Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: 40 Days Sacrifice

With 15 days to go in the 40-day challenge, the ten remaining survivalists - dehydrated and protein starved - find themselves converging at dangerous Piranha Lake where they will they compete over scarce food and water.

Too bad about Shane. Alana's comments about his exit were unnecessary. What has she done the whole time except make her disparaging comments?

It was nice of Jeff to split another eel with the other group, what would they have done otherwise?

• Love 7

Shane: Weirdo to the end. But Team MeanGirl is just ridiculously over-the-top dripping with smugness at all times. I really despise them--they remind me of every bad boss (regardless of sex) that there ever was. If you're not one of their pets, then nothing you do is ever good enough.

I can't believe someone would actually try to herd an electric eel with their body.

My favorite person on the show remains Laura. Always positive and cheerful, never mopey or pissy.

• Love 2

Well, I would imagine that it would be hard to eat when others are starving around you. But he didn't share the well or how to dig it, did he? Did I miss that? 

Did Shane start the whole project being very thin? they said something about losing 12 pounds and people have lost a lot more than that. I wish he would have just laid down and rested, but some people are not capable of that. 

Alana,well, you can't be edited to say things you did not say, and I know the producers prod you, but you don't have to do it. 

• Love 3

Alana can stop being so smug any time now.  If Shane hadn't worked so hard all that time when he was with them, they wouldn't have had the time to sit around and bitch about him.  Alana, it's BECAUSE of Shane that you and the vegetarian lasted this long, not in spite of him.

• Love 12

That "Alpha male" stuff is getting old. Look up the word guys. You can't all be the alpha! ;-)

As for sharing the food, I commend Jeff for doing that (it would be hypocritical for him to be shown praying and then not share), but it's not as if they could keep the uneaten portion with all the predators around plus the certainty of spoilage in the heat.

• Love 2

I was disappointed Shane tapped out. I thought after the water, eel, and fish he would have been OK. And WTF with the mean girls when they showed Shane laying on the ground, passed out? They just said 'is that Shane? ', and walked away. That was cold, they could have checked to see if he was OK.

I think vegetarian girl might be the next one out.

• Love 11

Isn't one of the other girls also a vegetarian? Or maybe it's that she just doesn't like fish? I remember a few episodes back someone eating some fish and not saving any for the third girl ( who was off meeting the two guy team) and the other girl wasn't eating any...

Though maybe survival trumps her choice to not eat meat.

Edited by Jjrmt

I was worried about Shane and actually relieved when he finally decided to tap out.  I was afraid he would work himself literally to death (or at least as close as the crew would let him get).  I hope he hasn't caused permanent injury to himself by abusing his body so severely. 

I'm having a hard time with Jeff and EJ's attitude, but maybe there is some monetary reward involved that viewers aren't privy to.  It just doesn't seem very humane to have such a selfish and righteous attitude. 

• Love 2

I appreciate EJ's and Jeff's kind attitude toward Shane. That was excellent. However, I'm a little surprised by the macho(?) stuff going on with EJ and Jeff isolating themselves from the rest of the group. Then again, Chris probably wishes he could be one of them. ;) If this show was supposed to be a competition, then EJ and Jeff would be doing the right thing by separating themselves because they are more self sufficient with just two of them but it isn't a competition, right? I wonder if their survival scores will rise or fall because of their cutthroat attitudes. Yes, they did share the eel. I'm glad, but what about the well? If they did share the well then kudos to them.

The longer this show goes, there are more questions than answers. Why aren't Laura and EJ expressing the bond they shared after their own 21 days together? I was sure they would click again and help each other out for the good of the whole group. I like the way the other group accepted Alana and Danielle without saying "Oh great, how are we expected to feed 2 more when we can't feed ourselves?" (Meanwhile, Chris is still thinking, "I wish I was with EJ and Jeff'". lol) I feel bad for the larger group because they all know, even if they don't say it, that they could use the "muscle" of Jeff and EJ. Those 2 guys are missing an opportunity to be leaders and guarantee the success of the remaining survivors, which is what we would want to see if this was a real life situation.

• Love 2

Sorry to see Shane Tap out.  But happy he went out on his own and not because he was emotionally drained the way he was when EJ and Jeff found him. Great team once all together.

And I get that EJ and Jeff know they work better as a team and did not need to blend with the others.  The fact they have shared their eels without being part of the big group speaks volumes for both men.  Not everyone believes you need a village to be Naked and Afraid.  And they were upfront and honest about it to the group so more points.  These guys are definitely drama free. 

EJ and Jeff keeping their water source a secret is ok too.  Its a game not a life or death situation and the others have water they just need to do more to get it.  And its not like the Large group has anything else to do since they all have adopted the "Lazy Survival" method so boiling water all day should be a breeze.

Edited by gaPeach
  • Love 10

..The fact they have shared their eels without being part of the big group speaks volumes for both men.  Not everyone believes you need a village to be Naked and Afraid.  And they were upfront and honest about it to the group so more points.  These guys are definitely drama free. 

Wonder why they never followed up on the "Hi everybody! It's Jeff and EJ here!" thread that Jeff started?

Edited by Liberty
  • Love 1

Sorry to see Shane Tap out.  But happy he went out on his own and not because he was emotionally drained the way he was when EJ and Jeff found him. Great team once all together.

And I get that EJ and Jeff know they work better as a team and did not need to blend with the others.  The fact they have shared their eels without being part of the big group speaks volumes for both men.  Not everyone believes you need a village to be Naked and Afraid.  And they were upfront and honest about it to the group so more points.  These guys are definitely drama free. 

EJ and Jeff leeping their water source a secret is ok too.  Its a game not a life or death situation and the others have water they just need to do more to get it.  And its not like the Large group has anything else to do since they all have adopted the "Lazy Survival" method so boiling water all day should be a breeze.

Good points!

• Love 3

About the well water, since they are all around a lake wouldn't there be other potential well sites?

I agree, Jeff and EJ didn't have to share their well water as the others had access to water - they did state that they wanted to work separately. Who wants to work with people that appear to not know what they're doing such as how to catch an eel and whatever else.

• Love 7

I think the little glimpse EJ and Jeff saw of the Mean Girls' behavior back at the starting camp explains why they want to stay separate from the larger group.  They really don't have enough evidence to call out Dani and Alana, but they saw enough to make them wary of getting involved in drama.  Especially as they had taken Shane under their wing.  Keeping separate just made sense, I though.  They knew Shane well enough to know he didn't want to get involved in any "he said, she said" bitchfest, and that Alana and Dani could and probably would start a whispering campaign against Shane behind their backs, poisoning the others against him (not to mention Shane's own awkward attitude would not work in his favor in a larger group).  No one needed that.  Shane is probably a great guy one on one, but in larger groups - or with women - he just is too damaged to mesh well.

I'm sorry Shane tapped out, but I'm glad he went out on his own terms.  That smug little smile on Alana's face said worlds.  I hope she has to tap out.  But they're close enough to the end that she probably won't.  Loved that Jeff was good with sharing his eel, but agree that the larger group has access to water (though they have to boil it), so no need to mention the well.  That was Shane's gift to them.  Alana and Dani don't deserve it.

• Love 9

I think the little glimpse EJ and Jeff saw of the Mean Girls' behavior back at the starting camp explains why they want to stay separate from the larger group.  ...They knew Shane well enough to know... that Alana and Dani could and probably would start a whispering campaign against Shane behind their backs, poisoning the others against him (not to mention Shane's own awkward attitude would not work in his favor in a larger group).  No one needed that.  

Loved that Jeff was good with sharing his eel, but agree that the larger group has access to water (though they have to boil it), so no need to mention the well.  That was Shane's gift to them.  Alana and Dani don't deserve it.

Good point. Alana absolutely *would* have used a gossip/whisper campaign against Shane if they were in the same group. (She probably did anyway.)

When Alana and Danielle saw Shane curled up in fetal position on the sand, beyond exhausted and obviously in pain, their cruel snickering said it all. Especially Danielle, as a medical professional (EMT), should have been concerned and made sure he wasn't unconscious or whatever. 

...EJ and Jeff know they work better as a team and did not need to blend with the others.  The fact they have shared their eels without being part of the big group speaks volumes for both men.  Not everyone believes you need a village to be Naked and Afraid.  

EJ and Jeff keeping their water source a secret is ok too ... the others have water they just need to do more to get it.  And its not like the Large group has anything else to do since they all have adopted the "Lazy Survival" method so boiling water all day should be a breeze.

Like everyone else, I'm glad EJ and Jeff shared some eel with the others. Sharing, trading, and borrowing back and forth are good things to do with your neighbors. It allows everyone to have access to more resources. But those who imply that EJ and Jeff should have shared the well Shane dug for them, and who hint that EJ and Jeff are selfish not to join the large group now and pretty much officially be put in charge of providing protein for everyone, are assuming that the other 7 people could not provide for themselves.

(If that is the case, they aren't meeting the challenge, and I don't think they should stay.)

Well-digging isn't exactly a new idea. It has been used on other survival challenges, and I'd be shocked if none of those other 7 'survivalists' had ever heard of it!

--The real problem is, digging a well takes a lot of work, and work is avoided by those who follow Alana's "lazy survival" method.

Fishing and eel-hunting also take work --in fact, killing eels requires bravery --both of which seem a bit scarce among that group of 7.

Edited by Crazy Bird Lady
  • Love 14

I have a feeling that Jeff and EJ's motivation to stay separate rom the others was to protect Shane. With Shane now gone I wonder if they will merge with the others? I wonder if we would have seen an entirely different Shane if he had been paired with Jeff and EJ from the start? From the editing and previews from the next episode it appears Danielle is fading fast. I found it disappointing that she followed Alana's lead in the mean girl campaign against Shane. She should have been more empathetic towards him as she has some individual food issues separate from the group, and he had some emotional issues apparently. I love the people with a good attitude that go with the flow!

• Love 1

I have a feeling that Jeff and EJ's motivation to stay separate from the others was to protect Shane.

I agree and I was happy that they did that.  EJ saw Shane completely shut down when he was around those two women and EJ was also wise enough to know that Alana and Dani were drama queens.  He and Jeff are fine on their own and didn't need the emotional crap that would have been inevitable.  I also think they didn't want to be put in the position of having to be leaders/hunters for the rest of the group.  Watching the others try to fish was entertaining; why would EJ want to shut that show off?

With regard to the well, with so many people in the group, they have plenty of time to get water from the lake, boil it and cool it down for consumption.  The perfect lazy job for Alana!

• Love 5

I too am a bit confused as to why they don't all work together.  Is there some sort of monetary reward for lasting to the end?  I get there's the pride in wanting to finish and the feeling that other people are going to drag them down, but why not all try to help each other?  Surely most of these people (except Honora) weren't picked for this "all stars" show because they are completely useless.  Assign everyone tasks and do it all as a team.

In the regular episodes, I'm sure someone's PSR rating would go down if they displayed a selfish mentality.  I get that the PSR rating is meaningless and arbitrary, but I guess there's a lot about this season that they are not telling us.

• Love 1

When they showed the XLR for Jeff, EJ and Shane went down for not joining the big group, I was like "WHAT?! They're the only ones getting food! And they dug a goddamn well!" XLR is bullshit anyway, but wow. 

Alana is a royal see-you-next-Tuesday. And Danielle being a wilderness EMT and not checking on Shane is disgusting. What a petty bunch of straight-up, basic BITCHES they are. They will survive because others have dragged their broke asses all over the savanna, not because they are any good at anything.

• Love 11

Fishing and eel-hunting also take work --in fact, killing eels requires bravery --both of which seem a bit scarce among that group of 7.

I think Dani (the kickass omnivore one) would have been able to take that eel if Luke weren't in the way trying to hug it to death.

Really not a fan of Team Twice as Useless. The social loafing effect comes into play even more now and is not exciting to watch.

• Love 2

I think Shane leaving was for the best. He seemed to be getting depressed from not being able to work with the guys and he would probably try to work more and get himself in even more trouble. He was already looking dangerously skinny in comparison to the start. It's a shame, their team seemed to be perfect now, with everyone doing something useful. Jeff really impressed with his fishing skills.

It's funny Alana talks about carrying deadweight, as that's exactly what she's been in this episode. The grin on her face when Shane left was pretty disgusting. I think the guys did really well to keep separated, given they're pretty much feeding the other team since they moved to piranha lake. When the bigger team caught that small snake, I could only picture it being divided into seven parts. Even if they caught the larger snakes later in the episode, it would still be too little. They're just so many that it seems their work will always be less rewarding unless they figured out a way to catch eels easily.

When Alana and Danielle saw Shane curled up in fetal position on the sand, beyond exhausted and obviously in pain, their cruel snickering said it all. Especially Danielle, as a medical professional (EMT), should have been concerned and made sure he wasn't unconscious or whatever.

I'm really disappointed with Danielle, you'd think she would have learned something from her previous Naked and Afraid experience, but it's almost as if that's never happened. She had to work with a pretty difficult guy and they ended up overcoming their difficulties in personality for the greater good. That's never happened this time. I'm not even sure why she and Alana left their previous place, they were doing fine there.
  • Love 2

I think Dani (the kickass omnivore one) would have been able to take that eel if Luke weren't in the way trying to hug it to death.

Really not a fan of Team Twice as Useless. The social loafing effect comes into play even more now and is not exciting to watch.

I think social psychology gets in the way in the end and people just don't feel as compelled to try different strategies, especially now that the group is even bigger. I guess everyone getting on the eel wasn't much helpful either.

• Love 1

I was worried about Shane and actually relieved when he finally decided to tap out.  I was afraid he would work himself literally to death (or at least as close as the crew would let him get).  I hope he hasn't caused permanent injury to himself by abusing his body so severely. 

Based on his Twitter, he is okay. He even went naked skydiving!

The longer this show goes, there are more questions than answers. Why aren't Laura and EJ expressing the bond they shared after their own 21 days together? I was sure they would click again and help each other out for the good of the whole group. I like the way the other group accepted Alana and Danielle without saying "Oh great, how are we expected to feed 2 more when we can't feed ourselves?" (Meanwhile, Chris is still thinking, "I wish I was with EJ and Jeff'". lol) I feel bad for the larger group because they all know, even if they don't say it, that they could use the "muscle" of Jeff and EJ. Those 2 guys are missing an opportunity to be leaders and guarantee the success of the remaining survivors, which is what we would want to see if this was a real life situation.

I find this weird, too. And yeah if I were in that group, I'd totally be thinking quietly about how I would prefer to join their group haha.

Alana can stop being so smug any time now.  If Shane hadn't worked so hard all that time when he was with them, they wouldn't have had the time to sit around and bitch about him.  Alana, it's BECAUSE of Shane that you and the vegetarian lasted this long, not in spite of him.

Seriously! On her N&A episode, she only survived because she spent the rest of the time after her partner tapped out sleeping the days away. That's the only way she survived--she just didn't die! She is not the survivalist she thinks she is.

• Love 2

Is Alana the one who works in a mall, at the make up counter or something like that?  Ugh, I'd never want to buy make up from her.

In her first appearance, her occupation was "Luxury Retail Supervisor, Freelance Makeup Artist" and in this incarnation her bio says "plays roller derby and competes in tactical shooting events to keep her mind and focus sharp. She works as a supervisor in luxury retail, and also has been a makeup artist for over ten years, which is her creative outlet."

I thought on XL show it listed her occupation as 'ranch girl' or something ranch related. 

Luxury retail, hmmmmmm?  She must relate better to luxury retail customers than she did to her team-mates.

• Love 2

In her first appearance, her occupation was "Luxury Retail Supervisor, Freelance Makeup Artist" and in this incarnation her bio says "plays roller derby and competes in tactical shooting events to keep her mind and focus sharp. She works as a supervisor in luxury retail, and also has been a makeup artist for over ten years, which is her creative outlet."

I thought on XL show it listed her occupation as 'ranch girl' or something ranch related. 

Luxury retail, hmmmmmm?  She must relate better to luxury retail customers than she did to her team-mates.

I feel sorry for anyone who has had to be under her supervision.

Her occupation this time is listed as something ranch related. I believe that involves a lot of heavy work, lol.

• Love 2

I feel bad for the larger group because they all know, even if they don't say it, that they could use the "muscle" of Jeff and EJ. Those 2 guys are missing an opportunity to be leaders and guarantee the success of the remaining survivors, which is what we would want to see if this was a real life situation.

But this is not a real life situation. It's a survival challenge, designed to test the skills of an elite group of (supposedly) trained survivalists. Participants are receiving a survival rating based on the performance of their own group.

[They aren't being rated on whether they can 'save' other participants who can't (-or won't-) survive without their help.]

• Love 3

Luxury retail? *snerk* Maybe that's why she turned up her nose at Shane, who grew up in foster care and probably didn't have a lot of money/nice things. 

Luxury retail could be working as a salesperson in Gracious Homes; or a high end department store.

Alana's a stuck up witch who probably grew up in a place where everybody had two parents and lived a certain type of lifestyle and looks down on someone who didn't have the same type of life.  She's a nasty person.

• Love 2

I think Shane, Jeff and EJ are similar. They don't like large groups and want to keep things simple. That's why they got along. I have no issue with them wanting to be on their own. I would advise them to stay away from the larger group. It's difficult enough to take care of yourself. Why should they have to feed so called survival experts? Particularly when it's clear some of them are lazy and don't want to put in the effort to find food.

Chris is a fisherman. He has shown no fishing skills. I Assume he works on a trawler.

Maybe if Alana had given Shane a little piece of her minnow, Shane would still be there.

• Love 6

I think Shane, Jeff and EJ are similar. They don't like large groups and want to keep things simple. That's why they got along. I have no issue with them wanting to be on their own. I would advise them to stay away from the larger group. It's difficult enough to take care of yourself. Why should they have to feed so called survival experts? Particularly when it's clear some of them are lazy and don't want to put in the effort to find food.

Chris is a fisherman. He has shown no fishing skills. I Assume he works on a trawler.

Maybe if Alana had given Shane a little piece of her minnow, Shane would still be there.

Seems like Chris would have a better idea how to use that stupid mosquito net.  My young kids have caught more stuff playing on a river bank in two hours, including snakes.  Unless they are catching small stuff and not showing us. 

Alana smugly didn't want to share her fish with Shane, but happily accepted eel caught by another.  She is just THE WORST.  Even Honora is less awful because she at least quit.

• Love 6

I'm sad, but not surprised that Shane tapped out. He was mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. After seeing the 'ladies' shocking lack of concern when they saw him collapsed half-conscious on the ground, I think anyone would have had enough. How on earth is one of these women an EMT? Shame on you, Danielle for not rushing over to check his pulse or whatever. You are an embarrassment to your medical profession.

I totally don't understand Alana's world view. Yes, it's good to conserve your energy, but you should still pull your own weight and help your teammates, particularly during the crucial early period when you are trying to get the basics of water, fire, food, and shelter. Shane kept doing things like getting food for them, without the appropriate quid pro quo--like, I dunno, basket weaving (a low energy task more useful than catty chatter). In a survival situation, there is always something you could be doing. Always. Also, in order to need to conserve energy, you need to have first spent it, and the best way to conserve energy is through REM sleep--which they weren't doing. In summation, the whole concept of better survival through laziness and mooching is flawed.

• Love 4

........ In summation, the whole concept of better survival through laziness and mooching is flawed.

Not if you are surrounded by people from advanced western societies and you have lady parts which could be considered somewhat appealing. Besides, I do not think that Alana is going for better survival, because that would require negotiating with those lady parts. I think Alana is going for easier survival, which just requires the kindness and charity of others. Food always taste better when you did absolutely nothing to earn it.

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 2

I think "luxury retail" means she might sell makeup and lipstick at a department store like Macy's.  Or it could mean she works at a drugstore like Walgreens, which sells lipstick, which she considers to be a luxury item, so therefore, she "works in luxury retail".  It sounds better than "cashier".

• Love 3

I'd like to know why Dani (non-EMT, non-mean girl) always looks so clean and neat while everyone else looks as if they've been rolling in mud? I don't think Dani has bought into the Lazy Survivor method. Dani looks like she emerged from an Herbal Essences shampoo ad while Her Royal Smirkiness, Perma-BitchFace, looks filthy. She is truly disgusting on the outside as well as inside.

• Love 4

I'd like to know why Dani (non-EMT, non-mean girl) always looks so clean and neat while everyone else looks as if they've been rolling in mud? I don't think Dani has bought into the Lazy Survivor method. Dani looks like she emerged from an Herbal Essences shampoo ad while Her Royal Smirkiness, Perma-BitchFace, looks filthy. She is truly disgusting on the outside as well as inside.

I really wish they'd show more of Dani, but it's hard for her to get much camera time in such a large group.
  • Love 1

Hey Alana, Shane accomplished more on any single day than you have the entire time.  Can you hunt?  No.  Do you build anything?  No.  You're totally useless dead weight.  Survival is about more than just laying around in camps other people build and eating food other people catch.  You are the antithesis of a survivalist.  You're just a girl with a very big mouth.

• Love 8

All that nonsense just translates to "professional realty TV show fame whore." I've seen a few ranch girls before... Usually in pornos.

This show is... Not that good? I don't know but everything seems so much faker and scripted than a regular N&A episode. I'm so sick of EJ taking to the camera like he's the host of the show or something. 

• Love 1

All that nonsense just translates to "professional realty TV show fame whore." I've seen a few ranch girls before... Usually in pornos.

..... I'm so sick of EJ taking to the camera like he's the host of the show or something. 

Maybe Jeff and EJ are trying to make themselves the 'faces' of N&A for fame reasons.  Just thinking about Jeff's post here and EJ's demeanor on camera.  They had enough time to come up with a marketing plan.

Hell, EJ would not have made it through the Tanzania episode without 'non-intervention' by the producer and medic.  He brings the drama with the foot problem in Tanzania and then the working to exhaustion in the Amazon episode. 

I felt really sorry for Shane until I saw his original season- he has anger issues and was fortunate to have a partner sympathetic to his problems. She was very mature for 22 years old, and it is ironic because Shane frequently ranted about how useless 20 something's are. Instead of traveling the world, Shane should invest in a competent therapist and work on fixing his broken spirit. Yes, he had a horrible childhood, but the only thing worse than that is allowing it to rule and somewhat ruin the rest of your life. The best revenge is success!

• Love 1

Translation: she works the makeup counter at a department store.

This woman is a poser and nothing more.  Another thing I forgot to mention as she yapped about Shane doing himself in by working too hard, maybe a pound of turtle meat would have given him the sustenance he needed those first three weeks, if two selfish and inconsiderate idiots hadn't let it get away.

• Love 4