Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: eps1.8_m1rr0r1ng.qt

• Start Topic

This will be an unpopular opinion, and I will preface this by saying that I actually really like the show, but they are playing fast and loose with the schizophrenia diagnosis practically bordering on multiple personalities (the way it is presented). This is a big WTF for me, when Elliott "talks" to Mr. Robot, and we are now to assume that Mr. Robot is truly a visual hallucination, THEN onlookers should react to this. People move away from someone doing this and they react to it. I have been carefully watching scenes in public places and no one reacts. The train platform last night, there were people close enough in the background, that they may notice him and react to him talking to himself. The bar scene was another one. I know that the show didn't want to give it away so early on, soooooo, there you go. In addition, why didn't doctor Dr. Krista have him committed?  He is definitely fits the criteria for a 36-72 hours hold. 

Statistically speaking, visual hallucinations are more rare in schizophrenia than auditory, but it makes for a better dramatic effect for the viewer to "see" Mr. Robot. The thing that really was accurate though, is how the hallucinations (auditory or visual) will convince the person that others are out to harm them, that there are secret plots against them, not to take their meds, etc... When Mr. Robot was going through all of the reasons that Elliott needs to isolate from others-even friends, it really reminded me of some of the patients that I worked with and how they did things such as, barricade themselves in their house afraid that people were trying to poison them, run away into the woods because people are out to get them, stop eating because "people" were trying to sabotage their food, etc....

I agree that Rami is doing a great job. I even think that Christian Slater is pretty good. That window broke way too easily for a decent window though. 

thanks to the miracles of technology, people no longer pay much attention when someone is talking to someone who "isn't there." They just assume he's got a bluetooth or something.

• Love 1

I haven't seen anyone address this so... If you look at the popcorn machine go off at the end of the episode, popcorn is a sign for a new bond, or collaborative idea. This makes me think that tyrel will likely be a big part in fsociety and not try to use his bond with Elliot to gain traction in evil corp again like someone previously mentioned.

I haven't seen anyone address this so... If you look at the popcorn machine go off at the end of the episode, popcorn is a sign for a new bond, or collaborative idea. This makes me think that tyrel will likely be a big part in fsociety and not try to use his bond with Elliot to gain traction in evil corp again like someone previously mentioned.

Didn't Darlene hide a gun in the popcorn?

• Love 3

Didn't Darlene hide a gun in the popcorn?

She did, but at the end of the episode the popcorn machine randomly starts popping. I saw it as symbolism.

Well, both guns and popcorn go off with a popping/bang sound, so there's another level of symbolism. Pick your poison symbols.
  • Love 1

Beautiful ending with where is my mind 10/10, best episode so far IMO

I've just watched it, and the piano piece was beautiful. It fit the scene perfectly. I also liked the, "you knew all along, didn't you?"

Edited by Anela
  • Love 2

I've just watched it, and the piano piece was beautiful. It fit the scene perfectly. I also liked the, "you knew all along, didn't you?"

That music sounded so familiar, but I can't place it. Does anyone know if that was pre-existing music?

That music sounded so familiar, but I can't place it. Does anyone know if that was pre-existing music?

This was actually talked about quite a bit previously in the thread;

Then they played that fantastic piano version of "Where is My Mind," the Pixies song from Fight Club.  Not running from the source material at all.
  • Love 3

Anyway, I wasn't questioning that there weren't 3½" floppies in '94. I just thought maybe since it looked like he was trading in used computers that he should've been recycling the bigger floppies, but I imagine it might be difficult for the props guys to get them.

The original Macintosh computers, which came out in 1984, had 3.5" floppies.

• Love 1
On 8/20/2015 at 5:10 PM, Miles said:

They are also playing fast and loose with the hacking since episode one (really, Elliot controls the TOR-network, didn't realise god had another son). I raged for a while, then I got over it.

But I have to say it did make it much more infuriating that this show almost gets stuff right, but not quite. I wouldn't have raged so much if hacking was basically magic, like it is in most shows. Is it the same with the mental health aspect?

I guess they don't want to show real hacking, because then people could actually do it in real life.

On 8/24/2015 at 1:56 PM, lidarose9 said:

I am tired of shows with imaginary characters that exist only in the protagonist's head. It's cheap and lazy and cliche. 

I keep watching because Rami Malek is spellbinding. 

Have you seen the show "River"? It is another show where the protagonist (a homicide detective) sees an imaginary person (someone he knew that died). But it's a wonderful show and the lead actor is great.

I agree about Rami Malek -- I can't take my eyes off him.