Type keyword(s) to search

F-U, Reboot-Mania: Express Your Hate Here

• Start Topic

(edited)

The CW is really intent on rebooting WB 90's series right now (Charmed and Roswell, and of course they did Fox's 90210 and Melrose Place a decade ago), so I've thought about what I can see them doing. That's when I realized that Felicity just isn't going to work as a reboot, unless it's significantly re-worked. In this current environment, a young affluent white girl who turns down a full ride to Stanford so that she can follow her crush to NYU (and discover herself in the process) is just is not going to elicit a lot of sympathy with a generation of young people that are looking down 100k-200k student loan bills.

The most likely one I can see happening is Buffy, because it seems like there have been various rumors of reboots for awhile now and the CW really is a genre network now. That's the reason why I don't think Dawson's Creek will happn, because straight teen dramas just don't seem to be doing well. (Riverdale is technically a non-genre teen drama, but I wouldn't call it straightfoward.)

If they do go with the vampire slayer Whedonverse, I actually hope they DON'T go with a Buffy. I mean, if you think about, there are supposed to be a long line of slayers. It'd be cool for them to pull a Miles Morales and build up another new slayer instead of just rebooting the same character.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

In this current environment, a young affluent white girl who turns down a full ride to Stanford so that she can follow her crush to NYU (and discover herself in the process) is just is not going to elicit a lot of sympathy with a generation of young people that are looking down 100k-200k student loan bills.

All of the reboots have been changed in a lot of ways and most have had changes of race/ethnicity in at least one or more of the lead characters so I doubt any of the above items would stay the same.

As for Buffy most of the talk of reboots have been shot down because of very vocal fan criticisms so I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, methodwriter85 said:

That's when I realized that Felicity just isn't going to work as a reboot, unless it's significantly re-worked. In this current environment, a young affluent white girl who turns down a full ride to Stanford so that she can follow her crush to NYU (and discover herself in the process) is just is not going to elicit a lot of sympathy with a generation of young people that are looking down 100k-200k student loan bills.

I thought that premise sucked then and it's the reason I didn't watch it.  Yet, so many people went along with it anyway.  And I bet they would today because as much as we might really not like certain out-of-date tropes, when it comes to fiction, we also might not just care.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought that premise sucked then and it's the reason I didn't watch it.  Yet, so many people went along with it anyway.  And I bet they would today because as much as we might really not like certain out-of-date tropes, when it comes to fiction, we also might not just care.

True. I still cannot believe that Pretty Little Liars bent over backwards to make it okay that Aria was having a relationship with her teacher to the point that everybody celebrated it at the end in their wedding. Or that whole "Oh, hey, let's make the trans woman CRAZY and EVIL!!!" plot. And this was all relatively recently.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

As for Buffy most of the talk of reboots have been shot down because of very vocal fan criticisms so I doubt that will happen anytime soon.

I mean, it is a very beloved property and a fandom that has been pretty downright nasty. (Michelle Tractenberg, who was 15, got death threats.) I mean, you can't really do a straight-up continuation because of the pesky "vampires can't age" deal while James Marsters and David Boreanaz obviously don't look the same way they did in 1998, although that could be solved by doing an animated feature instead.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

All of the reboots have been changed in a lot of ways and most have had changes of race/ethnicity in at least one or more of the lead characters so I doubt any of the above items would stay the same.

Yeah, honestly, the massive changes that Roswell undertook really made it easy to divorce the two in my mind. I do actually enjoy the reboot, although the showrunner is essentially Marti Noxon 2019, right down to speaking like a teenage girl when you're very past 30, being incredibly tone-deaf with fans, and making it pretty clear that they're using the show to fulfill their own agenda. (In Marti's case, it was venting her 20-something angst. In Carina's case, it's angsty slashfic.)

Maybe Felicity could be a first-generation Asian-American college student or something. That could be cool.

I still think it'd be incredibly tone-deaf to have a lead character reject a full-ride to a great school in this current environment where a kid can have 100k in student loan debt from just a public university education, so I kind of hope any future Felicity reboot would avoid that.

As for Dawson's Creek, I think the only reason it hasn't been done yet is because the CW really just doesn't have a good track record with straight-forward teenage dramas. If it does happen, I'm going to bet that they're going to pull a Roswell and have them being 20-somethings who deal with small-town life angst, kind of like the latter seasons of One Tree Hill.

• Love 2

Felicity just isn't going to work as a reboot, unless it's significantly re-worked. In this current environment, a young affluent white girl who turns down a full ride to Stanford so that she can follow her crush to NYU (and discover herself in the process) is just is not going to elicit a lot of sympathy with a generation of young people that are looking down 100k-200k student loan bills.

Even back in the day this annoyed the hell out of me!  I didn't bother to watch past that premise!!  

As for Buffy, I don't mind if they go with a past slayer (in the show proper, there was a black slayer in the 70s who was killed by Spike and he took her long leather coat to add to his wardrobe and in the 30s, the slayer was Korean).  It would make it easier to deal with non aging vamps by having a different slayer who encounters some of the same demons.  

If they go with a future slayer, it should be a few decades in the future.

• Love 3
(edited)

I kind of wish they would lean into the fact that they could basically pick any period in history and a slayer from every conceivable background/ethnicity and pick a new slayer who isn't Buffy. It'd be too easy to just cast an Latina actress and call her Buffy Verano or something.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 6

All That reboot (revival?):

Original Cast Members Kel Mitchell, Lori Beth Denberg and Josh Server Guest Star in Weekly Sketch Comedy Series Return

Nickelodeon's brand-new version of its legendary sketch comedy series, All That, returns on Saturday, June 15, at 8:30 p.m. (ET/PT), with an all new cast and performance by Grammy nominated multiplatinum powerhouse Jonas Brothers. The premiere also features appearances from legacy cast members Kel Mitchell, Lori Beth Denberg and Josh Server, who helped make the original series a 90s icon for an entire generation of kids. Executive produced by original cast member Kenan Thompson, All That will air weekly on Saturdays at 8:30 p.m. (ET/PT) on Nickelodeon.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2019/05/14/nickelodeon-sets-all-that-premiere-date-saturday-june-15-at-830-pm-et-pt-536311/20190514nickelodeon02/

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/14/2019 at 7:31 PM, Irlandesa said:

To be fair to Felicity, in season two during her therapy sessions, she discovers the real reason she decided to go to New York, which was to get away from her overbearing, controlling parents. Also, I think her parents were going to pay for Stanford; she didn’t get a full ride.

Edited by PepSinger
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, PepSinger said:

Also, I think her parents were going to pay for Stanford; she didn’t get a full ride.

That’s what I thought and that her dad was just being a controlling dick and refusing to pay for her education because he wasn’t happy that she didn’t go to Stanford. 

• Love 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

That’s what I thought and that her dad was just being a controlling dick and refusing to pay for her education because he wasn’t happy that she didn’t go to Stanford. 

Yep. In the second episode, he agreed to pay her tuition, but he refused to pay her room and board because she would’ve been living at home had she gone to Stanford. Therefore, she had to take out loans. Now, dad’s bullshit at the beginning of season four is another matter.

ETA: Found the transcript

Dad: Ok....well, I think we should talk about how you're going to do that. I mean, practically. If you'd attended Stanford, I was prepared to pay for your tuition. Which I'm still prepared to do. 

Felicity: (surprised) What? 

Dad: But I -- I want to be fair. If you'd stayed at home, room and board wouldn't have been an additional expense, so....I think you should be responsible for that. You think that's fair?

Since her dad is the one paying the tuition, I don’t think you have to rework that for a reboot. My issue is that I loved the original so much that I don’t know if I could love a reboot as much.

Edited by PepSinger
To add and correct info
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, PepSinger said:

living at home had she gone to Stanford. Ther

Which is bullshit because first years are  required to live on campus at Stanford..

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

This is what happens when you haven't watched the pilot of Felicity since WB was doing the reruns since the summer of 1999. LOL. Thanks for the memory refreshers.

Anyway, Party of 5 debuted their trailer. I'm still struggling to understand how undocumented workers could somehow own and run a restaurant but Roswell NM also has that plot going and it's just one of those things.

All I can say is that this show better have the balls to go through the teen daughter getting an abortion, especially since they do not have the excuse of Fox interfering and it's an incredibly timely issue right now. You do not get to trump how "woke" a reboot is because it's being built around a controversial issue but then ignore a still-timely storyline from the OG show because you don't want to anger people.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Which is bullshit because first years are  required to live on campus at Stanford..

I’m pretty sure exceptions are made when they’re local and living at home with mommy and daddy.

• Useful 1
(edited)
27 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I’m pretty sure exceptions are made when they’re local and living at home with mommy and daddy.

It’s actually really difficult even in the case of economic hardship to get an exemption,  which Felicity clearly didn’t have, at least back than it was mostly need blind and that was a requirement so they made it work. I have several close friends who grew up in East Palo Alto (ie poor but closer to the main campus than Felicity probably lived ) around this time and didn’t get exemptions  but how the tuition fees/grants/loans were structured was crazy different in the 90s/early00s.  and if you didn’t have the funds grants or work study was provided. Stanford like a lot of private schools pride themselves on fostering community by forcing everyone to live on campus at least their first year and make you have to apply for exemptions every year of undergrad and more than 90% of students continue to live on campus owned housing after the first year. Anyway a well off white girl isn’t getting the option to live at home and even more her parents as presented in the first two seasons aren’t about to not make their daughter live on campus like every single other student.

I am still bitter because my university not only required first year students to live on campus we weren’t allowed cars so my older sister got a brand new car of her choice for her graduation and I got a computer. 20 years later I still bring it up when my sister says my parents favor me more.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
On 5/2/2019 at 3:43 AM, bmasters9 said:

Not true-- I do like the Joey King 2010 Ramona film; it's one of my favorites. I only asked because Kromm was fine with films/shows made from established book series, and I was seeking clarification of what was being said; I did not realize that how I said it could lead you to believe otherwise.

Sorry for the confusion!

That's not what I said at all.

I said I was okay with them being REDONE MULTIPLE TIMES FOR TV.

My point is that if they're already making the jump of mediums--which inevitably changes and loses something in almost every case--that it's kind of bullshit to say that one specific adaptation in a different medium is "definitive". Because the BOOK is the definitive one. 

Also for a long time, maybe for most of the middle and end of the 20th century, TV adaptations tended to try to modernize the adaptations. But increasingly for older properties TV adaptations are being treated as period pieces.  Which is also part of why I think in some cases later adaptations can be better than early ones.  Not always, but it's certainly possible.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 2:38 AM, Kromm said:

That's not what I said at all.

I said I was okay with them being REDONE MULTIPLE TIMES FOR TV.

My point is that if they're already making the jump of mediums--which inevitably changes and loses something in almost every case--that it's kind of bullshit to say that one specific adaptation in a different medium is "definitive". Because the BOOK is the definitive one. 

Also for a long time, maybe for most of the middle and end of the 20th century, TV adaptations tended to try to modernize the adaptations. But increasingly for older properties TV adaptations are being treated as period pieces.  Which is also part of why I think in some cases later adaptations can be better than early ones.  Not always, but it's certainly possible.

Thanks for the clarification-- it's difficult sometimes for me to read between the lines of what someone here (or on any forum) has said in a post, and I, being autistic, have quite a few times taken what you have said (or anyone else has said) to have one meaning, when another was intended.

That said, I appreciate your bringing this up, because I was only guessing as to what you meant.

Edited by bmasters9
  • Love 2
(edited)

I only JUST became aware that there's a reboot of Party of Five and was very "WTF?  Why would you do that" about it just at seeing it existed.

That said, it's clear it's mostly taking the name, because... whoa. They certainly added a major 2018 spin to the concept with it becoming a deportation story instead of a car accident aftermath.  That takes balls, given that it means that 1/3rd of the country will simply rant at the screen or turn it off the moment they realize what's different about this version.

So that's at least interesting.

The other one I JUST heard about is The Jeffersons. I knew that an All In The Family thing was coming, but only just heard about The Jeffersons.  And then I find out it's just a one-off special consisting of BOTH shows--a reenactment with a modern cast.  That actually is... also an interesting idea.  And it's just two days away.

https://popculture.com/tv-shows/2019/05/20/who-stars-abc-live-all-in-the-family-the-jeffersons-special-cast/#4

I have to say I have some doubts about the cast.  Woody Harrelson as Archie?  Huh?  I can buy Jamie Foxx as George Jefferson though. 

Marisa Tomei as Edith is just plain bizarre.  As a reenactment this wouldn't be modernized, right?  So how the heck would she work doing this retro style?

Ellie Kemper as Gloria actually works for me.  Wanda Sykes as Louise is... an interesting choice but MIGHT work. Maybe.  Will Ferrell as Tom Willis is actually kind of inspired, as is Kerry Washington as Helen Willis.  And finally Ike Barinholtz as Mike?  I can't really form an opinion on that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Ugh.  I was maybe on board until I got to Will Ferrell's name.  Now, maybe not.  Not a big fan of Wanda Sykes, either.

Ferrell has always been good as a straightman though, and unlike his other work non-cringy.   Remember him as Alex Trebek on SNL?  That's the version of Ferrell I like. Not the one who pulls ridiculous faces. 

I think the role of Tom Willis as a foil for George Jefferson. Ergo, it's far more of a straightman role, since George is definitely the one tossing out the jokes. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Popples said:

I think Wanda Sykes would be better as Florence since Florence and George were always arguing.

Interestingly enough they went Hispanic with Florence. Justina Machado. 

• Useful 1
45 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Wanda Sykes and Justina Machado in one show?  I'm in!  I'd heard about this special in vague terms, meant to look more into it, didn't, and now I am definitely going to watch.

• Love 1
On 5/21/2019 at 10:33 PM, Kromm said:

No, they didn't.

Marla Gibbs showed up to reprise her role.

23 hours ago, Bastet said:

Wanda Sykes and Justina Machado in one show?  I'm in!  I'd heard about this special in vague terms, meant to look more into it, didn't, and now I am definitely going to watch.

Wanda was good. Hell, I enjoyed the nostalgia. Marisa was MVP.

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:17 PM, atomationage said:

Twin Peaks | Kyle MacLachlan & The Cast Talk About Returning | SHOWTIME Series (2017):

TP has its own YT channel

I was stoked until I saw the first ep and lost interest.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, BetterButter said:

Wait, that show's only been off the air for about five years!

• Love 2
23 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No, they didn't.

Reveal spoiler

Marla Gibbs showed up to reprise her role.

Wanda was good. Hell, I enjoyed the nostalgia. Marisa was MVP.

Yeah.  Either that was a fake casting spoiler always intended to be a foiler, or Miss Machado was legit cast at one point and got pushed to the side for the sake of a surprise cameo.

18 hours ago, Kromm said:

Yeah.  Either that was a fake casting spoiler always intended to be a foiler, or Miss Machado was legit cast at one point and got pushed to the side for the sake of a surprise cameo.

Just speculating - Marla Gibbs is 87. Maybe they were planning to use her all along but had Machado as a fall-back in case Marla couldn't do it for some reason.  It was such a treat to see her; she looks great!

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/24/2019 at 5:12 PM, MaryMitch said:

Just speculating - Marla Gibbs is 87. Maybe they were planning to use her all along but had Machado as a fall-back in case Marla couldn't do it for some reason.  It was such a treat to see her; she looks great!

Actually, I've come to think that Machado HAD to be a total foiler.  Here's why.  Florence's race probably is no issue at all in most Jefferson's episodes. But it seems very important to the specific episode they chose.  Louise's entire plot is based on the discomfort of having someone she sees so much of herself in working as her domestic servant (her friend Diane--who I didn't even recognize as Jackée Harry!). 

While that would still be at least somewhat true simply because Louise had a past which included work that wasn't entirely dissimilar, since this was set in the mid-70s, this was definitely just as much or more about the race of that person as well.  Louise was black.  Diane was black.  And so was this prospective hire, Florence.  That's why even though even though Louise was most resistant to treating Diane like her servant, she was still, even later, resistant to Florence, until... yet another black woman, Helen Willis, talked her through that discomfort.

And Florence's closing line of the show was entirely based on race--the "overcome" phrasing is very specific to the Civil Rights movement (even though two white singers, Pete Seeger and Joan Baez popularized it, it was basically the main anthem of the movements--up to and including being sung by the crowd at MLK's funeral).  The line just doesn't work the same way with a Hispanic, as common as it was and still is for them to be maids, and for in their own community for their to be similar feelings about a social divide between the ones who "made it" and the ones who haven't.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2
(edited)
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2015 at 5:51 AM, bmasters9 said:

Who would be behind this Fantasy Island remake if it came to fruition? The reason I ask is that the original 1978-84 one with Ricardo Montalban and Herve Villechaize (and in 1983, Christopher Hewett, replacing Villechaize) was from Spelling/Goldberg IAW Columbia Pictures Television, as was T.J. Hooker and the remaining two seasons (1982-84) of Hart to Hart (Hart had Rona II in the mix as well).

Fantasy Island is one of the few shows I think could be remade and may be better now than it was in the 1980s, especially if you incorporated technology, VR, sci fi and made it kind of a Black Mirror type show. 

So basically if you made it Westworld but didn't focus on the backstory of the park but did different weekly characters in different settings,  it could be anywhere, not just the old west

But things like.....A Flinstones remake, for adults?  Seriously?  Who thinks that shit up?

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-flintstones-animated-series-reboot-warner-bros-animation-elizabeth-banks-1202645055/

And with Elizabeth Banks producing, to top it all off?  Not a big fan of her overzealous and screen chewing acting, doubt she is better at producing

Edited by DrSpaceman
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

But things like.....A Flintstones remake, for adults?  Seriously?  Who thinks that shit up?

https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-flintstones-animated-series-reboot-warner-bros-animation-elizabeth-banks-1202645055/

It's ridiculous to claim that this reboot is an "adult" Flintstones, since the original show was ALWAYS aimed at adults. It was inspired by The Honeymooners (Jackie Gleason almost sued Hanna-Barbera over it, in fact), and most, if not all, of the humor would have gone right over the average kid's head, since it was directed at the grownups who'd be watching.

But hopefully it will be better than that "Bullwinkle" reboot abomination of a few years ago. I'm still scarred from seeing how THAT part of my childhood was massacred!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 7/12/2019 at 11:05 AM, DrSpaceman said:

And with Elizabeth Banks producing, to top it all off?  Not a big fan of her overzealous and screen chewing acting, doubt she is better at producing

If the upcoming stinky looking Charlie's Angels movie is any indication?  I doubt it. Although I suppose you could measure her by the silly Pitch Perfect movies too. 

Fantasy Island is one of the few shows I think could be remade and may be better now than it was in the 1980s, especially if you incorporated technology, VR, sci fi and made it kind of a Black Mirror type show.

Barry Sonnefeld did a reboot of it around 1998 or 99 which was great, but tanked in the ratings. Malcolm McDowell played a very dark version of Roarke. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

It's ridiculous to claim that this reboot is an "adult" Flintstones, since the original show was ALWAYS aimed at adults. It was inspired by The Honeymooners (Jackie Gleason almost sued Hanna-Barbera over it, in fact), and most, if not all, of the humor would have gone right over the average kid's head, since it was directed at the grownups who'd be watching.

But hopefully it will be better than that "Bullwinkle" reboot abomination of a few years ago. I'm still scarred from seeing how THAT part of my childhood was massacred!

To me the issue is that there's no compelling reason to redo it.  I can't see a twist on it or reinvention of it working, and yet if you don't do one, why do you need it?  As evidenced by how little ANYONE remembers all of the followup Flintstones shows after the original (which to be fair, all which seemed to miss the point and treat it like a kids show--although that kind of made sense for the Saturday morning time slots they all had instead of the primetime slot of the original). 

• Love 2
On 7/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, Kromm said:

To me the issue is that there's no compelling reason to redo it.  I can't see a twist on it or reinvention of it working, and yet if you don't do one, why do you need it?

I agree.  Considering how far technology has come since the original series debuted, I imagine it would be hard to try to make a prehistoric version of the internet, etc.  Besides, I'm not sure if I'd like what they might do to the characters.  "Updating" these days often means character ruin!

On 7/13/2019 at 7:43 PM, Kromm said:

Elizabeth Banks producing, to top it all off?

Considering her bastardization of Charlie's Angels (seriously, who asked for that??), I do NOT have high hopes.  Makes me want Seth McFarland back in the running again!  Considering his success with The Orville, maybe his version WOULD be better.  It always comes down to knowing the material and respecting it and the fans, as well as being able to attract new ones.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:56 PM, Kromm said:

As evidenced by how little ANYONE remembers all of the followup Flintstones shows after the original (which to be fair, all which seemed to miss the point and treat it like a kids show--although that kind of made sense for the Saturday morning time slots they all had instead of the primetime slot of the original). 

True.  The original was aimed at adults (at the very least it could be viewed by the whole family even if little kids might not get all the jokes), and once it was syndicated and put on Saturdays, all subsequent incarnations became kiddified and don't hold up particularly well.  

• Love 4

So they are making St Elmos Fire into a TV series?

https://tvline.com/2019/08/14/st-elmos-fire-tv-series-adaptation-nbc/

Why?  I mentioned an another thread, I watched that movie recently for the first time.  It sucks REALLY, REALLY bad and is REALLY, REALLY dated. 

Who is just aching to watch these characters again? 

Also The Last Days of Disco is much the same movie and is a much better movie as well.  Better written, better acted, dare I say, maybe even a better soundtrack.  Just better all around.

On 8/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, DrSpaceman said:

they are making St Elmos Fire into a TV series?

Why?  I mentioned an another thread, I watched that movie recently for the first time.  It sucks REALLY, REALLY bad and is REALLY, REALLY dated. 

Also The Last Days of Disco is much the same movie and is a much better movie as well.  Better written, better acted, dare I say, maybe even a better soundtrack.  Just better all around.

Who wants to bet on the token black character being a raceflipped Emilio Estevez? He feels the most disconnected from the general narrative of the movie since he spends his time chasing after his crush who's outside of the group.

I also think Mare Winningham's character will be raceflipped to her either being Asian or Hispanic. Being Jewish isn't really enough anymore for "diversity" points like it was back in the 80's. I seriously wonder how a social worker is going to afford her own apartment at 22 in current Washington, D.C rentals, even though she had her school paid for.

I cannot picture a Felicity reboot. 

I can't see it either mainly because I imagine any current college student facing down 150k-250k in student loans for a fancy private university education would be absolutely pissed at Felicity for turning down her parents funding Stanford (which is now currently a $200,000 education) so she can go chase a crush at NYU (also currently a $200,000 education), take out a shitload of loans, and feel more independence. That's just outright stupidity. It doesn't make her look like a whimiscal young woman breaking free...it makes her just look like ungrateful, entitled, delusional poor little rich girl with no concept of what owing 200k in student loans means because she grew up in an affluent family.

Although of course, according to the people who remember the show better, Daddy and Mommy wind up relenting anyway so Felicity only has to cover her room and board. Still, that's 18k a year, which means that Felicity is still going to take out 80k in student loans just to cover her living expenses.

NYU is absolutely astronomical. Geez. I can't picture Felicity getting federal aid based on the fact that she has parents that can swing over 50k a year in tuition.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 5/19/2019 at 5:24 AM, kariyaki said:

On 5/19/2019 at 5:42 AM, biakbiak said:

It’s actually really difficult even in the case of economic hardship to get an exemption,  which Felicity clearly didn’t have, at least back than it was mostly need blind and that was a requirement so they made it work. I have several close friends who grew up in East Palo Alto (ie poor but closer to the main campus than Felicity probably lived ) around this time and didn’t get exemptions  but how the tuition fees/grants/loans were structured was crazy different in the 90s/early00s.  and if you didn’t have the funds grants or work study was provided. Stanford like a lot of private schools pride themselves on fostering community by forcing everyone to live on campus at least their first year and make you have to apply for exemptions every year of undergrad and more than 90% of students continue to live on campus owned housing after the first year. Anyway a well off white girl isn’t getting the option to live at home and even more her parents as presented in the first two seasons aren’t about to not make their daughter live on campus like every single other student.

I am still bitter because my university not only required first year students to live on campus we weren’t allowed cars so my older sister got a brand new car of her choice for her graduation and I got a computer. 20 years later I still bring it up when my sister says my parents favor me more.

I'm just here to cosign what biakbiak said. I grew up in Palo Alto, and 20 kids from my senior class went to Stanford. It was common knowledge that Stanford required freshman to live on campus freshman year, so at the very least, Felicity's dad would have had to pay for her housing at Stanford for her freshman year if she decided to go there.

• Love 4
On 9/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, biakbiak said:

Stop the fucking madness!  

This goes beyond my usual just not understanding why they bothered with a sequel to a popular show.  In this case I really cannot wrap my mind around the idea of a sequel to this program set in the present day.  WTF?  Unless it's set in some alternate universe or something.........

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 4:51 PM, biakbiak said:

Stop the fucking madness!  

I think a sequel, particularly one with no direct link to the original, requires a similar tone to the original.  I can't possibly see how a "treasure hunt" plotline could ever have that.

Hogan's Heroes is a tough one, because what other circumstance evokes the same feel?  Nothing.  The only possible plot I could think of would be the descendants stuck together in a different prison camp, and the only possible candidates now would be being kept prisoner by Islam extremists, or being kept quietly under wraps (it would have to be because we aren't at war with them) by the Chinese, Russians or North Koreans.  And both of those are considerably more brutal than the tone we associate with the POW camp in Hogan's Heroes.  Even going back in time doesn't work. The Vietnamese POW camps?  Also brutal.  And unlike WWII, the public awareness of these eras and the treatment of POWs is solid enough that you can't fudge it, like they did with Hogan's Heroes. 

• Love 5
On 8/16/2019 at 8:53 AM, DrSpaceman said:

So they are making St Elmos Fire into a TV series?

The premise of it is a group of self indulgent college friends that graduate and goon to start their adult lives and hang out at their old bar.

Its so generic that they've made a thousand different variations of it and the movie was unlikely to be the first.  They just wanted a hook to draw eyeballs because networks are all convinced that the name recognition gives them an edge.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I like Mayim Bialik and Jim Parsons as a pairing, but one of the things I loved about Miranda was watching the awkward girl get an awesome and super hot guy. And no offense to him, but Jim Parsons is no Tom Ellis.

Jim Parsons isn’t going to be a lead on the series. He is an executive producer. 

I saw the pilot of Party of 5. Party of 5 was actually pretty good. I mean, it's an entirely different show with different characters, but it had a vibe that did remind me of the OG show, especially before it went full-blown soap once Bailey became an alcoholic. I found myself liking and rooting for the characters.

The premise of it is a group of self indulgent college friends that graduate and goon to start their adult lives and hang out at their old bar.

Its so generic that they've made a thousand different variations of it and the movie was unlikely to be the first.  They just wanted a hook to draw eyeballs because networks are all convinced that the name recognition gives them an edge.

I always kind of wanted a reboot that was set against the backdrop of the 2008 Financial Crisis/Election of Barrack Obama, but whatever.

My predictions- Aly Sheedy's character will be raceflipped to a light-skinned back girl, Andrew McCarthy's character will actually be gay (and made either Latino or Asian),  Mare Winningham's character will be made Muslim, and Emilio Estevez's character arc will be deemed too creepy in the MeToo era and dropped or heavily modified.

Edited to add: I just realized they could touch on the topic of gentrifying D.C. That could be interesting.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1