Type keyword(s) to search

Valerie's Home Cooking - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm sorry, but she sounds like a loon! She really needs to get some help. I want to ask her this: if they were so in love, why did they get a divorce? I feel she is being so disrespectful to Eddie's widow. Just my take on it. 

• Love 10

This was posted upthread:

"I read an excerpt that said that Eddie’s marriage to Janie was basically over. Curious if that is true - I haven’t seen anything where Janie has spoken about Ed’s death recently or addressed Valerie’s claims.

EDITED JANUARY 8 BY @INSERT USERNAME"

So maybe no love lost there...

15 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Here's a segment of her on Kelly

OMG, you weren't exaggerating, it really WAS that bad.  She needs more than just grief counseling.  How mortifying, it's like everything keeps coming back to Eddie and Wolfie over and over again.  I feel sorry for her now ex husband Tom.  The way Kelly was going on about how special her relationship was with Eddie even post divorce felt creepy-disrespectful.

And I feel sorry for her and empathize because I am around her age and have developed similar weight issues, but she does herself no favors wearing those ginormous tent tops that only make her look heavier.  Is she styling herself?  Because if not her stylist should be fired.  It does look like she has put on more weight in the past year, too.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, andidante said:

I'm sorry, but she sounds like a loon! She really needs to get some help. I want to ask her this: if they were so in love, why did they get a divorce? I feel she is being so disrespectful to Eddie's widow. Just my take on it. 

Yeah, even if he was divorced from his wife before he died, have some respect for her.  Valerie is stealing her thunder inappropriately.  If I were her I'd be telling her to just STFU and let me grieve in peace.

• Love 8

If her soon to be ex was a good, decent man & they just drifted apart or whatever, fell out of love, etc. then she is really being shitty disrespectful to him also. If this were done to me, in public, & in print after 10 years of marriage I’d be devastated, embarrassed & livid.  

• Love 8
On 1/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, chediavolo said:

If her soon to be ex was a good, decent man & they just drifted apart or whatever, fell out of love, etc. then she is really being shitty disrespectful to him also. If this were done to me, in public, & in print after 10 years of marriage I’d be devastated, embarrassed & livid.  

I agree. It’s not like she only dated the guy for a month. They were married. For years. They blended their families and made a life together. And she’s out here behaving like none of it existed and Eddie this and Eddie that. Cringe. 

• Love 6
On 1/22/2022 at 3:21 AM, chediavolo said:

I read her book and basically this is exactly what she said happened. When she addresses that, it almost seemed like an afterthought, not much space is devoted to him, just a couple of paragraphs. I don't see how any marriage, even a strong one, could survive her public gushing over her ex. 

It comes out loud and clear that she regrets that she and Ed broke up, even though she says they were not looking at getting back together. He was clearly the love of her life. I wonder how Tom and his family feel? I remember she had his kids on her show a couple of times. I'd love to hear his side of the story.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, rcc said:

Does she reveal why she and Eddie divorced in her book?

She left him because of his drinking and drug use, she didn't want Wolfie to be exposed to it. (Although she did let Wolfie go on the road with Ed when he was 16.) In one of her earlier books she went into it more, I can't remember the details now, but she said she also was at fault, I think there was an affair (her) and basically that they were both hurting each other.  She says now that she thinks if they had worked through it they would have stayed married.

I did see her post on Instagram yesterday, Eddie in a bathing suit. I don't think she realizes or cares that she is behaving inappropriately. I feel sorry for her.  I get the feeling that she would like to wipe away the years she was married to Tom and play the grieving widow role now. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, debbie311 said:

She left him because of his drinking and drug use, she didn't want Wolfie to be exposed to it. (Although she did let Wolfie go on the road with Ed when he was 16.) In one of her earlier books she went into it more, I can't remember the details now, but she said she also was at fault, I think there was an affair (her) and basically that they were both hurting each other.  She says now that she thinks if they had worked through it they would have stayed married.

I did see her post on Instagram yesterday, Eddie in a bathing suit. I don't think she realizes or cares that she is behaving inappropriately. I feel sorry for her.  I get the feeling that she would like to wipe away the years she was married to Tom and play the grieving widow role now. 

Thanks. Yes it sounds like she regrets it now. But I feel bad for his wife and Tom.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, debbie311 said:

I don't think trying to wipe away her relationship with Tom is going to work.  And I think she is engaging in some revisionist history regarding Eddie.  I think throwing herself into the fantasy that things might have worked out with Eddie is somehow less difficult for her than facing the trauma of her breakup with Tom.  She can attempt to erase her marriage from Tom but it's going to come back to haunt her and bite her in the butt one of these days.  You can try to run from your problems but somehow they always catch up to you.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Yep, they both cheated on each other. I remember watching (or reading?) an interview of Valerie’s a long time ago. She said Eddie cheated on her and she discovered it when the woman posted selfies taken from Valerie and Eddie’s bed. And Valerie admitted to cheating on Eddie with another musician I believe. Eddie’s drug use also caused major tension in the marriage. Their divorce was totally understandable. Infidelity and drug use are extremely tough issues that can’t always be worked out. What I find very weird is Valerie airbrushing poor Tom out of her life and being all over the media now about Eddie being the love of her life. It’s disrespectful to Tom, his kids (her step kids), and Eddie’s wife (even though her marriage to Eddie ended in 2020). 

Edited by Mrs. Landingham
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

Yep, they both cheated on each other. I remember watching (or reading?) an interview of Valerie’s a long time ago. She said Eddie cheated on her and she discovered it when the woman posted selfies taken from Valerie and Eddie’s bed. And Valerie admitted to cheating on Eddie with another musician I believe. Eddie’s drug use also caused major tension in the marriage. Their divorce was totally understandable. Infidelity and drug use are extremely tough issues that can’t always be worked out. What I find very weird is Valerie airbrushing poor Tom out of her life and being all over the media now about Eddie being the love of her life. It’s disrespectful to Tom, his kids (her step kids), and Eddie’s wife (even though her marriage to Eddie ended in 2020). 

Yes - in her first book she mentions an affair she had with a drummer five years into the marriage. Eddie always told her he didn't start cheating until after she did - but considering VH had a "groupie tent" AND the marriage started during a paternity suit (bc Eddie wasn't sure if oral sex got you pregnant??) I'm thinking the couple had some sort of agreement or arrangement bc Valerie mentioned a few other incidents on both their parts. 

The first book mentions the big love she had for Ed but talks more about the misery - the infidelity, the drug use and Eddie's carelessness with his health. Valerie is entitled to every one of her feelings but she's had three books to mull over essentially the same subject matter - her ex's widow doesn't have that outlet and the fact Valerie was the one to mention the widow wasn't living with Ed seems...gross. I can't imagine what the estate settlement arguments are going to look like.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, buttersister said:

Valerie was on some talk show last week saying that Eddie AND WOLFIE were/are her soulmates. You can have more than one, she claimed.

Get help, Val.

I find it creepy for a parent to call their child their "soulmate", especially their opposite sex adult child.  Poor Wolfie.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I find it creepy for a parent to call their child their "soulmate", especially their opposite sex adult child.  Poor Wolfie.

Yes it was interesting. Never heard that before about a child. Being mother & child should be enough. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, buttersister said:

Valerie was on some talk show last week saying that Eddie AND WOLFIE were/are her soulmates. You can have more than one, she claimed.

Get help, Val.

Good gracious. I’m starting to wonder if something really, really bad happened between Valerie and Tom that she won’t talk about but is getting revenge by waxing nostalgic in public forums about Eddie. She has spent nearly her entire life in “the biz” and she understands PR and how to give interviews. It’s not like she is a wide-eyed innocent who is getting misquoted. She knows what she’s doing. She is totally giving Tom and Eddie’s widow the middle finger right now. Yeeeeesh. 

• Love 3

I also think it is sad that the people interviewing her encourage her behavior instead of asking her hard questions. And the "fans" on her page don't help either. I think she forgets that she is NOT Eddie's widow. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Mrs. Landingham said:

I’m starting to wonder if something really, really bad happened between Valerie and Tom that she won’t talk about but is getting revenge by waxing nostalgic in public forums about Eddie. She has spent nearly her entire life in “the biz” and she understands PR and how to give interviews. It’s not like she is a wide-eyed innocent who is getting misquoted.

She did an "In My Own Words" episode about two years ago (it's like Lifetime Intimate Portrait but not as good) and said that she and Eddie had known each other for "many lifetimes", so I think she's been working this angle for a while. But I agree - there's no way she doesnt know what she's doing here.

I just remembered Valerie did Intimate Portrait as well back in the day - she complained that she wasn't fat so the tabloids shouldn't call her that and Eddie said the tabloids had to stop saying they were going to divorce bc they were never going to leave each other.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, chick binewski said:

She did an "In My Own Words" episode about two years ago (it's like Lifetime Intimate Portrait but not as good) and said that she and Eddie had known each other for "many lifetimes", so I think she's been working this angle for a while. But I agree - there's no way she doesnt know what she's doing here.

I just remembered Valerie did Intimate Portrait as well back in the day - she complained that she wasn't fat so the tabloids shouldn't call her that and Eddie said the tabloids had to stop saying they were going to divorce bc they were never going to leave each other.

I think it’s because she comes across as so sweet and nice which she may very well be in real life we don’t know, that she gets away with this behavior. I feel sorry for Eddie’s  actual widow and for her ex husband. And to call your son a soulmate that is just creeptastic. 

• Love 5

She said in the book that she and Tom felt the same way about their marriage. She is nothing but respectful in her words about him and said in a recent interview that he isn’t a public person as she is and that it would be wrong for her to address specifics about their issues.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I saw her in a segment on the Rachel Ray Show about a week ago and she wasn't nearly as emotional and creepy and didn't mention Eddie and Wolfie that much if at all.  She actually spent most of the time honoring her memory of Betty White.  Maybe she got wind of the criticism and decided to edit herself.  Who knows?

• Love 2

I’ve always liked Valerie as an actress and particularly on her cooking show. I think she’s had a very difficult time with Eddie’s death, her son’s grief, her grief and her failing marriage to Tom. That’s a lot for anyone to handle. However. She needs to get some serious help to balance all of this emotion in her life. I wish her well.

• Love 2

Finished the book during my lunch today.

Very good, but one thing that did surprise me was how low her self-esteem was; girl, you were BarbaraFuckingCooper, every man’s tight jeaned dream!  It always amazes me to find out that gorgeous people are their own worst critics.

I’d also kill to know what happened between her and Tom….I could count on one hand how many times he was mentioned, everything else was about Wolfie/Ed’s cancer/Ed passing away.

• Love 1

Just started reading the book immediately she talks about how she made spinach and crab dip with crackers on the Kelly Clarkson show and took the leftovers home ( really Valerie you couldn’t have left it there for the crew maybe !) to bring them to her son Wolfie‘s house. Then she says she head straight to the kitchen as she usually does when she visits him. So yes she is bringing him food and feeding him crap more than likely because it seems to be all that she makes, very unhealthy meals. 

• Love 1

Very good, but one thing that did surprise me was how low her self-esteem was; girl, you were BarbaraFuckingCooper, every man’s tight jeaned dream!  

A female's, particularly a child's, self-esteem and value must not be based on how others view her appearance and sexual desirability.  

• Love 2
On 2/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Very good, but one thing that did surprise me was how low her self-esteem was; girl, you were BarbaraFuckingCooper, every man’s tight jeaned dream!  It always amazes me to find out that gorgeous people are their own worst critics.

Did she mention in the book how her father used to criticize her mother's appearance and weight and that's where she got her body dysmorphia from?  Like no matter how thin or pretty she was she never thought she was thin or pretty enough.  I forget where I heard her talking about that.  It must have been some interview.  That's very sad and my heart goes out to her for that.  I think a lot of women suffer from some of that, myself included but for me it came from my mother who didn't like her own body and some of that wore off on me.  She thought she was too short and "too Mediterranean looking".  She was of Sicilian descent and 4'11", but stunningly beautiful.  In her case it didn't come from her family but from cultural ideals that made her feel less than acceptable.  Clothes back then were all made for women about 5'7" tall so she had to learn to sew if she was going to look good.  I didn't suffer from it as bad as my mom or Valerie but I still can relate.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Did she mention in the book how her father used to criticize her mother's appearance and weight and that's where she got her body dysmorphia from?  Like no matter how thin or pretty she was she never thought she was thin or pretty enough.  I forget where I heard her talking about that.  It must have been some interview.  That's very sad and my heart goes out to her.

She mentioned it.  She also brought up a teacher pointing to her stomach and commenting that she should keep an eye on it.

Currently watching S8 of ODAAT after Barbara marries Mark...Valerie was stunning, it is hard to believe she was going through that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Valerie seems to be a good person , a nice person , but  sorry , I think she is super messed up and she is self absorbed and selfish . 
Her need to follow Wolfie around and relive her days with Eddie is just looking weird after seeing her obsessing over Eddie all the time .No wonder her marriage to Tom fell apart  .

Instead is writing a book, doing tell all interviews and taking advice from fake wanna be life coaches in the Today show she really needs a shrink !   The again , she is making money off of revealing her obsessing about Eddie and talking about her weight, and every little feeling she has , so she would she stop? She also has women all over social media feeling she is “just like me” and encouraging her bizarre behavior !

Right now I can only tolerate her on the Kids Baking Championship shows . Her cooking shows I used to enjoy turned into her blabbing endlessly about Eddie and his mother , or having Wolfie on and treating him like a 10 year old !

BTW , Wolfie may be talented . I don’t know . I used to like some of Van Halen’s music , but over all I can’t stand that kind of music, so I can only watch like two second of Val’s groupie videos of the concerts ! He also seems like a mamma’s boy and really should think about losing some weight ! He looks gross and unhealthy while Valerie stuffs him with more food , even on tour !

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, orangekit said:

Valerie seems to be a good person , a nice person , but  sorry , I think she is super messed up and she is self absorbed and selfish . 
Her need to follow Wolfie around and relive her days with Eddie is just looking weird after seeing her obsessing over Eddie all the time .No wonder her marriage to Tom fell apart  .

Instead is writing a book, doing tell all interviews and taking advice from fake wanna be life coaches in the Today show she really needs a shrink !   The again , she is making money off of revealing her obsessing about Eddie and talking about her weight, and every little feeling she has , so she would she stop? She also has women all over social media feeling she is “just like me” and encouraging her bizarre behavior !

Right now I can only tolerate her on the Kids Baking Championship shows . Her cooking shows I uSed to enjoy turned into her blabbing endlessly about Eddie and his mother , or having Wolfie on and treating him like a 10 year old !

BTW , Wolfie may be talented . I don’t know . I used to like some of Van Halen’s music , but over all I can’t stand that kind of music, so I can only watch like two second of Val’s groupie videos of the concerts ! He also seems like a mamma’s boy and really should think about losing some weight ! He looks gross and unhealthy while Valerie stuffs him with more food , even on tour !

She definitely sounds  like an overbearing mother. Her son is In his 30’s. The recipes in her book are terribly unhealthy. Why is she bringing her son this  food that he should not be eating? I feel for the man.I was shocked to see her say and I paraphrase “ I’m lucky I have no health problems “ well she is blessed for sure!😳 High BP, diabetes, high cholesterol? Especially being overweight besides eating garbage. It is funny how she seems so  sweet & nice and together on the one hand but on the other: obsessed with ex, overbearing mom, etc. And I do like her, she is human but I hope she sees a counselor and keeps  getting her BP cholesterol, and diabetes tests. At this age things start to catch up with you. 
I have heard her say numerous times how she hates reading the comments on her relationship with Ed and her weight. Well in my opinion that’s the trade off for being a millionaire celebrity and living in a beautiful home in CA with no money woes. I’m not crying for you, too many people with worse problems out there. 

Edited by chediavolo
Spell
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I have heard her say numerous times how she hates reading the comments on her relationship with Ed and her weight. Well in my option that’s the trade off for being a millionaire celebrity and living in a beautiful home in CA with no money woes. I’m not crying for you, too many people with worse problems out there. 

And this is what I really don't understand. Valerie made good 80's money, she's continued to work, has a home and family and friends. Even though she would seem well-set for retirement if she wants to continue to make money FN pays her well over a million a year at least. She doesn't have to write a book exposing secrets because she can't get a job anywhere else. I understand her employers may want a social media presence but I'm pretty sure they don't direct the subject matter.

I hate that what celebrity culture and money they are paid makes me dislike pretty much everyone. I posted this over in the QVC thread but it goes here as well - how many helpings do people need? 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, chediavolo said:

I have heard her say numerous times how she hates reading the comments on her relationship with Ed and her weight. Well in my option that’s the trade off for being a millionaire celebrity and living in a beautiful home in CA with no money woes. I’m not crying for you, too many people with worse problems out there. 

To paraphrase an expression, "Hers are 1st world problems".

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

To paraphrase an expression, "Hers are 1st world problems".

Very true 

20 hours ago, chediavolo said:

She definitely sounds  like an overbearing mother. Her son is In his 30’s. The recipes in her book are terribly unhealthy. Why is she bringing her son this  food that he should not be eating? I feel for the man.I was shocked to see her say and I paraphrase “ I’m lucky I have no health problems “ well she is blessed for sure!😳 High BP, diabetes, high cholesterol? Especially being overweight besides eating garbage. It is funny how she seems so  sweet & nice and together on the one hand but on the other: obsessed with ex, overbearing mom, etc. And I do like her, she is human but I hope she sees a counselor and keeps  getting her BP cholesterol, and diabetes tests. At this age things start to catch up with you. 
I have heard her say numerous times how she hates reading the comments on her relationship with Ed and her weight. Well in my opinion that’s the trade off for being a millionaire celebrity and living in a beautiful home in CA with no money woes. I’m not crying for you, too many people with worse problems out there. 

Her relationship with Wolfie seems unhealthy in many ways ! She seems to still see him as a child and also like he is another version of Eddie so she can relive her days following um around on tour . 
Wolfie looks super unhealthy and just gross because he looks like he needs a good bath ! Then again, I also can’t stand the grungy look and the type of music he plays .  Valerie stuffing her obese adult son with food is just bizarre. 

Valerie comes across as really sweet with kids and with her friends . But I also think her reputation for being “nice” and the way she presents herself makes people not notice that she is very selfish, whiney and sometimes nasty .

Besides ignoring how Tom’s feelings and how Eddie’s ex wife might feel , she also is kind of a nutjob on Twitter . She name calls , insults and is a tag team with her mamma’s boy son attacking anyone who cares say something negative about her Wolfie ! 
She’s super political too .  I am surprised FN doesn’t have some social media guidelines for their stars .

BTW if she’s sick of comments bout her weight and Eddie she should stop sharing every emotion and crying online about her weight so that her fans tell her how wonderful she is ! 
She’s not 20, she’s 60 and very media savy , she’s been in show business her whole life ! Seems like someone wants sympathy and attention !

Honestly ,  I am very sick of celebrities , especially women who feel they need to over share every experience and feeling with strangers on social media and have meltdowns !  Valerie , Adele , Kelly Clarkson , all three had cringeworthy meltdowns and over sharing on social media .
Why can’t celebrities have some level of privacy and have their  meltdowns with their close family, friends and therapists , while they talk to the public about their lives with some level of professionalism?  Right now between reality tv and social media everyone feels they need to share every unfiltered thought and feeling , and it’s not healthy for them or their fans who think it’s a great thing to do !

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, marmalade said:

Valerie comes across as really sweet with kids and with her friends . But I also think her reputation for being “nice” and the way she presents herself makes people not notice that she is very selfish, whiney and sometimes nasty .

This is very true too!  I've known of her forever and learning this unflattering stuff about her so late in the game is making me feel duped, like her "nice" persona is all an act.  And then I realized that she is an actress, after all.

• Love 2
(edited)

After looking at her twitter & reading her new book, I suspect she loves attention , can’t sit still & is totally denying the fact that those extra 50 lbs she’s carrying around won’t someday soon cause health issues. Keep making that seriously unhealthy food. Omg. And obsessed with ex husband & grown ass child. 
Good grief this book is like she thinks she’s writing a self help book. So far I’m almost halfway through and it’s just repeating the same stuff over and over again.

It’s really starting to grate that she thinks she has such problems as was said above “first world problems”. The affirmations the enjoying the birds the sun blah blah blah. She talks about her garden and all her fruit trees and does mention that she has a  fantastic Gardener  to take care of it all. Yes that’s also easy to go and pick the beautiful fruit after someone else has made that possible for you. celebrities just do not know what normal life is . yeah it’s easy when you’re a millionaire Val. There are people that have to take three buses to work two jobs every day and still have trouble paying their bills .  God I am getting sick of celebrities but after so many years it’s such a habit, I can’t stop the interest. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wow this book really stinks. And hey surprise it’s 90% about her ex-husband . It was touted as a book about where she comes to terms with liking her body and not needing to lose the weight I just assumed it was going to be more about her life and how she deals with such things. I didn’t know it was going to be such a bummer.
How, in the fall of 2020 when Covid was raging,  was she able to go see her ex-husband in the hospital every day? She writes the room included not just her but her son, her ex-husband‘s wife, his brother etc. I was not allowed to even walk into the hospital with a relative when she was having a procedure.  I had to stay in the car! No visiting. People died alone. I don’t think California was all that lax. Something sounds wrong. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Wow this book really stinks. And hey surprise it’s 90% about her ex-husband . It was touted as a book about where she comes to terms with liking her body and not needing to lose the weight I just assumed it was going to be more about her life and how she deals with such things. I didn’t know it was going to be such a bummer.
How, in the fall of 2020 when Covid was raging,  was she able to go see her ex-husband in the hospital every day? She writes the room included not just her but her son, her ex-husband‘s wife, his brother etc. I was not allowed to even walk into the hospital with a relative when she was having a procedure.  I had to stay in the car! No visiting. People died alone. I don’t think California was all that lax. Something sounds wrong. 

They are celebrities. Completely different rules for the “haves” during this entire COVID ordeal. 

• Love 2
On 3/5/2022 at 5:40 PM, opus said:

An update on Valerie’s potential sitcom return. Hungry got passed on as a single camera show, is being retooled as a multi camera show, and Demi Levato is out of the acting side of things.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/demi-lovato-exits-hungry-nbc-comedy-pilot-acting-executive-producer-1234970881/

Ariel Winter is replacing Lovato

https://tvline.com/2022/03/06/ariel-winter-hungry-cast-replacing-demi-lovato-nbc/

Valerie was in the “news” saying that she got rid of her scale and feels better ! I understand not being obsessed with losing weight and hating yourself for not being skinny, but it sure seems like people  think that weight is not a health issue , it’s not just about looks. 

Valerie is 60 now and if she really eats the way she cooks, she may have some health issues . Her son also is obese and she seems provide him with a lot of fatty , sugary, unhealthy foods!

What is scary is how so many women seem to idolize Valerie and use her to validate their possible obesity since she says it’s “ok”! She’s an actress not a doctor , and there is difference  between fat shaming , or being mean to someone because they are overweight, and just acting like it’s not a health issue .

Edited by orangekit
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, orangekit said:

Once Valerie was in the “news” saying that she got rid of her scale and feels better ! I understood not being obsessed with losing weight and hating yourself for not being skinny, but it sure seems like people  think that weight is not a health issue , it’s not just about looks. 

Valerie is 60 now and if she really eats the way she cooks, she may have some health issues . Her son also is obese and she seems provide him with a lot of fatty , sugary, unhealthy foods!

What is scary is how so many women seem to idolize Valerie and use her to validate their possible obesity since she says it’s “ok”! She’s an actress not a doctor , and there is diffenxr between fat shaming or being mean to someone because they are overweight, and just acting like it’s not a health issue .

Amen. I could’ve written this myself. No one should ever ever make fun of or disrespect an overweight or obese person. But neither should an overweight person say that they are healthy and there is no need for them to lose weight. I’m talking Health. Valerie has gone over into Rachael Ray territory she looks terrible. Wonder if she realizes how lucky she is that she doesn’t have high blood pressure, diabetes or any of the many obesity related diseases. But then again she’s only 60 or so and will most likely develop something. Her son, it makes me very sad To see how large he is. I have to wonder what she fed him growing up because he has always been overweight.  There isn’t any excuse when you are incredibly wealthy, not to hire a cook or a trainer just to get to a point where you’re not going to have a heart attack. It actually makes me very jealous because I wish I had the funds to be able to hire a cook & coach. 

• Love 1

FYI, her new season is starting this coming Sunday at 11:30 a.m.

BTW, saying this as a 63 year old woman who (like Valerie) since menopause has had a weight issue, Valerie is NOWHERE NEAR heavy enough to be experiencing major medical issues as a result of any excess weight.  

Speaking of my weight gain, I had a rather expensive DNA test done last year that told me I have the "fat gene" or whatever set of genes they refer to as that.  Like my mother, grandmother and great grandmother on the same side I was thin until perimenopause, then suddenly gained weight.  For a few years going into that I was able to manage my weight with diet and exercise, which not-so-coincidentally was around the same time Valerie was losing weight on Jenny Craig.  So was I, and on Jenny Craig, and then Weight Watchers, then my own thing.  I was very successful with that for years.  Then very close to menopause no amount of diet and exercise prevented me from gaining weight.  It was crazy.  The counselors at my local Jenny pretty much accused me of lying about what I was eating and how much exercise I was getting.  I had to complain to the manager, who when she found out I was nearing menopause apologized and said (and I quote), "Oh, you're menopausal?  Forget it, you won't lose weight."

Now at my age, there's no managing it as it has become impossible without resorting to starvation.  I can maintain at a certain weight with diet and exercise, but not lose.  When I tell my doctors my story, they all tell me they are aware of the problem and are "working on a solution".  Obviously female hormones were protecting me from gaining weight for decades and now that they have changed I am receiving no such protection.  Unfortunately I have a strong sensitivity to estrogen supplements so even if it were possible to treat with estrogen, that couldn't be a solution for me.

Anyway, the point of the story is that when women get older there are a LOT of reasons for weight gain that have ZERO to do with what they're eating.  Many of my friends suffer from the same or similar problems with post-menopausal weight gain.  MILLIONS of women post menopause experience weight gain.  They're not all stupid, gluttonous, lazy, weak-willed or undisciplined.  Thank goodness my doctors (both of whom are women, BTW) are recognizing that now and not putting the blame on me.  Unfortunately because of Valerie's family history she seems to be having a hard time accepting that she is likely not to blame for her weight gain.  She should have her DNA tested and go to the right doctors, it might help her get over her self blame and improve her image of herself.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 7
On 4/15/2022 at 1:03 PM, orangekit said:

Valerie was in the “news” saying that she got rid of her scale and feels better ! I understand not being obsessed with losing weight and hating yourself for not being skinny, but it sure seems like people  think that weight is not a health issue , it’s not just about looks. 

What is scary is how so many women seem to idolize Valerie and use her to validate their possible obesity since she says it’s “ok”! She’s an actress not a doctor , and there is difference  between fat shaming , or being mean to someone because they are overweight, and just acting like it’s not a health issue .

I don't watch Valerie all the time but her food doesn't seem that gluttonous.  She certainly isn't Ree Drummond or Rachel Ray. She does seem to like to make desserts, I dont have  sweet tooth so I dont bother paying attention to those recipes.  This weekend I watched her episode with Katie Lee. VB made braised Garlicky chicken thighs, roasted carrots and a kale salad. I don't remember the dessert. I guess my point is I keep seeing people complain about her food but every time I've watched she seems to have plenty of healthy veggies with her meals and they all don't seem to be covered in cheese like the two I mentioned above.

@Yeah NoMenopause can be a bitch. Trust me I know this all too well. 

Edited by Cozytea
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

MILLIONS of women post menopause experience weight gain.  They're not all stupid, gluttonous, lazy, weak-willed or undisciplined.  Thank goodness my doctors (both of whom are women, BTW) are recognizing that now and not putting the blame on me. 

Unlike my thin, perky mother-in-law who doesn't have and never had the fat gene, who says chirpily "just go on a diet".  Snap!  Why didn't I think of that???

You go, Valerie!  Live your life, be happy.  There are millions of women like you, you're welcome to join our club.

• Love 5

I was a bit disappointed they kept the kitchen. And we know Valerie doesn't actually live there or shop for the show; they could have had a better premise, but for whatever reason they're usually a bit clunky with the guests on this show.

That being said the marinade/sauce for the chicken is definitely something I would make. And I know there are 1,000 recipes for lemon blueberry cake but this version looked good, it was one layer AND (always a plus) it has cream cheese frosting.