Type keyword(s) to search

Class, Gender, Race, etc. in Commercials

Bastet
  • Start Topic

I remember Herbal Essence's commercials promising the buyer "an organic experience" set to the orgasmic screams of overly amorous women shampooing their tresses.  Those gals needed to get out more.  Somehow Herbal Essence confused organic with orgasmic.  Maybe they thought consumers were that stupid.  To prove what original thinkers Herbal Essence were, the ads were aired when When Harry Met Sally had relevance. 

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 1

Why are there annoying elderly ladies in car commercials? Did someone hate grandma? I can't decide who is worse the mother-in law in the BMW ad "pick up the pace I'm eighty" or the women in the Jetta ad. You wouldn't see older men treated that way.

• Love 2

I remember Herbal Essence's commercials promising the buyer "an organic experience" set to the orgasmic screams of overly amorous women shampooing their tresses.  Those gals needed to get out more.  Somehow Herbal Essence confused organic with orgasmic.  Maybe they thought consumers were that stupid.

I don't think they were confused or thought consumers didn't know the difference between the terms. I think they thought they were punny. I'm not saying it was a good campaign or anything, but I think they knew exactly what they were doing and they thought they were hilarious for doing so.
  • Love 12

"Why are there annoying elderly ladies in car commercials? "

I can't think of anything more annoying on television right now. That were slightly amusing at first but now they're just obnoxious. And their voices are starting to make my ears bleed.

On the other hand, go grannies for getting an awesome gig this late in life!!

I'm obviously conflicted

• Love 5

I may have said this before, but I want to hate those dirty old ladies, but they remind me of a (departed) family friend who was a total old perv, so I love them.

One of them spoofs Rhonda Rousey ( UFC Women's Bantamweight  Champion) in a Carl's jr ad.

Ugh, Herbal Essences. Indigenous people aren't props.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4JS1sWg_qY

Please don't hate me, but I enjoyed that commercial. It made me laugh, especially the butterfly at the end. I also liked the small print disclaimer, 'please don't shampoo in the jungle.'  I wish my showers were that hedonistic.

Anyway, came here to post that advertisers make different versions of their ads, with cast members of the prevailing demographic. I first noticed this in the 1990s, when visiting relatives. In my area, the commercial had an Hispanic family, in their locale, the family were blonde and blue-eyed. So, if you see a car commercial with people from India, it could simply mean you have a lot of people from India in your area.

• Love 2

I like seeing the old ladies in that car commercial because some folks believe that sex and sexuality stops when you hit fifty and if you do have sexual feelings after a certain age you're a perv.  

But they are shown as being pervs, sexually harrassing the salesman.

• Love 5

Chances are you were a perv when you were younger too.

My husband says the reason I like those old ladies is because I can't wait to be like them.  He thinks I'm a perv now.

But they are shown as being pervs, sexually harrassing the salesman.

Yeah, for me, I don't think the problem is the idea that if old people express their sexuality they're pervs; it's that it's okay for old people to act like pervs.

• Love 4

My husband says the reason I like those old ladies is because I can't wait to be like them.  He thinks I'm a perv now.

Yeah, for me, I don't think the problem is the idea that if old people express their sexuality they're pervs; it's that it's okay for old people to act like pervs.

So, it's only okay to act like a perv if you're young?

Edited by ennui

Here's an ad from 1972, which makes it seem that Clairol is trying to mash-up the original ad sensibility and the "organic" hook.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=70s+herbal+essence+ads&qpvt=70s+Herbal+Essence+ads&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=79391941B1314F04776179391941B1314F047761

I don't see why having all those "tribesmen" and the physically-present, male "announcer" was needed in the newer ad. The power of "nekkid" boobies, I guess. ::rolls eyes::

• Love 1

Daddies who have tea parties with their girls don't need to be "re-bolded", Papa Murphy, so shut your retrograde pizza-pie hole. Whether anyone who enjoys Frank's Hot Sauce with or without your pizza should be upset to have their sauce be put with this ad. How angry-making it's meant to be, for PR reasons, I just can't tell.

• Love 7

One commercials that annoys me is the David's Bridal commercial.  They have a black man marrying a white (or white skinned) woman, but no black woman getting married.  That sucks.  Maybe they need to check this page out:  http://www.blackfemaleinterracialmarriage.com/

Historically, it was far more acceptable to whites for a white male to have a partner from a minority group than for a white woman to have a partner from a minority group,  so this kind of does represent an upending of that mindset. 

Edited by Calamity Jane
  • Love 1

Historically, it was far more acceptable to whites for a white male to have a partner from a minority group than for a white woman to have a partner from a minority group,  so this kind of does represent an upending of that mindset. 

More like it screws black women over.

• Love 3

I am a Black female. My husband of 25 yrs is White. We are out there. : -)

I'm noticing a fair numbers of commercials that show interracial couples, where the female is black and the male is white (I'm Canadian, so not sure if the ads only air in Canada). My BF thinks that we started a trend, but maybe it was you!

I still don't like their ads, but I think it's progress that Axe Body Spray, who long promoted their products with a teen view of hyper heterosexuality, is now recognizing that not all dudes are handsome in a traditional sense and some like other dudes.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 1

I just appreciated an Axe commercial. Okay, I need to go outside and check because either the sky is green and I've fallen into an alternate dimension, or it's raining fire, 'cause this is just too weird.

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 3

Just saw a commercial for Skyla (an IUD) yesterday.  The actress they used was a cute, clean cut looking, white, mid 20s girl who was a musician - I assume a rock-n-roll cause everyone knows those rock-n-rollers are heathens.  Because women in that age group who go to college, work, go to church, etc...are not so forward thinking to realize a long term birth control method might be a good idea.

They should have just shown her lounging around in the bedroom wearing a football jersey waiting for her older sugar daddy to finish watching the game.

• Love 1

Because women in that age group who go to college, work, go to church, etc...are not so forward thinking to realize a long term birth control method might be a good idea.

Or, that rocker chicks hook up with more than their fair share of dudes that aren't good father material.

(edited)

Hi, Geico? 

I have sat through clearly dumb, but fun ads. I love the gecko and the "If you are [X], you [X]; that's just what you do" ads. Except the Tarzan and Jane one. Really? If you are a couple you must bicker/argue/fight? Must. Just like the ad where Mom and son want a big meal so, ergo, there is a big mess left behind. Tarzan and Jane are swinging through the jungle and Tarzan gets lost, so Jane immediately goes into harpy mode. Because it's what all women in couples do? STFU. Poor Monkey should have run off instead of listening to that noise.  The 1950s called and  wants it's reductive advertising ideas back, y'all. Please oblige them.

Hearts, Actionmage

Added:

A) Why does it have to be the daughter dying her hair purple and being disrespectful to Mom instead of a son? Guys dye their hair as well. The ad folks still get their disrespectful teen?

B) I love the ad with the Bug Ladies! Two grown women who love bugs and are passing that love on to younger generations! Love it and the breaking of the stereotype that all females think bugs are icky. Granted, I'm not fond of all bugs, but some really are cool looking, like the katydid.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2
I have sat through clearly dumb, but fun ads. I love the gecko and the "If you are [X], you [X]; that's just what you do" ads. Except the Tarzan and Jane one. Really? If you are a couple you must bicker/argue/fight? Must. Just like the ad where Mom and son want a big meal so, ergo, there is a big mess left behind. Tarzan and Jane are swinging through the jungle and Tarzan gets lost, so Jane immediately goes into harpy mode. Because it's what all women in couples do? STFU. Poor Monkey should have run off instead of listening to that noise.  The 1950s called and  wants it's reductive advertising ideas back, y'all. Please oblige them.

I love the expression on the chimp's face though.

• Love 2

Hi, Geico? 

I have sat through clearly dumb, but fun ads. I love the gecko and the "If you are [X], you [X]; that's just what you do" ads. Except the Tarzan and Jane one. Really? If you are a couple you must bicker/argue/fight? Must. Just like the ad where Mom and son want a big meal so, ergo, there is a big mess left behind. Tarzan and Jane are swinging through the jungle and Tarzan gets lost, so Jane immediately goes into harpy mode. Because it's what all women in couples do? STFU. Poor Monkey should have run off instead of listening to that noise.  The 1950s called and  wants it's reductive advertising ideas back, y'all. Please oblige them.

Hearts, Actionmage.

Except it isn't really that 1950's, since most commercials now have a bitchy woman and a dumbass man in them. Or worse, she's not bitchy, but she's overly tolerant of her husband's (or her children's, come to that) idiocy. What would be novel is if there was an ad where the guy had the sense to either know what he was doing or to ask someone who might be able to help him figure it out while the woman was clueless. But I guess that would be too sexist.

I have sat through clearly dumb, but fun ads. I love the gecko and the "If you are [X], you [X]; that's just what you do" ads. Except the Tarzan and Jane one. Really? If you are a couple you must bicker/argue/fight? Must. Just like the ad where Mom and son want a big meal so, ergo, there is a big mess left behind. Tarzan and Jane are swinging through the jungle and Tarzan gets lost, so Jane immediately goes into harpy mode. Because it's what all women in couples do? STFU. Poor Monkey should have run off instead of listening to that noise.  The 1950s called and  wants it's reductive advertising ideas back, y'all. Please oblige them

I didn't get this from the ad at all.  I thought it was playing on the stereotype of men who won't ask for directions.  And like Haleth, I love the expression on the chimp's face.

I thought it was playing on the stereotype of men who won't ask for directions.  And like Haleth, I love the expression on the chimp's face.

Yeah, the chimp is cute.

Still, this is part of the "If you are [X], then you just do [Y]" series of ads.  We've seen clever ads where men don't want to ask for directions. We've seen wives roll their eyes at the not asking. But to come out and state that when you are a couple, you fight over getting directions because that's what you do, is one of the most angry-making sentences. Why? Because it's not true for every couple, no matter the make-up. Sure there are some folks who, no doubt, have screaming matches over getting directions, but not because they are a couple.

I can chuckle over photo-posting chicken because that doesn't really happen. The same with folks running into "The End" and knocking themselves out (for  most part.) But, I am part of a couple. While we aren't perfectly calibrated emotionally, and we have had disagreements about how to arrive somewhere, it's not because we were a couple. It's lazy the same way that the aforementioned "big dinner = big mess" ad is.  one arguing couple =/= all couples behaving like that.

It's my read of the ad and I'm not looking to convert. I was reacting to the words spoken.

• Love 3

It's a lovely ad, and the women look beautiful in it.  I think the problem is the woman nursing a baby.  I think that may violate FCC standards.  

I don't agree with those who say it's not being aired because the women aren't skinny.  

Edited by Badger
  • Love 1

It's a lovely ad, and the women look beautiful in it.  I think the problem is the woman nursing a baby.  I think that may violate FCC standards.  

I don't agree with those who say it's not being aired because the women aren't skinny.  

I think the nursing and the final shot in which they are sitting naked (or ostensibly naked; it's you can't see any body parts that are inherently unacceptable for network TV, but the implication is that they are totally nude). I have no issue with any of it, but I suspect that those two factors are a bigger deal to the networks than the size of the models. 

I think it's a great commercial, personally. I also remember that one of the networks (I can't remember which one, though) reject a LB ad a few years ago because it showed too much cleavage, so that folks may be remembering that. The networks' refusal to articulate why they consider the commercial unacceptable is only going to fuel the controversy. 

• Love 1
to come out and state that when you are a couple, you fight over getting directions because that's what you do, is one of the most angry-making sentences. Why? Because it's not true for every couple, no matter the make-up. Sure there are some folks who, no doubt, have screaming matches over getting directions, but not because they are a couple.

Two random acquaintances probably won't have an argument over directions. You'd need a couple to bicker about it. A male friend commented that he'd rather be lost for hours than ask for directions, that it's a man thing. It's the principle.

I like the ad, myself. 

• Love 2

I think it's a great commercial, personally. I also remember that one of the networks (I can't remember which one, though) reject a LB ad a few years ago because it showed too much cleavage, so that folks may be remembering that. The networks' refusal to articulate why they consider the commercial unacceptable is only going to fuel the controversy

I agree, although I'd like it more if LB's underwear actually fit me.  But they used to have the best non-underwire support bras.

• Love 1

I vaguely recall that Just My Size had some complaints about its underwear commercials a few years back (backlash from the public, not networks' refusal to air) because viewers said they didn't want to see fat women on TV. Like, God forbid a woman larger than a size 4 gets to have pretty and supportive bras. I've long since stopped wearing VS stuff because it isn't comfortable for me, even when I'm in my skinnier self (I wore VS stuff in college, when I was about a 6/8, but my perimenopausal, sedentary mom body is currently a 14/16), either because of wedgies, scratchy lace, or the pokiness of underwires and I suspect Aerie and others of the same ilk would give me similar issues.

• Love 1

I don't even know how to say this without sounding like a pig, but since that's the way this is heading anyway...

Isn't the target audience women who would wear the stuff to attract the male gaze? Heidi Klum is obviously getting paid to be in the ad, but there are many women in the world who are not Heidi Klum. I can only presume that those women would not put the stuff on and dance around their houses by themselves.

I believe that is the target.  However, I believe that is the target because someone somewhere (a lot of someones a lot of somewheres) believe that is the only woman who exists.  Aside from women looking to attract the female gaze, there are plenty of women whose priorities in selecting (everyday) underwear are:

1. does this fit properly/serve its function

2. can you see it through my clothes

3. is it a reasonable price

4. is it machine washable

5. are there annoying tags

6. do I think it's pretty

73. will my current/potential male partner like the way I look in this

There is a dearth of ads appealing to those women, women who, I believe, are making the majority of underwear purchases.  (That is to say, women who 100% of the time are looking to impress someone with their underwear are in the minority, and any woman who part of the time is looking to impress someone with their underwear is only doing so rarely -- special occasions, splurging, etc.)

While I don't knock people wanting to look sexy in their underwear, I don't think the message should be that people should want to look sexy in their underwear (which is what the message is when next to no ads mention any function of the bra/underwear other than their pushup abilities -- whatever happened to those ads that bragged about you being able to wear them 18 hours or whatever?), when most people just want something to stop their boobs from jiggling and a barrier between their genitals and their pants.

Not to mention, maybe I've been having sex wrong all these years, but by the time you see my underwear, I've obviously already got your attention.

• Love 4

I believe that is the target.  However, I believe that is the target because someone somewhere (a lot of someones a lot of somewheres) believe that is the only woman who exists.  Aside from women looking to attract the female gaze, there are plenty of women whose priorities in selecting (everyday) underwear are:

1. does this fit properly/serve its function

2. can you see it through my clothes

3. is it a reasonable price

4. is it machine washable

5. are there annoying tags

6. do I think it's pretty

73. will my current/potential male partner like the way I look in this

There is a dearth of ads appealing to those women, women who, I believe, are making the majority of underwear purchases.  (That is to say, women who 100% of the time are looking to impress someone with their underwear are in the minority, and any woman who part of the time is looking to impress someone with their underwear is only doing so rarely -- special occasions, splurging, etc.)

While I don't knock people wanting to look sexy in their underwear, I don't think the message should be that people should want to look sexy in their underwear (which is what the message is when next to no ads mention any function of the bra/underwear other than their pushup abilities -- whatever happened to those ads that bragged about you being able to wear them 18 hours or whatever?), when most people just want something to stop their boobs from jiggling and a barrier between their genitals and their pants.

Not to mention, maybe I've been having sex wrong all these years, but by the time you see my underwear, I've obviously already got your attention.

Thank you for clarifying, Janie Jones, and I suppose you're on target. OTOH, what I was largely responding to from Jamoche was:

Sure, but there's something about that ad that makes it 100% male-gazy, even though the target audience ought to be the people who are going to actually be wearing the stuff.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I hear "male gaze", there's an implication that makes me uncomfortable. I don't pretend that some men don't see looks first, last, and always, but much as real life men actually do sometimes know how to clean the house, buy the right brand of whatever, and take care of their children, sometimes they also care about something other than how hot a woman is or isn't. "Female gaze" exists, yes, but no one would ever use it in a pervy sort of way. Men might be more susceptible to being dirty-minded, but years ago there was this ad:

and that dude only took his shirt off, but you'd think these ladies had never seen a man before.

• Love 1