Type keyword(s) to search

Class, Gender, Race, etc. in Commercials

Bastet
  • Start Topic

(edited)

There was a Kmart Back-to-School commercial was from 2013, but it might come back this year...

There was a racially-diverse group of children standing around a playground and playing the dozens, but instead of insulting each other's mothers, they were saying things like, "yo Mama's so fiscally responsible, she got alllll that at K-mart and saved money." (or something like that). It was very cute.

Edited by topanga
  • Love 1

"Down there"?  "V"? 

Christ, advertising execs; it's bad enough you market useless products designed to convince women their vaginas are dirty netherworlds in need of special, industrial-level cleaning, but it's made even more annoying by the fact you feel compelled to resort to these ridiculous euphemisms.  It's a body part, not Beetlejuice; it won't come to life and torment you if you say its name.

For men when it comes to the "V", the Vee Jay Jay, the pussy (sexy vulgar) or the vagina (supernatural vulgar), we live by the Spock axiom. Prolong contact leads to a certain degree of contamination. It is nearly impossible to rid one of the contaminate, you know, like the ring of Sauron influence. So one must not speak the name of the contaminate. For it is like Voldemort in that respect.

• Love 1

I still see that racist KFC commercial with the black family.  I'll have to watch closer to see what sides they added.  It is so horrible on so many levels, The dining room they are sitting in is sort of in the shadows giving the impression they live in some sort of shack.  I was expecting a distant sound of gunfire.  

Regarding Latisse...  My mother used it for a while and it definitely works.  She has very limited lashes and after about a month of using it, her lashes were thick long and full.  She eventually stopped as it's expensive as hell and you have to keep using it.  Strange stuff indeed. 

• Love 1

For men when it comes to the "V", the Vee Jay Jay, the pussy (sexy vulgar) or the vagina (supernatural vulgar), we live by the Spock axiom. Prolong contact leads to a certain degree of contamination. It is nearly impossible to rid one of the contaminate, you know, like the ring of Sauron influence. So one must not speak the name of the contaminate. For it is like Voldemort in that respect.

Does it give you cooties, too?

• Love 3

I totally got a couple vibe. Supporting actress is reading the paper or something, which does not imply "neighbor stopped over for the coffee klatch" or anything like that. How nice to have a low key gay sighting on TV. You know, just regular people doing regular peopley things.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I had any Chicken Delight but growing up on Long Island, we did have our Pudgies!

Fellow Islander here!  Pudgies - it's been a long time! 

In my town we had a Chicken Delight  - although I'm not sure if it was part of a chain.  I think it was an independent joint.  I remember it being much better than KFC.

• Love 1

I just saw this Chobani ad last night.

I don't think I've seen a homosexual couple presented in this situation in a commercial before.  Right now, I can't think of when a heterosexual was presented like this in commercial, either.

However, Chobani needs to lose the "Live this life naturally!" hipster douche at always pops up at the end of each ad.

• Love 3

What a stupid commercial.  First of all, who eats yogurt like that?  Secondly, who doesn't mind if someone tickles their foot when they're trying to sleep?  Thirdly, she takes the sheet off the other lady at the end, which no one likes to have happen to them.  I can think of three scenarios for where that yogurt came from: 1. The yogurt happened to be sitting next to the bed (stupid). 2.  She went and got the yogurt naked without disturbing the covers and came back and got under the covers (then why does she have to steal the covers now?). 3. She stole the covers before and then covered up the partner and then stole the covers off her again (asshole).

That yogurt-eating lady better never let the sleeping lady go, because she's the only one who's going to put up with her nonsense.

• Love 5

There's one more possibility. The yogurt is left over from their naughty activities earlier.

I think that falls under the umbrella of "it was already sitting there."  But it would explain why there wasn't any yogurt left in the container.

• Love 1

That reminds me I need to stock up on the Lime Flips with graham cracker crumbles and tiny white chocolate chips. SOOO Good! And if those biddies boycott it, that's more for me! :)

As for "million moms", pfftt. Someone needs to do an exposé on how many people are actually in that group. I highly doubt it's over 5 figures, much less 7.

• Love 2

I'm torn about the Chobani ad. While I think it's great from the perspective of improving diversity in advertising, the fact that there is a " reveal" makes me fear that they were going for a "Surprise! They're lesbians!" vibe instead of just portraying a couple.

But I fully admit I might be overthinking it.

• Love 6

I don't think you are overthinking it.  That's exactly how I felt watching it.  Oh, isn't this a sweet, loving couple...BANG!  LESBIANS!!  Put that on your spoon & eat it!!! WHOO HOOOO We at Chobani are SO enlightened!!!!!!!!  We didn't even make one of 'em look butch!!

• Love 10

The Tylenol "How We Family" ad is directed by Dustin Lance Black.

It's a shame that the YouTube comments have been turned off.

And here's a behind the scenes video with the real families featured in the ad:

• Love 4
(edited)
It's a shame that the YouTube comments have been turned off.

You haven't read too many YouTube comments, have you?  I could only imagine the sort of vile tripe an ad like this would generate from certain dark places of the Internet.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5

You haven't read too many YouTube comments, have you?  I could only imagine the sort of vile tripe an ad like this would generate from certain dark places of the Internet.

Oh, yeah, I read tons of YouTube comments.  The trolls run the place.

• Love 2
(edited)

Although.......I do kinda agree one point the Moms make: what DOES yogurt have to do with warm, sweet, loving sex between two women? Except, of course, to show how enlightened they are.

Edited by arejay
  • Love 3