Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN (Vaulted)

There were some funny moments though...Jeb saying how wonderful his mom is and Trump saying she should run...Rubio calling out Cruz for not knowing Spanish and boom he speaks some Spanish...Carson thanking the moderator for being asked questions....Kasich always playing teacher's pet because he is looks down his nose at those who engage.  OMG  Had to laugh at the girl in the audience who had camera on her a lot because of her seat beyond the panel who was constantly texting and laughing, why was she there?!  Worst debate yet and I think this moderator had the least control, not sure why?!

• Love 1

Change of subject here ---  Did anyone watch the documentary on the two part special on the The Eagles.   I watched the entire 4 hour special on Saturday night and let me tell you, it was fantastic.  I was raised in the 70's/80's and love The Eagles.   Don Henley and Glenn Fry were great song writers.   Lot's of tension between the band members.  They talked about how successful Henley/Fry were in the 80's era and the the band's comeback in the 90's.   I would highly recommend everyone to watch it when they air it again.    No one makes music or writes songs like that anymore.... it brought back a lot of memories for me.     My only regret was that I never saw them in concert.

Just curious with a quick question.

Was Don "Hotel California" much mentioned? And his disenfranchisement?

Love Eagles music but have been somewhat disillusioned by Henley's and Frey's sometimes over the top egos.

The republican town hall  last night was mediocre in that I expected  more from Anderson.

He could have done some in depth follow-up to the non-answers these guys gave.

Although props to Cruz.  I so want bat shit crazy Trump to sue him so Cruz can depose him.  I'd even pay to see that!

I won't waste another minute of my life watching round two tonight because the the whole lot of the republicans is enough to make my head explode.

• Love 3

Watched last night and hoped Pt 2 would be better.

Nope. Kasich and Jeb could absolutely put you to sleep. And with Jeb, it's not just the energy level per Trump. He has NO concept of succinctness. He'd get a question, start droning on, I'd mute it, do things, turn the sound back...he was still going on, and not even with the organization of topic that builds or is long-winded because it's encyclopedic.  He's just long-winded and boring, and apparently thinks if it's long, somewhere in there there must be a good answer and we'll find it.

Kasich's much the same, except that he also thinks he can be funny and I didn't find him funny at all. I was so ready for Trump, even though Anderson's questions were still softballs, just like the previous night. I -did- enjoy Trump not backing down on  9/11 and WMDs in that Republican crowd, with Jeb and Barbara Bush (mother) sitting right there. Someone that audience would listen to (i.e. not a liberal) actually told them that Bush started the war  under false pretenses and destabilized as a result. (He compromised on the "lie" part, but not on WMDs or Iraq not attacking us.) Maybe someone in that crowd or at home was listening. (In a tabloid way, I admit I found his comments about his faults and about Michael Jackson's problem at the end, interesting and with a ring of truth).

Edited by Padma
  • Love 1

The last vote has barely been counted and John King has trotted out his primary map.  He has concluded that Trump will win every remaining primary and the bulk of the delegates.

I'm really confused, as a democrat, what this people are so damn angry about and what they're looking for.  Even Bernie's brand of shaking things up doesn't come off as let's hate everyone and everything and blow the world up to change it.

• Love 3

I know. "We" - meaning the voters as a collective keep sending the same people back to Washington and the same things keep happening. Are these same people who are angry and want to see Trump win the nomination also willing to vote in new representatives to Congress to really shake things up? More has to change other than nominating Trump for President.

Also, I don't understand how someone can call the whole primary season based on final race results from about 4 states.

• Love 3

Even Bernie's brand of shaking things up doesn't come off as let's hate everyone and everything and blow the world up to change it.

I don't know about that. Bernie's campaign has done a lot of really underhanded nasty stuff and it leaks right down to his supporters, many of whom are behaving very badly at the caucuses and are flooding the internet with some awfully sleazy stuff. Bernie's really got his dog whistle out and some of the racism is getting pretty odious. I'm not going to get into all the specifics but reading about many of the incidents is very unsettling. Neither CNN nor any of the other media are mentioning it but there's a reason why the polling places comprised of mostly African Americans and Latinos in Las Vegas caucused for Hillary in the 80-90% range.

Delegate wins in three little, dinky nowhere states (no offense, NH, Iowa and SC) are enough to call the nomination for Trump? Say, what?

And, yes, I realize they're geographically diverse (not that demographically diverse, given that its the GOP) and Trump's winning with pretty much all of them. (I agree with him that if Cruz hadn't cheated, he'd also have won Iowa).  But Texas is coming up. And, bottom line, despite his command of hot-button populism over "illegal immigration", telling voters what they already know about how "stupid and incompetent" people in government are, and promising to "Make America Great Again" (still claiming he came up with it when it was R. Reagan)...Trump's pretty much a "know-nothing" on issues.  His promised trade wars with China, Japan and Mexico will HURT, not help, the American consumer. And he seems to know nothing about foreign policy beyond what any of us could get from watching a few Sunday talk shows. It's shocking he's gotten so far--with such a "pass" from reporters and candidates alike at the debates.

But surely there will be an end to it soon. Right?  .... Right?

• Love 1

Carol Costello and her whiny plea questions to the guests make me the most crazy of all the commentators on CNN.  I mute her more than Wolf!!  LOL 

I really like their quiz shows with Anderson.  John Berman is an Einstein!

My bold.  I was trying to find someplace where I couldn post my compliments to CNN for this great show.  Really fun & interesting & John Berman is SO smart!!

• Love 1

My bold.  I was trying to find someplace where I couldn post my compliments to CNN for this great show.  Really fun & interesting & John Berman is SO smart!!

Me too!  And I love how we can see a different side of the ones participating.  I wish they would do them more often, well done!

• Love 1
(edited)
Yes. Showing every Trump everyday every time he opens his mouth as breaking news wasn't enough coverage

It was for me 8 months ago.... but they have only recently begun actually discussing the fact that he has baggage, lots of it.  All of this should have been brought up by the investigative reporters months ago.   Instead, they courted his favor, and held him up on a pedestal. and acted as if  they were best buddies.   

Edited by Drogo
Quote formatting.
  • Love 7

I'm trying to figure out which is worse, the fact that presidential politics needs a TV-14 attached to it, or that CNN.com felt it appropriate to actually run the headline, "Donald Trump defends size of his penis."

• Love 12

With the exception of Jeffrey Lord, all the CNN's Trump talkers look like ex apprentice participants and beauty show contestants.

When they introduced some guy today as one of his senior advisers, I nearly fell over.  But the guy was an obnoxious  ass.  Basically a mini Trump.

• Love 3

Monday 4:00 AM (central time).   The president is in Cuba for historical visit.  CNN's top story:  Trump.

Friday.  Breaking news terrorist caught in Belgium.  CNN's top story:  Trump.

This has to be the most pathetic coverage of world news.  Maybe it will derail CNN from the likes of which they'll never recover.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 8

Well, wow, Donald Trump can read from a teleprompter and hit all the talking points that Jewish people want to hear.  I walked in the room, turned on the TV in the middle of Kasichs' speech - where there was lots of rousing applause because he was actually saying real stuff.  Trump got very little applause, but no one seems to notice that.  Cruz got medium applause.  I did not hear H. Clintons' speech. 

• Love 2

Yep.  It's amazing that Trump basically wants to arm the world with nukes and the audience didn't run for the doors.

On New Day this morning the panel basically agreed that Trump's clueless.  David Gregory even referred to how WWI started.

And I'm agreeing with Ben Ferguson in an other segment.  This is getting weird.

Edited by stormy
  • Love 1

Not to change the subject or anything, but does anyone know when CNN's The Eighties will premiere? Frankly, that's the only thing I like about this network. I still mourn for the Network that was my go to station 20 odd years ago.

• Love 1

Not to change the subject or anything, but does anyone know when CNN's The Eighties will premiere? Frankly, that's the only thing I like about this network. I still mourn for the Network that was my go to station 20 odd years ago.

It starts tomorrow, Thursday, at 9 for 2 hours!

• Love 2

LMAO  He is my absolute fave!!!

I would never have guessed!

I'm so excited for the return of this show. I wonder if they'll rebroadcast The Seventies right before The Eighties? I really wish they'd rebroadcast The Sixties since I missed that one.

But I'm really looking forward to seeing how much time they spend on Where's the Beef?" commercial for Wendy's and how it brought that sweet little old lady into instant celebrityhood. And The Iran Contra...AIDS...Rock Hudson...Gary Hart...Challenger...

• Love 4

They have been airing the Seventies recently on CNN Saturday nights and they did the Sixties a while ago and I think the Sixties is on Netflix.

Awesome! I have Netflix, so I can catch up with The Sixties on there. Durnit. I thought my dvr was set up to record new and repeats, but clearly not, since I haven't gotten any of the episodes from The Seventies.

Anyone know if CNN released these on DVDs? I would SO buy them. At least the 60s-80s.

What a fantastic start! Pop Culture! Dallas! JR Ewin'! Bobby Ewing!  And I squeed and grinned to see that Patrick Duffy was one of the celebrities that provided his thoughts, and some of the interviews. Mark Harmon!!!!! Ohmyohmyohmy! Two of my early tween crushes!!!!

What?

I would have liked to have heard from Oprah herself or maybe Linda Gray, Mary Crosby.

I am glad that The Cosby Show was mentioned, because despite what's been revealed about Bill Cosby, that show was a huge staple of this era.  And it was funny.  Again, no interview with any of the cast from Family Ties?

So much goodness last night.  And PUHLEAZE. while Dynasty was a hit, its sequel, The Colbys was a huge fail, which is why it was cancelled with in a year and Fallon and Jeff returned to the original show.

I didn't realize that Robin Leach was still alive.

Mary Hart! Man, I remember when Entertainment Tonight used to be soooo good and not the trash show it is now. How very sad.

I never saw the news report about the Nazis on Geraldo and how his nose got broken, but I did watch the show and I remember being shocked at what unfolded.

Man, I know there was some more good stuff, but my brain's all mush right now.  I will say that watching this and The Seventies, I miss those decades that defined my childhood and teen years.

Oh! And the commentators talking about Falcon Crest and how it starred the President's first wife! Hee!

Walter Cronkite. *sniff* I still miss him.

And yeah, the minute those fucking corporate entities bought the news divisions, news, as it should be, objective, giving the public the, you, know, news, DIED. Because it was all about profits, ratings, and they didn't give any fucks about the actual news content.

I'm gonna watch it again tonight. Yes, I did save it on my dvr!

• Love 4
(edited)

Was I the only one who watched last night? I'm finally coming up for air from work, expecting to read others' thoughts on the premiere and...crickets.

Maaan.

ETA:

ACK! I can't believe I forgot to mention this in my previous post! DRUMPF! FUCKING DRUMPF was also showcased and good thing I wasn't drinking anything when Leach asked him if he had any "political aspirations" and that fucker shook his head and said, "No. No political aspirations."

LIAR!!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I watched "The Eighties," GHScorpiosRule. I agree it was very good. It's been ages since I've seen Phil Donahue, so I was delighted to see him interviewed and especially since he's looking and sounding great for 80. 

For me, the '80s were the decade of quality TV. I realize that we're supposedly in another era of quality TV right now, but I'm just parroting what other people say, since I don't watch nearly as much TV now as I did back then. But Hill Street Blues, St. Elsewhere, Cheers, M*A*S*H… those all served as my introduction to really great writing on television. I thought CNN did a nice retrospective.

• Love 4

I was just about to make a post of me talking to myself, which would have included where are all the people who were looking forward to The Eighties?

Also, it was so great and bittersweet to see Tip O'Neill!

I'm just now finishing watching The Sixties and MY GOD, it's fucking amazing! Chills and tears as I see how many great leaders were assassinated and made me think what would the world be like today had they not been murdered?

I admit that I was disappointed I didn't see Cronkite break down when he confirmed President Kennedy's death; not because I'm a cold person, but it was such a powerful and emotional moment. Just as seeing John F. Kennedy, Jr. saluting his father.

But I am happy we do see Gloria Steinem in at least two episodes. I really REALLY want this series on DVD so I can watch them over and over again. I hope The Seventies is available on Netflix. Because I so want to watch it again!

As for the current season, I can't wait until they cover the music because we had great music! It was FUN! and the big HAIR!

And the politics of course!

For a station that sucks as a news station when it used to be good, CNN really struck gold with this series. And a big THANK YOU to Tom Hanks for being involved as an executive producer. At least as one of them anyway.

• Love 2

The Seventies is airing on CNN tonight! Set your DVR! The Eighties was great and brought back many memories! Cronkite did choke back a tear or two announcing Kennedy.

And it's also on Netflix! But I'm still recording it because Netflx could remove it whenever. Just wish they'd re-air The Sixties so I could have it to rewatch whenever I want!

And man, did Tom Shales age horribly. He looks like Jabba The Hut.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've really been looking forward to The Eighties because I so enjoyed The Seventies and The Sixties. Also because the Eighties are the first decade of which I have any actual memories (although I was still in elementary school when they ended). I'm a little sad that there is not a thread for it.

I thought that the promo they aired for the series, with the quiet driving scene from Miami Vice and the Phil Collins song was a great minimalist promo for the series. I also really like the opening credits: it's a great theme song that they've carried over from the other specials and they've used stirring graphics/ images to go with it. The wall falling down in them practically made me well up.

I was a little bit ... underwhelmed? ... by certain parts of the TV-focused episode. I thought that the corresponding episode from the 70s did a better job at the outset of grouping the TV trends into a larger social context, and I thought they were just sort of throwing TV facts at us here about the news anchors, who shot JR, what popular dramas were out there (why talk about Hill Street Blues at the beginning and then circle back to Thirtysomething and LA Law, for example, other than when in the decade these shows aired?), "women's shows", etc. They didn't contextualize the trends very well. And I assume that they will be having a music episode, and that's the place to talk about MTV's seismic influence. A few lines about youth-oriented TV was kind of lifeless here.

I did think it picked up steam in the middle when it talked about comedy trends in TV. My mom was a huge Letterman fan in the 80s (before he became establishment in the 90s) and used to tell me that she would watch his morning show while feeding me breakfast and followed him to late night, and so that was a nice bit of nostalgia. But objectively, I thought that the show also did a good job of highlighting deconstructionist comedy trends over the decade. And I lol'd at David Letterman driving down the road with his "small town news" and then Paul's music truck pulls up beside him for musical accompaniment. I'd not seen that before.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yes, I'm wondering if maybe there shouldn't be a separate thrread for these shows?

Anyhoo, I wasn't that disappointed in the television portion, because really, compared to the previous two decades, other than character arcs, and certain ground breaking topics, there wasn't really anything to delve into.  And let me assure you, Luke and Laura's wedding? Made the cover of Time.  Elizabeth Taylor was such a fan they made her the widow of the EVUHL Despot that Luke killed.  And also, who shot JR? Was anything and everything people talked about durnig that summer of hiatus. I remember that my mom had taken me to India that fall, right before the premiere, so I didn't see who was the actual shooter. And yes, my parents allowed me to watch the show back then, because in the beginning at its core, it was a great family drama. Despite JR's tomcatting ways.  And when my dad joined us in January, he was able to fill me in on the episodes I'd missed and who it was that had shot JR!

So, I wasn't really disappointed.  I do wonder though how far in advance they put these shows together, because after watching The Sixties and The Seventies, I want to know did they approach Sir Paul McCartney? Ringo? Jagger? to get their thoughts about what they went through, instead of all these historians? Or any of the actresses during that era? Or even for the current season, Candice Bergen, Tyne Daly, Sharon Gless, Daniel J. Travanti, etc.

No lie, but I teared up when they showed Walter Cronkite announcing that this would be his last time reporting the news. I loved him. For as long as I could remember, he was the only one I watched, or my parents, I should say, when we watched the evening World News.

Though I see your point about MTV being discussed when they do music, I can see why they had it in the first episode--because it was ground breaking for us teens to have a station dedicated to music videos during waking hours. Up until then, there was "Friday Night Videos" which aired after MIDNIGHT.  So sad what's become of that network today. Plus, a lot of the subjects overlap in the episodes, like Vietnam, Kennedy's assassination, and Nixon in the previous seasons.

I just better get my "Where's the Beef?" discussion!!!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't really take issue with the facts that they mentioned, more how they were presented: it just felt a little disorganized at some points, whereas at others, they were telling a cohesive story. The Seventies told a tight story. CBS blew up the landscape, gave Norman Lear a platform; MTM came at the right time to address the life of the single working woman; the rise of the miniseries, etc. Well-categorized trends.

Maybe they should have talked about the "superficiality" of TV all at once: event TV (Luke & Laura, who shot JR), soapy dramas about the rich and privileged. (Might have liked to hear more about why that happened at that point in history, too, as that's hard to separate from yuppie-ism and Alex Keaton, as well) Deconstructionism in comedy dovetailed with the rise of niche programming. It just seemed a little bit disorganized in parts is all.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was also surprised they mentioned the Colbys since it didn't do well at all. But I loved that Falcon Crest got

a mention! I really wasn't expecting that.

Call me cynical, but I wasn't surprised that Falcon Crest got a mention--if only because our President was Reagan during the 80s and Wyman was his ex-wife.

So, has anyone watched The Race to the White House? Last night was episode five, so I went back to watch from the beginning, thinking it was going to be about elections from the first election to the current, but no. The first was "Kennedy v. Nixon.".  And I have to say, I'm getting peeved, and I don't know why, because I know, he wasn't perfect; he was a philandering, cheating husband, but from all my history books and the documentaries I've seen, I believe John F. Kennedy was a good president. I believe that Robert Kennedy would have been a good president and that he cared.  But there's one pundit, and big surrrprise, Evan Thomas, who in this show, has been identified as "Nixon biographer," while in The Sixties and The Seventies, he's just "historian."  To hear him speak, John and Robert were the worst kind of racists, didn't give two fucks about civil rights, and that Nixon did "more for civil rights" and was "friends" with Martin Luther King, Jr., and was "gracious" in his defeat, even though John "rigged and stole" the election, by fraudulent voting in Illinois and Texas? I think. But according to Sen. John  Warner, who was a...Nixon Aide, Nixon did the "honorable" thing and told Ike not to contest it, and "let" Kennedy have his "win."

Give me a fucking break.

The nation learned and discovered just how honorable and "not racist" Nixon turned out to be.

And call me naive, but I actually believed both John and Robert Kennedy, in the footage of their speeches I've seen, even though I wasn't even born during that time.

Then again, this show is about the dirty shenanigans and back room deals that were done behind closed doors, so what the fuck do I know?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

As a child of the 80s I enjoyed The Eighties as well.  I thought 2 hours might be a bit too long but I guess there was enough info to cover in those 2 hours plus the 80s was so much about what was on t.v. and how it shaped the decade.  I prefer the more in depth look that CNN does to these decades than what VH1 did awhile back with the I Love the _____ decade stuff.  I kinda miss the fun commentary the "celebs" gave on the VH1 shows but I also like the more thoughtful comments these....experts....are giving for this show.  Will each episode be 2 hours long?

I'm watching Race to the White House as well.  Reenactments in documentaries always kinda bugged me a bit--the actors they get never really seem to portray the subject as well as I would like and that seems to be the same here but I still enjoy the series.  As far as the actual facts go, I take CNN as a serious and knowledgeable cable channel so it is my instinct to simply trust what they are saying as fact.  Sorry I don't know that much about the U.S. Presidential races to be know for sure what is true and not.

I really liked The Seventies so I was eager to start The Eighties. I realized while watching it that, since I was born in the 90's (is that series coming next year?), this is the last decade that is purely history to me.

The tv episode was fine, but I didn't find it as interesting as I found the tv episode for The Seventies.

From what I can tell, the next episode will be about the AIDS crisis, which I figured would be obligatory in a series about the 80's. That area is a big interest of mine so I'm looking forward to seeing it and hope they do it well.

Does anyone know what the other episodes will be?

• Love 1

But there's one pundit, and big surrrprise, Evan Thomas, who in this show, has been identified as "Nixon biographe," while in The Sixties and The Seventies, he's just "historian." To hear him speak, John and Robert were the worst kind of racists, didn't give two fucks about civil rights, and that Nixon did "more for civil rights" and was "friends" with Martin Luther King, Jr., and was "gracious" in his defeat, even though John "rigged and stole" the election, by fraudulent voting in Illinois and Texas? I think.

I missed the first part of this episode but have caught the end twice. I agree that they seemed to have more of a Nixon perspective than a Kennedy one on this show, such as giving Pat Buchanan another platform to go on and on when he holds some rather ugly views. (Is Evan Thomas bad in some way, though? I used to enjoy his investigative reporting in Newsweek and later his talking heads on MSNBC.) I think that you're right that the Nixon tapes would make it difficult to argue seriously that Nixon had racial justice in his heart. This show basically just shows the ugliness of how the sausage is made, though, and I think it's accepted fact that Kennedy surrogates committed voter fraud in TX and IL, so it is what it is. That one person in the Lincoln episode noted the Lincoln team's dirty dealings and said that it was probably for the best, since Lincoln was our greatest president, and so I think that the takeaway is that it is nearly impossible to be both a saint and a winner in American politics.

I saw the Lincoln episode, and I saw the beginning of the Truman one, which was interesting because I didn't know Truman had only met FDR twice before FDR died. They have some surprising choices for talking heads in all these episodes, I think. For example, is Jake Tapper an historian or just the only self-promotional interview they could land? (I honestly don't know anything about his background.) And I know Sen. Claire McCaskill is from Missouri, but I didn't know that she was someone who could speak with authority on Truman (I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically, as I thought that she was fine.)

CNN has become my background station of choice in the last year or so, in that if I'm home and have the TV on while doing work, my default is CNN. I've always been an NBC loyalist, but at some point, MSNBC became nearly unwatchable to me. CNN is obsessed with Trump, but their anchors (generally) don't drive me up the wall, make themselves the story or shout over their interview guests, which is good.

(edited)

I'm not that naive, in that I don't think that not everyone plays clean, if you will. I just couldn't understand why they couldn't be even handed, and I really, really resented Nixon being made to look like the more honest one. GAG. I laughed and rolled my eyes when I saw Pat Buchanan, because of COURSE! He was on in the Seventies, defending Nixon. I believe he also said Nixon should have destroyed the tapes.

The only really honest candidate I can see is Dukakis. Because he fired Sasso, who had leaked Biden's 'plagiarized' speech from the U.K. guy, whose name and title are escaping me now.  And he refused to play dirty. I was really exhausted last night, so I still haven't seen the end of it yet.  And I think, what a shame that Dukakis didn't win. Or that this show didn't try to get Rather to talk about his interview with then Presidential candidate Bush. I didn't see it as Bush winning at all, like that Fuller guy seemed to think he did. I remember that interview, and I remember my thinking, how pissed off Bush was, because he thought it was going to be about his candidacy and not about Iran-Contra and what he knew.  Or how Reagan still wouldn't admit what he did.

I don't dislike Evan Thomas. I actually liked him in The Sixties. But here? In Nixon v. JFK? He clearly let his bias show, and he was the one who lumped the actual candidates with not giving any fucks about social issues, unlike the HONORABLE Nixon. So disappointing.

That race was right after I turned 18, so it was my first election.  I'm ashamed to admit ((I can't believe I was soooo stupid) that I voted for that asshat Bush because of what he said: "Read my lips: No more taxes!" Even though my heart and gut were telling me to vote Dukakis. I'm still very much ashamed.

The Eighties: I can't wait for this week; they better do a thorough job--like how Reagan REFUSED to admit it was a crisis or do anyfuckingthing about it. I'm hoping that they will also talk about that AIDS concert in the summer of 1985. So much goodness.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

I'm not that naive, in that I don't think that not everyone plays clean, if you will. I just couldn't understand why they couldn't be even handed, and I really, really resented Nixon being made to look like the more honest one. GAG. I laughed and rolled my eyes when I saw Pat Buchanan, because of COURSE! He was on in the Seventies, defending Nixon. I believe he also said Nixon should have destroyed the tapes.

The only really honest candidate I can see is Dukakis. Because he fired Sasso, who had leaked Biden's 'plagiarized' speech from the U.K. guy, whose name and title are escaping me now.  And he refused to play dirty. I was really exhausted last night, so I still haven't seen the end of it yet.  And I think, what a shame that Dukakis didn't win. Or that this show didn't try to get Rather to talk about his interview with then Presidential candidate Bush. I didn't see it as Bush winning at all, like that Fuller guy seemed to think he did. I remember that interview, and I remember my thinking, how pissed off Bush was, because he thought it was going to be about his candidacy and not about Iran-Contra and what he knew.  Or how Reagan still wouldn't admit what he did.

I don't dislike Evan Thomas. I actually liked him in The Sixties. But here? In Nixon v. JFK? He clearly let his bias show, and he was the one who lumped the actual candidates with not giving any fucks about social issues, unlike the HONORABLE Nixon. So disappointing.

That race was right after I turned 18, so it was my first election.  I'm ashamed to admit ((I can't believe I was soooo stupid) that I voted for that asshat Bush because of what he said: "Read my lips: No more taxes!" Even though my heart and gut were telling me to vote Dukakis. I"m still very much ashamed.

The Eighties: I can't wait for this week; they better do a thorough job--like how Reagan REFUSED to admit it was a crisis or do anyfuckingthing about it. I'm hoping that they will also talk about that AIDS concert in the summer of 1985. So much goodness.

I agree with a lot of what you say but I don't think that the concert in the summer of 1985 was for AIDS. Live Aid was for hunger and famine in Ethiopia. We Are the World and stuff like that. I also voted for Bush in '88 but my excuse is that I was 18 and my brain wasn't fully formed yet.

• Love 1