Type keyword(s) to search

Toy Story 4 (2019)

Kromm
  • Start Topic

Toy Story 4 is a love story between Woody and Bo Peep

I am not sure I'm happy with this.  Toy Story 3 was SUCH a perfect ending. Going back to the well, even for something they are hedging and calling a "stand-alone" seems like a money run, even if Lasseter says in the same article:

"At Pixar and at Disney, we only make sequels if we come up with a story that's as good or better than the original. That's our rule. We don't do things just to print money," Lasseter said.

Honestly I don't believe him.  Not saying this is going to automatically suck, but it just feels like an unwanted appendage, even if it's the best it possibly could be.

• Love 8

I'm unsure as well, Kromm. However, Toy Story may be my favourite film trilogy. Every movie has heart breaking and tear jerking moments. It's one of the best kids franchises ever. Pixar has a good track record, but not sure how they will do this. We haven't really seen Bo Peep for two movies.

I'll still watch it unless news indicates it's a total carwreck.

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm sure it won't suck.....but seriously, why go on after that ending?

I fully admit I was on the "why do another" train after Toy Story 1.  And to a degree as I'm sure we all remember, 2 WAS a tiny (not a big) letdown. Then 3 came along and it was SO fucking great.  In a way I like 3 even more than 1.  And that ending?  That goddamn perfect ending. Warm and humanizing but like all of the greats, also bittersweet. Never have I seen an ending before or since I think that needed a "don't fuck with this!" sign hung on it more.

So yeah. I've been on the "why do more" train and if we count the fact that 3 was so great, you could say I was proved wrong about saying it about 1. But this feels different. This feels more like a "Cars 2" (not that Cars 1's legacy was so worth protecting).

But agreed... even at it's worst it will be watchable. But a part of me screams inside at the idea of going past that ending (and I'm aware they've already had a Toy Story short that did... but come on... it was just a short).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I'm on the boat that the trilogy was perfect, and the little vignettes we have gotten have been great additions to the story.  

My ranking of the trilogy is TS2, TS3, TS.

The premise of this story intrigues me b/c I do want find out about what happened w/ Bo Peep.  I'm guessing she was moved into Molly's room and then eventually given away or did she perhaps break in an accident...she was porcelain, right? I do wonder if the Bo Peep in this story will be our Bo Peep...just like there were plenty of other Buzz Lightyears in TS2.  I would love if the gang ran across a duplicate Bo Peep lamp and this one, obviously, wouldn't have the memories of her time with the gang and now we have Woody trying to court a new Bo Peep while still recalling his past feelings/interactions w/ Bo Peep.  It would be kind of a letting go and moving on, and a starting over situation.  ( I don't think i've ever typed out Bo Peep so much in my life )

I would still want Annie Potts to voice Bo of course.

• Love 4

This might be the very rare instance where I want Pixar to quit while they're ahead. Isn't the Toy Story universe still going on anyway with the shorts and various specials? I'm sure it'll be decent, at least, but TS3 was a good place to stop.

[Incredibles 2 -- now, THAT is a sequel that needs to be made!]

• Love 2

I like the idea of more Toy Story shorts. I would love a series of short films that's Adventures in Bonnie's Room. I would be okay with a Bo Beep/Woody Romance that's a half hour, maybe an hour long TV special, but I don't see it as a good feature length story. 

• Love 4
On 11/2/2018 at 5:33 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Tom Hanks and Tim Allen are both saying that this will be more emotional than the last one. Dear God they're trying to kill us.

Woody and/or Buzz are going to die aren't they?

5 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I am so here for Key and Peele doing their "valets talking about movies" characters as stuffed animals.

I don't know what you're talking about but I would totally watch a web series of Bunny and Ducky talking about Disney movies. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Man I miss Key & Peele.

Are they going to be in the movie or just oart of the promo? Because I'm kind of already in love with Bunny and Ducky

They have their own character posters so it looks like they are in the movie. And I second the vote to give them their own shorts to comment on other Disney movies!

• Love 4

I'm not feeling that Bo Peep, she doesn't look anything like the Bo from Toy Story 1-2.  I'm not talking about the outfit, perfectly fine with changing that but, the face looks more Barbie than Bo.

Unless she's a new Bo Peep and not the one from the first and second movie?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love Ducky and Bunny.

LOVE Bo's new look (and I'm 90 percent sure she's the same one). I can't wait to find out what she's been up to since she left/got donated/whatever.

I think its the same Bo too. And I’m interested how they explain her change bc she was a porcelain doll wasn’t she? I know they’ll probably handwave it but it would be a nice callback if they at least joke about her change of appearance. 

• Love 2

I'm not sure what the point of this movie, which has already chosen "BO PEEP IS BACK" as one of their taglines, would be if this was not the same Bo Peep. (So to answer the question, I'm 99.9% sure it's the same one we last saw in 1999. Damn, I can't believe it's been that long).

I'm emotional and this movie isn't even out yet!

Boy, Bo has changed a lot.  I mean, she was always the logical yet still somewhat spunky voice of reason in the first two movies, and that's still there, but wow. 

Woody's "Bo?" broke my heart in half.  Is it wrong that I'm hoping the end has her join Bonnie and the gang?  Woody should be happy too, dammit!

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm emotional and this movie isn't even out yet!

I think it was the Honest Trailer for Finding Dory that pointed out that even Pixar's B material can hit you square in the chest.

• Love 4

Just the trailer is making me tear up. Bo looks awesome, but mostly I feel like I am going to spend this whole movie pretending I was recently chopping onions. In a theater. 

The only thing that worries me is that the trilogy is almost perfect, and tells such a complete story, that adding more could end with them treading water and covering stuff that we`ve already been through in the series. But I love the idea of a toy being made out of a fork by a kid and having a existential breakdown over being alive, so thats certainly a fresh take!

• Love 5

I'm Pixar's bitch, so it doesn't really matter what the movie's about -- I'm going to be there opening weekend.  As it happens, though, I'm really looking forward to this one (unlike, say, The Good Dinosaur, o Cars 2, which I saw opening weekend, but wasn't happy about it).

• Love 4

I'll probably see this, but that trailer didn't really excite me. 

The third one felt like a perfect book end to the series. I don't think I need another one especially if it's a similar story. 

• Love 6

I'm probably contributing my indifference to the trailer to the fact that I feel Toy Story 3 was one of the best conclusion to a movie series ever. I would probably be more excited if this was some sort of midquel explaining how Bo Peep left the gang. That way I could watch the series and still end with Toy Story 3. The most exciting part of the movie was the appearance of Mr Potato Head. I'm glad he hasn't disappeared, I don't even care if it's a silent cameo, it still makes me happy.

• Love 5

I go into Pixar movies expecting it to be cute, funny and entertaining. Sometimes they far exceed my expectations but I’ve never been disappointed. The plot looks like a rehash and it really isn’t needed but the trailer made me smile and laugh so I’m in. 

On 3/20/2019 at 3:52 PM, Dani said:

I go into Pixar movies expecting it to be cute, funny and entertaining. Sometimes they far exceed my expectations but I’ve never been disappointed. 

Not even with the Cars films? 

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Kromm said:

Eh - I haven't seen the third one, but the Cars franchise gets an unfair amount of hate, IMHO. My only 'disappointment' with Cars 2 was that is was less of a sequel to the first, and more of "we have this idea for a film and we'll stick these characters we already have in it".

• Love 1
On 3/29/2019 at 6:59 PM, Kromm said:

Not even then. I go into Pixar movies expecting nothing more than a cute kids movie. I find the worst Pixar movie to be far superior to most of the kids shows and movies I have had to sit through. 

I just got back from seeing this, and I already want to see it again.  Bring tissues, and stay until the very end of the credits.

I felt like it had elements of the past three, but still was a fresh take on the lives of toys.  One thing, though,

when Forky was talking about trash, Woody could have added quite a bit about his experience as trash, but that wasn’t mentioned at all.

I absolutely loved it.

• Love 3