Type keyword(s) to search

Class, Gender, Race, etc. in Commercials

Bastet
  • Start Topic

As people in this thread are not acknowledging, many women use institutional sexism (weird, i know) to get away with things that would terrify them if it came from a guy. Hence TV and film's Stalking is Funny When It's Female After Male, and Domestic Violence Is OK When It's Female On Male. You also see that with pedophile women teachers, childcare workers and nurses.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jacqs said:

As people in this thread are not acknowledging, many women use institutional sexism (weird, i know) to get away with things that would terrify them if it came from a guy. Hence TV and film's Stalking is Funny When It's Female After Male, and Domestic Violence Is OK When It's Female On Male. You also see that with pedophile women teachers, childcare workers and nurses.

We're not acknowledging because it's not what we're talking about. But if you want some, here it is: no, it's not funny in reverse. Amazingly enough, the stuff that gets laugh tracks quite often doesn't get real laughs.

• Love 9

Okay, so I finally figured out why everyone is discussing the white dude following a woman He Does Not Know Nor Has Spoken To  to some imaginary corner. What I don't get is why it's being defended as if that's totally okay . 1. If I meet some rando guy in a store and we exchange basic pleasantries (Hi - Hi - Nice unicorn shirt you're getting - Yeah thanks, my friend's obsessed with unicorns - Ha, ha my friend's obsessed with dragons. - ha, ha, that's funny. okay have a good day - you too) that doesn't mean it's cool for him to tap me on the shoulder 5 minutes later while I'm waiting for the walk sign to light up and checking my messages.  It's creepy and I can get a little twitchy so I might swing out if you startle me like that. (Also, I have a CCP so continuing to follow me might turn bad for all of us) 2. Just because a guy or a girl speaks to you and engages in basic, banal conversation doesn't mean that they want to date you. It's called small talk strangers do to avoid awkward pauses. If you are taking as an invitation that it means your genitalia should meet you should get out more. Join a Toastmasters, they will help you learn this.  

But here's the thing... none of this is relevant to the ad!!!! This is not what happened in the Gillette ad. Dude didn't have a meet cute with her and decide it's true love. Dude thought she had a nice ass and saw she's wearing shorts and a tank top and OBVIOUSLY that meant she wanted to get with him so he should totally follow her with a  completely non-creepy expression (cat wants to not only eat the canary he wants to wear the canary like a hat). /sarcasm

And yes, if the roles were reversed I would have the Exact. Same. Reaction. And if anyone is hanging around in forums or with people who think that would be totally okay you need to get better forums and better friends.  

• Love 11

This topic can sometimes reflect the the current contentious topic of the day. Everyone has been following the Be Civil Golden Rule nor have personal politics found their way in. But as a reminder: There does not need to be consensus or capitulation. Explain without making it personal. No one needs to respond or engage with every post. Thank you. 

• Love 3
On 1/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Dude thought she had a nice ass and saw she's wearing shorts and a tank top and OBVIOUSLY that meant she wanted to get with him so he should totally follow her with a  completely non-creepy expression (cat wants to not only eat the canary he wants to wear the canary like a hat). /sarcasm

And yes, if the roles were reversed I would have the Exact. Same. Reaction. And if anyone is hanging around in forums or with people who think that would be totally okay you need to get better forums and better friends.  

I wouldn't necessarily go so far as to say he thought it meant she wanted to get with him. But he certainly clearly thought it was worth it to go after her.  The thing that gets me is that you actually don't need to hit on every single attractive person you encounter.  Just letting the pretty lady walk down the street unbothered is a thing that you can do.  Deposit dat ass in the ol' spank bank.

Plenty of people don't like it if their companions eat off their plates without asking.  So decent people, knowing that it is potentially unwelcome, don't just assume others won't mind them taking food off their plate, and instead keep to their own meals.  Likewise, if you know that a number of people don't want to be followed down the street by strangers, even only five paces (for any reason other than something they dropped being returned to them), the decent thing to do is to go ahead and not do it.  Otherwise the thought process is basically, "This woman/man might not like this but I'm going to go ahead and follow them because my own desire to fornicate is more important, and if I make them feel unsafe, so be it."  There are other fish in the sea.  There is no reason that you need to pursue this person right here, right now.

Which I like to think the other guy in the commercial explained to him.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, janie jones said:

The thing that gets me is that you actually don't need to hit on every single attractive person you encounter.  Just letting the pretty lady walk down the street unbothered is a thing that you can do.

There needs to be billboards if this everywhere. 

Deposit dat ass in the ol' spank bank.

And this made me snort rose. 

• Love 6
21 hours ago, janie jones said:

Likewise, if you know that a number of people don't want to be followed down the street by strangers, even only five paces (for any reason other than something they dropped being returned to them), the decent thing to do is to go ahead and not do it.  Otherwise the thought process is basically, "This woman/man might not like this but I'm going to go ahead and follow them because my own desire to fornicate is more important, and if I make them feel unsafe, so be it."

Yes, there are some rotten areas of this country where you can't even feel safe in broad daylight.  But it's unfair to generalize.

9 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Yes, there are some rotten areas of this country where you can't even feel safe in broad daylight.  But it's unfair to generalize.

I'm afraid I don't know what you're getting at.  For women who don't want strange men to follow them down the street, or catcall them, etc., this is literally every area of the country.  Men do creepy shit in nice neighborhoods.  A perfectly normal, nice neighborhood was depicted in the commercial to illustrate that fact.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, janie jones said:

I'm afraid I don't know what you're getting at.  For women who don't want strange men to follow them down the street, or catcall them, etc., this is literally every area of the country.  Men do creepy shit in nice neighborhoods.  A perfectly normal, nice neighborhood was depicted in the commercial to illustrate that fact.

What I'm trying to say is that it is not literally every area of the country. Around here, there's a wide range of areas, from  gang territory, to places that make Mayberry look bad.. Towards the better end you don't have blatantly rude behavior like catcalls, and other behavior isn't perceived as "creepy" because expectations matter in how you perceive that behavior. Even in the middle ground, the worst you'd expect from an approaching stranger is that he'll ask for a handout.

• Love 1