Type keyword(s) to search

This Is CNN (Vaulted)

15 hours ago, Padma said:

Don't forget Jeffrey Lord who gave us this:

"Lord’s comments came in response to a question from Stelter, who asked if Trump should 'be more careful' in his speeches, given that fact-checking is critical of Trump 'across the board.' 

'I honestly don’t think this "fact-checking" business ... is anything more than one more out of touch, elitist media-type thing,' Lord said. 'I don’t think people out here in America care. What they care about are what the candidates say.' "

Facts! So elitist! Unlike commentator blather.  Why CNN hires all these hacks is beyond me. Will they really lose ratings if they have analysts talking about issues and facts rather than feelings and opinions?  If "fact-checking is elitist" is true, then the dumbing-down of America is complete.

Shades of Herman Cain (aka Pizza Guy), who was annoyed that people criticized his lack of knowledge about Libya during the 2012 Presidential campaign:  "We need a leader, not a reader!".

(edited)

I really like Michael Smerconish on his radio show--he has passionate opinions, but they really do seem to come from a centrist and sensible perspective (or, at least, he leans just slightly left of center about as often as he leans just slightly right of center). But every time I see him on a prime-time panel on CNN, like on election nights, it seems they don't let him get a word in edgewise. Or maybe he lacks the instinct to push himself into the "look at me, look at me" blather. (Which of course is to his credit.) But I always wish they would go to him more.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 3

Agreed!  And Smerconish has a good show on CNN Saturdays!  That far seat on the panel seems to be the ignore seat!  I like how he gets to the point right away.  Gloria repeats what we just heard then repeats it again but hey let's ask Gloria first all the time, must be in her contract!  

• Love 1

Well. The Eighties was a bust for me.  Saw the last one "Tech Boom" and though it was interesting to see how Apple started...how Gates made his moolah, it was one giant snoozefest. Though. I will admit; Showing the Challenger tragedy brought it all back and made me cry.

Did I miss something, or did they not cover crime? Or the kind of crimes that seemed to permeate in this decade? Or other elections? It seemed that Reagan coverage just dominated. Though they show the DeLorean, I don't recall them covering the movies? Or Michael J. Fox's rise. It just seemed the topics chosen were covered very superfiically. I seem to recall the 60s and 70s had more substance.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Well. The Eighties was a bust for me.  Saw the last one "Tech Boom" and though it was interesting to see how Apple started...how Gates made his moolah, it was one giant snoozefest. Though. I will admit; Showing the Challenger tragedy brought it all back and made me cry.

Did I miss something, or did they not cover crime? Or the kind of crimes that seemed to permeate in this decade? Or other elections? It seemed that Reagan coverage just dominated. Though they show the DeLorean, I don't recall them covering the movies? Or Michael J. Fox's rise. It just seemed the topics chosen were covered very superfiically. I seem to recall the 60s and 70s had more substance.

Yes, the 60's and 70's were much better. I kind of hope they don't do the 90's now after this performance. They'd screw it up.

• Love 1
(edited)

Never thought I would be glad to see Wolf back but Brianna the "badger" needs a holiday if she thinks asking the exact same question 100x will get a different result! It became a war of wills yet she kept digging her heels in, these are the tough questions, a question of why did Trump change it?!  How does anyone know why Trump does anything so why badger your guests for his intentions??!  Waste of air time.  Hundreds have been murdered in the Middle East and this is their focus?! 

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
7 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Good news for me!!  My girl, Erica Hill, was filling in for Brooke Baldwin today & it looks like she'll be a permanent host on HLN/CNN.  Yay!!!

I remember liking her back in the day!  I wonder what timeslot she will have and will it be her own show or co-host?  Do you think she might be Michaela's replacement?  I don't know why one host gets 2 separate hours anyway like Carole Costello and Brooke Baldwin.  Wolf is at least split up and Anderson well he can have 3 hours if he wants!  LOL

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Chris Cuomo thought it would be appropriate to start his interview with the mother and fiancee of Philando Castile about the shootings of police officers in Dallas.  Even before talking about Philando.  What a moron.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/philando-castiles-mom-stunned-when-cnns-cuomo-asks-about-dallas-my-son-died-just-the-other-day/

The journalists are in the business of the sound bite that gets them the most attention and that gets them into trouble every time. 

This from my point of view, proves that black folks who are losing their lives in interactions with law enforcement aren't seen as being human. This young man couldn't even have the loving touch of his girlfriend nor her little girl as his life slipped away and they were sitting right there in the car with him. 

See Cuomo didn't care about that, he wants his sound bite, and to flame or rather frame the narrative the fighting for criminal justice is about hating law enforcement. The media needs to stop being complicit in this narrative, cut the shit out. I just heard the Mayor of Dallas speak, he covered all bases he was great, the entire prayer service with all the citizens there supporting law enforcement was great. But then we have the likes of Cuomo trying to fan flames and disrespect this mother in her time of grief.  Fact of the matter is, he didn't see her as a mother of son who just died violently, he didn't see her as a parent like he is. That's what his focus should have been on, not trying to what? Make it seem like her son's death was tied in any way to the senseless slaughter of police officers in Dallas. It wasn't, that murderer in Dallas should not be tied to the movement toward a better criminal justice system in any way.  Those citizens as has been reported had planned that peaceful assembly with their police officers. The officers were there hand in hand, taking selfies with some of the protesters. The media is turning into a whoring, money grubbing reality show. They need to cut it out. 

He gets on my nerves, the very sound of his voice bugs half the time. But I really can't take Morning Joe at all, so I end up watching this idiot in the morning, until I can switch to Rolland Martin over at TVOne.

Edited by represent
  • Love 8

Chris Cuomo always reminds me of how much better Anderson Cooper is at doing a good job under horrible circumstances while still being a kind person.

• Love 6

^^^ I heard that and could not believe I heard that. It even gave Hillary pause. Wolf, really??? 

But at least one of their rather limited brain trust managed to pin down the Lt. Gov. on exactly what he meant when he called the Dallas protesters hypocrites. They're now "ironic". Making words dance...

There is no place to get real news anymore. Frustrating!

• Love 4
(edited)
15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Wolf says to Hillary:  "What would you do to stop this kind of thing from happening when you're President?"  Really Wolf, really.  STFU ... you're an idiot.

Hear Hear!!!  

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Katydid said:

I'm not sure why they feel the need for the Paul Ryan Town Hall, and even less sure why they need the countdown clock for it. 

I loathe Paul Ryan as much as the next man, but the reason for the attention could be because his re-election this year is actually in doubt! (He faces an unusually effective primary challenger.)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Katydid said:

I'm not sure why they feel the need for the Paul Ryan Town Hall, and even less sure why they need the countdown clock for it. 

Well, Trump isn't out there giving speeches 24/7 (although CNN is running snippets all day long) so they have to get their Republican propaganda out there somehow.

• Love 4
(edited)

I spent most of last night in the emergency room after Mr Rat fell and broke his wrist.  As if waiting two hours before he could even get an X-ray wasn't excruciating enough,  the hospital had the ER waiting room monitors on CNN- two hours of Paul Ryan followed by another hour of Corey Lewandowski - then repeating again!  How does anyone SIT through this scheiss who isn't trapped in a hospital waiting room???!!!??  Thank god I brought a book -if only I could have worn earplugs, but I had to listen for the doctors' calling for us.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I spent most of last night in the emergency room after Mr Rat fell and broke his wrist.  As if waiting two hours before he could even get an X-ray wasn't excruciating enough,  the hospital had the ER waiting room monitors on CNN- two hours of Paul Ryan followed by another hour of Corey Lewandowski - then repeating again!  How does anyone SIT through this scheiss who isn't trapped in a hospital waiting room???!!!??  Thank god I brought a book -if only I could have worn earplugs, but I had to listen for the doctors' calling for us.

I am so sorry for Mr. Rat's wrist and the ER visit!  Hope he heals fast!  I have to say, when trapped like that (ER or airport), I like the white noise of CNN or ESPN (and I do not follow the sports!) -- but I get what you are saying.  There is really nothing they can show that would not be problematic to someone.  I guess be thankful it was not FoxNews?  That would be popular in many parts of the country! 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 minutes ago, jjj said:

I am so sorry for Mr. Rat's wrist and the ER visit!  Hope he heals fast!  I have to say, when trapped like that (ER or airport), I like the white noise of CNN or ESPN (and I do not follow the sports!) -- but I get what you are saying.  There is really nothing they can show that would not be problematic to someone.  I guess be thankful it was not FoxNews?  That would be popular in many parts of the country! 

Thank you, I think he's going to be okay.  And I know they have to choose something kind of neutral that isn't going to lapse into hours of informercials in the wee small hours.  Though  I would have preferred ESPN big time since they would have covered the All-Star Game. 

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone else think that GWB's behavior at the Memorial Service was beyond inappropriate & the Chief of Police's speech totally weird & out-of-place for that kind of ceremony???

I commented on this over on the MSNBC thread, but no one followed up, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought GWB was acting very odd at the end.  I did not hear the GWB speech, but saw him during the performance of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (which was beautiful).  During the song, he was swinging his arms back and forth, and marching in place a little, and grinning throughout, like a kid on a parade route.  I think Michelle Obama detached her hand from his at some point during that. Joe Biden put his head very low, and seemed to be trying to be in a different place.  (Did not get to hear the Chief of Police talking.) 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, jjj said:

I commented on this over on the MSNBC thread, but no one followed up, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought GWB was acting very odd at the end.  I did not hear the GWB speech, but saw him during the performance of the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" (which was beautiful).  During the song, he was swinging his arms back and forth, and marching in place a little, and grinning throughout, like a kid on a parade route.  I think Michelle Obama detached her hand from his at some point during that. Joe Biden put his head very low, and seemed to be trying to be in a different place.  (Did not get to hear the Chief of Police talking.) 

My bold.  Here's what he said, for those interested:

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/david-brown-watch-video-stevie-wonder-speech-standing-ovation-dallas-police-chief-memorial-quotes-you-tube/

I would be interested in feedback.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think his entire speech was directed toward the families. He wasn't even speaking to the rest of the cops in the audience, he seemed like he only wanted to speak to them.  He was basically saying that his love and support would be with them always via the lyrics of a Stevie Wonder song.  I chalk it up to him trying to be poetic to express feelings of love. I didn't find it weird for him to express love and support toward the families since I've always gotten the impression that people in law enforcement and their families are very close. I mean when you think about it, he must feel like shit. He probably feels responsible that he OK'd his officers to be out there without all the shielding they needed, even though the police and protesters in Dallas seemed to have a good relationship and didn't foresee this maniac.... They weren't prepared, they had nothing.  Poor guy still must feel like damn, it's on me.

That being said, he definitely doesn't have a problem expressing himself in other scenarios without the use of lyrics. He has been very detailed and direct during all of the briefings with reporters. But this time it was about expressing love, and he prefaced his speech by saying that he has never been good with words and that in order to express his love for girls he would have to resort to using song lyrics; so he would do the same to express his love for the families. That's how understood it, even though I found it a bit weird. 

Then he just ended with the lyrics and introduced the president and it wasn't a smooth transition into the introduction. I was like what? He's done and the president is at the podium?

Oh, and I found Bush Jr.'s speech to be pretty good, it was moving, personal. The swinging of the hands was weird, but it seemed like he started to swing them during the more up tempo sections of the song. He  did look like a child to me, a child that could no longer take the somber mood and was happy to hear the song. It was bit much but...

Edited by represent
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Did anyone else think that GWB's behavior at the Memorial Service was beyond inappropriate & the Chief of Police's speech totally weird & out-of-place for that kind of ceremony???

I heard about GWB but I missed that part and haven't seen the video yet.  However, I commented about the Chief of Police's speech and I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was weird and out of place.  I can understand him being emotional because of losing his men, but he just came off as unhinged.  I thought the Stevie Wonder stuff was inappropriate. 

• Love 1

The Dallas Chief of Police always makes me uncomfortable, like someone on a tightrope. I want him to lead well, keep it together, and get good comments, but he always seems like it could go badly at any minute. Hopefully, he'll be out of the spotlight now, things will normalize and he'll get some rest.

As for GWB, that was super-weird. Did he forget it was a memorial? I saw some defending him for "feeling the music" and not being uptight like a lot of white people. Don't know about that. What I -do- like about the video is the Obamas. Michelle is oblivious for a surprisingly long time that he's pumping her hand up and down and her reaction when she realizes is just so real. Nice.  But its the president I liked the best. When he realizes GWB is singing, he joins in, too, I think to relieve any awkwardness. And after looking surprised at his "dancing", Obama just smiles a little, so indulgent, like "Oh, that's just George doing his thing." You could see the two of them (first couple) as such great parents. They seemed to get into that mode, non-judgmental and supportive and not easily embarrassed by a "child's" innocently inappropriate behavior.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bushs-awkward-swaying-dallas-draws-social-media-reaction-155107844.html?ref=gs

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 4:51 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Me too. The last two were so good. I can't believe how badly they messed up the Eighties. They should have stuck with what they did with Sixties and Seventies.  I really thought if anything, it would be longer then the last two series because there was so much they could have covered and tons of footage they could pull from. No crime, no movies.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:46 AM, jjj said:

That is just...just....nope, words fail.

Today, MSNBC was on as the Trump-Pence announcement (originally supposed to be a "press conference" but I guess no one remembered. After all, that was yesterday) ended.  Chris Matthews began with his working class memories, somehow seeing the common "everyman" in Pence and I turned to CNN.

There, everyone was just repeating parts of the speech. Okay, but isn't there any analysis anymore? Oh, wait, here it is.  Blitzer is going to ask "Trump supporter (and CNN commentator) Kayleigh Mc" a question. Maybe it will be about the differences between these two on TPP, free trade, marriage equality, etc. 

Blitzer: "How do you think Donald Trump did?"

Kayleigh: (well, I'll leave you in suspense as to what she might have answered to this.)

Why, why, why is this a thing on news channels? Who ever decided that these campaign lackeys should be included in news shows and WHY????  They are there to spin for the candidate, period, and provide absolutely nothing of value. Truly nothing. Maybe less than nothing, as they often support a candidate's lies and misrepresent critical points. And many of them are paid for it.

It's disgraceful to see what passes for television "journalism" now. No wonder polls show that so many Americans don't believe in evolution or global climate change and still think President Obama is a Muslim, born in Kenya.  Cable news, with its "he said/she said" format makes everything seem a question of opinion, "just choose which side you want to believe."

• Love 15

Did anyone watch the interview last night with Don Lemon and Sheriff David Clarke... just wow?   I don't know how to insert the clip, but it's all over the internet this morning.   I really don't like Don Lemon at all.  

8 hours ago, MissT said:

Did anyone watch the interview last night with Don Lemon and Sheriff David Clarke... just wow?   I don't know how to insert the clip, but it's all over the internet this morning.   I really don't like Don Lemon at all.  

I watched a small piece of it after it started.  It was at the point prior to the big blow up, I think.  Don was contradicting the Sheriff about some report, because Don knows everything about everything.   

A pity that a network the likes of CNN has to constantly turn to the Trump Val Gals and their expert analysis.

Today Val Gal and now also total bitch, Scottie Nells Hughes, who always refers to her daddy figure, as Mr. Trump, does not think that Hillary affords the same respect and courtesy.  She also thinks it cute to demean Senator Kaine's Spanish by questioning, "will I have to bring out my Dora the Explorer?". Whatever that means.   And suggests that the Mrs. Trump could start speaking one of her five languages, because everyone in American would probably understand her?

The true colors of these people is insane.

• Love 6

I can't either. They really have some awful commentators.

Watching Blitzer interviewing this afternoon brought home to me what I hate about cable news. They bring in a professional (maybe a reporter or, for example, someone knowledgable about Russian espionage techniques as today), and get the kinds of explanations that genuinely add to our understanding.

Then, without missing a bit, the anchor (Blitzer in this one, but others do it, too) turns to a political hack for comment. In this case, it was Jeffrey Lord. Later it was Hughes. Then Manafort.  What they do is give ZERO insight or factual information. They just spin the opportunity to say something positive about their candidate.

Whether they say something true or false (often false, or simply spin), the anchor treats it with the same respect as he did the comments from the experts. It's maddening in that it makes it seem "spin" and "fact" are all the same and should get the same credibility, attention and respect. No wonder polls continue to show the dumbing down of America!

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Padma said:

... Whether they say something true or false (often false, or simply spin), the anchor treats it with the same respect as he did the comments from the experts. It's maddening in that it makes it seem "spin" and "fact" are all the same and should get the same credibility, attention and respect. No wonder polls continue to show the dumbing down of America! ...

I know what you mean, but it really is the audience's job to weigh & measure what we hear -- just as each member of a jury must decide for himself/herself how much weight to give the testimony of each witness, without being influenced by the lawyers for either side.

A journalist (as distinct from an editorialist, such as those on MSNBC) can ask follow-up questions to clarify points, but should not assess the content for the audience.  Granted, CNN's anchors say "We'll have to leave it there!" far more often than they ask guests to explain or clarify their statements, & that is a dereliction of their duty as journalists.  Nevertheless, it's still up to me to decide how much credence I want to give each speaker, without Blitzer or anyone else substituting his/her own judgment for mine.

The "dumbing down of America" is real, but it's the result of audiences failing to question the sources of our information.  Anderson Cooper has pointed out that we must always ask where our news comes from -- who's saying it, how knowledgeable is the speaker, & does the speaker have some kind of agenda?  Modern audiences may be too lazy to do this, but there's no point in following the news at all if we're not going to work at understanding what it means.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, 3pwood said:

I know what you mean, but it really is the audience's job to weigh & measure what we hear -- just as each member of a jury must decide for himself/herself how much weight to give the testimony of each witness, without being influenced by the lawyers for either side.

A journalist (as distinct from an editorialist, such as those on MSNBC) can ask follow-up questions to clarify points, but should not assess the content for the audience.  Granted, CNN's anchors say "We'll have to leave it there!" far more often than they ask guests to explain or clarify their statements, & that is a dereliction of their duty as journalists.  Nevertheless, it's still up to me to decide how much credence I want to give each speaker, without Blitzer or anyone else substituting his/her own judgment for mine.

Guess it's one of those "agree to disagree" things then. Because I think there should be a sense of tv journalism (like responsible print journalists) that there is such a thing as a "fact" and you shouldn't treat spin as if its equal to something that's actually true. In print, journalists quote people and it goes through an editor. On television, anyone can claim anything it seems and rarely is it fact-checked. (I DID love Cuomo last week essentially calling Manafort out for continuing to lie about the plagiarism, but that rarely rarely happens).

What's that saying? You can have your own (something) but you can't have your own facts. I don't think the audience has the background and knowledge to weigh and measure what they hear on these shows. I miss the rigorous separation of fact from opinion--that now its often just a great big homogeneous mess (and people don't--can't, imo--separate what's true and what isn't and just wind up accepting whatever comments they like best.)

• Love 17

Wondering if they're going to actually show any of the speeches or just rehash the "omg! scandal!!!" conversation all night long. They finally cut to a speaker and she got out 2 sentences before they cut back to discussion. 

18 hours ago, Padma said:

Guess it's one of those "agree to disagree" things then. Because I think there should be a sense of tv journalism (like responsible print journalists) that there is such a thing as a "fact" and you shouldn't treat spin as if its equal to something that's actually true. In print, journalists quote people and it goes through an editor. On television, anyone can claim anything it seems and rarely is it fact-checked. (I DID love Cuomo last week essentially calling Manafort out for continuing to lie about the plagiarism, but that rarely rarely happens).

What's that saying? You can have your own (something) but you can't have your own facts. I don't think the audience has the background and knowledge to weigh and measure what they hear on these shows. I miss the rigorous separation of fact from opinion--that now its often just a great big homogeneous mess (and people don't--can't, imo--separate what's true and what isn't and just wind up accepting whatever comments they like best.)

I agree with both of the thoughts. They fill time with these political operatives, they sometime push back against spin and lies but "have to leave it there" when the segment ends. 

The bottom line for me is that CNN is not a political news station but a news station.

I wish they would cover the political stories with expert or journalists and then spend the rest of the time covering some of the many many other interesting stories going on in the country and world at any given time!!!!

CNN has become a one trick pony. One story at a time. Politics with paid hacks  ad nauseum broken up only by coverage of the latest mass shooting. The  USA Today does better for gods sake. 

• Love 5