Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Episode Twelve/S01.E13: Episode Thirteen

Two Hour Season Finale!

The team's handler sends the crew on another mission to retrieve a scientist being held against his will.

and

Crew members are targeted, and paranoia mounts as they search for the perpetrator; the person responsible for the mind-wipe makes a move.

• Love 1

I haven't been into the last few episodes of this show, but I have to admit that I was shocked as hell that it was Six. Like Five, I thought that it was Two. Unfortunately, I feel like the writers decided it was Six two episodes ago rather than it being the plan all along. The way Roger Cross played Six all along indicates to me that he did not have a clue. Regardless. it will be interesting to see how the writers explain this so I hope the show gets another season.

I forgot to add: Roger Cross was working that wifebeater.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

OH HELLZ NO. I DO NOT LIKE.

We better get a season 2, because I totally need to hear Six's excuses. Although man does look fine in a tank...

I was starting to think that Five was the one -- she wasn't really locked in the bridge. Three even said don't let anyone in but us, so she could have opened the door.  And the way Five was talking at certain times she seemed to doing devious stuff, but I'm sure that was intentional, but Six ?

I wasn't impressed by all the time wasted in the finale of searching the ship for the umpteenth time -- sure it gave everyone a chance to amp up the paranoia, but they sure have put more effort into the story.

• Love 3

In my opinion, Five erased their memories and Six is turning himself and the crew in because of the planet's destruction. He was angry and Four tried to tell him to let it go but he couldn't, it was another 15,000 lives on his conscience. Now if Five did erase their memories, she did it to protect someone but I don't know if it was Six or the others. Now if we take the recording at face value, it was to protect one of the guys (excluding Four) or Five wanted to give Two a second chance and to keep her from making a huge mistake.

Now unlike certain people on here I don't hate/dislike any of the actors or the characters they play. I really enjoy when they interact with each other, it can be quite funny.

I just really enjoy the show in general, flaws and all. So I do hope that there is a 2nd season.

• Love 13

Damn, Six. Damn.  For a while, I thought Five had figured out that Six was the culprit and she was playing along. I honestly didn't believe that she believed "their" Two would harm the crew.

Five deleted Android's back-up.  That was so juvenile. I don't understand how she has the authority -- let alone the moral-ethical right -- to do that.

That whole sequence where Two and Three suspected that One had taken down Four made no sense.  Three was sitting outside One's room the entire time!

Original Two and Four were hardcore. Like, extra-hardcore. Next season I want more of Two & Four and Two & Android.  The rescue/escape in ep 12 was a season highlight and instant-replay event for me.  (Zoie Palmer has fantastic body control!)

I am a bit confused about who exactly did the memory wipe.  Was it actually Five or was Six trying to convince her to cover his tracks? I think it WAS Five, and the deletion of back-up Android was a sort of foreshadowing of her adolescent, impetuous decision-making. The two situations were very similar: Don't like people not getting along? Write a code to fix them!

Edited by DEM
  • Love 4

Five deleted Android's back-up.  That was so juvenile.

Or it could be a fake out by the writers. That seems to be their MO. The actress playing Five was 19 during filming of the pilot, but she'll be 21 during season 2. Maybe the writers are morphing her character into being a mature adult in an innocent child's body. Maybe she's a successful brain transplant. The old boss guy seemingly dying in Will Wheaton's facility was told his body was just 24 years old. Maybe they will make Five a rival corporation's successful result of the same tech.

Are we still supposed to be confused about the recording Five hid before her memory wipe and then found and played in this episode? Who was Two talking to in the recording? I think Six was right and being honest when he said Five didn't mean to hurt anyone when she accidentally (I think?) wiped memories. Even though she was dragged off by the Galactic Goon Squad too, she will probably be deemed innocent in their eyes, and Six knows that.

Are we still supposed to be confused about the recording Five hid before her memory wipe and then found and played in this episode? Who was Two talking to in the recording?

Two was talking to Four in the recording (hence my 'hardcore' comment).  The big question is the identity of their target.

Going back to ep12: This highlighted and confirmed a problem I have with Two's characterisation.  When Wil Wheaton said that Two killed 43 people upon awakening in order to make her escape, that made perfect sense to me.  Empathy, remorse, and other prosocial emotions and behaviour have to be shaped. Sure, the seeds are there, but anyone who's spent any time around developing children know those inclinations have to be nurtured and reinforced. Birthing a full-grown adult in captivity is just begging for trouble.  In any case, if that's the way Two behaved upon waking, there should have been no "nice person" to fall back on when her memories were erased.  For the most part, the personalities of the rest of the crew matched what we learned about them pre-wipe.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 6

Wow, that was pretty terrible.  Two's stay with Will Wheaton couldn't have been any less exciting.  Then I lost count of the number of times they searched the ship in the finale.  I think the only worthwhile thing in these last two episodes was Android being a boss and just walking straight off the Marauder.  

• Love 6

That contributed to the sketchy behavior that made me think it was Five all along.  Why else would she do that ?

Five has seemed sketchy to me since Episode One. Heh.  MissLucas almost convinced me that she wasn't as needy and emotionally impulsive as I believed her to be, but I have been vindicated!  But yeah, deleting the back-up without even bothering to ask whether she had seen who zapped Android did come across very shady.

By the way, the Galactic Authority officer walking beside Six was the same guy Six!Clone met in the bunker in Episode Eight. Perhaps Six was recruited then?  I had wondered at the time where that guy disappeared to.

• Love 5

I don't think that Five was being sketchy in deleting Android 2. She might have asked her if she saw who attacked the android but since Android 2 said that she wasn't connected to the ship Five might not have thought of it. And she was trying to keep the Android from being reset. Maybe it was silly to worry about that but who knows.

I assumed that Two and Four were talking about 6. That they had discovered that he was connected to the GA in some way and that 5 had deleted the memories to protect him. I'm not sure why else the GA officers would allow him to walk freely at the end. (Although the recruitment at the pods is possible).

I suppose their only hope now is that android has some super, super secret backup so that she will save them. If that is the case they will be lucky Five didn't listen to android 2.

• Love 3

While I don't want to go and say that I always had Six as my prime suspect (I bounced around with him, Two, and Five), I always did get suspicious over how he was always tended to be on the side closest to right or reason, so I wasn't too surprised he was the one taking everyone out.  I still wonder if he was the one who actually caused them to loose their memories though.  We'll see, but there could be more to this, I suspect.  I do wonder what his deal is.  Was he always against them?  Or is this betrayal only just happening?

Of course, I'm really curious as to who Two and I think Four apparently were planning to off, before they lost their own memories.  My first theory was Six, and maybe it was Five who created the memory-wipe code, in order to make them forget whatever turned them against him, but I guess it could be either One or Three as well.  Maybe they found out One's true identity back then, and wanted to kill him.  Or Three did something shitty as always.  The possibilities are endless!

Oh, yeah, I forgot there was another episode before this!  Basically, we got a whole bunch of back-story involving Two, which includes her creator being an Evil Bearded Wil Wheaton (the best kind of Wheaton!), him being cagey for the reason she was created, that she apparently killed 43 people in her break-out, and this all involves some dying man in a mask, that has to speak through a computer.  Yeah, I got nothing.  I'm guessing all this will be brought back up in a potential S2, especially since Evil Bearded Wil Wheaton managed to escape.

This might have actually been the most I ever liked One, because his "Seriously?!" reactions anytime someone accused him, made me laugh.  Between this and last week's episode, I think One works better when his whiny behavior is used as humor instead of moralizing.

If we do get a second season, I really am going to do a drinking game anytime the Android gets knocked out.  At least she got her Terminator on in the first episode, but she really needs a protective shield or something.

• Love 4

Android:  I'm here to rescue Two. 

Lab Guard:  Oh, good thing there's a pane of glass here in the middle of the room for no reason.

[Android throws Lab Guard through pane of glass.]

----

Two: Someone injected Six.

Three:  I was sitting outside One's room the entire time.  There's no way he could have gotten past me.  Therefore, it must have been One!

Two:  By jove, you're right!

• Love 10

I assumed that Two and Four were talking about 6. That they had discovered that he was connected to the GA in some way and that 5 had deleted the memories to protect him.

That makes sense, but was it supposed to be obvious? I forgot that I should not watch complicated plots on Friday nights. I dose off for a few seconds and miss the whole reveal.

I suppose their only hope now is that android has some super, super secret backup so that she will save them. If that is the case they will be lucky Five didn't listen to android 2.

Well, they had those throwaway/Chekhovian lines between Six and Five when he said, "I didn't know you could program," and she replied, "Neither did I." So Five could have written a backup for Android and even hid it under a table again. Maybe there will be a retcon-ish flashback next season repeating that Six and Five exchange about her programming talents followed by Six suggesting she write a backup for Android.

Another possible Chekhov moment was when Five banged her head on the table and Four asked what she was doing, to which she replied that she was looking for her nebulizer. Maybe Four had already figured it out, or remembered it, or...? Or maybe it was just supposed to be one of those whew!-that-was-close! moments.

The recording of Lin and Tetsuda agreeing to kill "him" was made before the memory wipe. Jones is likely correct that Das did the memory erase to forestall the plot. My guess is that her plan failed because the mode of execution was Android, who was already programmed to kill whoever was up and about. My guess is that the intended target was Moss, because his imposture as Corso had been discovered. He was programmed to awaken first, and get killed. Then upon her awakening Lin would give the safe word to Android (safer for her given her superior physical abilities too.) 

Jones has not actually damaged anybody physically, which I'm sure means something. Simpler just to shoot everyone rather than this elaborate scheme to take them out in a controlled fashion. DEM said, "By the way, the Galactic Authority officer walking beside Six was the same guy Six!Clone met in the bunker in Episode Eight. Perhaps Six was recruited then?  I had wondered at the time where that guy disappeared to." If that dude was in the General's bunker, he's most likely a rebel...despite the GA uniforms. Which leads me to think Jones is offering up the Raza to the rebellion for access to the General. The GA is not likely to make deals with Griffin Jones, suspect in the "terrorist" bombing that killed 10 000 people. I think his plan is to execute the General, then release his friends, who were put on ice so they couldn't object to his "plan." Since this plan could have been hatched on I Love Lucy, I suppose he'll need their help when it goes awry. 

The interesting question is how Griffin, the guy who stole the Raza, ended up with the rest of this motley bunch. 

• Love 2

By the way, the Galactic Authority officer walking beside Six was the same guy Six!Clone met in the bunker in Episode Eight. Perhaps Six was recruited then?  I had wondered at the time where that guy disappeared to.

Thanks so much for that! I assumed we had seen him before from the way the shot was done, but I 'm wretched with faces...

Welp, that was somewhat disappointing. I think in part because too much about the memory wipe was uneven in the characterization this season (why did Four react so viscerally to things he didn't remember, or did Five tell him every bit she could (and if so, it really would have been nice to have a shot (couple second pan would have done it) that suggested that took place)? and was that enough? see also One's reaction after his own identity discovery, where he actually considers murdering Three... and if the fact that the situation indicates the crew was supposed to wipe out the miners in episode 2 and there would most likely be dire personal consequences for not doing so wasn't enough to get hardened mercenaries to murder in ep 2, then why is the suggestion that revenge murder was One's original goal enough to make him consider it that seriously now? or Three's reaction to Sarah's death?), and in the portrayal of the characters themselves, but also because they seem to be too fond of the twists and less concerned with the path they take to get there. I found the pacing and some of the reveals just off in ep 13, for example. The ship searching just dragged on, and it does not bode well when people still have to ask who did the wipe post reveal, just saying.

Um... but on the up side, I really liked the "And Then There Were None" nod. So not all bad.

Assuming the guys who boarded the ship were actually the GA troops the crew spotted coming their way and not some third party, I can come up with three soso solutions for Six's behavior at this point:

1) He was an undercover officer for the GA both at the time of the rebels blowing up that station, and in the present day on the Raza. Presumably his memory was wiped with the rest of them, because he passed Android's test. As DEM caught, the guy in the general's base is the GA commander at the end of the episode, so maybe he's an undercover GA officer embedded with the rebels, and he informs Six that Six was an undercover GA plant on the Raza, where he was sent after the GA moved in and stopped his suicide attempt post station bombing, sent him to counseling, and then decided to use the situation to their advantage (his cover wasn't blown, but he could no longer be used with the rebels).

Past weirdness this solves: the scene where Five tells Six she now knows she can "trust him" after the dream stuff, where Six finds out he was used to blow up the station and then takes out his entire crew. He jumps out of the sequence at the point where it's shown that he failed to commit suicide, but she might have seen more. Because I remember after that scene thinking "Sure, because nothing says trustworthy like capping the people you work with and were celebrating with 2 minutes ago." But I've found Five so wretchedly uneven, that most WTFery there just makes me sigh and sadly not take it seriously. (I blame the characterization first and foremost, but the acting isn't helping.) And secondly, if he were suicidal and surrounded by weapons, why he didn't just grab the next one lying two feet away.

But I think this means either needing more regular cast next year (which I doubt will happen), or a lot less of Roger Cross, so I'd like to think it won't be the explanation. Unless the memory wipe is enough to make him reverse himself and save the crew, but post planet explosion, I don't see that happening.

Annoyance this causes, as SimoneS upthread pointed out, this wasn't how Roger Cross played the character (either post dream or post clone ep - the two logical points for him to figure out his role), so that's down to the stupid secrecy showrunners feel they need, and as usual at the cost of their own stories. Trust your craftsmen! At least give RC a heads up, and he'll build that into the character. Not doing so is a disservice to your actors and viewers alike. (From reading Mallozzi's blog, I gather he knew the ending well in advance, but basically no one else did.)

2) He wasn't undercover, but having just helped facilitate the deaths of 15K people, he feels guilty and takes action, negotiating the surrender of the Raza and crew for his release. But then I'd still expect him to be under guard at the end there, so less satisfying in portrayal.

3) This is part of his elaborate scheme to heist a GA cruiser. He's done it in the past, and he's doing it again now, but once again, as a solution it would feel forced in terms of the depiction. There's basically no need to force this execution (mutual suspicion) on the others, unless they're not going along with his plan. In which case he's seriously putting them in harm's way, which wouldn't fit with what we've been shown of his character.

On the upside, this should put the breaks on One & Two schmoopiness.

Other niggly bits - Two's soft and fluffy nature... well, not quite, but still DEM's empathy point raised above is valid.

My assumptions post finale - Five did the wipe, probably to save One or Six, who had been uncovered as impostors (show gripe: why the hell would you (Two and Four) sit down with someone to just say "he" needs to be iced? wouldn't there be talk leading up to that? or did they sleep on it and reconvene???). The explanation that the robot had been set to kill by Two and Four above nicely explains why One woke first. But Three's was the only awakening we didn't see and he came armed, so he might have been the target (and the actual first to wake?) or in on the plan. If Six was revealed as an UC for GA, then perhaps he made a suggestion to make the Android more "nice" which Five implemented in a kludgey fashion and it's affecting her nanites. Those have been shown in ep 12 to be similar to Two's and also similarly vulnerable, so maybe that's how Android got glitchy and Two got nicer?

Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 3

Clearly I am over thinking this, but...

New and improved solution moving forward: Six was undercover as in example one above. Next the GA and the megacorps try to lay the blame for the planetary explosion squarely at the Raza's feet, and Six becomes frustrated that the corps aren't being held accountable at all (there are at least two that should be, per Two's analysis of the situation) while the crew face serious consequences (like dismantling in Two's case). Unable to bear the injustice and hypocrisy, he then assists the crew in escaping. We resume our story on board, where trust issues ensue.

• Love 1

That contributed to the sketchy behavior that made me think it was Five all along.  Why else would she do that ?

She likes the android the way it is. I don't think she needs a deeper reason than that. Especially because she's a teenager -- long term consequences are not her thing.

I thought it was Four who would be faking a coma through some special meditation trick (because Space Japan). Very happy they didn't go that way. I admit that In all other respects, he wasn't a good candidate, e.g., cutting a deal with the  GA. would be impossible for him I think. 

I think in the recording Two and Four were talking about getting rid of One. Because I think his cover was blown by then (he's not that competent). My runner up possibility is that Six was undercover for the GA back then, and only just found out about it/figured it out. and decided to resume his mission.

So, it will probably turn out to be Three they were talking about. :-)

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4

I gave up trying to figure out the mystery of the memory wipe because I don't think that writers have a clue and that they are making it up as they go along. 

She likes the android the way it is. I don't think she needs a deeper reason than that. Especially because she's a teenager -- long term consequences are not her thing.

I agree. Five has tried to convince the Android that she is fine the way that she is and not defective. She got visibly upset when the Android Projection talked about "fixing" the Android so she made sure that could never happen by having the Projection delete itself. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

I think in the recording Two and Four were talking about getting rid of One. Because I think his cover was blown by then (he's not that competent). My runner up possibility is that Six was undercover for the GA back then, and only just found out about it/figured it out. and decided to resume his mission.

So, it will probably turn out be Three they were talking about. :-)

One's cover may have been blown but until will get further back story on him it is a so what thing. The Two and Four we know now would not be the emotional types to act just because they have been deceived, the was Three's thing. Six as a deep cover GA agent or confidential informant forced to work to clear his name because of the station destruction on the other hand is a big threat.

So how do we get out of this. Why the Dirty Dozen scenario. Some suicide mission where the secretary will disavow you if you fail. Six in the Lee Marvin and Richard Jaeckel roles of the good guy that goes along with the condemned on the mission.? Perhaps One's corporation is extremely powerful and they take over the Raza bunch.This can go alot of ways in season two and now to avoid spoiler mode since the mystery

One's cover may have been blown but until will get further back story on him it is a so what thing. The Two and Four we know now would not be the emotional types to act just because they have been deceived, the was Three's thing.

Good point. If they actually knew who One was, I could see them ransoming him back to his corp, but not killing him. (Who all had "kidnapping" on their rap sheets? Be ironic if it was everybody but Two and Four...) I can't see them needing to act like that just because they thought he was a random impostor, unless they caught hints of Six's UC-ness and mistakenly attributed it to One, thinking he was the cop? But still: One's not stunningly competent, so... Probably talking about Six.

So how do we get out of this. Why the Dirty Dozen scenario.

I like that idea better than mine. I think (as far as we know) Six's supposed crimes were really the only ones from which I couldn't picture a way back, and if he was UC, then that becomes moot and they become open to negotiations/cutting a deal.

I thought it was Four who would be faking a coma through some special meditation trick (because Space Japan). Very happy they didn't go that way.

Four's deep mediatation to conserve oxygen could have been Chekhov's Fake Stasis Without Mind Wipe if not for the reality of:

I gave up trying to figure out the mystery of the memory wipe because I don't think that writers have a clue and that they are making it up as they go along.

• Love 3

One's cover may have been blown but until will get further back story on him it is a so what thing. The Two and Four we know now would not be the emotional types to act just because they have been deceived, the was Three's thing. Six as a deep cover GA agent or confidential informant forced to work to clear his name because of the station destruction on the other hand is a big threat.

Well perhaps they thought One was a GA agent (instead of a rich dude trying to be Space Batman--which would not be their first guess). It would be kind of amusing to see Six's frustration at an "amateur" undercover operative blowing his operation.

Either way, perhaps Five went to Six about the recording and they did the stasis program thing together? Back when they all had their own memories, he probably seemed even more like the only trustworthy one.

I wonder if Six will turn on the GA after they decide to prosecute Five for something major, when he expected they would let her walk.

• Love 1

Ah - well played show. And by that I don't mean having Six being the traitor (though it was a surprise) but all the nifty stuff placed in the penultimate episode which now gets somehow lost because everybody is upset that our favorite teddybear-terrorist has turned on the crew.

Interesting detail about the Raza-crew pre memory-wipe: Three claimed that he was joking about airlocking Five. One and Six wanted to keep her on board, Two and Three wanted her off. It was Four's vote that kept Five on board (another surprise).

I loved the Android being awesome when taking out the facility. And how happy she looked during the celebration afterwards. That said, I really think she should somehow improve her security protocols. Agreed on this:

If we do get a second season, I really am going to do a drinking game anytime the Android gets knocked out.  At least she got her Terminator on in the first episode, but she really needs a protective shield or something.

I always love evil bearded Will Wheaton - though he did not come across as all-out evil. (He! I just noticed that he's called 'Alex' - that was the name of his hacker nemesis on 'Leverage'.) Evil boss seems to the creepy guy residing in the 24 year old body (wtf?). Guy just put a hit on the whole crew of the Raza including the two people probably save from prosecution by the GA: One and Five. Makes me wonder if his organization (or race???) has the clout to infiltrate the GA.

All in all I found episode 12 much more entertaining (I hate 'there's-traitor-among-us-but-no-way-we're-sticking-together plots).

I had no problems with Five ordering Red Android to delete itself. She wanted to make sure original Android would not reset herself upon hearing Red Androids final assessment. I wonder if there's more to the Android's malfunction than meets the eye or if it's just there to fulfill the sci-fi trope of an AI longing for emotions. 

It looks as if we're to assume that Five pulled the memory wipe in order to protect the person Two and Four had agreed to kill. If she really did write such a program why did she include herself? Was that a malfunction? Or did she anticipate that they would use the Android as lie detector?

What if she tipped off Six about the plan to get rid of him (assuming they were talking about him and not One or Three) and he pulled the memory wipe in order to protect himself from their murderous asses but also to free himself of all the guilt he's carrying around. Of all the folks on the ship he's the only one who really wanted to escape his past. But now that the memories came back he turned them all in. Only fault with this theory: he was not arrested.

Ah - well it's been a fun (occasionally somewhat bumpy) ride - let's hope for a second season!

• Love 2

Mallozzi sat for a post-finale interview with thetvjunkies.  He confirmed that we should take the scene between Five & Six at face value: Five wiped the crew's memories. Furthermore, as Android said in ep3, the original intent likely was not to wipe everyone's memories, but because the code was crude shit happened.

Frankly, I hope Five's erasure of Android's back-up/analysis projection blows up in her face in S2.  The implications of Five erasing everyone's memories seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. (There's a great irony in Five arguing all season long for respect and a right to self-determination.)  I'm still intrigued by the question of why Android went on the attack in ep1, especially now that JM suggested in his interview that Two and Four were targeting either One or Six. Given that he omitted Three and given that Three was the first person Android attacked (Six wasn't yet in the room), I have to wonder whether Android had experienced persistent glitches that Two hadn't been able to correct, so the crew stored Android away.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 3

Android:  I'm here to rescue Two. 

Lab Guard:  Oh, good thing there's a pane of glass here in the middle of the room for no reason.

[Android throws Lab Guard through pane of glass.]

----

Two: Someone injected Six.

Three:  I was sitting outside One's room the entire time.  There's no way he could have gotten past me.  Therefore, it must have been One!

Two:  By jove, you're right!

That cracked me up. But, the glass might have been a smart glass privacy screen? (They turn opaque or clear on the addition or removal of current. Whichever.) It was a dressing room, and the glass was placed right in front of the door. But obvs mostly because it looked cool. Pfft.

The second one was a blink and you miss it shot of Three dozing open mouthed in front of One's door only to wake when Five screamed (when she found Six unconscious). Three'd have been too proud to state as much, but it's why he thought One was still possibly in play as a suspect. I like that the actor didn't oversell it and snore, drool and wipe sleep from his eyes, but it was quick. (I've complained a lot, so let me say I honestly appreciate a show that rewards me for actually watching and paying attention instead of surfing while it's on. Now go tell the #SyFy execs that's why viewers don't live tweet more. Although it's probably because that's insipid.)

I liked Latverian Diplomat's speculation on Five's potential prosecution being the reason Six turns and begins helping the crew again. The last thing he says to her is "I'll be fine," significant pause, "and so will you. Promise." That'll have meaning.

I'd love for DEM's spec to pay off that the memory wiping will bite Five in the backside, but I get the feeling "she's a kid" and gets a pass from our anti-heros. There really should be fallout. Especially after she's all: pre-wipe Lin is evil!bad and wanted to kill someone (seriously? no kidding. have you seen their wanted posters?), so she's evil now. Either people are forgiven (within the group. asking society to forgive them is probably going too far.) for their pre-wipe actions and everyone gets a clean slate, or she needs to be accountable for the wipe. You can't have it both ways. (Ditto One and his desire to murder Three for (possibly!! good grief!) assassinating One's wife.) But Five really worked my nerves this ep (she's gone back and forth on the trust question so often, I'm getting whiplash and do.not.care anymore. especially as she could have left at the stations anytime.), so I'm holding a grudge.

• Love 2

I'm still intrigued by the question of why Android went on the attack in ep1, especially now that JM suggested in his interview that Two and Four were targeting either One or Six. Given that he omitted Three and given that Three was the first person Android attacked (Six wasn't yet in the room), I have to wonder whether Android has experienced persistent glitches that Two hasn't been able to correct, so the crew stored Android away.

The spec upthread that Android would have taken out One as first to awaken works for why 2&4 could have reprogrammed her given they were definitely targeting someone, and One sure isn't the goto guy to wake in case of emergency. Bearing in mind Four-Six were left in stasis for that whole scene. Except she wasn't exactly roaming the halls attacking people; she had to be activated. So maybe Five and Six had set her to keep the crew in check as a backup protection plan, if the mind-wipe didn't take? And who would have been woken first if the Raza had come out of FTL at the planet as expected?

Or, we didn't see the attack start, probably to increase the funny (which worked. Three flying through the air does it for me every time.), but Android didn't attack Six (for a millisecond) until he drew a weapon, so maybe Three had done something that seemed aggressive as well? Was she on the offensive, or just aggressively defensive?

The recording of Lin and Tetsuda agreeing to kill "him" was made before the memory wipe. Jones is likely correct that Das did the memory erase to forestall the plot. My guess is that her plan failed because the mode of execution was Android, who was already programmed to kill whoever was up and about. My guess is that the intended target was Moss, because his imposture as Corso had been discovered. He was programmed to awaken first, and get killed. Then upon her awakening Lin would give the safe word to Android (safer for her given her superior physical abilities too.) 

The interesting question is how Griffin, the guy who stole the Raza, ended up with the rest of this motley bunch. 

This is where I am having problems. Five remembered the recording device and retrieved it, then found about the pre-memory wipe murder plot. The device was still where she had originally planted it. As far as I can tell that means that pre-memory wipe she had no idea about the murder plot so it couldn't have been what prompted her to try the memory wipe. Unless prior to planting the device in the first place she had caught wind of it. Then why plant the device if she already knew?

BTW, as far I know Griffin/Six stole a GA cruiser, not the Raza. The speculation that the GA cruiser that showed up was actually the one Six had stolen for the rebellion and this is all part of a plan to get revenge on the General is an interesting one.

Episode 13 did have a bit too much filler in the beginning. I know they were trying to build some tension with the conduit crawl but unless we know there is a drooling xenomorph lurking in there it's not going to work too well. Also, the sheer numbers of GA agents swarming the Raza was perhaps a little too reminiscent of the Blues Brothers (hut hut hut hut).

Regarding Episode 12, I did like the ending with the Android sitting in with the rest and trying to decide whether she should attempt join in with a celebratory drink, or at least go through the motions.

Edited by Terrafamilia
  • Love 2
Mallozzi sat for a post-finale interview with thetvjunkies.  He confirmed that we should take the scene between Five & Six at face value: Five wiped the crew's memories. Furthermore, as Android said in ep3, the original intent likely was not to wipe everyone's memories, but because the code was crude shit happened.

What was odd about his explanation is it seemed that he was saying that she didn't intend to wipe everyone's memories with the emphasis on everyone.  So she was planning on wiping 2 and 4 and it somehow spread?  How would that work I wonder.

He also seems to imply pretty strongly that they have, in fact, been captured by the GA and it is not some fakeout by Six.

I have no problem with thinking Das merely downloaded data from the bug, that like contemporary listening devices you don't necessarily have to physically retrieve them and learn nothing before you do. Admittedly, the timing is tight for discovering the plot then carrying out the memory wipe, but that actually helps support the thesis of a program ruined by haste. 

If the GA was real, the guy had to be an undercover agent of GA, which suggests that the GA knew Jones "only" tried to steal a warship, and didn't plan to bomb a military base. Seeing Jones kill the clone may have convinced the GA spy to trust Jones to try to do in the real General. But if the General's outfit has been penetrated by undercover GA security at that level, then the General is probably pretty much doomed anyhow. I suspect that they will somehow convince themselves that Jones, with the Raza as bait, is somehow a better play, ignoring the downside after the General gets his hands on the Raza but survives. 

There is no reason for Das, Moss, Android to be in any prison; running Jones against the General would keep him free; Rebecca/Lin would be in a laboratory, not a prison; Boone could be in any prison in the galaxy; Tetsuda would be extradited. Being in a real GA prison should be the end of the show!

Edited by sjohnson
There is no reason for Das, Moss, Android to be in any prison; running Jones against the General would keep him free; Rebecca/Lin would be in a laboratory, not a prison; Boone could be in any prison in the galaxy; Tetsuda would be extradited. Being in a real GA prison should be the end of the show!

Well android obviously won't be in a prison but let's not forget that 1, 3, and 5 have all committed serious crimes since the season started including attacking those corporate soldiers in the beginning and progressing to breaking into a space lab and killing all sorts of people etc.  Two only goes to a biolab if they rat her out.  3 has just committed several major crimes etc. 4 is the only tricky one although I suppose it is possible that even in that world extradition takes a long time.  So the question would be would they get out in time before 2 and 4 are really turned in.

I don't think 6 was thinking things through when he told 5 she would be okay.  She was at least the accomplice to a lot of heavy duty criminal activity.  I doubt the GA would look too kindly on that.

Edited by call me ishmael

I'm not a big fan of keeping actors in the dark about their arcs a but there you go. Whilst I can't find fault with Six's motivation (i.e. they set that up properly when he talked to Four in the Marauder) I'm still struggling with the final scene. He was obviously not arrested - so was he a GA agent infiltrating the General's cell? And when Four and Two figured that out they decided to kill him?

If this show gets a second season they really need to expand their world-building. We don't really know what the GA is and if being an agent for them makes Six a hero or not. From what I remember there as slight whiff of fascism surrounding them. They have not taken part in the dispute between the Republic of Pyr and Four's home-world the principality of Zairon. But I don't think that means they would not extradite Four. We also don't know if they're in cahoots with creepy ICU guy.

And speaking of things we don't know: let's not forget the Traugott corporation. They really are the worst, first they come up with a zombie virus (in the search of immortality) and now they've built a doomsday device. I suspect creepy ICU guy is somehow connected to Traugott corp. According to Alex the tech behind Two would make her virtually immortal and some of the dialog between him and his boss sounded as if these folks found a way to preserve your mind once the body gives out and have it implanted in another body though from the looks of it there are severe side-effects.

Provided we get a second season I suspect the show won't linger too long on legal matters. Creepy ICU guy's kill squad will arrive and somehow force the crew back together - there will be trust issues.

Provided we get a second season I suspect the show won't linger too long on legal matters. Creepy ICU guy's kill squad will arrive and somehow force the crew back together - there will be trust issues.

Let us hope. From your keyboard to God's screen, as it were. The GA Penn possibility has made me realize I have little interest in seeing Orange is the New Black/ Prison Break/ Oz/ or even The Dirty Dozen all new and improved space versions. Basically, I think jails pretty much bore me as a locus dramaticus.

Speaking of god... thanks to everyone who put "Traugott" into print. (It wasn't what I thought they were saying, so I'd have missed that.) "Traugott" is german for "trust god," so clearly they'll be evil while trying to attain immortality. Makes perfect sense. ;-)

I kinda loved how, Six excluded, everyone was being dragged off by the Galactic Authority in numeric order..

Good "Ketch." Edited by krimimimi
  • Love 2

My new drinking game -- Every time someone zaps the Android, take a drink.

Oh, geez, please NOT a One/Two/Three triangle, show. I hate triangles.

My speculation is that Five heard the recording about the plotted murder and assumed it was Six they were going to kill. But it will probably be One they were gonna off, cause they figured out he was an impostor. Five created the program to mess with their memories in an attempt to protect Six but something went wrong with her plan and the memory wipe went further than she was expecting.

Or another theory -- Six could've been undercover for the GA all along. Or, after the terrorist bombing he was blamed for, the GA captured him and offered him a deal if he'd help bring in the Raza members. Perhaps he''s been faking amnesia all this time.

• Love 1

My new drinking game -- Every time someone zaps the Android, take a drink.

My speculation is that Five heard the recording about the plotted murder and assumed it was Six they were going to kill. But it will probably be One they were gonna off, cause they figured out he was an impostor. Five created the program to mess with their memories in an attempt to protect Six but something went wrong with her plan and the memory wipe went further than she was expecting.

Or another theory -- Six could've been undercover for the GA all along. Or, after the terrorist bombing he was blamed for, the GA captured him and offered him a deal if he'd help bring in the Raza members. Perhaps he''s been faking amnesia all this time.

I was thinking the same about the One Two Thee triangle--heh, another number pun.

This all sounds logical to me, except that it would be a retcon for Six to be faking amnesia because he was genuinely affected by seeing his past through Five's visions when they did the brain sharing in "Episode Six."

Speaking of retcons and plot holes: Did they ever explain the body of the dead boy from "Episode Three?"

Well Six could have been an agent and still not know about that. When he memory-walked (or whatever you want to call it) he just 'saw' his actions from an outside POV. He may have ratted on the GA out of a massive guilt trip and will be completely surprised by the warm welcome he gets.

The dead boy, TJ, was a friend of Five - he got shot by some evil goons (what are the odds they were Traugott too) after Five had pick-pocketed a piece of tech from them. They were hiding on the Raza and since Five never managed to get back to TJ to bring him meds he died. It seems a bit odd that Five just left him there once the crew had decided she could stay. She does strike me as the type who would walk right back into the mess and tell these folks 'Btw my friend and fellow stow-away is dead. Could we give him a proper space funeral?'

I have more or less forgotten what the deal with that piece of tech was. Someone (Two? the Android?) identified it - something to do with manipulating black holes (or white ones for that matter)?

• Love 1

Damn it Six! Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! 

But for real, I hope there is a season two. Flaws and all, I enjoyed the hell out of this show, and after that last episode, I REALLY want to know what happens next. 

I am really confused, and am now going to read the rest of the comments, to see if anyone else has figured out what the hell happened. 

• Love 2
I have more or less forgotten what the deal with that piece of tech was. Someone (Two? the Android?) identified it - something to do with manipulating black holes (or white ones for that matter)?

I'm pretty sure it had something to do with other dimensions.  I had this vague thought that Two would turn out to be from elsewhere at the time.  But I may be misremembering or someone may have put a memory blocker on me in stasis.

• Love 1

Well Six could have been an agent and still not know about that. When he memory-walked (or whatever you want to call it) he just 'saw' his actions from an outside POV. He may have ratted on the GA out of a massive guilt trip and will be completely surprised by the warm welcome he gets.

The dead boy, TJ, was a friend of Five - he got shot by some evil goons (what are the odds they were Traugott too) after Five had pick-pocketed a piece of tech from them. They were hiding on the Raza and since Five never managed to get back to TJ to bring him meds he died. It seems a bit odd that Five just left him there once the crew had decided she could stay. She does strike me as the type who would walk right back into the mess and tell these folks 'Btw my friend and fellow stow-away is dead. Could we give him a proper space funeral?'

Way back in Episode Five, Android identified that piece of tech as the "molecular structure is similar to that of a  sub-atomic matrix card but on a much smaller scale", and Android's guess was that it was "part of some larger system designed to access pockets of extra-dimensional space".  Whether that was related to that weapon that destroyed the planet and white hole technology is yet to be seen.

As for TJ's body, it's probably in stasis, or the equivalent of a morgue drawer or a big freezer somewhere on the ship.  Interesting side note: when I looked back at Episode Three when they found TJ's body and put it in the infirmary, you can clearly see TJ's chest moving up and down as the actor breathes in and out.

When David Hewlett says "screwed" I can't help but see Dr. Rodney McKay saying that -- because he said it so often on SGA.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

I hate 'em too, but throwing Three into the mix might be the only thing that makes this "romance" tolerable. One's dead in the water as any kind of romantic lead, and at least Three has that whole bad boy/asshole thing going on.

It would have been preferable if they had not gone with the expected male and female lead hookup, but had waited a season or a season and a half to see not only who Melissa O'Neil had the best chemistry with, but which character meshed with her's in the actual course of the show, because it's just not One.

• Love 4

The recording of Lin and Tetsuda agreeing to kill "him" was made before the memory wipe. Jones is likely correct that Das did the memory erase to forestall the plot. My guess is that her plan failed because the mode of execution was Android, who was already programmed to kill whoever was up and about. My guess is that the intended target was Moss, because his imposture as Corso had been discovered. He was programmed to awaken first, and get killed. Then upon her awakening Lin would give the safe word to Android (safer for her given her superior physical abilities too.)...

I was having trouble following this because I've become accustomed to referring to and thinking of the characters by their numerical names, so I went to IMDb and noticed they no longer include the characters' common names. I'm pretty sure they did have them listed both ways at the beginning of the season.

In other "matters" numerical: Heroes Reborn has a series of short videos. The series title is "Dark Matters," and the individual episodes are titled "Episode One," "Episode Two," and so on. Sound familiar?

Hee.  Since so one's mentioned it, I guess I have to.

I kinda loved how, Six excluded, everyone was being dragged off by the Galactic Authority in numeric order.

Hee! And, while Six wasn't being dragged off by the GA, he did follow them, so the complete crew did pass on our screens in numeric order.

Two only goes to a biolab if they rat her out.

What Six does about Two will probably be an early indication of how far he's willing to go. He knows that Two can escape from basically any situation as long as she doesn't have a field dampener (or whatever it was called) deactivating her nanites. The GA has no reason to stick Two near one of those things because they don't know what she is. If Six stays silent, Two will escape again and he knows that. If he tells the GA what she is, then she'll be tagged for immediate destruction. Presumably she would get rescued in time if so, but even so, I expect that is the point of no return for Six with the rest of the crew. They might possibly forgive his actions in the season finale, but they would not forgive Six telling the GA what Two is. But to not tell the GA is essentially giving Two a free pass to escape, so, Six is going to have to make up his mind.

Especially after she's all: pre-wipe Lin is evil!bad and wanted to kill someone (seriously? no kidding. have you seen their wanted posters?), so she's evil now.

In fairness to Five, "Two was evil before, so she's evil now" wasn't her theory. She said twice that she thought something was done to Two during her time in captivity.

I knew right away it would be Six, because he was the least likely one for viewers to suspect and the one no one in the crew suspected for even a second. (Well, Five too was getting a free pass from the crew on account of her age, but viewers saw her discover the Android and so knew she was in the clear.) And he basically gave himself away in his conversation to Five when they were searching the ship together, not that Five picked up on it, but I did - that comment of his about how everyone still went back to their old selves despite the memory wipe, or some such. I agree with others who feel that his conversation with Four explains his motive: The destruction of the planet was too much for him and it caused him to turn on the crew, just like he turned on his old group when one of them was responsible for a previous atrocity. Remember, he was the only one besides Two who came out against taking that job in the first place (Five was not consulted, probably because One knew that she would side with Two and Six, resulting in a tied vote, and the Android is never asked to vote), so that would increase his bitterness. (I also wonder if that might mean he doesn't have it in for Two like he does One/Three/Four and so maybe that's why he doesn't tell the GA about what Two is - he actually wants her to escape.)

I didn't have a problem with Five getting rid of the Android's backup in principle; it was just a hologram that was completely robotic in nature. I understood why she did it and I even agreed with her - if she didn't dump the hologram, the hologram was going to essentially kill the Android, who is clearly sentient at this point, by insisting on a clean wipe back to factory settings. I think the entire crew would have agreed with Five that the Android should be saved as she is. But I did think it was exceedingly dumb of Five not to question the hologram first about who the traitor was. The hologram was observing the Android, so probably knew it was Six who took out the Android.

So, apart from the plotline with Six, the other big mystery for S2 is why Two was created and what Phase III would have been. I have a feeling the answers to those will further justify her first escape.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
I didn't have a problem with Five getting rid of the Android's backup in principle; it was just a hologram that was completely robotic in nature. I understood why she did it and I even agreed with her - if she didn't dump the hologram, the hologram was going to essentially kill the Android, who is clearly sentient at this point, by insisting on a clean wipe back to factory settings.

HoloDroid could insist all it wanted but, at the end of the day, it had no power to make Android do anything. It could only present findings and advice.  In Episode Ten, the agreement was that Android would talk to the crew if HoloDroid discovered a problem. Android also stated that she was reluctant to restore factory settings because of her consultation with the crew, so I don't see her as one who would go off deleting parts of herself half-cocked and without further consultation.  If Android is sentient and has certain rights/abilities to self-determination -- including self-reflection and self-examination -- then IMO her self-initiated exam protocols shouldn't be deleted just because Five is pissy and wants 'people' to behave the way SHE wants them to.

Bottom Line: The hologram was not Five's to delete.

Edited by DEM

I keep wondering about the "old" 24 year old and the extra dimensional space and two being biologically created. I think they're connected. There is some alien from another dimension inside the 24 year old, but it causes a regular human to breakdown. Evil Wil is trying to create a host body that will be able to hold him safely. Reminds me of Anubus on Stargate.

• Love 3

First things: episode 12 was one of the best of the season. Episode 13 was offensive in its deliberate plot-less runaround so it could leave us with a "cliffhanger". I couldn't believe I had to endure 40 minutes of nothing for 2 minutes of plot. I was so angry with the sheer gall of the writers for producing this crap that I may be done with this show. An interesting premise and the odd good episode doesn't make up for this kind of lack of respect for viewers. If you have a story, tell it. If you don't, then don't make a TV show.

And... why does Four care about reclaiming a throne he doesn't remember having? How dumb is Three? Why did Six... do anything he's ever done? Why do we care about any of these corporations and authorities when there has literally be no world-building whatsoever? What can be worse than a love triangle between these juvenile idiots? (I can answer the last one: a love triangle between characters named One, Two and Three).

self-initiated exam protocols shouldn't be deleted just because Five is pissy and wants 'people' to behave the way SHE wants them to.

I didn't interpret it that way at all. In fact, Five is the one character in this whole thing that makes sense. She was protecting Android. This demonstrates what she's willing to do to protect people - backing up Six's conclusion that it was Five who wiped their memories. Which she clearly did. Six's "betrayal" therefore had nothing to do with Five discovering he wiped their memories. Because she did.

I didn't have a problem with Five getting rid of the Android's backup in principle; it was just a hologram that was completely robotic in nature. I understood why she did it and I even agreed with her - if she didn't dump the hologram, the hologram was going to essentially kill the Android, who is clearly sentient at this point, by insisting on a clean wipe back to factory settings

Exactly. And the hologram may not have been able to force Android to do anything, but that's not really the point. Since Android programed hologram it was highly likely she would take on board the hologram's recommendations. That's why she created it in the first place and why Five got her to delete that recommendation before she went offline.

• Love 1