Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN (Vaulted)

Wilmore got his big chance and really blew it.  A few minutes in, my son got up and left the room saying, "I told you everything on his show is 'black this' and 'black that'." I'm still missing TCR and haven't given Wilmore a chance, but I wasn't impressed. And thought--just in the bit I watched--there were too many race jokes. At least eight in the first few minutes. A couple of them were slightly funny, but when you feel that's all he's got, they ALL stop working. I read some more of his material this morning and he apparently had a lot more--most of them that sounded more "cutting" than genuinely funny.

Obama's got great comedic timing. He even does those little tricks the pros develop to save a dying joke. If you didn't know who was the pro and who was the president, I would have picked Obama as the -real- standup. Also, why was his material so much better than Wilmore's? Wilmore's got resources, this is a huge deal for him, and he was terrible. Even when its largely Obama's own staff coming up with the jokes (then he chooses and tweaks the ones he likes) they're better than this professional's. Obama nailed the tone, too. A few zingers at others, a few zingers at himself, some gentle softballs, some borderline "cutters". Wilmore was just kind of mean and insulting throughout, including some unfunny insults toward Obama. (Lots to insult him about, but how many people he's killing is never going to be funny.) 

I see the WPo is holding out the hope for Wilmore that in the future, his routine will be regarded like Colbert's with Bush. I don't see why it would.  Colbert's material played well with people who found jokes aimed at Bush's failures-- and the media's failures to report well on them (while saluting one who had, Helen T.) -- TRUE and funny and edgy to say while standing a few feet away from him.  I loved Colbert's bit right there, in the moment, though many hated it. What was there to laugh at with Wilmore? Stale, formulaic jokes about race and age, plus dated "insult humor" toward the media. For Obama's last hurrah at the WHCD, he deserved a much funnier guy.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rcc said:

There was nothing funny or witty about Wilmore last night. The only thing that he said worth noting was that a black quarterback wasn't capable of leading a football team years ago but we have had a black president who was capable of leading the free world. Other than that he was terrible. The cuts to the audience, both black and white, said it all. Even the president had a forced smile during it. The first lady wasn't amused and it was obvious.

Exactly right, RCC!!!  I watched Larry for maybe five minutes & tuned out.  He was reading everything, almost word for word, his timing sucked & his jokes weren't funny, IMHO.

That blonde chick (Kaley?) on the pre-show with John Berman (love him) was a major pain in the ass.  She "struck" a pose, looked like an idiot when she tried to keep smiling for the camera & sounded like a total moron when she spoke.  The comedian lady (older, sorry I didn't know her) really put the stupid twit in her place a couple of times.

Did anyone notice Norah O'Donnell & Brook Baldwin?  Good looking on any person's scale, but over-the-top beautiful last night!!!

Spaghetti Lady (Andrea Mitchell) looks way older than her 69 years & I wish she'd get off my teevee!!!

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Spaghetti Lady (Andrea Mitchell) looks way older than her 69 years & I wish she'd get off my teevee!!!

I thought by now she was in her 70s.  I guess being married to Greenspan aged her.  I wish she'd cover up those chicken wing arms.

• Love 1
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I thought by now she was in her 70s.  I guess being married to Greenspan aged her.  I wish she'd cover up those chicken wing arms.

My Mom's nickname for her was always just "Arms". I accidentally slept through the Corespondents Dinner and it sounds like I didn't miss a whole lot. I wonder if C-SPAN will rerun it?

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if C-SPAN will rerun it?

They usually do rerun it, but I forget how soon afterwards that they do.

C-SPAN will rerun it tonight, 6:30-7:30 Eastern time.

Edited by Ohwell
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Exactly right, RCC!!!  I watched Larry for maybe five minutes & tuned out.  He was reading everything, almost word for word, his timing sucked & his jokes weren't funny, IMHO.

That blonde chick (Kaley?) on the pre-show with John Berman (love him) was a major pain in the ass.  She "struck" a pose, looked like an idiot when she tried to keep smiling for the camera & sounded like a total moron when she spoke.  The comedian lady (older, sorry I didn't know her) really put the stupid twit in her place a couple of times.

Did anyone notice Norah O'Donnell & Brook Baldwin?  Good looking on any person's scale, but over-the-top beautiful last night!!!

I did see Norah O'Donnell. Also Paula Faris looked beautiful too. The news media women looked beautiful without posing single file with fake smiles like the actresses there did.

• Love 2
On 4/28/2016 at 4:17 PM, Dirtybubble said:

I have my DVR set to record all the 80s series on CNN.  I was under the impression that another quiz show was going to be done as well on the 80s hosted by Anderson Cooper *sigh* similar to the thing they did on the 70s last year

Ok so according to my DVR recording list this Saturday, May 7th, CNN is going to re air all the 80s series AND there will be an 80s quiz show hosted by A.C. at 5pm (i think).  Look for it dahlings...

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

Ok so according to my DVR recording list this Saturday, May 7th, CNN is going to re air all the 80s series AND there will be an 80s quiz show hosted by A.C. at 5pm (i think).  Look for it dahlings...

The quiz is also available in the extras section on demand!?

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm late to the party with my comment but in regards to the red carpet / arrivals coverage prior to the dinner --  was anyone else besides me having a big WTF moment with that super trashy red gown that CNN's Sara Murray was wearing?  Holy shit, how inappropriate was that?  Because other than her nipples, her breasts were basically right out there, for all to see.  You aren't J-Lo and you were not at the Grammy's. 

Edited by Cementhead
because other then is wrong, other than is right.
  • Love 2

I saw Sara Murray in a still photo and thought ok show me your boobs!  LOL

Ok who is replacing Michaela Pereira on New Day?   They seem to be chem testing men and women and Sara is one of them!  So I suppose it is every journalist's goal to either get their own show or become a co host?

• Love 1

I find myself pondering the makeup budget for some of the women they have on repping the "presumptive GOP nominee". Save some eyeliner for tomorrow, ladies. 

• Love 4

I was thinking same, he's always on, even if they use a split screen.

Aren't there election laws to prevent this?  The republicans didn't know about them but I hope the democrats will put an end to it.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 3:25 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

The Eighties is just NOT holding my interest. I pretty much zoned out of "Tear Down This Wall" because again, this season is treating this decade as if Reagan was the President for all 10 years! Even with Tiananmen Square incident and the actual tearing down of the wall--which took place under Bush, there is no mention of his winning the presidency or his words when all that went down. It's all Reagan!Reagan!Reagan!  I feel like Jan Brady, whining "Marcia!Marcia!Marciaaaaaa!"

That said, I did get chills and goosebumps when they showed the people crossing, the border guards letting them, and watching the wall come down.

But so very disappointed in how this decade is being portrayed.

I agree The Sixties and the Seventies were so good, I can't believe how disappointing the Eighties have

been. All of the constant Reagon talk is annoying.Tear Down This Wall, was another disappointing episode

it could have and should have been much better.

But watching the people cross always makes me cry. The guards letting them go, seeing them hugging people

on the other side and on top of the wall, then watching them ripping the wall down. It was so wonderful.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Just watched Hillary Rosen on Brooke Baldwin's show.  What happened to that girl?  She looks like she's been really ill!!!???

Agreed!  Wow, she doesn't even look like she has any makeup on to try to look camera ready, I wonder if she has been ill.  I like her so hope not!

• Love 1

She looks better now than she did a few months ago so I'm sure she has had some problems although I haven't heard any talk or rumours about her other than she has some kind of involvement with Herbalife.

• Love 2
(edited)

So, they didn't re-air the episode they preempted last week.  Tonight it was "Greed is Good" and GAG, the second I saw Drumpf, I couldn't reach for my remote control fast enough.

Boring, boring, BORRRRRING!

ETA: Okay, the three famous evangelicals are amusing. Jimmy Baker, and Tammy, Stewart, Roberton, and that dude, Tilton. Only one of them is still standing. GAG.

ETA 2: So, no one else watched? The best thing about this episode? Was seeing how many of Drumpf's ventures FAILED. I laughed my ass off.

And color me SHOCKED when I heard and saw the attribution, that Bill Fucking! (and not in a good way) O'Reilly, used to be a reporter for ABC News!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

There's been another plane crash.  At least, maybe, they'll lighten up on the Trump coverage for a few days.

And color me SHOCKED when I heard and saw the attribution, that Bill Fucking! (and not in a good way) O'Reilly, used to be a reporter for ABC News!!!!

Bill O'Reilly was also a reporter for CBS News.  His novel Those Who Trespass is a revenge fantasy inspired by his time with CBS.

20 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

There's been another plane crash.  At least, maybe, they'll lighten up on the Trump coverage for a few days.

CNN and everyone else is all over Trump almost immediately Tweeting that the crash was Muslim terrorism (of course it might be, but nothing had been determined and he was quite definitive. So, I expect that will be all over the media. 

(edited)

CNN managed to report news of the found debris field at least 45 minutes before MSNBC. 

Seems odd. 

eta especially 'cuz now MSNBC is reporting that's not the debris field. Guess CNN jumped the gun?

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, NewDigs said:

CNN managed to report news of the found debris field at least 45 minutes before MSNBC. 

The first reports of debris being found turned out to be in error.

• Love 1

It's an aviation disaster reunion tonight with all the usual suspects. Richard Quest, Miles O'Brien, Mary Schiavo, and of course Les Abend and moustache. Too bad Wolf isn't on tonight to educate us once more that the "so -called black boxes" aren't really black. 

• Love 5

What I can't figure out is, in a day and age when through technology I can watch a stream of a tennis match happening in France on my computer back here at home, why is all the data from the plane's computerized systems being loaded into a black box that may end up on the bottom of the ocean instead of it being streamed to some headquarters somewhere to be accessed if needed in a situation like this? It makes no sense that such critical information is still being gathered and stored in such an outdated way when technology has made such incredible leaps and bounds. They can keep track of a space ship travelling to the moon and beyond, surely to goodness they can do better with airplanes.

• Love 4

That's been discussed quite a bit on a couple of aviation forums I belong to, especially after the Malaysian 777 disappeared a couple of years ago.  It's a great idea in theory, but when you have thousands of aircraft streaming all of that data, you would need significant bandwidth to handle it all, a network of satellites to beam it across, and someplace to store it. Given the relatively few airliners that crash these days, and the smaller subset of those that go down over the ocean, it's not really a priority to put a system like that in place - you would need countries worldwide to agree on a standard, pay for the network, and require aircraft to be equipped with a costly system (nothing certified for flight is cheap) to transmit the data.  Aviation safety dollars can be spent more effectively elsewhere.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Katydid said:

It's an aviation disaster reunion tonight with all the usual suspects. Richard Quest, Miles O'Brien, Mary Schiavo, and of course Les Abend and moustache. Too bad Wolf isn't on tonight to educate us once more that the "so -called black boxes" aren't really black. 

What? No Sully?

Maybe he "belongs" to another network.

This is just not a good year for The Eighties.  Preempted again. At this point, Not sure when we'll get to see the rest of the episodes, what with the political stuff only going to get more coverage with the conventions.

Sigh...

CNN really should make these episodes available On Demand!

• Love 2
(edited)

What I can't figure out is, in a day and age when through technology I can watch a stream of a tennis match happening in France on my computer back here at home, why is all the data from the plane's computerized systems being loaded into a black box that may end up on the bottom of the ocean instead of it being streamed to some headquarters somewhere to be accessed if needed in a situation like this?

Because that is a HUGE outlay - estimates of the cost to install and maintain work out to at least $10k per plane - for something rarely needed.  Most planes don't crash, and among the tiny percentage that do, almost all have their black boxes recovered.

CNN rarely annoys me more than during plane crash coverage, so I stay away other than to occasionally entertain/horrify myself by watching its coverage during commercials of Al Jazeera America's, but now there is no AJA so it would be too sad.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

I was looking forward to the Video episode of the Eighties, now I have no idea when its going to show up. They still haven't shown a few other topics for one reason or another. Trump, debates, planes,etc.

It's almost comical at this point how The Eighties keeps getting preempted. This week, CNN couldn't bring itself to cut away from its coverage of an event it knew almost nothing about yet, so it could keep reminding us that there was no new information. Over and over, for hours. 

I'm interested the see how the whole music and pop culture scene of the 80s is handled, but the series overall, what I've been able to see of it, anyway, has been a disappointment. CNN did a much better job with the 70s.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

It's almost comical at this point how The Eighties keeps getting preempted. This week, CNN couldn't bring itself to cut away from its coverage of an event it knew almost nothing about yet, so it could keep reminding us that there was no new information. Over and over, for hours. 

I'm interested the see how the whole music and pop culture scene of the 80s is handled, but the series overall, what I've been able to see of it, anyway, has been a disappointment. CNN did a much better job with the 70s.

I know!

I'm not even following the series, and I know others are, but every time I see a schedule change I get a frowny-face thinking of GHScorpiosRule.

Did anyone see Don Lemon's show tonight? I watched a bit of it but was flipping between a couple of different channels. What I did see though had me laughing as much as a couple of the other panelists did. They were talking about the wild right wing conspiracies Trump is blathering about and the Trump surrogate was all indignant because she didn't think they were conspiracies at all - they were all serious matters that deserved to be discussed. When Lemon said the Vince Foster death had been investigated by five separate official investigative bodies, she kept shrieking that five wasn't enough, there should be five hundred if necessary! She was as loony tunes as her boss!

She and Nina Turner (the Sanders surrogate) almost came to blows in an earlier segment. They were talking about the riots at the Trump speech in Albuquerque and she said something about 'those people' outside the arena and Nina took great exception to that and it got pretty heated. Funny stuff. I can just imagine what it's going to be like by November.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, shok said:

Did anyone see Don Lemon's show tonight? I watched a bit of it but was flipping between a couple of different channels. What I did see though had me laughing as much as a couple of the other panelists did. They were talking about the wild right wing conspiracies Trump is blathering about and the Trump surrogate was all indignant because she didn't think they were conspiracies at all - they were all serious matters that deserved to be discussed. When Lemon said the Vince Foster death had been investigated by five separate official investigative bodies, she kept shrieking that five wasn't enough, there should be five hundred if necessary! She was as loony tunes as her boss!

She and Nina Turner (the Sanders surrogate) almost came to blows in an earlier segment. They were talking about the riots at the Trump speech in Albuquerque and she said something about 'those people' outside the arena and Nina took great exception to that and it got pretty heated. Funny stuff. I can just imagine what it's going to be like by November.

That Trump surrogate needs to be FIRED!  She is the worst spokesperson of all time and every time I see her she is the same but I only caught the tail end of that conspiracy segment.  Don asked that guy what his opinion was and he was dumbfounded about the whole idea of the absurdity of even having the conversation!  LOL  

• Love 1

How far does Wolf have to dumb down to interview a Trump surrogate?

Katrina Pierson has no clue what the constitution says, does or how it's amended.  Wolf asks her several times and gets same deer in the headlights expression.

Same thing recently when Carol Costello interviewed some Valley Girl with large title for Trump campaign.

• Love 4

I was listening to CNN this morning and I don't know who was doing the interviews but she interviewed two of the least articulate people I've recently heard. One had been on the Apprentice but the interview was so disjointed I'm not sure about the other woman.

I think the interview was supposed to be a balanced look at 2 women who had experience with the Trump temperament but about all I took away from it was Trump has an equal disrespect for men and women. Alrighty then. Good job?

• Love 1

I notice New Day seem to be chem testing for Michaela's replacement.  Michaela will be hard to replace, she brought a great warmth and was great with her guests too.  I would guess it is a goal of a reporter to get an anchor job? 

What's her name, Ashley someone blathering on this morning about the "poor parents" whose child crawled into the gorilla enclosure. If those "poor" parents had paid attention to what their child was doing....

Anyways, my sympathies are with the dead gorilla. Who didn't do anything wrong and was killed in cold blood. I hope the fucker who killed him somehow pays for this big time. I hope he leads a miserable and cursed life.  Ever hear of a tranquilizer gun?   I hope PETA comes down on the "poor" parents - who I bet you will sue the zoo - and the trigger happy zoo keepers like a ton of bricks. 

It's hard to say who I loathe more - zoos who imprison and abuse magnificent and endangered animals for profit or the gawking tourists who stare at the animals.

I haven't been this upset about the senseless death of an animal since that  dentist killed that famous lion.

• Love 3

CNN's State of the Union introduced a novel approach to campaign coverage.  After studiously ignoring all Presidential candidates not named Trump while they were still in the race, yesterday they had a lengthy interview with a candidate who had dropped out.

Not that I'm any fan of Marcio Rubio, but that really irritated me.

(edited)
3 hours ago, magdalene said:

Ever hear of a tranquilizer gun? 

What I've heard from the zoo head in the press conference today and from other wildlife experts today is that a tranquilizer might not have taken effect in time--one guy said that it might have taken as long as 5 minutes-- and might also have disoriented the poor gorilla, so that he would have unintentionally harmed the kid.  I feel so bad for the gorilla but it seems like the zoo staff had no choice but to kill him.  

If there's any blame to be placed, it's on the adult(s) who was supposed to be watching the kid.  Unfortunately, the last I heard, no one will be charged with neglect. 

Edit:  Actually the guy said it would have taken as long as 15 minutes.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 7

The last I had heard is that the parents intend to sue the zoo. They are going to make hay from this poor gorilla's death - which they have caused in no small part. The only thing I like about this likely law suit is that it may cost the zoo dearly. Anything that harms these animal prisons like zoos and Sea Worlds where they exploit and abuse animals that should be living free  is fine by me.

Jack Hanna has spoken out in favor of killing the gorilla. Not a surprise considering what kind of person he is.

I agree that there shouldn't be zoos in the first place.  I used to enjoy going as a kid, but as I got older I began to feel sorry for the animals. I dream of lions and gorillas and other animals just watching humans in cages.

I hope the parents rot in hell.

• Love 3

Why in the world does CNN think it has to have a Trump spokesperson on for every single segment on politics that they do whether it's about Trump or not? All day long, every single program, if they're going to talk about anything political, whether it's Republican or Democratic, they have someone 'official' on to spout all the Trump lies and defend him and make excuses for him. They don't do it for Sanders or Clinton but they sure as hell make sure we hear about what Trump thinks about anything.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, shok said:

Why in the world does CNN think it has to have a Trump spokesperson on for every single segment on politics that they do whether it's about Trump or not? All day long, every single program, if they're going to talk about anything political, whether it's Republican or Democratic, they have someone 'official' on to spout all the Trump lies and defend him and make excuses for him. They don't do it for Sanders or Clinton but they sure as hell make sure we hear about what Trump thinks about anything.

This has been bugging me for a while!  They bring on candidate's surrogates/ spokespeople way too often!  I guess it is the nature of 24 hour news channels that they will use anyone to fill the hours. And the candidates have plenty of people at the ready. I would like to see them focus the political coverage where they are having lengthy panel discussions to specific hours a day and then try to get actual informed humans ( like Robert Reich or governors or Ash Carter) instead of panels of spokespeople and other journalist.