't have happened if Barbara Gaines was there.

The nod to Biff was nice, but why not retain a stage manager with decades of experience, even in that very theater? I don't know shit so this is completely speculative, but I do wonder if any of the 150+ Letterman staffers were re-hired.

Per IMDB, the four listed EPs who aren't Stephen and Jon are all from TCR. Makes sense, but also maybe an outside perspective would help.

I can understand Colbert and/or his producers wanting brand-new people or people who they were comfortable with.

(I seem to recall a Late Night staffer suing Jimmy Fallon when he was replaced by a female.)

They want their own Biff to grow old with. Biff was Letterman's thing.

I wonder, though, what happened to Letterman's intern guy. He was terrific.

I never saw a melodica before I saw JB playing it, and ordered one on Amazon. Under $40--which is pretty crazy and it looks super fun ($25 if you want a green one).

Thank you for this.  Had no idea what it was called, but I so want one and may ask for one for my birthday.  I wonder if it is hard to learn to play...

Thank you for this. Had no idea what it was called, but I so want one and may ask for one for my birthday. I wonder if it is hard to learn to play.

It seems like one of the easiest instruments around. It helps if you can read music and have played piano, but most people don't even play chords, just single notes (looked like Jon Batiste was mostly doing that, too). You just breathe into it and hit the individual keys so it would even be easy for someone playing by ear. It's apparently used a lot with kids. This is the one I got  (the 32 key version, linked on the page. Apparently its own link won't work)  http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-AIRBOARD32-37-Key-Airboard-Bag/dp/B00I0YOEBO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441990885&sr=8-1&keywords=hohner+air+board  There's a 37 key alternative, but I think 32 keys is enough and easier to hold. Hohner's black one ("melodica") is half that price, and a green one by a different company for only $23 that gets good reviews (they're pretty much all plastic, but Batiste's looks special. This one above I just found--a Hohner redesign of the melodica--now they're calling it an "airboard" lol.  I didn't like the other colored plastic ones, but I like the look of this one a lot--also like the tube that no longer looks like a feeding tube or a too-short mouthpiece. This "air board" (or a black melodica) imo, would make a great gift!)

Hope this isn't OT but Stephen really seems to be drawing a lot of attention to his band and its leader. Here Batiste (who's only 28!) is talking about why he likes it so much and playing some  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4wmh0PULws.  Apparently, he was a guest on Colbert and they both "felt the chemistry" and kept in touch.

Even the least expensive melodicas seem to have a nice sound. Pretty cool instrument to be able to get for under $25. It wouldn't surprise me if an offshoot of Colbert's new show is to get people, even including kids, turned on to the melodica. I think it would make a great gift at any level--people seem to have a lot of fun with it.

Edited by Padma

I enjoyed his monologue story about the show almost not airing, and I loved the merchandise segment.  I thought the hat segment was weak (loved his energy running up the stairs though).  And I fell asleep during the SJ interview.  Which is kind of how I thought the show would shape up, I pretend it's a 20 minute comedy show.

Does Stephen have to mention the guests before every commercial?  It feels weird how after the merchandise sketch, he says he'll have guests next, and then they do the hat sketch.

• Love 1
Per IMDB, the four listed EPs who aren't Stephen and Jon are all from TCR. Makes sense, but also maybe an outside perspective would help.

He did hire Brian Stack, a writer and performer on Conan and has 20+ years experience in this format. Brian was at SCTV and UCB, he's been on Parks & Rec, 30 Rock and was in Baby Mama.  His wife Miriam was on the Kilbourne version of Daily Show.  

• Love 2

... I could swear Stephen has interviewed Musk before, on TCR.  He's usually kind of a nice guy and good interview, considering everything he's done, he really seemed kind of down-to-earth.  

i too thought Musk had been on TCR. Here he really came across as pissy, right from the get-go I think. Maybe Stephen's interrupting was what did it.

And speaking of that... Man, I hope Stephen works on this. Like others have said, it's probably nerves. But he talks over his guests too much, and also transitions very poorly. He has bullet points to hit, and his style comes across as jumping from rock to rock across a stream. He also doesn't always listen. He said to SJ that she knew Elon Musk, and then after she talked about getting a tour of the factory/plant, Stephen asked if she had met Musk. There were some other times when he showed he hadn't been listening.

He made a comment in the monologue about going online to see the edited part where he and Clooney talk about human rights abuses and the Batman nipple suit, and I thought that was his way of saying he was aware of how badly the on-air interview came across when he asked about Darfur and then Clooney's wedding, or whatever it was.

I thought SJ was very good. She handled the interview just fine and was thinking quickly on her feet.

I really enjoyed Kendrick Lamar's performance. Granted, I couldn't always understand what he was saying, but what a mesmerizing performance.

As far as the show's gags, I loved the Undecided 2016 bit. Very inspired. I did expect him to say that proceeds would go to the Yellow Ribbon Fund or something. I also liked the Gengis Khan hat bit. As they went into the commercial break before this, the camera panned up, and I saw what I thought was a banner with a big mustache on it. I wondered about it. Turns out it was the rug with the image of the hat. Anyway, the jokes were good.

I think continuing the TCR desk gags with the graphics is a good thing. 

So my biggest gripe is how Stephen is conducting the interviews. It really would be best if he did like Craig Ferguson did and not use any notes.

i too thought Musk had been on TCR. Here he really came across as pissy, right from the get-go I think. Maybe Stephen's interrupting was what did it.

[...]

So my biggest gripe is how Stephen is conducting the interviews. It really would be best if he did like Craig Ferguson did and not use any notes.

Musk appeared twice on TCR: July 28, 2010 and July 24, 2014.

Jon Stewart never used notes either.

I saw the interview that Stephen did after the Rosewater premiere with Jon Stewart and Mazier Bahari. Even in that situation, Stephen was pretty bad IIRC. He overtalked and didn't pay attention, just like people are complaining about here. And that's a pretty low key interview he did with a friend (albeit pretty late at night).

I didn't see the second episode and didn't really notice it the first episode. Though I was jut kind of bored during those interviews. I think the interrupting thing is something he did as a character on TCR so much that it's going to be a hard habit to break. Though Colbert on TCR was always attentive at listening, allowing him to "play up the asshole" when allowed. Very quick and clearly using his improv chops. So don't know what's up here.

Jon Stewart never used notes either.

He used them when debating politicians/media folk. He'd have facts, figures, and quotes on them that he'd use. He also had cards during interviews with celebrities, but never really consulted them for better or worse. However, he also had the interrupting issue though not so much the not listening part, he was a very astute listener.

I so want the big furry hat to become a regular segment of Stephen's. It would be better than Bill Maher's New Rules.

Malala Yousafzai would be a most welcome guest next week, and a much needed palate cleanser after the shit sandwiches of Trump and Cruz.

Speaking of Fallon. He was trending all night on social media. No sign of Colbert like last night.

We are so fucking doomed as a society if people think Fuckface Fallon is more interesting a subject than Stephen! >8S

• Love 1

He's just so used to badgering the guests that he can't figure out when he has to actually let them answer him. It worked for his character, but it looks like the character hasn't completely worn off.

• Love 1

Did anyone watch the credits to see if any familiar Letterman names where there? I didn't see anything in IMDB but that doesn't have a full list. I can't help thinking the pacing and long overruns wouldn't have happened if Barbara Gaines was there.

The nod to Biff was nice, but why not retain a stage manager with decades of experience, even in that very theater? I don't know shit so this is completely speculative, but I do wonder if any of the 150+ Letterman staffers were re-hired.

IMO this isn't the kind of thing to spin Colbert as the "bad guy" with. The Letterman folks were hardly just tossed out on their ears--they were given a lot of notice to find other jobs, but in fact a lot were simply set to go, voluntarily like Dave, with a nice retirement plan.

And particularly with Biff, why would he even want that?  The man is like 70 or somewhere around that.

Night 2 Ratings (Hollywood Reporter): Colbert & Fallon tie; Late Show sees a demo drop.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-colbert-fallon-tie-821697

Ugh (which is what I say every time I hear about that hack Fallon inheriting Leno's "nice enough for the oldies to like him" mantle).

• Love 1

Never missed a Colbert Report, not a fan of the late night chat shows but thought I'd give it a try. Not impressed so far. I might check back in a month or so to see if its something I want to see. 

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching the interviews. I'm starting to wonder how much control Stephen has over the writing process right now. His strongest segments so far have both been political bits-- skits that I would assume that he had some creative control over or wanted to be in the writer's room for. The demon skit & the furry hat skit feel like they were written by other people. The interviews feel like he hasn't prepared at all, but was thrown a stack of questions as he danced on stage. The monologues are too short right now to get a feel whether it's Stephen's voice.

Finally got around to watching the interviews. I'm starting to wonder how much control Stephen has over the writing process right now. His strongest segments so far have both been political bits-- skits that I would assume that he had some creative control over or wanted to be in the writer's room for. The demon skit & the furry hat skit feel like they were written by other people. The interviews feel like he hasn't prepared at all, but was thrown a stack of questions as he danced on stage. The monologues are too short right now to get a feel whether it's Stephen's voice.

Actually the Furry Hat skit seems VERY much like him. In a way so does the Demon skit (but that one just not as well done--the Furry Hat skit was the superior of the two). Stephen has had plenty of stuff where he's been into that kind of absurdest approach to his own character. What he did in The Colbert Report finale was exactly this, for example. Or to an extent the person he presented (not the same exactly as TCR Stephen) who did The Colbert Christmas Special. Stephen's got a strong goofy side that he most often channeled into TCR' host being a buffoon, but which also could stray into absurdism in other areas.

• Love 2

Yeah I liked the furry hat except that it seemed so much in character with his old show. I mean it was still funny, but telling us what to do and explaining how the world should work is very much what I remember of TCR. 

Looking at the photo in the article linked above. I was struck more than I had been watching the show how much the sets look alike. I wish they were different particularly all the blue light and the stain glass which should be easy enough to change. 

Posting this here as well as the media thread.  A bit of double coverage but I think it fits both.  

What you DON'T notice up on the TV I think, but can when you can replay and stop are some of the sneaky details.  For example, around the 10/11 second mark, it's not just a street shot with two buildings it's people TOSSING A FOOTBALL between those two buildings (something that was probably at best unwise and possibly illegal to do!).  And the sneakiest bit, around the 25 second mark is that we get a shot with the top of a building along the right side. If you are more caught up with the special effects of the credits, or the celeb names, what you DON'T notice is that Stephen and Jon Batiste are standing ON that rooftop, Jon playing Piano and Stephen (in a bright blue suit) waving his arms around like a madman.

While it's definitely Stephen next to Jon by that piano in the credits, the one I'm unsure of is if it's also him who throws the football (and does a little celebratory Wahoo! leap up and down). Watched that ten times now and just can't tell.  The leap makes it SEEM more like him, but unlike the later shot you just can't see the figure well enough.

EDIT - It IS him.  I post evidence in the Media thread.

Edited by Kromm
Yeah I liked the furry hat except that it seemed so much in character with his old show. I mean it was still funny, but telling us what to do and explaining how the world should work is very much what I remember of TCR.

Yeah, I think he's trying to keep the quirks and mannerisms of his old character, but they don't work without the underlying commentary. A parody of a narcissistic right wing pundit is funny. But a plain old narcissist giving orders is just annoying. He used to use his character to highlight a genuine point of view about the world. The point of view being solely about himself is not funny in the same way, it's just irritating. And when he used to interrupt his guests, it was to force them to answer something. Now it's just because he can't seem to pay attention.

I love absurdist comedy, but your ego being absurd is not enough of a joke to sustain a show that is actually airing for an hour five nights a week. And if you can't fake an interest in what other people are saying, don't interview them.

I don't mind the dancing. I liked it when Ferguson danced, too.

Ellen Degeneres lip syncing on Fallon was funny. It's not challenging in any way, but it's a reliably amusing kind of bit, and everyone was likable and not trying to hit every note from every angle. I get the sense that Stephen is trying to pack his show full of something for everyone, to show he's network friendly. But what's happening is that he's coming across manic and unfocused and that his only point of view is himself. He needs to figure out a way to appeal to a wide range of people without being scattered and ego-fluffing.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3

Posting this here as well as the media thread.  A bit of double coverage but I think it fits both.  

What you DON'T notice up on the TV I think, but can when you can replay and stop are some of the sneaky details.  For example, around the 10/11 second mark, it's not just a street shot with two buildings it's people TOSSING A FOOTBALL between those two buildings (something that was probably at best unwise and possibly illegal to do!).  And the sneakiest bit, around the 25 second mark is that we get a shot with the top of a building along the right side. If you are more caught up with the special effects of the credits, or the celeb names, what you DON'T notice is that Stephen and Jon Batiste are standing ON that rooftop, Jon playing Piano and Stephen (in a bright blue suit) waving his arms around like a madman.

That's awesome. I didn't realize until I read it elsewhere that Colbert was the announcer. Though I preferred his fake announcer voice on Tuesday than the real one on Wednesday..

The interviews so far have been terrible, don't know if it's a holdover from TCR that his brain is in overdrive and he has to spit everything out as soon as he thinks of it. And the sooner the "Stephen, Stephen" chanting stops the better.

Edited by annabel

I've only watched the first episode so far, but I think timing is the biggest issue with the interviews.  For some guests they should probably have only one interview per night.  I think trying to reach specific topics is what drives the choppiness.  Interviews on the TCR had at most ten minutes, and the interviews here are not much longer.  I think Colbert is trying to be inclusive and welcoming to guests, but he also wants to hold a dialogue, and the two are not balanced yet.

For a debut, I thought it was funny enough and sincere enough to merit further watching.

On the CR and DS, I constantly wished that the show was longer to accommodate longer interviews and wished that Stephen wouldn't interrupt the "intellectual" guest so often (it did help once CC put the extended interviews as clips on the web). On The Late Show, I find myself (so far) not minding at all that Stephen is interrupting because to me he's the entertainment and late show interviews are always so safe and tame anyways; I'm the same way with Conan constantly talking over his guests. They aren't going to be offering anything of value to the late-show format and the general audience, so why not? Even with guests like Elon Musk...if it were the CR I definitely would have wanted to hear more from the guest, but for the Late Show, I know they're going to be talking about nothing substantive - zero about his infrastructure across the country of charging stations, zero about the cross-country (or even SF-to-LA) Hyperloop, zero about the batteries and undoing the archaic Edison infrastructure, zero about PayPal...he's just going to be the real-life Tony Stark/new Steve Jobs-schtick for the general audience who has those cars that keep breaking records, pissing off unions and dealerships, and the space thing that the far majority of people think is the same billionaire/people/program that's sending a bunch of people to form a Martian colony...if they're even aware of that story.

Edited by Potanical Pardon

This Joe Biden interview is really something special.

(And then the CEO of Uber came on. And it was awkward.)

Especially the part about the tuna salad sandwich in the glove compartment.

• Love 2

Holy cow. That interview with Joe Biden was one the best I've ever seen a late night host do. It was emotional, sincere, heartbreaking and funny. Just pitch perfect and shows why Colbert got the job.

• Love 18

Holy cow. That interview with Joe Biden was one the best I've ever seen a late night host do. It was emotional, sincere, heartbreaking and funny. Just pitch perfect and shows why Colbert got the job.

I couldn't agree more with what you just wrote. That interview really moved me. And Stephen and Mr. Biden have a great rapport as well.

• Love 5

That was a really special interview.  Made me glad I kept the show on the DVR for now. I might have been 'chopping onions' while watching.  

Not much else about the show really excited me.  That stand up intro continues to be weird and cluttered and his desk monologue hasn't had another amazing Oreo moment.  

• Love 1

I just can't see how they will make that monologue work. Either make it longer, or get rid of it. Now, it's pointless.

Loved the part when he was sitting. When he did that thing describing Luntz as a child, that's what he used to do at the CR. I loved that stuff before.

The interviews were great. Both Biden and the other guy.

Edited by amsel

I forgot to set the PVR for it so I hope I can find it online to watch given I'm in Canada.  This morning I was listening to the radio and they were speaking to a former producer of that station who went to the show last night.  She spoke about the ticket process (she actually got her ticket Wednesday evening) and there was a lot of waiting to get in.  She did say that a LOT was cut from the Biden interview; it was so long that they were contemplating extending his time and keeping the Uber interview for another time.  Speaking of the Uber guy, there was someone in the upper level who loudly heckled him twice about the loss of jobs and what Uber does to the taxi industry.  She said Colbert let him rant and said "Now I'm going to ask the same things but in a more polite manner."  She said the overall taping was about 2.5 hours.

• Love 3

Saw the 2nd show and was unimpressed.  The interview with Musk was horrible.  Musk was being a little pissy but so was Colbert - you could see he didn't like being corrected one little bit.  All the non-interview bits fell flat for me.  They keep talking about how amazing the band is, but as we don't get to listen to them I don't care.

The more I watch this show, the more I wish they'd given Ferguson the gig.  This show is now lumped in with all the other new talk shows for me, I will watch if I have nothing better to do and the guest is interesting.

• Love 1

I forgot to set the PVR for it so I hope I can find it online to watch given I'm in Canada.

It's on GlobalTV.com.  I think it will be pay-blocked in 7 days, though, so watch now.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1

I won't deny that I teared up during the Biden interview, but I also thought the parts about his son bordered on exploitative (too harsh a word, but you know what I mean.)  I thought there should have been about 2/3s less focus on his grief and wish Stephen had switched gears to talk about what Biden feels proudest of during his vp years...or a world/U.S. problem...something.  The death is too recent and the grief still too strong. I didn't like how after Biden told about the man calling out "Major Beau Biden! etc." , Colbert didn't even have much of a response--yet still went on to talk more about the loss in a different context. Really, "enough" became "too much" imo. 

They're relying a lot on editing, so I'm surprised they didn't edit that down by half. Hope no one in the editing bay was saying, "This will make great television."

I was interested to see the Uber guy, but actually found him more pissy and off-putting than Musk was.  Glad he got a little push back from the audience, and I appreciated Stephen mentioning how rates go up--triple or quadruple (!)--in emergencies.  I wish he had pushed a bit more on the answer, also for examples of where they've "waived that altogether" and apparently charged nothing at all in certain emergencies. Because, really, where? when? I had never heard that about uber rates doing that and would have liked to hear more.   So..interesting but again, I wish Stephen were just a little more focused.

Also, re: Biden. He looked good, but you could see his age showing in his face and his walk. I'm sure grieving doesn't help, but I think I "get" why his wife apparently doesn't want him to take on that job at his age. (Also, didn't he also have a brain tumor some years back? That has to weigh on your mind a bit, too, committing to such a strenuous and stressful job.)  So I was disappointed, because I don't think he'll decide he's up to it--and he probably, really, isn't.  (With all the candidates coming on Stephen, any bets about HC? My guess is we'll see Bill, but not her.)

• Love 1

probably unpopular opinion, but I did not like Joe Biden interview. Assuming that these are scripted interviews, it seemed like this was planned PR (grief exploitation?) for the VP. I hope that is not the case. But then why focus on the grief angle so much? If it was part of an in-depth interview on the other hand .. that is a different story, but then why would they select this part of the interview for broadcast?)

yeah, the show needs to settle and find its character. Its too mixed up right now.

Edited by FartyPants

I thought there should have been about 2/3s less focus on his grief and wish Stephen had switched gears to talk about what Biden feels proudest of during his vp years...or a world/U.S. problem...something.  The death is too recent and the grief still too strong.

I can see your point, but I thought that for late night television it was a very sincere and honest discussion about living with grief, and even as an atheist I was moved by the way Biden talked about the role religion has played in his life. It's so different than the way people like Huckabee and Cruz talk about their "faith," using it as a club to beat other people over the head with. Because they have a direct relationship with God that gives them the smug certainly they are always correct, and can tell other people how to live.

Isn't Toby Keith one of those country singers who does "America, love it or leave it" type songs? In any event, I'm sure he wasn't who Stephen would've chosen as a musical guest in his first week. (From what we've seen on the CR his personal musical taste runs towards Broadway and gospel/soul. And Neil Young). I feel like Toby Keith and the bit with the ex-NFL players was the network's attempt to make him accessible to a mass audience.

• Love 2

Toby Keith was on TCR a few times, so Stephen seems to genuinely like him.

I think Stephen improved so much in the interviews. He let Biden talk at length, and he did the same with Kalanick, except for jumping in when Kalanick said something a regular person wouldn't understand. Plus Stephen seemed to be listening a lot better and responding to what the person said instead of just jumping onto the next talking point.

In a way I thought Stephen dwelt too long on the grief subject, and yet I appreciated the in-depth discussion of it. It reminded me of Craig Ferguson's in-depth interviews. I hope this is a sign of things to come.

I just can't see how they will make that monologue work. Either make it longer, or get rid of it. Now, it's pointless.

I like the length of the monologue. Graham Norton has a very short monologue and then gets to the guests. This is my favorite way of doing talk shows.

I loved Stephen's little impression of the Pope doing the Super Bowl halftime show with Bruno Mars. "Don't believe me just watch." And the stuff at the desk was good, like Trump turning his high bar graph into a luxury condo.

• Love 6

I can see your point, but I thought that for late night television it was a very sincere and honest discussion about living with grief, and even as an atheist I was moved by the way Biden talked about the role religion has played in his life. It's so different than the way people like Huckabee and Cruz talk about their "faith," using it as a club to beat other people over the head with. Because they have a direct relationship with God that gives them the smug certainly they are always correct, and can tell other people how to live.

I have no religious beliefs at all, but I actually -loved- that part.  That was a good way to explain how religion helped without anything that others might see as proselytizing or overly formulaic and simplistic. Talking about how Catholicism, with its many rituals and traditions that accompany your life experiences whether good or bad, provides a framework of support and the comfort of shared traditions that helps get through the worst times,too (whatever it was, he said it a lot better, but this is what I got out of it).  I thought that was very simple, honest and beautiful, much different than the way we usually hear politicians speak about their faith on television.

I was a little disappointed that my family had to "take back" the television before the musical number, but knowing that I just missed Toby Keith makes me feel much better now.

• Love 7