Type keyword(s) to search

Baking on Both Sides of the Atlantic: Food and Culture

• Start Topic

There are exceptions but in the US, the word is generally acceptable only to describe woven rugs. Here we hear "Asian flavors" instead - usually meaning East Asian, or Southeast Asian inspired tastes. The term gets overused a lot on US cooking competitions. For example, on Iron Chef or Chopped. It doesn't carry the same patronizing tone or emotional baggage but it seems a bit lazy to just say their dish is "Asian-inspired" when the well-traveled chefs actually mean something quite regionally specific - like Szechuanese, Okinawan.... (shrug)

Ceindreadh, I'm going to let the topic go for more cheerful Bake Off discussion, but feel free to message if you want to discuss further.

Edited by halopub
spelling - i really ought to sleep more
  • Love 1

I think it’s funny that apparently “oriental” was used in both seasons on Channel 4. I don’t remember it being used in the previous seasons that were aired on the BBC/PBS  I understand it’s the same production company but I wonder if the BBC has the equivalent of of standards and practices that nixed it. 

I am surprised that it’s still used in the UK. 

On 6/15/2017 at 4:54 AM, Rinaldo said:
On 6/14/2017 at 10:24 PM, J-Man said:
On 6/14/2017 at 10:24 PM, J-Man said:

Another pronunciation difference-- and this one is more US/UK: genoise. I've always heard it pronounced the French way in the US (zhen-WAHZ), but everyone on GBBO seems to say jen-oh-WEEZ, which sounds like "Genoese," the demonym in English for someone or something from Genoa. 

Yes indeed. This was remarked on here when the show started airing in the US. There are plenty of examples of each country assimilating the pronunciation of a foreign word into local phonetics, and the surprising differences between the US and the UK on this, each side righteously insisting that its own way makes more sense (the British seem to stick with French pronunciation of "restaurant" and "trait" for instance). But this seems especially odd to me because they're using an English translation (both words mean "from Genoa") without making the spelling modification that would justify it. 

The jen-oh-EEZ pronunciation flummoxed me a bit when I first binged my way through the show (latecomer, so I watched everything on Netflix) since, as an American, I’m used to seeing the French spelling and both using and hearing the French pronunciation. However, from what I’ve seen online, it’s common enough for British recipes to spell it genoese, as it is pronounced there.

• Useful 1