Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E18: Hundra & Emily

Just when I think I've seen the weirdest Catfish episode EVER, they go and top themselves. This was one of the dumbest, most ridiculous fake-ass Catfish scenarios ever. I can't even with these folks.

Hundra is a bitch. Had to add that.

Edited by MitaJo
  • Love 6

Formerly geekamonggeeks here (I posted quite a bit about a year ago, but had to give up my original account because I forgot my password and had a lot of trouble recovering it). Man, Hundra had a lot of anger issues, and I'm not sure if all of it stems from the problems she faces being a lesbian in an anti-gay community. I'm not sure if we were supposed to see her as sympathetic, but considering how mad Nev and Kelly were (I refuse to call him Machine Gun), I'm guessing not. I have to say, I loved the dumbfounded look on her face when Nev asked how her friends and family would feel seeing her act like such a brat on TV. I also liked the ending, when she claimed that she changed but immediately got all vindictive again in five seconds flat.

And accusing somebody who helped you come out of trying to "convert" straight girls into being gay? Yeah, not cool. Loved how flabbergasted everybody looked when she came swinging with that crap. It made the episode worth it. And, hey, this episode made me come back to Previously.TV, so I guess that's good for something!

• Love 9

How thirsty do you have to be to a) assume the whole world will benefit from your coming out, and b) concoct this crazy machination to do it? She couldn't put a video on YouTube? MTV should have refused to air it.

I didn't understand Melanie's motivation - I was nodding when Nev asked if Hyundai (autocorrect changed that but I'm keeping it) was blackmailing her, because I don't get it. She was riding for that lie until Geralyn admitted the jig was up.

Kelly hated Hundra and I was there for it. The only thing better would have been Max AND Kelly.

What Hundra needed to do was step up her wig game abs worry about her edges. Both were a mess.

These folks were not a good representation of my hometown.

• Love 10

How thirsty do you have to be to a) assume the whole world will benefit from your coming out, and b) concoct this crazy machination to do it? She couldn't put a video on YouTube? MTV should have refused to air it.

She was very full of herself to think that the entire world wanted to see her come out. Like, I get that it's so incredibly difficult to be gay in an anti-gay culture/community. But come on. Hundra was acting like she was royalty or something. It was ridiculous. She acted like the whole world owed her something for being a Haitian lesbian.

Kelly's utter disdain for her was gold, though. It's nice to see somebody not handle the people on this show with kid gloves just because she's had a hard life. Get in line, Hundra. Everybody has problems, but most people don't act like combative bitches because of them. I did find it odd that she was willing to come out publicly for some girl she never met in person even though this meant she could possibly be disowned. It made the later revelation a bit obvious, though it was still cray-cray.

Edited by AztecEagle
  • Love 4

Weirdest episode for me this season still goes to Tracy Barbie, but biggest asshole definitely goes to Hundra. Right after this episode aired she claimed that Nev and Catfish producers exploited her story for money, so why should she have the obligation of being truthful and similarly use them for her own profit? Stupid. I really want to know why Melanie bothered to involve herself though. Probably just a chance to be on TV. So lame. 

They are seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel for episodes now. How many "catfishing Catfish" episodes have there been? Sorry Nev, I like this dumb show much more than I should but I see the end.

• Love 4

I think my favorite part was Kelly's sad statement that he'd missed spending Father's Day with his child for this crap. I don't know anything at all about the guy but I like him for that.

• Love 13

Wha????

I get that in a way she was trying to do a PSA about coming out, I can sort of see her thinking "this show is staged, so why not stage my own message?" -- it's a cynical attitude, but also sort of true thing that "reality tv" is not real, so maybe there's some way she could think this is a clever use of resources. Already-famous people stage publicity and manipulative TV all the time, so it's sort of horrible but sort of genius in a way. And I admit that her saying Kelly was there for publicity, too, made me laugh, because she's not wrong about that, is she? But then she went and said all that insulting crap about lesbians, which made it seem like she actually hated us and not that she was trying to promote understanding and acceptance at all.

So basically, she thinks she's cool for wanting "a lipstick lesbian" and she thinks butches are predators? I loved how Nev and Kelly shut that down. It's weird seeing a couple of straight (?) dudes being so hardcore about busting anti-dyke stereotypes, but I'll take it.

Or she thought her family would embrace her if she was on TV, and if she went out of her way to act like a victim, and to dis other lesbians? Like: I am one, but not one of those? Or maybe her family is great, and she's just a famewhore, and thought it would be fun to make a tv show just for the excitement. I mean, what do we really know about her, really?

I wonder why the producers decided to go with this story, though. Do they really have nothing else to air?

• Love 7

I was typing stuff to remember while I was watching, & this is the first thing I typed "If there is a chance your family will disown you because of who you’re dating, why would you go on national television with your story?" Imagine my surprise when I found out why. I think Hundra's story about wanting to come out & sticking up for Haitian lesbians was all bullshit, she just wanted to get her 15 minutes.

I laughed when they got Melanie to come over & she was playing her part & Geralyn was just standing there with her arms crossed waiting to drop the bomb. Geralyn was right about the whole "lesbian trying to turn a straight girl" thing, it's stuff like that that helps perpetuate discrimination against gays & I'm glad that was made her come clean about the con. 

Edited: I just caught some of the repeat. it was the part when we first meet Melanie & she's talking to Geralyn on the phone & when Geralyn laughs, Melanie says "you think this is funny?" When I see that scene now, it's completely different now that I know the truth. 

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2

So:*

The two "oh noes, we've been catfished" eps they've chosen to air have both been eps involving lesbian couples (or triads, or singles, or... Whatevah da faq this one is).

I have no idea what the ratios of the barista types of deceptions that are submitted to them break down to, or how many het fake ones they bounce and why--and they sure didn't play that first one as anything but "yay love"--so I'm not sure there's any overarching message or hidden bias to be taken from this [yet]; I guess it's just .... "Interesting" to me. I did appreciate how fast--even when they allegedly still thought Hundra was the victim--Kelly, especially, jumped on her re: her various biases.

I suspect that THAT was her original motivation: to show the "softer" side of lesbian. Irony intended. But, when she first saw Geralyn's picture and expressed that, no, she's not into "women who dress like men," well, it was still opening up a whole can if worms wrt identity, yes, but a world away from the hateful way she phrased it later. But, moreso, when trying to explain WHY she did it and saying she still needed to come out, I think waft she meant was "people (Haitians) need to see that some lesbians are pretty. Like me. We're not all f-' b- d-s. Like Geralyn." Which, besides being gross and filled with internal homophobia (but also somewhat understandable for someone in her position. NOT ok. Just not surprising....), it makes it all the more awful that she used Geralyn as part of her plot to do so..

*[maybe I'm missing one--it would be a relief to determine I actually haven't seen them all and/or don't have a complete mental Rolodex of Catfish at my disposal--but I don't think I am?]

• Love 2

I didn't understand this episode, but I don't really care enough to watch it again, or think about it any more.  I couldn't help but think that if MIGHTY MAX were there, HE would have sniffed out the hoax in a minute!  Two lines that made me laugh:  Machine Gun Kelly saying "I missed Father's Day with my daughter for THIS?!" and Hundra telling him "You got what you wanted out of this, you got publicity (or words to that effect)".

Next!

Weird episode. As noted, two straight guys bring the better message about lesbians. The catfishee (who wasn't) has more severe emotional problems than the catfish (who wasn't).Very poorly thought out coming out plan, or dramatic revelation about some lesbians. Funniest part for me, guy who looks like Jensen Ackles choosing to yell that "catfish" is "corny" and a "sad citizen", was it? Something like that. Unusual choice of words and condemnation, but I admire him for using that language rather than anything common that would have needed to be bleeped. Who says corny these last 30 years or so.

Also, random bonding over Nev's chest hair.

Just weird all the way around. I hope Hundra gets some counseling.

• Love 3

I wonder why the producers decided to go with this story, though. Do they really have nothing else to air?

Reality shows are supposed to be cheap to produce, so I'm sure once they've spent a certain amount, they're committed to finishing.

I think Hundra's story about wanting to come out & sticking up for Haitian lesbians was all bullshit, she just wanted to get her 15 minutes.

I loved that when the guys were ranting, one of them (Nev?) called it "15 seconds of fame".

Well that was...interesting. Honestly this show has gotten way too fake for me. I feel like the first season really did have genuine stories that needed to be told, but at this point I do feel that they need to just make a TV show and are coming up with these fake story submissions. This show had a good run. I really was intrigued the first couple seasons. Now, I find this boring and played out. As much as I enjoy Max and Nev, I simply can't with these stories anymore.

• Love 2

I don't get the hatred for Hundra. So many people have done much worse things on this show and they were treated a lot better than Hundra was treated. And who was that rapper? A wannabe Vanilla Ice IMO.

Yeah Kelly looked so big and bad disrespecting a black woman, just like every other rapper does, oh well.

I laughed when Hundra told that as that he was going to be on TV because of her. She was right because I have never heard of that guy before.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

When I first saw Machine Gun Kelly with his struggle tats and man-bun, I was all, "douche!" But I guess I played into stereotypes as much as Hundra did (insert "The More You Know" rainbow here).

I liked how quick he and Nev were to say, "Hey that's not OK" when Hundra referred to Geralyn as "this" (!!!) and that Geralyn probably wanted to convert her.

Line of the night was MGK's indignant, "You are a shameful citizen!"

• Love 4

@neuro chuck THANK YOU! I can't believe so many people here liked that "corny" (to use his favorite word) nobody "rapper/actor." Like he had the nerve to get mad at Hundra for exploiting the nature of the show for her own benefit when he SKIPPED father's day so he could be on this show for his own "15 seconds of fame" only to complain about it later. Hah. He was probably so mad cause he knew more people would be talking about her odd behavior than his attempt at being Max.<br /><br />I'm glad she called him out on it too. Only reason he had no comment was cause he couldn't deny it...

• Love 4

This show is just getting more and more ridiculous...which I didn't think was possible. I don't buy for a second that Hundra concocted this whole scheme for the good of Haitian lesbians. I mean, please! She needs serious counseling. Maybe some meds, too. And as much as a ridiculous poseur I thought that rapper was, I was glad that someone finally went off on one of these idiots and called them out on their bullshit.

• Love 2

I was really looking forward to seeing this episode because of the scene where Kelly yells. I really hoped that catfish wouldn't be sorry at all and that's why he was calling out a person. Unfortunately, this episode was a huge letdown. This show became my guilty pleasure and once I realized what this was about, I wasn't disappointed and not interested anymore.

As for Hundra, she seems like a selfish human being that knows no limits when it come to fulfilling her wishes. Considering she's a part of the LGBT community, I couldn't believe how much stereotype she had about her own community! It was disgusting to me the way she labelled people and threw insults around so easily, especially about Geralyn right in front of her! Like Nev said, she could have come out in a million different ways that would encourage young Haitians to do the same.

It's terrible that, unfortunately, her episode got aired and she actually got what she wanted (not to mention that we got a lousy episode).

• Love 2

This may have been addressed in the episode, but is Hundra a traditional Haitian name? I've sort of accepted that everyone involved with Catfish will have a unique approach to nomenclature, but this one seems especially unusual to me.

And as much as a ridiculous poseur I thought that rapper was, I was glad that someone finally went off on one of these idiots and called them out on their bullshit.

Why is it important that she was "called out?"  Who does it benefit?   It's like when a parent or teacher is screaming at a child for doing something silly.  Once you go off on someone all they hear is "blah, blah, blah."  

Why were they so angry at Hundra, who really didn't do anything all that bad.  I think the worst was that girl who used another girl's pictures and messed up that girl's life.  And on the first season, I remember a girl who fell in love with a guy and it turned out that the "guy" was another girl who didn't like the first girl and did the whole thing as a joke.  That was nasty.  What Hundra did was silly.  I think Nev was upset because HE looked like a fool.

But Hundra was right when she told the wannabe rapper that had it not been for this episode, he wouldn't have been on TV either.  And I still don't know who he is.

And why is it an issue that her name is Hundra?  Is everybody supposed to be named Mary, Jane, Catherine and Susan?

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2

I didn't have an issue with Hundra generally, other than her being misguided and fairly ignorant. My issue was that this show wasted the audience's time by airing this stupid episode. No one was being catfished, and that's kinda the point of this show. They've already aired an episode where the catfish angle was a hoax, so why air another? I'm guessing they didn't cut the filming off as soon as the truth came to light because stupid Kelly was insisting on getting his 15 minutes (seconds). His whole tantrum when he was yelling at Hundra's car (that was already long-gone) just showed his thirst for camera-time. I blame the show for making us go through this dumb disaster.

• Love 3

But Hundra was right when she told the wannabe rapper that had it not been for this episode, he wouldn't have been on TV either.

She was right about him being a hypocrite, but she was wrong about that; if it weren't for Hundra, Kelly would have still appeared on the show, with the episode just featuring somebody else who had applied.

• Love 3

It's really sick and sad that Hundra actually sat down and thought about how using these gross anti-lesbian stereotypes was how she wanted to portray herself on television--not employing them because she was actually angry or hurt, but intentionally as part of her 'message' which she never deviated from.  What a loser.  I'm sure other people have totally lied on the show, but as an equal agreement between both parties.  I'm glad that Hundra came out looking worse then how she tried to categorize her ""friend.""  And it's good that Kelly called her out.  I guess the 'fatfish' river from previous seasons has dried up (intentionally no doubt on the part of the producers,) so now it's just psychos and famewhores.

• Love 8

There actually was a real gangster named Machine Gun Kelly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Gun_Kelly

As for Hundra, she seems like a selfish human being that knows no limits when it come to fulfilling her wishes. Considering she's a part of the LGBT community, I couldn't believe how much stereotype she had about her own community!

This was a lame episode.  Hundra's feelings likely developed before she ever had any real contact with actually existing LGBT people.  The stereotypical ideas probably come from her reading and maybe from church.  She is just naive and frankly I have encountered these kinds  of ideas many times over the years from LGBT people (I am bi), many of whom were old enough and experienced enough to know better.  That said the girl has PROBLEMS.  

TaraAriano:The kind of person who'd make up a story to get on Catfish is not the kind of person who has the capacity ever to get why that's a bad idea.

Best one sentence summary of this episode.   

• Love 1

I really think MTV should get a backbone and not air episodes where Nev has been played for airtime.  Once they realize the catfish story is a fake, for whatever reason, pack up and leave.  As far as I'm concerned, my time was wasted - Kelly was not alone in his outrage.  They've set a bad precedent in allowing the story to continue.

Similar situation came up with the Whitney and Bre episode, which coincidentally involved black lesbians as well.

• Love 4

I really think MTV should get a backbone and not air episodes where Nev has been played for airtime.  Once they realize the catfish story is a fake, for whatever reason, pack up and leave.  As far as I'm concerned, my time was wasted - Kelly was not alone in his outrage.  They've set a bad precedent in allowing the story to continue.

Similar situation came up with the Whitney and Bre episode, which coincidentally involved black lesbians as well.

I totally agree. There are some creative people out there and by the Catfish producers showing they will air these dupes, encourages idiots such as this last idiot, who want to be on TV, to go for it. This Hundra woman, goes on to insult the girl who was helping her in this tomfoolery. Who does that? In a way it's a good thing she did or the other woman might not have "turned state evidence" lol and we might never have found out it was all a ruse. :::sigh:::

• Love 2

How do you come out as gay and in the same breath insult a gay person? Wtf

"Rememberable" hahaha the words this girl made up.

Love Kells yelling "you're a coward!" down the middle of the street.

I feel bad for Geralyn. I really liked her.

• Love 6

I just want to throw out there that his daughter is mixed--her mother is black, so without trying to turn this into an "I have black friends" sort of comment, I don't think her race had anything to do with it. From what I know of him, he's far from any kind of racist. (Eta: I think I originally misread the comment I was replying to, and after rereading, I get what the poster was saying. I'll let this stay anyway, just for clarity. Sorry for the edits; this is what I get for posting this late!)

I think he maybe saw it as an integrity thing, but since most of us viewers know this show lost its integrity a long time ago, I'll give him a slight pass on that, lol.

So who is this guy?

I think he's dating Amber Rose, but I'm not sure.

I know who he is and I know he has a huge following, but all my info is passive, just things I've picked up from reading various sites.

ETA: Darn it, I meant to reply to two comments but somehow forgot to quote

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 1

I don't care about people using the show, because this show is such crap anyway. Even the "behind the scenes" shows are lies, so they can have a seat with that mess.

What bothered me about Hundra is the way she was talking about Geralyn and lesbians in general. Insinuating that she was turned is not only a lie, but is harmful. Not for nothing, but that's why gay men and women have been beaten and murdered, over bullshit beliefs like that. So yeah, that little rant of hers was bound to ruffle some feathers, and is just as bad as any other stereotype.

As for MGK missing Father's Day, why come on the show if it's that important? Does the outcome matter? You missed Father's Day either way, dummy!

Edited : I just read the recap and see Tara hit the nail right on the head. I'm still laughing at "affectation toothpick" haha.

I also want to add that while MGK may get a slight pass for being so pissy, I think calling someone a "piece of shit" for being a lying liar who lies on a show known being a lying liar of a show who lies, is a bit overboard. That bothered me more than anything, I think.

Edited by Scorpiosunshine
  • Love 1

I don't fault Hundra for this, I fault MTV for showing it.  They didn't have to.

I also don't get this serious hate for Hundra when there have been many people on this show who have done much worse, like use someone else's pictures.

As for MGK missing Father's Day, why come on the show if it's that important? Does the outcome matter? You missed Father's Day either way, dummy!

I can see MGK's POV, and it must suck to have things turn out the way they did, but he should have known the odds were against him.

So basically, she thinks she's cool for wanting "a lipstick lesbian" and she thinks butches are predators? I loved how Nev and Kelly shut that down.

Yes, but I'm not sure I agree with the way they jumped on her right at the beginning for saying that she wasn't into the masculine look. What she likes or doesn't like is up to her (until she starts insulting anyone).

I don't fault Hundra for this, I fault MTV for showing it.  They didn't have to.

I also don't get this serious hate for Hundra when there have been many people on this show who have done much worse, like use someone else's pictures.

I fault both Hundra and MTV.  Hundra shouldn't have created this big huge ruse just to come out on TV and MTV DEFINITELY should not have aired it.

As far as the Hundra hate, I don't think it's any more than the hatred for the others you mentioned previously, it's just that this is the newest episode to air so the feelings are fresh.  But, I do also agree that what she did WAS really bad.  The stereotypes she perpetrated and the fact that she couldn't see at all that coming out this way is a bad idea puts her on the "bad person" list for me.  

I do get that most of what she said was probably regurgitation of the stuff she learned from her anti-gay community.  But, it was also obvious she was just WAITING for the first moment to insult Geralyn and say that Geralyn was trying to convert her because it literally came from nowhere and made no sense in the context of what they were even talking about at that point.  Nev was all like "wait, huh?" when she spouted those words.  

• Love 5

Wow, seriously!? I must have been watching a  different show.

I know right?? Even if she was truly Catfished the moment immediately after she 'met' Geralyn for the first time I thought "wow... this might be the first time the Catfishee actually looks worse than the Catfish" just because of what she was saying!!!

• Love 4

Well, that was annoying!  I actually like Kelly (he was oddly endearing) and I thought it was cute that he was hoping for love.  Like many of you, I miss Max and his epic "WTF?!  Oh Hell NO!" faces with some of the more obnoxious, entitled people.  He surely would have given those expressions a heavy workout during this episode.

I think moreso than ever, these last few episodes have just felt dirty, wrong and a waste of time.  I like this show for the trainwreck factor and I can be perfectly content when it is trashy ("why don't you take my rose?!" "it isn't how you look, it is that you LIED to me!!").  But tonight's episode had all sorts of wrong happening.  

I agree that it was a sad indictment on the others involved when the straight (I think straight, not sure...Kelly and Nev are def not lesbians) males are doing the best job of speaking with some sense of...sense and decency re:  being gay and taking offense to Hundra's nasty, bigoted words.  At least, Geralyne was moved to come clean when she realized how Hundra was making her out to be some straight girl converter (I mean, what?!) like "so many lesbians" (I mean, what?!).  Melanie was just plain mean, playing on Geralyne's feelings for her.  And Geralyne needed to grow a backbone.  I was disappointed to see her with Melanie at the end.  

Re: Hundra's motive.  I'm sympathetic to your cause, hon.  I'm from the Caribbean too. Culturally, I will agree that some are not very open to anything outside of traditionally heterosexuality and those "other" categories are seen as shame on the family.  That's a terrible thing that we should be ashamed of and change; while I appreciate Hundra trying to shed some light, IMO, she went about it totally and completely the wrong way.  To lie, slander and basically be an ass on TV isn't going to help your people move on and learn to accept and embrace.  WHAT was she thinking?  

• Love 1

To my thinking, if what Hundra said was true - I know, I know - if anything she's bisexual, not a lesbian. She said in the beginning that she had been in multiple heterosexual relationships and had gotten her heart broken, Emily/Melanie/Geralyn was the first woman she had developed romantic feelings for. I would think she would be somewhat truthful about this part of her backstory, simply because presumably her friends and family would know if she had never had a boyfriend. I guess I just don't understand why literally nobody on the show, upon hearing her backstory (truthful or not) raised the possibility of her being bisexual. Everyone was like " oh, you're coming out as gay" as if none of those heterosexual relationships meant anything, when she said at least one of them did.

Hundra came across as entitled, ugly on the inside, immature, and incapable of self reflection, much less an apology. The other two she was in cahoots with came across as harmless but vapid.

Nothing about this episode made any sense. I was left with the feeling that everyone involved came away looking bad, except for Nev, who remained professional in the face of such trifling behavior.

• Love 1