Type keyword(s) to search

Season Two Anticipation: More Limpets? Or a Feast of a Different Cuisine?

cooksdelight
  • Start Topic

Season Two has been cast, but when/where/how the show will air is anyone's guess. I suspect they will start filming in October somewhere cold, where weather is harsh and wildlife is on the prowl.

Or could they move to a hotter climate with all that comes with it? Sunburns, no way to cool off, fresh water being scarce?

What do you think? What would you like to see happen?

My theory is that wherever they shoot, they'll want a short period of decent weather, and then crappy weather followed by hellish weather. They don't want people staying forever, because that would get expensive -- and possibly boring. I wouldn't think they would want a ton of snow, though. Since the participants won't have been there long enough to prepare for snow there would be almost no chance of "thriving."

If they want to make this a summer show, they have no choice but to film season two this fall/winter. They *could*, however, film season 3 in late spring of 2016 if they want to move to a hot climate with miserable summers.

I want to see the survival skills in action. I also want there to be FOOD for those who know how to trap/hunt it. Honestly, watching them starve to death isn't pleasant. I, personally, want the participants to have at least a chance of THRIVING.

Possible places...

• Everglades
  • Bayou
  • Desert
  • Tropical island
  • Mountain forest

I expect finding a place remote enough will be tough.

I do wonder if they'll go somewhere more international than Canda. If so, that opens up a lot of interesting scenarios -- and increases the danger. I don't personally want the environment to be so harsh they're just trying to endure the torture. I want to see them establish a life and then fight a mental battle.

Oh, it just occurred to me that putting them some place in the summer will actually be tough because of hunting laws. It's rare to allow hunting during the summer.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 1

From some of the other shows about living in the wilderness it looks like there are survival challenges right here in the good ole USA. Some of those places are barely recognizable and look like they are totally not near civilization (couldn't find a better word). What about trying to live on the sand dunes somewhere in Africa?

It will be difficult to find a more perfect combination of remote and accessible than what they already used. There also needs to be a good combination of food sources. Maybe they could find a little archipelago in the South Pacific and put each guy on a separate island?

• Love 2

Season 1's final two characters where located 4.4 miles apart.  With all the different things that the others faced location may make a difference.  For instance one character had a pair of bears visit others did not see a bear.

Some location where 10 characters all have access to the same resources and obstacles would be good.

I'm also interested in whether anyone would like to see any format changes. For example, the winner only has to last 1 minute more than the 2nd place finisher. (It must suck to be Sam right now.) But Alan said he wasn't close to tapping out. Maybe they should let the last one last as long as he can, uh, last. And the 10

item thing. How about letting them have a couple things just as default, like a ferro rod and sleeping bag, which everyone took anyway, and pick 10 items after that.

One thing I wouldn't change: Keep the show narration free. It's one of the things that made it special.

ETA: Thanks for the thread, cooksdelight. You are all kinds of awesome!

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 6

Agreed! No narrator, no host of any sort, nope nope nope! As far as when to get the last participant, I think they should give them a set amount of time, like 5 days, after the second place finisher. That gives them a little bit of time and some uncertainty, like "maybe I'm already the last one, and they're gonna get me in a couple days." They should NOT repeat the location. The next season's participants have learned way too much about the terrain and survival just by watching. It would be an unfair advantage and would invite inevitable comparisons. "Our season is better because they made it to 79 days." Blah blah. Nobody will ever top Alan, personality-wise. I don't care if they make it to eleventy billion days.

They need a location with lots of space and very few restrictions. National parks might not allow hunting, for example. It also must be an area that cannot be accessed by folks out in the open. I wonder if there are large expanses of land owned privately that can be rented. There has to be available water, plants, and animals, even if they are tough to get. The desert may sound tempting and interesting but I think it would be a pretty boring season, actually. 

• Love 2

I agree -- no narrator. Loved the little factoids on the screen, but otherwise let the participants be the stars.

I want more commentary shows. I didn't need that show where the first 6 to tap out came on to share... nothing. That was a waste. Would love a show with the producers. Maybe a lead-in teaser episode that talks about casting and scouting for locations, what they were hoping for, etc.

How about a 30-minute post-show with a host, and either the person/people who tapped or a producer or crew member to discuss what we saw in that episode (or didn't see).

Definitely need a follow-up show with the participants AND producers.

• Love 3

All excellent comments. I am on the "let the last person go until they tap-out"  train too.

Maybe Greenland, or Austraila? I would like the producers to keep this as transparent as possible. No voice-overs. Just keep it minimal and quiet. I wish they had told us about the 5lbs of rations and the visits. Be 100% transparent and let the show go as it goes. We can take it. 

• Love 5

The emergency rations were not a secret, they were one of Sam's 10 items, so he sacrificed a tool for them.  1 or 2 other men took them as well.

ITA that while Vancouver Island was a perfect place, if they go back there new competitors will have a huge advantage. (If they watched the show, of course. A lot of these guys don't seem to even own TVs much less watch them. I am reminded of the addicts on Intervention who 10 years on still fall for the "We're filming a documentary about drug use" line. )  But I really can't think of a better one. Alan made a comment in the last show about how the producers assured the contestants that there would be "abundance resources". And I think that's the key. They will always need a place where they can get fresh water and fish.

I would not be opposed to giving them all some base rations. Watching men starve was not fun. Alan lost 60 pounds and that had to be 25-30% of his body weight. In 8 weeks. That's not healthy. We've all concluded that the psychological aspect was the most surprising and interesting part of the show, so make that the focus. Being alone.

Season 1's final two characters where located 4.4 miles apart.  With all the different things that the others faced location may make a difference.  For instance one character had a pair of bears visit others did not see a bear.

That was, in retrospect, a genius move that I don't think the producers anticipated. Or maybe I'm not giving them enough credit. They were in such a small area, but were isolated by land and water, and had surprisingly different environments. Some had easy access to fresh water, some had a tidal flat where they could get shellfish, some had a beach where a lot of flotsam landed, some had a bear den with a momma and cubs.  Luck of the draw, I say

Maybe Greenland, or Australia?

Greenland is definitely out. Have you ever watched Ice Cold Gold, where 6 Americans try to find gold there? It is an incredibly barren place with no wildlife to speak of. It's got a short 60 days window where it's ice free, and the other 10 months of the year it's winter. The only thing they seem to have in abundance there is flies.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

The emergency rations were not a secret, they were one of Sam's 10 items, so he sacrificed a tool for them.  1 or 2 other men took them as well.

Greenland is definitely out. Have you ever watched Ice Cold Gold, where 6 Americans try to find gold there? It is an incredibly barren place with no wildlife to speak of. It's got a short 60 days window where it's ice free, and the other 10 months of the year it's winter. The only thing they seem to have in abundance there is flies.

The flies are an abundant source of protein, or so I've heard! Just kidding. I don't recall seeing any note in the show about the rations so maybe I missed it. But they never showed anyone eating them, so I would like more info on that at least. Did Sam eat them?  Never knew anything about Greenland and I don't generally watch these types of shows, so I thought that maybe the southern end. Maybe New Finland was what I was thinking!

How about somewhere off the Appalachian Trail? It would have to be a remote area in a national forest (not national park), and it would have to be the same time of year as season 1, or hunting would be extremely limited.

Problem with that area would be the super storms that dumped TONS of snow the past couple of years. Assuming those become a regular thing, they could be a killer if they hit before the participants had a chance to prepare. Are any of you from the WV/VA/eastern TN area? During what months did the worst snows hit during the last couple of years?

• Love 1

I just read in a different forum that season 2 will be back on Vancouver Island. (They didn't post their source, but a second person responded and said they'd seen that announcement too, so I suppose it's legit.)

I don't know how I feel about it. If the participants have seen this season, then they have a HUGE advantage over the season 1 contestants.

I'm also very bummed I didn't throw my hat into the ring. Not that they would have picked me. But after all that they went through, I *still* want to go up there and disappear. Heaven on Earth.

• Love 2

Even a "fully prepared" person would have a hard time dealing with the challenges of Vancouver Island North.  Although resources may be abundant, they are not at all easy to find and reap. 

The choice of items would change, though - I doubt many competitors would be opting for a bow & arrow or even slingshot after watching this season.

• Love 1

Are any of you from the WV/VA/eastern TN area? During what months did the worst snows hit during the last couple of years?

I live in WNC, and we get the most snow in Jan/Feb. Especially Feb. I think one year there was almost 3 feet of snow dumped at once, which paralyzed the area. And made my Dad almost quit smoking when he ran out of cigarettes. :)

• Love 2

I would love to a season where the prize money is distributed based on accomplishements and not just duration.

Set goals and the first to hit those goals gets paid. The tasks can pay out differntly based on complexity. Build fire, find a sustainable water source, build a basic shelter, build a shelter you can stand in, sleep in, and that protects you from the elements. Lable it as a yurt/small cabin/big lean too type thing, build seasonal transportation (boat, snowshoes, skies, snow sleds), accumulate enough fuel to survive a week long snow storm, build stove, build a smoke shack, build a cook camp.

It would encourage people to do stuff, could be educational and might encourage people with more skills to spply or agree to go on the show.

• Love 3

I'd like to see them try a different enviroment. But not necessarily something too hard. Watching them die of thirst in some dessert would probably make for pretty depressing TV.

Swamp maybe? The Bayou might be just easy enough, but still offer plenty of drama. Though I can see the cotton mouths being a real problem.

• Love 1

I'd like to see them try a different enviroment. But not necessarily something too hard. Watching them die of thirst in some dessert would probably make for pretty depressing TV.

Swamp maybe? The Bayou might be just easy enough, but still offer plenty of drama. Though I can see the cotton mouths being a real problem.

Yeah, I think that's where you start getting those Wilson moments. I recall on one Naked and Afraid when the guys partner tapped out early, he befriended a turtle shell.

I think that's perhaps the most uncomfortable part of the show. As it drags on you can kind of tell some of the contestants are losing it a little. Not that I blame them one bit... even with food, water, shelfer, and fire I'd probably tap out pretty quickly too if I were entirely alone that way.

I saw the first promo for the 2nd season of Alone on the History Channel tonight. I really wasn't expecting it so I didn't realize what it was until it was almost over. My biggest take-away from those few seconds is that it looks like there will be at least one woman among the competitors this time. No premier date was given, just 'Coming Soon'.

• Love 7

I saw the first promo for the 2nd season of Alone on the History Channel tonight. I really wasn't expecting it so I didn't realize what it was until it was almost over. My biggest take-away from those few seconds is that it looks like there will be at least one woman among the competitors this time. No premier date was given, just 'Coming Soon'.

Great scouting!!!

Check out the complete list of what the 1st season contestants were allowed at http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items There's a lot more than the 10 items, the above list breaks gets down to how many socks and underwear they take. I agree that the producers ought to look at the optional list and move some of the items everyone took to what everyone gets.

I have no problem with 2nd season going back to Vancouver Island. If the new contestants learned something from last season, more power to them. They're not competing with the first season people, so what does it matter.

• Love 1

Vancouver Island has several different sub-ecosystems, many quite different from the one season one competitors faced. It would be interesting to send them back to Vancouver Island, but put them in a completely different place so only some of what the first season competitors learned applied.

• Love 2

Yup, it will be fun to discuss with you all again. Last season was so compelling, I am hoping that this one will be as well, but I expect that it will be. Any early info on the participants? So, any takers on someone tapping out within 24 hours? Or how long someone will make it? We could have a poll or something. Remember, the cop tapped out within mere hours last time ("I didn't come here to be prey" or something like that! hee). I just hope it is not the female who goes first (ya know, reinforcing gender stereotypes and all that). Also, we could have a thread for the boneheaded actions that these "survivalists" should know NOT to do. For example, don't drink standing water unless you have boiled it!

• Love 3
(edited)

Hand raised for one thread.

Obviously, I don't have the skills sufficient to run a simple survey. Do you mean one thread total, i.e., all eps together or one thread per ep?  Can we make it "A" for all together  vs.  "PE" for per episode?

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Obviously, I don't have the skills sufficient to run a simple survey. Do you mean one thread total, i.e., all eps together or one thread per ep?  Can we make it "A" for all together  vs.  "PE" for per episode?

I think your survey is fine and I vote for A for all together.

• Love 2

All episodes worked just fine last Season; I vote one thread per Season.  It is too much trouble to remember exactly what happened in each episode after I've seen a few, so I'd be likely to post less in the one thread per episode format.  :-)

• Love 2

We had 13 total pages last season, which is basically one page per episode. If it had been two or more per episode, I would vote to split, but as is, I think the conversation will run more smoothly if we keep it all together. I vote all together -- one thread per season.

• Love 2

My preference would be one thread for the season or "A"
  • Love 3

It will be detemined by editorial staff, I think, as to whether there are individual threads for each episode. Former mod (real life took over) I know that a 'catch all' thread will be used if they don't do stories about each episode. But, given the popularity of this show, we'll see. :)

Hi, all!

Yes, if Editorial does episode stories, then there are individual episode threads. If they're NOT doing episode coverage, the decision on PE vs A is up to the posters and forum mod. If the consensus is that you want individual topics (PE), great, that can be done! Right now, it seems that the leaning is towards one thread (A). There's still a couple of weeks before the show returns, so please feel free to continue discussing.

• Love 1

Also posted in the S2 Bios thread because I wanted to make sure I caught everyone:

I would like to give everyone a heads up about season 2. Even though the advertised premier date is April 21st, my DVR is picking up an episode tomorrow, April 14th.

It's listed as S02E01, but IIRC History kind of played fast and loose with episode numbers last season, especially after they knew they had a hit and wanted to milk it. Anyhow, the title of the episode is "Alone-Making the Cut", which leads me to believe that it's more like S02E00, and they will actually introduce us to the contestants this time.

• Love 6

Can't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't waitCan't wait

Okay, maybe I'm a little eager.

Edited by rainsmom
  • Love 7