Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway Quotes: "But What About Andrae?"

• Start Topic

I swear I thought we already had a PR quote thread but I couldn't find it any of the subforums, so here is a fresh new thread for all of your favorite Project Runway quotes, past and present.

From the S14 premiere:

Candice: I won't burn you. Just don't move.

Merline: They call him Tim Gunn because he's Tim Gunn.

Tim Gunn: It's muslin with an N, not Muslim.

And of course this classic from S2:

Zulema: I don't care if you cry, but you need to cry and CUT.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Ha, I agree that Dmitry could have his own separate thread. I loved whenever described the other designers' work.

Merline: You're from India. You can make something amazing happen with this fabric.
Swapnil: I left my magic wand at home.

• Love 7

Some of my favorites (paraphrased because I haven't actually memorized them):

Christian: ew, don't get bitchy.

Uli: it's the kind of dress you wear to a party where you're gonna get really vaaaaasted.

Laura: when you have 5 kids it's a slippery slope to sweatpants and minivans. So I don't even go there.

Elena: my baby's name is asshole. Here she is!

Terri: I ain't nobody's mama, I ain't got nobody sucking on my titties.

Kenley: that's what I was going for, Hei-DI.

• Love 4

Heidi: so you did not ask for Oktoberfest?" (Her expression made the line delivery even better!

Laura (after learning, mid-season that she's pregnant again): "I'll just throw it on the pile with the others."

Jillian (after losing a challenge): " I have honest eyes. More than one person can be excellent."

Chris March: "I'm trying to signal Elisa's planet."

Elise: "it's a very nice planet, and I bring gifts."

Stella (repeatedly) "Leathah."

Tim ( repeatedly): "Son-JEE!"

• Love 4

One of my favorite judges' lines was when Anne Slowey was guest judging during the Sasha Cohen challenge and told Emmett his outfit showed entirely "too much tootie."  That often gets repeated when my DH and I are armchair judging the runway

Does anyone know which episode it was when Michael Kohrs proclaimed one of the designs to be "farty?"  I remember it was hilarious, but I can't remember what outfit he was referring to.

• Love 2
Elena: my baby's name is asshole. Here she is!

Thank you.  The infamous Season 10 Baby Animatronic Robot Challenge.  I think I have spoken about this before, but Season 10 was one of the best seasons with the best overall personalities (Elena, Sonjia, Christopher Palu, Fabio, and of course Dmitry, even Kooan), who were all simply AMAZING for soundbites.

AND !!!  That Baby challenge was not only maybe the funniest PR episode I have ever seen (coupled with Santino/Andrae/Tim/Olive Garden drama) but one of the funniest television episodes I have ever seen in my entire life, of any show.  The designers' reactions to their babies was so over the top hilarious.  Remember how much Fabio doted on his child, held it, spoke to it, cooed at it, and treated it like it was real?  Oh, my god.

Sonjia, when a mother in the mother-daughter challenge was being difficult towards Christopher:

"You need to just get your shit done and not worry what Miss Mary J. Blige thinks."

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

Thank you. The infamous Season 10 Baby Animatronic Robot Challenge. I think I have spoken about this before, but Season 10 was one of the best seasons with the best overall personalities (Elena, Sonjia, Christopher Palu, Fabio, and of course Dmitry, even Kooan), who were all simply AMAZING for soundbites.

AND !!! That Baby challenge was not only maybe the funniest PR episode I have ever seen (coupled with Santino/Andrae/Tim/Olive Garden drama) but one of the funniest television episodes I have ever seen in my entire life, of any show. The designers' reactions to their babies was so over the top hilarious. Remember how much Fabio doted on his child, held it, spoke to it, cooed at it, and treated it like it was real? Oh, my god.

Sonjia, when a mother in the mother-daughter challenge was being difficult towards Christopher:

"You need to just get your shit done and not worry what Miss Mary J. Blige thinks."

So much yes! I also loved Melissa and Alicia, and Gunnar grew on me by the middle of the season. Season 10 is probably my favorite season (narrowly beating out Season 7) which is why I can never quite get onboard with the "Lifetime sucks" argument.

• Love 1

Blake: I'm just concerned that we only have...[look of concentration with tongue sticking out while staring at the clock] six hours? Right? Is that right?

Gabrielle: [not even looking up from her fabric] We have nine hours. We have until 1[AM].

Blake: Wouldn't that be closer to this one though? [points to the 5 on the clock]

Lindsey: Blake apparently doesn't know how to tell time.

Blake: Ohhhhhhh. The big hand is the minutes.

Candace: OH. MY. GOD.

Ashley: What did he just say?

Candace: "The big hand is the minutes."

Candace: It's not attractive to pretend to be dumb.

Lindsey: I don't know if it's more embarrassing that he doesn't know [how to tell time] or that he's pretending to not know.

• Love 8

It also sounds like he can't do math - nine hours until 1 a.m. is 4:00. Six hours until 1 a.m. is 7;00. Where does the 5 figure into this, at all? (presumably it was a little after 4, so one of the hands would have been at 4 . . . don't remember what the clock was saying. If it was 4:00, the minutes hand would be at 12 and he wouldn't have thought they had six hours until 1:00; if it was 4:35, she probably wouldn't have said they had nine hours). 

Maybe he was trying to cover his utter failure at being able to subtract hours from 1 a.m. and get to where he was, by trying to be "cute" about not being able to read an analog clock.. Regardless, it's a really annoying affectation. I actually saw what they liked about the dress, but I was so predisposed to hate it because he's such a twee little jerk. Grow out of it, already. It's not cute. It probably never was, but it certainly isn't now. 

I can sympathize a little in that I always have to stop more than I think I should to figure out what time it is in Australia, for example, compared to home. It's straightforward but I tend to have to really break it down to get it right for some reason. Some sort of mental blind spot of mine that I find embarrassing. .He may have been embarrassed that he couldn't figure out how many hours it was until 1:00 a.m even with a clock staring right in front of him. Jeez, just subtract where you are from 12 and add one. 

Edited by akr
  • Love 1

That S10 baby challenge was a goldmine of great quotes. Another favorite from Dmitry: "It's like making outfits for cats. Literally." His delivery... I think Dmitry is my favorite, personality-wise. (Seth Aaron is still my favorite designer, though.)

S3 Laura, on working with Angela: "It was more appropriate for the challenge, not full-tilt boogie Angela quilted extravaganza...of puff."

And while I couldn't stand Santino at the time, I've softened on him over the years. Thinking back on his goodbye "song" to Daniel Franco, I always giggle at the "See you on Season 3!" part.

• Love 4

Just as funny, Season 1 Robert being asked who would win Season 3:  "Daniel Franco will win!"

Based on what happened in last night's episode, Andrae's "I have rethreaded the overlock machine!" in a voice that threatened doom if anyone screwed it up again has always stuck with me.

• Love 6
Based on what happened in last night's episode, Andrae's "I have rethreaded the overlock machine!" in a voice that threatened doom if anyone screwed it up again has always stuck with me.

Oh yes, along with his really deep-voiced, spiritual-like, rendition of *singing* "we ain't gonna sew no moooore" as, I believe, the machine once again died. That season was definitely the most musical of the seasons. And yeah, I think he was the only one who knew how to fix and/or rethread the overlock machine, so he was often and graciously having to do it for everybody.

I liked Andrae.

As for maybe underrated seasons, I also liked season 3. If you can excuse / ignore Vincent, there was some comedy gold in quotes there... especially from Robert (Best) and Kayne (Gillespe) I'll include some below.

Some favorite quotes of mine:

Austin (about Wendy Pepper as she was taking a break by walking around outside talking to herself): We'll probably find her wandering the streets, hair astray and overdone makeup, muttering to herself and wearing orthopedic shoes.

Tim Gunn: Don't defend the shoe to me.

Andrae: Is there anyone else out there like Santino in the world? I don't think so. And if there is, don't call me, because one is enough.

Jeffrey (on hearing Heidi announce that the designers are going to a party): They say it's a party. It's never a party.

Tim Gunn: You just have to say all of these things on the runway. "Nina, I wanted her to look like she had a big, fat ass." (The sincere delivery made it even funnier.)

Vincent (with, imo, the perfect description of season 3's lovable but odd contestant Bradley): You know, Bradley is definitely Bradley. He likes to jump off bridges and find things as he falls.

Michael Kors: She looks like Barefoot Appalachian Lil' Abner Barbie

Christopher: Blood orange? She's so pretentious. Shut up, it's f*&king red.

Tim Gunn: "What are you doing with those animal woolly balls?"  and  "I prefer the woolly balls." (For me, that whole scene was so damn funny. Tim totally gave himself the giggles.)

And a special Robert Best section:

Robert: There are enough rhinestones.

Kayne: Robert, we bought four million bags of rhinestones, we will put them on till our fingernails bleed.

Robert: She's a beauty queen, not a disco ball!

Robert (about Bradley): Bradley is running around crazy: like a man without a country

Robert (during an unusual materials challenge at a recycling plant:) I recycle papers... plastics... ex boyfriends.

Robert (about his recycled materials dress): I'm really thrilled, because it looks like a cocktail dress. Albeit a cheap, tacky cocktail dress that a hooker might wear... but nonetheless it still looks like real clothes.

I lament losing our quotes pages over on TWoP. I had some great ones over there. And I can't believe there aren't more places out there on the internet with Project Runway quotes right now.

• Love 13

As a fellow short person, I've always loved Robert's statement: "but I'm huge in Japan!"

I also love Anthony from the season with Seth Aaron and Emilio. He kept the contestants from all out war the entire season. They showed him trying to get someone else to wake up by hitting them with his Bible, saying: "I will smite you with the word!"

• Love 6

Jeffrey (on hearing Heidi announce that the designers are going to a party): They say it's a party. It's never a party.

I believe he actually said, "It's never a fucking party," which I have repeated, out loud, to the people in my teevee, many times, whenever the host of any competitive reality show tells the contestants they are going to a party!

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 3
I also love Anthony from the season with Seth Aaron and Emilio. He kept the contestants from all out war the entire season. They showed him trying to get someone else to wake up by hitting them with his Bible, saying: "I will smite you with the word!"

YES!  Anthony was a sassy southern belle, and I still wish his design skills had been as on point as his bon mots!

The one that sticks in my head is the team challenge with him and Seth Aaron.  Tim walks into frame for their critique while Seth Aaron is dropping fabric, giggling and just generally fumbling around,  Anthony looks disappointedly at Tim and tells Seth:

"Now don't chu be acting up around comp'ney!"

His delivery was everything.

• Love 5

You people disappoint me.  No mention of Daniel V.'s, "It's a motherf@cking walkoff."??

And I also love Santino's Tim Gunn imitations about his dinner dates with Andrae at Red Lobster and his "Lighten up, it's fashion!" song.

Edited by Qoass
  • Love 15

I posted this in the S5 discussion thread recently - it's still my favorite PR quote of all time.  From Jerell, in response to who should go to Bryant Park (and after getting attitude from Kenley that he didn't pick her):  "Yeah, so, Korto, Leanne and Jerell at the tent is what I'm trying to say.  AT THE TENT."  I still randomly say "AT THE TENT" and do the little shoulder-dip LOL

Honorable mention to Jay's "Get off my property, Tim Gunn!" (said while holding a shotgun) during the S1 home visits.

• Love 2

My favorite PR contestant of all time was the beautiful Elena, and my favorite moment came from her All-Stars season where for some reason they dug up Debbie Harry to represent cutting edge "punk" and Elena said something like "Oooh, Debbie Harry!  My Daddy really liked her".

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

No, Natasha was on Under the Gunn, and it was Mondo and one of his mentees, Asha, who bullied her while Tim stood by and watched and made excuses. Helen's chew toy was Alexandria.

I hated Helen and really liked Alexandria (in part because her personality was pretty low-key), so my favorite part was on the reunion when Helen said something like, "Am I crazy?" and Alexandria said, "Maybe."

• Love 4

I may be one of the only fans of PR to not love Alexandra - and I really, really didn't - but I remember that moment so vividly, and how I actually smiled and for that moment liked her quite a bit. Just the way she said that "Maybe" was... classic.

(edited)

Edmond: No crying just yet. You cry when you win.

Kelly: I think pirates nowadays definitely stock up on vitamin C tablets.

Kelly: Having a pouch is like a built in fanny pack! I really do feel like a kangaroo.

Candice: I know what you're going to be for Halloween this year - a kangaroo pirate!

• Love 1

Laurence: Whatever it is, I hope we don't have to run because I twisted my ankle last night twerking.

Natalia: I don't design for the everyday woman. I design for the woman who wants to wear crazy shit.

Tim: Are you taking what is a very sporty dress and committing it to cocktails?

Alex: Royalty is in the room - Lady Cornelius from the Land of Shade.

Laurence: I'm really happy. I know you can't see it on the outside.

• Love 4

Cornelius: I don't want to do this.
Nathalia: But you have to.

Heidi: Have you ever looked at boobs before?

Tasha: The print I had in front was like a runway to the cootie.

Zac [describing Jenni's swimsuit]: Miss Piggy meets the Golden Girls. It's a little granny stripper. It's so sporty on top and then kind of a little slutty on the bottom.

• Love 2