Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: The Source

I've said it before but this show is wonderful at casting, Teddy and Big Ted are so much alike.

When Ted Sr. said to Janet something like "it's not the same", it left me confused. Was he referring to Teddy and Tawny's marriage ending like Ted's marriage to his first wife?

I hope I can be a mom like Janet to my child.

And until next season, "see you in the funny papers"....

Edited by Armchair Critic
  • Love 5

I thought Ted's Sr.s "not the same" was referencing Teddy moving in vs Daniel moving in.

Sometimes this show is so slow that I forget what happened previously. I feel like season one was a million years ago. Trey was telling the truth, right? About George killing himself?

• Love 4

Sad episode but at least Trey got arrested.  And Senator Stroke Me Stroke Me looks to be the next to have the skeletons wrenched from his closet.  Now we got to wait for next summer :(

Well, back to Under the Dome.

• Love 2

When Ted Sr. said to Janet something like "it's not the same", it left me confused. Was he referring to Teddy and Tawny's marriage ending like Ted's marriage to his first wife?

I thought Ted was comparing his and Janet's marriage to Teddy & Tawney's. While both couples are having problems, Ted thinks he and Janet can work through theirs.

But so many lines on this show are ambiguous.

Trey was telling the truth, right? About George killing himself?

George shot himself, and Trey pushed him in the river a week later.

Edited by editorgrrl

We actually saw George shoot himself in the first episode, I believe, but I know I didn't know (or care about) the character and forgot all about it. 

No, I think "not the same" was about Janet letting Teddy stay in the house now that Daniel's not going to be there ... I took Ted's "not the same" to mean that all was not "forgiven or forgotten" ... but then the absolute weirdness that Ted was staying at his son's, but Teddy never told him that Tawny was moving back into the house and he -- Teddy -- was moving out ... Note that Janet never ordered either of them out of the house ... she just said if they had problems with Daniel staying there, they could find somewhere else to stay for the time being -- what was it 2 days??  And Amantha had no idea that Tawny and Teddy were separated ... Am I correct to think she also knows nothing about Daniel's attack on Teddy  (guessing no one was going to tell her unless it was about to become public / charges filed). 

Edited by SusanSunflower

I guess I was wrong about what it meant when Ted said "not the same."  When Janet said she didn't have a problem with Teddy staying at the house, I figured she was sort of implying that Ted had a problem when Daniel stayed there. His "not the same" meant (to me) the circumstances were different, and it wasn't fair to say that.  But I'll have to go back and see it again.

What a damn beautiful episode. That scene with Tawney and Daniel was everything. I was holding my breath...  well, for pretty much the whole episode, but that scene in particular was lovely.

Six Feet Under is still my all-time fave, but this one is coming real close.

• Love 3

I'm not sure I'm correct ... I just felt like Ted hadn't really gotten over her giving them an ultimatum .... her "letting" Teddy stay there didn't make things all-okay ... 

The scene with Ted and Teddy in the kitchen was really intense ... Ted seems to me to be a terrible coward wrt to saying things that need to be said ... He consistently demonized Teddy's mother as if the breakup was all her fault ... and suddenly ... 20 years later, he admit to his son that he was seeing someone else, his mother's problems had long preexisted the breakup, he hadn't helped her as he might have, etc. etc.  -- it was wrenching to see Teddy process his father unloading all this 'new information" when he had -- as he said -- lived in terror that Tawny would "just leave" like his mother had done ... 

Ted has seemed like a stand-up guy ... but his inability to converse with Janet and dropping this bombshell on Teddy make me see him in a new light.... and it's been clear that Teddy has never -- even as a child -- considered him a someone safe to talk to ... although that exact dynamic has not been spelled out ... 

• Love 2

Trey: "You never even had any kettle corn."

Gotta love the poetic justice of Trey being arrested for a murder he didn't commit.  All he had to do was not be an egomaniacal asswipe and he could have gone on with his life. But no. Bullying Daniel's already tortured soul was a warped obsession he just couldn't resist.

So glad the sheriff got his act together and cleared Daniel. And I had a notion that the Senator was involved in the Hanna cover up all along. Get him, Jon.

Damn, this was a fine hour of television.

• Love 12

Lots and lots more story to tell -- if Janet and Big Ted stay together, if Tawnie and Daniel can be together, Jon's crusade against the senator, Trey's trial for George's murder.  There for a while I was worried that Daniel wouldn't come out of the ocean.  I loved his comment to Janet about never having a roommate before and now having to work on his interpersonal skills.  

Edited by 33kaitykaity
  • Love 5

When Trey and the cops were out by the river, what was it that made them arrest him right on the spot?

I thought Sheriff Carl Daggett had decided the night before that Trey killed George. This trip was due diligence looking for any evidence supporting Trey's version of events. When no bullet was found, Carl charged Trey.

But as I said above regarding the scene between Ted and Janet, so much of this show is ambiguous. After three full seasons (22 episodes), I still don't know if Daniel killed Hanna Dean. So I could be completely wrong about everything.

During the scene between Tawney and Daniel, my mind changed at least three times about what was going on.

Trey: "You never even had any kettle corn."

Gotta love the poetic justice of Trey being arrested for a murder he didn't commit. All he had to do was not be an egomaniacal asswipe and he could have gone on with his life. But no. Bullying Daniel's already tortured soul was a warped obsession he just couldn't resist.

Daniel getting in his own way has been part & parcel of this show, but I never realized that Trey was doing it, too. (Perhaps because he's so unsympathetic.) Now I need to look for it in the other characters.

That's one of the things I love about this place. All y'all are so smart, and make me see things in a whole nother way.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 6

Did anyone else really hope we'd get a Kerwin flashback?

Definitely. I kinda forgot about it though after Tawney's dream of visiting Daniel in prison. It was so poignant and hit such a Kerwin-like note.  There were so many good, much-needed interactive moments, it's like they crafted all the things that work into this episode. I might call it overkill it if I hadn't enjoyed it so much.

Yes, Kerwin should reappear next season.

• Love 1

I thought Sheriff Carl Daggett had decided the night before that Trey killed George. This trip was due diligence looking for any evidence supporting Trey's version of events. When no bullet was found, Carl charged Trey.

That's how I saw it as well. Even the metal detector Trey requested found nothing. I'm blanking on George's gun all of a sudden. Did Trey also toss that in the water?

• Love 2

What a damn beautiful episode. That scene with Tawney and Daniel was everything. I was holding my breath...  well, for pretty much the whole episode, but that scene in particular was lovely.

Daniel and Tawney have amazing chemistry with each other on all levels.

I'm writing a script in my head that will have them together at some point in the future.

First Daniel needs learn to live with a roommate

• Love 3

I'm blanking on George's gun all of a sudden. Did Trey also toss that in the water?

During the interrogation, Trey pointed to a photo of George's gun. So I think it's in police custody. Trey kept George's gun, wallet, phone, and keys when he pushed the body in the river.

I think the bullet passed through George's body, so they were looking for it at the river to compare it to George's gun.

• Love 1

Definitely. I kinda forgot about it though after Tawney's dream of visiting Daniel in prison.

Was that Tawney's dream?  I thought it was Daniel's daydream, because of the prison setting.  Would Tawney dream of a prison visit, instead of a walk in the woods, or something romantic, pastoral?  I was surprised when it was over, seeing Tawney wake up.  I'd like to think it was a mutual dream, a spiritual connection.

• Love 4

I thought it was Daniel's daydream, too, while swimming in the ocean. But it could have been Tawney's dream.  Kind of reminded me a bit of the "Ecotone" episode on Six Feet Under, when David and Nate seemed to share the same dream, just before Nate flatlined.

• Love 1
There for a while I was worried that Daniel wouldn't come out of the ocean

When they went into the dream sequence I was so worried that Daniel was letting himself be pulled under and Janet would have to witness her son drowning. Then I was surprised that it seemed to be Tawney who was dreaming that.

• Love 4

Thanks for clearing that up for me, editorgrrl!

Yes, thank you too, Editor Girl!

I was so glad to see Jared having some family time with his siblings. I've been worried about him that something would happen when no one was paying him any attention.

I, too, was afraid Daniel was going to drown. Glad that was Tawney's dream sequence and not his ascent to the afterlife!

Watching Daniel walk into the house of Canaan from him mom's pov made me give up the tears. Like the first day of kindergarten.

The senator has to be complicit in this. I wonder how deep it goes? Could he have raped Hanna or killed her?

• Love 2

Was that Tawney's dream?  I thought it was Daniel's daydream, because of the prison setting.  Would Tawney dream of a prison visit, instead of a walk in the woods, or something romantic, pastoral?  I was surprised when it was over, seeing Tawney wake up.  I'd like to think it was a mutual dream, a spiritual connection.

I think this was one of the most genius moves I've seen on television this year. 

First of all the actual dialogue was almost exactly the analysis I'd made of their connection, and it's nice to know I'm not crazy and this is intended. "You've told me too much, Daniel [...] You're the false prophet." Second is how it's left unclear who's dreaming, if it's only one or if it's both. This touches on the metaphysical without confirming its existence in a way few shows manage to pull off. It's almost a Rectify trademark - the meld of agnosticism, scepticism and deep faith.

If it's Daniel's dream, and Daniel's dream alone, there is nothing supernatural about it at all - but at the same time, the things that Daniel are saying are more like bordering on something that Tawney would think that he'd say, and what he's doing is more like something Tawney would hope that he would do. If it's really Tawney's daydream, given her mentioning him at the beach, well, then at least Tawney's psychic. Also, the things Tawney said to Daniel weren't things he would know, like being lost and feeling terribly alone, plus the reverent yet accusing tone... I'm not sure, but I don't feel like Daniel would give himself that much credit, or really knowing what an impact he's had on her life.

The second part I write as an unashamed Daniel slash Tawney shipper.

First a detour. I think people are far too quick to make excuses about these things - I see stuff like "not to delve into 'shipping territory', but..." all the time. Coming at stuff from a "shipping perspective", at core, is simply to be motivated to watch the show for the character interactions, and there is nothing wrong with that. Television has evolved over the last decade. I think Ian Somerhalder - "Damon" on TVD - had a point when he said that "shipping is sort of a new phenomenon", but he didn't delve into it. The reason it is a new phenomenon is that television shows have progressed from being almost exclusively plot-driven to be more and more character-driven, and have finally ventured out of the realm of "45 minute movie" by abandoning the episodic approach in favor of story and character arcs. One example of the former would be Star Trek, and one example of the latter would be Babylon 5.

Now as a fan of Daniel and Tawney... in a sense, I was obviously disappointed that we had literally zero interaction between them this season, but when I look over the six episodes, I see that this was absolutely needed. They both need to come to terms with what has happened to them, and at the same time, the "dream conversation" in the final episode shows us that... this is far from over, and may in fact be a way to set them up for coming together in a more meaningful and healthy way over season four. And of course, that makes me very happy.

Edited by Telepath
  • Love 8

This was a gorgeous finale.  I loved how they touched on all of these relationships and brought Daniel to a better place.  I love that the dream seemed to be Daniels, then turned out to be Tawney's...or perhaps what we saw was a mashup of Daniel's daydream and her dream...either way it was fantastic.  I think seeing Daniel going through that program for awhile next season will be good, even if he ends up exonerated and back in Pawley at some point, they can split up the narrative for now. 

Trey is getting what he deserved, it was quite stupid to not see a lawyer, but instead to lead the cops directly to the scene of the crime (and he did commit many crimes, in addition to likely murdering Hanna--we didn't see the cops examine that hair band of hers that he kept in the shed...)  I loved how the lawyer revealed that he's not just going away to Boston and leaving the case behind, though the scene was disturbing.

• Love 2

Wow, what an intense hour!

I hate that Trey was arrested for George's murder. Daggett really does seem to be trying to run a clean, thorough investigation, and he seems to be pretty good at his job. Same with Ms. Person. But they're STILL getting everything wrong and railroading a man who didn't commit the crime.

The way that Trey is getting railroaded is making me see the Hannah Dean investigation in a different light. Jon coming down so hard on the Senator, and the Sheriff and DA privately lambasting the old investigators/investigation, might not be so justified. I mean, in twenty years, it could just as easily be Trey on death row and another Innocence Project lawyer and Sheriff and DA lambasting Daggett and Ms. Person. It could just as easily be newly!exonerated!Trey trying to adjust to life in the free world after twenty years in prison. We don't know if Daniel is innocent of killing Hannah Dean, but we know for certain that Trey didn't kill George.

Trey is much more of a smug, creepy asshole than Daniel is. It's tough to feel sympathetic toward him imo. But watching an innocent man get condemned for a crime he didn't commit is still terrifying.

Anyway! Amantha and Teddy's scenes were wonderful. I love how brotherly/sisterly they were. It was also kind of hilarious to me when Amantha came in to check on Jared and was shocked to hear low-key country music coming from Daniel's room. Then opened the door to see Teddy looking like an overgrown Wally Cleaver reading that magazine on his old twin bed. I guess that's how it was when Teddy moved in the first time! Out goes mysterious, tragic, shaman-like Daniel, and in comes....Teddy. Who is probably the least mysterious, tragic, or shaman-like character imaginable. No wonder Amantha was shocked!

Oh, and about Ted Sr. saying "it's not the same":  I originally thought that Ted Sr could either be saying that him leaving his house/marriage wasn't the same as Teddy leaving his house/marriage, *or* that he knows that Janet having her stepson back home isn't the same as her having her "real" son back home. But in light of Ted Sr talking to Teddy about how he'd basically already moved on from his marriage to Margret even before she left, I wonder if Ted Sr was talking about how what's going on between him and Janet now isn't the same as what went on between him and Margret back then (since back then, I guess he basically gave up on the marriage and then his wife left town for good -- and him moving out and Janet leaving town does seem sorta similar). What makes me wonder if Ted Sr was comparing his first marriage to his second marriage is mostly because I assume that Janet was that "other woman" who he leaned on even before Margaret left. And also because he clearly is caught up in thinking about whether his marriage to Janet is falling apart, so I would think that how his marriage to Margaret fell apart is probably on his mind.

I mean, when Teddy said that he'd spent his whole marriage worried that Tawney would leave like Margaret had, I was thinking, "OK, then I bet Ted Sr is really nervous about his second wife leaving town like his first wife did!" (Except at least this wife took her son with her? LOL). Teddy isn't the only one who had to have gone through the wringer when Ted Sr and Margaret broke up. I know it's probably unrealistic, but I'm pretty curious to "meet" Margaret now. Teddy is also so brittle with basically everyone but Amantha (and sometimes Ted Sr) that I'm pretty curious to see how he in particular would act around Margaret, too.

Oh, and that's also why I loved Amantha and Teddy's scenes and love their scenes together in general -- Teddy is so much calmer and more frank around Amantha than he is around anyone else, and Amantha is so "older sister"-y and effortlessly in charge around him. Idk, it's not that they have a good relationship per se or are close at all. They just seem more natural around each other than either of them do around really anyone else. It was always kind of strange to me when Amantha would "mother hen" Daniel, like when she'd call him sweetie or buddy or want to take him on random day trips around Paulie or tell Jon (or whoever) that she thinks it's adorable to see Daniel rocking out to old music and just sitting around staring into space and thinking. But I guess Amantha is actually used to being the older sister, not the younger one. And when she acts like the older sister with Teddy (or Jared), it seems really natural and normal. (Same as when she acts like the younger sister with Daniel, it seems pretty natural and normal, imo, too -- like how she shrieked and ran off with the fritters at the motel). What I mean by "acting like the older sister" is stuff like, when she was giving Teddy permission to finish the pork, and teasing him about being a redneck/coarse, and telling him he did a good job on the kitchen. That all seemed really sweet and nurturing to me without seeming like she was trying to awkwardly be a "mother hen." And Teddy also defers to her pretty naturally without it seeming like the weird try-hard "ingratiating" sales act he usually puts on with all the other characters. How he defers to Amantha is so much easier to watch than that whole "aw shucks" thing he does with Janet, for sure. The kind of stuff I mean when I say he "defers" to her is stuff like, how he actually did then take the pork after she gave him permission to. Or how he couldn't stop himself from smiling when she said he did a good job on the kitchen, like getting praise from her meant something (ETA:  just re-watched and I misremembered -- he was happy like that when she said she was giving the little mechanic figurine back to the tire store "where he belongs"). Or like how way back in the first season when Teddy and Tawney were fixing to leave that family Welcome Home Daniel! party, and Teddy started asking Amantha whether the party was finished and if it was OK for him to go (and Amantha started snapping at him to use his common sense LOL).

I guess part of what I like about how Teddy responds to Amantha in particular is that he seems to trust her more than he does pretty much any of the other characters, and will take what she says at face value. With literally all the other characters, it seems like he's constantly searching for the subtext or ulterior motive to what they're saying/doing, and there's always a subtext or ulterior motive to what he's saying/doing, too. He's suspicious and manipulative. That doesn't really rub me the wrong way (YMMV), but it can still get pretty exhausting to watch. With Amantha, he's muuuuuuuch more direct and apparently trusts her to be direct, too. It's refreshing to see that imo. And I like how direct Amantha is in general, so it's nice to see another character on screen appreciate that about her, too :)

A small touch that I liked in this episode was Amantha referring to Ted Sr as "Big Ted." That cracked me up. I mean, I guess it's normal and I've heard that before irl, but it just sounded so country and random when she called him that. Apparently, Teddy is a terrible influence on Amantha! I really can't imagine her calling him "Big Ted" to anyone else but him. And to think, she was making fun of Jon when he said "yup" and "sure." She's been in Paulie too long. :P

By the way -- is it normal that Ted Sr refers to Margaret as "Margaret" to Teddy? Just a random little detail, and not really that important. I was just wondering about it because I would expect her to be referred to as "momma" or something (my father *still* refers to my mother as "mommy" when he's talking to me and I'm pushing thirty, LOL) but maybe it's actually normal that he would refer to her by name instead? Also, I guess Ted Sr usually refers to Janet as "mom" to the kids, so he wouldn't refer to Margaret that way, too?

I thought it was Daniel's daydream, too, while swimming in the ocean. But it could have been Tawney's dream.  Kind of reminded me a bit of the "Ecotone" episode on Six Feet Under, when David and Nate seemed to share the same dream, just before Nate flatlined.

I thought it was Tawney's dream. It seemed like Daniel was sort of a messianic figure in the dream, with the glowing white lights and Tawney beseeching him for help, and her wondering if he was a false prophet, and all that, and I just can't imagine Daniel seeing himself that way. I also can't really imagine Daniel seeing Tawney as lost or so wretched. But in Tawney's point of view, I think the idea of Daniel as a prophet and Tawney as a lost soul both make sense.

I think, to Tawney, Daniel's years in prison were sort of like Jesus's time in the wilderness. I think she's still trying to find meaning in the suffering. I don't think Daniel thinks of those years as having purified him at all, though. He said before that he's less than he used to be, and I think he thinks of it more as having broken him.

But I do think that Tawney "gets" Daniel pretty well, and that they really are on the same wavelength. And I think that the dream, and how close it was to dreams/visions that Daniel has had in the past, showed that very well, too.

When Tawney and Daniel are together, it does seem like something special to me. I love seeing them together. But their connection just doesn't seem romantic to me. It seems more cult-y. Or like they're liable to fall into a folie a duex. If they got together, I feel like they would form this whole little world unto themselves and lose touch with reality.

Watching Daniel walk into the house of Canaan from him mom's pov made me give up the tears. Like the first day of kindergarten.

So exactly right!

Edited by rue721
  • Love 6

What a damn beautiful episode. That scene with Tawney and Daniel was everything. I was holding my breath...  well, for pretty much the whole episode, but that scene in particular was lovely.

I was bent over on the sofa holding my breath too. I think that was probably the most lovely amazing scene I've even watched between Daniel and Tawney. 

I also loved Teddy's and Amantha's chemistry. All the stuff they carried around (Teddy's anger and frustration, Amantha's brittleness) was all gone and they were brother and sister just playing cards and eating Chinese food. I noticed they didn't want the other brother (lost his name at this moment) interfering. 

Edited by ItsHelloPattiagain

Two questions, one trivial, the other not:

1. We still don't know for certain who murdered Hanna, right?  We don't know that it wasn't Daniel, and we don't know that it was, correct?

2. Jon's parting insult to the senator--"I hope your house has termites"--Was that a generic parting insult or does it have specific significance to our story and characters?
  • Love 2

I lost count how many times I teared up. Wonderful finale. Good setup for the next season.

The goodbyes betw Daniel, Amantha, and Jon were maybe my first cry. Daniel in the field looking at the prison from the outside was probably my second, quickly followed by his telling Janet that he's thought about asking to go back inside to his cocoon. Then the mention of Kerwin. Then Tawney's dream. Then Daniel saying goodbye to his mother. Shit, this show. 

Love the scene with the fritters. Loved Daniel telling Janet, "Mother, I know that day is coming, my first google." Love the whole thing with Trey getting arrested for George's "murder." Yes, it's wrong -- maybe a future job for Jon? -- but man is it satisfying. A Snickers moment!

Love when the senator says, "Over. My. Dead. Body," because that just reminded me not to feel too much pity for him.

Ted seems to me to be a terrible coward wrt to saying things that need to be said ... He consistently demonized Teddy's mother as if the breakup was all her fault ... and suddenly ... 20 years later, he admit to his son that he was seeing someone else, his mother's problems had long preexisted the breakup, he hadn't helped her as he might have, etc. etc.  

I wouldn't call Ted a coward. He's been harboring terrible guilt all these years over bonding with another woman, not working to save his marriage, causing Teddy to lose his mother. He didn't tell Teddy the truth but buried his lie because he was ashamed. Then one lie on top of another.

That's how I saw it as well. Even the metal detector Trey requested found nothing. 

IIRC, George killed himself on a large, flat rock in the river, so since the river was high the sheriff and his men couldn't really investigate the spot. Daggett tells Trey that his men are not going to go into the water.

If it's really Tawney's daydream, given her mentioning him at the beach, well, then at least Tawney's psychic.

Teddy had told Tawney that Daniel and Janet were driving down the coast near Savannah. But now I'm wondering how Teddy knew about the trip when Ted didn't. 

I love the misdirect that it is Daniel's dream. About midway thru it, I started to wonder if it was actually Tawney's. Anyway, I think it was completely hers, and not a shared dream. Oh, and I also loved the beginning when we can just see part of the lettering on the wall:

FAILURE

WILL

LOSS

Oh, and about Ted Sr. saying "it's not the same":  I originally thought that Ted Sr could either be saying that him leaving his house/marriage wasn't the same as Teddy leaving his house/marriage, *or* that he knows that Janet having her stepson back home isn't the same as her having her "real" son back home. But in light of Ted Sr talking to Teddy about how he'd basically already moved on from his marriage to Margret even before she left, I wonder if Ted Sr was talking about how what's going on between him and Janet now isn't the same as what went on between him and Margret back then (since back then, I guess he basically gave up on the marriage and then his wife left town for good -- and him moving out and Janet leaving town does seem sorta similar). What makes me wonder if Ted Sr was comparing his first marriage to his second marriage is mostly because I assume that Janet was that "other woman" who he leaned on even before Margaret left.

Very interesting. I didn't think about the possibility that the other woman could be Janet. I actually hope it wasn't. I'd rather that a kind of random woman was involved. I would also like to think that Ted would end the relationship with her after realizing what it cost him.

Re the "It's not the same thing" comment, I'm also unsure of its meaning. At first I thought his comment was in response, somehow, to what Janet had just said, i.e., that she'd told Teddy it was ok for him to stay at their house. But now I think that was actually unrelated. I think as Ted was waiting in his truck, he was going over the rift betw him and Janet in his head. I think he was actually referring to Janet being on Daniel's side regarding Hanna, and Janet being on his side regarding his assault on Teddy, and that they weren't the same thing.

The kitchen looks very nice. Wasn't the stove the one that Daniel got for Janet? The one that started this whole demolition, right?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 4

After avoiding talking to Janet by sitting in his truck -- even though he she and Daniel were leaving on the road trip -- even though Daniel and Janet were "away" and Teddy had moved back in ... Ted (who had been staying with Teddy) chose to stay elsewhere -- unless we want to believe he was hiding out in the master bedroom while Teddy and Amantha and Jared were in the dining room, eating dinner and playing cards ... 

Ted also turned and walked away from Teddy after unloading his truth bomb about his mother ...and quite likely Janet ... Utterly ignoring Teddy saying that he had always thought it was his fault his mother had left .... 

Ted's still unwilling to come clean in the present or the past ... His wife is now estranged and his son is in deep pain ... seriously, gotta run... things to do, other people to see. No wonder his first wife left. 

After avoiding talking to Janet by sitting in his truck -- even though he she and Daniel were leaving on the road trip -- even though Daniel and Janet were "away" and Teddy had moved back in ... Ted (who had been staying with Teddy) chose to stay elsewhere -- unless we want to believe he was hiding out in the master bedroom while Teddy and Amantha and Jared were in the dining room, eating dinner and playing cards ... 

Ted Sr was at Kiwanis (according to Teddy, anyway) when Teddy and Amanatha were eating dinner and playing cards. I think that once Daniel left, he moved back in. 

but then the absolute weirdness that Ted was staying at his son's, but Teddy never told him that Tawny was moving back into the house and he -- Teddy -- was moving out ... Note that Janet never ordered either of them out of the house ... she just said if they had problems with Daniel staying there, they could find somewhere else to stay for the time being -- what was it 2 days??

I thought it was pretty in-character that Teddy had asked Janet permission to come stay at the house separately from (and prior to) talking to his father about it. I figured that Teddy wanted to talk to Janet privately because he was worried that Janet might say no. If Janet were to say no, but Ted Sr didn't know that Teddy had even asked, then no big deal (well, except to Teddy. But no big deal in terms of Janet's and Ted Sr.'s marriage). But if Janet were to say no and Ted Sr knew about it, that could blow up into a fight between Janet and Ted Sr, just like Ted Sr not wanting Daniel to stay at the house had blown up into a big fight between them (and Ted Sr had even "moved out" over that fight).

ETA:

I think that probably what would have happened is that Tawney called Teddy that morning to say she wanted to move back into the house after all, so Teddy called Janet to ask her if he could stay with her and his dad once Daniel left. It ended up that Daniel was leaving town that day, though, which meant that Teddy and Ted Sr could move into Ted Sr/Janet's house and Tawney could move into her house on that same day, too. Maybe Teddy would have called Ted Sr right after getting of the phone with Janet to tell him what was going on, but Ted Sr was meanwhile already lurking at Janet's house, so he got the news from her instead LOL.

Edited by rue721
  • Love 1

So did the show state that it's only been "six or seven weeks" since Daniel was released? I know we're on an extremely compressed timeline but that doesn't seem to be enough time for Daniel to have recovered so fully from his beating (wasn't he in a coma briefly?), or for the legal stuff setting up his "confession". If nothing else I would assume the latter negotiations would have dragged on for months in the real world. I don't remember how quickly Daniel went from hospitalized to unbruised last season, but I guess I wasn't aware of so *little* time passing so it didn't bother me.

• Love 1

"I'd like to tell you about my friend Kerwin." 

And Syren lets out a huge involuntary sob and is very happy she's alone because frankly, it's embarrassing how much this show gets to me. Just mention Kerwin, and I'm a freakin' mess.

I just watched and have had too much wine to comment coherently so I'll be back tomorrow, but man, I love reading this board and the comments over on Sepinwall's review. I'm not alone in my love or my inability to articulate what and how much this show means to me!

• Love 2

This was a very beautiful ending to the season and could have worked well as the ending of the show. Tonight I happened to watch the movie The Best Part of Me and the guy who plays Trey played the bad guy hillbilly father here and he seemed like the exact same character!  Seeing Daniel looking forward to his life for the first time was wonderful.

I wasn't crazy about Tawny's dreams but mostly because I don't like her. I find her a little simple and just can't picture her having such 'deep thoughts' as it were. I also think Daniel would be better off with someone new, someone who can meet him as he is and accept him. Tawny is too tied up in wanting to save and be saved, and I want Daniel to move beyond that point. 

I hope next time around we see both Daniel and Amantha proceeding with their lives and finding something to strive for. I also hope Janet can come to peace with what happened to Daniel and that she herself can find happiness again too. If they would have shown Kerwin I would have lost it, I was close already.

• Love 2

Tawny is simple in ways, but I'd encourage you to go back and watch her very first scene with Daniel. They connect on a way that is simple and incredibly deep at the same time. There were even callbacks to that first scene in the dream sequence.

I'm fairly simple too, or at least a hopeless romantic--their connection affected me from the get-go, and it's very difficult not to ship them, even though the show has done a stellar job of showing us why they would be terrible together *for now*.

• Love 5

Is it my imagination or did trey kind of taunt George wanting him to kill himself? I need to go back and rewatch.

I seem to remember that as well. I'll let you rewatch and then tell me. :)

Tonight I happened to watch the movie The Best Part of Me and the guy who plays Trey played the bad guy hillbilly father here and he seemed like the exact same character!  

Have you seen him in Deadwood? Very different character there. 

Tawny is simple in ways, but I'd encourage you to go back and watch her very first scene with Daniel. They connect on a way that is simple and incredibly deep at the same time. There were even callbacks to that first scene in the dream sequence.

Oooo. Remind me of the callbacks. I can't remember stuff very well. Was it their discussion of what God was? In between the seconds? And what was with Daniel saying that God was rain frogs?

• Love 1

I've rewatched that scene between George and Trey a few times, and I still don't see where Trey taunted him to the point where George had no option but to commit suicide.  They asked each other if the other one had killed Hanna, and both said no. Then George asked, "What are you going to do, Trey?" Trey said, "Tell the truth." Then George asked, "What is the truth?"  And that's it. Trey didn't answer. He just left. And we saw George all alone, mulling things over. Until, at the end, he kills himself.  What I want to know is, what even made Trey go back there to find his body? How did Trey know that's where he would be? How did he know that George just didn't leave the state, or something? That has always bothered me.

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 2

Trey obviously has never seen this video: 

There's still a ways to go with him. The DA still has to review the case and file charges. There's always a chance that gun could turn up and the charges get dropped.

The picture is clearing up as far as what happened with Hanna Dean. Daniel may have still killed her... I wonder if the show is really interested in answering that question. I actually wouldn't consider it compulsory, which is strange because in some ways the show has unfolded like a mystery... but solving the mystery is not really what this show is about.

I didn't know this season would only be six episodes... it's an unusually small number of episodes for an American cable network series but I don't mind them being that short if it helps keep the writing more focused.

Just when I thought there would be no Tawney and Daniel this season...man, oh man did that scene get to me. I think I was in awe of it as it was happening. One of the best, most levitational scenes I've ever seen on TV I think.

Now we know that they'll have to have some interaction next season for sure- Tawney's definitely in love with him. And I actually thought Ted's speech to Teddy about what really happened with his mom paralleled Tawney's own actions in letting the door open for someone else, even if it's not physical. When that happens, things are just over. Maybe Teddy realized that too, with his dad's confession.

It kind of sucks that Trey is arrested for a murder he didn't commit, even if he might have killed Hanna too. They got to get him for the right reason. I used to think they would never answer the question of who really killed Hanna, but now I think they probably will and it will end up not being Daniel. Just because I think he'll probably make his way back to Paulie before the end of the show, and Jon Stern will prevail in his quest. Although I really have no idea who did it now, if it wasn't George and it wasn't Trey. Could it have been Chris and he's just a really smooth liar? Or one of George or Trey lied I guess. Maybe someone else entirely, like the senator? It leaves it most plausible that it was Daniel, but I'm just sort of skeptical that the show wants the answer to be predictable. This season was the most they've ever focused on the mystery and to me it's still just as compelling as everything else.

This really is a miraculous series. I'd be bummed about the short seasons, but if it helps the episodes to be this good then I can take the wait.

• Love 4

Perfection. That's what that whole episode was for me. Every single second was so so good.

"No way." Jon, refusing Daniel's proffered hand and hugging him and kissing his cheek instead. Jon Stern, I love you. Threatening the Senator was just icing on the cake for me.

Hearing Christopher's account was awful. Even without details, that whole thing made my stomach turn and just repulsed me.

That look between Daggett and Person when Chris said no one even talked to him, they just let everyone go, was perfect.

The whole kettle corn "saga" was funny just because it was real and one of the things this show does so well: mix in mundane things like that with the deep seriousness of a murder investigation.

Daniel staring at the prison---my heart was breaking. And of course he mentioned Kerwin and that broke it completely. I really wanted to see Kerwin again but I'm not sure I could've stood it either.

I've said it before but it's truly amazing what they managed with a character that had so very little screentime.

Everything with Amantha and Teddy was great, really great. It seemed the big balloon of tension around those two had been popped.

The kitchen did look a whole lot better. I'm just glad it's done because having lived through remodeling, that was setting off a twitch for me. Remodeling is pure hell and I will never do it again. <shudder>

No mention of the scrunchie but I imagine that will come about next season. Trey locked up for a crime he didn't actually commit is some serious irony, no? I would guess we'll find out what crime(s) he is guilty of next year.

They did shoot those last scenes in Nashville---that's our "Batman" building you see in the far background with the sun beside it as they're driving up the hill to the New Canaan Ctr. (is that the right name?)---so I wonder if some of next season will be shot here. If so, I may have to go stalk the set in  a non-creepy way.

Such a perfect ending to the season of this beautiful, magical show.

Edited by Syren
  • Love 10

Just when I thought there would be no Tawney and Daniel this season...man, oh man did that scene get to me. I think I was in awe of it as it was happening. One of the best, most levitational scenes I've ever seen on TV I think.

Now we know that they'll have to have some interaction next season for sure- Tawney's definitely in love with him. And I actually thought Ted's speech to Teddy about what really happened with his mom paralleled Tawney's own actions in letting the door open for someone else, even if it's not physical. When that happens, things are just over. Maybe Teddy realized that too, with his dad's confession.

This really is a miraculous series. I'd be bummed about the short seasons, but if it helps the episodes to be this good then I can take the wait.

!

That's really clever. I hadn't even thought of that - how Ted's confession about letting someone in, even in a non-physical way, was the beginning of the end of his first marriage, and how that exactly mirrors Teddy, Tawney and Daniel. That's very strong foreshadowing.

If this was any other show, the dream sequence would have come across as "fan service." I.e. writing in a scene between two characters, simply because they wanted one and could find no logical way for them to get together in real life. On this show it's anything but that. There are valid reasons for keeping these characters estranged all season, and there's a valid reason to remind them, and the viewers, that their love for each other - and yes, that's love, it's been love since the first words they said to each other - hasn't just magically disappeared.

In a dialectical sense the main contradiction in the Daniel slash Tawney relationship is one of denial versus acceptance. The synthesis likely lies in understanding. Over this season both have been in a state of denial. In the dream, we see the understanding acceptance. This is different from the scene in season two episode nine, where we have a desperate, half-drunk Tawney still torn between automatic rejection - ("We can't be together") - and instinctive, unpremeditated acceptance ("Dance with me.") Tawney finally, truly sees what he's done to her, and she also sees how there's no way back from it, for better or worse.

• Love 2

I really have no idea who did it [killed Hanna] now, if it wasn't George and it wasn't Trey. Could it have been Chris and he's just a really smooth liar? Or one of George or Trey lied, I guess. Maybe someone else entirely, like the senator? It leaves it most plausible that it was Daniel, but I'm just sort of skeptical that the show wants the answer to be predictable.

So, Chris, George, and Trey gang-raped Hanna, then convinced her to tell everyone it was consensual? If Daniel didn't kill Hanna, I think it was Bobby Dean (or another member of Hanna's family).

Maybe it was Chris (or someone covering for him), but it seems like "cheating" to introduce the killer in season three.

• Love 2

The whole kettle corn "saga" was funny just because it was real and one of the things this show does so well: mix in mundane things like that with the deep seriousness of a murder investigation

I kept wondering if it was a parallel to Daniel being told he would see his father while he was being questioned. Either way, it was great.

Also, the actor who plays Daggett favorited my tweet (bottom) and actually responded when I thanked him! A lot of the Rectify supporting actors are really cool about interacting with fans.

GEAS0um.jpg

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 3