Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN (Vaulted)

(edited)

Aaaand the punditry has started, with the Confederate flag now removed.

I was all for it, but why all the pomp and ceremony? Couldn't they have just taken it down?

ETA: I don't mean that I'm questioning the ceremony as a bad thing; With all the delaying and hemming and hawing from the politicians, it just came off, from the surface as posturing by them. And I know it's not that at all.

I'm happy for all of y'all, who had to live with this for so many years.

But I still can't stand Haley. I think she's an idiot.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3

I am enjoying The Seventies.  I also enjoy Someone's Got To Do It, and Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown.   I think TLC needs to take a look and see how they can change their programming instead of all the crap they have on now.   CNN is showing a lot of good shows.  I am also an Anderson Cooper fan -- just love the guy.    I just wish they would get rid of Don Lemon, he is the worst newscaster an the most annoying person on the network. 

• Love 2

Watching  The Seventies: Crimes and Cults" right now and damn if that Charlie Manson isn't a crazy motherfucker. That look in his eyes as he stares after his hair is shaved off after being sentenced to death? I shuddered. And I never do that with respect to watching real life criminals that aren't being portrayed by actors.

And it's so bittersweet to see Bugliosi, since he just recently passed away.  

Manson's "girls" are also whack jobs. Glad they were never released. Or Manson.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Watching The Seventies: Crimes and Cults" right now and damn if that Charlie Manson isn't a crazy motherfucker. "

I saw him in a recent prison interview show. Prison is the best place for him and the safest place for the rest of us.

Excluding Jonestown, people in the 1970's--including me-- would be appalled at the mass shootings at public places, with the church in South Carolina being the recent, tragic occurrence.

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 3

I wish I could remember who did a skit showing TV news anchors pronouncing every Spanish name and/or word with a latino accent.  They wondered why Irish names weren't given the same treatment, and provided a hilarious example of what that would sound like (lovely OTT old country pronunciations of names like O'Brien, Shaughnessy, etc).

That was an In Living Color sketch. I think it ended with the Irish story but the also did a part with a German accent (for a story about a Der Weinerschnitzel being robbed by a man who got away in a Volkswagon) and one more I can't remember. Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out the right search terms to find it on YouTube.

• Love 1

I was watching CNN Newsroom with Brooke Baldwin today.  Although Pamela Brown was filling in.

Her guests were two former Apprentice contestants.

One, Tana Goertz, is now Trump's Iowa campaign manager.  Pamela asked her what her duties are.

"To educate Iowa voters of Mr. Trump's greatness."

Does someone need to show her the way to the Yellow Brick Road?

• Love 4

As much as I'm enjoying The Seventies, and I am, when the camera panned to Steven Ford, during Election Night of 1976, when Ford lost to Carter, the only thing going through my mind was :ROWR!.

Ahem.

If this series ever becomes available on dvd, I am SO getting it. Well the '60s and '70s at least!

I mean, I was a little kid in 1976, so I didn't even realize that Reagan was running for the Republican ticket for President that year.

I think when they're done, I'll rewatch all of the '70s again in one fell swoop.

• Love 1
As much as I'm enjoying The Seventies, and I am, when the camera panned to Steven Ford, during Election Night of 1976, when Ford lost to Carter, the only thing going through my mind was :ROWR!.

I have the soap mags to thank for knowing this since I never watched Y&R, but Steven Ford was a soap actor in the early to mid '80s on Y&R, apparently involved in story with two characters still there, Lauren and Paul.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have the soap mags to thank for knowing this since I never watched Y&R, but Steven Ford was a soap actor in the early to mid '80s on Y&R, apparently involved in story with two characters still there, Lauren and Paul.

Correct!  Ford played Andy, a private eye who worked for Paul at his PI office.  Paul was married to Lauren and Andy became involved with Diane.  He was a heartthrob! 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2

The Seventies is a great show.  I've only watched a few episodes, but I enjoy looking back at those times from a historical perspective.  I was 21 when that decade ended so its been amazing seeing those news items again.  The best part - no one sermonizing to us while it plays.  The commentary is informational, and lets you make up your own mind. 

One thing I have noticed is how that old saying is right: History repeats itself.

• Love 3
(edited)

EEEEE!!!!!!

Jessica Savitch!

Ahem

I'm sorry. This series is bringing back so many memories of when I was a kid. Even though I was only 8, I remember the whole Iran hostage situation. But the nuclear plant leaking radiation, I don't remember. But I remember the gas crisis.

Weird.

And a very young Bill Clinton at the 1980 Convention!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

What's really weird is that I was in high school in the 70s (Class of '77) and I don't remember the gas crisis at all. But I didn't own a car either (which is why I bounced to school in the bus) so that may have been why.

• Love 2

I keep reading and Lord knows, Bawawa and her sychophants kept ramming this down my throat, how Barbara Walter led the whatever the phrase is I'm looking for, for women broadcast journalist. Because I'm sooo not impressed. Too bad at what happened to Jessica Savitch, because I find her more believable than Bawawa.

• Love 1

Maybe you had to be there at the time to appreciate the impact Barbara Walters had.  I was in jr. high when she was a "Today Girl" on the TODAY show in the early '60s, doing "women's stories" & weather (nothing too serious, like hurricanes).  It must have been a struggle for her to climb out of that hole & eventually be taken seriously as a reporter & interviewer -- the time was right & someone was bound  to do it, but she's the one who did.  I noticed it at the time & don't know any woman my age who doesn't acknowledge her role in the women's movement & admire her for it, warts & all.  

Jessica Savitch came along 10-15 years later & certainly made her mark, which was well deserved -- who knows what she might have accomplished had she not died way too young.

As far as female trailblazers in news are concerned, I'd like to see a CNN special about Marlene Sanders, who died on July 14 & was the mother of CNN's legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin.  

• Love 1

Anderson must be a glutton for punishment.

He interviewed Trump again.

The amount of garbage that comes out of Trump's mouth is amazing.

His followers are there for a free stand-up act.

• Love 3

"Anderson must be a glutton for punishment.

He interviewed Trump again.

The amount of garbage that comes out of Trump's mouth is amazing.

His followers are there for a free stand-up act."

The studio janitorial staff must have to use shovels after one of his interviews.

• Love 4

After watching The Seventies last night, I thought about how limited info was about sex back then. In high school, the students would pass around The Happy Hooker or The Story of O to scandalize/arouse prurient interest. This was before reading was considered a form of punishment. Now sex talk is readily available on satellite TV.

Seeing the feminist icons of that time (Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, and Susan Brownmiller) made me realize how these women have influenced my life. Phyllis Schlafly, despite her best efforts, didn't dim the light of feminism.

• Love 1

Last night's Seventies episode - I'd forgotten how the women's lib movement was so closely 'related' to the sexual revolution - at least in the Male mind.  I've always considered them two different things.  Women's lib was about so much more than whether or not you were a 'good girl' even if you chose to have sex.

• Love 7

Seeing the feminist icons of that time (Gloria Steinem, Betty Friedan, and Susan Brownmiller) made me realize how these women have influenced my life. Phyllis Schlafly, despite her best efforts, didn't dim the light of feminism.

I loved this episode. Heck, I love ALL the episodes I've watched from this decade. Now I have to go watch the one on crimes and cults because I don't remember them covering Patty Hearst and her image is one of the first I see in the opening credits.

I have to admit it was shocking to see so much hate, bigotry and hypocrisy all covered behind a sweet smile and sweet voice as that of Anita Bryant. And she was an idiot. I rolled my eyes when she compared how a homosexual could become an "ex-homosexual" just like one can become an "ex-murderer." No. Once you're a murderer you still are a murderer.

I can't wait for the next one!

• Love 2

I wish I could remember who did a skit showing TV news anchors pronouncing every Spanish name and/or word with a latino accent.  They wondered why Irish names weren't given the same treatment, and provided a hilarious example of what that would sound like (lovely OTT old country pronunciations of names like O'Brien, Shaughnessy, etc).

It was Saturday Night Live.    It's kinda sad that I can't remember the birthdays of people I care about, but information like this is right there when I need it, lol.

I also wish to add that I think the world would be a far better place without Wolf Blitzer.

• Love 2
(edited)

Funny!  I'd forgotten about that skit. Thanks for providing this great video from the good old days of SNL.  But that's not the one.  I believe Wax Lion remembered which show it was on (a skit from In Living Color).  All I can remember is someone mentioning the name O'Brien with a very Irish accent.

Edited by annzeepark914

Alyson Camorata interviews Trump supporters in New Hampshire.

John McCain is right. They're nuts.

They babble on and on and lie and Alyson stares into space like a deer in the headlights.

• Love 1

Once they get a story in their teeth, they don't let go of it.  I'm surprised it isn't the missing airplane story again, considering they've found pieces.

Speak of the devil; I think they're back on the plane beat again.

• Love 2

I am almost glad that they have the plane to talk about (no disrespect to the families).  The all Trump coverage was very annoying.   Just because he allows interviews doesn't mean he should have them daily. I'm sure there is some actual news to cover somewhere. 

• Love 4

Speak of the devil; I think they're back on the plane beat again.

And they've already trotted out that annoying woman who lost her boyfriend.. Excuse me *partner* Sara something. She makes me stabby. She's one of the wackos who thanks the plane was landed somewhere and thinks he's still alive. And her use of the term partner for her boyfriend makes me want to smack her.

• Love 5
(edited)

"The all Trump coverage was very annoying. Just because he allows interviews doesn't mean he should have them daily. I'm sure there is some actual news to cover somewhere."

Does this mean that if Charles Manson granted daily interviews, would viewers be subjected to his delusional blathering, like we are to the bad hair candidate? (Kevin Nealon subliminal voice)...donaldtrump.

The ad nauseam coverage of the plane wreckage--part of one wing, big whoop--shouldn't be the dominant focus of the news.

Obsessing and speculating (take that, Richard Quest!) with outlandish scenarios only serves to make CNN the National Enquirer of broadcast news.

Speaking of Richard Quest, the man can suck the air of the room, can't he? Blah, blah, blah, phlegmy blah! I thought he was bad enough on that game show, but sheesh!

Edited by pandora spocks
  • Love 2

I don't know why CNN's insists on employing Quest.  He's just an overdramatic loud mouth.

However, I'm waiting for Miles O'Brien to punch him in the nose before I never see Quest on CNN again.

• Love 2

I don't know why CNN's insists on employing Quest.  He's just an overdramatic loud mouth.

However, I'm waiting for Miles O'Brien to punch him in the nose before I never see Quest on CNN again.

We can't stand Quest and quickly switch channels if he appears.  How in the world has he lasted so long on TV?  His voice is so loud & irritating.  Love Miles O'Brien!

• Love 1

The ad nauseam coverage of the plane wreckage--part of one wing, big whoop--shouldn't be the dominant focus of the news.

Actually, it is a pretty big deal.  Of course, these guys beat everything to death, but that doesn't change the importance of this discovery.

• Love 3

Actually, it is a pretty big deal.  Of course, these guys beat everything to death, but that doesn't change the importance of this discovery.

Agree here, especially when you consider just how long this plane has been missing.

So, I finally got to see the coverage of Patty Hearst in the latest episode, but they only spent, like, five minutes on it.  I would have liked to have seen a sound byte from Patty, just like they did with that woman who was part of the Weather Underground whatever...I mean, Patty is still among the living, right?

What I love about this series, is that it's making go back and research and find out more about the stuff that I wasn't really aware of--like most of the stuff covered this week, I was just a baby, except for the Iran Hostages. I was in the third and fourth grade.

And I got a little teary hearing Peter Jennings's voice during one of the reports. 

• Love 2

Maybe she doesn't do interviews. I thought I remembered hearing somewhere that she doesn't.

Point. Just like I suppose Woodward and Bernstein maybe didn't want to talk about Watergate? I'm more bummed over the latter than the former, actually.  Does anyone know if this series is available on dvd? I would really love to watch The Sixties. And of course, get The Seventies. It's like my new Crack or something. Until Outlander returns and I can swoon over Sam Hueghan again.

What?

"BREAKING NEWS!" 

I fall for it almost everytime and get mad at myself and CNN for abusing that headline.  A week after they found the flaperon from the aircraft they were still announcing it's find like it had happened 2 minutes ago.  I was tired of hearing Fredricka interrupt Johnny Rodrigues, I actually yelled STFU out loud twice!  LOL

• Love 2

Jeffrey Toobin has an unauthorized biography about Patty Hearst coming out, which has already been optioned for a film.  Hearst has refused to comment on the book or the movie.  She owns dogs which have appeared at, and won, the Westminster Dog Show.

• Love 1

Jeffrey Toobin has an unauthorized biography about Patty Hearst coming out, which has already been optioned for a film.  Hearst has refused to comment on the book or the movie.  She owns dogs which have appeared at, and won, the Westminster Dog Show.

Interesting, thanks!  I am sure Toobin's mother covered Hearst during that time and he has lots to share.

I haven't watched CNN's documentary about the '70s -- after living through that decade, I have no desire to experience it again.  But I flipped across CNN just now on the way to watch Rachel Maddow discussing Jon Stewart's last show & was pleased to see a shot of John Chancellor talking about some event.  I loved him when I was a teen & young adult, especially when he was arrested & literally carried away at the 1964 GOP convention ("This is John Chancellor, somewhere in custody.") -- in my regard, he was second only to David Brinkley, with whom I grew up.  There just isn't anyone like either of those guys in TV news today (as much as I love Anderson Cooper, whom I expect might agree with me).  I still don't think I can bear to watch these CNN documentaries, but it is nice to see here that many people are learning from them & I am glad that the network has made room for them.

• Love 2

I saw two minutes of a reality show with the description that meteorologists were competing for $100,000 and to deliver the weather on CNN. It looked like a head of household competition from Big Brother.  I'm embarrassed for them.

• Love 3

Next summer, CNN will trot out The Eighties for us nostalgia lovers. Who's looking forward to revisiting Gordon Gekko, Def Leppard, and Granada? Me?

I'm looking forward to their pop-culture segment with the "Where's the Beef?" Grandma.

Iran Contra...ugh

Then Reagan, Reagan Bush...double and treble ugh.  Wonder if they'll trot out Quayle's thinking Murphy Brown was a real person?

Ted Bundy...Pamela Smart...Challenger...

ETA:

Just saw this week's The Seventies. Ooooh, the music! John! Paul! And it's pronounced SHUN-KER NOT SHANCAR (for Ravi Shanker, who approached George Harrison to help out in Bangladesh).

I thought for sure they'd air Ringo singing that drug song  (whose title is escaping me)* but alas no. I was surprised there was no sound byte of Elvis's death.

And Young Michael!!! 

I won't like, I think I had a smile on my face during the whole episode, and then sad, because Michael, Marvin and Donna, along with John and George are no longer with us.

I got the goose pimplies when John started singing Imagine. I love that song.

I hope this wasn't the season finale? If so, nice bookend, as the first episode dealt with television pop-culture.

*No lie--I was so sheltered and ignorant when I was six or seven, and I had the 45 to that song and sang to it, with NO IDEA that Ringo was singing about Cocaine, and other drugs! I just loved the tune!

Oh and CNN will re-air Blackfish tomorrow night at 9:00 p.m. EST.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

I've been watching The Seventies the last few days and am just about at the end of the 8th episode. It has been very interesting, as I really didn't know much about that decade beyond the big events like Watergate and Jonestown. I feel like it's also given me more insight into my parents, as they were kids and teenagers in that decade.

• Love 3

I've been watching The Seventies the last few days and am just about at the end of the 8th episode. It has been very interesting, as I really didn't know much about that decade beyond the big events like Watergate and Jonestown. I feel like it's also given me more insight into my parents, as they were kids and teenagers in that decade.

I was in my 20's in the 70's and learned a lot I hadn't paid attention to then, was just too young.  It also brought back memories of sitting in line at midnight waiting for gas in North Carolina.  I loved the series but the music one was a bit of a disappointment.   

• Love 2