Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Enemy Khlyen

• Start Topic

That was kind of fun-- though the awkward Dutch/D'avin luuuurve really isn't necessary. In fact, D'avin isn't necessary 'cause Dutch and John work just fine without him. Plus, after hearing the story of how John and Dutch first met, I demand a flashback episode! Heh, if Lucy was wearing that wedding dress, she and John would totally be married by now. Seriously though, I bought the whole John/Dutch platonic relationship until I heard John tell that story. Now, I'm not so sure. And damn you D'avin for ruining their moment! I pick on D'avin a lot, but when the three of them work as a team (like in inflitrating the RAC) they're quite entertaining.

To sum up the show mythology advancement, Dutch is the last member of some fallen royal/noble family and Khlyen needs her to... save himself? (And it has something to do with his super secret level 6 mission?) Anyway, I've always thought Khlyen made a great Evil Mentor. He may be eeeevil, but he seems to genuinely care for Dutch. It's the best kind of messed-up (surrogate) father/daughter dynamic.

Sad that there was no Fancy sighting at RAC HQ.

• Love 7

Credit to everyone who predicted that Khlyen was a Level 6 guy this entire time: at least that's what he is claiming.  There is truth to those myths!  And, according to a flashback, it seems like he trained and protected Dutch because of her father, who is apparently was hated and disgraced for some reason.  Now, I really want to know what his deal was and how Khlyen is involved.  He does really seem to care about Dutch in his own twisted way.

The team breaking into the RAC headquarters was pretty fun. I do like it when the three of them are just working together, and bring their own strengths to the tasks.  I was hoping Fancy would make an appearance, because that would have been a fun obstacle for them to overcome.  But I guess their long-haired boss whose name I don't remember, worked also.

The Dutch/John scenes continue to be my favorite.  I really like how the actors play off one another.

Still not sure what to make of their priest friend and what this whole thing is going to play into, in the long-run.

Can't believe it's already the finale next week.  I wonder what it's chances are at coming back.  You can never tell with SyFy. 

• Love 3

That was kind of fun-- though the awkward Dutch/D'avin luuuurve really isn't necessary. In fact, D'avin isn't necessary 'cause Dutch and John work just fine without him.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't crazy about D'avin to begin with, but pairing him up with Dutch worked my last nerve. It's the one part of the show I really dislike.

• Love 4

Good episode, but I'm curious what is going on with the RAC and how it's connected to The Company rounding up the monks and stockpiling weapons on Westerley.

Khlyen posed a good question to Dutch -- "Do you know what the RAC really is ?".  I'm curious as to what the hidden agenda of the RAC is.

Can't believe it's already the finale next week.  I wonder what it's chances are at coming back.  You can never tell with SyFy.

I hope they renew -- because this show gets better each week.

Seriously though, I bought the whole John/Dutch platonic relationship until I heard John tell that story. Now, I'm not so sure.

Didn't Johnny say that he broke into Lucy and found Dutch in a blood-covered wedding dress, before she kicked the crap out of him and put a gun to his gonads ?

• Love 3

John didn't say anything about her kicking the crap out of him. Just that he walked through the door and found a half feral beauty in a blood covered wedding dress who pointed a gun at his crotch.

Anybody else catch the 'Battlestar Galactica' reference?

• Love 2

"My crotch remembers." So we've seen, so we've seen. 

RAC HQ...a range where not even the buffalo roam. The dialogue can talk about how risky a project this is but what we see is people marching through an empty building. 

Dutch's belated recognition that she hadn't actually changed profession was very demeaning to her character I thought. You have a brain, you have a clue. 

But on the up side, this is the kind of smarts that nicely explain her plan for getting K to talk. 

The finale is coming up next week and this show still hasn't found a way to actually be anything that really matters to the characters. Johnny loves Dutch but she suffers too much and she has a special destiny but he's too cool to push. D'Avin loves Dutch but she suffers too much and has a special destiny but he's too cool to quit pushing. Dutch has a special destiny which means she doesn't have to choose between good girl love for nice (but cool) Johnny and bad girl love for hot but macho D'Avin, and all she has to do is beat K. Since she's so cool her victory is inevitable. I suppose at some point they plan to inform us how she's vital to saving the Quad, or maybe humanity, but since she's so cool her victory there is inevitable too. As she said, "I'm always awesome!" 

John didn't say anything about her kicking the crap out of him. Just that he walked through the door and found a half feral beauty in a blood covered wedding dress who pointed a gun at his crotch.

Anybody else catch the 'Battlestar Galactica' reference?

My bad -- I guess in my head I just imagined Dutch kicking the crap out of the intruder on HER ship before shoving a gun into Johnny's crotch.

It was close to BSG -- "So say you all" versus "So say we all".

• Love 1

There's a bitter irony in this.  Khlyen knew she was ready when she accepted a level five (kill) warrant.  But that was the warrant on D'av, and Johnny is the one who accepted it.  IIRC.  

Unless perhaps Khlyen dangled that kill warrant to bait Johnny and get things going...  A level six just might do that sort of entrapment.

• Love 7

Damn - this show gets so intricate I have to watch episodes twice to catch every nuance. Level 6 is not a myth - not a big surprise. Khylen being level 6 did surprise me. But if he's level 6 what's up with all the 71s? Once again we get mention of a big threat coming to the Quad. The RAC starts to look pretty shady all of a sudden. And the revolution on Westerley seems about to start. (Loved D'avin calling Alvis a 'creepy dude'.)

The scene between Dutch and John was really impressive - the actors totally selling you how deep their connection is. Would it have turned into a kiss without D'avin showing up? Not sure but pretty sure that that would have been the most awful timing for romance ever.

They really put all the pieces in place for a great finale (which probably ends with a pretty intense cliffhanger made even more intense until we know the show gets a second season).

ETA: Props to the wardrobe department. Dutch's undies looked cool and functional.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

The character's name is KhYLen. I don't know how one gets /klaɪn/ from that. Were the writers aiming for 'future language is weird'?  ... like Favre.

Edited by DEM

I'm still curious what the deal is with Red 17 -- a callback to Episode 5 "A Glitch in the System" -- mentioned when Turin was interrogating D'Avin.  What is it ?

Damn - how could I miss that! Just the other day I wondered if they had really dropped whatever the guy on the torture ship was after!

I wish they'd stop trying to force Dutch/D'Avin.

This. There's enough emotional resonance in the Dutch/Johnny scenes, even just as friends, that trying to insert more pathos with a romance angle is unnecesary. Also, the contrast between the Dutch/Johnny scenes and the Dutch/D'avin ones just highlight for me how forced and devoid of chemistry that pairing is. When Dutch said something like how many breakups do they have to go through, my face looked like D'avin's in his scene with Pawter. They slept together once. I think this is an example of a problem with the show only having ten episodes. It's like they really want to have this be a tragic romance, but they didn't have time to develop it properly so they telegraphed the hell out of it, forced it as much as they could, and now are treating it as if it was portrayed as a relationship, but we actually skipped over any actual relationship part. It just doesn't work for me. 

I wish the redheaded RAC guy wasn't written as being so sadistic. I do like how the show has cast him as a villain, but the core of his suspicions are correct. However, I think it would have worked a bit better for me if a bit more gray or if he was just a regular a-hole instead of a sadistic a-hole. I will admit though, that I did laugh at his shock stick line (which I can't remember for the life of me).

I loved all the stuff with Khylen and finding out he's not only with the RAC, but a level 6. 

• Love 4

Dutch/Not Johnny is the forced and unnatural and unbelievable thing. Dutch/D'Avin covers this up, plus it has the benefit of providing pseudo-conflict between Johnny and D'Avin. And while it conveniently check Dutch/Johnny, brotherhood provides a check on Dutch/D'Avin. I imagine they thought they were being genius when they came up with this. Unfortunately, the sibling rivalry either ends in permanent rupture or one wins. Quite aside from Dutch being more or less out of any human being's league, we can't believe Dutch/Johnny because Dutch has already rejected Johnny. Unless? Dutch=Scarlett, Johnny=Ashley and D'Avin=Rhett? And they aren't going to ditch an Ashmore, so D'Avin can't really pursue his goal, namely Dutch, without undoing the brotherhood thing. Which is why it's a pseudo-conflict. It's an angsty situation, which I guess is good for scenes, but it's not a premise for an actual plot where characters do things to reach their goals. 

Nonetheless, it's pretty obvious that lots of Killjoys fans don't like D'Avin. Hollywood execs I gather pride themselves on their realism about their audience, so i think they will attribute this to widely held suspicions of Luke MacFarlane being gay. So fans may get what they want with D'Avin's noble death. After all, the guilt...D'Avin's ghost...can serve just as well as an excuse for Dutch/Not Johnny.

There's enough emotional resonance in the Dutch/Johnny scenes, even just as friends, that trying to insert more pathos with a romance angle is unnecesary. [...] I think this is an example of a problem with the show only having ten episodes. It's like they really want to have this be a tragic romance, but they didn't have time to develop it properly so they telegraphed the hell out of it, forced it as much as they could, and now are treating it as if it was portrayed as a relationship, but we actually skipped over any actual relationship part. It just doesn't work for me.

Yeah, see here's the thing I don't understand: Why did it need to be there at all? So they had to rush it because they only had 10 episodes, but that pre-supposes that the romance had to be there or the season wouldn't work. That's an aspect of teevee writing in general that I can't comprehend: Writers/Execs seem to assume that if at least one pair of the leads isn't hooking up (or firmly on the path to do), then large swathes of the audience will give up in disgust.

I am intrigued by the Red 17 mystery.

• Love 3

The character's name is KhYLen. I don't know how one gets /klaɪn/ from that. Were the writers aiming for 'future language is weird'?

According to IMDB It's spelled Khlyen -- you have the Y and the L transposed.  Honestly I think most of us (myself included) have been spelling it wrong til now.  LOL.   So at least now the pronunciation now makes sense.

According to IMDB It's spelled Khlyen -- you have the Y and the L transposed.  Honestly I think most of us (myself included) have been spelling it wrong til now.  LOL.   So at least now the pronunciation now makes sense.

http://www.syfy.com/killjoys/episodes/season/1/episode/9/enemy-khylen

The problem, it seems, is SyFy.  They started out with KhYlen (in their earliest materials), but since then they've been inconsistent.  As you can see above, the official episode title is -YL-, but within the text of the synopsis it's spelt BOTH -YL- and -LY-.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 1

to widely held suspicions of Luke MacFarlane being gay.

I don't think there is any "suspicion" about it. Luke MacFarlane is openly gay and has been out for some time, going back to his days in "Brothers & Sisters". It's a pretty well known fact and definitely something TPTB would've known before hiring him. I appreciate them hiring him to play a straight character, too many execs would've have. So I don't think they'd kill him off or get rid of his character for something they knew going in.

I like D'Avin. I like LM in the role. I think he does good. I really enjoy the brothers relationship. I just don't like having a pairing shoved on me from the start. I'd rather things unfold naturally and see what clicks with fans and what doesn't. Dutch/D'Avin doesn't really work for me. But I'm not shipping Dutch/Johnny either. I wish they would've just let them be a platonic team and let love interests come from outside their trio, at least for the first season or two.

Anyhow, I don't think Khlyen was sent by Dutch's father -- I think he is Dutch's father. That scene where she asked if her father really sent him, I couldn't have been the only one expecting him to go all Darth Vader in that moment, "I am your father".

• Love 9

Dayum...the show keeps getting better and better....and keeps sucking me in even more. Doggone it, the show better renewed!!!

(On another note, wish me luck...I gotta wade through the last 3 eps of Dark Matter......and hope I don't get bored to tears).

C'mon Syfy......please renew Killjoys!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Pretty pretty please?? I can't believe there's only one more ep....

• Love 1
Anyhow, I don't think Khlyen was sent by Dutch's father -- I think he is Dutch's father. That scene where she asked if her father really sent him, I couldn't have been the only one expecting him to go all Darth Vader in that moment, "I am your father".[\quote]

You weren't the only one. I was definitely expecting him to announce he was her father. Also I enjoy the Davin-Dutch scenes a lot, however I wished they would have paired them later when they knew eacother better.

Since everyone keeps bringing up Dark Matter on a forum about Killjoys, I'll say that if it comes down to renewing only one, I hope DM is renewed.

Edited by gaby4ever25

I thought this was one of the stronger episodes, but I always think that the episodes focused on Dutch's mysterious background are the better ones.

I don't think that Khlyen (sp?) is Dutch's father, if only because I don't think that he is fully human after she stabbed multiple times and he was not injured. Also, how could he get in and out of the harem to train Dutch and not be recognized? Eh, I am probably overthinking this. I do think that Dutch's father likely owns the RAC. It is their family business.

I don't think that Dutch has chemistry with D'avin or Johnny. I know that Luke McFarlane is gay and thought he was going to play a gay or bisexual character on the show. I am disappointed that he is not actually.

• Love 1

Since everyone keeps bringing up Dark Matter on a forum about Killjoys, I'll say that if it comes down to renewing only one, I hope DM is renewed.

I don't.

Fullstop.

- - -

As for Khylen pronunciation - perhaps the "y" is silent? ;)

I didn't get the impression he's Dutch's father, but rather that the real father would order her dead, but Khylen and other faction wanted her alive. I hope we'll see more of it. Or perhaps he was in love with her mother, that always works.

Count me in the club of those who liked the small scene between Dutch and Johnny in the car-thing, with a trip down the memory lane. This was the show's essence in one scene - how geat the two were together alone - and then the brother came. (But don't get me wrong, it's not that I despise D'avin. I like him in small doses and when he's not interrupting important scenes.)

Some other nice things from the episode:

Johnny: "But i don't want to be a KillJoy without you!"

Dutch vs Khylen

The way the trio flinched when the EMP grenade went off... silently.

Titanium stiches.

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 2

we can't believe Dutch/Johnny because Dutch has already rejected Johnny. Unless? Dutch=Scarlett, Johnny=Ashley and D'Avin=Rhett?

I have to take objection with this because as a life-long GWTW fan, Scarlett never rejected Ashley, begged him to run away with her at least once long after throwing herself at him and only gave up on him and realized she loved Rhett when Melanie died and she realized Ashley only wanted her for sex.  So, yeah, Scarlett end up wanting Rhett in the end, but she spent decades pining for Ashley, which really doesn't support your example.

Personally, I think Dutch and Johnny have a ton of chemistry and I adore their scenes together and I like them as just friends/family.  I like Davin and think LM does a good job with the role.  I just don't understand why anybody has to be paired off romantically as a requirement of a story that isn't a romance rather than letting that relationship develop naturally on its own.  I could be all over Dutch/Davin if they didn't just throw the two pretty people together and expect that to be enough for a relationship and that's all I see between them at the moment.

Could there be more between them down the road?  I could see that happening and would maybe even like to, but as of right now anything of a romantic nature between Dutch and Davin feels forced to me.  I was initially glad they got the hook-up out of the way and then completely nuked the possibility of going forward with it until it seemed they were going for more than just broken teammates this episode with the giving Davin back his stuff scene.  I mean, why couldn't Johnny have done it?  He's better at suppressing any trust issues he has with Davin.  He's been doing it for years.

I understand they don't know how long they have to tell their story, but I think taking their time and letting it build regardless would result in a stronger story with stronger characters and relationships.  That's really all I want.

• Love 2

I admire the show for trying to be different when it comes to all the dynamics between the lead characters. That's why all the angsting about love-triangles and what-not doesn't bother me. Dutch/John is incredibly well written and even if some folks might shake their heads at John never making a move (s. Pree's little speech three episodes ago) the writers gave us a sound reasoning why those two stayed platonic.

Dutch and D'avin have a less intense bond - and the show has been going out of its way to make that point. Sexual attraction got the better of them both and they're still paying for it. I did not see this episode's scenes between them as an attempt to return to romance (which they never had anyway), they were incredibly awkward to watch. Both of them desperate to reclaim some normalcy that just isn't there yet.

Viewers do expect romance - but I don't think 'Killjoys' has truly delivered until this episode's scene where John remembers first meeting Dutch (and Lucy). I'm sure there will be more of that further down the road along with plenty of complications (though I doubt those have much to do with D'avin, that card has been very sucessfully played already) - provided we get to season 2.

• Love 3

Yes, you're right about possible GWTW parallels, they don't really work. 

Dutch and Johnny as platonic friends doesn't work because Johnny is in love with Dutch, has been apparently since his crotch first remembered her, a relationship so intense he doesn't have room for any other relationships. (No, the bartender doesn't count.) He says he's not interested in a sexual relationship because it will inevitably fail. Dutch has some sort of loyalty to Johnny but no other romantic relationships. The simple interpretation that she just isn't into him sexually but likes him like everybody likes him, fails because she doesn't encourage him to look elsewhere but instead relies on him for every emotional need but romance. Again, the time they invest in each other don't just prevent romantic relationships. they prevent any other relationships. 

Yes, you're right about possible GWTW parallels, they don't really work. 

Dutch and Johnny as platonic friends doesn't work because Johnny is in love with Dutch, has been apparently since his crotch first remembered her, a relationship so intense he doesn't have room for any other relationships. (No, the bartender doesn't count.) He says he's not interested in a sexual relationship because it will inevitably fail. Dutch has some sort of loyalty to Johnny but no other romantic relationships. The simple interpretation that she just isn't into him sexually but likes him like everybody likes him, fails because she doesn't encourage him to look elsewhere but instead relies on him for every emotional need but romance. Again, the time they invest in each other don't just prevent romantic relationships. they prevent any other relationships. 

Eh I think if there really was attraction between these two someone would have acted on it  by now. I think its more a case where they love each other so much and they re so important they think they should be together as more than friends. I think it would be forced if they tried and it might cost them something precious. Like Mal and Zoe from Firefly I think the fact that Dutch is the superior and Johny the subordinate affects things as well. I think since Dutch has always been the teacher its hard for her to see Jon as an equal.  Frankly I don't see someone with Dutch's daddy issues ending up with someone who sits easily under her thumb the way Johnny does. I think Dutch actually prefers romantically D'avin because he stands up to her and challenges her, she just doesn't know how to say it without hurting Johnny's feelings.

I actually like Johnny and the doc. She actually seems to appreciate Johnny kindness while Dutch seems to see it as  a weakness. Besides shes a hot mess and Johnny likes to fix things. While it might not be an easy relationship it has potential to be an entertaining one. 

• Love 3

I liked them going to the Mothership, so to speak.

Yeah, how ironic that is was Johnny who set off this series of event with Khlyen reappearing  by taking D'Avin's level 5 warrant in Dutch's name.

Also D'Avin's been a Killjoy for like a nanosecond and he's so sure level six is a myth.  Sure dude.

The whole divorce proceeding thing actually felt like a divorce.  I felt more sad during that then I did with last week's whole 'we're broken' episode.

The RAC guy who 'questioned' D'Avin really does have a great head of hair.  So long dude who thought he could hurt Dutch. We hardly knew ye. But seriously if you were smart of enough to realize she's special then you had yo be smart enough to realize shooting her was not a wise move.  I loved the last shot Khlyen dragging him away.

Speaking of hair, Khlyen's assistant was serving up some District One Realness with her purple hair.

Speaking of more hair, I must say Khlyen is really attractive in a silver fox kinda way.  He's also rather bad ass.  I hope he sticks around and doesn't buy it in the finale.  Unless of course he is shown to be unrepentantly  evil, but his words to Dutch about needing her team don't actually seem to make that a possibility.

Yeah, Dutch's back story really has been interesting.  I am liking how we are getting it in dribs and drabs.  No data dumping.  Did anyone recognize her family name?  I might need to go back and watch the Qresh episode to see if it is mentioned anywhere.

I am not into immediately shipping pairs.  I like to watch and let the chemistry settle in.  So far though I am still not seeing it with Johnny & Dutch.  And only marginally moreso with Dutch & D'Avin.  If they had to give anyone of them a love interest at this point I would have hoped it would have been outside the team.  Honestly I liked Johnny with Pawter.  I think they clicked more than D'Avin & Pawter did. 

Maybe if the show is picked up they'll have a bit more budget to work with.  Altho I must say they are making the most of what I suspect is a tiny budget relatively.  

Here's hoping the show does get picked up.  All the prophetic rumblings about what is coming sounds like they have a long term plan and I am very curious about what it is.

• Love 3

Yeah, Dutch's back story really has been interesting.  I am liking how we are getting it in dribs and drabs.  No data dumping.  Did anyone recognize her family name?  I might need to go back and watch the Qresh episode to see if it is mentioned anywhere.

In that flashback, Khlyen tells Dutch "You are Yalena of the family Yardeen", Dutch responds back that "the other kids say that's a shameful name".  

Looking back at what Dell Seyah Kendry tells Dutch in episode 4 'The Vessel' --  "If the Lahani line were to die out, their lands and company seat could be annexed by any of the other Nine. The last time such a thing happened the resulting war of the Nines shook the entire Quad."

That would mean that there was originally 10 families that controlled The Company ? Is it possible the Yardeen family was that 10th Company family that supposedly died out and caused the war of the Nines, and that Yalena is a distant relative of the lineage that controlled that Company seat ?  No idea where that puts Khlyen in all of this ?  Obviously someone put him up to train Yalena, but who ?

ETA:  In Episode 7 when Dutch ends up jail on Westerley and Dell Seyah Kendry bails her out, Dell calls Dutch 'Yalena' and Dutch wants to know how Dell knows that name.  So Dutch's real name is definitely not public knowledge -- or on her official records.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

I don't think Dutch belongs to the Nine (or a disappeared 10th line). Dell Seyah Kendry mentioned the instrument in Dutch's quarters as reserved for female royalty in other parts of the J. And in this episode we learn that upper level RAC officers work interstellar offering the RAC's services around the J. My bet is that Dutch is tied to whatever is going on outside the Quad where that mysterious threat we keep hearing about is coming from.

• Love 4

I didn't really get Khlyen as Dutch's dad from this ep - as much (creepy) care as he showed her in this ep and much as he seems to appreciate things about her, there's still something very purposeful about it all. She's an object, albeit an important one, quite possibly the queen, in his (creepy) endgame. He tolerates certain things about her, including her team, but would he if he didn't need her? Would he send birthday cards (or cut off the hands of her enemies or whatever Khlyen considers a nice gesture) if she didn't have whatever importance Khlyen percieves for her? I don't get that vibe.

Very curious to know what his game is though. It may be way bigger than all the local Quad political squabbling we've seen so far.

Honestly I'm happy to believe that Khlyen likes Dutch in his weird way, and Johnny likes Dutch, and it's not because of having spawned her or wanting to sleep with her. She's just awesome. D'avin, the show has established, thinks with his reproductive organs sometimes.

The Red 17 callback was interesting, but I sort of think it might still not be anything? Or might be something, but not anything relevant. The show implied that the RAC guy was just throwing out rumours to get D'avin to crack, and maybe the details of their past missions are all in a file somewhere. The anti-Chekov's gun.

• Love 2

I seem to recall from episode one that the implication was that Dutch, Johnny, and Lucy (and later D'avin) all come from outside the Quad.  With this last episode there is the additional implication that Dutch and Johnny ran away in part because Yalena had just murdered/assassinated her husband...

And, oh yes, Rob Stewart has always been hot.  Nearly 25 years ago he was in a series called Tropical Heat (Sweating Bullets on CBS's Prime Time after Crime Time), with shoulder length brown hair (NOT a mullet) and those same piercing eyes.  He's aged beautifully.

• Love 3

Another awesome(aka Dutch) episode.  I love the fact that Johnny and Dutch ran away together when they met.  Their relationship is the most important one on the show for me and this week they had some great scenes. I loved when he told Dutch he only wants to killjoy with her. I think it's clear that Johnny could be a higher level killjoy if he wanted to but he's not because it's not necessary. He's high enough so that he can effectively work with Dutch and that's good enough for him. 

I liked Davin's beginning scene, it made me laugh. Davin's fine, I don't mind him, but sometimes I feel that he reacts a little too over the top to be as brand new as he is. His Rath of Khan scream when Dutch stayed behind so she could free Lucy was a little much. Also some of the snark he has towards some of the characters would be appropriate for someone who's known them for years like Dutch or Johnny but not for the short amount of time he's known them.

I love the world building and cohesiveness of this show. Everything ties together so well. Can't believe the season finale is next week,

Edited by miracole
  • Love 5

There's a bitter irony in this.  Khlyen knew she was ready when she accepted a level five (kill) warrant.  But that was the warrant on D'av, and Johnny is the one who accepted it.  IIRC.  

Unless perhaps Khlyen dangled that kill warrant to bait Johnny and get things going...  A level six just might do that sort of entrapment.

I don't think so. I think Khlyen was waiting for Dutch to be emotionally ready to kill for money. The Johnny and D'Avin show sort of messed up his test, so Dutch wasn't really ready for what he needs her for, like he thought she would be.

If he wanted to proceed regardless, he could have just shown up. He didn't need to fake out his own test. And D'Avin's Level 5 warrant was legit, as warrants go. There were really people who wanted him dead.

The puddle computer was interesting also. I'm wondering if the rac was formed by or taken over by, an as yet unknown alien race with a plan to take over everything.

The computer reminded me a bit of the Pensieve from Harry Potter.

Anybody else think that handcuffs that open when you spill water on them are kind of silly?

• Love 2

I don't think it's a given that Johnny is secretly (or not so secretly) in love with Dutch. Obviously the writers can throw that in if they choose but I prefer them not to. I like Johnny and Dutch as two people who love each other deeply, that are 100% devoted to each other, but it not be romantic love. I find that way more interesting than just being "Oh, yeah, they're in love". It makes it more complex and will obviously affect any romantic relationships they may have along the way. Kinda hearkening back to the "Dawson's Creek" idea that your "soulmate"is the person who just gets you like no other. And that can be your best friend and you don't have to be "in love" with them. I'd like to see them test Johnny and Pawter, but only if she gets clean. Don't want him with a drug addict. That won't end well.

• Love 7

I find the Johnny/Dutch non sexual relationship totally reasonable. After all, they are both people with traumatic pasts of being abandoned who are in highly dangerous and stressful situations. Splitting the sexual from the close bonding keeps both sides safe and protected from the possibility of another loss or the posibility of overurdening the relationship.

I'm curious about the bear and wasp business. Obviously K thinks he needs Dutch ready to kill so that they can keep each other alive in terms of what is coming. I suspect that the RAC is actually some sort of cover for something else. An organization that everyone trusts. But i can't figure out if the danger is the RAC or something else.

• Love 7

I seem to recall from episode one that the implication was that Dutch, Johnny, and Lucy (and later D'avin) all come from outside the Quad.

Correct. Many episodes have established that John and D'avin are not from the Quad. In this episode D'avin flat out says he is not from Westerly. Dutch has been implied to be from "The J", but not from the Quad. It is unclear how big "The J" is and if there are other human settled star clusters.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 2

I find the Johnny/Dutch non sexual relationship totally reasonable.

I totally agree. I have never gotten a sexual tension vibe from Johnny and Dutch, although I do think they have great chemistry. I can buy them both connecting very strongly with each other, in a close friendship kind of way. 

Cannot wait for the season finale! 

• Love 3

Well, if Johnny/Dutch as a mutually non-sexual relationship is so believable, then what really is the problem with D'Avin/Dutch as a sexual relationship? It's not just the fans...Johnny's got one too. If it's not because he's in love with Dutch, what does bother him, really? He said he didn't want to choose between them, but as we saw, he hadn't the slightest problem choosing. He even ignored how D'Avin was compelled by the gadgetry, to blame him personally. That's malicious nonsense, so if the real problem isn't D'Avin having sex with Dutch, what is it?

Dutch having no sexual interest in Johnny has become completely believable as time goes on. She's out of his league. 

Dutch having no sexual interest in Johnny has become completely believable as time goes on. She's out of his league. 

Wow. All the standard disclaimers about mileage varying and your being entitled to your opinion and all that stuff, but I had to dig really deep to find a statement I disagree with more strenuously than I do this one. He's every bit as beautiful as she is, and he's also every bit as awesome as she is. Perhaps with just a little less swagger, but I'm not even sure that's true. His is just a little less overt/brash, and that's only sometimes. I would assert that Johnny is the only person on this show that actually is in Dutch's league. And I've got a hunch that her perceived "disinterest" might be because deep down, Dutch herself might feel like she's not in Johnny's league. Girl got baggage.

(Just for the record, this is coming from someone who never ever has a single fuck to give about who's fucking whom in any tee vee show ever, hasn't the slightest interest in "ships" and who thinks Johnny and Dutch's relationship is a beautiful thing exactly as it's been written so far. But since this seems to be such a popular subtopic...)

• Love 8

Oh yeah, Johnny's very attractive and totally awesome. Almost everyone in the main and supporting cast is pretty aesthetically pleasing, which reminds me, I wish Fancy was at the RAC when our team showed up.

• Love 2

Well, if Johnny/Dutch as a mutually non-sexual relationship is so believable, then what really is the problem with D'Avin/Dutch as a sexual relationship? I

My dislike is because I think it's forced. They jumped right into them as "the pairing" of the show immediately. I'd rather see things unfold slowly, see what clicks and what doesn't. To me, they don't have that great a chemistry and I don't buy "insta-love" storylines. I also don't care for the cliched notion that, if there's 3 main characters, then 2 of them have to be sleeping with each other.

• Love 2

I see where you are coming from - the first episode was a bit awkward on the Dutch / D'avin front, but overall, I do not see this as the show trying to force a romance, but rather they are showing us a romantic *mismatch*. Deliberately.

D'avin starts out trying to charm her, but that's because.. well, that him trying to get to know his brothers boss using his.. less than versatile set of social tools, and it doesn't really work, then when they finally do the deed, the whole thing read very much as "We're both pretty and have healthy libidos!" And then the sex train got side swiped by a freight train from mind control central, which gave the whole thing far more gravitas than it really deserved. But OTP? Nope. That's not even the story they are trying to tell.

• Love 4

Well, if Johnny/Dutch as a mutually non-sexual relationship is so believable, then what really is the problem with D'Avin/Dutch as a sexual relationship? It's not just the fans...Johnny's got one too. If it's not because he's in love with Dutch, what does bother him, really? He said he didn't want to choose between them, but as we saw, he hadn't the slightest problem choosing. He even ignored how D'Avin was compelled by the gadgetry, to blame him personally. That's malicious nonsense, so if the real problem isn't D'Avin having sex with Dutch, what is it?

Well for starters, he knows that D'avin walked out on his family and left him with his addicted mother. Why, if you care in any way about someone AND you know that they have suffered abuse and abandonment before would you think that might be a good person for them. And second, maybe Johnny has watched enough television to know that it is not a good idea to add that to a team.

I personally don't find it that strange that Dutch and D'avin might hook up. I do find the implication that they would care for each other so quickly a bit forced.

• Love 1