Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: 40 Days Sacrifice

Watching an old episode yesterday it listed Alana's occupation as "Texas Ranch Girl".

Make what you will of that job title.

I'd say, "Unemployed, lives with parents on their acreage" is probably a fair interpretation of that ;)

• Love 2

I used to have a lot of respect for Laura. That's now gone. She's the last one I expected to be on team mean girl ... yet there she sits. And I'm especially pissed off because she and EJ did so well and got so close when they were teamed up. I would've thought maybe she'd go talk to him or something? But no ... she joins in on the negativity.

And the absolute NERVE of those a-holes to be pissed when Jeff caught that eel and considered not sharing it ... when they refused to share their ray. Are you kidding me??? Jerks.

Go Jeff and EJ!!! I hope they're the only ones who finish the 40 days.

Edited by murf1013
  • Love 7

chris was always a misogynist. if I recall correctly, to get him to join in picking on the lazy one (rally which one of them would it be? heh) I am glad Dani did not tell them about the otters. 

aren't we missing threads episode 8 and 9? 

Edited by holly4755

Jeff & EJ are smart to steer clear of the "Drama queens" of the tribe of big talkers! Way too much BS about others and not enough teamwork. Alana and her "Survival IS lazy" attitude, in addition to her nasty habit of talking smack about others behind their backs should win her the LEAST DESIRABLE survival partner of any pairing! And Chris has shown his New Jersey jerk side on enough occasions now that he and Alana should get a room together after the show and invite Honora for a memorable night of oral sex (Shouting FU to each other across the room!)! Dani was treated like a bastard stepchild, when she could have done the challenge all by herself! The show in general is a test of a persons intestinal fortitude, knowledge of survival tactics, and the ability to work together towards an end goal, but too many times people can't shake their individual hangups and their human faults and frailties. Shane may have had his own demons to work through, but his heart was in the right place, he just got screwed by having to partner up with 2 human slugs that dragged him down. 

• Love 7

I've been following the show from the start and I want to compliment the producers for an entertaining and illumating show. We know these people can survive or at least starve for twenty days as we have seen it on previous shows. The difference in supporting more people and personal conficts only seem to compound.

My favorite people are EJ, Shane, and Dani. EJ not necessarily for his skills for providing but rather for his more positive/agressive inspirational role. Shane was personally my favorite bad ass. What a provider... I'm glad he tapped when his health was at severe risk. While I do feel that he did overextend himself in the beginning he was providing for himself and two other people. He would have been better off I feel to have just started off alone and waited for a second person to join him. Dani I feel could have completed the fourty days alone. She was the one that provided the mosquito/fishing net that the other girls used. She was the one that found the guys. A natural explorer. She simply needed a personal friend to support and encourage her. Dani would have actually been the better match for Chris/Luke rather than the other girls with her scouting for food. Alana/Eva might have been able to survive together but all they seem to be able to do on a larger team is leach.

My own strategy on this show I think would have been to travel closer to the extraction point from the start going the round about way with maybe following the tree line or close to it and gathering along the way. Maybe a three/four person team with one/two scouting ahead while others gather/hunt but always moving forward.

• Love 3

I've been wondering what different initial team setups would have yielded vs what we got the past few weeks. Given how unstable Honora is, would she have behaved the same with other partners or tapped out? Would Hakim have tapped out early anyway if he was with a couple of the women? I would have loved to have watched Alana deal with EJ and Jeff early on - how long would they have tolerated her laziness?

There are a few strong individuals in this bunch - Jeff, EJ, Shane and Dani. There might be a few others from the original Naked and Afraid series that could go it alone too that I hope Discovery would consider a Naked and Afraid series where they're forced to spend part of the time alone before they come across each other. While I'm finding this current series interesting I'm done with his format when it ends. Some of the episodes (like the past 2 weeks) exhibited behavior that's uncomfortable to watch. I don't watch Survivor and I don't want to watch it under another name.

• Love 1

I've been wondering what different initial team setups would have yielded vs what we got the past few weeks. Given how unstable Honora is, would she have behaved the same with other partners or tapped out? Would Hakim have tapped out early anyway if he was with a couple of the women? I would have loved to have watched Alana deal with EJ and Jeff early on - how long would they have tolerated her laziness?

There are a few strong individuals in this bunch - Jeff, EJ, Shane and Dani. There might be a few others from the original Naked and Afraid series that could go it alone too that I hope Discovery would consider a Naked and Afraid series where they're forced to spend part of the time alone before they come across each other. While I'm finding this current series interesting I'm done with his format when it ends. Some of the episodes (like the past 2 weeks) exhibited behavior that's uncomfortable to watch. I don't watch Survivor and I don't want to watch it under another name.

I can't see Honora doing well in any team at all. They probably just included her in the show this time for the drama. I agree with you, they should spend more alone time without grouping up. At this point I suspect any future XL participants will avoid making a gigantic group because they've witnessed the disaster it is.

As for Hakim, I think he was just unlucky, and maybe the Jeff/EJ team wasn't the best pick for him this time, since they chose to spend a lot of energy and dehydrated early on.

• Love 2

Chris and Eva during their "confessionals" were asked their best moment and they both picked day 31 the night where it rained but they built up the fire and sang and laughed and told stories. 

Day 31 was the day Shane tapped out.  Did they actually throw a celebration?  It sounds like it.

I went from liking everyone except Honora early in the season to disliking everyone except Dani the lone wanderer and the 3 alpha males. Lol, I never thought I would be rooting for alpha males. Shane, despite tapping, was one of the "winners" imo.

• Love 1