Type keyword(s) to search

LSSC: Season One All Episodes Talk

• Start Topic

I just rewatched the Trump is an Oreo segment and damn, it's even funnier the second time around.  It's making me rethink my DVR settings.  I really had no intention of watching this show beyond showing support for SC's premiere.  Network late night shows just aren't my thing.  Colbert says he isn't going to be doing anything new with late night tv, but perhaps he really is intending to sneak in something new and fresh.  His social commentary is more on point than any other late night network comedian.  Oreos all over his face might seem lighthearted but when you really get your teeth into it, it's quite biting.  

Think I'm going to check out at least a few more episodes because even if I ff through the interviews, the Stephen Colbert I know and love seems to still be there.  SC Lite, sort of.  Packaged in this way, the jokes become almost even more intelligent than they were on the in-your-face Report.  

Edited by Human
  • Love 3

The thing is we don't know (yet) where Stephen intends to go with the announcer bit. It could be a great running joke, or it could get tiresome.  Or he might not even intend to do it permanently (and use his bandleader or something).

He's not the first host to do his own announcing. I know I've seen this before. It will come to me.

The more I think on the Oreos skit the deeper I read into it. There was a shit ton of cleverness hidden in that.

The music number only went sour for me when Mavis Staples sang. I know she's the great and I love her records (and even many previous live performances from her) but something was busted with her last night. As I said upthread, if she wasn't sick, maybe it was finally just age catching up.

I can't believe I'm defending Trump, but I'd personally love to see people boycott companies who outsource jobs. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially compared to the idea of continuing to sign trade agreements that encourage them to do this exact thing. There used to be a "buy American" campaign, and "Buy Union" as well-- until it became almost impossible because of the decline of available goods that would qualify for purchase.

So on that level, I do agree that if you are running for office, it's not enough to call for a boycott, you have to also propose a policy that makes bad corporate behavior impossible, since governing is a job that allows you to promote changes at that systemic level. Amd yes, Trump's a hypocrite for criticizing other capitalists when his own house is not in order.

But I don't think Colbert's response highlighted a single one of those points at all. I appear to be the only person who still thinks the bit is insensitive to workers, but I do still think that. To me, it was just a lazy, indulgent, no doubt highly lucrative way to shill for Oreo. We all know the media focus on Trump is stupid. Either stop participating, critique the man in some constructive way, or give air time to the other candidates for balance. The message seemed to be that although overindulging in Oreos is not healthy, and they are currently laying off workers to send jobs elsewhere, watching Trump and gorging on Oreos are just laughable guilty pleasures, nothing to really worry about, and we all do it, so hahahahahahaha isn't that funny?

Apparently it is funny, but not to me.

Just watched the gun cuntrol clip with Jeb...and as someone who leans right, I rather enjoyed Stephen doing a debate of sorts with Jeb!....Jeb's answer needs a bit more meat to it and the argument Stephen made is something I could see...

I think if this clip aired, I would have loved it more and it would have given me hope that there can be substantive discussion of issues on Late Night TV again..Fallon can't do that..Letterman was a genuis at it...

But I don't think Colbert's response highlighted a single one of those points at all. I appear to be the only person who still thinks the bit is insensitive to workers, but I do still think that. To me, it was just a lazy, indulgent, no doubt highly lucrative way to shill for Oreo.

Please don't take this wrong, but I think you missed the point of the bit totally if you think it was actually about Oreos. Or even Trade issues. It wasn't about either of those.

it was about the media fixation on Trump and his outrageous presentation.  Oreos were the hook because they were Trump's issue, but there was also a firm comparison between the addictive qualities of Oreos and of the media (and comedians) reporting on/relying on Trump's outrageously entertaining antics (and NOT on the actual issues).

Could Stephen have also seriously talked about the trade issues involved?  Sure. Just not in THAT particular bit. The bit was slapstick and media commentary. Trade issues would be a different bit. I mean nothing in Colbert's presentation said the factory move was right (or that IT was mockworthy). That's why the mockery moved on to stuff like the media reporting on Trump's hair (and other over the top moments with him) and didn't stick with the factory stuff.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 4

FYI: The Oreo segment was NOT product placement (i.e. paid for/approved by Nabisco). It was just a comedy bit riffing on Trump's mention of the brand. The Sabra segment WAS product placement.

Well arguably neither use was particularly flattering.  The Sabra stuff was over the top, but you just know some wack-a-doodle dim bulbs out there now think the company is run by Satanists.

The Oreo bit did rely on pushing the idea that Oreos are addictively delicious, and in a way that could arguably be a real effective plug, but it's not like Oreos needed that endorsement of their taste or doesn't already benefit from a default assumption of their primacy in their market position. And even if it was a lesser point used to forward the humor, now millions of people who didn't see the news reports about the factory move, or Trump blathering about it, saw it mentioned on network TV. Sure, if it was a serious piece Stephen could have pounded on Nabisco for doing this, but that's a dangerous ledge for him to wander out onto so quickly. It also would have unfocused the jokes about Trump--who may have a point about moving a factory but is also a buffoon otherwise.

it was about the media fixation on Trump and his outrageous presentation.  Oreos were the hook because they were Trump's issue, but there was also a firm comparison between the addictive qualities of Oreos and of the media (and comedians) reporting on/relying on Trump's outrageously entertaining antics

Yes, I understand that that's what people are saying was the intent, and I'm willing to believe you all are right that that was the intent. I'm just saying I still think it wasn't funny (to me), that I think the way it's constructed trivializes not only the larger issues about trade, but also the media obsession with Trump. Obviously, this makes me look like an uptight dimwit with no sense or humor to all the people who found it hilarious, and I will have to live with that. But at this point I don't think I'm misunderstanding why others think it's funny, I'm just dissenting from that point of view.

I am basically advocating that, if Colbert wants to be non-controversial, he stays out of the political waters entirely. Its perfectly possible to be funny without offending left or right. But if he does want to comment on politics, he will have to be more meaningful than "we're such dopes for watching Trump, but I'm going to do it anyway" if he wants me to find it funny, and he will also have to steer clear of situations where he airs a sad thing like massive layoffs and then fails to point out how sad it is.

I totally respect that others do not feel the same way about it, but I don't think I'm currently misunderstanding what happened, even if I don't find it amusing.

• Love 1

And he twirled!

He Daft Punked twirled?  I admit I teared up for that.

Was the show great?  No.  Was it a decent start? Yes.  I don't think Colbert will get all slapstick and sappy like Fallon or snarky like Kimmer.  His humour is a bit more pointed.  But I do think his long string of interview experience will help him stick out in the 1135 hour.  

The downside: I'm hungry for Oreos.  

• Love 1

The thing is I think the bit assumed people were smart enough to figure out their opinion on a factory moving to Mexico by themselves. 

It was an issue of timing. In the wake of Trump banging on about it, you can't really do a bit criticizing the factory closing without coming off like you're in alignment with him.

I think the fact that the canned footage moved on from Trump talking about the factory was the key. People feeling his hair to ensure it was real, and him blustering about all kinds of other things.

I think Colbert CAN be political, but we can't dictate his beliefs any more than we did when he was Colbert Report Stephen. Clearly he doesn't want to even accidentally be associated with Trump.

• Love 1

As I noted above, I was steeling myself for mixed to negative reviews (which I would disagree with), but of the four or five I've seen so far, they have been almost uniformly quite positive.  I've seen a lot more negative opinions here than from any of the professional critics.

I've read five or six reviews and they're all 80% positive or more.

I enjoyed the show.  Obviously, they need to tweek some things here and there, but it'll all get ironed out and Stephen will hit his stride.  My favorite was the Oreo bit.  And I loved the audience chanting "Stephen!"  That brought me back to misty memories of TCR.  Please don't let the producers stifle that audience enthusiasm.  I have no problem with Stephen being his own announcer.  I think it's kinda cute and different.  I agree with whoever said upthread that some viewers who aren't familiar with Stephen's TCR comedy may have been scared of the "evil" hummus bit.  (I once worked with a woman who was evangelical and wouldn't eat or touch deviled eggs or devil's food cake because it had the word "devil" in it.) I was wondering if Stephen would have a standing monologue. I think he would have stood out from the Jimmys if he would have done it sitting at his desk.  I like the set and the band is awesome.

All in all, I'm in.  I can't wait for tonight's episode.  Now that the first show is done, any jitters he had will be gone.   

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 1

You know, I'm not even sure the Oreo bit could accurately be described as political commentary.  There are political subjects in the skit, yes, but the entire thing was really a social/cultural commentary.  The point is about how gluttony can shape us both literally and figuratively.  

• Love 3

I had never heard of tilt shift photography but couldn't imagine that was a real miniature, so thanks to all who cleared that up for me.

I loved the cold open, the Biff Henderson shout out, the Oreos bit. I thought the interviews felt rushed but I'm sure that will change. The theater looks great and the band is fantastic. I'm in.

I watched the rest of the show tonight.  Can someone tell me whose picture was on JImmy Fallon's locker door?

That was Stephen's photo from the cover of Time.  I  think some people aren't recognizing him because it looks so serious and he doesn't have his glasses on.  I would guess the photographers don't like dealing with the reflections the glasses would likely cause.

• Love 1

You know, I'm not even sure the Oreo bit could accurately be described as political commentary.  There are political subjects in the skit, yes, but the entire thing was really a social/cultural commentary.  The point is about how gluttony can shape us both literally and figuratively.  

Agreed.  I think Trump was the pick because he happens to be someone who people are talking about a lot (both positively and negatively.)  He happens to be a political figure, but I don't think the skit itself was political.  I think the same skit would be just as funny if it featured the Kardashians, who seem to find exposure 24/7 on a variety of media platforms.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 1

I wasn't impressed.  I really enjoyed the Colbert Report, but I thought this was going to be something different.  I've seen Stephen just being himself in other interviews, and he is smart, thoughtful and insightful.  I was hoping for more of that.   I also thought the Oreo stuff was misguided.  I wasn't really offended but I found it insensitive! I don't know how else he could have led into his segment, and I got the joke, but it fell flat for me

So I guess Scarlett Johansson is just on for fun tonight, too? As far as I know she's got nothing tp push. Actually, she's not exactly the most dynamic talk show guest, from what I've seen of her before.

Yes, I understand that that's what people are saying was the intent, and I'm willing to believe you all are right that that was the intent. I'm just saying I still think it wasn't funny (to me), that I think the way it's constructed trivializes not only the larger issues about trade, but also the media obsession with Trump. Obviously, this makes me look like an uptight dimwit with no sense or humor to all the people who found it hilarious, and I will have to live with that. But at this point I don't think I'm misunderstanding why others think it's funny, I'm just dissenting from that point of view.

I am basically advocating that, if Colbert wants to be non-controversial, he stays out of the political waters entirely. Its perfectly possible to be funny without offending left or right. But if he does want to comment on politics, he will have to be more meaningful than "we're such dopes for watching Trump, but I'm going to do it anyway" if he wants me to find it funny, and he will also have to steer clear of situations where he airs a sad thing like massive layoffs and then fails to point out how sad it is.

I totally respect that others do not feel the same way about it, but I don't think I'm currently misunderstanding what happened, even if I don't find it amusing.

You know, I'm not sure that bit was -just- about the media OD-ing on Trump. Because the only thing I remember from it was that he was against Nabisco outsourcing jobs (and, oh yea, the big mess at the end). I enjoyed the Trump clips that he couldn't resist, but I think he might have included the first one as kind of an "I want to not -completely- make him look like a loon".  Because many many Americans hear "Don't outsource" and like the message.  I don't think the choice of clip was irrelevant to the bit, though in itself it wasn't the joke.

I like the idea that including the gun control question would have given it more "content"--and I would think people who agree with Jeb would have thought he got the last word on it (those who disagree would have liked the question and follow ups). Personally, I could never watch Leno because he was just completely Irrelevant--I would have rather been offended (I think) than listen to bland and predictable. The only predictable joke last night for me was the "Orange + ..." one about Trump.

I hope as it goes on he'll feel freer to risk more relevancy like on TCR (I would have preferred that "possible audience turnoff" to the emphasis on false idols, demons, Satan, whatever that too-long hummus one was.  I don't mean to pick though, because it was so great to see SC and his energy and joy (real or amped) is amazing.

Edited by Padma
I can't believe I'm defending Trump, but I'd personally love to see people boycott companies who outsource jobs. I don't think it's a bad idea, especially compared to the idea of continuing to sign trade agreements that encourage them to do this exact thing.

Here's one of the problems with Trump saying that though, possibilities , he's not actually going to boycott materials from companies that have outsourced manufacturing or jobs to Mexico or anywhere else.   The list of things he'd have to give up from his personal Trumpiness starts with, but doesn't even come close to ending with: use of his private plane which almost certainly has parts from GE , who was a pioneer in outsourcing.  I could go on from there until we all wanted to drown ourselves in a lake of cookie-infused milk, just to get me to stop, but I won't. 

I understand you don't like the bit and that's your right.  I'm not disputing that.  However, it is one of the most hypocritical things Trump has said.  I am SURE he will never eat another Oreo again and keep his word.  Admittedly, the last time Donald Trump ate an Oreo was probably at least three wives ago. 

It's not that boycotting companies that outsource jobs (and all of us who are typing on various....pretty much  everything are currently using a product from a company that has outsourced) is a bad idea. It's not a solution for a presidential ticket.  It's pandering to people via a food he thinks we eat (I don't personally like Oreos, so my boycott began at age eight or so) . 

Anyway, moving on from that, because liking the bit, or not liking the bit is clearly going to be a personal thing.  Plus, I practically need to spray the joint with Trump-begone I've dropped his name so many times, I'm terrified I'll conjure him. 

I will admit to something unpopular myself:  I laughed my butt off during the Clooney skits.  It wasn't just that I knew Jeb! (Argh!) was cooling his heels in a green room, waiting for the non-movie-event of the year to finish its faux-plug (although that didn't hurt), it just tickled me.  

Also, thank you, SlackerInc, that was a super nice thing to say and I appreciate it.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 7

I'm fine with just drooling at ScarJo, dynamic or not.

Well arguably neither use was particularly flattering.  The Sabra stuff was over the top, but you just know some wack-a-doodle dim bulbs out there now think the company is run by Satanists.

The Oreo bit did rely on pushing the idea that Oreos are addictively delicious, and in a way that could arguably be a real effective plug, but it's not like Oreos needed that endorsement of their taste or doesn't already benefit from a default assumption of their primacy in their market position.

I am impressed that Sabra was willing to pay for such edgy product placement.  Not only because of uptight evangelicals getting freaked out (as they were for years about Proctor and Gamble), but because of the conceit that Stephen didn't want to promote hummous but did so only under duress.

The Oreo bit, you could imagine them paying for (with Stephen being genuinely into them, not under duress) except for one thing: the fact that it was set up by the announcement of the moving of the factory to Mexico.  There is no way the company wants that publicized, and they certainly aren't going to pay for it.  (Although I'm sure they didn't mind the swipe at Hydrox, LOL.)

• Love 1

Anyway, moving on from that, because liking the bit, or not liking the bit is clearly going to be a personal thing.  Plus, I practically need to spray the joint with Trump-begone I've dropped his name so many times, I'm terrified I'll conjure him. 

I have heard that if you look in a mirror and say "Donald Trump" three times, your hair turns into a matted mess on top of your head. I'm too afraid to try.  I don't have the time to untangle it. 

• Love 7

So I guess Scarlett Johansson is just on for fun tonight, too? As far as I know she's got nothing tp push. Actually, she's not exactly the most dynamic talk show guest, from what I've seen of her before.

This is what I always think about stars like Clooney or Tom Cruise. I watched talk shows for engaging guests, never just to see the biggest movie stars (personality be damned). I'd rather have someone less famous who's a fun guest. This being the premier month, I don't know that they needed to push hard to get the "big guests." The show just being new and Stephen being who he is could draw ratings alone.

• Love 1

I loved the Anthem singing, the last song, the lockers, Jimmy, the trump bit, the Decision Strike movie and when he asked Jeb how he was different from his brother. (I honestly thinks Jeb reminds me more of Romney.)   

Watching the next one, I agree it could use an announcer. The band is growing on me. I think they're going to have a hard time training the audience to not do the Stephen chant. 

One thing they should definitely stop doing is having Colbert announce the night's guests at the end of the monologue, since they then just repeat the guests a minute later during the opening titles.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

Thought tonight was a bit stronger, although I'm saving the interviews for tomorrow. The credits really need to roll at the beginning. I wonder if this is a week one thing so he can introduce the band more.

I laughed hard at the Undecided 2016 segment with the merchandise. The furry hat reminded too much of Conan's Year 3000 skit (probably my most loved variety skit ever) so I found it lacking. There were some funny lines though, so it wasn't a complete waste like the Sabra skit was.

I still feel like Stephen's monologue is the weakest of the late night guys so far. Other then the story of last night's mishaps I think he had one other set of jokes in there? And the credits were rolling by minute 7.

• Love 1

It appears the prescripted interview gags are here to stay. I know the old guys had their wacky bits that would have gone viral had Youtube been around, but this seems like more of what Fallon does. Stephen needs to chill during the interviews and just talk and listen. For an improv guy you'd think he'd be better at that. I suppose he's used to doing them in character and for a shorter amount of time, but talking over the guests isn't going to cut it.

I enjoyed all of the first part of the show tonight. But I was a longtime TCR fan. I don't know how a general Late Show audience will feel about it.

Speaking of Fallon. He was trending all night on social media. No sign of Colbert like last night.

I loved the Undecided 2016 stuff.  I want the bumper sticker at the end saying something to the effect of leave me alone, it's only 2015.  (It's a short phrase - I should remember it.  But I laughed, then totally forgot what it actually said.)

• Love 1

Surprisingly, I thought Scarlett was the best intervew Colbert has had so far. Jeb was dull, George was awkward for some reason and that Tesla guy was a prick. Scarlett got into the whimisical interview and went with it. I was impressed with her after that interview and I normally don't care for her.

I really liked the bit with the Gingus Khan hat. For some reason, I found his random rules hysterical.

Okay, I'm scared for tomorrow's interviews.  Toby Keith is an epic pig and Biden is boring as shit.

Biden is awesome. He is genuinely funny. One of the best pols to interview. I think it should be a good interview.

Toby Keith is a jackhole though.

• Love 5

Toby Keith is a jackhole though.

Ugh. I can't even LOOK at that.  He doesn't just act like a pig, he looks like one too.

sept10_keith.jpg

That's just the P.R. pic the show used for him. Funnier is this old album cover.

Toby-Keith-Toby-Keith-1993-Front-Cover-7

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

I'll give Episode #2 the same comment found on my last employee performance review:

Error rate is acceptable, and all work is completed timely.

Next milestone:

Takes pride in work and strives to improve work performance.

:)

Edited by kib
  • Love 7

I liked the second segment with Scarlett Johansson when she and Stephen asked the "deep" questions lying on the blanket.  Following the skit Clooney did last night, it makes sense that Stephen would give actors at least a brief opportunity to act.   He and Scarlett were funny in that scene I thought.

"Would you rather have hands for feet or feet for hands?" Ha.

I liked the "rules" sketch also, especially the one about music being sold In Starbucks.

I do agree the Tesla guy didn't seem to be going along with the fun, though his alternative energy plans are admirable of course.  However, it seemed like they were getting into the swing of pacing the show as far as I can tell, Stephen must be relieved to be through the premiere night, especially after the computer crash at CBS!

I think Biden will be fine.  I remember a fun appearance he made on TCR when I think they served hot dogs or something to the audience (maybe they were service members?)

• Love 2

Okay, I'm scared for tomorrow's interviews.  Toby Keith is an epic pig and Biden is boring as shit.

Love Uncle Joe! You never know what he will say.

Agree on Toby Keith though. Ugh.

Only caught a portion of the show tonight. Not interested in the guests.

I'll keep tuning in.

• Love 1

Late to the party about the first episode, just got to watch it ! 

No one has mentioned the Star Spangled Banner opening? Jon! I can't believe that choked me up. Seeing Jon, not the anthem.

It took Larry Wilmore months to get the format right on The Nightly Show. Stephen has more experience hosting his own show and I expect it won't take him as long, but it will take time. I didn't love the opening stand up bit but it did differentiate this show from TCR..

First, thank you for Larry Wilmore. I gave up on his show a month in. I'll try again because I really love Larry so it was frustrating to bail on him but it was too clumsy for me, I couldn't make sense of the debat at the end, so if they found their groove, I'll be back with real pleasure!

I really liked the first episode but it's the first time I watch a Late Show thingy so I'm not bored with the format yet even if it's contrived for promotion. 

I cried of hapiness a lot for the five first minutes between Jon, the shield and Colbert mentionning his Mom (his hommage to her when he came back from his "mourning hiatus" still haunts me, I wish I could have written something so beautiful for my father's eulogy), I felt home again. I was a mess. A really happy happy mess. 

Edited by Pollock
  • Love 2

It's been probably mentioned before, but it's weird he does the monologue first, announces the guests, and then the intro comes when they announce the guests again.

I just can't wait for him to sit and do the sketches. It reminds me so much of the Colbert Report.

The hat segment was great, but it's kind of like BilL Maher's New Rules.

Still watching, since it's not over on the west coast.

Edited by amsel
  • Love 1

I liked that he had Elon Musk on for an interview. The guy is working on some interesting stuff. I wish they'd talked about the hyperloop. I know he's not super charismatic, but I thought he was amusing enough. He kept up with the snark, even if he delivered it in a subtle way.

I think it would be hard to be Colbert's announcer and/or sidekick. I think it's fine if he does his own announcing. I watched Seth Meyers tonight and he didn't seem to have an announcer, either. Moreover, he gave his monologue from the desk (though I've sene him do it standing, also).

The show was much blander and less ambitious tonight, but I actually found it less annoying. Though, admittedly, it also bored me.

I'm looking forward to Biden. I agree he's a wildcard. One of the few politicians who doesn't stay on script.

He seems to want to do the interviews the way he did on TCR, where he leads all the questions and barely lets the guest talk.

I think if that's his style the old setup worked a lot better for him than the typical desk by the couch thing. The guest is used to a certain kind of conversation while facing and talking to the audience at the same time, not just him. It was kind of funny how ScarJo shushed him.

I think he should change that setup, maybe have him and the guest in chairs only, Dick Cavett style. That would work better for the kinds of one on one interviews he wants to do.

Edited by Ruby25
  • Love 1

It appears the prescripted interview gags are here to stay. I know the old guys had their wacky bits that would have gone viral had Youtube been around, but this seems like more of what Fallon does. Stephen needs to chill during the interviews and just talk and listen. For an improv guy you'd think he'd be better at that. I suppose he's used to doing them in character and for a shorter amount of time, but talking over the guests isn't going to cut it.

He's always been a little interrupt-y, but he seems shot out of a cannon these first couple episodes. Hopefully once he settles in, the adrenaline will slow a bit and he can be more conversational. With his Stephen wit thrown in, of course.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I like the dancing intro. I'm not sure I'm into the band or bandleader. (Reggie Watts, who I couldn't care for before he joined The Late Late Show, has ruined all bandleaders for me. He's terrific, but without distracting you from the host.)

Also, I wonder how much Colbert will spend on the presidential candidates.

(What I like about Kimmel is that he addresses current and pop-cultural events almost immediately after they happen. Last night, he took down Apple, which was the

big news of Wednesday.)

But, hey, Colbert got huge ratings. I wonder how much of a dropoff there'll be after Night 1.

Did anyone watch the credits to see if any familiar Letterman names where there? I didn't see anything in IMDB but that doesn't have a full list. I can't help thinking the pacing and long overruns wouldn't have happened if Barbara Gaines was there.

The nod to Biff was nice, but why not retain a stage manager with decades of experience, even in that very theater? I don't know shit so this is completely speculative, but I do wonder if any of the 150+ Letterman staffers were re-hired.

Per IMDB, the four listed EPs who aren't Stephen and Jon are all from TCR. Makes sense, but also maybe an outside perspective would help.

• Love 2

The nod to Biff was nice, but why not retain a stage manager with decades of experience, even in that very theater? I don't know shit so this is completely speculative, but I do wonder if any of the 150+ Letterman staffers were re-hired.

From what I've read, very few Letterman staffers were carried over. The ones that were are mostly stagehands and other theater employees, since they worked for CBS rather than Worldwide Pants. Pat Farmer & Harold Larkin are still there for example.

The biggest surprise from these first two episodes is that Stephen is not doing a very good job with the interviews. I know this is a small sample size, but going in I figured that would be the one thing that he'd have nailed right out of the gate, even if some of the more creative aspects would need reconfiguring.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 3