Type keyword(s) to search

The Casting & Recasting Thread

• Start Topic

Mila just wasn't believable for the life she was supposed to have led. From what I sussed out, this was the character backstory: She met David Walton's character when she was in college. He was a few years older, and was playing in some ska band. (The typical trust fund kid who's parents kind of let him wander around while supporting his artistic endeavors, who then decides to spend his time being a bar band in some college town.) She gets pregnant at 20, then he decides to marry her while she becomes a stay-at-home Mom. Mommy and Daddy then pull the strings to get their son a decent sales job. When the kids reach school-age, Amy decides to go back onto the job market, but then realizes that the best she can do is work as a glorified secretary to a wunderkind "running" a vanity coffee business. (I'm guessing another trust fund kid who was given money by his own Mommy and Daddy to start a business.)

If she had led that life, she would have been much more battle-worn, I think.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Mila just wasn't believable for the life she was supposed to have led. From what I sussed out, this was the character backstory: She met David Walton's character when she was in college. He was a few years older, and was playing in some ska band. (The typical trust fund kid who's parents kind of let him wander around while supporting his artistic endeavors, who then decides to spend his time being a bar band in some college town.) She gets pregnant at 20, then he decides to marry her while she becomes a stay-at-home Mom. Mommy and Daddy then pull the strings to get their son a decent sales job. When the kids reach school-age, Amy decides to go back onto the job market, but then realizes that the best she can do is work as a glorified secretary to a wunderkind "running" a vanity coffee business. (I'm guessing another trust fund kid who was given money by his own Mommy and Daddy to start a business.)

If she had led that life, she would have been much more battle-worn, I think.

I think Mila Kunis just reads young, she has a full face and these big saucer shaped eyes.

Edited by JessePinkman
Didn't mean to come off so rude
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I think Mila Kunis just reads young, she has a full face and these big saucer shaped eyes.

And based on the montage at the end of "Bad Moms," she got her beautiful eyes and round face from her mom. 

• Love 1

Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding

She's not getting the accent right (to be fair, Oregon seems like it'd be hard to pull off) but I'm still there. You can tell she's going to have a ball with this batshit crazy character. I hope she picks up on the "little girl voice" Tonya would do when she was trying to seem innocent.

Still a shame this happened too late for Amy Adams.

Caitlyn Carver (Paper Towns, The Fosters) is playing Nancy. It's not spot-on like Heather Langenkemp was, but she has the right kind of look.

He's a tad swarthy but it does work.

I'm really excited for the Disaster Artist and James Franco is indeed perfect, but man. As much as I like Dave Franco, he's just way too short to be someone that could have believably been a model. Re-watching the Room, it strikes me all over again how tall Greg Sestero looks in the picture. On the other hand, Dave Franco does have that former Prom King vibe to him that Greg has, so that part does work. I wonder if they're just omitting the modeling part about Greg's background and just going with the idea that he's a failing actor.

I kind of wish they had done a better job at masking James Franco's good looks when playing Johnny, but eh, you can't have everything.

On 2017-04-02 at 9:08 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I'm really excited for the Disaster Artist and James Franco is indeed perfect, but man. As much as I like Dave Franco, he's just way too short to be someone that could have believably been a model. Re-watching the Room, it strikes me all over again how tall Greg Sestero looks in the picture. On the other hand, Dave Franco does have that former Prom King vibe to him that Greg has, so that part does work. I wonder if they're just omitting the modeling part about Greg's background and just going with the idea that he's a failing actor.

I kind of wish they had done a better job at masking James Franco's good looks when playing Johnny, but eh, you can't have everything.

God yes. He's so *little*. And to me the hair and beard looks really weird and fake on him - I'm also very excited for the film, but that bit of casting was a misfire for me. I don't know who I would've preferred, but he's just... wrong. And I agree that they could've tried to make James Franco less good looking, but he definitely has the potential to be a brilliant Tommy.

Seth Rogen as Sandy Schklair is pretty inspired, as is Josh Hutcherson as Philip Haldiman. Man, I really am looking forward to seeing this.

Does anybody know why Jessica Biel wasn't cast as April O'Neil in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movies? As soon as someone said her name to me a few years ago I was flabbergasted that they went with anybody else.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Schweedie said:

God yes. He's so *little*. And to me the hair and beard looks really weird and fake on him - I'm also very excited for the film, but that bit of casting was a misfire for me. I don't know who I would've preferred, but he's just... wrong. And I agree that they could've tried to make James Franco less good looking, but he definitely has the potential to be a brilliant Tommy.

Seth Rogen as Sandy Schklair is pretty inspired, as is Josh Hutcherson as Philip Haldiman. Man, I really am looking forward to seeing this.

Ari Graynor, 10 years too old aside, works pretty well as Juliette Danielle/Lisa as well. When she actually was that age, she would've been perfect. (She still had a little bit of babyfat then.) She has the right kind of brassy blonde vibe to her.

Greg IS a hard part to cast if you wanted to go by looks. For whatever reason, blue-eyed blond dudes that are over 6 feet tall and have established careers while being able to play under 30 are pretty rare in Hollywood for some reason. I guess Armie Hammer, but he's not quite right to me. I guess they just decided to ignore what Greg actually looks like and his body type to go with Dave.

I do think Franco's going to nail this. Kind of a shame they didn't have him undergo prosethetics to give him Tommy's weird chin.

Still a shame this happened too late for Amy Adams.

Oh my God. Yes. !!! I will never be able to unsee that now. She would have been perfect as Tonya Harding. Any idea why they wouldn't go with her now? She really doesn't seem too old for it. Maybe she's too big of a movie star want a project this volatile. I think Jennifer Garner would have made a great Nancy Kerrigan too.

• Love 3
On 4/5/2017 at 0:09 AM, DisneyBoy said:

Oh my God. Yes. !!! I will never be able to unsee that now. She would have been perfect as Tonya Harding. Any idea why they wouldn't go with her now? She really doesn't seem too old for it. Maybe she's too big of a movie star want a project this volatile. I think Jennifer Garner would have made a great Nancy Kerrigan too.

She's 42 years old. She's actually only 4 years younger than Tonya Harding. There's playing young, and then there's the awkwardness of playing a teenager when you're 42. (The movie looks like it's delving into Tonya's teen years, too.)  Again, if this had happened 10 years ago I could have seen it. Oh, well.

On tap...a Madonna biopic.

I've thought since the Carrie Diaries that AnnaSophia Robb should play Madonna. She's even the right age to correspond with early 1980's Madonna.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I would love it if Lee Pace was cast Bill Denbrough in the next half of It.

Ooh, that's a good one. The good thing about Bill is that the kid actor they picked had a pretty generic look, so you could go with a wide range of guys for him.

They're going to need to get on it soon, if they want the next movie released in the summer of 2019.

I'm fancasting Amy Adams for Beverly but my bet is on Bryce Dallas Howard.

On 9/26/2017 at 9:52 PM, Ambrosefolly said:

I would love it if Lee Pace was cast Bill Denbrough in the next half of It.

Nice pick, but I saw an  interview with the young stars of It & they had some suggestions of their own:

Jaeden Lieberher's pick: Jake Gyllenhaal

Wyatt Oleff's  (young Stanley) pick: Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Chosen Jacobs (young Mike): Chadwick Boseman

Other suggestions I've heard include Chris Pratt for Adult Ben & Jessica Chastain for Adult Beverly.

Edited by DollEyes
2 hours ago, Watermelon said:

I wouldn't mimd Charlie's angels and I don't mind Lupita. It's Kristen Stewart that's causing my hesitation.

Not if they are going for the campy tone of the 2000 remake but I was pretty sold by her as a spy at the end of American Ultra. 

• Love 1
On 10/1/2017 at 1:35 PM, raezen said:

Not if they are going for the campy tone of the 2000 remake but I was pretty sold by her as a spy at the end of American Ultra. 

I agree. Kristen Stewart is a much better actress than the Twilight movies would suggest. 

Campy action movies seem to be out right now. "Gritty" or at least attempts to be gritty, with a side of deadpan humor, are in.

I do think they'll be using guns this time around instead of Drew Barrymore's politically correct no guns stance she put in her spin.

So Renee Zellweger has been cast to play Judy Garland in an upcoming film. She is a year older than Garland was when she died and filming hasn't started yet. I guess I should feel grateful that RZ never did make that Janis Joplin project when she was a good decade older than Joplin at the time of her death but can't we make it a rule that if you're playing a real person, you should be (or at least look) about the same age as that person?

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Qoass said:

So Renee Zellweger has been cast to play Judy Garland in an upcoming film. She is a year older than Garland was when she died and filming hasn't started yet. I guess I should feel grateful that RZ never did make that Janis Joplin project when she was a good decade older than Joplin at the time of her death but can't we make it a rule that if you're playing a real person, you should be (or at least look) about the same age as that person?

I've seen footage of Judy Garland before she died and to be honest I thought she was decades older then her actual age at the time. I have no problem with some older playing her, and these things usually drive me nuts.

Whatever happened to Anne Hathaway's Judy Garland biopic? Honestly though, I could see her more as Liza Minelli.

As for Renee, I just can't see it. It's not even the age thing, because Garland aged in Lindsey Lohan years. A very big part of Judy Garland are her big, brown, expressive eyes. How the hell are they going to fake that with Renee? Contacts ain't going to cut it.

Anybody see Ingrid Goes West? Elizabeth Olsen is absolutely inspired casting as an Instagram celebrity guru. Her sisters basically perfected that Cali boho look a decade ago and she just looks the part. The funny thing is, Elizabeth doesn't really do parts that play on her looks as a blonde, blue-eyed curvy bombshell. Her roles have usually been as odd, quirky people. That's what was pretty cool about her part in Ingrid Goes West.

Edited by methodwriter85

In the very unlikely event that they recast Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts, I think Tom Hiddleston would have made a great Grindelwald. I would find it more believable that Jude Law's Dumbledore would have had a thing for him....

• Love 2
On 1/3/2018 at 8:23 PM, Spartan Girl said:

In the very unlikely event that they recast Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts, I think Tom Hiddleston would have made a great Grindelwald. I would find it more believable that Jude Law's Dumbledore would have had a thing for him....

Or they could have just kept Colin Farrell.

• Love 2
  • Since the story is fantasy-based,if Farrell couldn't have played Grindenwald, I still think they could have cast him in another role. As far as I'm concerned, if Dumbledore can be recast twice, they could find something for Colin Farrell to do.
Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Joey Pollari was absolutely amazing in his season of American Crime Story, and it's nice he had a bit part in Love Simon. But my god, it was pushing it two years ago for him to be high school, and it's only gotten worse. I know he's only 23, but my god, he looked really awkward as a high school kid. I think he's hot, and he had very boyish looks at 18/19, but maturation hit him hard and he's not remotely believable as a high school kid now. I really thought he had been a guy who had graduated a year or two ago, not someone actually in school with him. I really hope his agents start pushing him into more adult roles now because I just can't buy him playing 17.

On an unrelated note, he just came out. Good for him.

Back to the age thing...it is Hollywood standard to cast adults playing teenagers (Nick Robinson is 21 or 22) but most of that cast was pretty believable. Joey kind of stuck out like a sore thumb. I tend to care less about 90210 casting when it's clear most of that cast hadn't seen their teen years in a long time.

Edited by methodwriter85

While watching Boogie Nights last week, a thought crept into my head. What roles do you think it's likely Philip Seymour Hoffman would have played in the past 4 years since his death?

Wikipedia lists that he was gearing up for Directorial turn in Prohibition Era film that hasn't been made, and a Showtime Pilot that didn't get made

My picks:

• Matt Carroll in Spotlight (Played by Brian D'arcy James) I think this role would have expanded with him, the quiet and steady team member of the Spotlight Crew.
  • Julian Bailes in Concussion (Played by Alec Baldwin) I think he would have done more with this role than Baldwin, who just existed to give Will Smith someone to act off. I think Hoffman with the Albert Brooks character really would have made something of this.
  • Edward Sheffield in Nocturnal Animals (Played by Jake Gyllenhall) This seems right up Hoffman's alley for a staring role.
  • Percival Graves in Fantastic Beasts (Played by Colin Farrell) A new franchise (one for them) for him to bite into after The Hunger Games
  • Doug Downey in Molly's Game (Played by Chris O'Dowd) The main foil for the second half of the film, Sorkin grabs his reliable performer from Moneyball for his directorial debut
  • Doc in Baby Driver (Played by Kevin Spacey) This is just a selfish pick to make watching this movie after the allegations more paletable.
On 3/16/2018 at 1:55 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Joey Pollari was absolutely amazing in his season of American Crime Story, and it's nice he had a bit part in Love Simon. But my god, it was pushing it two years ago for him to be high school, and it's only gotten worse. I know he's only 23, but my god, he looked really awkward as a high school kid. I think he's hot, and he had very boyish looks at 18/19, but maturation hit him hard and he's not remotely believable as a high school kid now. I really thought he had been a guy who had graduated a year or two ago, not someone actually in school with him. I really hope his agents start pushing him into more adult roles now because I just can't buy him playing 17.

I actually turned to my boyfriend during his scenes and laughed "They expect us to believe this kid isn't 30?".

On 4/9/2018 at 1:52 PM, JessePinkman said:

I actually turned to my boyfriend during his scenes and laughed "They expect us to believe this kid isn't 30?".

I know, right? Joey Pollari is a beautiful guy in my opinion, but he does not have boyish looks at all. I was shocked when I looked him up after American Crime and realized he was only 21.

It kind of reminds me of Charlie David trying to play a naive college kid in Mulligans. You can put him in as much then-trendy teen fashion as you want, but it doesn't make him look any less 30 than he does. Similar to Pollari, he was actually young enough that it should have worked (I think he was 27 and trying to play college) but man it did not work. Being that his character was supposed to be a young boy having an affair with his friend's father, it just threw off the dynamic when the dad barely looked older than him.

• Love 1

Peak Eddie Murphy would not have been the Falcon, they'd have racebent Tony. And 90s Nicky Fury would still be SLJ! Lol

Brenda Fraser as Star-Lord is fantastic. And real talk, present day Keanu SHOULD have been Doctor Strange.

• Love 4
On 4/16/2018 at 10:14 AM, JessePinkman said:

Peak Eddie Murphy would not have been the Falcon, they'd have racebent Tony. And 90s Nicky Fury would still be SLJ! Lol

Brenda Fraser as Star-Lord is fantastic. And real talk, present day Keanu SHOULD have been Doctor Strange.

I don't know that they would have racebent Tony.* In 2003, Marvel was already talking to Tom Cruise about him playing Iron Man. I think he likely would have been the front runner to play Iron Man in the 90s. Either him or Kevin Costner, who was still one of the biggest actors in the 90s. Kurt Russell, Bruce Willis, and Mel Gibson would have absolutely been considered too. It's also possible Dennis Quaid might have been in the mix too. His career only started to rebound in the early aughts so he would have been cheap.

The other big changes are that Will Smith would likely have been cast to play Falcon in the 90s. As a film star, he didn't start to break out until 96. If you had him under contract before then, which he likely would have jumped at, you would easily have seen Will Smith in the Falcon role. Or LL Cool J. I also think Kevin Bacon was much more likely to land Ant Man than Matthew Broderick. Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons were equally likely to have been cast as Loki as Gary Oldman was.

The Winter Soldier is a character who didn't exist until 2005. Had he existed, he would have been a Liefeldian mess of 90s ubermasculinity. This means that a 90s action movie star was likely the only type in consideration for that role.  It would be Mickey Rourke or Russell Crowe if we were lucky and Jean Claude Van Damme, Michael Madsen, or Steven Seagal if we weren't. Also Stamos wasn't a big enough star that he would have ever been considered for the Winter Soldier role.

As to Nick Fury, Ultimate Nick Fury, who was modeled on Sam Jackson, didn't appear in the comics until 2001. It's much more likely that they would have cast Nick Nolte, Sam Elliott, Jack Palance, or Charleton Heston as Nick Fury. Or maybe even Sean Connery, though it's also likely Connery might have ended up as Thanos too. Connery was offered $10 million per picture for Lord of the Rings and 15% of the box office. Thanos is the exact level of work for a big payday that Connery was willing to do then.

*People bitched about Sam Jackson being Nick Fury and Nick Fury has never been as popular as Iron Man. And Ultimate Nick Fury looked like Sam Jackson. Meanwhile everyone was dead silent when Angelina was cast in Wanted instead of Halle Berry who was the model for the character Fox.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1

John Stamos wouldn't have ever been considered for a feature role in a big budget action movie. He wasn't taken very seriously and the stigma about television stars being in movies was still present, especially if you had a long run and a very recognizable character. And of course, poor Alicia Silverstone and her "batgirl to fat girl" jokes.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

I don't know that they would have racebent Tony.* In 2003, Marvel was already talking to Tom Cruise about him playing Iron Man. I think he likely would have been the front runner to play Iron Man in the 90s. Either him or Kevin Costner, who was still one of the biggest actors in the 90s. Kurt Russell, Bruce Willis, and Mel Gibson would have absolutely been considered too. It's also possible Dennis Quaid might have been in the mix too. His career only started to rebound in the early aughts so he would have been cheap.

I really just meant that Eddie Murphy wouldn't have played such a minor role. They probably would have turned Black Panther into an action/comedy instead (I can't see peak 90s Denzel doing a comic book movie).

2 minutes ago, JessePinkman said:

I really just meant that Eddie Murphy wouldn't have played such a minor role. They probably would have turned Black Panther into an action/comedy instead (I can't see peak 90s Denzel doing a comic book movie).

I completely agree that he never would have taken the role of Falcon either. The person who put that list together doesn't understand that Eddie Murphy was one of the biggest stars in the world for 20 years, starting from 1980 through 2001. Even as he had largely stopped doing films for adults, his family films were still making a ton of money. I think Murphy might have also been amenable to playing Blade because he and Charlie had written A Vampire in Brooklyn in the mid 90s. 

Denzel never would have done a comic book movie in the 90s. He was still too focused on prestige films. The closest he came to a comic book film was Virtuosity, which flopped. However, Wesley Snipes had actually been in talks with Marvel since 1992 to play Black Panther. The script never came together. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-wesley-snipes-reveals-untold-story-behind-90s-film-1078868

The other thing I think a lot of people forget is just how influential 1998's Blade was. It was successful before Spider-Man and X-Men came out. It also clued Marvel in on the fact that they could take essentially unknown characters and make them into successful films.

• Love 2

Switching topics here (although, when I saw the 90s Marvel list, I thought it was great and the discussion has been interesting).  Last night, I started watching White Collar.  I've seen Matt Bomer in few things over the years, namely A Normal Heart, The Nice Guys and Chuck.  As I was continually thinking, once again, about what a good looking man he is, I started wondering  why it is that Hollywood is still so hung up on not casting gay men as lead heterosexual characters in movies.  Matt and Neil Patrick Harris have successfully done this in tv (and they've each done it successfully in movies in supporting roles), so why is there still an issue with leading roles in film?  It drives me crazy.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

Switching topics here (although, when I saw the 90s Marvel list, I thought it was great and the discussion has been interesting).  Last night, I started watching White Collar.  I've seen Matt Bomer in few things over the years, namely A Normal Heart, The Nice Guys and Chuck.  As I was continually thinking, once again, about what a good looking man he is, I started wondering  why it is that Hollywood is still so hung up on not casting gay men as lead heterosexual characters in movies.  Matt and Neil Patrick Harris have successfully done this in tv (and they've each done it successfully in movies in supporting roles), so why is there still an issue with leading roles in film?  It drives me crazy.

I actually think Matt Bomer has a too handsome problem. I'm sure being gay doesn't help things either. It's a little similar to Alec Baldwin's problem and Brad Pitt's and Johnny Depp's problems. Baldwin had to age and gain some weight to come into his own. Brad Pitt  and Johnny Depp's are secretly character actors in leading men's bodies. Rob Lowe had a too handsome problem. Armie Hammer has a too handsome problem as well. 

Luke Evans is probably the contrast. His retreat to the closet was messy as all get out, but I think his accent and good looks in that very craggy masculine way help him out. If anyone can break the leading man ceiling, it's probably Evans. He's the youngest and British. Americans are suckers for accents.

Bomer is so damn beautiful that it's insane. His beauty was used as a shorthand to underscore how terrible the bad guys were in the Magnificent Seven. It's like how could you kill someone who looks like this? Neil Patrick Harris is probably hurt by his child star past. However, I agree that gay actors are just never given the same opportunities as straight actors.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I actually think Matt Bomer has a too handsome problem.

Which is something I'll never understand.  People like looking at beautiful people.  Of course, there are fantastic, not so attractive actors that we like to watch as well, but it's funny to me that "too beautiful" is a problem.  Although, we do live in a world where the Oscars love to give awards to beautiful actors who ugly themselves up for a role.  *sigh*  I was thinking last night that with his dark, long-ish hair, bone structure and stunning blue eyes, he'd has the right look for Superman. 

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Which is something I'll never understand.  People like looking at beautiful people.  Of course, there are fantastic, not so attractive actors that we like to watch as well, but it's funny to me that "too beautiful" is a problem.  Although, we do live in a world where the Oscars love to give awards to beautiful actors who ugly themselves up for a role.  *sigh*  I was thinking last night that with his dark, long-ish hair, bone structure and stunning blue eyes, he'd has the right look for Superman. 

He was actually cast as Superman, but it was during that weird period when the Superman film was attached to a half dozen directors and dozens of different actors as Superman. It's actually why Bryan Singer's Superman Returns starring Brandon Routh flopped, but didn't really.  Superman Returns actually had to bear the burden of all of the aborted previous versions to the tune of almost $100 million, including Kevin Smith, Brett Ratner, and Tim Burton versions that never got made.

https://www.eonline.com/amp/news/356563/matt-bomer-the-real-reason-he-never-played-superman-no-it-s-not-because-he-s-gay

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Because movies made to be commercial are cast with leads that have to hit a "relatable" spot, meaning that the leads have to be good-looking, but not so good-looking that you can't relate to them. There's a reason why all of the American Sweethearts of the last 30 years- Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Hudson, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence- are pretty in a girl-next-door kind of way, but not an exotic "bombshell" kind of way like Angelina Jolie was.

The same thing basically applies to men as well. Leo wasn't taken seriously until he put on weight and wasn't quite so pretty anymore. Tom Cruise was a big box office star, and he had just the right amount of good looks that you like looking at him, but he wasn't so beautiful that he looked like a Ken doll.

I wonder if this is because if someone is too beautiful, they stop being someone you can see in a myriad of situations and that you can mold into what you need for whatever part. Angelina was just never going to be a normal girl next door. Jude Law was never going to be the guy that wasn't distractedly pretty, even when he played white trash in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Halle Berry basically said once that she had to fight for her part in Monster's Ball because casting told her she was just too beautiful to be believable as a ghetto mother.

Margot Robbie, who seems like the current blonde bombshell, downplayed her looks in her movie as Tonya Harding and she got an Oscar nomination and people raving about what a good actress she is. So there is something about that.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Which is something I'll never understand.  People like looking at beautiful people.  Of course, there are fantastic, not so attractive actors that we like to watch as well, but it's funny to me that "too beautiful" is a problem.  Although, we do live in a world where the Oscars love to give awards to beautiful actors who ugly themselves up for a role.  *sighI was thinking last night that with his dark, long-ish hair, bone structure and stunning blue eyes, he'd has the right look for Superman. 

Though not on the same level, Bomer did provide his voice as Batman in the Straight to Home dvd a few years ago: Superman: Unbound. He did a fantastic job, even if I didn't see his face; but the portrayal was very believable.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Because movies made to be commercial are cast with leads that have to hit a "relatable" spot, meaning that the leads have to be good-looking, but not so good-looking that you can't relate to them. There's a reason why all of the American Sweethearts of the last 30 years- Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon, Kate Hudson, Emma Stone, Jennifer Lawrence- are pretty in a girl-next-door kind of way, but not an exotic "bombshell" kind of way like Angelina Jolie was.

The same thing basically applies to men as well. Leo wasn't taken seriously until he put on weight and wasn't quite so pretty anymore. Tom Cruise was a big box office star, and he had just the right amount of good looks that you like looking at him, but he wasn't so beautiful that he looked like a Ken doll.

I wonder if this is because if someone is too beautiful, they stop being someone you can see in a myriad of situations and that you can mold into what you need for whatever part. Angelina was just never going to be a normal girl next door. Jude Law was never going to be the guy that wasn't distractedly pretty, even when he played white trash in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Halle Berry basically said once that she had to fight for her part in Monster's Ball because casting told her she was just too beautiful to be believable as a ghetto mother.

Margot Robbie, who seems like the current blonde bombshell, downplayed her looks in her movie as Tonya Harding and she got an Oscar nomination and people raving about what a good actress she is. So there is something about that.

Good points.  I guess it never really bothered me that much.

2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Because we had earlier talked about alternate casting for the Avengers, I thought I'd post this Vulture piece on the same subject.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/all-the-actors-marvel-almost-cast-in-avengers-infinity-war.html

I'm glad with who Marvel went with in every case except for Black Widow. I've never been impressed by Scarlett and think Emily Blunt would have been much better.

I agree, but I think Ethan Hawke or Joaquin Phoenix would have been decent choices for Dr. Strange and I can John Krasinski doing well with Captain America if Chris wasn't available or passed on it.