Type keyword(s) to search

DragonBall Z - General Discussion

• Start Topic

As always, the random bits of English in various places are the highlights of the first episode in a tournament arc. Aside from "Satan" all over the place (always good for a laugh), there was a can of Cake Cola and a guy wearing a "HOMO" shirt.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:44 PM, Lantern7 said:

Heads up: Toonami is bringing back DBZK to start the new expanded block on Saturday night at 9 p.m. From the very beginning. Because reasons?

So we can watch characters we love before they become caricatures in Super?

In light of Toonami bringing back Dragon Ball Z Kai, I need to bring up Team Four Star again. They've been abridging DBZ for years, and they wrapped up the Cell saga. There's also a lot of side stuff, like movie abridgements, songs (including this parody of "Dragon Soul"), and the occasional merchandise pitch. But the main stuff is great. They do right by the characters, yet still manage to me hilarious.

What other sources of DBZ humor do you know about? For me, there's SSJ9K on Youtube,also known as "The Legendary Negro Saiyan" on Facebook. A lot of it focuses on song parodies, and scenarios where Goku and Vegeta are black . . . like meeting with a surprisingly racist Buu. There are also choice DBZ AMVs here and here.

I know it was way to make a heavy situation light but even as a kid, I didn’t like how Chichi wasn’t told the truth when it happened. Krillin being scared to tell Chichi was funny but at the same time, I was, “Why aren’t they telling her what happened to her husband and son?”

At the time, I didn’t know DB existed and I assumed they all knew each other for years and when we later saw how Chichi’s personality can be, I understood Krillin’s hesitance to talk but when I saw DB, it made Krillin, Bulma and Roshi look even worse. They didn’t know her and they all decided to keep this secret from her. All of them should’ve told ChiChi since they were there. Chichi had to confront them after waiting all night for her husband and four year old son to return home. I can’t blame Chichi for feeling some type of way towards Goku’s friends for years. That was definitely a friend fail moment.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

I know it was way to make a heavy situation light but even as a kid, I didn’t like how Chichi wasn’t told the truth when it happened. Krillin being scared to tell Chichi was funny but at the same time, I was, “Why aren’t they telling her what happened to her husband and son?”

At the time, I didn’t know DB existed and I assumed they all knew each other for years and when we later saw how Chichi’s personality can be, I understood Krillin’s hesitance to talk but when I saw DB, it made Krillin, Bulma and Roshi look even worse. They didn’t know her and they all decided to keep this secret from her. All of them should’ve told ChiChi since they were there. Chichi had to confront them after waiting all night for her husband and four year old son to return home. I can’t blame Chichi for feeling some type of way towards Goku’s friends for years. That was definitely a friend fail moment.

I agree. They should have told her. I also think she should have gone with Goku and Gohan to Madter Roshi's reunion in the first place. Fucking Toryama. He could have made her an integral member of the game, but nooooooooooo

On 10/21/2018 at 5:35 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I agree. They should have told her. I also think she should have gone with Goku and Gohan to Madter Roshi's reunion in the first place. Fucking Toryama. He could have made her an integral member of the game, but nooooooooooo

Would've been interesting to see if Chichi resumed training. At the very least, Chichi would've seen with her own eyes how Goku died and learned he was dead and had no knowledge Piccolo took Gohan. The way Goku's friends explained  I get why Chichi misunderstood and thought Goku knew their child was fighting.

• Love 1

So watching DBZ Kai again and had a thought pop into my head, what did they do with Goku's body while he was dead on earth?  Does his body go to the afterlife with him?  Did that happen and we don't see it transfer to the afterlife?  Do they bury him or just keep it around for when he comes back to life?  Not sure why this never occurred to me before lol.....

15 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

@TigerLily20 . . . when I first saw it, Goku's body vanished. But that was the Ocean dub, so they may have thrown that in.

I was thinking something like that, but I remember at the end of the Raditz fight everyone standing around his body and it still being there when the end credits started, and then it was never mentioned so it got me thinking lol.  Just kind of bugged me lol but I guess it would make sense if it vanishes to the afterlife

3 hours ago, TigerLily20 said:

I was thinking something like that, but I remember at the end of the Raditz fight everyone standing around his body and it still being there when the end credits started, and then it was never mentioned so it got me thinking lol.  Just kind of bugged me lol but I guess it would make sense if it vanishes to the afterlife

In the original episode, after he dies Goku's body vanishes to everyone's surprise.  Piccolo then explains that it was God/Kami's doing.  The plan was for Goku to keep his body in order to train with Kaiou in the afterlife.  

Interesting list. I admit some of the dubbed jokes are better but sometimes they make jokes at the expense of characters that it's bashing and not funny.  I disagree dubbed has better plot points because they change the dialogue sometimes where again it's almost character bashing. Several times dialogue is changed where Goku comes off as dumb whereas he doesn't in the subbed and Chichi comes off as a big shrew (I know she is in the subbed, too) but when she's being reasonable that's not always translated. In the dubbed Chichi flipped out at Gohan taking time off school to train for the tournament whereas in the subbed Chichi was fine with it and told Gohan there's always time for school later.  Using translations as a reason to drop plot points is a weak excuse when other dubbed companies can translate the same dialogue without changing the character or plot. If it's a censorship issue, that's different but a lot of times it's not.  

Team Four Star is doing its annual list . . . but instead of 24 days of videos, they're only doing twelve heading towards Christmas. The theme: best fights from the season. Here is the introduction video, along with #12.

Also, I believe TFS will be abridging a movie, releasing it on Christmas. Last year was "Plan To Eradicate the Saiyans," which turned into a fight between the heroes and Santa Claus himself. Good times.

Team Four Star gives the first half of the Androids/Cell Saga the "Kai" treatment. A lot of the jokes are based off the abridgements, but I think they hold up for casual fans.

I went to my local firehouse Christmas train garden (it was their 64th year so I wanted to take my son somewhere I went as a kid) and one of the displays was Dragon Ball with globe lights as beam attacks.  They had Vegita, Goku, SS4 Goku (I think, never saw super), Broley, the Eternal Dragon and a few others.  I assume one of the guys must have been a huge fan.

I think they're done for the year but if anyone is curious it's in Baltimore at the Glen Avenue Fire Department.  

ETA: Not my picture but one of the better ones I found online.

Edited by Matt K
11 hours ago, Matt K said:

I went to my local firehouse Christmas train garden (it was their 64th year so I wanted to take my son somewhere I went as a kid) and one of the displays was Dragon Ball with globe lights as beam attacks.  They had Vegita, Goku, SS4 Goku (I think, never saw super), Broley, the Eternal Dragon and a few others.  I assume one of the guys must have been a huge fan.

I think they're done for the year but if anyone is curious it's in Baltimore at the Glen Avenue Fire Department.  

ETA: Not my picture but one of the better ones I found online.

That's so cool, we aren't too far from Baltimore, little over and hour and may look into making a trip down there, my son's (middle one especially) would love that

Not much going on. Toonami is still running Kai (with a marathon tonight) and Team Four Star won’t be abridging the Buu saga (probably for the best). I did find this bit of stop-motion goodness merging DBZ with the latest hot meme.

Team Four Star put out another short, this one centering on Krillin and Eighteen's first date.

And here's a shorter short, featuring a character we don't see that often:

I decided to change banks a couple of months ago after my old bank screwed up my account while I was in the hospital. Did a little research, picked out a locally operated credit union, and went to the closest branch to get things rolling. As soon as I walked in I knew it was the right choice, because there was a 12" tall action figure of Super Saiyan Goku doing a Kamehameha on the counter in front of the end teller station. A few weeks later I talked to that teller, and he brings in a different thing every week to put there.

• LOL 1

From TFS . . . .Cell goes to HFIL.

The phrase "HFIL Episode 1" is in the description, so it looks like we're getting something to join "Dragon ShortZ" in filling the gap of the Buu Saga not being abridged. I'm good with that.

Edited by Lantern7