Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Lucky

Stef and Lena host an anniversary party for Lena's folks as tension mounts in their own marriage. Meanwhile, Callie must go to court to face the repercussions of her actions; and Mariana is determined to mend her relationship with Mat.

Only 5 minutes in and I can barely deal. But at least we're (if only slightly) adressing the issue of Callie making really poor decisions when she feels that things are going wrong. I will reserve the rest of my judgment for the end of the episode.

• Love 1

As soon as the adoption was finalized, my first thought was that they better not make Callie pregnant.

Exactly but that would be the curve ball this show would throw.

Jesus:  Surprised to see him back.  Didn't expect that till next season

Mariana:  When will she and Callie face off over Wyatt?

Stef/Lena: Kinda thought they'd use the cancer scare as a cliffhanger.

I hope that Stef really doesn't have cancer. The show could throw a curve ball or something. Teri would kill it in the acting.

Stef/Lena fights are so well-done.

I'm glad that Nate truly apologized. 

OMFG, I can't believe Callie's adoption actually went through! I really didn't think they would do it. But...pregnancy scare...

Edited by ShortyMac

I feel sick. Like, physically ill. I don't care which side of the adoption aisle you're on, this was not OK. If the truth had come out, there was a cliffhanger till next season, a few episodes were spent working through it all in counseling...maaaybe. I might could be convinced. But for a show that talks about different kinds of family, and how pieces of paper don't matter, the only message I got out of tonight was "Lie your ass off at any cost, because the piece of paper is the only thing that matters." I just can't with this show. And that's sad, because I've loved it since episode 1.

• Love 4

It was a pretty decent episode. I'm glad Callie got adopted, but the entire moment was ruined for me because of the Brallie junk. I can't be completely happy for her since I know how screwed up this situation is. Especially now that KaveDweller has put pregnancy scare on my list of worries. It's obvious this is going to come back to get her. No way she and Brandon can keep this underwraps for the rest of their lives. I just really wish Callie had gotten therapy for the whole Liam thing because I am 1000% sure she has some sort of complex that makes her go for her foster brothers. I can already see her and Brandon randomly hooking up every couple years unable to ever truly quit each other.

Otherwise, the episode was pretty good. Jonnor was cute as always. I'm sad Connor's leaving but I totally understand why he wants to go. I hope they can still have adorable long distance couple moments.

Jesus was a surprise. I thought he wasn't showing up until next season. Not sure about the new actor yet, but only time will really tell.

I love that Stef and Lena have finally (at least for now) resolved their issues. They are one of my biggest ships and I am always rooting for them. And I too was surprised the cliffhanger wasn't Stef has cancer. But, it feels like they're going to come back to this again so who knows.

• Love 4

Disappointing episode.  Sneaking into Brandon's room, telling him she loves, cuddling?? Really, Callie?! Callie gets to be a hero to foster kids, gets compliments from the judge and then lies to him and gets her 'happy ending.' Blechhhh.

The "I love you" between the boys made me roll my eyes - they're what, 13? I think distance=death of their relationship. And Lena was too nonchalant about finding out they were making out shirtless. 

Thinking Callie's going to have a pregnancy scare soon. I really do not like her or Brandon for now. They deserve whatever fallout they get from this. She needs to be moved into Robert's home and get therapy STAT.

Edited by Bringonthedrama
  • Love 1

I feel sick. Like, physically ill. I don't care which side of the adoption aisle you're on, this was not OK. If the truth had come out, there was a cliffhanger till next season, a few episodes were spent working through it all in counseling...maaaybe. I might could be convinced. But for a show that talks about different kinds of family, and how pieces of paper don't matter, the only message I got out of tonight was "Lie your ass off at any cost, because the piece of paper is the only thing that matters." I just can't with this show. And that's sad, because I've loved it since episode 1.

Completely agree. This was the epitome of what GildedLily said two episodes ago. The writers, in trying to please everyone, basically ruined their show. I guess the sex was their bone to the Brallie shippers before the relationship was effectively killed by the adoption. But that adoption is at this point based on a bunch of lies, the biggest being the sex. No judge would have allowed that to go through with the knowledge that the girl just banged her soon to be brother. I'm sorry, like others have noted, I share the unpopular opinion that the minute the writers brought in Robert, this whole notion that Callie HAD to be adopted, HAD to be a Foster was hogwash in my opinion.

And if that is where the writers were determined to go then they should have effectively killed the Brandon/Callie saga a long time ago and certainly not resurrect it to the point of making them have sex. The only thing I suspect is that this is too big a secret to stay a secret forever and what will happen is that it will come out and the adoption may be reversed or called into question or something. I'm not sure how the law works in this matter, so not sure if that's even possible. But I for one am done.

I was already barely watching and now I definitely won't. I never shipped Brandon and Callie so I don't care about their little teen romance ending but I cannot say I am thrilled with the outcome of Callie's adoption. The situation is a mess in my opinion. It's not the ideal family/home it was sold as in the first season anymore. It doesn't matter whether she and Brandon were a passing teen phase, the fact is their actions together made that situation unrealistic and unhealthy. I also don't buy that this adoption and being a Foster is the magical solution to Callie's many issues she clearly seems to have, namely her self destructive nature. So I'm at this point just whatever about this show. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

The "I love you" between the boys made me roll my eyes - they're what, 13? I think distance=death of their relationship. And Lena was too nonchalant about finding out they were making out shirtless. 

I liked the "I love you" precisely because they're thirteen, though I did like it in a kind of eye-rolling way. I pretty much went, "Little babies, with their little baby feelings." But it felt authentic enough to me, especially because when you're thirteen, that's as old as you've ever been. (I thought I was in love at thirteen... long story short, I was not.)

• Love 5

Callie already told her friend what happened with Brandon, so even if the writers don't play the pregnancy card, the secret's not a secret.  Brandon and Callie look like they don't have a brain between them -- how do they think they can live in the house/family as brother and sister?  Absurd.

On the more realistic side, I thought Mariana and Matt's scene was good, she didn't grovel and forgave herself, but he could not handle it.  Actions and consequences.

Mariana and AJ once again had a sweet hug, Jude had a huge smile at the adoption while hugging Callie, Lena's family showed what forgiveness looks like.  Those things almost wiped out the bad taste in my mouth about Callie's tainted adoption.  Almost. 

• Love 1

My very audible "ugggg" at the Braillie stuff was almost as loud as my "Thanks GOD" when Callie finally got adopted. Yes, its forever tainted by the Lannister shenanigans, but this could mean the real, whole end of that whole Brandon/Callie mess. I just wanted her to get adopted so they can move onto a new plot. I might feel different when I think about it more, but at this point, I just want forward motion.

I ended up liking AJ a lot more than I expected to, honestly. His hug with Callie at the adoption was sweet.

Damn it! WE FINALLY get some Jude/Connor cuteness, and now Connor is leaving. I guess next season, they`ll explain Jude`s absences with visits to Connor. Their scenes were still cute though. I thought the I Love You was darling. Such little cuties! Let us continue having them be cute next season, instead of inflicting horrible Brailie longing stares!

Glad that Lena and Stef have seemingly gotten to a good place again. I knew they were never going to break up for real, but I`m happier when they are happier.

Overall, kind of a mixed bag of a season/episode.  

• Love 1

Yeah, I took the I love you's as little baby I love yous.  It is first love at 13.   No love is ever so pure but it won't survive the long distance thing.  That's okay.   It was a good first love for Jude.  

Did Jesus tell Mariana he couldn't go back to school?  Oh Jesus... trouble.

Yeah, I think Callie is pregnant and or will have a pregnancy scare.   Everything is too pat now with her adoption.  I just don't know if I'll care enough about Jude to be back next season to see how it works out.  

Other than Jude I could care less.

I was surprised somebody asked about Mariana and Callie really addressing the Wyatt situation.   Neither of them are that into him.  So I don't really see why they need to have it out.  My best friend from high school dated my first boyfriend when they went to college.   Everybody expected me to be really upset about it, but I couldn't figure out why.  He was somebody I still liked in the Connor Jude 13 year old first love kind of way but not somebody I saw a future with.   So why shouldn't somebody else be with him?  Even somebody I knew?    

But with Callie/Mariana?  Neither of them want to have anything to do with him so....

Was it just me or was there no further movement on the TJ's brother hit and run thing?   

Completely agree. This was the epitome of what GildedLily said two episodes ago. The writers, in trying to please everyone, basically ruined their show. I guess the sex was their bone to the Brallie shippers before the relationship was effectively killed by the adoption. But that adoption is at this point based on a bunch of lies, the biggest being the sex. No judge would have allowed that to go through with the knowledge that the girl just banged her soon to be brother. I'm sorry, like others have noted, I share the unpopular opinion that the minute the writers brought in Robert, this whole notion that Callie HAD to be adopted, HAD to be a Foster was hogwash in my opinion.

And if that is where the writers were determined to go then they should have effectively killed the Brandon/Callie saga a long time ago and certainly no resurrect it to the point of making them have sex. The only thing I suspect is that this is too big a secret to stay a secret forever and what will happen is that it will come out and the adoption may be reversed or called into question or something. I'm not sure how the law works in this matter, so not sure if that's even possible. But I for one am done.

Why thank you for the shoutout truthaboutluv. Unsurprisingly, I despised this ep. Before I delve into the Brallie adoption lunacy, I will just say preliminarily this episode had WAY too much going on. Stef & Lena marriage troubles plus formerly racist brother returns plus cancer scare plus post Brallie sex plus Jonnor cliffhanger plus Mariana/Mat plus adoption day plus Callie taking on the foster system. Ridiculous for one 42 minute episode. It felt disjointed and crazy and nothing got the level of attention it deserved. Oh and they squeezed in new Jesus. Brilliant. I already dislike him because they shoehorned him in to this crap finale. But I don't think I can possibly like Jesus at this point.

And nothing on the hit and run we've been talking about all season? Not that I minded but why did we even have to introduce AJ if it is storyline was going to putter out around ep 7. I guess they'll pick up on it in 3b with the other 84,000 story threads. I'll probably care even less than I do now.

Two weeks ago, I said I wanted a resolution to Brallie vs adoption or Brandon vs a family thing they keep going back to it. And whatever that resolution was, fine. If I didn't get my couple because an adoption cut foreclosed that possibility, I was good with saying goodbye to the show. I like Mariana but not enough to watch a show for her. The problem is the writers made a super sharp turn with Brallie sex and then immediately made another a sharp turn with the adoption. That's not picking a lane and sticking to it. That's driving all over the road, writers. So now, here we are at the end of 3B, and Brallie has gotten together finally after three seasons and Callie is adopted finally after three seasons. So really nothing is resolved, it's just at a higher level of messiness. Obviously, they're going back to this huge secret next season because Brallie solemnly vowed to never tell everyone which of course only means everyone will end up finding out in extreme dramatic fashion. So now they've royally aggravated the shippers with this finale after the mother of all shipper baiting in the penultimate ep, and in 3B, they'll be aggravating the people who just want Brallie to die and her to be an Adams-Foster when every episode in 3B comes back to this sex secret. Which, sorry everyone, it will. (Plus no mention of a condom on a super sex consequences heavy show? I'm scared). I'm kind of intrigued to watch the mess play out but it's also just getting annoying. The writers got scared of their own shadow with Brallie and this episode confirmed they literally have no idea what their long game is. And it's hard to invest in a show when you can feel that.

I know a lot of Stef and Lena fans are seeing the adoption as some big win for them/happy ending. But I don't get that. Their daughter had sex with their son. At the very least, Brandon is in love with Callie and on some level, I think she loves him or is at least deeply attached to him in the most non-sibling way. So I see no winners in this family from that situation and a lot of hurt and confusion on the horizon. And even if you loathe Brallie, I'm confused as to how anyone can see this adoption as a healthy, long term functional thing for this entire family given where the writers veered with Brandon and Callie last ep.

Also, at this point, the more mature, less shipper-y part of me wants Brandon to move to Julliard and far away from Callie for his own sanity. She really gave zero thought to him in this ep and it seemed almost cruel. And I get there's a ton more at stake for her (although not really since she's now a Quinn heiress). But watching her yo-yo with him here, I want to stay with you forever.... I would have never . . .I love you . . . we can never tell . .. no Your Honor, there's nothing romantic going on. She didn't need to be adopted or need to have sex with him at this point, she needs therapy and to take Robert up on paying for college. Maybe an all-women's college. Still, I can't ever totally give up on the chemistry between David and Maia and like a sucker, I'll be here for at least the first few eps in January for that. See you guys then.

Edited by GildedLily
  • Love 2

I rolled my eyes more at Callie's "I love you" to Brandon than Jonnor's to each other. Jude continues to be one of the most well adjusted 13 year olds on TV and in real life. 

I just loved when Mariana told Matt that she forgave herself. Like a literally clapped. Although she's still, obviously, hurt that was a major step. Self love and forgiveness. Love.

Screw Monte. Now all of a sudden she doesn't wanna ruin Lena's marriage? What happened to her just last week telling Lena not to rule out divorce or some shit along those lines? No, she saw that Lena wasn't going to leave her wife for her ... that's what it was.

AJ's brother and the whole H&R will play into part b of this season and will be more dramatic and compelling now that Mike's offically his foster father and w Jesus back on the canvas. 

I had a feeling new-Jesus would be back in this summer finale. The actor was announced months ago and I figured he'd have time to, at least start filming the this part A finale. 

Speaking of Jesus. In the 3 minutes he was onscreen, he had more ease and chemistry w Callie/Maia than Jake had his entire time on the series. Like Callie and Jesus never had a one-on-one scene together. So for this reason alone, I'm looking forward to the new-Jesus. PS: Yes, he said he couldn't go back and I'm sure the why will be this actors intro s/l on the character. 

ETA: Loathe this Callie/Brandon storyline/coupling. It's the only hiccup I have w what is a wonderful show. Oh and yes...I too think Callie will become pregnant. Lena talking to Jude about condoms and my mind went to: should probably have had that convo w Callie. 

Edited by Samantha84

The Brallie sex made me so crazy that I really debated whether to watch this episode - and any future ones. I hate when a show that I love makes a wrong turn. The Brallie sex was a wrong turn IMO. It is a ticking time bomb which threatens to blow up the show. In TV land, secrets rarely stay secret. I so hope that there isn't a pregnancy scare - that would be too much of a cliche. Have to admit that I teared up during the adoption scene.

Having said that, the episode was better than I would have thought. Loved the Lena/Stef saga - Stef's anger at the beginning and especially the good news about Stef's cancer scare being the catalyst for bringing them right back together. That felt realistic to me. Loved Lena's "talk" with Jude. They have always had the special bond.Also liked Callie/Rita. Really liked seeing the happy Adams-Foster family dancing around the kitchen -- because you know that won't last.

I guess that the only cliffhanger (besides the Callie having sex with her now brother) is that Jesus apparently got thrown out of school?

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 3

I was already barely watching and now I definitely won't. I never shipped Brandon and Callie so I don't care about their little teen romance ending but I cannot say I am thrilled with the outcome of Callie's adoption. The situation is a mess in my opinion. It's not the ideal family/home it was sold as in the first season anymore. It doesn't matter whether she and Brandon were a passing teen phase, the fact is their actions together made that situation unrealistic and unhealthy. I also don't buy that this adoption and being a Foster is the magical solution to Callie's many issues she clearly seems to have, namely her self destructive nature. So I'm at this point just whatever about this show. 

I am exactly the same. I had already skipped a couple episodes this season. And just when I was like 'Okay, I really need to get back into this' Idyllwild happened. And I needed to see this finale just to see the fallout only to have to deal with this garbage. I have never thought Brandon or Callie were good for each other. And I definitely don't see any chemistry between the two. Especially when the last few times they've gotten together/hooked up it has been made exceedingly clear that Callie is only interested in Brandon because she knows for a fact he will be there for her whenever she wants him and when things are falling to pieces. Callie needs therapy and idek what to say about Brandon. Technically, he should be held even more responsible because he is the fully functioning one. Callie is the one with the issues that have never been addressed. It should not be that hard to ignore an attraction to someone. 

• Love 1

Okay, this episode kind of pissed me off. I would have been fine with Callie getting adopted two seasons ago...a season ago...two episodes ago...but the ending grossed me out. There was no jaw-dropping twist. What should I tune in for next January. New Jesus?

Now that I've seen the morning after convo, Callie having sex for the first time was handled really poorly. Glad to know she's just over her panic attacks. I definitely think she will be pregnant/have a miscarriage/have an std (Brandon gets around) in the second half of the season because drama I guess. At least if there's a shotgun Brallie wedding, Stef/Lena can sign one permission slip (shudder).

The pacing of the episode was poor...too much stuff. The showrunners said all fans would be happy with this finale. But, I'm not happy as person who likes Brandon/Callie and their friendship or as an Adams-Foster family fan. Good thing fall tv is right around the corner and I can stop thinking about the wasted potential in this show. Season one was so good (sniff).

• Love 2

That's not picking a lane and sticking to it. That's driving all over the road, writers. The writers got scared of their own shadow with Brallie and this episode confirmed they literally have no idea what their long game is. And it's hard to invest in a show when you can feel that.

I know a lot of Stef and Lena fans are seeing the adoption as some big win for them/happy ending. But I don't get that. Their daughter had sex with their son. At the very least, Brandon is in love with Callie and on some level, I think she loves him or is at least deeply attached to him in the most non-sibling way. So I see no winners in this family from that situation and a lot of hurt and confusion on the horizon. And even if you loathe Brallie, I'm confused as to how anyone can see this adoption as a healthy, long term functional thing for this entire family given where the writers veered with Brandon and Callie last ep.

I wish I could like this 10 or 20x. Well said!

Callie needs therapy and idek what to say about Brandon. Technically, he should be held even more responsible because he is the fully functioning one. Callie is the one with the issues that have never been addressed. It should not be that hard to ignore an attraction to someone.

As I noted in last week's episode thread, I don't understand why it falls on Brandon to be wise and mature and make all the right decisions and Callie gets a pass. I'm sorry, I know I'm riding solo on this considering how hated Brandon is but I find Callie to be the major issue here, not him or I should say they both are to blame. As I said last week, it's all about Callie's issues and all what Callie has been through like Brandon's issues don't matter.

The kid was raised in a broken home when his mother left his dad to be with a woman, his dad is an alcoholic, everyone for years just expected him to be fine and okay with fostering a bunch of kids, he was sexually assaulted himself and physically attacked and all that was practically just swept under the rug. And added to that, he's still a kid as much as Callie. But somehow it falls on him to be the responsible one and all their dumb decisions made together is his fault. 

As I also noted last week, Callie's moronic decision to kiss AJ after everything with Brandon proves that the notion of her and Brandon being put all on him doesn't fly. Callie is a fucking mess, I'm sorry and yes she needs therapy. But in my opinion, part of her being a mess includes selfishness on her part, which includes jerking Brandon around repeatedly in my opinion. He is teenage boy who clearly has strong feelings for this girl whether one thinks it's real or not or will last or not. And to expect him to be wise all the time and say "no..." when she is reaching out to him is unrealistic. Callie and Brandon are both responsible for their mess and I'm tired of her getting a pass because "she's been through so much" and "he should know better."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I agree the show is trying to have it both ways, and the only way to keep watching it is to just plain ignore how stupid and annoying that is. Even in this episode, Callie kept going back and forth about what she wanted. I never would have done it if I'd thought the adoption was still possible. Maybe I should call Robert. It's clear she doesn't know and the show doesn't know what the hell they are doing here. It's cowardly bullshit, bad storytelling, and I hate it.

If she's pregnant, please get her an abortion. Please, show. Please.

I agree the secret is bullshit, and the show will not let it rest. They've basically declared they are not going to pick a side, so it's only a matter of time til the next round of BS hits the fan.

Ignoring that, I liked other aspects of the show.

Stef yelling at Lena showed me once again that I underestimate Teri Polo's acting abilities. I still love their marriage.

Jude and Connor were convincing to me, because I remember what that felt like. I realize that, having gone on record despising and not taking seriously the Callie-Brandon romance, that this may sound hypocritical. But I'm not saying that Jude-Connor are necessarily going to last, only that I buy the emotion in the moment.

Jesus getting kicked out of school without his parents being notified seems rather unlikely, but then again, with all the other stuff getting handwaved here, I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. The actor does seem more natural than his predecessor, even in his one scene. We'll see.

I didn't mind the PSA about the foster system. I mean, whatever. Someone has to say it, and I recently had a conversation with someone who was telling me everything was cool because she knew a couple of good foster families with kids they eventually adopted, so I kind of feel like: let it be said, however many times it takes til it sinks in. The system is under-resourced, not functioning as it should, and it doesn't matter if the people in it have good intentions, it still psucks.

I think we are supposed to say: oh well, "she made her bed now she can lie in it" about Carmen. The army was her only option, she blew it, toss her in juvie and shrug it off. I get why Rita was fed up, but I also think there's a double standard on this show, where we have the kids we feel sympathy for and who get a pass on all their fuck ups, and there are the kids we're supposed to write off and say: they made bad choices, so fuck 'em. I agree this is how the world works, that some kids get buffering and other kids get thrown away. I just don't know that I like that the show is sort of underwriting that attitude.

Lena giving Jude the talk? It was OK, but I didn't buy that she doesn't know the logistics of two males together. And also, the show kind of copped out by cutting away before much got said, but I can live with it.

Mariana's version of that "love will keep us together" song was way more sultry than what I remember of the original, which was kind of upbeat and cute and the sort of thing no one took all that seriously at the time. I liked her forgiving herself, though.

Aaaaand... I was OK with how they resolved the Nate stuff. I think there was a lot of "love leads to forgiveness and sacrifice" going on in this episode. Pretty much everyone other than Mariana did that, in one way or another, and maybe Mariana also did it, if you count her love and forgiveness of herself. (I'm not counting Jesus because he only appeared for 2 seconds at the end).

I think it's fine to let the hit and run and AJ situation sit til 3B. They have more than enough going on already.

Monty is still on my shit list, though. Besides everything else, she's Lena's boss. Ugh.

Don't want to see a breast cancer story, so I hope that business is truly finished.

I think we are supposed to say: oh well, "she made her bed now she can lie in it" about Carmen. The army was her only option, she blew it, toss her in juvie and shrug it off. I get why Rita was fed up, but I also think there's a double standard on this show, where we have the kids we feel sympathy for and who get a pass on all their fuck ups, and there are the kids we're supposed to write off and say: they made bad choices, so fuck 'em. I agree this is how the world works, that some kids get buffering and other kids get thrown away. I just don't know that I like that the show is sort of underwriting that attitude.

I agree, and I did feel bad for Carmen.  She made a mistake and now has lost her shot at the army, which was going to be a job and I think was a shot at college? But now she's screwed, while Callie makes mistake after mistake and still gets adopted.  Not that I think Callie should be thrown in juvie for sleeping with Brandon, but it's definitely a double standard.

I was surprised somebody asked about Mariana and Callie really addressing the Wyatt situation.   Neither of them are that into him.  So I don't really see why they need to have it out.  My best friend from high school dated my first boyfriend when they went to college.   Everybody expected me to be really upset about it, but I couldn't figure out why.  He was somebody I still liked in the Connor Jude 13 year old first love kind of way but not somebody I saw a future with.   So why shouldn't somebody else be with him?  Even somebody I knew?    

But with Callie/Mariana?  Neither of them want to have anything to do with him so....

I was the one that brought up Mariana/Callie/Wyatt.  Just was curious if that would ever be brought up again.  I didn't really get the feeling that neither Callie or Mariana were really into Wyatt anymore.  Only time will tell.  And as much as I like this show and am probably one of the older people watching and participating on this board there are certain things that will turn me off in a heartbeat and time will tell if they happen.  Have a good Fall y'all!

Edited by lscobee

As I noted in last week's episode thread, I don't understand why it falls on Brandon to be wise and mature and make all the right decisions and Callie gets a pass. I'm sorry, I know I'm riding solo on this considering how hated Brandon is but I find Callie to be the major issue here, not him or I should say they both are to blame. As I said last week, it's all about Callie's issues and all what Callie has been through like Brandon's issues don't matter.

... being a mess includes selfishness on her part, which includes jerking Brandon around repeatedly in my opinion. He is teenage boy who clearly has strong feelings for this girl whether one thinks it's real or not or will last or not.

You're not riding solo - I think Brandon's been jerked around by Callie and the moms have been unsympathetic and uncompassionate, except for the one bone that got thrown to Brandon by Stef last week, to what has been going on in his life.  Callie has the ability to play him like a piano, pun intended, and he's too head over heels for her to sort it all out.  He's not blameless but he's not the culprit either. 

Have to admit, I didn't see that non resolution to Brallie coming.  I thought we were going down one road or the other.  It appears that this is back to the same old anguish and BS with the added complication of now Callie and Brandon are legally siblings.  I wish the writers would pick a direction and go with it.  "We can never tell anyone" - really?

Oh well, the DVR will pick it up again when the back half starts and I can watch it at my leisure.

Edited by allinnow

OK, now that I've taken some time to process this episode and watch So You Think You Can Dance, I feel like I can talk about it a little more coherently. Unsurprisingly, I agree completely with both GildedLily and truthaboutluv. It really doesn't matter if Brallie is "one true love" or a stupid, destructive teenage choice. They can't be siblings in any authentic and meaningful way. That was true before last week, and it's even more true now. And I agree that once Robert came into the picture, the adoption storyline became highly irrelevant--not to mention extremely unrealistic. And putting Brallie sex and the adoption back to back feels horribly like pandering, rather than sticking to a defined story arc with an intentional endgame.

But the more I think about it, the more I wonder if THIS is the cliffhanger. Surely the writers and showrunners have to know how unrealistic and ridiculous this whole thing is. But controversy sells, and I would bet that more people will tune in to see how they get out of this mess than the number that will quit the show over it. So they're giving us the rest of the year to argue and debate and agonize over it before 3b. Maybe that *was* part of the intentional story arc/endgame all along. I did a little research, and it looks like adoption based on fraud can be annulled within the first three years. I wonder if Robert will end up setting that in motion, if he finds out about Callie/Brandon.

I have also come to realize that I really, really don't like Callie much right now. I don't agree with the idea that Brandon "should know better" or that Callie gets a pass. She really jerked him around, through 3 seasons but especially tonight. "I love you." "Don't tell anybody." "We have each other." "That's all over now." Frankly, I found Brandon's, "This is your family" every bit as poignant as Jude's "I want you to have that because I love you." I think he's really in love. A bit naive and overly romantic perhaps, but he always seems to put Callie first. I think Callie thinks she's in love, but she's way too messed up to know what that means, and she's selfish as hell. It's all wrapped up in a good heart and trying to do the right thing, but ultimately she's not thinking about Brandon at all. Yet I think it was kind of telling when she told him that she had to go through with the adoption because she couldn't betray Stef and Lena. She's putting them first in a way...her psychology is so complicated, it's hard to analyze.

Completely agree with the idea that she needs to live with Robert and get into serious therapy. I don't buy for a second that this adoption is genuinely a happy ending for any of them. I just really, really hope that that the writers and showrunners either have an endgame in mind or think one up during the hiatus. I want all of this to make sense in the end. I guess I'll tune in for the first few episodes of 3b and see what happens, but I don't have high hopes at this point.

ETA: Lena and Monte are adults. The feelings are entirely one sided. There was a single unreturned kiss. And it nearly destroyed the family. Would anyone think it was a good idea for Monte to move in? Or believe that she and Lena could be sisters? I don't get why two teenagers who are mutually attracted to each other should be held to a higher standard. Of course, I also don't get why there was fallout on the show from that, and absolutely none from Brallie.

Edited by blackrose602
  • Love 2
I have also come to realize that I really, really don't like Callie much right now.

Unpopular opinion, but I haven't really cared much about Callie for awhile. It's one of the biggest reasons I stopped watching the show as regularly. I realized I no longer had any investment in her being adopted and I won't lie, the Robert story just killed that shit for me. I was really annoyed that this man who didn't even know he had a child to begin with, so he lost out on years of her life through no fault of his own was basically being guilt tripped and treated like a bad guy because she just HAS to be a Foster.  Whatever...

When the show started, I felt Callie's pain, I felt that sense of urgency and need for her to have the stability and love of the Foster family. The writers ruined that with the introduction of Robert's character. I was supposed to buy that Callie was so incapable of accepting this man as her family because she was so bonded to the Fosters even though for all the drama that happened on this damn show, it hadn't even been six months since she'd met them?

There are many children and teens in very bad situations that the foster system exists for and sometimes works out very well for and it's important to tell those stories and show that. However, the writers' need for drama and to extend this never ending adoption, coupled with the romance with the foster brother, destroyed that element. Robert's existence removed Callie from that category of needing to be adopted in my opinion. So I can't get on board this whole thing anymore and coupled with this shit with Brandon, this is just like a mockery of the foster system and adoption process in my opinion.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

And as much as I like this show and am probably one of the older people watching and participating on this board there are certain things that will turn me off in a heartbeat and time will tell if they happen.  Have a good Fall y'all!

I don't know how old you are but I know that myself and at least a few others here are all firmly established members of the tribe of adult.   I think the episode before last turned me off of this show and I really don't know if I'll be back this next season (half season?) but if I come back it will be for Jude.   

I've decided that until it turns out that Callie's pregnant, I'm just going to ignore that she and Brandon had sex and enjoy her adoption.

I probably will come back because lesbian moms and Mariana and Jude and Callie when she's being cool, but if I wasn't going to I would just tell myself that's how the show ends.

• Love 1

I've decided that until it turns out that Callie's pregnant, I'm just going to ignore that she and Brandon had sex and enjoy her adoption.

I probably will come back because lesbian moms and Mariana and Jude and Callie when she's being cool, but if I wasn't going to I would just tell myself that's how the show ends.

+1. After tonight, I've learned that I cannot quit this show; I always get pulled back in. I will more than likely stick with it until the end. I love Stef and Lena as characters; their fight was so good. I've watched it like three more times. Teri and Sherri are fantastic.

• Love 1

I'm 50. I think there are lots of adults watching this show. It's a sensation in the lesbian media. I think a lot of us are just boggled by seeing the Lena-Stef relationship on TV, and we can jump over any teen stuff because none of us got to see this kind of thing when we were growing up, and it's like the moon landing or something-- a totally word-changing event, and a constant reminder of how the world is different than we ever imagined it would be, and so amazing and we can't get over it. It's a huge, huge thing for my generation, and hard to believe, even in its 3rd season. I tell my non-TV watching peers and they literally do not believe me that the show is what I say it is, it's like they simply can not imagine my reports are actually true, I must be joking, etc.

• Love 8

ETA: Lena and Monte are adults. The feelings are entirely one sided. There was a single unreturned kiss. And it nearly destroyed the family. Would anyone think it was a good idea for Monte to move in? Or believe that she and Lena could be sisters? I don't get why two teenagers who are mutually attracted to each other should be held to a higher standard. Of course, I also don't get why there was fallout on the show from that, and absolutely none from Brallie.

I think Stef takes Monte's feelings for Lena seriously because she's an adult, but not Brandon and Callie's attraction because they're 'just teenagers.' Also, Stef seems to have a tendency to want to skip over/avoid giving credibility to anything that interferes with her single-mindedness of what she wants for her family. Her reaction to Robert not signing the papers immediately and being unsure about allowing the adoption to happen was to get tense and upset and blackmail him about his mistress. She might as well have said, "I'm adding to my family here. How DARE you interfere with that. I don't care if you are having fatherly feelings about the daughter you never knew you had. Get over it." She also has a 'get over it, period' attitude toward Brandon and Callie, just without the hostility. 

Seems like Stef was also angry because she has realized taking action and keeping secrets from Lena in the name of being a warrior for the family had the side effect of leaving Lena somewhat open to the attention of a predatory, inappropriate woman like Monte. This woman says she broke up with her gf because she's fallen for Lena, so Stef is jealous but she also must feel a sting at the realization that - 'my actions contributed to Lena not discouraging Monte's attention.' Both wives have some responsibility in this, and that reality must be a slap in the face to someone like Stef (who never thinks she's done wrong ...or if what she's said or done was questionable she believes it's justifiable because it's for the 'greater good.')   

Edited by Bringonthedrama

Everyone is in denial about the Brandon-Callie situation. I'm quite sure that if the parents or other adults knew what was going on, they would not think the two should be living together. They moved AJ and Callie apart very quickly after their kiss, and when they thought Callie and Brandon were flirty, they separated them, also-- to the point of getting a restraining order.

I think that they really believe that the romance is over. Both kids say it is. And it's what everyone wants to believe, so they believe it. It's easy to imagine the two were acting out, being rebellious and unstable, and that it died down like many impulsive teen emotions do, especially wince they want to believe that and the kids are telling them that's the case.

Stef was upset because Lena didn't tell her what happened with Monte, even while complaining that Stef kept secrets from Lena. Before Stef knew about the kiss, she did invite Monte over, for dinner and drinks, and Lena didn't think it was a good idea, she asked Stef not to do it, but because Stef trusted her and Lena was keeping the kiss a secret, Stef didn't take Lena's discomfort seriously (Stef can be a bulldozer and inconsiderate that way; I'm not defending it). And as soon as Stef found out what was going on, she changed her attitude. I'd be highly surprised if Monte gets any invitations to dinner any time soon, and for sure no one is inviting her to move in. Lena declined to go away with her on a business trip a couple of episodes ago, so for sure no one thinks they should be having any sleepovers either.

I think the show is demonstrating how people in denial about something can seem obliviously happy (and make stupid choices)... til it all hits the fan. That has happened a few times now, with different situations. If they are trying to say it's A-OK and the secret is no biggie, I would be surprised. But then, who knows? They have really disappointed me by going this route in the first place. It's not much consolation that I think it's going to blow up in everyone's faces. It just means this part of the show is forever going to annoy me.

The show hasn't lost me yet but I'm definitely less invested in Callie's story and very disappointed in general. After all these seasons waiting for her to be adopted, it finally happens and it's tainted. I get that it's all about the drama but I think this may have been a step too far. They introduced Robert and treated him like he was the lesser choice (when, in fact, he and his family are pretty nice, minus the grandpa), and had him terminate his parental rights, twice, because the Adams-Fosters were the ones we were supposed to root for. But I watched that courtroom celebration with frustration, not joy. It just didn't feel like the win they were selling it as.

Robert will find out about all of this (because it will get out; Callie already blabbed to Daphne, and if she's not revealed to be pregnant in the next block, I'll be shocked) and have the adoption nullified. I don't even care because Callie's got a safe place to land no matter what happens... so I guess what I'm looking forward to is Robert getting a win after Stef blackmailed him, and then hopefully putting Callie in therapy like she needs. Girl has a pattern (running to Brandon every time her adoption was in jeopardy, repeatedly getting involved with her foster brothers) that needs to be addressed. I know she used to go to group therapy but I don't recall hearing anything recently.

AJ and Marianna hugging were cute, as were Jude and Connor. Sad that Jonnor is effectively over with but I'm sure Connor will visit and probably move back one day. Interested in seeing what they do with Jude now. Also, nice to get confirmation that Connor's mom exists and that we haven't seen her because she's in another city. Also, Stef and Lena continue to be among my favorite couples on TV... Sherri and Teri kill it every time. I wish we'd seen their conversation in the garage, considering how happy they were afterward. Hope they continue to go to therapy because Monty aside, they've had other issues.

Glad the Nate thing was sorted out, though I wish it had happened in a less busy episode. Maybe I missed a scene but I didn't like how Nate's girlfriend had nothing to say about the ordeal. Obviously, they sorted it out but I wish we'd heard why she was fine with staying with him (again, I may have missed it, I was skipping around a little).

I was so surprised by the appearance of new!Jesus... I wasn't expecting to see him yet. I felt a little weird watching them hug some new guy but hopefully it won't take too long to adjust.

The courtroom scene, while nice in theory, was written so heavy-handedly. We have been building up to this moment for three seasons. I was expecting it to be the emotional moment of the series, but it felt so rushed and corny, which sort of cheapened all of the events that had transpired beforehand.

I think that’s the main issue I’m having with this show lately—it has abandoned all subtlety. We’re just jumping from one extreme to another constantly, and it’s unrewarding because none of it seems real, or rather, logically motivated. I’m blaming this, in part, on the ridiculous amount of tangential storylines, like Brandon’s band, Ana’s extended family, the blonde girl with an attitude from Idyllwild, Rita and her daughter, etc. I wish they would switch back to the more intense/narrow focus of season one. The other side-plots occasionally deliver some nice emotional/educational moments, but cause the show to suffer overall because they’re so often abandoned or rushed to conclusion. This is giving me major Switched at Birth horror flashbacks, which also became sloppy in its later seasons. Both shows sort of abandoned their original focus and devolved into teen dating drama + convenient dramatic plotlines (hello Stef’s breast cancer storyline, no parental supervision at the cabin, and the majority of the Girls’ United drama). The Fosters seems worse off for this decision because the stakes are much higher—i.e. Callie loses out on the adoption.

Admittedly, I’ve never been into Brallie, but I just don’t understand the show’s portrayal of their relationship. Most of the kids’ failed relationships have been turned into life lessons/educative experiences, but the one that is the most destructive has been lauded by the show itself and ignored by most of the characters. I just don’t get the tonal choices the show chooses when depicting Brallie—the lighting, the music, the long pauses. It seems like they want to romanticize it, but in doing so, they end up undermining every other aspect of the show. They want us to spend however many episodes dealing with the ramifications of their relationship, but also want us to ignore all that work and still support it; this back and forth is ruining any sense of progress. Maybe it’s the acting, but I have no idea what they’re trying to convey here.

[unrelated: Can the show’s stylist retire the crop tops for Callie—has she worn a regular shirt this whole season??]

Speaking of patterns, last season ended with Stef blackmailing Robert, plotting a secret emancipation where Callie lied to Robert, and ... then the Season ends with them being rewarded by Robert signing away his parental rights. Close on happy Fosters Adams being happy.

This half-season: Callie calls out the judge by name, even though any logical view on her situation would tell her that it's not the judge's fault that they found her birth father or that Stef took out a bloody restraining order against Brandon. She and Brandon lie their asses off about their relationship, Rita lies for them, Carmen lies for them even as she's being put in Juvie, and ... The Judge tells Callie how he's proud of her, they're rewarded with the adoption going through, close on happy Fosters Adams being happy.

The system might be broken, but, I'm sorry, holding up an adoption because your birth father who never knew you existed was found is not a symptom of the system being broken.

An adoption being held up because your foster mother took out a restraining order against her own son (and then used her connections as a cop to try to cover it up) to keep him away from you is not a symptom of the system being broken.

This show is starting to remind me of Parenthood and the Braverman family, in the worst possible ways.

• Love 5

Mariana:  When will she and Callie face off over Wyatt?

I hope never. Callie and Wyatt were not a thing, and Wyatt was polite and respectful to Mariana. Unfortunate yes, a need for a fight? No. There was the uneasiness the day after and that was enough. Callie/Mariana are the best.

I hate the idea posted above that because Stef works hard etc. that Lena was left open for a predatory attack by another woman. Crap. If Monte wants to go for Lena fine. If she wants to flirt fine. Kiss her? That is on Monte. But it isn't Stef's fault at all and for the most part is not Lena's either (in so far as how much it was encouraged/not).

I also hate this show goes so far but not follows through - what did Stef/Lena say to eachother during the party? Was it cut for time? Or just the writer's couldn't get there. The actors would have nailed it. Because fyi show - feel free to cut Callie/Brandon crap in favour of the mums.

Also - re: last weeks discussion about daughter vs. son sex. In this episode Jude gets a talk and demo from Lena about sex. Why have the girls not had it? Or been shown to? Big fail on the show's part. And not like they didn't have the opportunity - when the mum's were having their 'chat' with Mariana about sex with Matt/Wyatt - a perfect opportunity. Some non-judgmental portrayal of female sexuality would not go astray.

One last thing - Jesus. I loved Stef's line - 'What are they feeding you at that school? You are so tall!' Awesome token nod at a new actor. Loved it and laughed so hard.

• Love 1

After all these seasons waiting for her to be adopted, it finally happens and it's tainted.

This is exactly how I feel.

Have hated Brallie since the pilot; my only wish was for Callie to be adopted by the Fosters, particularly after they adopted Jude. It finally happens - I'll admit that I teared up at the #FinallyaFoster moment - and it feels cheapened by the Big Lie.

I still see no chemistry at all between the two actors/characters.

ETA: At least the adoption went through. If they had scuttled Callie's adoption due to the Brallie sex, I would have been gone.

Edited by LisaM
  • Love 2
ETA: At least the adoption went through. If they had scuttled Callie's adoption due to the Brallie sex, I would have been gone.

It's really only a matter of time though. There is no way Callie and Brandon's having sex will stay a secret, which means when it inevitably comes out the adoption will be called into question because it happened based on fradulent terms. Rule number one of the law, you don't lie in a courtroom and that's what Callie did by telling the judge there was nothing going on between her and Brandon.

So honestly the stakes are higher and much worse now because the big adoption moment three years in the making will likely be thrown out and reversed in another couple of episodes. Or maybe I'm underestimating them and this really will be the end of Callie's adoption saga but I really, really doubt it. Because if that were really the case they never would have taken that huge step to have her and Brandon actually have sex. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Because if that were really the case they never would have taken that huge step to have her and Brandon actually have sex.

I'm not sure that they are going to go the path of reversing the adoption. I think we may see the secret longing -- and probably a pregnancy scare -- but I'm not sure they want to go down the fraudulent adoption route - especially since Callie is 17.

Of course, I can hope that they had the Brallie sex to pacify the shippers and are finally going to move on from it forever. :)

It cracks me up that Callie and Brandon were trying to justify the sex with their version of "we were on a break".

Agree with truthaboutluv. If they wanted to end Callie's adoption saga and Brallie once and for all, she would have gotten adopted at the end of S1 with Jude after the whole "Am I hurting you?" exchange between Brandon and Callie. That felt final. Or even possibly once Robert withdrew his custody bid last season. But this? Sex literally immediately followed by the adoption is just the biggest of cliffhangers. However people feel about them as a couple, no one who has ever watched a family drama/teen soap can believe this is going to stay secret or that the adoption is a long term happy ending.

Brallie fans got the unambiguous steamy love scene and I Love Yous exchanged ; people who wanted Callie adopted got the warm and fuzzy final family finale scene. The show runners are banking that the entire audience returns for 3B to see what they do next with this mess. The problem is now that both the adoption and sex cards are played, there's no more carrots to throw at the different segments of their fan base. Though I expect it will take the entirety of next season, they eventually have to decide if they somehow unwind this adoption or continue the show with the squicky elephant of legal siblings who have had sex and can never be believable platonic relatives hanging over it.

• Love 1

I hate the idea posted above that because Stef works hard etc. that Lena was left open for a predatory attack by another woman. Crap. If Monte wants to go for Lena fine. If she wants to flirt fine. Kiss her? That is on Monte. But it isn't Stef's fault at all and for the most part is not Lena's either (in so far as how much it was encouraged/not).

I don't think it is Stef working so hard that is the problem, it is that Stef is so busy going rogue to protect the family that she can't be open and communicative with her wife which allows for Lena to be flattered by attention from Monte.   

• Love 1

I think both Brandon and Callie are morons and equally at fault - Callie for always treating a setback as THE END, even if Lena and Stef have proven over and over again to be stubborn in their adoption quest, and turning to Brandon immediately and Brandon for not noticing that this is a pattern with her, one that always leads to him having to squash his feelings again and put on the happy family face. I'm not a Brandon/Callie fan and while he annoyed the hell out of me in previous seasons, I can't even muster up strong feelings against Brandon anymore because, man, that character goes through some emotional whiplash (plus, there is a huge douchebag in the show that comes right after this one and I think I've concentrated my hatred there).

I'm happy that the adoption went through, despite the huge fuck-up that occurred right before. I think for me, it's less about Stef/Lena being parents to Callie (because I think Robert would have made a good parent if they went down that route) and more about Callie finally being able to be in a good family with Jude. Most of her time in foster care was dedicated to them staying together and Callie protecting him and they finally got a shot at being happy under the same roof.

The adoption was way, way too easy. Callie is going to end up pregnant. Birth control is usually talked about on this show after sex occurs, but not so with Brallie. And since the show had already had a couple 'scares,' I'm betting this will not be a false alarm.

That said, I've always loved the connection between Brallie. I've shipped them since he passed her the lasagna on the pilot. And I really feel for Brandon now. I think he is the one who is/will suffer the most from this adoption sham. I believe he really does love Callie. But she completely dismissed what they shared in front of the judge. He gets all the points for being unselfish, when he could've been. He's just too nice.

Edited by Slugabug Foster