Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Bread

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Paul and Mary went off to a Morris dancing class?  OMG.

I like that the technical challenge allowed them to bring recipes with them.

With everybody who was having trouble unmolding their sculptures, couldn't they have greased the molds?

It's hard to tell tone online, so apologies in advance if you knew this, but you did realize that the Morris dancing was a joke? Mel and Sue generally invent some mythical activity for Paul and Mary to engage in which they have to absent themselves during the technical challenge.

As Muffin said, they don't bring technical-challenge recipes with them. The recipes, along with the ingredients, are unveiled at the moment their time begins, when they remove the red gingham covering on their individual stations. (And the recipe having "some steps omitted" doesn't mean that words are just arbitrarily erased, but that it's a professional-level recipe that assumes "make a genoise batter as usual" is enough information for you, and that you know what heat or baking time is needed for a particular kind of item.)

I'm sure that they did grease the tins for their bread. But bread can stick even so. A fruit filling might leak out and stick, or it might be underbaked, or you might have missed a spot... Baking is full of variables. Some recipes ask you to cover the tin with something like cornmeal in addition to the fat, to guard against sticking.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Muffyn said:

The thing they didn't mention is that you need to not overwork these doughs because the leavening starts acting once moist and continues to act with heat.  I have some very old recipes in which the leavening was dusted on the batter in the oven since it was single acting (that is, only affected by moisture).  That makes for a tricky bake.

Paul did mention that. I believe he mentioned in (possibly we heard it in VO as they were showing something else, or maybe it was a TH) during the judging walkaround. Then at the actual judging he told Nadiya and I think Mat too they'd both overworked it.

(edited)

Now I finally know why Irish soda bread is different from "bread" bread. It's the bicarb!  Here in Chicago you generally only find it around St Patrick's Day. I find most varieties of it bland and uninteresting until I found one that was slightly sweet with raisins in the bread and coarse sugar crystals on top. That one I liked, just eaten by itself with a little butter.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1

I liked Dorret and was sorry to see her go, but I'm so glad it wasn't my tv boyfriend Matt instead.  It was so obvious that he thought he was going home.

Bread is a giant weakness of mine, so I could've easily spent that entire weekend eating the leftovers from both signature breads (all of which sounded good) and the showstoppers.  And then exploded, but happily.

I think Ian is the frontrunner so far.  Is there anything he can't do?

• Love 7
18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I didn't understand the praise for Ian's flower (flour?) pot. It looked droopy and the "flowers" looked like they were just thrown in rather than arranged. It reminded me of a pencil holder with a bunch of fancy tipped pens in it.

So interesting how mileage varies! I thought it was great -- better than Aslan, even! The lion was more impressive in an intricate way, but I liked the style of the flower pot better and the way he shaped it with the metal rig was inspired. In 2D terms, I'd say it was "graphic"...simplified, strong shapes, modern. In general, I do tend to prefer clean, geometric lines over intricate ones. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I meant, for the Showstoppers.

I think that's one of the things that adds to the quality on this show.  The bakers know the two challenges in advance, signature bake and showstopper, and have a week to prepare.  Of course, things can still go right or wrong, but they have each typically tried out their plan at least once.  That's why it stood out when Dorrit mentioned she hadn't tried her unmade bead but she had most likely used those bread recipes before (which sounded pretty damn tasty to me).  

I realize they mentioned the soda bread was overworked by a few bakers.  My point was the reasoning why you move quickly once the liquid and leavening are combined.  It is very different than working with yeasted doughs.   

• Love 1

What is interesting is that, though they have practiced and have their recipes, the conditions in the tent are so different than their kitchens, so that adds an element of the unexpected. It gives them enough of a challenge to not make things too predictable or boring. And it really shows baking knowledge, to be able to adjust their plans enough to counter the humidity or heat or whatever other forces of nature they are presented with.

I'm rewatching Cake right now and I never noticed, but I even like how they say "one will be named star baker and one will be asked to leave". Asked to leave just sounds so civilized. No "aufed" "voted off the island" just asked, politely, to leave.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

What is interesting is that, though they have practiced and have their recipes, the conditions in the tent are so different than their kitchens, so that adds an element of the unexpected. It gives them enough of a challenge to not make things too predictable or boring. And it really shows baking knowledge, to be able to adjust their plans enough to counter the humidity or heat or whatever other forces of nature they are presented with.

Oven differences must be a real challenge too. Even cook-tops can make a difference. I can have great success with something at home, but when I try to work in someone else's kitchen (holidays and such), it never quite works as well. That they have as much success as they do is impressive.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2015 at 1:53 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I am secretly hoping he finds a way to incorporate lumpia into one of his dishes. I have no idea how or why he will be able to justify it, but mmmm, lumpia.

Oh God, yes. I was introduced to them on my first job (pot luck day, of course) and have been in love with them ever since.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:51 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Were you recording it or just tuning in at the same time as last week? Because the various stations seem to be moving the times around from week to week and I think it's possible that with the double episode maybe your station aired Bread an hour earlier. That's just a hypothesis, of course. If you're recording it, your DVR should catch it based on the show title. At any rate, most of the stations have been reairing the shows on Sunday afternoon, so you have a second chance.

The same thing happened to me. For most of the week, my DVR showed two upcoming recordings, and then we ended up with one (the dessert recording). But the title of the episode said "Bread," so we were pretty confused when the dessert episode came up. It didn't occur to me that programming might have been preempted by the Turkish crisis. Odd that it somehow changed the name of the next episode, though.

I feel a little less critical of Dorret now, knowing she'd just had a killer week and couldn't practice it. I liked her, but even when she was smiling she looked sad and nervous. I think she might be relieved to go home.

Mat's bread dropping and sassy head snap made us giggle, and like him more (not that I ever disliked him - it's hard to dislike anyone on this show).

I was quite pleased with myself that even though I've never made baguettes, I knew steam was needed for crispy crusts.

• Love 1

MY PBS STATION IS SO LAME!

They're going to run "Desserts" in the afternoon on 7/24, but apparently "Bread" and all other episodes have been pulled.

(And I can't stream anything in my location. My British stiff upper lip is all tremble-y.)

• Love 1

I don't usually get hungry watching food TV, honestly, but this show always makes me want to lick the screen and then jump screaming into a vat of cake, bread or cookie dough. It reminds me vaguely of when I went without carbs this past Fall for like 3 months and then in November I went out to dinner with friends at a restaurant and basically collapsed face first into the bread basket. (Ignominious end of carb-free diet.)

On 8/19/2015 at 6:58 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

(Edited for space)

Ooh, Alvin's prosciutto, manchego, and balsamic onion soda bread looked so good

Tamal cracked me up earlier when he talked about how much goat cheese he ate at home while practicing this recipe. His fig, cheese, and walnut combo is not something I would like but glad that the judges liked it! 

Alvin's beautiful soda bread looked so amazing that if wishes came true, it would have been delivered to me instantly, levitating across the room to me from the television like something out of Harry Potter. Along with Tamal's (holy schnikes, i wanted to eat that so badly!). Also, speaking shallowly, Tamal is a beautiful man. And as a cheese fan he was never more adorable thus far for me than when describing how much goat cheese he managed to eat while cooking, since my version of heaven involves huge amounts of guilt-free cheese. (Like Monica on "Friends," I would blissfully live in a House of Cheese.)

On 8/20/2015 at 3:53 AM, shandy said:

Nadiya is quickly becoming my hijab wearing superhero - her personality shines through the screen. I like that muslim girls in the UK have taken to social media saying how much it means to see her. 

I love Sandy's calm and quirky demeanor.  When I read she worked in child protective services I thought, yep, she knows there are worse things in the world than poorly sculpted bread. 

I love that! I hadn't heard that but am so happy Nadiya's exuberance and charm is inspiring other little girls. She is the most delightful adorable creature ever. I loved all of her expressions this week, and adored her whimsical snake and snake-charmer's basket.

I love Sandy too! She's often in the background, but if you watch her, she is really funny and just genuinely funny and delightful as a person. When you factor in her humor and kindness with the incredibly tough job she must have, I'm in awe. 

On 8/21/2015 at 4:24 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ha, Glenn Hetrick of Face Off can be a mean judge but after he revealed that his cats are his world, most people have been cutting him a lot more slack. Funny how knowing that someone loves their pets can make them a lot more human and likable! Hee, I look forward to hearing Paul's French!

Aw, I love Glenn! But it has been fun to watch him mellow out season after season, and I frankly adored (LOVED) his judges' challenge performance, when he not only performed for a cat shelter charity, but got to show his love for his own cats, as well as his seriously charming and real humility.

Side note: I love "Face Off," and it's the closest thing American reality TV has to this show in an odd way-- it offers consistently kind, funny, skilled contestants, a very kind and supportive judging panel, and a constant atmosphere of mutual support (versus "I'm not here to make friends" BS) -- contestants are constantly helping one another all the time. (Even if you aren't into movie makeup, it might really surprise you anyway.)

On 7/15/2016 at 8:20 PM, annewithaneee said:

Why did no one question why they were hearing sizzling noises when the others were steaming their oven? If I'd never made a baguette before and heard like half the tent doing that, I'd probably give it a try. Maybe some of the bakers did do this and it just got edited out, but it seemed odd to me. I think I'd be sneaking peeks at everyone else during a technical like that

My impression is that they're sort of not supposed to watch each other on the technicals, at least outright. I do wonder about this particular case because the hiss of the water baths was so distinctive. I would have definitely taken the hint that this was probably action taken by people who knew what they were doing! (Because, of course, I know SO MUCH about baking! Hee! NO.)

On 7/16/2016 at 8:31 AM, Winter Rose said:

That lion was incredible and I'm glad it got a special mention at the end. I'd actually felt bad when the judges had to tear pieces off in order to taste it.

I always feel that way too -- I sometimes do a full-body cringe when Paul and Mary mercilessly cut into these beautiful creations across all these seasons. And then I always wonder if, once judging is over, everyone just runs around and noshes on all the wonderfulness -- contestants, cast and crew? I kind of hope that's true. The idea makes me smile.

On 7/16/2016 at 1:08 PM, stillshimpy said:

(Edited for space!)

More proof that the Tent is a Magical Land:  Paul made Bread Aslan.   Be on the lookout for Turkish Delight and be sure to avoid that mess, because it's punishment for bad people.  

I loved that they gave Paul a special mention and it seems that Ian is walking away with this competition, but it couldn't happen to a more dedicated baking soul, the form for his blossom was inspired.  

After the bread lion, we both deemed it appropriate to just call Paul Aslan for the rest of the evening, so we were heartily congratulatiing Aslan on his special mention as if he could hear us.  We don't drink much regularly, in case that wasn't blindingly obvious.   

Also, I decided it was perfectly appropriate, and likely necessary, to say a few words of consolation to Dorret, because apparently I think that my drinking wine somehow enables the people on my TV to hear me.  

BREAD ASLAN! Yes! I'm still chuckling. I was SO impressed with that -- it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on this show, and I simultaneously wanted to eat that sucker, show it off as sculpture, and listen to The Lion King (Original Broadway Cast) soundtrack. Good times!

Meanwhile, it is becoming increasingly obvious that we should all just come over to your house to watch this show with you and your husband. I'll bring wine! (LOTS of wine!)

On 7/16/2016 at 9:30 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Wait a minute, those ovens have proving doors and proving settings?  How much do those things, with their retractable doors, cost??? I have to wonder what the "room temperature" is in those tents, though.

I wouldn't trust Sue to touch my sculpture, let alone help me to carry it up for judging.

Silly rabbit! There is never any such thing as too much cheese.

Those ovens are so gorgeous. I hardly ever bake but the ovens, people and food on this show make me want to try. As far as the "flavor and taste" issue, I kind of understood it, as it allowed Paul to say, "I like the flavor of <ginger> you used. And it tastes <marvelous>." Meanwhile, I always laugh at everyone who uses truffle oil on these cooking shows. It seriously hardly ever ends well!

Aw, I love Sue. She didn't mean to dent Nadiya's sculpture last week, and I liked that she took full responsibility.

On 7/16/2016 at 10:49 PM, Muffyn said:

I actually don't care for Irish Soda Bread.  I have had many versions and never really enjoyed it.  Some of their recipes looked good, mainly because of the add-ins.  It is trickier than quick breads that are based on a batter rather than a dough and made in a loaf pan.  The textures are so different. 

I love Irish soda bread so much! In a perfect afterlife, I expect a comfy chair, a mountain of oven-hot Irish soda bread, and fresh cool Irish butter to eat it with. I am a secret fiend for carbs. Sigh. 

Meanwhile, I thought Ian's was beautiful -- while Paul's was the best to me (that lion! the little touches like the sesame seeds for texture, the rosemary whiskers, the almond claws and fangs--!), I also loved Ian's elegant bread-plant arrangement as well as Nadiya's wonderful snake. Just beautiful and they also looked so tasty. 

(Drat! I took a screen shot of Paul's lion, complete with feet, but PTV is telling me it's too big even though the file is 55 KB (well under the 250KB limit). Darn it.) Oh well, at least the (very funny) recap included a nice look at it!) 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, paramitch said:

My impression is that they're sort of not supposed to watch each other on the technicals, at least outright. I do wonder about this particular case because the hiss of the water baths was so distinctive. I would have definitely taken the hint that this was probably action taken by people who knew what they were doing!

I've never felt that they're not supposed to watch each other during technicals; in fact, in past competitions, people (like Richard the builder) openly cribbing from others became a running joke, with grins all around. ("You'd have to be daft not to, right?") The problem with seeing someone do something not specifically requested in the recipe like steam, is that you can't be sure that it's actually the right thing to do. Sometimes knowledgeable bakers have decided that a particular technical bake needs a bain-marie, and they were wrong.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, paramitch said:

I always feel that way too -- I sometimes do a full-body cringe when Paul and Mary mercilessly cut into these beautiful creations across all these seasons. And then I always wonder if, once judging is over, everyone just runs around and noshes on all the wonderfulness -- contestants, cast and crew? I kind of hope that's true. The idea makes me smile.

Yeah, that's my impression too. I know the contestants mention tasting each others' items after judging and there are a lot of crew on set that we do not see.

They can't actually help each other in the sense of telling each other how to do it, but some of the contestants have sneaked look at others and not really been dinged on it. They talk to each other a bit to see each other around, but no one gives out the right tips.

• Love 3
(edited)

Because the universe decided that it was going to do me a solid, to heal our psychic wounds and because I always make my bed, my PBS app had the fourth episode up last night!! Woooo....Hooooo!  Never fever, I'm not about to discuss it here, I'll discuss it in the appropriate place.  However, it's not a spoiler to mention this Rinaldo:  That actually comes up in the fourth episode -- not being allowed to watch each other during technicals -- and that's the gig.  They can look to one another in all other areas, but in the technicals part of the challenge is figuring it out on ones own :-) 

So interesting how mileage varies! I thought it was great -- better than Aslan, even!

I can't go quite that far, as the thing with Paul's Bread Aslan (for the wiiiiinnnnnnn!) is it's incredibly intricate bread-making to do that, but I fully agree that Ian's Flour-Flower pot was lovely.  Just nowhere near as much of a challenge to make (relative to that lion), aside from having crafted his own metal form.  

Meanwhile, it is becoming increasingly obvious that we should all just come over to your house to watch this show with you and your husband. I'll bring wine! (LOTS of wine!)

Awesome! I will dust off the welcome mat and make room on the sectional!  We can toast my hoped-for victory in taking my written driver's license test, as California makes out-of-state drivers take the written again, and urge people on to feats of yeasty triumph.   Here's hoping I have as much road knowledge as a really determined sixteen-year-old.  Too bad I can't get Flora to take it for me. 

Along with Tamal's (holy schnikes, i wanted to eat that so badly!). Also, speaking shallowly, Tamal is a beautiful man.

He is gorgeous and seems to really be talented too.  I keep cracking up at the concept that Ian hasn't even won best male baker in his village of 400 houses, because he's doing so well here that even people Tamal, who's been really solid, just seem kind of middle-of-the-pack comparatively.  

I think Paul described the truffle oil taste in a way that really nailed why it's pretty much never a good idea to use it:  musty.  He called it a musty flavor.  Yikes.  So if you want to make something taste like the back of a closet in August, add truffle oil.  If not, give it a pass!  

One thing about the proofing drawers and the ovens with proofing setting is that it has to help with how chilly it appears to be (every show the contestants are wearing some serious coats when the come in at the start).  

Edited by stillshimpy
Sigh. Quote boxes. How to reveal codes? Who knows?
  • Love 2

@stillshimpy Use the Multiquote function '+"' it'll help. You can add as many quote boxes as you want. To remove quote boxes, select the little box on the upper left hand corner and press delete.

The show films in April-June so there are definitely milder temperatures at play, but when they do their walk in the morning, I am pretty sure it's right after the crack of dawn so it's extra cool too. Often, you'll see Mary and Paul in down coats when doing their external interviews.

• Love 2
On 7/17/2016 at 9:01 AM, Rinaldo said:

It's hard to tell tone online, so apologies in advance if you knew this, but you did realize that the Morris dancing was a joke? Mel and Sue generally invent some mythical activity for Paul and Mary to engage in which they have to absent themselves during the technical challenge.

My first introduction to Morris dancing was through a joke on another BBC show, "Red Dwarf", ages ago. Having finally seen Morris dancing in person for the first time last year, I howled with laughter at the idea of Paul and Mary grabbing their sticks and handkerchiefs. Of course, Mary would be impeccably dressed.

Thank you, Athena

The show films in April-June so there are definitely milder temperatures at play, but when they do their walk in the morning, I am pretty sure it's right after the crack of dawn so it's extra cool too. Often, you'll see Mary and Paul in down coats when doing their external interviews.

We (as in the oft-referred-to husband of mine) noticed Matt's coat in particular.  Lots of puffy down and faux fur collars....with bright green grass outside, so we thought it was Spring

• Love 1

Having re-watched, I think it's clear that Paul would have been Star Baker if he hadn't completely whiffed the baguettes.  They can't give it to someone who comes in dead last in the Technical.  5th or 6th place and they probably would have done it.  They loved his quick bread, Paul H. shook his hand after giving him grief over it.  And the show stopper really was.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

...the Previously.TV post on the episode

One minor amendment to the above: Ian found his wild garlic not in his garden but out in the wild. Because that's what he does.

Rinaldo:  That actually comes up in the fourth episode -- not being allowed to watch each other during technicals -- and that's the gig.  They can look to one another in all other areas, but in the technicals part of the challenge is figuring it out on ones own

I rewatched the Technical in Episode 4 with that in mind, but I still don't see any indication of this. People have openly looked around and talked about others' choices during Technicals in every season of the show. What am I missing?

On 7/16/2016 at 4:08 PM, stillshimpy said:

So yes, Turkey also had impact on my PBS schedule, app and site availability so I didn't get to watch this until ten at night, last night.   To pass the time, we opened a bottle of wine.  That would be another bottle of wine after having sake at dinner.  Woo hoo, we were some spirited peanut gallery participants last night.  

I, too, would love to join you for your viewing parties.  What a riot!  

I didn't realize that the crisis in Turkey was why I only got the breads episode and not the desserts one.  I'll get to see that AFTER episodes 5 and 6 air on my local station.  Goodness.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, candall said:

MY PBS STATION IS SO LAME!

They're going to run "Desserts" in the afternoon on 7/24, but apparently "Bread" and all other episodes have been pulled.

(And I can't stream anything in my location. My British stiff upper lip is all tremble-y.)

You might want to take this latest insult over to the Great British Baking Show on PBS thread. There is so much anger in that thread that soon it just may rise up and smite TPTB at PBS.

• Love 2
(edited)

I rewatched the Technical in Episode 4 with that in mind, but I still don't see any indication of this. People have openly looked around and talked about others' choices during Technicals in every season of the show. What am I missing?

It's not during the Technical, Rinaldo.  It's seriously so minor that there can't be any harm in just spelling it out.  Matt watches Nadiya do something by her oven and she (Jokingly) says, "Stop looking!" (words to that end) and he replies "It's not during the technical....I can look!" (words to that end).  It's in the Desserts episode.  

I, too, would love to join you for your viewing parties.  What a riot!  

We have a large sectional and well-socialized dogs.  Come on over :-) 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 4

Since she accused him of copying her in the Breads episode, maybe it's just the two of them.  She and Paul were deeply convening over the instructions in the Breads technical - but it didn't help either one of them.

(edited)
18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

You might want to take this latest insult over to the Great British Baking Show on PBS thread. There is so much anger in that thread that soon it just may rise up and smite TPTB at PBS.

Thanks!  Outrage probably loves company even more than misery.  : )

ETA:  I couldn't find my like-minded peops under either Genre Talk or Network Talk.  Maybe they all took up their pitchforks and headed over to the castle without me.

Edited by candall
Returned to report my lack of success. Carry on.
  • Love 3

The "don't look at other people's work" during the technical appears to be solely on the honor system. If they wanted to make it physically impossible to see what other people were doing they could put some kind of partition around each station, but they don't do that. (It would probably make filming more difficult, as well.)  We see people look around all the time during the technical, particularly in the where-are-they-proving-it/how-long-are-they-proving-it/are-they-putting-it-in-the-oven-yet section.

• Love 1

I think it's fine that they "copy" off each other since there is a good chance the person you are copying off of also has no clue what they are doing. I like that it is not forbidden because I love watching them look around and get these looks of terror on their faces as they realize everyone else is doing something totally different.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, stillshimpy said:

It's not during the Technical, Rinaldo.  It's seriously so minor that there can't be any harm in just spelling it out.  Mat watches Nadiya do something by her oven and she (Jokingly) says, "Stop looking!" (words to that end) and he replies "It's not during the technical....I can look!" (words to that end).  It's in the Desserts episode.  

OK, thanks, but I don't see that as definitive of anything. It is indeed friendly joking both ways. The technical is certainly different from the other two challenges because they're all aiming to make the same thing -- so looking at someone else's work could be of immediate help (or it might not). But I'd need a definitive statement from on high to believe that it's forbidden, because, honestly, there are so many instances of bakers reacting to other bakers' work during a technical over the years, and nobody's the least bit furtive or guilty about it. As Mabinogia said, it's at your own risk because the person you're copying might be mistaken.

(edited)

OK, thanks, but I don't see that as definitive of anything. It is indeed friendly joking both ways.

Fair enough.  It was far from a declaration of the rules and actually could have meant "What?  It's not like it's a technical" vs.  "We're allowed to look if it's not a technical!"   I can see how it could be interpreted either way. 

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

Thanks (hearty handshake). And who knows, next week someone may announce something that invalidates me completely! It's interesting how obsessed one can get over the minutiae of how something like this works, isn't it? (Or I should say in the local vernacular, innit?)

• Love 3

I seem to remember Julia Child making baguettes and using one of those fertilizer spray guns to mist them to make them crusty.

And I hereby claim Chelsea Buns as my drag name.

• Love 9

My local station reran this episode this morning and I watched it while Mr.Moving was out food shopping.  He happened to bring home a baguette.  I quickly began to judge the quality of the loaf.  I found it was to soft and limp.  It had no hard crust....the grocery store did not have a pan of water in the oven to produce the steam necessary to give it a good crust.  It was not proofed long enough and I pointed out the tell tale lines on the bottom of the loaf.  Finally, it was under baked.  Instead of being golden brown it was pale and doughy.  I told Mr.Moving that I would have to rank it last in the Technical.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

I think it is respectful to make an effort to pronounce words correctly according to the language of origin.  I get that it in some settings it can come across as pretentious.  Here's what I don't get - accusing a native speaker of pretentiousness when they pronounce their own words accurately.  

Like those commenters on the various Food Network show forums who gripe about how Aarón Sánchez pronounces "taco".  Personally, I could listen to him read Mexican restaurant menus and ingredient lists all day long.

• Love 8

I'm rewatching this season on Netflix (again), & I had forgotten how annoying I found Flora constantly touching her face & neck. She just can't keep her hands off of herself, drives me crazy.

On 11/9/2018 at 8:58 PM, kirklandia said:

I think it is respectful to make an effort to pronounce words correctly according to the language of origin.  I get that it in some settings it can come across as pretentious.  Here's what I don't get - accusing a native speaker of pretentiousness when they pronounce their own words accurately.  

Like those commenters on the various Food Network show forums who gripe about how Aarón Sánchez pronounces "taco".  Personally, I could listen to him read Mexican restaurant menus and ingredient lists all day long.

I wish I could like this comment a hundred more times.

• Love 3