Type keyword(s) to search

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The Toy Story movies have always had a sense of pathos.  It's so bittersweet being a child's toy.

I love the relationship between Buzz and Woody.  That's why I looked around in the theater and wondered who was cutting onions at the end of the movie.

Edited by spaulding
  • Love 6

We tried to bring my nephew today, unknowingly went in the wrong theater, and saw only the last 15 minutes. It was a good 15 minutes with some laughs, but I don't know if it was enough to make me go see the whole actual movie. (Even with the free comp tickets we got for being idiots!)

• Love 1

I brought my five year old to see it and she loved it. I liked it and definitely thought it was a good movie.  I liked the new characters a lot - they added a lot to the movie.  

If I had to rank the Toy Story movies up until now, I would probably rank them this way:

Toy Story 2

Toy Story

Toy Story 4 

and Toy Story 3.  But the last two are not far apart and all are exemplary

• Love 1

Saw it today and it held up to the quality standards the previous films held. I feel like Woody has been heading this direction all this time, so even if it was never the intent some 20 years ago, it all gelled really well. 

I loved that the gags were genuinely funny. I was laughing out loud at forky and I didn’t think I’d like that character at all. At first glance it felt too “Olaf” for me but I liked how he was important as a catalyst but wasn’t over used and didn’t keep the gag going too long. 

I legit cried the last 20 mins of it. It got so bad by the end I was making gurgling noises breathing in, you know what I’m talking about, lol. It was ugly! Lol. But damn, that last line between Buzz and Woody BROKE ME!!! 

I enjoyed this a lot and so did my kids. 

• Love 5

I thought it was hilarious and sad. The new characters were fantastic. Also cried the last ten minutes and am not embarrassed about it. What a wonderful franchise- thank you Pixar!

• Love 7
On 6/21/2019 at 8:22 PM, moonorchid said:

But damn, that last line between Buzz and Woody BROKE ME!!!  

Same.  I think that the relationship between Buzz and Woody is the heart of Toy Story.  

Spoiler

And for them to part is heartbreaking.  

Each Toy Story movie is amazing.  Each movie shows how bittersweet it is to be a child's toy.  Gabby Gabby lulls Woody by reminding him of his past life with Andy, and despite the eventual heartbreak, she wants to be a child's toy.

• Love 7
(edited)

At the end end,

there were in memoriams to Don Rickles (that said, "We are eternally grateful"), and another person whose name escapes me. 

And, instead of the desk lamp coming out and hopping on the "I" of Pixar, Duke Caboom came out and bounced his motorcycle on it.

Incidentally, since the movie's been out three whole days, do I still need to spoiler tag things like this?  I know I hate to be spoiled, but at the same time, I do want to know if I should stay through the credits.

Edited by Browncoat
to try to fix spoiler tag, and fail
  • Love 4
(edited)

I liked it but it didn't hit me in the feels the way each of the other ones has.  I felt for Gabby Gabby finally getting herself a kid and I did like Woody passing along his badge to Jesse but the Buzz/Woody ending left me a little cold and I'm not sure why.  Maybe because they spent most of the movie apart?  But at its heart I really feel like the point of the franchise is the relationship between the toys and and their owners (I was initially going to say Woody/Andy but Jessie's story with Emily in TS 2 breaks me every single time) not Woody/Buzz.  The comedy hits, and it's a good movie in it's own right, but it doesn't have quite the emotional gut punch moment that each of the first three is known for.  That said, I still may place it above Toy Story 3 in my hierarchy because while the last half hour of 3 might be the best final act in the studio's history, what leads up to it is fairly forgettable.  I at least felt this movie was consistently entertaining throughout even if it never crested as high as 3, which is admittedly a tall order.  The visuals are absolutely beautiful and the detailing of the antique shop in particular is practically perfect.  I rewatched 1, 2, and 3 in preparation and it's amazing how the technology has evolved when you see them back to back to back (to back).  Probably the weakest part of the animation 25 years ago was the dogs in Toy Story 1 but the cat in this one looked fantastic as did the details on the pipe cleaner that made up Forky's arms.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 9

I think what makes the ending so satisfying is, at the end of Toy Story 3, Woody made the selfless choice to sacrifice staying with Andy in order to give his friends a second life as Bonnie's toys, instead of being in storage in the attic. So he earned the right to "retire" and have happiness with Bo Peep. Compare this to a similar choice made by a character at the end of Avengers: Endgame, which was controversial with some fans because it was considered too "selfish".

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I think what makes the ending so satisfying is, at the end of Toy Story 3, Woody made the selfless choice to sacrifice staying with Andy in order to give his friends a second life as Bonnie's toys, instead of being in storage in the attic. So he earned the right to "retire" and have happiness with Bo Peep. Compare this to a similar choice made by a character at the end of Avengers: Endgame, which was controversial with some fans because it was considered too "selfish".

What Steve did and what Woody did are two different things.  Woody

didn't go back in time and change the past/create an alternate timeline and mess with his old flame's new life with another man just so that HE could be happy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

What Steve did and what Woody did are two different things.  Woody

Hide contents

didn't go back in time and change the past/create an alternate timeline and mess with his old flame's new life with another man just so that HE could be happy.

I just had a startling thought concerning a line attributed to Peggy in Civil War that I want to discuss in the Endgame forum!

I was worried that this would break the Toy Story franchise's winning streak, since Toy Story 3 was perfect, but this was great! I loved the return of Bo Peep, and her and Woody were great together.

The opening scene with Bo getting donated was heartbreaking, even though I knew they were going to meet up again. Can you imagine if that had been in the last movie on top of everything else? It would have killed us.

LOVED Ducky, Bunny, Forky, and Duke Kaboom! Laughed so hard at each of Ducky and Bunny's attack plans.

The dummies were creepy.

What shocked me was how Gabby Gabby was the nicest and more sympathetic of the Toy Story villains. Usually they start out pretending to be nice guys before stabbing you in the back. But Gabby wasn't really bad at all, she just wanted to be loved. And it was wonderful how she wound up helping (and going with) the lost girl. See, now THAT'S how you do a sympathetic antagonist with some nuance.

The group hug at the end broke me.

I was fine with Woody deciding to go with Bo and part from his friends. His true calling has always been helping other toys. And I liked that Buzz was the one that gave him that extra nudge.

But geez, people on social media are throwing tantrums, doing stupid memes about Andy finding out Bonnie lost his favorite toy...geez, they really missed the point of the last movie. Woody realized he couldn't hold on to Andy forever, and vice versa. Andy grew up and moved on with his life. And it's not fair to trash Bonnie -- a freaking SIX YEAR OLD -- for doing what plenty of other kids have done with their toys (forgetting them, neglecting them, etc).

All in all, a great addition/possible conclusion. Well done, as always, Pixar!

• Love 14

I loved this and it felt like a logical progression for Woody.  

My only complaint is that Winter Combat Carl never got is high five.  I have such a soft spot for Combat Carl going back to toy Story of Terror and was thrilled to see that toy show up in the movie.  I was hoping one of the end credits scene would have someone give him that high five.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

I loved this and it felt like a logical progression for Woody.  

My only complaint is that Winter Combat Carl never got is high five.  I have such a soft spot for Combat Carl going back to toy Story of Terror and was thrilled to see that toy show up in the movie.  I was hoping one of the end credits scene would have someone give him that high five.

He got his high five at the very very end of the credits, from Duke Caboom, after Duke steps in for the desk lamp and jumps on the "I" of Pixar.

Just got back from seeing it a second time, and I still loved it.  Still teared up at the group hug at the end.  Still howled with laughter at the toys "driving" the RV (and the possibility of Dad going to jail).  And Gabby Gabby finding her kid still hit me in all the feels. 

• Love 9
Just now, Browncoat said:

He got his high five at the very very end of the credits, from Duke Caboom, after Duke steps in for the desk lamp and jumps on the "I" of Pixar.

Just got back from seeing it a second time, and I still loved it.  Still teared up at the group hug at the end.  Still howled with laughter at the toys "driving" the RV (and the possibility of Dad going to jail).  And Gabby Gabby finding her kid still hit me in all the feels. 

I missed it!  I left the theater too soon.  I’m happy he got that high five.  I have to tell my niece because she’s fond of Combat Carl, too.

• Love 4

I really enjoyed this.  Not quite as much as the first two, but more than the 3rd one.  I loved Bo, but what had me laughing until I was tearing up were the two stuffed carnival toys (voiced by Kevin and Peele) coming up with a plan to get the shop owner's keys, then again at the end when they thought they could help distract the kid running the game. 

"Dad's totally going to jail"  and "Ok, daddy's going to say some words now"  lol!

I was hoping for a bit more from Keanu's Duke, but he was still funny. 

• Love 2

I was definitely in the camp that had some trepidation about this since I thought they capped the trilogy off perfectly, but I was relieved that I still thought this was quite good, even great.  Maybe still my least favorite of the series and I could maybe still argue over if it was a necessary addition, but it still managed to deliver both the laughs and the heart that the trilogy did, the story was still well done and relatable, and the characters continue to be fantastic.  So, that still makes it an easy win in my book.

While I was a little disappointed that some of the OG toys kind of took a backseat (granted, in come cases it could because the actors are no longer with us, like Jim Varney and Don Rickles), but I thought all the new additions were great.  Ducky and Bunny might have almost just been Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele doing Key & Peele skits in animated form, but I see nothing wrong with that!  Not familiar with Ally Maki, but I thought she was really good as Giggle McDimples.  The Combat Carl stuff was funny.  And, of course, Keanu Reeves as Duke Caboom!  Best casting ever!

I heard some complaints about Gabby Gabby being another "villain that isn't a villain", since that has been happening a lot in films and shows, but I didn't mind since this is the first time the Toy Story series did it.  And I thought Christina Hendricks was able to pull off both the initial creepiness, but then the sympathy at the end.

Loved Bo Peep's return and being a significant part this go around.

It did kind of feel like even Buzz got sidelined too, but I did get a kick out of him thinking that Woody as referring to his voice box/button, when talking about listening to "the voice inside."

The entire concept of Forky brings up so many questions about toys and them being sentient.  If a kid thinks of something as a toy, will they just come to life?  Damn, talk about power!

Personally, I liked the ending and I felt like they earned it.  Woody has spent his entire life being there for both Andy and Bonnie, but it was clear that he just wasn't a main toy for her anymore, and it was finally time for him to find happiness with Bo.  Plus, she'll clearly be in good hands with Buzz and the rest of the gang.  If the series continues though, I wonder if will follow Buzz and the original gang or keep with Woody, Bo, and the new toys?  Or maybe they'll just find a crazy way to still have them all reunite.

Glad I checked it out and it ended up exceeding my expectations.  While it still did well, I'm a little surprised that the box office returns were lower than projected, and especially fell short from Incredibles 2 last year.  Was their just some that hesitated and worried they would be let down?  Is the Toy Story franchise just not as popular as it used to be?  Granted, $120 million opening weekend is certainly nothing to sneeze at, but I'm just curious about that, and seeing how it will fare in the upcoming weeks.

• Love 5
On 6/27/2019 at 7:09 PM, Shannon L. said:

I really enjoyed this.  Not quite as much as the first two, but more than the 3rd one.  I loved Bo, but what had me laughing until I was tearing up were the two stuffed carnival toys (voiced by Kevin and Peele) coming up with a plan to get the shop owner's keys, then again at the end when they thought they could help distract the kid running the game. 

"Dad's totally going to jail"  and "Ok, daddy's going to say some words now"  lol!

I was hoping for a bit more from Keanu's Duke, but he was still funny. 

Wow. For me, 3 is the best one, followed closely by 1.  Admittedly there are elements of 3 that are so fricken sad it takes a toll, and it's got less laughs overall, but it also resonates deeply with the inner child in me who misses things from his childhood, but understands why I put them aside.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Wow. For me, 3 is the best one, followed closely by 1.  Admittedly there are elements of 3 that are so fricken sad it takes a toll, and it's got less laughs overall, but it also resonates deeply with the inner child in me who misses things from his childhood, but understands why I put them aside. 

Oh, don't get me wrong--they are separated for me by razor thin margins.  It's an excellent series of movies.  Maybe I was told so many times, before I saw it, that I was going to love it and have tissues ready, that it didn't quite live up to what I expected based on all of that. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Saw this last night with my family and I really loved it. My husband's initial thought was Pixar is now showing off - the rain is really hard to do in prior digital rendering, plus there's now a lot of reflection of lights and mirrors that were not done in the prior 3 movies because it just takes a long time to do.

I was among those who were not sure about this movie as I thought TS3 wrapped up the story nicely. But I think I actually got sadder with this one seeing as Woody and Buzz are now separated. At least when Andy gave his toys to Bonnie, they were still together.

I'm glad Bo Peep got center stage this time, and the writers did a good job of making sure her being a lead character felt organic, and not forced just to have a 4th movie. I actually checked TS3 to make sure she wasn't there. And so her story didn't feel like a retcon. I also like that Woody chose Bo in the end, and therefore chose his own happiness this time. When Buzz said "She will be fine, Woody....Bonnie will be fine.....", my gosh I was a puddle of tears. 

I like that this movie also tackled the different kinds of toys that the first three didn't tackle much. The first three focused on new toys and discarded ones - this one focused on toys that kids make from scratch, and also toys that were defective right from the start, and so they hadn't had a chance to enjoy being with a child.

Does anyone know the period of time in which the TS universe operates? I highly doubt there will be a TS5, but I think an interesting storyline would be how would the toys deal with children now more engrossed in phones and tablets rather than actual toys. 

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, slowpoked said:

Does anyone know the period of time in which the TS universe operates? I highly doubt there will be a TS5, but I think an interesting storyline would be how would the toys deal with children now more engrossed in phones and tablets rather than actual toys. 

I’m assuming the first 3 are in approximate “real time” spanning Andy, a child growing up in the late 90s becoming an adult and going off to college. TS4 probably takes place less than a year or so after TS3. 

I could see at TS5, if the series keeps making money like this Pixar will make another. 

• Love 3

I don’t know if they will make another (they really didn’t need to make this one even though I enjoyed it) but I can’t help thinking the absolute best ending for Woody is to somehow end up back with Andy, as a toy for Andy’s child. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 10

I was one of the people who went into this movie with a lot of trepidation, as the Toy Story trilogy was about as perfect of a trilogy as you can make, with its characters and story and themes are rather effortlessly coming together organically and everything coming full circle in the third movie. Plus, I was one of the people that was a kid when the first Toy Story came out (I had the action figures and everything) and grew up with the movies, and was in college when the third movie came out, so it was a pretty big emotional catharsis when Andy, who was about my age, moved on from childhood and into the next stage of his life and left his toys with a new kid to make new memories with. So adding more onto that just seemed unnecessary for me, and I didnt want this to cheapen the rest of the story, which all fit so well together.

And while I still found this movie to be a bit unnecessary compared to the rest of the movies, it was still a really good, maybe even great, movie and I am glad that I saw it and that it continued to explore the many ideas of the franchise. It was certainly lighter than the third movie (although it had quite a few truly heartbreaking scenes, especially at the end) and I wish that they had given more of the OG toys, and even more of Bonnie's OG toys, screen time (although its understandable in some places as the actors have sadly passed) I really liked seeing Bo and her sheep again and I liked all of the new characters a lot as well. And Woodys ending, leaving to stay with Bo helping other toys find homes, seemed earned, even if I would have been happy with him staying with Bonnie as well. Man the group hug he had with the OG toys...and Buzz telling him that Bonnie will be alright...damn it who is cutting these onions...

The most hilarious bit for me was Bunny and Duckie and the Plush Rush. Oh my God I was actually tearing up I was laughing so hard! It just...kept...going...until the perfect payoff.

My favorite thing about this franchise is how well it uses a basic storytelling trick as to how to make a great fantasy/scifi/genre story and how it has just gotten more and more into it. In many cases, the key to writing a good genre story is asking "what would happen if..." and going from there, no matter how outlandish it might be. So the first movie asked "What if toys were alive and we didnt know" and the rest of the films have just gone deeper and deeper into that basic idea, exploring so many aspects of it. What happens to toys when kids grow up? What happens to toys that are defective or are never played with or get broken? Antique toys, cheap fair prizes, action figures, toys that are considered out fashioned or out of date, random objects that kids name and play with, they have deep dived so hard into that, its really super impressive. Its basically looked at the plot of the first movie and its concept, and continued to expand on it, which is what sequels are supposed to do. That movie continued that, especially with Forky, the piece of garbage that was given life by Bonnie playing with him (like Trixie, I have all the questions) and Gabby Gabby, our kind of villain but not exactly who is old fashioned and defective and just wanted to be loved. Being a toy is kind of an existential nightmare y'all. 

So while I still pretty much consider the first three movies to be an almost perfect trilogy that grew up right with me, this was a good addition to the story as well. 

• Love 12

I loved this but I need to see this again....and the two things that hit me hard were things that others haven't commented on..

1. I realized that right now, at the old age of 47, I still have my version of "Forky"...and still get it out every now and then.

2. Bonnie popping in to say "Hi toys...bye toys" as she didn't just treat them as objects but friends...Her scene where she made "Forky" got me cheering because when you're sort of a loner kid, you do what you have to do connect yourself to the world...and for that, I loved "Forky"...

For the rest, all I know, is I gotta see this one again..soon..

• Love 9

This movie added several twists to the whole 'toyhood' mythology.

Spoiler

One is that if Forky could come to life and be a toy via Bonnie making him herself and declaring him her plaything, then how had Gabby become a toy some 60 years earlier despite having had no child-owner claim her?  Do some toys come to life via being created by children and others simply via being manufactured? Also, will Bo Beep and Woody being 'rogue toys' live forever as long as they can keep fixing their broken parts or will they eventually wind up as trash?

Not that these twists took anything away but I found them interesting points to ponder! 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/21/2019 at 1:13 AM, Dee said:

I need Bunny & Duckie in EVERYTHING.

I would love a series of shorts with Duckie and Bunny. 

On 6/28/2019 at 7:36 PM, thuganomics85 said:

If the series continues though, I wonder if will follow Buzz and the original gang or keep with Woody, Bo, and the new toys? 

I think we could get both. I could see a series of short films following the toys in Bonnie's room. I could also see a series of short films following Woody and Bo. I think both ideas would work. 

• Love 3

We’ve all seen a lot of people saying this movie wasn’t necessary because TS3 wrapped up the story perfectly.  I had thought so too, until I saw TS4 and saw there was still unresolved characterization for Woody. 

TS3 just kicked the can down the road as far as Woody’s dedication to his kid. Bonnie would grow up eventually too, then Woody would be in the same panicked position as in the beginning of 3.  And until then, he was in a worse position because he wasn’t the “leader” of Bonnie’s room, and Bonnie had lost interest in him much earlier than the other toys. 

Woody’s clung so tightly to “his kid” throughout all three movies that it caused him excessive anxiety and paranoia. But when he was able to face his worst fear and find it not so bad, he was able to let go and experience life to its fullest. 

Some great thinking/talking points about fear, anxiety, and stepping outside your comfort zone.

• Love 7
(edited)

I would have loved if at the end if there was a fast forward till like 10 years down the road and a little boy or girl would have found Woody at a park or something and showed it to his dad and the dad would have said something like "That's Sheriff Woody I had this toy when I was little" and a small smile could have flashed in Woody's face like he knew it was Andy's son. 

Edited by ellenr33
  • Love 4

Just watched this a second time and I think I’m more accepting of woodys journey and end then I was the first time. 

I walked away the first time seeing this being really stuck on a toys “consciousness”...these are toys and I easily accepted a toys “purpose” and woodys dedication to it made since.

In “Toy Story 3” (which I consider to be a more satisfactory ending) I loved how woodys loyalties kind of sepersted from his “kid” to Buzz, Jessie, and the rest. Considering that development it’s not a stretch to get to the events of “Toy Story 4” but that uneasiness really throws me existentially cause like, what the hell are these things if they are developing a since of self outside of their purpose? Woody is putting himself first! It’s still mind boggling to me, lol. 

The only thing I wasn’t a fan of is how dumbed down buzz was. The same toy that didn’t have to press his buttons to go after woody in toy story 2 couldn’t make a decision on his own all of a sudden? His entire make up is “hero”. 

The OG toys And Jessie being more background was sad but I get why. The last scene between all of them and woody broke my heart. While saying goodbye to Andy was sad in 3, I liked how woody and the gang chose each other, and saying goodbye to that was hard. 

Especially considering woody and buzz. That last line between the two of them always brings me to tears. I like the movie a lot but I still stand by it wasn’t needed. 

• Love 3

Evel Knievel's Son Suing Disney Over 'Toy Story 4' Character (AP, via THR):

Evel Knievel's son is on a collision course with the Walt Disney Co. and Pixar over a movie daredevil character named Duke Caboom.

A federal trademark infringement lawsuit filed in Las Vegas accuses the movie company of improperly basing the new character in last year's Toy Story 4 on Knievel, whose famous stunts included motorcycle jumps over the Caesars Palace fountain in Las Vegas and a row of buses at Wembley Stadium in London, and a rocket shot into Snake River Canyon in Idaho.

Las Vegas-based K and K Promotions accuses Disney-owned Pixar of intentionally modeling the Caboom character, voiced by Keanau Reeves in the movie, after Knievel — although Knievel's name is never mentioned.

Here's the complaint (in PDF format), via CourtListener (docket page for the case).  Disney's official response to this lawsuit should be filed within a few weeks.

The complaint includes six causes of action, three of which are based on state law:

1. Right to Publicity, NRS 597.770, et seq.
  2. Trade Dress Infringement, 15 U.S.C. § 1125
  3. False Endorsement/False Description, 15 U.S.C. § 1125
  4. Trademark Dilution, 15 U.S.C. § 1125
  5. Nevada Common Law Trademark Infringement/Unfair Competition
  6. Nevada Common Law Unjust Enrichment

I haven't found any legal analysis (e.g., a Twitter thread by a law professor or entertainment attorney) on the merits of the complaint's claims, but they seems to be fairly to very weak.

Edited by Just Here
formatting

Pixar is rightfully praised for their thoughtful work, and TOY STORY 4 is a good movie.

But still, I wish I hadn't seen it. It wiped away the beautiful symmetry of TOY STORY 3 and (worse) gave us an ending in which Woody chooses "romance" with Bo Peep over his found family and lifelong friendships with Buzz and the gang.

I hated what a terrible toy owner Bonnie turned out to be. Yes, she's a little kid, and yes, she doesn't know the toys are alive, but the depiction of how quickly she was already on the edge of abandoning these new toys made me genuinely sad. And worst of all, it tarnishes the perfect bittersweetness of the ending of TOY STORY 3.

I also disliked the way our main characters were shoved aside here for new ones, I disliked the complete retcon of Bo as a character (both in her design, and in her abilities and personality), and hated the outcome, which basically reinforced the classic trope that romance is always preferable (and superior) to any other relationship. So we end up with a Woody who has repeatedly risked his life for his found family, who has assembled, expanded and protected that family... now abandoning those friends and family for his isolated romance with an unrecognizable Bo Peep in constantly changeful and dangerous circumstances.

I wasn't happy for Woody. I was furious. I hated the way Buzz was sidelined, and how that friendship -- far deeper than the romance we saw here -- was simply tossed aside. I just didn't get it. I know people love romances, but we're talking about toys. Bo Beep did not seem to love Woody at all -- she was strong and brave, yes, but she showed little feeling for him. And after all, they are TOYS. So I just didn't understand how Woody suddenly prioritized the romance above his friends and found family. I'll always hate it.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:17 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm not feeling that Bo Peep, she doesn't look anything like the Bo from Toy Story 1-2.  I'm not talking about the outfit, perfectly fine with changing that but, the face looks more Barbie than Bo.

I know she looks different, but she's officially the same character, just suddenly 100% retconned and redesigned, and suddenly elastic and not a fixed china doll at all. It drove me crazy.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:37 PM, spaulding said:

Same.  I think that the relationship between Buzz and Woody is the heart of Toy Story.  

Reveal spoiler

And for them to part is heartbreaking.  

Each Toy Story movie is amazing.  Each movie shows how bittersweet it is to be a child's toy.  Gabby Gabby lulls Woody by reminding him of his past life with Andy, and despite the eventual heartbreak, she wants to be a child's toy.

I absolutely agree on Buzz and Woody. Their friendship is the true heart of the TOY STORY movies for me, especially after all this time.

I did love Gabby, and especially Duke Caboom (seriously so much fun, and perfectly voiced by Keanu Reeves). 

On 6/24/2019 at 7:50 PM, choclatechip45 said:

I thought it was pretty good. Toy Story 3 was a far better ending though. 

Agreed. And I hated the way this utterly erased the sweetness of the TS3 ending and turned Bonnie into a shallow little jerk (in terms of toy loyalty).

On 6/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, Kromm said:

For me, 3 is the best one, followed closely by 1.  Admittedly there are elements of 3 that are so fricken sad it takes a toll, and it's got less laughs overall, but it also resonates deeply with the inner child in me who misses things from his childhood, but understands why I put them aside.

Toy Story 3 had moments of so much resonance and beauty and grim poetry that nothing will ever beat it for me. The incinerator scene alone and what it says about life and death and acceptance, just... oh, man. 

On 6/30/2019 at 6:43 PM, Conotocarious said:

I don’t know if they will make another (they really didn’t need to make this one even though I enjoyed it) but I can’t help thinking the absolute best ending for Woody is to somehow end up back with Andy, as a toy for Andy’s child. 

I think this is my main problem with 4. It felt almost like a spin-off. I've spent three movies and over a decade investing in the toy family, in Woody and Buzz and the gang, and in Andy and his family. I'm never going to care nearly as much about Bo Peep's world this fast. Especially since it was so strange and disconnected.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:09 PM, moonorchid said:

The OG toys And Jessie being more background was sad but I get why. The last scene between all of them and woody broke my heart. While saying goodbye to Andy was sad in 3, I liked how woody and the gang chose each other, and saying goodbye to that was hard. 

Especially considering woody and buzz. That last line between the two of them always brings me to tears. I like the movie a lot but I still stand by it wasn’t needed. 

The thing that most devastated me about TOY STORY 4 was the way it devalued Woody and Buzz's friendship and brotherhood, and sent Woody off with Bo, because of the implication that "romances are more important." Which drove me nuts.

It just feels to me like this is such a common trope, and it would have been so much more meaningful to me if Woody had been presented with a romance, and he's happy with the idea, but he doesn't want it enough to leave his family.

Edited by paramitch
Clarified a few comments
  • Love 4
On 1/22/2021 at 4:34 PM, paramitch said:

The thing that most devastated me about TOY STORY 4 was the way it devalued Woody and Buzz's friendship and brotherhood, and sent Woody off with Bo, because of the implication that "romances are more important." Which drove me nuts.

It just feels to me like this is such a common trope, and it would have been so much more meaningful to me if Woody had been presented with a romance, and he's happy with the idea, but he doesn't want it enough to leave his family.

And the annoying thing (for me anyway) is that it didn't have to be like this. Why couldn't Bo have gone with Woody and become part of Bonnie's toy set? They didn't go this direction because they knew that a Woody/Buzz parting was what was gonna get the tears flowing (that's Pixar's entire MO), though nothing was ever going to reach the emotional crescendo/cartharsis of the incinerator scene in TS3. It would have been okay for TS4 to just be a coda to the perfect trilogy, the one that finds Bo and brings her home. 

If she's so bent on her newfound freedom (which they didn't really drive home) what difference would it have made in the long run? Bonnie isn't going to be a kid forever: just wait out her childhood, sneak out when she turns twelve, and find the nearest carnival then. 

It's a fine movie in and of itself, but it just doesn't gel with the perfect full-circle quality of the original trilogy. 

50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I dunno.  If I were Woody, I'd rather be out and about, having adventures, than sitting in a dark, dusty closet all the time. 

I agree. Personally, I thought the ending was bittersweet but I loved it. I also thought it was a great lesson for kids that sometimes the right decision pulls you away from the familiar.