Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Bread

• Start Topic

The ten remaining bakers face bread week.

Starting with the signature challenge, the bakers must tackle a Bake Off first and make quick breads - with no proving necessary, the bakers have an hour and a half to get creative with their flavours. Ranging from sweet chocolate loaves to manchego and prosciutto stuffed bread, the finished loaves are a delight, and one even earns a handshake from Paul.

In another Bake Off first, Paul sets baguettes as the technical challenge. A seemingly simple recipe, everyone knows what a baguette looks like... or do they? The pressure of the tent gets to a few of the bakers, and the finished baguettes result in one of Paul's most brutal judgings.

For their showstopper, the bakers must make edible 3-D bread sculptures. As one baker says, 'its doughverload', with another making enough bread to start up his own bakery. Mary and Paul have to work their way through a bicycle, a snake, an array of flowers, a lion and even the Brighton Pavilion, all made of bread. The results are impressive - so much so that one baker renders Paul speechless by making the best bread sculpture he's ever seen.

Extra Slice talk encouraged.

• Love 1

Ooh, Alvin's prosciutto, manchego, and balsamic onion soda bread looked so good, but I would eat just about anything that had both prosciutto and balsamic onions. So happy that both Paul and Mary were so enthusiastic about it! Ian's garlic pesto looked bright and colorful and I like the flavor combination. Too bad about Dorret's walnut and stilton bread. That's not a flavor combo I'm interested in, but Paul said it was too tight because of all the cheese. I agree that Nadiya's Mexican bread looked like regular old bread so at least it tasted good. Mat's jalapeno and cheddar bread looked really dark on the outside so I'm glad it wasn't overbake. Too bad his dough was overworked.

Tamal cracked me up earlier when he talked about how much goat cheese he ate at home while practicing this recipe. His fig, cheese, and walnut combo is not something I would like but glad that the judges liked it! Sandy's smoked bacon bread sounded delicious. Mmmmm, onions. Flora's fig and hazelnut rye also seemed like a flavor combination I would not like. Ugne's chocolate bread with caramel sauce was definitely a risk so I'm glad that the judges liked it. I would eat the crap out of that. Paul's cranberry and orange bread was very pretty with the colors of the fruit showing.

Wow, what a difference between Ian's baguette in first place and Nadiya's sad soft ones. Hee, I loved that Ian said he might have a fizzy pop in the bathtub to celebrate, but just one. Flora was hilarious too: "Paul was punching bread and shattering dreams."

Loved the Ukrainian bread lesson! I will say though, that as much as I love bread, I would not skip cake at my wedding. CAKE!

Tamal's breadcycle was really impressive to me. It's much harder to create a thin freestanding shape like that. And the bread looked yummy! Sandy's basket of flowers looked kind of boring. Alvin's cornucopia was HUGE. Holy crap. I am glad Sue and Mel offered to help him carry it. He made so many different types of bread and they looked very distinct. Ugne's bread basket seemed like an easy way out of creating a structure. I know that technically it was still a structure but it had no height.

Ian's flowerpot was nice. Loved that he made that metal mold for this. Flora's definitely had height and it was very airy, rather than big stumps. Loved Nadiya's snake. From the color to the way she wound it around the muffin tin was great. The basket looked nicely woven. Paul's lion was great. That face was so detailed! Loved the almonds as the claws.

Mat's little pavilion was simple but cute. Dorret's rumpled bed was too simple in design, but at least she made the blanket separately. It's too bad the middle of the bed wasn't cooked. In reality it was one big thing for the bed, a another piece for the headboard, and then a rumpled blanket.

I don't know if Ian can keep up his winning streak as star baker. I agree that it's still early in the competition so it's still anyone's game. I think Alvin has the potential to go far. It was nice that Paul got special recognition for that amazing lion.

Edited because bread is not the same as bed.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8

Bless Alvin, I'm lucky to know several filipinos (nurses like Alvin) and their celebrations are never knowingly under-catered! 

Soda bread is about the only bread I can make without disaster so it was great to get so many ideas. I snorted with Mary (i can smell the baking powder) at Ugne's chocohorror but she was quick to say she was wrong - although I'm still not tempted to try chocolate. 

Dorret was so anxious I think it leeched into everything she did. She should have done something like Mat - which required no great artistic talent but was a clever take on the the brief. 

I'm beginning to see why Ian is an in-demand  travel photographer - he has creative 'flair'.  Was fascinated by the elaborate blueprint for the lion from PrisonPaul and I honestly did not think it would work out as well as it did. 

I think at some point Flora 'Yes I have made baguettes before' is  going to peel away a latex mask to reveal Martha Stewart. 

Nadiya is quickly becoming my hijab wearing superhero - her personality shines through the screen. I like that muslim girls in the UK have taken to social media saying how much it means to see her. 

Tamar seemed under-edited this week, although I suspect he will become a powerhouse. They did something similar to Nancy in the early weeks of s5. 

I love Sandy's calm and quirky demeanor.  When I read she worked in child protective services I thought, yep, she knows there are worse things in the world than poorly sculpted bread. 

• Love 9

I loved this episode. Mat cracked me up throughout. I loved his little look when he dropped his bread, and the banter between him and Nadiya was adorable. And I'm so glad Paul received special accolades for that lion. Oh and Ian, so cute and "aw, shucks" about everything. Plus, I love how supportive everyone is of each other whether someone is dealing with a failure or celebrating a success.

• Love 8

I think Flora, because of her age, is going to continue to be overlooked for serious Star Baker consideration. She seemed to be the most consistent baker this week, but in that final deliberation wasn't even mentioned.

• Love 2

Flora was mentioned half way through as doing well this week, but comparing her to Showstopper to Ian (who is the most consistent baker in the last two weeks, when has he floundered?), Alvin, Paul, or even Nadiya, I think those ones were just more

After six years of this show, I still shake my head whenever the bakers deviate from instructions in the Technical challenge. It's one thing for them to rely on their instincts and do something that isn't mentioned in the recipe (the steam), but I always wonder why they doubt the actual challenge.

Sandy is hilarious. Tamal is dreamy. Nadiya is wonderful. Ugne has some strange flavours. Mat is extremely amusing. Dorret was a dead woman walking and has been for awhile; she has not shown anything exciting or good since the first episode.

I like Nadiya, but it's worrisome that she's done poorly on all the technical bakes.

• Love 6
Bless Alvin, I'm lucky to know several filipinos (nurses like Alvin)

I am secretly hoping he finds a way to incorporate lumpia into one of his dishes. I have no idea how or why he will be able to justify it, but mmmm, lumpia.

I like Nadiya, but it's worrisome that she's done poorly on all the technical bakes.

I agree. And the judges have already noticed. One of them pointed out that she only does well at things she can practice ahead of time.

Can we talk about the way Paul (mis)pronounced prosciutto this week? At first I thought it was another weird British way of pronouncing a foreign word (GA-teau instead of ga-TEAU, Beecham instead of Beauchamp, taco with a short A, etc) but apparently it's just Paul.

• Love 5

After six years of this show, I still shake my head whenever the bakers deviate from instructions in the Technical challenge. It's one thing for them to rely on their instincts and do something that isn't mentioned in the recipe (the steam), but I always wonder why they doubt the actual challenge.

Particularly when it comes to bread!  "Gee, I have some water left over!  I wonder if I should use it?"  Yes, you idiot - YES!!!!

Can we talk about the way Paul (mis)pronounced prosciutto this week? At first I thought it was another weird British way of pronouncing a foreign word (GA-teau instead of ga-TEAU, Beecham instead of Beauchamp, taco with a short A, etc) but apparently it's just Paul.

I guess, technically, it isn't a foreign word for them, but the way they pronounce "scone" makes my head hurt.

That was a great episode.  It really opened my eyes about "quick breads" - which for me consists mainly of making banana bread when I have some overripe bananas.  And those showstoppers.  Just wow....  

I think we're going to have some pretty painful eliminations this season - because that is one incredibly talented group.

• Love 3

I guess, technically, it isn't a foreign word for them, but the way they pronounce "scone" makes my head hurt.

I'm British and winced at Paul's pronunciation of prosciutto - most odd.

The 'correct' way to say scone is sure to raise an argument here. If you hail from the North (like me), you likely say 'skoan' (to rhyme with cone or drone), if you're from the South, or think yourself a bit posh, you'll probably say 'skon' (to rhyme with con or don). Seems illogical to me, but then how do we pronounce 'gone'...?

As for foreign borrowings in general...well, for us it depends on how long they've been in the language as the general style advice is to anglicise them 'after a while' (or risk sounding pretentious) and the norm in Germanic languages is to emphasise the root syllable (hence GAT-eau). The French actually stress the two syllables equally. There's no set stress in French words, but the rhythm of the sentence dictates emphasis instead, so saying gat-EAU has no more authenticity than the way Brits say it (and it's no more wrong, either). I think that English speakers tend to hear a stress on the second part because we hear 'difference' more keenly, if that makes any sense.

As for TAH-koh versus TA-koh (or PAH-sta versus PASS-ta), I guess it's a similar thing, in that both Brits and Americans hear a difference (from English), but the 'foreign' A-sound is actually somewhere in the middle and we've each chosen a version either side of it - neither of which is exactly correct!

Beecham/beauchamp?! I can only hazard a guess that it came to Britain as a family name with the Normans over 900 years ago and how it was spoken then wouldn't be recognizable to either modern French or English ears and a corruption of the old way stuck. Place and family names are a minefield...

Sorry for being off-topic!

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 11
As for foreign borrowings in general...well, for us it depends on how long they've been in the language as the general style advice is to anglicise them 'after a while' (or risk sounding pretentious)

But why is it considered pretentious to pronounce something correctly (or at least similarly to the way it's pronounced in its native language)? I am genuinely curious about this - no sarcasm or anything in my question. For me, it seems rude or discourteous to deliberately pronounce an existing word differently from its language of origin because to me that's almost like me saying, "Hi, my name is Jennifer, " and someone saying, "Oh, great to meet you, Emily." That's why I default to the pronunciation in the native language (or as close as I can approximate with my terrible accent in other languages) which is why I go with pah-sta rather than PASS-ta, etc.

As for TAH-koh versus TA-koh (or PAH-sta versus PASS-ta), I guess it's a similar thing, in that both Brits and Americans hear a difference (from English), but the 'foreign' A-sound is actually somewhere in the middle and we've each chosen a version either side of it - neither of which is exactly correct!

For me there is a huge difference in the British and American pronunciations of taco, and then I realized that Mexican food is such a widespread thing that maybe we are all pronouncing it incorrectly. I asked my friend who was born in Mexico and is a native Spanish speaker how it's pronounced (heh, and with no preface at all, just a text that said, "How do you pronounce taco?" so she was hilariously confused by why I would ask such a question). She said it's pronounced tah-koe, as in rhymes with (Lake) Tahoe. Who ever thought that Taco Bell would be authentically Mexican about anything?

I love this show mainly because they bake delicious things without the typical reality show drama, but I also like that it allows me to learn things like pasta is pronounced differently in the UK! It's thanks to the Great British Bake Off & the Great Australian Bake Off that I learned a few years ago that baking soda (American) is the same thing as bicarb (UK & Australia). Another good one is pudding which is totally different in America vs. UK/Australia. When you see how many differences there are in little things like that in the same language but different countries, it makes me all the more impressed that immigrants have to learn the words for everything just to go shopping (especially since not everything is translated literally).

Despite of all interesting discussion about pronunciation, this I have absolutely no explanation for Paul's version of prosciutto this week!

• Love 7

Boogie, you need to see his Who Do You Think You Are  episode – where he gets to use his *cough* superb French! Much nicer man than the bake off makes him out to be, although anyone who owns a labrador gets a free pass in my world view. 

• Love 2

Ha, Glenn Hetrick of Face Off can be a mean judge but after he revealed that his cats are his world, most people have been cutting him a lot more slack. Funny how knowing that someone loves their pets can make them a lot more human and likable! Hee, I look forward to hearing Paul's French!

• Love 5

But why is it considered pretentious to pronounce something correctly (or at least similarly to the way it's pronounced in its native language)? 

I'm not British, but a parallel situation (applying to both UK and US English-speakers) is the existence of Anglicized pronunciations (or actual spellings) of cities in other countries. However it happened, once the English-language versions have existed for a few centuries, it would be pretentious if one ostentatiously said "pah-ree," "bair-leen," "mee-lah-no," and so on in the middle of a regular English sentence. 

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3

I've had a lot of British friends over the years, as well am very familiar with the UK media, and they can indeed be quite stubborn about how they say "foreign" words. They're (not as individuals, but as a culture) quite dismissive of original pronunciations.  I wonder if we should make a topic elsewhere in the forum (focusing of course on food words that this show butchers).

As for the Taco example?  I've heard some Brits say (and I wince) TACK-Oh (distinguished by that hard K sound in the middle).  And even worse, occasionally TAKE-Oh.  But it seems to really vary a lot, because I've also heard the other two (TAH-koh and TA-koh) as well.

Hey, this is funny (not so much about the language though).  A Brit being presented with ACTUAL real Tacos (of course even most Americans have never been to an actual taqueria and had them) : https://youtu.be/si9T2ZjemjQ

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I'm not British, but a parallel situation (applying to both UK and US English-speakers) is the existence of Anglicized pronunciations (or actual spellings) of cities in other countries. However it happened, once the English-language versions have existed for a few centuries, it would be pretentious if one ostentatiously said "pah-ree," "bair-leen," "mee-lah-no," and so on in the middle of a regular English sentence.

Yes, I think that's the sort of thing I meant by sounding pretentious. The trouble is a huge percentage of our words come via another language and I guess it's just a question of how long before you assimilate a loan word. The two countries take a different approach, but I don't see either one as superior.

Electricboogaloo, I'm afraid I'm going to stand by what I said about pah-sta/pass-ta. I don't think either is accurate and it comes back to how we hear the word differently (because of how we each generally pronounce A sounds in English) rather than any disrespect to the loveliness of the Italian language. Riz-ott-oh, anyone?!

As for tacos... I'm now intrigued by the hard K kromm mentions. I listened to some Mexicans pronouncing it online and I can see (well hear) what you mean - it's sounded further back in the mouth with a little stop before it. But what of the T at the front? That seems to almost soften to a D. Oh, the pitfalls.

http://forvo.com/word/tacos/

I like the sound of a separate thread to discuss food related butcherings. Or perhaps we could agree to call them 'differences' ;-). Perhaps that would be a good place for other food related confusions. I'd love to know what we all mean when we say biscuit and scone!

Edited by ceebee
  • Love 2

One of my food heroes Richard Bertinet is a guest on this week's Extra Slice. His books are great and one day I'll treat myself to a bread course at his school. He mentions his love of frangipane and I can vouch for the deliciousness of his recipe - he's transformed my mince pies for ever! (From 'Pastry'). Dorret was very sweet and good natured, but she really needed a bit more oomph.

I know it doesn't fit the non-drama side of this show, but I wish Dorret changing her showstopper plan had been brought up on the main show and not just on Extra Slice.  She came across as almost flippant in the "didn't practice" commentary on the main show, but I completely understand how she didn't have time to really work on it during the week, especially if she changed her plan between Week's 2 and 3.  It will be interesting to see how the PBS-watching audience reacts when this finally shows (because I'm optimistic that it will eventually...).

I can't quite figure out why, but I'm starting to be annoyed by Flora.  I really did like her comment about Paul shattering dreams though.  

Tamal's happy dance was wonderful.  

I hope that Ugne keeps going for unexpected takes on the briefs.  Chocolate quick bread sounds good to me!

• Love 2

Love the food pronunciation thread.   Would that also include food differences?  For say things we don't have here (or really don't have much of) like Golden Syrup.   

Loved Paul's lion.   Love all things Nadiya.   Ian is a beast!   I really like Flora as well.   

I love bread and began baking several years ago when The Bread Bakers Apprentice Challenge was all over the internet.   I have over time learned to make a really good french bread consistently.   The thing about it is?  I didn't do a great job the first 10-20 times and then one day it was near perfect and I haven't changed a whole lot.  Just one day I knew how to do it.  I wouldn't be able to tell somebody how to do it.   It's a tricky little bread until it isn't.   

• Love 6

I said out loud "Oh nooooo you're going home" when Dorrett explained she hadn't practiced her signature. I'm kinda glad she's gone, because she was so incredibly lovely and broke my heart every time she did poorly, which was unfortunately most challenges.

I'm with Tamal -- whenever I cook with goat cheese (or really, make a salad, that's the only context I usually use it in) I have to sample quite a bit of it. 

Why did no one question why they were hearing sizzling noises when the others were steaming their oven? If I'd never made a baguette before and heard like half the tent doing that, I'd probably give it a try. Maybe some of the bakers did do this and it just got edited out, but it seemed odd to me. I think I'd be sneaking peeks at everyone else during a technical like that, where it's something at least some of the bakers are apt to have made before (versus the obscure arlettes from last week) and might know some of what isn't in the bare bones recipe.

• Love 7
(edited)
47 minutes ago, leocadia said:

I don't know what happened, but when I tuned in tonight, my local PBS station (Detroit) showed Episode 4: Desserts and skipped bread entirely.  :-(

Were you recording it or just tuning in at the same time as last week? Because the various stations seem to be moving the times around from week to week and I think it's possible that with the double episode maybe your station aired Bread an hour earlier. That's just a hypothesis, of course. If you're recording it, your DVR should catch it based on the show title. At any rate, most of the stations have been reairing the shows on Sunday afternoon, so you have a second chance.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, leocadia said:

I don't know what happened, but when I tuned in tonight, my local PBS station (Detroit) showed Episode 4: Desserts and skipped bread entirely.  :-(

Here on our main PBS station, KQED, they showed Breads, followed directly by Desserts. Did you maybe tune in an hour later? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, leocadia said:

Detroiter here too.  No she was correct.  It seems the Turkish crises took over the time slot.  With WOW internet I get 2 PBS stations: Detroit and Flint.  I noticed Flint had it on an hour earlier with two episodes in succession.  Bread then pies were reported.  When I was into Dvring the second episode I watched the recording from the first.  OH NO it was miraculously relabeled Charlie Rose but the second episode was relabeled Bread.  Phew! by this time the Detroit station was already half into Pies but under the label of Charlie Rose.  So I lost 20 minutes of Pies.  Dang it!  What a mess!

It has been clear for a couple of weeks that Dorrett was short-lived.  Lovely woman and I love how they love them out of the tent.  Such a lovely show.

• Love 2

Very impressive bakes this episode, everything looked like something I would want to eat except for the bread loaded with goat cheese because I hate goat cheese. Ian is starting to look like the one to beat, he keeps getting stronger & stronger.

• Love 1

THE GREAT BRITISH BAKING SHOW

Season 3, Episode 3: Bread
54:51Video duration: 54:51 Aired: 07/15/16 Expires: 08/15/16

The ten remaining bakers face the challenge of bread week. In the Signature challenge, the bakers make two quick free-form breads. The technical challenge requires 4 identical crusty baguettes and the Showstopper is a 3-D bread sculpture.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365777837/

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Season 3, Episode 4: Desserts
54:51Video duration: 54:51 Aired: 07/15/16 Expires: 08/15/16

For the nine bakers left, it’s time to tackle the sweet ending to every meal – desserts. For the Signature Challenge, the bakers must make twelve crème brûlées. The technical challenge is a Spanische Windtorte. The Showstopper is a 3-tier cheesecake.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365777844/

• Love 2

That lion was incredible and I'm glad it got a special mention at the end. I'd actually felt bad when the judges had to tear pieces off in order to taste it. The bike was great too.

I had a feeling Dorrett would be going home soon, truthfully she's barely been getting by this whole competition. But still, good on her for hanging in there. I think maybe she was in over her head.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Winter Rose said:

That lion was incredible and I'm glad it got a special mention at the end. I'd actually felt bad when the judges had to tear pieces off in order to taste it.

I often feel that way (I suspect I'm not alone, right?) when the challenge is an elaborate artistic construction and then the judges have to immediately tear it apart. BUT on the other hand I totally understand that the whole challenge is to make something that pleases both the eye and the palate -- and making two, one for show and one to eat (if there were even time to do such a thing!), wouldn't work because the whole point is the taste of the very same one that looks so good (they'd show off the one that didn't bake so well). SO it can't be helped. But some of these constructions over the years have been quite astonishing.

• Love 9

That bread lion was absolutely amazing.  Paul would have been star baker if his other two offerings had been as good.  As it was, I was glad that Paul Hollywood praised the work and gave him special recognition.

Dorrett was clearly the right one to go home.  In fact, so far the judges have sent home the person I thought should go based upon what I can see on TV.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thanks to @jumper sage for clarification!  Also, thanks to @Zahdii for posting the link so I can go back and watch the Bread ep!  I love my DVR, but I've become so accustomed to it that it wreaks havoc when there are last minute schedule changes.

Edited by leocadia
(edited)

More proof that the Tent is a Magical Land:  Paul made Bread Aslan.   Be on the lookout for Turkish Delight and be sure to avoid that mess, because it's punishment for bad people.  

I loved that they gave Paul a special mention and it seems that Ian is walking away with this competition, but it couldn't happen to a more dedicated baking soul, the form for his blossom was inspired.  

I think Dorret actually decided that she was ready to bow out.  "I didn't practice my signature bake" seemed rather like a Good-natured white flag to me.  That's fine, I can completely understand why she might have felt that way.  Past the first episode, when the poor woman ended up in tears over her cake, she's actually clearly been trying to keep it all in perspective, but I think the competition was risking something for her: losing her love of baking.  I think it would be pretty natural to feel sort of disheartened and I knew as soon as she described what she was making that there was almost no way for it to look like anything other than a complete mess.  

I actually know how to make baguettes, since I took up bread baking about five years ago, but I use a cold fermentation recipe so other than knowing that you need steam, I'd have only had a slight leg up on a couple of them.  Bread week is always tough because bread baking is something that people focus on for years in order to get it right.  I never really did produce anything exceptional, just reliably acceptable. 

How about Alvin and his Kitchen Sink, Pantry and Boulangerie of a signature attempt?  That was awesome and I kind of like how he handled it.  Don't know what to make?  Make the entire catalogue.  Dude worked his buns off there.  *groan*  For all it represented a Herculean baking effort in the end it just looked like a Tour of Breads.  

So yes, Turkey also had impact on my PBS schedule, app and site availability so I didn't get to watch this until ten at night, last night.   To pass the time, we opened a bottle of wine.  That would be another bottle of wine after having sake at dinner.  Woo hoo, we were some spirited peanut gallery participants last night.  

After the bread lion, we both deemed it appropriate to just call Paul Aslan for the rest of the evening, so we were heartily congratulatiing Aslan on his special mention as if he could hear us.  We don't drink much regularly, in case that wasn't blindingly obvious.   

I shall rewatch the proceedings when I'm less prone to questioning the referees calls ;-)  Also, I decided it was perfectly appropriate, and likely necessary, to say a few words of consolation to Dorret, because apparently I think that my drinking wine somehow enables the people on my TV to hear me.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 17
(edited)

I thought every one of those quick breads looked delicious, and can't wait to try a few when I have time.  Sorry Dorett had to go, but it clearly was her time.  I loved those looks Paul H. was giving Prison Paul.  Speaking of the governor - his lion was awesome, but I don't understand why it got a special commendation.  I would have given it first place since I didn't think Ian's plant was outstanding (still quite good), but even so, perhaps there could have been a tie?  I don't know if they do that on this show.

I do have a question about the judging of of the technical bakes - it seems pretty clear from their reactions who baked what - can the judge's see that. or is it in the editing? 

Edited by mjc570
spelling counts
  • Love 1

Again, we are two nations separated by a common language.  What Americans call "quick bread" is banana bread and its many delicious cousins.  We call the British "quick bread" soda bread.  I couldn't figure out why they were insistent that quick breads be made with buttermilk, because mine certainly aren't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

My DVR also taped "Desserts" but I am exerting self-control so I can save it and just reflect on those amazing quick breads. I want to make and eat Tamal's goat cheese bread right now and put some cheese on the side for "research." And I love stinky cheese so I would eat Dorrett's Silton bread as well. Who am I kidding? I would eat every one of those breads.

Does anyone have any good links for unusual quick breads?

• Love 2
(edited)
20 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I do have a question about the judging of of the technical bakes - it seems pretty cleat from their reactions who baked what - can the judge's see that. or is it in the editing? 

I've wondered about that too. But all we ever see in those shots is the bakers themselves, and usually close in on their faces. I have no inside knowledge at all, but my private guess is that they film those reactions separately -- maybe after the judging is done (which is their last responsibility on Saturday, after which they return to the hotel) they line them up to watch the playback, at which time they're free to emote in close-up. I may be completely wrong.

12 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Again, we are two nations separated by a common language.  What Americans call "quick bread" is banana bread and its many delicious cousins.  We call the British "quick bread" soda bread.  I couldn't figure out why they were insistent that quick breads be made with buttermilk, because mine certainly aren't.

It's not that big a separation in this case -- I hear "quick bread" all the time (well, not constantly, but you know what I mean) over here for the breadlike things that use baking powder, not yeast: banana bread, date-nut bread, and the like ( soda bread too, though that's just not as common here, I think). So in this case the usage isn't so different.

I agree about the buttermilk: if you're using specifically baking soda (what they're always calling bicarb), you do need some acid to react with it, but it needn't be buttermilk -- Wikipedia lists "phosphates, cream of tartar, lemon juice, yogurt, buttermilk, cocoa and vinegar" as the likeliest baking acids. (Baking powder contains both components.)

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

I do have a question about the judging of of the technical bakes - it seems pretty cleat from their reactions who baked what - can the judge's see that. or is it in the editing? 

I think it's editing to make it look that way. It seems to me Paul and Mary avoid looking too clearly at any of the contestants when they do the judging and the editing does go close up on certain bakers. The bakers are probably told not to over react, but of course they will only if you look closely at who did what.

I use quick bread for all breads that do not have some form of yeast in them which includes British soda bread and traditional quick breads like banana bread and cornbread too. I am Canadian and used that term even before I spent time in the UK.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mjc570 said:

Speaking of the governor - his lion was awesome, but I don't understand why it got a special commendation.  I would have given it first place since I didn't think Ian's plant was outstanding (still quite good), but even so, perhaps there could have been a tie?  I don't know if they do that on this show.

I think Star Baker is awarded based on all three challenges and Ian was consistently good throughout so he was the overall winner. Whereas I think they just really liked Paul's lion and wanted to give him a shout out. If they ranked the bakers in the show stopper, the way they do in the technical, then in that challenge Paul would probably come in first.

• Love 11
(edited)

I printed a couple of the recipes for quick breads. Did that category have a winner?

I'll need to work on the measurement conversions. 

Edited by ennui

I didn't understand the praise for Ian's flower (flour?) pot. It looked droopy and the "flowers" looked like they were just thrown in rather than arranged. It reminded me of a pencil holder with a bunch of fancy tipped pens in it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just watched and it seems to me that when they were discussing who might go home and who might be star baker, Paul mentioned that to him, Alvin won the signature bake. (Though technically you're right, there is no winner for the signature bake.)

Edited by adhoc

I love how they get right into the competition, with no messing around.

OK, as a guy who really hates cheese, too much cheese in the quick breads!

Contestant Paul said he liked the taste and the flavor of his ingredients.  :D

Waiting for the breads to cook forever in the oven must be nervewracking.

I really wanted to try Ugne's chocolate bread.  I love that they said it wasn't too sweet.

Paul and Mary went off to a Morris dancing class?  OMG.

Wait a minute, those ovens have proving doors and proving settings?  How much do those things, with their retractable doors, cost??? I have to wonder what the "room temperature" is in those tents, though.

I like that the technical challenge allowed them to bring recipes with them.

I had to look up saag aloo.  It's a spicy spinach and potato dish.

Oh, no, not truffle oil!  Gordon Ramsay would have a stroke.

With everybody who was having trouble unmolding their sculptures, couldn't they have greased the molds?

I wouldn't trust Sue to touch my sculpture, let alone help me to carry it up for judging.

I love how contestant Paul blushes when he gets praise.

Ian is rapidly becoming my favorite.

• Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Agreed. When they talked about the definition it sounded the same but in the US a cookbook of quick breads will have zucchini bread, fig bread, efc. Soda bread with its crosses is a quick bread but it's not what is generallt meant. Here quick breads can use anything for a liquid. 

And nd for pronunciation: it's not just how we hear things. On BBC America they call the U.S. president BAA- rack Obama, emphasis on first syllable.  There is really zero excuse for this. I find it a little bit rude. English habit is to emphasize first syllable... Chauffeur, garage... Of foreign words and theyve done that to Barack. But he pronounces his name quite clearly with emphasis on second syllable and rock is the sound of second syllable. Not "rick."

i love ove this show but this is the second episode in a row where there were things im completely uninterested in eating letting alone making. Baguettes bore me silly.

oh well. Aslan was a thing of beauty.

i predict top three will be Ian, Flora and Alvin.

ETA: Ian was not talking about having a drink in the bathtub but in the pub. A fizzy pop is s beer I think.

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 1

As Rinaldo clarified above, if you use baking soda as the leavening, you need to add acid, buttermilk being one example.  More recipes now use baking powder which has its own alkali and acid combination, so no additional acid is needed.  The thing they didn't mention is that you need to not overwork these doughs because the leavening starts acting once moist and continues to act with heat.  I have some very old recipes in which the leavening was dusted on the batter in the oven since it was single acting (that is, only affected by moisture).  That makes for a tricky bake.

I actually don't care for Irish Soda Bread.  I have had many versions and never really enjoyed it.  Some of their recipes looked good, mainly because of the add-ins.  It is trickier than quick breads that are based on a batter rather than a dough and made in a loaf pan.  The textures are so different. 

@Rick Kitchen they are all given a recipe for the technical challenge.  Part of what makes it more challenging is that the recipe does not have every detail.  So they aren't told how long the dough should proof or how long to bake it.   

I was surprised no one pulled out a handy thermometer to check the doneness of their bread.  I did love the lion and the bicycle.  The cornucopia made no sense to me. 

Regarding Dorret not having practiced her showstopper, IIRC, she said on Extra Slice that she'd changed from her original idea at the last minute and hadn't had time to practice the new one. maybe she'd have got a better outcome if she hadn't changed it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3